BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-07-10 2:49 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
I wanna know more about the 25K at midnight, sounds awesome!! What is the name? is there a website??

Barb, those were some cool shirts you guys made!! We should begin brainstorming for some cool shirts for our ironman 2008 or is it 2009?? hehehe.

Rich, I already began logging my food intake into my log. I raced last 4th of july at Key west. It was a 5k which ran next to the beach on a path. It was a very nice race although the weather did take a toll on me. Although I was happy to have won my age group, I wasnt to happy with my time (19:32).

Hope everyone is having a good trianing week.

FR

2007-07-10 3:03 PM
in reply to: #879857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
feliperubio - 2007-07-10 2:49 PM

Although I was happy to have won my age group, I wasnt to happy with my time (19:32).

FR

Dude!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS on taking your AG! Now if I calculated correctly, you were running a 6.17 minute mile pace(?) And you're not happy with that?!?!?!? Holy Caesar's Ghost! OK...... seriously...... do you have a goal?

Strides and sprint workouts are probably in your future. But with your pace already, you will most likely need a running coach to help you make incremental improvements.

Let me know what your goal is!

Rich

2007-07-10 3:08 PM
in reply to: #862089

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Ok, everyone. The word is in from my Team in Training program (benefiting the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society). They WILL be racing a half-ironman next year!!! It will be the Wildflower in Bradley, California. And guess what? I'M GOING TO DO IT! I'm insane, since I still need to get even a 5K RUN race under my belt, but I'm already hooked and want to just keep going.

I'm hoping that YOU will join me! I think it would be a blast. All of the racers actually stay in TENTS as opposed to hotels.

So now the seed is planted. I'll be asking you all again in October, but for now, think about it. It would be an honor to race next to such a wonderful, talented, and inspirational group of individuals.

2007-07-10 3:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Subject: HIM???
Okay. They use the words "extremely hilly" to describe the bike course and "brutal" to describe the run.

I know I'll come off like a wimp here, but can't we find an easier HIM to do???

RICH -- A little help here? Isn't there a Bunny Fu Fu HIM or something?!?
2007-07-10 3:32 PM
in reply to: #878710

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
cmbcwb3 - 2007-07-10 8:45 AM
So what's good post-workout nutrition? Post race?

Good workout nutrition and post race nutrition is basically a protein and carbs. Here are a few examples of what I have after a workout or a race:

3 egg whites scrambled and 3 to 4 cups of steamed spinach
Turkey Sandwich (wheat bread), apple
Tuna Salad or Chicken Salad on a bed of spinach/lettuce leafs

I try to get into me about 300 to 400 calories. Remember the body can only absorb the use of 300 to 400 calories. Anything else is stored as fat!

I also try to have a recovery meal within 30 minutes of completing my workout. If it was a heavy workout, I may eat 30 minutes after the workout and another small meal about 2 hours later.

Questions?

Rich
2007-07-10 3:42 PM
in reply to: #879944

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
http://www.tricalifornia.com/wildflower/2007/longcour.htm

Ok, ok, so it's challenging. But if Team in Training endorses is, it CAN be done by people like me. And we are all training our butts off anyways, so why not just keep that momentum going?

So I admit, it's VERY likely that I will walk up "Beach Hill", "Nasty Grade", and "Heart Rate Hill". And that's all before the run. But I really think we can do it, if we truly BELIEVE we can. That is really what an Ironman is all about, isn't it???

Rich, have I totally lost my mind? (Hmm, perhaps you shouldn't answer that.)

2007-07-10 3:46 PM

User image

Regular
Hey Rich, thank you!!

Well my goal for this year with regards to a 5k is to try to bring my time down to a 17:15-17:30. I have manged to break 17 earlier this year in January (17:56). I had issues with an ITB problem in my right knee after my first marathon so I have been trying to work on my core for some months and then kick in a bigger load of milage along with spped session. With a fellow runner, we are forming a group of runners to train to increase our speed, so this should help me since the guys I will be training with have much better times than me.

What do you think Rich, and thanks!!

FR
2007-07-10 4:00 PM

User image

Regular
Andrea, I think it can definately be done. If you put your ming to it and put in the hard work, you'll be fine!!

Hey, I sneaked through your log and saw that you want to run the 7 Mile bridge run in Marathon Fl!! I have run this race in 06 and 07 and is probably my favorite race!! The registration is not too easy and Caro did not manage to get in this year, HOWEVER, she did a bandit run!! It was awesome.

FR
2007-07-10 4:09 PM
in reply to: #880028

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
yeah, that's something I want to do at some point, that's for sure! I have a lot of friends down in the Keys, so it's just a matter of picking the year and asking them to get a registration form for me as soon as the race is over. (I hear if you mail it in the same day, it's a good chance you'll get in.) Haven't tried it myself, though, so who knows!

Great job on your run, by the way. I know I'll never run that fast (nor do I think I ever want to!). I'm tired just thinking about how fast YOU run! hah
2007-07-10 7:23 PM
in reply to: #879985

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
feliperubio - 2007-07-10 3:46 PM

Hey Rich, thank you!!

