BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-08-24 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2366248

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!

SSMinnow - 2009-08-24 9:32 AM
kt65 - 2009-08-24 8:34 AM

Just make sure you learn to breath left because the sun is on your right from the start out to the first turn.

okay, john, now I for sure am not coming to Texas, I cannot breathe left for the life of me...no matter how hard i try, it escapes me...

Thanks all, for the kudos, off to the pool for me!  it's been a week and a half since I last did any swimming at all.  I think there are some one arm drills in my workout...  

Yet another reason Kim and I were separated at a very long birth.  I am a right side breather and while I will do my darnest to get over that by April, it may not happen.  Like Tony, I have tinted goggles so the sun isn't much of an issue (of course how often do I really site anyway?).  Unless it is a shark or an alligator nothing in the water bothers me much.  I see tons of fish and weeds everyday in our Wisconsin lakes.....off to do more cleaning.....and maybe a little work?????

The key to dealing with sharks and alligators is to not be the little "minnow" trailing behind the "school".  There is safety in that group!

2009-08-24 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Champion
marietta
I learned to bilateral breathe because I'm nosy and want to see whats going on around me. Laughing  I understand improved form is a result, but to me the most noticeable benefit is it makes siting much easier.   Either way, I'm faster because of it. 

Below is from Mr. Swim Smooth that Tony brought up earlier.

"If you only breathe to one side it's nearly impossible to maintain a symmetrical stroke...."

Stating the obvious here but dark goggles might block the sun but they won't block swell and chop.

2009-08-24 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2366295

User image

Champion
marietta
ashort33 - 2009-08-24 9:47 AM

The key to dealing with sharks and alligators is to not be the little "minnow" trailing behind the "school".  There is safety in that group!

Good thing neither of these are in Offats Bayou.  Right Andy?
2009-08-24 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2366357

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-08-24 10:01 AM I learned to bilateral breathe because I'm nosy and want to see whats going on around me. Laughing  I understand improved form is a result, but to me the most noticeable benefit is it makes siting much easier.   Either way, I'm faster because of it. 

Below is from Mr. Swim Smooth that Tony brought up earlier.

"If you only breathe to one side it's nearly impossible to maintain a symmetrical stroke...."

Stating the obvious here but dark goggles might block the sun but they won't block swell and chop.

Theoretically I understand the importance of bilateral breathing, I just need more work on it than time allows before my olympic - yes it could come back to bite me in the butt, but right now I am willing to take that risk to insure that I can swim the mile without a wetsuit and still have enough juice to get out of the water and bike/run.  Part of the winter training will be working on bilateral breathing and flip turns for sure! 

2009-08-24 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2366380

User image

Champion
marietta
ashort33 - 2009-08-24 10:07 AM

Theoretically I understand the importance of bilateral breathing, I just need more work on it than time allows before my olympic - yes it could come back to bite me in the butt, but right now I am willing to take that risk to insure that I can swim the mile without a wetsuit and still have enough juice to get out of the water and bike/run.  Part of the winter training will be working on bilateral breathing and flip turns for sure! 

No it won't!  You are going to crush that swim with plenty to spare!!!   I'll overnight you a chow down!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-08-24 10:12 AM
2009-08-24 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2366377

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-08-24 10:06 AM
ashort33 - 2009-08-24 9:47 AM

Good thing neither of these are in Offats Bayou.  Right Andy?

Yep, do they still do they still circle everyone up and chant "Go away teeth, go away?" 10 or 20 times before getting in the water?  Seems like there was more to that ritual though....

what's the old saying - "You don't have to swim faster than the shark, just faster than the guy next to you..."

Edited by ashort33 2009-08-24 10:23 AM

2009-08-24 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2366380

User image

Expert
B'ham
Just want to chime in a bit on the bilateral breathing.  Sun isn't the only reason this is a good skill to have.  Wind is another, being able to breathe away from the chop is very helpful on a windy day.  And like John, I'll use breathing from both sides to use the group as confirmation that I'm on the right course so I don't have to site as often. 

That's right, I picked up all of this knowledge in two sprints and a handful of group swims.
2009-08-24 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Small Town
Hey all, was gone for the weekend at my sister (in law) wedding. 

I see we're talking swim stuff.  Good, so bilateral breathing.  I can't do it, easily.  I can do it for a short while, but no longer than say 50 yards.  Then I get out of breath and confused.  What I've looked at just says that bilat breathing is a necessity - for pool swimmers... and good open water swimmers.  As has been already pointed out, you won't have an even stroke unless you breath both sides.  And you risk wind/water in your face if you can only breath one side in the open water, not to mention being able to know your location based on other swimmers.  All invaluable, if you can do it.

