BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 240

2012-01-24 10:38 PM
in reply to: #1137328

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!

First time I had to travel since starting training.  It proved to be not very compatible with training as it was a quick Sunday morning to tonight to Phoenix from Atlanta..

On a positive note, I did manage on Monday morning to run/walk for an hour and covered 4.27 miles. Walked the first mile, jogged the entire second, walked a half mile, jogged a half mile.. and so on with a long walk for the last 15 minutes.  Felt good, and think I could have jogged a bit more.  Did have tender legs the rest of the day and into this morning.

Looking forward to the pool and the bike tomorrow.

2012-01-24 11:18 PM

User image

Walla Walla
Subject: RE: left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH!

Thanks everyone for posting all your good news and inspiration.  I nomiate myself to be the delegate spectator at Ironman Canada.  Its not all that far away from Walla2.

Thanks for chiming in on missing workouts.  Will make the long runs the priority!

2012-01-25 6:09 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Bryan, that is super cool!!!
2012-01-25 6:33 AM
in reply to: #4009646

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
I want to add my congrats, Bryan. Sounds like a beautiful place to have an ironman. I will be cheering you on and tracking your progress online. Today's a big training day for me today. I'm going to try to do a little bit of all three disciplines. Gotta take advantage of a day off of work.
2012-01-25 8:22 AM

Washington DC
Bryan, that's awesome! Congrats on the invite.

Malsup, yay! A mile jog is a big milestone... that's what I'm looking to be able to do.
2012-01-25 8:36 AM

User image

Expert

Bryan, that is AWESOME about IM Canada!!!

Ann - to reply to someone specifically and have their text in your reply, hit the "quote" button instead of the "reply" button in the top right corner of the box.

Kathy - member, veteran, etc.  is based on the number of posts you have (I think).  You can add friends by going to settings, training blog customization, friends.  Then you type in their screen name to find them and add them and then save.  And yes, the blogging is just commenting on your training or anything else you want to write about in your training log.

2012-01-25 8:45 AM

User image

Richmond Hill

Congrats, Bryan!  Looks like a very scenic, beautiful place; but also looks like a very challenging Ironman.  You've certainly proved, though, that your up to whatever challenge comes your way.

I've been checking in on the group - just haven't posted in the past few days.  Does anyone remember Hee-Haw - "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all ....."?  I got out of the pool last week, and after my shower, held my shorts up to the light - could see right through.  Fortunately, they were tri shorts and the key areas were covered with the chamois!  Just got some TYR jammers in last night - they should hold up better.  Friday night, I was on the trainer trying to get a quick ride in before the Domino's man arrived. In my haste to get off the bike and to the door, I snapped off the front end of my pedal.  Hopefully the new pedals will arrive today. Got a cold on Sunday, so didn't feel like doing anything on Monday.  For the rest of the week I'm a single dad while my wife is in Canton, GA helping with my mom who get's out of the hospital today.  Of course, this is all the normal obstacles of life - I guess the key is to not let any of it become excuses.

Thanks,

Robbie

2012-01-25 10:03 AM

User image

Expert

Robbie, as you already know, ( and now everyone else at the poolEmbarassed), you never wear tri shorts in the pool.  First, they cost to much. second, they will wear out very quick. third, because we don't want to see your junk!!!!!!!

Also, by jammers made of polyester and not lycra.  The lycra will also wear out real fast in the chlorine.

That is all.

2012-01-25 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
I started P90X2 today... day 1, X2 Core. wow, i'm humbled.. Could *maybe* do 20 % of the workouts...oy. Well, the good news is, it can't possibly be any worse, so will always be better from now on!

2012-01-25 11:02 AM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Thanks fat2tri... appreciate it.  Feel really good after the first two weeks, as if my body is starting to remember all the hours I put in when i was young...Not doing real good on sticking to the M. Pate 22 week course, as i am "cheating" up on most workouts.  I think i need to look at a bit different one and add it. (I think that is a Positive!!) Bryan.. any thoughts based on my very short log history?

Was able to work from home today, so got to the Gym.  Did 10 miles on stationary @ 37:02 keeping the HR between 143-153.. I think that is a good spot, but havent' been MAP'd?? yet..

Jumped in pool and swam between 1000m and 1200m.. not real sure as i lost count.. ha.. but pretty sure i did the total in 25mins... or soo..... 150/50/100/50/50/50..just doing 50's till the end with short breaks in between.

