BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-01-17 3:22 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed

So my 3 mile run was good, but not as good as I had hoped. About a mile in my foot felt sore again, even after adjusting my laces so that there was almost no pressure on the top of the foot. Still managed to go the full distance at a slow 9:55 pace. The warm weather didn't help much either, felt like a summer day out there. I'm going to stick to my running plan for next week and see how it goes.

Tonight I'll be rewarding myself with a tasty IPA for a week well done! If I'm lucky my favorite watering hole has something new on tap.

2014-01-17 3:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cynthia I hope you feel better.

17/31 I planned on a long run but had some major pain in my right leg just above ankle (outside). I noticed I was hobbling, and it was more than discomfort so I called it at 4 miles. Can't tell if its swollen but it is a dull ach unless I move my foot then it becomes a sharp pain. If I touch the area even lightly it explodes with pain. I'm going to take it easy and see if it helps.

I stretched and did an upper body weights session but really was not motivated. I also did push up challenge.

PS no beer tonight as I'm working, but tomorrow I have a function with an open bar so I'm sure I'll have 1 or 12

Edited by b2b14 2014-01-17 3:32 PM
2014-01-17 5:37 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by b2b14

Can't tell if its swollen but it is a dull ach unless I move my foot then it becomes a sharp pain. If I touch the area even lightly it explodes with pain.

Exploding pain on touch sounds like a stress fracture!

2014-01-17 6:58 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
PT visit done. She did some ultrasound thingy and gave me exercises to do. Also put some patch on my leg at the spots. It turns out that it's not just ITBS there are 3 different things going on in there. May all be related or may not...too soon to tell. A few weeks of therapy and strengthening exercises will tell her more. She wants me back Tuesday for another patch (god knows what it is for or what it does). It's not a pain patch but some type of steroid. Then back to her on Thursday for more therapy. I'm working on her to order me a set of NormaTec boots How sweet would that be! They give out Tens (sp?) units like free samples so what's a few hundred more for someone that will use it.
2014-01-17 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by drfoodlove

14/31 with 4000yds in the pool. If a 4 time Olympian calls something a "She-Ra" set, you should believe her.

My reward will be margaritas out at the happy hour to celebrate my student, and I'm calling it right now, there will be more than one!

Well done. Even training my HIM It would take me 2+ sessions to get 4000 yds in. That is epic.
You've earned every ounce of those beverages.

Edited by kevinbe 2014-01-17 8:07 PM
2014-01-17 8:56 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Lansing, Michigan
16/31 I had to take the middle of the week of because of good old Strep Throat. I swam Monday morning and felt great but by lunch I was crashing really hard. the next 48 hours I was completely out of commission. Yesterday back in the saddle with a short cycle trainer ride. No fuel and being a little dehydrated did not make for a very productive workout. Today is a new day!!! I read about a workout in Men's Health to help with my speed so I gave it a try

Here goes:

• 25 warm up
  • 2 mile jog / run increasing the pace after each song on my Ipod
    (.10 walk .15 sprint) X4 I start the walk at 4 and sprint at 9 and usually end at 10.5
    30 second rest 30 second run starting the treadmill on 2.5 incline and increasing 1 full level every cycle Don't slow the treadmill down just step off
    I ended up at level 11 ( I cheated on the last increase. This was kicking my butt )
    Warm down and I ended up at 5 miles

Awesome run workout

Give it a try

I've just picked up HopSlam Ale from Bells Brewery. I think I earned this one!!!

2014-01-17 9:21 PM
    in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Originally posted by MOlsen

Can't tell if its swollen but it is a dull ach unless I move my foot then it becomes a sharp pain. If I touch the area even lightly it explodes with pain.

