BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-06-20 8:06 AM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open

Not sure if I am missed it but what length of race are you focused on? Are you strong in all 3 disciplines?

If you are weak at one you may want to shift from a balanced to a "focused" plan. You can always add distance to your s/b/r if you wish.

Add some speed workouts each week.

Swim-Depending on your swim level you may want to work on technique and/or sprints...eg. 8x50(or 10x25) hard with 10 seconds rest.

Bike-Saddle time is always good. you can again add some sprints but also do some hill training(repeats)(get yourself a cycle trainer for the winter)

Run-Short higher speed runs, hill repeats are always good. Look up a 5k training plan and integrate into tri plan like this:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50934/Intermediate-5K-Training

Hope some of this helps.

Cheers!

Originally posted by brreems All this talk about HR monitors brings up a question that I have had, right now I am following a BT "custom" program. I am doing the balanced 3/week or each sport (having difficulty getting them all in). What days should I be pushing and which days do I take it easy? My "long runs" on the program are actually shorter than my average runs prior to starting the program. I have trained for half marathons before so I am kinds of familiar. But, those were trying to build mostly endurance with some speed. Now, I want to maintain my endurance but gain speed. When I bike, I just bike. I try to go as fast as I can and push as hard as I can. My biggest flaw is going to be getting enough miles in on the bike. I have never "trained" for a bike race so I don't know exactly what to do. From what I have read, it seems like to build speed you just need to get on the saddle and ride. I don't know, is this thinking wrong? Swim, well swim is swim. I have been reading up on some things on that. But, I guess, when do I push? When do I take it easy? Is there a different training program out there that would be better for me? My next tri isn't for 7 weeks. Hope this makes sense. Trying to make as short as possible without making it confusing. BTW, as I write this I am enjoying a Shock Top.

2014-06-20 9:27 AM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by brreems

All this talk about HR monitors brings up a question that I have had, right now I am following a BT "custom" program. I am doing the balanced 3/week or each sport (having difficulty getting them all in).

What days should I be pushing and which days do I take it easy? My "long runs" on the program are actually shorter than my average runs prior to starting the program. I have trained for half marathons before so I am kinds of familiar. But, those were trying to build mostly endurance with some speed. Now, I want to maintain my endurance but gain speed.

When I bike, I just bike. I try to go as fast as I can and push as hard as I can. My biggest flaw is going to be getting enough miles in on the bike. I have never "trained" for a bike race so I don't know exactly what to do. From what I have read, it seems like to build speed you just need to get on the saddle and ride. I don't know, is this thinking wrong?

Swim, well swim is swim. I have been reading up on some things on that.

But, I guess, when do I push? When do I take it easy? Is there a different training program out there that would be better for me? My next tri isn't for 7 weeks.

Hope this makes sense. Trying to make as short as possible without making it confusing.

BTW, as I write this I am enjoying a Shock Top.

Not sure how to mix it up but I heard a rule.
Swim - mostly hard/few easy
Bike - sometimes hard/sometimes easy
Run - mostly easy/few hard.

Not much to go by but hope that helps. I mix it up and always use my long run at an easy pace.
2014-06-20 9:29 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by Burd

21/28 for the month. Looks good so far. First race of the season coming up on 7/6. It's my anniversary race so I'm pretty excited.

Good luck with the race Alex! How's the knee?

The knee isn't 100% but much better. I see my PT again today. Going to try and get some ultrasound and e-stim to loosen it up. It's still clicking and pulling but no pain. When she did the ultrasound and e-stim it didn't click for a day. Maybe if I ask nicely she will toss in some massage on it.
2014-06-20 1:32 PM
in reply to: thor67

Bismarck, ND
Thanks for the info.

This year I am going to do 2 sprints. I live in ND and there aren't anymore tris so I am going to MN for a week vacation. Going to do a sprint at the beginning and end of the week. (At least thats the plan)

I am a MOP. My PR was a 1:25. I don't remember the exact times but I was a 2:20/100m, bike 19mph (fairly flat) and 8:34 run (very flat). So……would you say I am fairly equal or do I need to focus on a discipline? I am always one of the last ones out of the water. So, I know I need to work on my swim.

I only have access to open water right now. I have thought about making a 50 m "side" but it would be really hard to rest in-between the "laps".