Well my goal for this year with regards to a 5k is to try to bring my time down to a 17:15-17:30. I have manged to break 17 earlier this year in January (17:56). I had issues with an ITB problem in my right knee after my first marathon so I have been trying to work on my core for some months and then kick in a bigger load of milage along with spped session. With a fellow runner, we are forming a group of runners to train to increase our speed, so this should help me since the guys I will be training with have much better times than me.

What do you think Rich, and thanks!!

FR

Hey Felipe!

Great Goal and doable...... I like your approach of running with faster runners. They will push you. The Tri Club uses this approach when cycling. It seems to work.

If you don't see any breakthroughs or improvements, you might consider having your running analyzed. Running specialty shops might no someone who can perform this service for you. It involves you running while being videotaped. Then some brief instruction (theory and analysis) in some instances and then implementation of things you learned. It can be very valuable in understanding what you are doing correctly and where you can improve or work on technique. Our Tri Club has three different sponsors that offer running analysis (about $150) for the service. Might be a consideration if you don't see any breakthroughs or you start injuring yourself.

What you might consider is also periodically doing an informal "time trial" to see how you are improving with this group.

Just some thoughts!

Rich

2007-07-10 7:44 PM
in reply to: #879972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
"Rich, have I totally lost my mind? (Hmm, perhaps you shouldn't answer that.)"

Simply put..... YES..... but, haven't we all!

Aaaaaahhhhhh Wildflower!!!!! I could scare the life out of you with a description of this course, but ya know what? This is a GREAT event in a beautiful setting in one of the GREATEST cycling areas of Central California! I am already planning on returning for my third year in a row! My previous two years, I did the Olympic distance.

I have swam, cycled and ran the long course.....I won't lie....it is a difficult course...... they say that if you can do this course, you can do an Ironman! With that said..... I'm using this race as one of my 2008 "B" training races in prep for Cour de Alene IM in 2009! I'll hopefully be trying out my new tri bike that I'm working on purchasing.

I usually arrive on Wednesday...... set up my tents, pop-ups, kitchen etc. and veg for a couple of days. The temp can range from 70s to 95 degrees. It can get cool in the evening, too... upper 30s to low 40s. Last year we had about 60 tri club members gather and camp together. We had a total riot and it was GREAT to cheer on all of our racers.

It is a total kick of a time.......actually they say it is a great weekend of camping, friends, food, drink and a triathlon thrown in for good measure....... it's true!

Bring it on Andi! I'm in!

Rich

2007-07-10 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Im in for wildflower and Florida 70.3. I know that with you all and my little brother, we can all make it!!! It would be AMAZING!!! SO i SAY yeah!!!! here we come!!!

gotta go, love ya all!!
2007-07-10 9:13 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hey!  Yes, y'all heard it right...I'm running a 25K that begins at 12:01 AM on July 15.  Why???  Because I can!!!  It just sounds fun.  And I want/need some bragging rights!  (I'm feeling old! ) Thanks Barb for the info on NUUN.  I tend to drink gatorade on my long runs, too, so I'll just stick to that for this race.  I was just curious what it was like. 

Felipe, here's the website for the race:  www.elscorchorun.com  I'm not sure if any other cities host a run like this.  I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out.  My plan is just to finish.  I have no specific goals.  I'm going to try and nap on Saturday afternoon and eat a good meal early Saturday evening and just hydrate like hell beginning Thursday.  I've been so thirsty lately with all the heat and humidity. (luckily we haven't hit the 100's yet...insane Christine!)

Okay Andi, about this HIM in CA.  I checked out the website.  I do want to do an OLY for next season, but I'm not sure I have the time to train WELL for a HIM!  I really need to think about it before I commit.  Plus, I'll have to have a "come to Jesus" meeting w/hubby.  I'll definitely need his help with the training, etc.  It would be awesome if we could all do it though.  HMMMM...let me ponder a while...

Take care and happy training!  (and studying Caru!)

2007-07-10 11:14 PM
in reply to: #880387

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Cheering Angela On!
Hey Angela!

Come on out for the Wildflower Olympic Distance...... I'll cheer you on!

Rich

2007-07-11 8:57 AM
in reply to: #880464

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Cheering Angela On!
Oh wow...that does sound like fun.  I'm going to have to talk to the hubby about this.  Angela, I think I'm with you on the HIM.  I don't think I can commit the kind of time it would take to feel prepared for ANY HIM, let alone a challenging course like this one.  The oly....welll...that might be doable.  Of course, all of that depends on whether or not I can convince the dh to commit the funds and time.  Maybe if we sent the kids to Grammie's house.....hmmmm.....think think ponder ponder.....
2007-07-11 9:10 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Kat, I've been waiting for the money tree to bloom in my backyard, but so far...nothing!  Funds will definitely be an issue.  Do we take the kids on a summer vacation or does mom get to go have fun at a race in CA w/o kids???  I'll have alot of convincing to do!  not to mention the logistics of getting a bike/equipment/camping gear to CA.  Hey Kat, you and I could drive to Cali.  Wouldn't that be an adventure!  I'm still thinking...