I am just planning to take the running easy (IE not do it for a few days), but we are going to Disney this week and I know I will be walking a lot. I am planning lots of IB and Ice when possible. Any other advise?
    2014-01-17 10:17 PM

User image

Lansing, Michigan
    I'd be sure to wrap it if your doing that much walking
    Motrin is going to help also
    2014-01-17 10:24 PM

User image

Expert
    Spokane, WA

I am just planning to take the running easy (IE not do it for a few days), but we are going to Disney this week and I know I will be walking a lot. I am planning lots of IB and Ice when possible. Any other advise?
    Liberal amounts of alcohol
    2014-01-18 12:25 AM
    in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Originally posted by kevinbe

I like where your head is.
    2014-01-18 1:17 AM

User image

Regular
    Georgetown, KY
    Its been a crazy week for me. I've got in a few workouts, but I've missed two days. I am excited that I got to the gym and got my first swim in! 1200 yards in a little over 20 minutes. It felt good and I was surprised to see the pool pretty empty. It was just me and 2 other people. peaceful...

I hate to see so many of you fighting injury. Keep in mind it is January and we have a lot of time left to rest before serious trainin needs to start.

With all that time brings my question. My A race is Ironman 70.3 Silverman on October 5, and I am planning on doing the 20 week HIM plan to train for it. 20 weeks out from that race is the end of April. What should I do until then?? I feel like I need a plan, because just doing whatever I feel like each day isn't really keeping me motivated. Should I wait until April to start the 70.3 plan so I peak at the right time during the plan with the reccomended training times, or should I start now, and continue to build until a 2 week taper before the race?

2014-01-18 9:49 AM
    in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Veteran
    Illinois
    Originally posted by Bradleykd
    With all that time brings my question. My A race is Ironman 70.3 Silverman on October 5, and I am planning on doing the 20 week HIM plan to train for it. 20 weeks out from that race is the end of April. What should I do until then?? I feel like I need a plan, because just doing whatever I feel like each day isn't really keeping me motivated. Should I wait until April to start the 70.3 plan so I peak at the right time during the plan with the reccomended training times, or should I start now, and continue to build until a 2 week taper before the race?

Two words: Base Building. Lots of easy miles, lots of time in the saddle, and work on your technique in the pool.

Also, I'll parrot what my coach told me: hit your goal weight as soon as possible, so you won't short-change your nutrition when you're in the middle of training.

Your training miles are right around 11:00, so you can probably slice a minute off that if you focus on it. Something like the BarryP plan would probably work well - in a nutshell, run 6x per week, 3 runs at 1 unit, 2 runs at 2 units, and 1 run at 3 units. So, for example, if 2 miles is your "unit", then a week would be: off, 2, 4, 2, 6, 2, 4, 2, repeat. Or by time: 20, 40, 20, 60, 20, 40, 20, off.

The 20 week BT plan is also nicely laid out into blocks, so you can repeat the base blocks a couple of times.

Silverman has a fair bit of climbing (2,400 feet of gain, 2 cat 4s and a cat 5), so spending a lot of time on the bike and probably the trainer is time well spent - "I over-trained on the bike" said no triathlete ever. Trainer Road's base building plans are a great, if a bit mind-numbing. They also have a HIM cycling plan.

So, to recap: run more, swim more, mostly easy, sometimes hard.
    2014-01-18 10:12 AM
    in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
    Spokane, WA
    Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by Bradleykd

Two words: Base Building. Lots of easy miles, lots of time in the saddle, and work on your technique in the pool.

Also, I'll parrot what my coach told me: hit your goal weight as soon as possible, so you won't short-change your nutrition when you're in the middle of training.

Your training miles are right around 11:00, so you can probably slice a minute off that if you focus on it. Something like the BarryP plan would probably work well - in a nutshell, run 6x per week, 3 runs at 1 unit, 2 runs at 2 units, and 1 run at 3 units. So, for example, if 2 miles is your "unit", then a week would be: off, 2, 4, 2, 6, 2, 4, 2, repeat. Or by time: 20, 40, 20, 60, 20, 40, 20, off.

The 20 week BT plan is also nicely laid out into blocks, so you can repeat the base blocks a couple of times.

Silverman has a fair bit of climbing (2,400 feet of gain, 2 cat 4s and a cat 5), so spending a lot of time on the bike and probably the trainer is time well spent - "I over-trained on the bike" said no triathlete ever. Trainer Road's base building plans are a great, if a bit mind-numbing. They also have a HIM cycling plan.