When I trained before I did 2 days/week of bike and swim and 3 days/week for run. I just like running more and it is more convenient and faster to get done.

2014-06-20 1:35 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

I'm heading to Ottawa next week to stay with friends and get some serious training (and research for my thesis) done. Since I've had basically two weeks off of training, I'm going challenge myself big time next week. I'm going to ride this route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4247582 everyday for 5 days straight. It features 1000m of climbing over 120km. The second leg through Gatineau Park is some of my favourite riding, lots of big hills, perfect pavement and nature. By the end of the week I should be exhausted but ready to take on the Vuelta Espana... .errrr.. Ironman Tremblant. 

2014-06-20 4:17 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by adempsey10

I'm heading to Ottawa next week to stay with friends and get some serious training (and research for my thesis) done. Since I've had basically two weeks off of training, I'm going challenge myself big time next week. I'm going to ride this route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4247582 everyday for 5 days straight. It features 1000m of climbing over 120km. The second leg through Gatineau Park is some of my favourite riding, lots of big hills, perfect pavement and nature. By the end of the week I should be exhausted but ready to take on the Vuelta Espana... .errrr.. Ironman Tremblant. 

Sounds like a great week! don't forget to hit a few breweries! also isn't there a montreal smoked meat place that is pretty good there Nate's or something??

enjoy!

2014-06-20 4:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by sandishr This week's training has been dismal for me...I was REALLY tired earlier in the week and we are getting ready to leave on vacation for three weeks. So I am only at 16/28, and I'll need a day of adjustment when we get there as it's 6K feet elevation. But, while on vacation my plan is to train, train, train....I'll call this a rest week. I come back and have 10 days until my first tri. Thanks for the motivation of this group, I am hoping it gets me to the pool today. :-) Buying a wetsuit this afternoon, which had better spur me on for the OWS training for the cost.... :-)

So what wetsuit did you decide on?

Three weeks vacation...sweet. Where are you vacationing?

We are in Sun Valley, Idaho. Great place to train. :-)

Oh, and I got an Orca....Orca Equip, I believe. The tri store guy seemed to think it fit the best....least amount of slack around my waist.

Edited by sandishr 2014-06-20 4:35 PM
2014-06-20 10:27 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Sounds good to me Alan, will be waiting for you here in Spain!!

Originally posted by adempsey10

2014-06-21 1:13 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

I am a little demotivated.

I did end up getting a heart rate monitor. Easy enough to connect up and everything. But on my ... well lets call a spade a spade, my walk today I discovered that if I want to keep it in what my app calls the endurance zone, 60-70% I have to keep it at a fast walk. A light jog will kick me up into much higher. I am not sure how take this or what to do.

Now, all the reading I've done have said that this is something I should have expected. I just didn't expect to feel demotivated by it and at the same time freaking out about the 10k I got in september. I guess what I have to do is trust the experts that say I will improve.

On the plus side, I am enjoying a nice IPA. Nogene O if any of you are familiar with Norwegian not-so-micro-anymore breweries. If not, I recommend trying them out. My sister and I are now planning a trip to a different one that we both like the beer from, Aegir. They have beers that they only sell at their pub that would be fun to try.
2014-06-21 4:04 PM
in reply to: Craftyviking

User image

If you look earlier in this thread, I posted about HR's and mine being consistently high too. It has definitely improved but my own experience is that I did NOT let that stop me from running. ,I figure it was par for the course for a new runner. I had a HR I could tell was too high...I just did not run fast enough to feel bad. It's SIGNIFICANTLY better now, a year later. And actually, as an update to my own situation....obviously training every day and with other disciplines has made a huge difference, as I am now very, very close to being at my target HR while at the peak of my run, and am in my zone for much longer than I was. This was a big surprise, a pleasant one, and it's pretty quick given that I've only been training like this (adding in the bike/swim) for a few months. :-) I think because I am always within my HR zone while biking and swimming, it's improving my fitness far more quickly than running alone several days a week did.
2014-06-21 5:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Desperate times call for drastic measures.

I have 2 hefe-weizen bottles left and then I'm done with adult beverages until after my HIM in Nov. I have put on a few pounds since I started drinking beer again and I would rather lose the 8-10 extra pounds I'm carrying around. The empty (although tasty) calories of beer just aren't doing it for me anymore. I just can't enjoy my beer when all I am thinking about is calories.

