Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-08-04 10:23 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Originally posted by wenceslasz

I've got a week of training and then a taper for my Challenge Bike Relay (180km). The race is 3 weeks from today and I'm not happy with how I feel. I went out today for a 120km ride and I was 15 minutes faster than last week but I was just as bagged by the time I reached the top of Yellow Lake so I'm worried about how slow I am with all the climbing and how uncomfortable I was on my saddle.

I'm hoping my bike fitting will make enough of a difference that I'll be able to ride with a lot less saddle discomfort and ride another 60km comfortably.

After the bike relay I may sign up for an Oly on Sept. 8th. I'll have to decide pretty soon.

George

Holy smokes!! you went 75 miles by yourself or with friends? If you went by yourself how do it without getting borred. The most i made by myself is 50 miles. It gotta be a bike ride for me with RS if i am going 65+ miles. Anyway good job on the bike workout and Goodluck to your bike race.

Cheers!!

2013-08-05 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by wenceslasz I've got a week of training and then a taper for my Challenge Bike Relay (180km). The race is 3 weeks from today and I'm not happy with how I feel. I went out today for a 120km ride and I was 15 minutes faster than last week but I was just as bagged by the time I reached the top of Yellow Lake so I'm worried about how slow I am with all the climbing and how uncomfortable I was on my saddle. I'm hoping my bike fitting will make enough of a difference that I'll be able to ride with a lot less saddle discomfort and ride another 60km comfortably. After the bike relay I may sign up for an Oly on Sept. 8th. I'll have to decide pretty soon.
Wow George, 15 minutes is huge, awesome work.  Have you not had a bike fitting yet?  Made a *tremendous* difference in comfort level for me, I'm sure it will for you as well.
2013-08-05 1:01 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Getting excited for my race Sunday.  The weather in Folsom is going to be great.  I was up there this weekend and it was beatiful, supposed to be nearly identical to today.  Weather.com tells me that though it's a high of 91 or so, by 1 o'clock it should only have reached into the low 80's, which more or less jives with what I experienced this weekend.  Not too windy, either, but that is harder to predict.

I'm considering getting a myathlete tracker for the weekend, going to talk to the boss about it tonight.

2013-08-05 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

I'm considering getting a myathlete tracker for the weekend, going to talk to the boss about it tonight.

So we can not stalk you? Wink

2013-08-05 2:16 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
So those of you who are racing this weekend, what are your goals? What are your strategies?
2013-08-05 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by miche033

So we can not stalk you? Wink

Hah!  Well, of course!  Also because most of my family and friends live in Chicago, which is where I am originally from.  Would be cool for them to be able to track me.  Unfortunately I guess they don't orders less than 8 days before race day so it's not an option for this time.  Maybe next time. 

2013-08-05 6:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by miche033 So those of you who are racing this weekend, what are your goals? What are your strategies?
I'm racing a 70.3 this Sunday, the Folsom Long Course Triathlon, company is USA Productions.  They put on a lot of tris around the East Bay area, stretching out to Folsom.  Anyways, this is my first one, so my main goal is to finish and have fun with it.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't also going to be trying for sub-6.  But I aim to finish this time, and have a positive experience so that next year I can destroy whatever time I get this year.

This may be my first 70.3 but it's not my first dog and pony show, so I feel pretty good about my plan.  Not to gameplan too much, but:

Race starts at 7.  Transition area opens at 5:30.  Wake up at 4 or 4:30, eat a clif bar or something like that.  Make my smoothie (berries, OJ, greek yogurt, almond meal, little bit of banana, flax seed), drink that between 5 and 5:30 on the way to race.  Maybe eat some peanut butter if I'm feeling frisky.  Honey stinger blocks at around 6:45-ish. 

Try and swim straight.  This has been my biggest problem on the swim.  I don't panic, I don't really get tired or out of breath on the swim because I treat it as a warmup for the rest of the race, but I need to learn how to swim straight.  I should be slightly better at this than my previous race because my masters coach has helped me a bit, but still.  Have working goggles this time too so I should be able to sight better.

Throw on a bunch of sunblock in transition.  Have three bottles of skratch on the bike, and I'm still deciding between bringing gels or making a gel flask and throwing it in the bento box.  Already done the bike course so pretty much know what to expect.  Don't push too hard, spin the uphills, take advantage of the down.  Stay aero most of the time.  Hoping for sub-3.  Probably try and switch out one of my bottles at one of the aid stations. Take a gel or swig of gel flask every half hour.

