BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-08-21 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
John
What do you think the cutoff for registration for Lonestar will be.  I would love to do it, but way too early to commit for me. 

2009-08-21 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2362892

User image

Champion
marietta
Plainsman AU - 2009-08-21 2:05 PM John
What do you think the cutoff for registration for Lonestar will be.  I would love to do it, but way too early to commit for me. 

Well after the first of the year, I would think.  I just went through my email and couldn't find anything about it selling out last year.  For some reason i think it did but pretty close to the race.

New Orleans 70.3 is the weekend before so that's going to take some folks away.   
2009-08-21 2:58 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I am with Barry on the early commitment.  It appears that Kim and I may be going to France in July for The Tour de France so I fear committing to any other big expenses right now.  I would give up coffee and Jack Daniel's if it meant going to the Tour (maybe not give it up )  But I will have a better idea in October, November.... Hell even if it is last minute, and can grab a floor somewhere I should be ok.
2009-08-21 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2363059

User image

Champion
marietta
swbkrun - 2009-08-21 2:58 PM I am with Barry on the early commitment.  It appears that Kim and I may be going to France in July for The Tour de France so I fear committing to any other big expenses right now.  I would give up coffee and Jack Daniel's if it meant going to the Tour (maybe not give it up )  But I will have a better idea in October, November.... Hell even if it is last minute, and can grab a floor somewhere I should be ok.

WHAT!!!  If you go at the end.... IMCH w/ me!

edit... Man now I'm thinking flyinf into de gaulle and catching the last few days!!!

edit... WE CAN WEAR CAPRI'S... AND IT WILL BE OK!!!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-08-21 3:14 PM
2009-08-21 5:06 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Yahoo, the man cobbled together the wires and our Internet works!!! I knew I married him for a reason.

Swam in Lake Tomahawk a bit ago, it is 55F outside and the water temps was 65F.  I guess this is what it must feel like to live in Canada!  I took a first look at our house remodel and it is pretty amazing.  Probably a good six weeks away from completion,but the new windows are in, the addition has been added, and log siding is in process.  Pretty cool.

I won't be able to make a decision on Lonestar for a while yet, although I think I might book a room at the place Tony recommended so I have a placeholder.  I really would love to come, especially because Tony owes me a beer and my birthday is on 4/25 so I am sure you guys would be nice to me. Right?

Well, I have to get ready for my fish fry (a staple in WI) with the brown drink club.  I think Diet Coke will pass for a brown drink, won't it?
2009-08-21 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2363355

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2009-08-21 5:06 PM

I won't be able to make a decision on Lonestar for a while yet, although I think I might book a room at the place Tony recommended so I have a placeholder.  I really would love to come, especially because Tony owes me a beer and my birthday is on 4/25 so I am sure you guys would be nice to me. Right?
)

This is a very good idea as it sold out last year.  There was no cancellation charge either. 

2009-08-21 5:46 PM
in reply to: #2363355

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
SSMinnow - 2009-08-21 5:06 PM Yahoo, the man cobbled together the wires and our Internet works!!! I knew I married him for a reason.

Swam in Lake Tomahawk a bit ago, it is 55F outside and the water temps was 65F.  I guess this is what it must feel like to live in Canada!  I took a first look at our house remodel and it is pretty amazing.  Probably a good six weeks away from completion,but the new windows are in, the addition has been added, and log siding is in process.  Pretty cool.

Well, I have to get ready for my fish fry (a staple in WI) with the brown drink club.  I think Diet Coke will pass for a brown drink, won't it?

WINDOWS?  I could have gotten you hooked up on some windows up there in your neck of the woods. What kind of windows did you put in?  Is your place in Tomahawk?
2009-08-21 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2363421

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2009-08-21 5:46 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-08-21 5:06 PM Yahoo, the man cobbled together the wires and our Internet works!!! I knew I married him for a reason.

WINDOWS?  I could have gotten you hooked up on some windows up there in your neck of the woods. What kind of windows did you put in?  Is your place in Tomahawk?

