BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-02-11 3:10 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Subject: RE: Check-In
(Let's talk about a single arm for a moment. Say your right arm. At entry, your shoulders will be pretty close to level. As your right hand (fingers), then wrist, then elbow enters the water, your right shoulder will follow as your body rotation completes the entry and allows you to reach full extension. Think of reaching for the bottom part of the far wall. Full extension means reaching as far forward as you can in a natural way with a very slight bend still in your elbow. I am going to go back for a second. I said your hand (fingers), then wrist, then elbow enters. Your entry angle should be at least steep enough so that you can distinctly tell when your fingers, wrist and elbow enter - or at least you should distinctly see it on video. If they are all splashing into the water at the same time, your entry is too shallow. A good little catch phrase is: "Fingers below wrist below elbow - ALWAYS!" There is no part of your stroke where that phrase will not be true. Entry, catch, pull, recovery, the phrase is true at every centimeter of the freestyle stroke.)

Thanks so much Scott for posting this, as I spent the morning catching up on posts and really took to heart the above paragraph. Today, after my run, I went to the pool for a swim and became one with the water, at least, that's how I felt! My fastest times ever. Focused on using my core, rotating, and keeping my stroke arm in proper form. So happy, and hope it keeps getting better. My avg time for the swim per 100 was 10-15 seconds faster, which is amazing to me. I swam 50's at 1:05 and 1:08, something i've never seen or done before.

as far as highlighting and changing colors and font, i can't seem to get it to work, kristen

2015-02-12 4:18 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 2/8/2015 Check-In

Here are the update Weightloss/Workout Challenge Points

(0208_weightloss_workout.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0208_weightloss_workout.jpg (67KB - 5 downloads)
2015-02-12 4:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ok2try Here's a question about running my first half-marathon which is coming up soon, Feb 22. During my triathlon season last summer & cross-country running last fall, I did well by monitoring my HR during the races to set up good sustainable pacing. I didn't even look at my pace until the races were over, but most turned out pretty good, for me. I'd like to do the same in this HM, but don't really know what zone I should be shooting for. I'm guessing low zone 3, no more for the first 8-10 miles, and then bump it up (or down?) if it seems right . (My zone 3 by BT Lactate Threshhold test is 131-137 bpm...I'm pretty old) What do you think? Is that overly ambitious? Most of my training has been in zones 1-2, with some 4-mile tempo runs at 135-137. In races, HR always seems to be higher than I expect. In my last 10k,last April, it was 135-141 most of the time. Deb

Hey Deb,

I would think starting out in low zone 3 for the first 5K, then build to mid-upper zone 3 for the middle 7 miles.  The final 5K I would uncork it for a strong finish.

If you want to confirm that strategy, do an upcoming tempo run in upper zone 3 and see how you are feeling.  If your zones are correct, at upper zone 3 you are still well below threshold.  Pushing it into zone 4 during the last 5K will begin to get painful, but as long as you stay zone 4 you should be fine.  Again, you can confirm this in training by doing a tempo run at those paces.

Good luck!  I am sure that you are going to rock it!

Edited by k9car363 2015-02-12 4:59 PM
2015-02-12 4:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

I took her to the anticoagulation center yesterday to get educated on using Warfrin. Managing your life while on this drug is not easy - diet, activity, interactions with other meds all can have a big impact on the effectiveness of the drug. Scott, I admire you ability to compete in Triathlon at a high level while dealing with this complication!

Scott I.

Scott,

Yes, it can be a pain in the backside if you let it.  I don't.  Yeah, I have to be careful not to get cut, etc.  But I don't let the medication rule my life.  If I want to have a salad, I have a salad.  If I want to have a Spinach omelet, I have a spinach omelet.  If she regularly eats that kind of stuff, they can adjust her dosing so her INR is in the proper range.  If she occasionally eats that stuff, like I do, then don't worry about it.  One meal on one day is not going to throw her INR completely out of range and it will settle back into range with the next dosing.  The one thing I make sure I do is not have things like spinach omelets the day before an INR lab test.  In no time at all you guys will be old pros at this!

Is she still on Lovekin at this point or have the weaned her off?