On the run, hoping to push a 9 min mile pace but that may be hoping for too much.  If I do the gel flask thing just bring that with me, and take that with course water.  Not sure what to expect on the run, never done anything like this.

2013-08-05 9:41 PM

User image

Originally posted by miche033 So those of you who are racing this weekend, what are your goals? What are your strategies?
I'm racing a 70.3 this Sunday, the Folsom Long Course Triathlon, company is USA Productions.  They put on a lot of tris around the East Bay area, stretching out to Folsom.  Anyways, this is my first one, so my main goal is to finish and have fun with it.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't also going to be trying for sub-6.  But I aim to finish this time, and have a positive experience so that next year I can destroy whatever time I get this year.

This may be my first 70.3 but it's not my first dog and pony show, so I feel pretty good about my plan.  Not to gameplan too much, but:

Race starts at 7.  Transition area opens at 5:30.  Wake up at 4 or 4:30, eat a clif bar or something like that.  Make my smoothie (berries, OJ, greek yogurt, almond meal, little bit of banana, flax seed), drink that between 5 and 5:30 on the way to race.  Maybe eat some peanut butter if I'm feeling frisky.  Honey stinger blocks at around 6:45-ish. 

Try and swim straight.  This has been my biggest problem on the swim.  I don't panic, I don't really get tired or out of breath on the swim because I treat it as a warmup for the rest of the race, but I need to learn how to swim straight.  I should be slightly better at this than my previous race because my masters coach has helped me a bit, but still.  Have working goggles this time too so I should be able to sight better.

Throw on a bunch of sunblock in transition.  Have three bottles of skratch on the bike, and I'm still deciding between bringing gels or making a gel flask and throwing it in the bento box.  Already done the bike course so pretty much know what to expect.  Don't push too hard, spin the uphills, take advantage of the down.  Stay aero most of the time.  Hoping for sub-3.  Probably try and switch out one of my bottles at one of the aid stations. Take a gel or swig of gel flask every half hour.

On the run, hoping to push a 9 min mile pace but that may be hoping for too much.  If I do the gel flask thing just bring that with me, and take that with course water.  Not sure what to expect on the run, never done anything like this.

I like the way you are going about it. I'm pretty systematic myself and it appeals to me to have a plan and goals to focus on along the way. Also, to measure yourself against at the end. Can't wait to hear how it goes. Go get it!
2013-08-05 9:41 PM

User image

I like the way you are going about it. I'm pretty systematic myself and it appeals to me to have a plan and goals to focus on along the way. Also, to measure yourself against at the end. Can't wait to hear how it goes. Go get it!
2013-08-06 7:57 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Sounds like a good plan. If it turns out you figure out you aren't going sub 6, go into totally have fun mode and soak it in. On my last half I came in off the bike set up to go sub 6 and within a mile I new I would end up hurting myself and probably in the med tent if I went for it due to the heat. I went in to have fun mode and had a blast (except for the last couple miles doing the walk/run through unshaded cornfields).
2013-08-06 10:02 AM

User image

I am not doing anything as daunting as a 70.3 this weekend but I am working out a strategy for my oly tri. Last time a had a poor showing at 2:50 so I put in some more time on the bike (my weakness) and am hoping for a 2:40 or under. I do not want to burn myself out on the bike though because I would also like to get my run under 45 minutes. Anyways my strategy is to survive the swim, hydrate during the race with two gels spaced out during the bike, and then hammer it on the run. Also, Ransick I like your plan to just enjoy yourself if you know that you won't hit your goal without killing yourself. I will have to remember that when I attempt a HIM hopefully next year.

2013-08-06 11:42 AM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles

I am not doing anything as daunting as a 70.3 this weekend but I am working out a strategy for my oly tri. Last time a had a poor showing at 2:50 so I put in some more time on the bike (my weakness) and am hoping for a 2:40 or under. I do not want to burn myself out on the bike though because I would also like to get my run under 45 minutes. Anyways my strategy is to survive the swim, hydrate during the race with two gels spaced out during the bike, and then hammer it on the run. Also, Ransick I like your plan to just enjoy yourself if you know that you won't hit your goal without killing yourself. I will have to remember that when I attempt a HIM hopefully next year.

next year??? after two Olys i am sure you would want more!!
2013-08-06 8:51 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

I will definitely do some more olys next year! I just wanted to finish off my season of training with a big race.
2013-08-06 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by strykergt

Originally posted by wenceslasz

I've got a week of training and then a taper for my Challenge Bike Relay (180km). The race is 3 weeks from today and I'm not happy with how I feel. I went out today for a 120km ride and I was 15 minutes faster than last week but I was just as bagged by the time I reached the top of Yellow Lake so I'm worried about how slow I am with all the climbing and how uncomfortable I was on my saddle.