Andersen Windows with tinting.......our place is in Minocqua which is pretty far north of Tomahawk, but we are on Lake Tomahawk if that makes any sense.  If you are ever in Wausau when I am up here, you should take the hour and drive up.  It really is an amazing neck of the woods, especially in the summer.
2009-08-21 6:52 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I hope everyone has a happy, fun filled weekend, and the racers race their hearts out! The drinkers drink their livers out!  And some the novice like myself finds a happy medium!!!

Tracy--- Enjoy the new ride!

I'm outta here for the weekend!
2009-08-22 6:43 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Tracey what kind of gearing are you going with for savageman?  LOL, that course screams for a triple, plenty of gears to make it up the mountain, and even more importantly more gears to scream back down the other side : )

Waiting for sam to clear out all the crap out of her truck (it takes a long, long time...) so we can get the bikes packed up to head to the TT.  I missed our summer clothing order so all I have is a regular kit, I ordered a skinsuit with matching booties for racing TT's next year, i'll look like a real TT guy then : )

Suzy, I am jealous of all the OWS you get in, I probably won't get any more in until Lonestar next year, and I have found that right now I enjoy swimming in lakes much more than pools.

From talking to John the hotel might be the best option for Sam and I, since you can walk to transition and we will be sans kids for this trip.  We are still trying to get our dates figured out, might try and stay a couple days after the race to have time to party it up a bit, I hate getting to a race early, because you end up thinking about the race and worrying about what you eat (well I do anyways).  After the race, all bets are off.

Good luck anyone and everyone that is racing this weekend.
2009-08-22 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2363828

User image

Expert
B'ham
Matching booties, capris, pedicures - and that's just the men in this group!!!!

For counter balance, I did a 10.5 mile trail run this morning - barefoot, no shirt in 40* sideways rain and to top it off - NO iPOD.  Manly

Ok, maybe the barefoot, shirt and rain are not true, but I did have a nice trail run looking over the San Juan islands this morning.

2009-08-22 2:54 PM

User image

Matt...LMAO...should have waited a day or two to fess up...too funny  Wink
2009-08-22 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Tony,  I have a double in the front on my road bike, same as last year.  I managed to suffer through last year so I'll make it this year as well I hope.  

Didn't take the new girl out today - we were having lightning storms Cry.   Will go out tomorrow for sure. 

Hope all the racers are having great success this weekend. 

Edited by tahrens 2009-08-23 4:35 PM
2009-08-22 8:24 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Hey gang...hope everyone had a great weekend!

Oh crap it isn't over yet.  For some reason it seems like Sunday to me.  Just got back from a nice day at the lake.
But did manage to get a nice 65 mile ride in this morning.  Pretty hilly route, but the good news is that I felt great at the end and actually felt like I had the strenght to do a run afterward.  Probably easier said than done.

2009-08-22 8:33 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Alright!  Whats up everyone?  Great race today.  Moonwalk was in effect at the finish line!  I'm told there are images out there of it,  not sure about video. 

I'm really stoked with my swim.  1:58 / 100... WOOOOT first time below 2!    I tried to focus on what I've learned from my coach and it paid off! 

More in the RR, but I got cut up pretty good on an oyster bed at the start, along with almost everyone else, and knew I was bleeding pretty good.  At ~100yds I was getting really pi$$ed off about the cuts and wondering how they were going to feel when I got out and on the bike/run.  I can't really describe it but the MG, you guys as a whole,  popped in my head I just thought get going and deal with it later. Thanks!

I averaged just under 21 on the bike and 9:15 miles on the run.  As you know, I'm slow on the bike so this is good.  The run is the one of the three where I should have pushed harder.  I could have easily been around 8:55 or so, maybe faster.

Still a longer race than two weeks ago and much faster times so its cool.

Hope everyone is having a GREAT weekend.
2009-08-22 8:48 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Matt.  Way to man up!