Edited by k9car363 2015-02-12 5:01 PM
2015-02-12 4:46 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Mountaindan Sorry for the late response for the weight check in, work is crazy, weather is crazy make work harder and longer and now i've had a flare up of Gout, every few years i will have a flare up and it really sucks! putting a serious damper on my training and getting me a little worried about my Marathon! seems like the last 3 weeks have been tough to keep up with my plan. I did 70 mins on the elliptical on Sunday knowing I can not run right now, but still paid the price for that, took a day off work to try and rest it and stay off my feet for a day, we'll see how it goes. weight is staying steady 234 +5 points, no loss - 0 and 271 mins training +9 points, 14 points total, losing ground in this race. Dan

No worries Dan!  As much bad weather as you are having, posting on time is that last thing you need to be worried about.  It occurs to me in any case that 70 minutes on the elliptical was more than enough penance! 

2015-02-12 4:51 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Check-In

Originally posted by Kris67

Thanks so much Scott for posting this, as I spent the morning catching up on posts and really took to heart the above paragraph. Today, after my run, I went to the pool for a swim and became one with the water, at least, that's how I felt! My fastest times ever. Focused on using my core, rotating, and keeping my stroke arm in proper form. So happy, and hope it keeps getting better. My avg time for the swim per 100 was 10-15 seconds faster, which is amazing to me. I swam 50's at 1:05 and 1:08, something i've never seen or done before. as far as highlighting and changing colors and font, i can't seem to get it to work, kristen

Kris,

You just brought a smile to this old man's face!  As many times as I have seen it, it still amazes me how one small change in technique can have such a large impact on speed.

Keep it up!  In no time at all people will be coming up to you and asking how you go so fast!

2015-02-12 10:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Scott and Scott - I am really amazed at your experiences with DVT.  I never would have imagined it could start from a scraped shin.  I'm going to have to do some research and read more on my own.  From the sounds of both your experiences it could be important for everyone to be aware of what could happen.

At my cycling session this afternoon we had a pretty intense simulated ride up Green Mtn Rd (basically up to our local Ski resort).  Lots of low gear/cadence, out of the saddle, hard pushing.  I don't usually sweat too hard but I sure did tonight and my legs feel pretty fried.  I was supposed to swim and run tomorrow but I think I'll postpone the running to Saturday.

2015-02-13 1:20 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Subject: grays
I have a nutrition and rest question for everyone. I notice I get very tired after 2 days in a row of workouts, making the 3rd day or 4th very tired, and not good workouts. I am lucky enough to be able to make my own schedule, so I try to not have a bunch of days off in a row, or else I work out and run myself down. This week is a classic example-my first 2 days were awesome workouts, and today my plan was for an easy 10 mile run, and I hoped for a swim after. Well, even with eating a gu at mile 3, I had no energy. Yes, I ate breakfast, and had a great night's sleep 10-11 hrs, but I think I was missing out on calories yesterday, after my long bike ride. During my 30 mile ride, I ate dried pineapple, and drank nuun. I felt fine, came home and ate eggs and bacon and a protein shake. But I developed a headache an hour or two later, and felt kind of crummy, so I had some ice cream, carmel and pecans, thinking I was low in calories. While waiting for dinner to cook, I ate 2 small sweet potatoes and that fixed my headache. Chicken wings, orzo, and zucchini for dinner, then a kind bar for snack during primetime tv. I did eat breakfast that morning too. So I didn't expect low energy today.

What do you guys eat for energy on the bike and run? And recovery-what do you do? Am I expecting too much. It's so hard for me to workout after my 3 work days (13hrs of nursing), even on very slow days. On my days off, I sleep in, I always go to to bed early (usually by 930). I tend to work out 4 days a week
2015-02-13 8:52 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: grays

Originally posted by Kris67 I have a nutrition and rest question for everyone. I notice I get very tired after 2 days in a row of workouts, making the 3rd day or 4th very tired, and not good workouts. I am lucky enough to be able to make my own schedule, so I try to not have a bunch of days off in a row, or else I work out and run myself down. This week is a classic example-my first 2 days were awesome workouts, and today my plan was for an easy 10 mile run, and I hoped for a swim after. Well, even with eating a gu at mile 3, I had no energy. Yes, I ate breakfast, and had a great night's sleep 10-11 hrs, but I think I was missing out on calories yesterday, after my long bike ride. During my 30 mile ride, I ate dried pineapple, and drank nuun. I felt fine, came home and ate eggs and bacon and a protein shake. But I developed a headache an hour or two later, and felt kind of crummy, so I had some ice cream, carmel and pecans, thinking I was low in calories. While waiting for dinner to cook, I ate 2 small sweet potatoes and that fixed my headache. Chicken wings, orzo, and zucchini for dinner, then a kind bar for snack during primetime tv. I did eat breakfast that morning too. So I didn't expect low energy today.