So, to recap: run more, swim more, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

I'll add that a free OLY plan maybe a good way to have a structured build for to put you into the start of the HIM plan. But Charles is spot on about swim bike run more. Either doing the OLY plan or recycling the first period of the HIM plan 2x would be a good bet.
    I used the free HIM plan for my one and only HIM, and it was a good plan. I was able to make goals and achieve them in all three sports using it. There is also a cool beginner HIM thread in the Ironman training forum that will help with much insight. It's like 200 pages in, so it's been around a while.
    2014-01-18 1:55 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I would take this very seriously. I had to cancel my March marathon and a race today (Duathlon series) due to stress fracture. The hardest part here is that you can't tell if it's "bad enough" to rest for a few weeks until it develops and takes away your opportunity to run.

I had a pain on my right leg 2" above my ankle on the front of my shin (classic location for anterior shin splints) it was there for a few months, id run feel the pain, rest, try and come back then "take it easy" only to find it comes back again, "take it easy" the it comes back sooner. Needless to say I eventually couldn't run. I'm on week 5 of 8 resting and ABSOLUTLEY NO RUNNING. It's killing me because I'm a runner at heart.

The point, runners always push them selves saying "I'll go easy" but the truth is running is NEVER EASY on the body. If your aching and it's tender to the touch or has a shooting pain if tap it I'd be wary and cut the running all together. Ice, Focus on strengthening the shins/calves for a month or two, get into some downward dog, heat and massage, roll, and treat your calves/shin/ITB like a god because for so many of us it is a limiting factor.

Good luck! I'm using this time to focus on my swim form and bike strength which are my limiters so there is some good to come out of it. Hopefully your pain goes away but the wary I saw it was that it's better for me to take 8 weeks off now and focus on my weakness than battle injury all summer or go I to my long course training plan with a ticking time bomb.

Cheers,
    2014-01-18 2:04 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
    It's been a good few days for me. 1K in the pool yesterday then 16miles OUTSIDE on the bike this morning followed by 1/2HR strength session and them some foam rolling.

I had to cancel my Duathlon this morning (since I'm not running due to injury figured I should really commit to resting and it would be a bad idea to try and hop out on the race course). All of my pain has gone away with 4wks rest but I committed to 8 weeks so that's that. Anyway I still rode my bike to the reservoir the race was at, stopped by transition, checked out everyone's gear, picked up my goody bag, and rode home. I'm glad I went, it's fun just being in the race environment...and this is a definite "fun run" series so everyone was willing to chit chat about gear and setup etc without too much anxiety about the upcoming event.

I saw and old old old friend I played in a band with and went to his show last night. Denver Beer Co was next door so of course i stopped in. My IPA was "eh" but my girlfriends maple porter was delicious. Cheers!
    2014-01-18 3:56 PM
    in reply to: Brian W

User image

Expert
    Spokane, WA
    Originally posted by Brian W

I would take this very seriously. I had to cancel my March marathon and a race today (Duathlon series) due to stress fracture. The hardest part here is that you can't tell if it's "bad enough" to rest for a few weeks until it develops and takes away your opportunity to run.

I had a pain on my right leg 2" above my ankle on the front of my shin (classic location for anterior shin splints) it was there for a few months, id run feel the pain, rest, try and come back then "take it easy" only to find it comes back again, "take it easy" the it comes back sooner. Needless to say I eventually couldn't run. I'm on week 5 of 8 resting and ABSOLUTLEY NO RUNNING. It's killing me because I'm a runner at heart.

The point, runners always push them selves saying "I'll go easy" but the truth is running is NEVER EASY on the body. If your aching and it's tender to the touch or has a shooting pain if tap it I'd be wary and cut the running all together. Ice, Focus on strengthening the shins/calves for a month or two, get into some downward dog, heat and massage, roll, and treat your calves/shin/ITB like a god because for so many of us it is a limiting factor.