My goals/planned races so far are the Fort Benning reverse sprint.. may 19th.. Callaway Gardens Sprint.. June 17th.. and if I feel up to it..an Oly in September.. Maybe add something in the run or bike category if it fits in to the Family life..

2012-01-25 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4010161

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Lyoshka - 2012-01-25 10:19 AM I started P90X2 today... day 1, X2 Core. wow, i'm humbled.. Could *maybe* do 20 % of the workouts...oy. Well, the good news is, it can't possibly be any worse, so will always be better from now on!

Whoo hoo.. you are past DAY 1!!!!

2012-01-25 11:05 AM
in reply to: #4009834

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

fat2tri - 2012-01-25 8:22 AM Bryan, that's awesome! Congrats on the invite.

Malsup, yay! A mile jog is a big milestone... that's what I'm looking to be able to do.

Thanks a bunch... You will do it, and probably very soon,  or I will schedule a business trip to Chicago just to come up there and do it with you!!

Monte

2012-01-25 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4010117

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

If you're like me I get tired of swimming in solid colors.  Almost aways the nice race suits are not Poly. 

As Lycra is eaten by the chlorine the elastic inside the threads becomes brittle and the material becomes thinner and thinner.  I used to toss a wet suit and towel back in my gear bag until I got home.  Thats really bad and I ruined several nice race jammers before I found a better way.  You can slow down the process by jumping in the shower before the pool.  This also fills your the pores of your skin with fresh water and reduces the chlorine smell the seems to linger.

I found that SBR Triswim body wash helps to neutralize the chorine if you jump in the shower after the swim and wash your body and suit with Triswim.

Gotta Run. 

2012-01-25 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Robbie, life does throw us curve balls and we just have to find a way around them. Unfortunately life doesn't stop when trianing for a tri. You will learn how to make it work.irishod, how did the brick workout go?Bar92, thanks for the clarificationFit4Infinity, great information about swim suits and chroline. I have started showering after my swim since I don't away get my suit washed right away.
2012-01-25 4:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Today driving for several hours my hamstring was really bothering me. I am having issues with it and driving was not helping. The hamstring is not really tight, a few weeks back I was told I had a grade 1 tear, so I am wondering if I tore the hamstring again. Went to one of my favorite tri stores to talk about tri bikes, paddles and compression socks. I ended walking out with only compression tights and I can already feel a difference with my hamstring already. I hope the feeling is not just my imaagetion as I am so ready to be done with this hamstring issue.
2012-01-25 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Bryan, you are da MAN!! Congrats and good luck! Guess you really DO have to train now!

No problem, Ann... you will get LOTS of help with EVERYTHING around here (some of which may at some point be TMI, for that matter)

2012-01-25 5:37 PM
in reply to: #4010975

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
krazytallchick - 2012-01-25 5:15 PMRobbie, life does throw us curve balls and we just have to find a way around them. Unfortunately life doesn't stop when trianing for a tri. You will learn how to make it work.irishod, how did the brick workout go?Bar92, thanks for the clarificationFit4Infinity, great information about swim suits and chroline. I have started showering after my swim since I don't away get my suit washed right away.
The brick workout went great, Kathy. Ran 6, then added on another 1.65 in hill training and warm down. Swam 3000 yds and biked 17.81 on the expresso stationary bike. I didn't do it all sequentially though. For some reason I enjoy the biking the least, probably since I have the least experience with it. I should focus on it more, but with my first marathon coming up May 6'th, the running is my priority right now. I want to be in position to jump right into tri's in late May or early June. Does anyone have any advice on an appropriate recovery time after a marathon before entering a tri? It would likely be a sprint tri.
2012-01-25 5:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Kathy get a foam roller or the Trigger Point therapy gear and roll your hammy happy. For a foam roller I recommend the Grid by Trigger Point. It is awesome and doesn't break down like foam.
2012-01-25 5:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
One thing for all of you.