What do you guys eat for energy on the bike and run? And recovery-what do you do? Am I expecting too much. It's so hard for me to workout after my 3 work days (13hrs of nursing), even on very slow days. On my days off, I sleep in, I always go to to bed early (usually by 930). I tend to work out 4 days a week

Hey Kris,

If you are continually tired and you are getting enough sleep, which it sounds like you are, then I would look to my nutrition.  I would suggest you keep a food log if you aren't already.  I use MyFitnessPal and I log everything that goes in my mouth, from the first cup of coffee in the morning to the last late night snack at night as well as every morsel in between.  Then I would figure out my BMR, add my normal daily activity then add for your workouts.  I suspect you will find you are at a calorie deficit each day.

I seem to recall back when the group first got started that you mentioned something about a low carbohydrate diet. If you are still experimenting with low carb, that all by itself could explain your being tired. 

You made the comment above that you came home and had eggs and bacon plus a protein shake.  Depending upon how the protein shake was made there may have been very few carbs there.  There were zero carbs in the eggs and bacon.  So that would have done nothing for your energy state.  You also said you had a headache and ate two small sweet potatoes which helped the headache.  Sweet potatoes are loaded with carbs.  Carbs are not a bad thing.  For an athlete, they are the fuel that propels us.  That is what replaces the glycogen stores in your body.  A really quick easy way to see if lack of carbs is your problem is to take in 300-400 grams of carbohydrate 30 minutes before a run.  I am willing to bet you feel wonderful.

Consider this, you go a couple days without a workout because you are at work, etc.  Your body is able to replace glycogen stores and essentially "top off the tank."  Then you workout and draw your glycogen stores down.  If your nutrition is insufficient, your body will struggle to replace the glycogen.  Then the next day, you workout again and further draw down the glycogen stores.  With insufficient nutrition you would have a difficult time ever getting caught up.  Even when you take a Gu, you are at such a calorie deficit that you are still having difficulty and close to hitting the wall.

Just my humble opinion.

I use Infinit Performance on the bike and run.  It is a custom made to YOU.  Here is their homepage - http://www.infinitnutrition.us/.  It is a bit more expensive then Gatorade or the like, but I much prefer it.  I really encourage anyone looking for a nutrition advantage to take a look.

2015-02-13 9:05 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: grays

Kris,

Here is an excellent article from a registered dietician that may be helpful.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/10/nutrition/9-nutrition-rules-for-beginner-triathletes_89453

2015-02-14 9:16 AM
in reply to: #5075155

User image

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED
So excited, we had a 54* beautiful sunny day yesterday and my friend and I rode outside! !! First maiden voyage of the year outside with no wind.
We rode from my house so lots of hills. I realized several things, bike legs don't return overnight and the trainer and spin bikes are great but they are nothing like doing the real thing. this won't last we will be blasted with snow again but it was amazing!

Did a slight trot, minute on/ minute off which is ok... swimming is coming along. Signed up for the first sprint of year yesterday and thinking of others to join.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! Happy training!

2015-02-14 11:23 AM
in reply to: #5093310

User image

Thank you Scott, you are probably right. I haven't been doing the low carb diet, but I haven't been eating enough, it seems. My husband is still trying to do low carb, so I feel like I'm sneaking carbs, even though I've told him I need them. I stopped using MFP app for now, but go back to it off and on. I will try to be more conscious adding more carbs and see what happens.

Another question- increasing bike miles, how much and how fast? I ask because there is an honor ride event that has 20-40-60 mile options, with different routes in late March. I feel I could do the 40, but would rather do the route that the 60 takes, by the beaches. Is that too much, too soon? I am going to do a group ride up the trail in 2 weeks, 25 miles- eat lunch, then return. It's a no drop ride and free, and a good way to meet other triathletes so I plan to see how that goes.
2015-02-14 4:50 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far.  I got out this morning to get my run in before the temps dropped and wind came through.  Lots of people at the park doing the same thing.  It was mid-30's then, lower 20's now and still falling with strong winds. It was a good run (even had a few snow flurries) although I did cut it a little short.  My breathing was good and my legs felt good but my feet were really starting to bother me.  Time to get new shoes!  I honestly can't remember when I bought this pair but I bet it's been at least a year.  Luckily Big River is giving 20% off to all tri club members next weekend so I'll pick up a new pair then.  Tomorrow I'll hit the pool in the morning and then it's a 30' TT on the trainer in the afternoon. 

