BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-03-30 4:05 PM
in reply to: #1302644

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL-GO CANDACE!!!

wyndswept - 2008-03-30 2:59 PM I am alive!! I had a great experience yesterday and will do that distance again. I was pretty close to my estimated times (40 min swim, 4 hr bike, 2.5 hour run). I did a lot of walking on the run but felt it was smart - didn't want to pass out. I will work on a race report tonight so you can read all the details. I have never done anything at that intensity for 7.5 hours before. I am totally beat. And I am having some walking and breathing issues. I think I might have swallowed too much salt water - oops. Then the fun part. I came home to a surprise party for my race/birthday. It was awesome to drink some beers, finally.

Candace,

Congrats on the race! A huge accomplishment to finish an HIM, and to do it this early in the season. And you did it in 7.5 hours?! Excellent time! I can't imagine how much punishment your body must have taken. Great discipline in training and abstinence (bring on the brew), and may you be beered many times over on your birthday.

May I make a suggestion? IF you have the means and the inclination: ICE BATH. I love them,  they've helped me recover from many-a-marathon. 

Soak in the accomplishment! And. . . thanks: You've inspired me to re-up my discipline for the last few weeks of training before my first race of the season. 

2008-03-30 5:22 PM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

DC
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL-GO CANDACE!!!
CONGRATULATIONS CANDACE!! I'm so excited for you, it's awesome to see all that hard work pay off. Woooooh!!!!
2008-03-30 6:28 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL-CANDACE=IRONWOMAN!!!!
CONGRATS CANDACE!!!! You are officially the toughest of this group. We can change the name of the group if you wish and you can be the official mentor. It's not a lot of work (as the mentees can attest to). Seriously, way to go. That is quite an accomplishment. Drink up. Chug-a-lug Chug-a-lug as the song goes.

Still waiting to hear on Nathan's epic 143mile run!!!!
2008-03-31 7:23 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

AWESOME, Candace!  Such a cool day.  Congrats!!!

2008-03-31 7:28 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Q:  Where does the Super Bowl MVP go for his bachelor party?

A:  The Flora-Bama

I figured with the cash he's making, he would have gone somewhere a bit more... um... roofed in.  Somewhere that isn't a tent.  Somewhere with a floor as opposed to just sand.  Whatever, though.  We convinced half the bar that we knew him, but were trying to ditch him because he was kind of a jerk.

2008-03-31 9:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Congrats Candace. I have check out your race report.
I`II have to fill you guys in tomorrow on my race, I`m off to work now, and at work they disconnected our internet access .

2008-03-31 11:03 AM

User image

DC
Good luck Nate!!

You guys are nuts with your long distance stuff

Just found out my team won the relay division of our sprint tri on Saturday. Only team to break an hour, and we beat the 2nd place team by 6 solid minutes.

I think the best thing about the race was that it got me re-addicted to tris. I think you really need a good race once in a while to inspire you to keep up your training!
2008-03-31 3:16 PM

User image

Regular
Good job, Grace. Was this swim outdoors? Don't you live in Maryland?
2008-03-31 3:25 PM
in reply to: #1305639

User image

DC
pshorty - 2008-03-31 4:16 PM

Yeah I'm in MD- pool swim, which I really didn't like actually. I thought it wouldn't be bad since I'm decent at flip turns, but I don't like the snake-like course (hadn't practiced flipping & angling into different lanes) or the staggered start (there were still people starting the swim when our team was finished the whole race). Plus many people didn't put down an accurate 100m swim time, so we had some people who could barely swim clogging up the lanes. I had to stop a couple times and wait for people to hit the wall because there were 3 or 4 people in the lane and we couldn't pass. It was still a fun race, though!
2008-04-01 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1305673

User image

Regular
gracetheterp - 2008-03-31 4:25 PM

pshorty - 2008-03-31 4:16 PM

Yeah I'm in MD- pool swim, which I really didn't like actually. I thought it wouldn't be bad since I'm decent at flip turns, but I don't like the snake-like course (hadn't practiced flipping & angling into different lanes) or the staggered start (there were still people starting the swim when our team was finished the whole race). Plus many people didn't put down an accurate 100m swim time, so we had some people who could barely swim clogging up the lanes. I had to stop a couple times and wait for people to hit the wall because there were 3 or 4 people in the lane and we couldn't pass. It was still a fun race, though!

My first triathlon was like that. A lot of swimming over people. Riddle me this: how long was your swim because you swam 300 yards back and forth but you also went from lane one to lane 6 which is about 25 yards away from where you started, right? Do add 25 yards or take the hypotenus (you spell it!!) which would be considerably less?
2008-04-01 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Ugh... the pool swims. 

That's awesome y'all won, Grace.  Nice swimming!

So that's three tris down for the group?  Agggh... I'm gettin' antsy!!

2008-04-01 6:38 PM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
Nice Job with the swim, Grace! I knew there was another race this past weekend.