One reason this group has worked all these years is because I am really smart -- haha. -- gotcha. -- not really. THE real reason is that every one of you is smart. Some with running - some with swim trunks - some with fondant icing. And you all share. Every one of you is invited to weigh in on any discussion. If you are a bit offline, we will gently nudge you back to the center of the road. I will certainly give my opinion and let you know what I think but I wan all of you to feel free to collaborate. As I said, it's what makes this group great. It will be very evident when the discussion turns to peeing in your wetsuit and on your bike. Just wait. We talk about EVERYTHING.
2012-01-25 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4011101

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

Marathon recovery takes about 21 days, depending on you level of fitness and how deep in the cave of pain you run the mary.  I think you will really enjoy swimming after the marathon.  One of may favorite recovery workouts is to run in chest deep water 25 yards turn around and swim back.  I do this for 45 minutes to an hour.  Subst this workout for you run days. Continue with swim and bike as your plans calls for.  After a week of swim run. try walk run for another couple of sessions.  about ten days in you'll be able to run again.  You might notice you can run but will not have the normal bounce or snap in your stride.   That will come back around the end of the third week.  MAssage and icing imediately after the race helps accelerate the healing process by reducing inflamation.  Thats a whole nother topic. 

If you continue to bike and swim during recovery you shouldn't lose to much fitness as the result of running a marathon.  You will have a deep mental toughness that will help when you race IMAZ with us.   But you will not be training as hard as you want in the 3 weeks you're recovering.  Thats the price of racing long distances.  Thats one of the reasons you don't see any training days in a marathon plan of distances greater than 20 miles.  The recovery interval is greater than the training adaptation.

You will be ready for that June 6th Sprint. (whisper.....you'll be ready for the oly,,,,do it)

Cheers   

2012-01-25 6:16 PM

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

WOW - Hello and welcome to all the new faces.  You've come to the right place.  The finish line is right over there -->  Lets go.

I'm Mark aka Fit.  This group is awesome.

2012-01-25 6:57 PM

User image

Richmond Hill

Thanks, Billy! I remember reading the reviews on Amazon when I bought those tri shorts that they shouldn't be worn in the pool. I just never realized how quickly they would get ruined! I checked the jammers I just bought and they are 100% polyester. 

Mark aka Fit - Thanks for the suggestions. I have noticed that even though I shower with soap after my swim, I still have a strong chlorine smell all day at work. I'll give the pre-swim shower and the post-swim SBR Triswim a try.

2012-01-25 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Hey guys, everyone here has some amazing stories, but i will single out Mark aka Fit, because he has a truly AMAZING story to share! Share away, Mark. Very inspiring!
2012-01-25 7:46 PM
in reply to: #4011141

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Fit4Infinity - 2012-01-25 7:13 PM

Marathon recovery takes about 21 days, depending on you level of fitness and how deep in the cave of pain you run the mary.  I think you will really enjoy swimming after the marathon.  One of may favorite recovery workouts is to run in chest deep water 25 yards turn around and swim back.  I do this for 45 minutes to an hour.  Subst this workout for you run days. Continue with swim and bike as your plans calls for.  After a week of swim run. try walk run for another couple of sessions.  about ten days in you'll be able to run again.  You might notice you can run but will not have the normal bounce or snap in your stride.   That will come back around the end of the third week.  MAssage and icing imediately after the race helps accelerate the healing process by reducing inflamation.  Thats a whole nother topic. 

If you continue to bike and swim during recovery you shouldn't lose to much fitness as the result of running a marathon.  You will have a deep mental toughness that will help when you race IMAZ with us.   But you will not be training as hard as you want in the 3 weeks you're recovering.  Thats the price of racing long distances.  Thats one of the reasons you don't see any training days in a marathon plan of distances greater than 20 miles.  The recovery interval is greater than the training adaptation.

You will be ready for that June 6th Sprint. (whisper.....you'll be ready for the oly,,,,do it)

Cheers   

Thanks Mark, that's valuble advice, I appreciate it.  Have you ever used something called "The Stick" for massaging you legs?  It's a roller device that I picked up two months ago for a knot in my calve that has worked well.  Maybe I'll jump into the Oly - We'll see.  Looking forward to your inspirational story.

Kathy, I use a foam roller for an IT band problem I've struggled with in the past and it's worked great.  Good luck with the hamstring.

John

2012-01-25 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Okay I must be doing something wired with my foam roller as I don't get anything from it. Should I put pressure on my leg while rolling over it? Currently I am icing it.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » left.right.repeat group -closed - Full of a bunch of winners...YEAH! Rss Feed  

of 240