Scratch that...1 bottle left. The other is being consumed as I type this.

2014-06-21 11:21 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Sigh. A brewfest in my favorite vacation town in the world. Unlimited beer for $15. Uh, yeah, we're in.

2014-06-22 5:14 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Oh man. That sounds pretty awesome. Sounds like a good way to try different beers too.
2014-06-22 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Haven't posted much since Quassy, since life has been a total wreck. Lost a job, got a new one (with twice the commute), all within 8 days. That panic is probably one of the worst things that has happened to me in terms of training. Just can't find the groove right now.

I'll make it through, and I just need to keep telling myself that. I know it's the truth, it's just getting to that point is rough. It's like the 7 mile climb at Quassy - knowing I have enough to handle it doesn't make it any shorter or easier.

Life, as always, goes on.
2014-06-22 10:54 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

OK, officially back in training mode. A 5K yesterday in 77 degree temps (that is VERY hot for me to tolerate) in 29 minutes, our second day at 6K elevation. Then today I discovered we have an AMAZING outdoor pool, saline not chlorine...so did a quick half mile there and then took a 14 mile bike ride. I suspect getting me out of that pool over the next few weeks will be hard. :-)
2014-06-22 10:56 PM

Bismarck, ND
Wow! So sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have a great attitude. Keep your head up. Take some time for yourself.

2014-06-23 8:00 AM

User image

Originally posted by Craftyviking

I am a little demotivated.

I did end up getting a heart rate monitor. Easy enough to connect up and everything. But on my ... well lets call a spade a spade, my walk today I discovered that if I want to keep it in what my app calls the endurance zone, 60-70% I have to keep it at a fast walk. A light jog will kick me up into much higher. I am not sure how take this or what to do.

Now, all the reading I've done have said that this is something I should have expected. I just didn't expect to feel demotivated by it and at the same time freaking out about the 10k I got in september. I guess what I have to do is trust the experts that say I will improve.

On the plus side, I am enjoying a nice IPA. Nogene O if any of you are familiar with Norwegian not-so-micro-anymore breweries. If not, I recommend trying them out. My sister and I are now planning a trip to a different one that we both like the beer from, Aegir. They have beers that they only sell at their pub that would be fun to try.

Don't let it get you down, It will improve. you could try some sprint (zone-4) recover (z-1) to see if that helps. I have found that it has helped me run faster while maintaining the correct hrz.
2014-06-23 9:30 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

I'm not dead, I swear. Just been on vacation in Ohio and missed....oh...a week's worth of workouts. And I have dental surgery this weekend, so that's another bust. NYC Marathon training starts the following week, so I think my triathlon season is over already!

On another note, I had a dream that I was killing a triathlon. I had an awesome swim, and was psyched to go out on the bike but was stopped by an official who said my bike was illegal, but wouldn't tell me why. I argued and argued forever, but she never let me ride. And it was my actual bike in the dream!
2014-06-23 12:41 PM

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Haven't posted much since Quassy, since life has been a total wreck. Lost a job, got a new one (with twice the commute), all within 8 days. That panic is probably one of the worst things that has happened to me in terms of training. Just can't find the groove right now.

I'll make it through, and I just need to keep telling myself that. I know it's the truth, it's just getting to that point is rough. It's like the 7 mile climb at Quassy - knowing I have enough to handle it doesn't make it any shorter or easier.

Life, as always, goes on.

Sorry to hear that, but glad you found a new job so quickly. I have faith you'll get back into the groove.

Scott
2014-06-23 2:14 PM

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon Haven't posted much since Quassy, since life has been a total wreck. Lost a job, got a new one (with twice the commute), all within 8 days. That panic is probably one of the worst things that has happened to me in terms of training. Just can't find the groove right now. I'll make it through, and I just need to keep telling myself that. I know it's the truth, it's just getting to that point is rough. It's like the 7 mile climb at Quassy - knowing I have enough to handle it doesn't make it any shorter or easier. Life, as always, goes on.