Barry.  I gotcha man.  This was my first Saturday race and I keep having to remind myself that its ok to go to the fridge,  tomorrow is Sunday.

Sam. You drive a truck?  *big smile*  You busy Tuesday night?  Maybe we can get a beer or something.

Tony.  booties?  really?  *shakes head*

2009-08-22 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2364450

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-22 8:33 PM Alright!  Whats up everyone?  Great race today.  Moonwalk was in effect at the finish line!  I'm told there are images out there of it,  not sure about video. 

I'm really stoked with my swim.  1:58 / 100... WOOOOT first time below 2!    I tried to focus on what I've learned from my coach and it paid off! 

More in the RR, but I got cut up pretty good on an oyster bed at the start, along with almost everyone else, and knew I was bleeding pretty good.  At ~100yds I was getting really pi$$ed off about the cuts and wondering how they were going to feel when I got out and on the bike/run.  I can't really describe it but the MG, you guys as a whole,  popped in my head I just thought get going and deal with it later. Thanks!

I averaged just under 21 on the bike and 9:15 miles on the run.  As you know, I'm slow on the bike so this is good.  The run is the one of the three where I should have pushed harder.  I could have easily been around 8:55 or so, maybe faster.

I don't get it, you averaged 21mph and you are slow????? I think it is awesome as was your whole race! Congratulations!!  Hope your cuts heal fast.  I got sliced by Zerba Mussels at my last race and it stinks.

Barry--nice job on the ride today.  Did you hit the lake for as swim too?

I had a nice run and swim in Minocqua before heading back to Madison.   Tomorrow a group of us are going to Devils Lake for an hour swim and then biking back to Madison.  Weather looks cool, but sunny so it should be perfect1

2009-08-22 10:23 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
wow john, super nice race today!  you are so modest!!!!!  lol
barry- great ride today

my new coach steve asked me to find a 10k anytime soon so we could get my zones nailed down, and I jokingly said, oh, there's one tomorrow (after doing my 6 mi race pace run today)   and he says PERFECT!!! Run as hard as you can like your going to die at the end, okay??? and then upload your garmin info for me....   uhhhhh....kinda short notice.....are you sure?????  yes, talk to you tomorrow!!!  wth???  okay, so I'm down with that...wish me luck on tomorrow's short notice 10k....

suzy...what did you get me into?! 
2009-08-23 5:55 AM
in reply to: #2364549

User image

Champion
kt65 - 2009-08-22 10:23 PM wow john, super nice race today!  you are so modest!!!!!  lol
barry- great ride today

my new coach steve asked me to find a 10k anytime soon so we could get my zones nailed down, and I jokingly said, oh, there's one tomorrow (after doing my 6 mi race pace run today)   and he says PERFECT!!! Run as hard as you can like your going to die at the end, okay??? and then upload your garmin info for me....   uhhhhh....kinda short notice.....are you sure?????  yes, talk to you tomorrow!!!  wth???  okay, so I'm down with that...wish me luck on tomorrow's short notice 10k....

suzy...what did you get me into?! 

Sounds like a good plan to me! Laughing  He always says things like "run 'til you feel like dying" or "bike 'til you feel like puking"....you'll get used to it.  Just make sure you don't injure yourself in the process--I temper his advice with a little common sense.  Once you have your LT (average HR for the race) you will be set.  GOOD LUCK!!!

For those who have shipped their bikes before, did you buy a case? which one? also isn't there a company that ships bikes to a location versus having to rely on the airlines?

Back at ya later....I'm off to swim and bike, nearly an all day affair.

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-08-23 5:55 AM
2009-08-23 9:26 AM

User image

Nice going John!  You are the man!!

Suzy, there is a company called Tri Transport that I've heard about for shipping bikes.  I know our local tri shop does some shipping...might want to check with your local shop.  

Off for some ST 

Hope everyone has a great day!

2009-08-23 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2364450

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
fattyfatfat - 2009-08-22 8:33 PM Alright!  Whats up everyone?  Great race today.  Moonwalk was in effect at the finish line!  I'm told there are images out there of it,  not sure about video. 