What I was told was to start to practice bilat breathing.  Then I would be able to do it during a race when I need to (water conditions, tracking, etc.) and rely on my same side breathing to get me through the water.

So I think I basically just did a paragraph of summerizing what has already been said, so I'm post padding.

I have the free MR.SwimSmooth program thing.  I think it's ok, but I will have to have that eye in the water to correct what I do wrong.  There are so many little variables to swimming, that it's hard to watch one thing and then go to the water and pratice it - only to have someone else tell me that I should do it another way.
2009-08-24 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2366473

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
JHagerman - 2009-08-24 10:34 AM Hey all, was gone for the weekend at my sister (in law) wedding. 

I see we're talking swim stuff.  Good, so bilateral breathing.  I can't do it, easily.  I can do it for a short while, but no longer than say 50 yards.  Then I get out of breath and confused.  What I've looked at just says that bilat breathing is a necessity - for pool swimmers... and good open water swimmers.  As has been already pointed out, you won't have an even stroke unless you breath both sides.  And you risk wind/water in your face if you can only breath one side in the open water, not to mention being able to know your location based on other swimmers.  All invaluable, if you can do it.

What I was told was to start to practice bilat breathing.  Then I would be able to do it during a race when I need to (water conditions, tracking, etc.) and rely on my same side breathing to get me through the water.

So I think I basically just did a paragraph of summerizing what has already been said, so I'm post padding.

I have the free MR.SwimSmooth program thing.  I think it's ok, but I will have to have that eye in the water to correct what I do wrong.  There are so many little variables to swimming, that it's hard to watch one thing and then go to the water and pratice it - only to have someone else tell me that I should do it another way.

I WAS a bilateral breather with a super sucky stroke because I wasn't able to get balance on that non breathing side.  I went back to single sided breathing and am less sucky .  One of my goals also is to get back to it,  but like Jeremy and Andy I have bigger fish to fry this season.   Steve taught me the tuck the chin press the ear into the water (video) when it is choppy and it works reasonably well when I have to breathe into a wave.   Sometimes I get blasted and then I just go vertical and course correct myself.  One day, I will be like Linda and the other super MG swimmers, but for now I am just a minnow trying to follow the school  in an Oly or greater distance.  And for what it is worth, one of the best swimmers in my OWS class is a single sided breather.   He has done a bazillion IMs, 3 TTTs and some long distance swimming races and doesn't seem off balance at all Wink
2009-08-24 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Speaking of swimming, I had a Talk Me Down for the Edge moment this weekend about just registering for a swim!   A group of us were are going to swim our IM location in 3 weeks to do a pier to pier swim race in practice for the IM.  So I was thinking it was in the intercoastal waterways, i.e. ON THE RACE COURSE!    In summation this is what I was expecting....

1.  Distance:  0.71 miles
 2. Location:  intercoastal waterway
 3. Conditions:  no waves and wetsuits

Here is what it really is.....
 1. Distance:  1.71 ~ 2 mile swim
 2.  Location:  ocean side swim
 3. Conditions:  running beach start through the surf and no wetsuits

HOLY CRAP!   I've never swum (is that a word?) in the ocean before, never done a running beach start, did I say never done an ocean swim before?!?!!  I can handle the distance (I hope) if I get my butt in gear NOW, but this is not what I was mentally planning for.   Therefore this race will be a GET OVER YOUR FEAR kind of race.  The one good thing is that we will be swimming with the current.  The average times from last year are under an hour, like 40 minutes!  They even have an under 18 wave.  I am so going to get my butt kicked.  Is it possible to cry in goggles and still sight?

Linda, you've done ocean swims right?  HELP ME!!
2009-08-24 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2366610

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
When I run into choppy water I just roll a tad bit more to get to air, seems to work well for me but my OWS times seem to get slower and my pool times faster so lots of good stuff here. 

My plan for November after MCM is to do no running (other than OBX 8k and a turkey trot or two), no biking and hit the pool 4 days a week to get ready to start my HIM plan. 

2009-08-24 11:38 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
well speak of the devil...  just got an evite from my tri club.. riding the lone star course this weekend.  plenty of room for ya'll at my house ;-

Seriously, Andy c'mon down.
2009-08-24 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2366652

User image

Champion
dalessit - 2009-08-24 11:25 AM When I run into choppy water I just roll a tad bit more to get to air, seems to work well for me but my OWS times seem to get slower and my pool times faster so lots of good stuff here. 