2007-07-11 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Sorry -- working full time (and then some), training 4-6 times a week, helping with my nieces every chance I get, running 2 properties, weekends at my Dad's 3 1/2 hours away once a month -- and trying to keep my marriage great -- that's enough for me.

I will not be aiming for one of the toughest HIMs in 2008.

I wish you guys the very best of luck with it!!!
2007-07-11 9:33 AM
in reply to: #880737

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

yoblondie - 2007-07-11 9:10 AM Kat, I've been waiting for the money tree to bloom in my backyard, but so far...nothing!  Funds will definitely be an issue.  Do we take the kids on a summer vacation or does mom get to go have fun at a race in CA w/o kids???  I'll have alot of convincing to do!  not to mention the logistics of getting a bike/equipment/camping gear to CA.  Hey Kat, you and I could drive to Cali.  Wouldn't that be an adventure!  I'm still thinking...

Hah!!! That would be a blast!!! Road trip for the gals - leave the hubbies and kiddos behind!!! Sounds dangerous.  I've got my dh pondering it for the moment.  We'll see what we come up with.  Plenty of time to try to work things out....

2007-07-11 11:19 AM
in reply to: #880797

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
katzchen55 - 2007-07-11 9:33 AM
Sounds dangerous.  I've got my dh pondering it for the moment.  We'll see what we come up with.  Plenty of time to try to work things out....

You are more than WELCOME to join up and camp with the Pasadena Tri Club! If you bring sleeping bags, I have an eight person tent that I can set up for ya'all plus my four person tent, the two pop-ups and I'll have the kitchen available for community use! I even have a stove top coffee maker! (The last two years, PTC has arranged for a BBQ company to come in and cater a dinner on Saturday night for like $12.00.) This last year, PTC had a disco set up under one of the big trees with lots of fun music for those that did the long course.... those who were doing Olympic course slept just fine!

Plenty of time to workout all of the details, but if you wanted to also gather in Pasadena/Glendora/LA, we could caravan up to Wildflower on the Wednesday prior to the event. This gives you time to ride a little of the course, get wet in the water, and run a little bit of the terrain.

This will be TOOOOOOO much fun!

Rich
2007-07-11 11:19 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Andi...YOU'RE AN ANIMAL!!! A STALLION!!! A BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!

I admire you for taking on the Wildflower challenge. That course is supposed to be fantastic. My friend Nikki did the oly distance this past year and had so much fun. Wish we could join you, but DH and I are already registered for the Ironman Florida 70.3 in May.

If anyone is interested in an "easier" HIM (if that even exists), Mike and I did our research and discovered that Florida 70.3 is one of the flatter/faster HIM courses. There are only a few rolling hills at the beginning of the bike...and that's it. The swim is in the lake at Disney's fronteir/wildlife resort....so no ocean swimming. And then the run is a 3 loop course within the resort. The only downside will be the potentially problematic humidity.

Our names are already pulling up on the registration confirmation site and it's so exciting and nerve-wrecking to see our names emblazoned for a HIM race.

I keep thinking "what the hell have I gotten myself into?"

Glad I'm not the only one off my rocker!!
2007-07-11 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Hmmm, now Florida... that could be more like it. I have relatives I could stay with...it's an easy flight from PA...

2007-07-12 9:14 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Ok. I'm now on the fence for this Wildflower thing. But that doesn't mean I don't want to keep racing if I don't do this in May! I'll keep going, regardless. I just have to really decide if I want to take on this extreme challenge. Even my bike coach last night said how difficult the course is, it's one of the best in North America he states.

Fortunately, I don't need to "commit" to that until October or November. So, stay tuned on that.

In the meantime, if you are all REALLY gutsy, why not travel out to THIS triathlon? I dare you. (By the way, I love the concept though there's no way you'd catch me riding a bike in the buff!)

http://www.queencitytiming.com/race_pages/bare_hare_sprint_tri.htm
2007-07-12 9:48 AM

User image

Regular
wow, wow, wow!! I'm usually up for anything, but I think this last one is pushing it a bit. I can't even begin to think how uncomfortable the bike ride would be doing that race, not to mention how disturbing the run would be. HAHAHAHAHA!

But, I think I would do it, under one condition though, that I get a 20 min head start!!

FR
2007-07-12 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
The swim would be lovely...

The bike ride...iffy...

The run...OH the HUMANITY!!!
2007-07-12 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Ooooooooohhhh I don't think so, Andi! LOL!

Yikes...... I can't imagine getting on a bike without clothing...... on long rides they have to surgically remove the bike seats already and that is with clothing......... OUCH!!!! LOL!!!! AND there must be a screening process to let the beautiful bodies into this race and the body police eliminate those that fall in the "offensive" category.....which would be me....51 and slightly overweight....not a good combination to the eyes.......

Now at Wildflower.......if you want to join in on the Saturday Night Streaking Run......which is a tradition of ??? years........ about 50 to 60 runner through the camp celebrating their completion of the Long Course......or it is a warm-up to the Olympic Course(?).

This group is just crazy!!! Love it!

Rich

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46