I'm hoping my bike fitting will make enough of a difference that I'll be able to ride with a lot less saddle discomfort and ride another 60km comfortably.

After the bike relay I may sign up for an Oly on Sept. 8th. I'll have to decide pretty soon.

George

Holy smokes!! you went 75 miles by yourself or with friends? If you went by yourself how do it without getting borred. The most i made by myself is 50 miles. It gotta be a bike ride for me with RS if i am going 65+ miles. Anyway good job on the bike workout and Goodluck to your bike race.

Cheers!!

Whether I'm training or riding in a race I usually find myself alone on the route. Somehow, I seem to ride at a pace that leaves me on my own. I don't really get bored. There is always something happening to keep me on my toes. I also had my wife driving the route as my Sherpa which really helps and she carries all my water bottles and nutrition.

This last ride on Sunday I met quite a few people out on the same route as me. I met several fellows and a woman who were each training for Challenge like me and when I pulled into the Yellow Lake rest stop there was a cyclist looking for water to fill his bottles. I had plenty of water left over so we filled all three of his bottles. Turns out the fellow was from Philadelphia and cycle touring across Canada headed for Vancouver then south to Seattle.

2013-08-06 9:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by wenceslasz I've got a week of training and then a taper for my Challenge Bike Relay (180km). The race is 3 weeks from today and I'm not happy with how I feel. I went out today for a 120km ride and I was 15 minutes faster than last week but I was just as bagged by the time I reached the top of Yellow Lake so I'm worried about how slow I am with all the climbing and how uncomfortable I was on my saddle. I'm hoping my bike fitting will make enough of a difference that I'll be able to ride with a lot less saddle discomfort and ride another 60km comfortably. After the bike relay I may sign up for an Oly on Sept. 8th. I'll have to decide pretty soon.
Wow George, 15 minutes is huge, awesome work.  Have you not had a bike fitting yet?  Made a *tremendous* difference in comfort level for me, I'm sure it will for you as well.

I had the bike fitting today and I'm not sure what to make of it. In the end all that was done was my saddle was raised 21mm and moved back some as well. I know subtle changes can have big effects but after 3 hours of fidgeting I expected more. I sure hope it makes a big difference. I'll be really disappointed if it doesn't make any difference at all.

I'll be thinking about you come Sunday. I hope you have as much fun as I did at Lake Stevens.

Good luck to everyone else racing this weekend as well. I'm a bit behind so I'm not sure who all is competing this weekend.

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-08-06 10:03 PM
2013-08-07 6:03 AM

User image

Regular
Baltimore, maryland
I have my first ever bike fitting next Tuesday
Like you, I am not sure how much to expect from it, but i figure I should get it done if i have any hopes of doing longer races next year.

I will report back next week.

Happy training, be safe.
Rick

2013-08-07 8:48 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Goodluck Joe!!! You are so prepared and ready for this.

I envy you being at the bay area. I hope I am still at Pleasanthill alot of events going on at the Bayarea.

Cheers man!!!

2013-08-08 12:11 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Guys/Gals

I am doing my first Oly on Sept.2 is there a taper period for Oly?

If you want to do two Oly's one week apart is it ok? repurcussions?

Let me know

thanks

Carl
2013-08-08 8:29 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by strykergt

Guys/Gals

I am doing my first Oly on Sept.2 is there a taper period for Oly?

If you want to do two Oly's one week apart is it ok? repurcussions?

Let me know

thanks

Carl

Yes you taper for an Oly if you want to go in fresh and do your best. Check out the taper on a couple plans and pick which one works for you. I cut my volume quite a bit, do short workouts with brief, fast intervals to get the blood flowing but nothing to tire me out. Two days before the race I do itching. Day before I like to leisurely swim the sprint course, bike the run course, then run a mile or two, all fairly easy but I may briefly get up to race pace on the bike and run.