Janet

2015-02-14 8:44 PM

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--OPEN!
Hi Scott,
I know this has taken me quite some time, but I finally got some video of me swimming. I would sure be grateful if you want to take a look. If you can send me a link, I will forward the videos. Thanks!
Barry
2015-02-15 10:11 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Burchib Hi Scott,

I know this has taken me quite some time, but I finally got some video of me swimming. I would sure be grateful if you want to take a look. If you can send me a link, I will forward the videos. Thanks!

Barry

Hey Barry,

I sent you a PM with an upload link and the password.

2015-02-15 11:07 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Kris67 

Another question- increasing bike miles, how much and how fast? I ask because there is an honor ride event that has 20-40-60 mile options, with different routes in late March. I feel I could do the 40, but would rather do the route that the 60 takes, by the beaches. Is that too much, too soon? I am going to do a group ride up the trail in 2 weeks, 25 miles- eat lunch, then return. It's a no drop ride and free, and a good way to meet other triathletes so I plan to see how that goes.

Hi Chris,

I have posted this a couple times in the past but it applies here.

I use a formula that keeps my volume build in line. I give 1 point for each 100 yards swimming, 1 point for each mile on the bike, and 1 point for each 1/4 mile running. 100 yards swimming = 1 mile cycling = 1/4 mile running. I then total up all the points for the current week. Next week, my training can't go beyond 110-115% of the current week points. By following that general guideline, you won't exceed a fairly conservative build and won't have to worry about over-doing it.

If I am going to make a significant change in my training plan, I try to do it in the week following a recovery week. For example, I just started with TR which is likely going to result in a considerable difference in my cycling volume. By doing it coming off of a recovery week, it will be easier on my body to absorb the difference.

Now, all of that said, cycling is a bit different than both swimming and running.  Like swimming, cycling is non-impact, so you can safely ramp the mileage up much more quickly with far less concern for injury.  You have mentioned you have been having a bit of a "lack of energy" concern after multiple workouts.  If it were me, I would try to stay within the general framework of the formula I mentioned earlier.  I would ramp up my cycling mileage but back off a bit on the swimming and/or running to keep my overall points generally inline with a 15% per week build.

I looked at your training log and you have only been riding a couple times a week and your longest ride is right at 30 miles.  I would quickly get my weekly mileage above the total ride distance you are looking at - 60 miles.  I would also work to get my longest ride up towards that distance.  You have several weeks yet so you have time to do a gradual build towards that.  If you add one ride per week that is similar to your short ride now, and then add 5 miles per week each week to your long ride (starting at that 30 mile distance) you will get pretty close to the numbers I just mentioned and would easily be able to do a 60 mile ride at the end of March.  Indeed, if you take last week and repeat it with the addition of a second short ride and you will be over 60 miles per week.  You also mention you are doing a 25 out, have lunch, 25 back ride in a couple weeks.  That is nearly the ride you are talking about in March so that will be a good indicator of where your at.  I think you will be fine.  Just get some more bike miles in your legs over the next few weeks and try to keep it somewhat within a realistic build rate so you don't risk overtraining.

Just my two cents.

2015-02-15 11:57 AM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 2/15/2015 Check-In
Originally posted by k9car363

Hey Everyone -

Here is the more detailed breakdown I promised for the Weight Loss/Workout Challenge.

How you earn points -

• +5 points for no weight gain
  • +/- 1 point per pound lost/gained, or fraction thereof
  • +1 point for every 30 workout minutes

No weight change (150) and I exercised 6hrs 19min (65 min swimming, 204 min biking, 100 min running, and 10 min strength training). So, my points for the week:

• +5 points for no weight gain
  • 0 points for 0 pounds lost
  • +12.6 point for 379 workout minutes
  • Total: 17.6 points

Tough week. My wife is doing significantly better - actually went back to work Friday. As soon as we got her home I got sick (cold? flu?) for a couple days and wasn't able to work or work-out. Hopefully things will be back to normal this week.

My one swim workout occurred as my fever was just starting. I didn't realize I was sick, just thought I was tired from all the hours with Kelli in the hospital. The pool felt like ice water as I climbed in, but I warmed up OK. It wasn't a great workout but I powered through. The weird part was when I climbed out. My skin was hypersensitive and felt like it was on fire! Very unpleasant - I wouldn't recommend it.