Hang in there, fella. Things will come around and you'll be back into the groove soon enough. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-06-23 2:14 PM
2014-06-23 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon Haven't posted much since Quassy, since life has been a total wreck. Lost a job, got a new one (with twice the commute), all within 8 days. That panic is probably one of the worst things that has happened to me in terms of training. Just can't find the groove right now. I'll make it through, and I just need to keep telling myself that. I know it's the truth, it's just getting to that point is rough. It's like the 7 mile climb at Quassy - knowing I have enough to handle it doesn't make it any shorter or easier. Life, as always, goes on.
You have little control over your work and commute. You have complete control over your training. Training=stress relief. Hang in there!!

2014-06-23 2:32 PM

User image

David, I had a revelation about weight loss and training and I thought it might be relevant to the dilemma you were having about trying to lose weight for Tremblant. 

Two years ago I worked a landscaping job to save money for a trip to Europe and I was riding my bike everyday 40km round trip and then working outside for 8 hours all day. As a result of all that I lost a ton of weight and was incredibly lean. I weighed around 162-165lb. So when I started training for Ironman back in January, I set my target weight at 165 since I knew that it was an achievable weight and since I was really lean at that weight, I figured it would be a good 'race weight'. 

For the first two months of IM training I ran a pretty high caloric deficit to try and lose as much upfront. I managed to go from 182 to 169-170. Since I started my regimented IM training, I've sat at that weight and haven't lost or gained anything. What I have noticed though, is that I am still getting leaner. I slimmed down in the mirror but haven't actually 'lost' any weight on the scale. 

To put it in perspective, that same summer that I worked landscaping, I went to Europe and while there I saw this shirt that I thought was grand so I bought it but it was a little on the tight side even then when I was really lean. Anyways, that shirt hasn't fit me since so I haven't worn it. The other day I tried it on for and sh!ts giggles and it actually fit better and looser than it did when I bought it. So in conclusion, even though I'm 5lbs heavier on the scale than I was 2 years ago, I'm actually much leaner in size. I'm assuming that it must be a build up of muscle from all the training and workouts for Ironman. My muscles are becoming denser. So that being said, you might find that you might not be able to get down to your target race weight since, like me (training for an Ironman) you're probably packing on the muscle (or rather, your muscle density is increasing and therefore getting heavier). 

I thought I might share this anecdote with you. Hope it helps. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-06-23 2:34 PM
2014-06-23 4:24 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Checking in after a long and busy but very fun weekend that lacked workouts (tabletop gaming convention). Back in the swing of things with my usual 1000m swim today. My next triathlon is coming up this weekend, a small low key local race. It will be my first road race on a TT bike instead of my hybrid commuter so I'm hoping for a nice fast bike split

For beer I had a nicely balanced IPA called "Just Outstanding IPA" from Kern River Brewing.

2014-06-23 10:29 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

, Vermont
Checking in as well - off the grid camping since last Thursday. Great for recharging the batteries - not quite so conducive to training so I'm falling a bit behind. Looks like I'll have to pull a few doubles if I can this week to make my goal. Tried swimming last week two days before camping in a public pool during adult swim time - there were so few people they didn't bother with adult swim and they didn't set up a lap lane like they usually do. I attempted laps but the couple of people in the pool happened to walk into my lane as I approached the wall. Too late to switch lanes, had to stop multiple times. I gave up after 300 yds and swam at my club pool the next day instead.

17/28 with a double today - short bike of 15.12 miles in 45 minutes and a 3 mile run. Hot out there today in the low 80's during the run portion.

Though we camped, I snuck a Switchback - photo below in the Guide Boat. I'd include a picture of a nice Brookie I caught but I don't know if there are any fishermen/women on this thread so I'll hold off.

Cheers,
Jenn

(beer in boat close up.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
beer in boat close up.jpg (1019KB - 3 downloads)
2014-06-23 11:09 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

, Vermont
Sandi,
That sounds like heaven! Nice job on the 5k too!

I have a women's specific question and you can feel free to PM me if you want. (I'm sure the guys are curious so if any of you have recommendations from wives, I'm listening too) I'm gearing up for my first ever sprint tri and I'm down to the tri jog bra. The jersey I have does not have support and I'm looking for suggestions. I've seen the TYR and that's all I've really found so far (don't know the exact model). Do you have any suggestions/recommendations based off experience? I will be wearing it under my wetsuit as well. Our local shop didn't have a great selection which means I'll be ordering online probably - yikes.
Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jenn
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51176 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19860 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.