Back to back races is no problem but don't expect peak performance on the second race. Last year I did back to back sprint then Oly races. I went all out in the sprint going for a PR and I was shot for the next several days (more sore than after an Oly). Second race I was lined up for a PR going in to the run but didn't have enough in the tank to pull it off.
2013-08-08 11:24 AM
in reply to: Tri Rick Tri

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by Tri Rick Tri I have my first ever bike fitting next Tuesday Like you, I am not sure how much to expect from it, but i figure I should get it done if i have any hopes of doing longer races next year. I will report back next week. Happy training, be safe. Rick
The adjustments my fitter made were not huge.  I think he moved my seat down a touch, moved it back a touch, and played with my cleats a touch.  The most adjustment he made, and what subsequently feels like it made the biggest difference, happened to be to my aerobars.  In the end though, just a touch here and there made a huge difference.  I could barely stay aero comfortably for an hour before, and a couple weeks after the fit I was taking 2-3 hour rides staying aero most of the time.

2013-08-08 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Last night I had the triathlon equivalent of the 'giving a presentation naked' dream.  Started the tri, swim actually went pretty well, it was in a canal or something so there was no way to *not* go straight.  So I was one of the first out of the swim (not realistic), but once I got to T1 everything went bad.  I realized I was wearing swim jammers, not my tri shorts, and I wasn't about to go for a 3 hour ride in swim jammers so I had to change.  Then I couldn't find my gels or sunblock or anything, so I was rifling through all my stuff while swimmers got out and then got on their bikes and left.  I was in T1 for around a half hour, and then when I finally got on my bike I realized I didn't have my helmet...

Then I woke up.  Here's hoping I have a better experience this weekend

I know several people here have mentioned they left T2 still wearing their helmet. Haven't done that yet, but I guess it's just a matter of time

2013-08-08 1:11 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Last night I had the triathlon equivalent of the 'giving a presentation naked' dream.  Started the tri, swim actually went pretty well, it was in a canal or something so there was no way to *not* go straight.  So I was one of the first out of the swim (not realistic), but once I got to T1 everything went bad.  I realized I was wearing swim jammers, not my tri shorts, and I wasn't about to go for a 3 hour ride in swim jammers so I had to change.  Then I couldn't find my gels or sunblock or anything, so I was rifling through all my stuff while swimmers got out and then got on their bikes and left.  I was in T1 for around a half hour, and then when I finally got on my bike I realized I didn't have my helmet...

I know several people here have mentioned they left T2 still wearing their helmet. Haven't done that yet, but I guess it's just a matter of time

I blogged about one of my funny tri dreams. They aren't so funny while you are having them though. Here it is if you want a laugh. http://blog.ransick.org/2011/04/funny-tri-dream-1-week-until-nola-7...

Had several other ones including one where I came into T1 and couldn't find my bike. After looking for it frantically while everyone else cleared T1, I realized I never racked it and it was in the trunk of my car. Scary while having the dream, pretty funny afterward :-).
2013-08-08 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Nice! Get it out of your system. I grew up playing soccer. My stress dreams are always, I'm late to the game and I forgot my gloves/shin guards/shoes.

I'm sure you'll do T1 in under 30 min! haha! Have a fantastic race. You've got a good plan. You've trained hard. Now enjoy the payoff.

2013-08-08 10:23 PM
in reply to: Tri Rick Tri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by Tri Rick Tri

I have my first ever bike fitting next Tuesday
Like you, I am not sure how much to expect from it, but i figure I should get it done if i have any hopes of doing longer races next year.

I will report back next week.

Happy training, be safe.
Rick

I went out for my 1st post-bike-fit ride today. I went with an open mind just trying to see how the bike felt. I can't say I was any faster but I did feel faster and more comfortable on the ride. I had two good hill climbs (one each way) and both felt faster and easier. In fact on my 2nd climb I kept up with a fellow that usually rides up several minutes faster than me. I don't think I pedaled any faster/harder than usual.

Also, on the 1st half of the ride I had a tailwind I was unaware of and I finished it in 1:21:00. When I stopped at the turn around point I realized there was a quite strong north wind to ride into all the way home. When we got home I was amazed that I still felt strong riding into that headwind and my 2nd half was 1:32:xx so some slower than the 1st half but I think faster than I would have been before the fitting. At least it felt faster.

I had saddle issues on my long Sunday ride so I expected more trouble but instead of wearing my bike shorts as I did for the two long rides I wore my tri-shorts and I still had issues but far less than I did with the bike shorts.
2013-08-08 10:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Nice dream Joe. Some months back there was a thread on Triathlon horror stories. People forgetting where their bikes were racked and things like that but the funniest were several picks of people putting their helmets on backwards. Just make sure you make note of where your bike is racked and don't put your helmet on backwards. In transition I put my helmet on my bike seat so no problem remembering it (can't help you with a way to remembering to take your helmet off - I'm usually just glad to be able to take it off).

You're going to have a lot of fun. I'm so envious.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41