Scott I.

2015-02-15 1:28 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge - 2/15/2015 Check-In
Hi All,

This week's Weight Loss Points = 17. (12 points from 6 hours training & 5 points no weight gain).

Yesterday I went and watched a race and supported the group I used to train with. The race was held in perfect conditions and I really wish I was out there. There were approximately 2,100 competitors as the race was an Age Group qualifier for the Australian Team as well as race 3 in the regular series.

I paid particular attention to transition techniques, the bike mount / dismount and observed that those with good skills in these areas really made up some time. Equally some lost time by being in the wrong gear, not having pedals in position, struggling to clip in or having to come to a complete stop to mount their bikes.

It was absolutely inspiring watching the disabled triathletes race. One guy had one artificial leg for riding and a different one for running which made for a fairly unique T2.

I'm very pleased to report that I resume race training this week and I'll be taking things very slowly to ensure that my knee stays solid.

I hope you all have a good week.
2015-02-15 2:23 PM

Hi Scott, thanks for the link. Hopefully I did it right. I sent 3 short videos. Swim video 7 is with a pull buoy for comparison. I didnt realize how awful my kick is, to say nothing of everything else. Thanks for looking at these!
Barry
2015-02-15 5:13 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Burchib Hi Scott, thanks for the link. Hopefully I did it right. I sent 3 short videos. Swim video 7 is with a pull buoy for comparison. I didnt realize how awful my kick is, to say nothing of everything else. Thanks for looking at these! Barry

Barry,

I received all three videos.  Let me take a look and I will get back to you tomorrow with some observations.

2015-02-15 6:44 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Hi everyone,

I ground it out indoors this past week as the snow and cold continued here. Yesterday, I skipped my workout and insteadI spent several hours splitting wood. Today was better, with both a swim clinic and a 60 minute session on the indoor trainer.

Numbers for the week:
452 minutes = 15 points
no gain/loss = 5 points
Total 20 points

Next Sunday is our second local indoor tri event at the YMCA. Looking forward to it - including the post race breakfast.
Hope everyone has a good week.

Dave

2015-02-15 8:30 PM

week Feb 15

5 pts No weight change.... well within a half pound
19 points exercise.....9.5 hours....Yea big week..... I should still be in preparation phase of training....so it maybe over doing it a bit

24 points....... still no weight loss.... but my pants fit better...so that is good!!

Matrixband

AKA Tom
2015-02-15 8:56 PM
in reply to: matrixband12

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Weight Loss Challenge:

7.94 hours of workouts = 15.88 points

No weight gain              =   5 points

Weight loss                   =   0 points

Total                              = 20.88 points

Our weather today was so phenomenal I had to go out for a 1:41 run.  I ran to Okanagan Lake at the north end of town and the lake was glass smooth.  Hard to believe we won't be able to swim in the lake until mid-June.  Our temp was over 10C/50F in bright sunshine and no wind.  While I ran there were lots of other runners and cyclists out enjoying the day.

2015-02-16 7:53 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hello everyone-been under the weather since Friday with a chest cold and cough. Hoping to get in a couple of short workouts today now that I am feeling better. Anxious to get in the pool and try out Scott's suggestions to help my swim stroke.

Mardi Gras is in full swing down my way. I live in the Mobile, Alabama area and that is actually where Mardi Gras started. The city is pretty much shut down tomorrow for Fat Tuesday. My office is about a block from the parade route so we will be closed and staying away from the festivities. Not quite on the scale of New Orleans but it is not unusual to have 100,000+ folks at the parades. Enough reason for me to stay at home across the Bay.

Have a good week everyone. 

2015-02-16 8:49 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Weight Loss Challenge - 2/15/2015 Check-In
Results from this week's challenge.

No change in weight - bah! 5 points
330 minutes workout - 11 points
Total = 16 points

Not exactly stellar. Reminds me of the importance of getting the week off to a good start.

2 weeks out from Half Marathon in Florida while visiting my Mom. Haven't been feeling it on my long runs and lots of little issues with left knee, right thigh, and feet, so I may use the half as a long run for next month's 10 miler race rather than pushing it. Or maybe I'm just getting old and this is the new normal :-) But the running is prep for triathlons later in the season, so don't want any set backs.

Have a great week everyone!

Stu
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open