Good luck! I'm using this time to focus on my swim form and bike strength which are my limiters so there is some good to come out of it. Hopefully your pain goes away but the wary I saw it was that it's better for me to take 8 weeks off now and focus on my weakness than battle injury all summer or go I to my long course training plan with a ticking time bomb.

Cheers,
    Those are wise words Brian. I'm in that same boat. I missed all of 2013 trying to nurse along an injury I got from 2012 only to heal, and get reinjured. This year, I'm on the shelf until I'm healed, and I'm doing the same thing, focusing on the swim/bike while strengthening my body. When I come back, I want to be ready.

2014-01-18 4:26 PM
    in reply to: Brian W

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Alberta

Originally posted by Brian W It's been a good few days for me. 1K in the pool yesterday then 16miles OUTSIDE on the bike this morning followed by 1/2HR strength session and them some foam rolling. I had to cancel my Duathlon this morning (since I'm not running due to injury figured I should really commit to resting and it would be a bad idea to try and hop out on the race course). All of my pain has gone away with 4wks rest but I committed to 8 weeks so that's that. Anyway I still rode my bike to the reservoir the race was at, stopped by transition, checked out everyone's gear, picked up my goody bag, and rode home. I'm glad I went, it's fun just being in the race environment...and this is a definite "fun run" series so everyone was willing to chit chat about gear and setup etc without too much anxiety about the upcoming event. I saw and old old old friend I played in a band with and went to his show last night. Denver Beer Co was next door so of course i stopped in. My IPA was "eh" but my girlfriends maple porter was delicious. Cheers!

Man I envy you being able to bike outside...I wish!

2014-01-18 4:31 PM
    in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Alberta

Went for a great outdoor run. Icy but beautiful sunny day. long sleeve shirt running today. 28F and warming up! It almost feels like spring. Followed that up with a swim. 20/31 as of today!

Tonite I am teaching some people how to make perogies...they bring the beer, I supply the teaching. Not a good thing for losing weight but what the hell!

Looking forward to a beer!

2014-01-18 7:02 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    15/31--30min trainer ride after a long day at the office.
    2014-01-18 8:31 PM
    in reply to: #4915725

User image

New user
    Seattle
    Well, my goals won't be accomplished as well as last week, but instead of running and a push-up challenge, I did accomplish 6 hours of downhill skiing. My calves are crying, but they are up for another 2.5 hours tomorrow. Especially since the beers tonight include a 2007, 2008, and 2009 vertical of Dark Lord Russian Style Imperial Stout from Three Floyds Brewery in Munster, IN. My calves will do anything for those beers.
    2014-01-18 11:43 PM

User image

Expert
    Fallon, Nevada
    Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by SportzVision

Well I am still here...barely. Its been pretty rough with being sick. I had a103 fever a couple of times this week. The doctor has put me on some extremely strong antibiotics and if they don't work she is admitting me to the hospital. She seemed on the fence about admitting me today but i am really glad she didn't. I have been too weak to even sit up until now. Hopefully this is a good sign! I wanted to make the last year of my 40s epic...recovering from this infection will be my first epic accomplishment!

I pitty the germs or the virus that made the mistake of choosing you. Don't they know who they're messing with?

Seriously - I will be praying that the new antibiotics do their job. Take care of yourself and get well soon.

With a lil help from the positive thoughts from my friends I am on the mend! Thank you all!

At dinner last night I took in more calories in one meal than I had the prior five days combined; A slice of Cowboy Pizza and a Smoked Porter Vanilla Bean from Stone Brewery. I had finally had the stomach to eat ...over the last few weeks I have lost 10 pounds...all muscle I am sure.

My husband told me I finally had some color back this morning and wanted to know if that meant this afternoon I would be running the "I might be over this infection 5K" he had heard about ...ha ha he knows me too well. I did go on a mile walk with my grandson yesterday...that was a bit much.

2014-01-19 5:50 AM
    in reply to: SportzVision

User image

New user
    Madrid

Originally posted by Qua17

Well I am still here...barely. Its been pretty rough with being sick. I had a103 fever a couple of times this week. The doctor has put me on some extremely strong antibiotics and if they don't work she is admitting me to the hospital. She seemed on the fence about admitting me today but i am really glad she didn't. I have been too weak to even sit up until now. Hopefully this is a good sign! I wanted to make the last year of my 40s epic...recovering from this infection will be my first epic accomplishment!