I finally typed up my race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I have to warn you. It is pretty long!
2008-04-02 8:37 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Awesome report, Candace.  EXTREMELY helpful as I'm still a year out from my first 70.3, but already getting nervous.
2008-04-02 8:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Sounds like you had a fun day Candace, I enjoyed reading that race report.
Congrats Grace on your race.
My race on Sunday didn`t quit go as planned. The weather wasn`t to bad, I think it was around 36 F with a good stiff wind from the east, it was sunny though.
The first 10 km went as planned, just over 50 min and feeling good, that 10 km was into the wind. at 15 km (half way) I was just off were I wanted to be 1:17. BUT then at the 18th km I could feel something in my knee getting sore. What I was worried about was that it was my good knee the was starting to get sore. It just continued to get worse and by km22 I had to start walking. I could run for about 50 meters every once and a while. I just did a speed walk for the last 7-8 km and finished in 3:04:59. I could walk but not very good by then. Then I had to walk back to my car which was another 20 min walk.
I enjoyed the race none the less. I know the problem was created because all my training was done on the treadmill with only the one outdoor session. The outside of my knee was not use to the pounding of the road - lesson learned - now that I`ve done 30 I know I will be ok for the full marathon (42.2 km) at the end of the year (Sept) because from this week on I will be running outside as the snow has started to melt
Who has the next race?
My next is a half marathon in Ottawa - May 25th
2008-04-02 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1310245

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I had that happen, too, Nathan.  When I started training for my marathon back in '06, my injured knee seemed to get better, but my good one would hurt on the outside.  The TNT coaches said I was probably developing some IT band stuff so I just rested it a bit more than planned.  Iced it, good stretching and stuff.  It's definitely one of those things you don't want to push.  Your fitness level is there, but the actual structure of your body needs some time to adjust as well.  Some rest and care should do it, along with getting in some shorter runs on the pavement to get acclimated.

Way to tough out the finish.  Well on your way to 42.2km (371miles).

2008-04-02 9:31 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
I'll be "racing" next weekend.  Big organized group ride on the Natchez Trace on the morning of the 12th.  Definitely doing a metric century, but I'd really like to do a full 100 miles.  Then, I'm following it up with a 5k that starts at 5:30 PM.  Definitely just doing that one for the t-shirt.  Marshall Ramsey is Jackson's local political cartoonist and he designs the shirts.  He is unbelievable witty about local and state stuff and is syndicated in a bunch of papers around the country for his more national work.  Sort of a local celebrity.

2008-04-02 12:04 PM

User image

DC
I love race t-shirts
Nate- sorry your race didn't go as you had hoped; I'm extremely impressed you still finished. I know I would probably have not kept on.
2008-04-03 7:57 AM

User image

Regular
Congrats, Nathan on your race. As I said, sometimes they don't go as planned but you take what you can from each one. You've built yourself a really good base in the process and I am excited to see how you do in triathlon season!!!
2008-04-03 9:09 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
So Candace.  How you feeling as you near a week later?
2008-04-04 8:13 AM

User image

Regular
1. Anyone racing this weekend?

2. Grace, are you on the triathlon reality show yet?

3. Who wants to see pics of my new puppy, Col. Thurston P. Higginbothom?
2008-04-04 10:19 AM

User image

DC
OMG PUPPIES!!! I DO I DO I DOOOO!!
OK obnoxious girly-girlyness done with for the post.

We have kittens in our apartment.
I don't like them. Puppies are amazing.

I emailed the reality show guy and didn't really know what to say, so he wrote me back giving me a little more direction. I'm going to send in more "about myself, less about tris" whatever that means.

2008-04-04 10:57 AM
in reply to: #1315527

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

gracetheterp - 2008-04-04 10:19 AM OMG PUPPIES!!! I DO I DO I DOOOO!! OK obnoxious girly-girlyness done with for the post. We have kittens in our apartment. I don't like them. Puppies are amazing. I emailed the reality show guy and didn't really know what to say, so he wrote me back giving me a little more direction. I'm going to send in more "about myself, less about tris" whatever that means.[/QUOTE]

I think it means pick an angle.  Angry beeyotch or dirty who oar.  I've about decided that if your aren't going to get in fights or sleep with everybody, you aren't getting on TV.  Sadly, this will also apply to a triathlon reality show.

2008-04-04 11:38 AM
in reply to: #1315649

User image

DC
sesh - 2008-04-04 11:57 AM

gracetheterp - 2008-04-04 10:19 AM OMG PUPPIES!!! I DO I DO I DOOOO!! OK obnoxious girly-girlyness done with for the post. We have kittens in our apartment. I don't like them. Puppies are amazing. I emailed the reality show guy and didn't really know what to say, so he wrote me back giving me a little more direction. I'm going to send in more "about myself, less about tris" whatever that means.[/QUOTE]

I think it means pick an angle.  Angry beeyotch or dirty who oar.  I've about decided that if your aren't going to get in fights or sleep with everybody, you aren't getting on TV.  Sadly, this will also apply to a triathlon reality show.

That's what I was thinking. There was an article about how to get on Real World on ehow or some other website, and they basically pick however many people, each fulfilling a certain predetermined stereotype. Beefy jock guy, dumb blonde drama queen, really quiet innocent person...the list goes on. Unfortunately I try really hard not to fit any of those images. Oh well. I'll try
2008-04-04 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1315527

User image

Regular
gracetheterp - 2008-04-04 11:19 AM

OMG PUPPIES!!! I DO I DO I DOOOO!!
OK obnoxious girly-girlyness done with for the post.

We have kittens in our apartment.
I don't like them. Puppies are amazing.

I emailed the reality show guy and didn't really know what to say, so he wrote me back giving me a little more direction. I'm going to send in more "about myself, less about tris" whatever that means.

As soon as i figure out how to shrink the pics I will post them. He ("Higgins") is a lemon/white beagle -- now 10 weeks. He is really into pooing. It's his favorite.
2008-04-04 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Beagles are awesome.

I really need to build a fence.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33