Nice times big guy!  If you start getting down in that sub 9 pace, you will become one of those runner guys, so be careful.

2009-08-23 11:48 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
RR here

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-08-23 11:49 AM
2009-08-23 3:23 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Hi:

I am sorry I haven't been around. It is looking like I have to pull out of my next tri (September 27). I have been not doing well at all - both with extremely severe crippling depressions as well as physical illness (anemia kicking my butt.)

This is what I just wrote my coaches/staff:

---------------------------------------------
Amidst several crippling depressive episodes, I have been struggling with very severe anemia.  (To give you an idea of how bad it has been - one day last week I actually walked forty blocks in Manhattan (high 90s with high humidity) while wearing a sweater jacket and actually felt quite comfortable - I wondered why everyone else was so hot.)

Anyway, it has caused a great deal of tiredness and some dizziness.  But mostly just tiredness.  One week I did attempt to do a brick with the team.  After the bike through the Westchester course, I ran a few yards, before determining that there was no way that I could continue to do the run and went back to my car.  I have been pondering and praying about this for a couple of weeks now, but at this point I am not sure it to be possible.  I was supposed to do a fundraiser (spin-a-thon) at my gym that the management were helping me with, but I have been so extremely tired that I missed several days at the gym and we have yet to get it going.

My doctor has ordered a hemoglobin analysis because it is believed that the anemia may not be due to an iron deficiency (I eat almost a pound of steamed spinach almost every day - to no avail) but due to a genetic hemoglobin disorder.  In which case, my treatment would be totally different than "throwing iron at me."  I am also being tested for vitamin deficiencies.  I would not get the results until the end of next week, but there is  a possibility that I would have to take three weeks off to "reboot" once the cause has been determined.  I suspect that with the year long hard training, my body, which is already most likely genetically anemic, may have additional needs to sustain.  This would be my fourth triathlon this year and I was really looking forward to it since I trained the majority of the year with the Westchester team.  This past week I thought I had it nipped in the bud. I started taking vitamin supplements and started doing mini-bricks in the gym, only to suffer crash and burn by Thursday.

I have discussed this with my sports nutritionist also and she says, "Triathlon is supposed to be fun. Not torture." 

...the NYC Tri may have done me in.  After the NYC Tri, I was exhausted for over three weeks.  I just lay in bed every weekend and could not even go to the gym with the exception of a rogue spin class here and there.
------------------------------------

Anyway, that is what is going on with me and why I haven't been on.  Trying, I am sorry that I did not respond to your post - I just haven't been on.

I hope you all are doing great! I plan to keep you updated!

dbw27
2009-08-23 5:27 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Danett-Good luck to you, sounds like your doctors will nail this down and the get the anemia figured out...as for taking time off, your health is the number one priority...both physical and mental.  In my experience it often seems that one follows the other.  Good to hear you keeping a positive attitude.

I ran the surprise 10k today and had a PR of 46:06!  Quite unbelievable if you ask me...I couldn't believe I could keep that pace for six whole miles, but since I was supposed to finish feeling sick to my stomach, I went all out.  They didn't give out age group awards for this small race, but I was 4th overall woman and 15th overall place (maybe about 100 total runners).  This was actually a fun race that they call "Time is on your side"  No watches, HRM's, pacers, ipods... Participants guess their finishing time and whoever comes closest wins!  I took an exception and didn't enter the contest because I needed to get my heart rate reading for zones, but I would've been WAY off, by probably 2 minutes!  This guy actually missed by only one second! unbelievable.  This would be really fun to do again next year, and enter the contest.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!  
2009-08-23 6:32 PM

User image

Fantastic job Kim!  Way to run...especially since this was a list minute decision. 

Danette, I agree with Kim.  Get your health in order...and the rest will fall into place.  Good luck to you.

Edited by Havin'Fun 2009-08-23 6:33 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383