I pitty the germs or the virus that made the mistake of choosing you. Don't they know who they're messing with?

Seriously - I will be praying that the new antibiotics do their job. Take care of yourself and get well soon.

With a lil help from the positive thoughts from my friends I am on the mend! Thank you all!

At dinner last night I took in more calories in one meal than I had the prior five days combined; A slice of Cowboy Pizza and a Smoked Porter Vanilla Bean from Stone Brewery. I had finally had the stomach to eat ...over the last few weeks I have lost 10 pounds...all muscle I am sure.

My husband told me I finally had some color back this morning and wanted to know if that meant this afternoon I would be running the "I might be over this infection 5K" he had heard about ...ha ha he knows me too well. I did go on a mile walk with my grandson yesterday...that was a bit much.

Glad you are back eating and training!
    The week was going well according to my plans, Friday started to rain so spinning class, rest day yesterday, and hope to do a long run this evening instead my long bike ride, as I do not have a trainer at home. Any suggestions? I have seen different options, fixed back wheel or just a roller.

2014-01-19 5:50 AM

User image

New user
    Madrid
    The week was going well according to my plans, Friday started to rain so spinning class, rest day yesterday, and hope to do a long run this evening instead my long bike ride, as I do not have a trainer at home. Any suggestions? I have seen different options, fixed back wheel or just a roller.

Edited by Juancho 2014-01-19 5:54 AM
    2014-01-19 9:21 AM
    in reply to: Juancho

User image

Veteran
    Illinois
    Originally posted by Juancho

Fluid trainers are generally the quietest, and have somewhat realistic rolldowns - it doesn't stop instantly when you stop pedaling.

I have two: a Cycleops Fluid 2 and a Performance Bike Travel Trac Comp Fluid. I really can't tell the difference between them when I'm on the bike, but the Travel Trac is a lot cheaper if you are buying retail. The Fluid 2 is nice since it has a quick release to get the bike out, whereas the Travel Trac has a screw release that takes about 3 minutes to undo.

Depending on what you are looking to spend (and how much VAT you get hit with in Spain), I would also look at a Wahoo Kickr, for the abillity to train with power. However, at ~$1,100 US, that would also compete with buying a Powertap and a Travel Trac, and the Powertap you can use outside.

Also, Trainer Road makes the trainer a lot more interesting, and in my mind is an automatic $10 per month from my bank account.
    2014-01-19 10:42 AM
    in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
    Happy Sunday everyone! Today is the day to count up the number of goals you have achieved this week (I'm 0 for 2 and if I don't go out for a walk/jog today, I'm going to give myself a Coors Light Penalty) and set your goals for next week. Try to set 3 or 4 goals that will move you closer to accomplishing something that's important to you.

Big props for Alex, Bill, and Scott for already posting their goals for this week.

I'm really focusing on setting good goals. I did a good job of this in 2012 when I set monthly and weekly goals to lose a ton of weight and finish an HIM. To help me achieve the goal of setting better goals, I've been doing some research about how to set better goals.
    Here is a great video I found about how to set smart and achievable goals. http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/video-goal-setting-for-t...

Also be sure to add some topics to our lists for topics of the week. Maybe you want to learn about staying warm on long runs, or about nutrition or hydration or stretching. Please add those to the Topic of the Week page in the google docs section.

Who is everyone rooting for today? As a Browns fan, I'm conflicted. I can't root for the Broncos because that team has caused me so much pain. Then again, there is no way I am rooting for Bill Belichik.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 2, 2010
    author : mrakes1
    comments : 0
    Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
    author : ahilden
    comments : 1
    Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
    date : April 2, 2006
    author : AMSSM
    The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
    I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
    date : April 17, 2005
    author : sekhmet
    We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
    author : Team BT
    The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
    date : February 13, 2005
    comments : 2
    So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
    New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.