My plan for November after MCM is to do no running (other than OBX 8k and a turkey trot or two), no biking and hit the pool 4 days a week to get ready to start my HIM plan. 

No running? No biking? like NONE? Hardcore.  I think we will need to talk to Sam to see if that really happens .

Regarding the rotate more to breathe, that is what I did and at least 50% of the time I was sucking H20.  By creating that trough with your head you can actually remain pretty streamlined and still get air because your mouth is higher.  By all means do whatever works best for you, but I was kind of amazed how well it works.

Tracy--you are a rock solid swimmer.  You basically went from freaking out to strategizing on how to get that swim done in the same breathe.  Pretty funny.  If it were me, I would be looking for someone else to do it....if the waves didnt send me over the edge, the no wetsuit clause would for sure!  Go get 'em!
2009-08-24 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2366699

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2009-08-24 12:40 PM
dalessit - 2009-08-24 11:25 AM When I run into choppy water I just roll a tad bit more to get to air, seems to work well for me but my OWS times seem to get slower and my pool times faster so lots of good stuff here. 

No running? No biking? like NONE? Hardcore.  I think we will need to talk to Sam to see if that really happens .

Regarding the rotate more to breathe, that is what I did and at least 50% of the time I was sucking H20.  By creating that trough with your head you can actually remain pretty streamlined and still get air because your mouth is higher.  By all means do whatever works best for you, but I was kind of amazed how well it works.

Tracy--you are a rock solid swimmer.  You basically went from freaking out to strategizing on how to get that swim done in the same breathe.  Pretty funny.  If it were me, I would be looking for someone else to do it....if the waves didnt send me over the edge, the no wetsuit clause would for sure!  Go get 'em!

thats my plan.  Just focus on the swimming.  when I was earlier I got so much faster.  I was going to try to take the month easy anyways. 
2009-08-24 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2366640

User image

Elite
san francisco
tahrens - 2009-08-24 9:22 AM Speaking of swimming, I had a Talk Me Down for the Edge moment this weekend about just registering for a swim!   A group of us were are going to swim our IM location in 3 weeks to do a pier to pier swim race in practice for the IM.  So I was thinking it was in the intercoastal waterways, i.e. ON THE RACE COURSE!    In summation this is what I was expecting....

HOLY CRAP!   I've never swum (is that a word?) in the ocean before, never done a running beach start, did I say never done an ocean swim before?!?!!  I can handle the distance (I hope) if I get my butt in gear NOW, but this is not what I was mentally planning for.   Therefore this race will be a GET OVER YOUR FEAR kind of race.  The one good thing is that we will be swimming with the current.  The average times from last year are under an hour, like 40 minutes!  They even have an under 18 wave.  I am so going to get my butt kicked.  Is it possible to cry in goggles and still sight?

First of all, Tracy, you can definitely do this!  You have been swimming tons and you are very strong.  Once you get used to the rhythm of the water, you will be fine...I was surprised at how well I swam in the ocean (without a wetsuit) with the waves, and the salt water really keeps you buoyant.
I highlighted that last statement of yours because in my first olympic where it took fifty something minutes to finish, I was crying in my goggles and NO, it definitely did not improve my sighting, but then again I was on my back for the bulk of that swim!
You are WAY past that, girlfriend.  Swimming with the current is so much fun!  It almost feels like body surfing...it'll be fun! 
2009-08-24 12:28 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Happy Monday all.....
I must be the only one in our group that breathes to the left. All you one directional breathers breathe to the right??? Are you all righthanded or something by chance??

I had a breakthrough moment this weekend...My 1/2 mary plan said to do a 5k race this weekend.Then an easy 6 or 7 miles the next day.....We were out at the cabin. I was feeling really lazy on Sat morning. Did not feel like running whatsoever. I started to think about wanting to keep on my plan and I actually laughed about the Barry/Chris HTFU moments from last week. So I ran the 5k and ended up PB'ing it!! Best was 27 flat prior, and I ran it in 26:32. I had a real mental breakthrough as I did not know if I could hold that pace, and I kept wanting to tell my body/legs to stop!!! But I pushed through it. I'm really starting to learn that my body can do more than my mind allows sometimes. I think my mind is what is limiting me sometimes, and I'm not sure how to bust out of it.... Not sure if its that former-fatty thing or what?? You guys experience that?? I'm thinking the Johns/Andys or the world may know what I'm saying.

2009-08-24 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2366803

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kt65 - 2009-08-24 11:13 AM
tahrens - 2009-08-24 9:22 AM Speaking of swimming, I had a Talk Me Down for the Edge moment this weekend about just registering for a swim!   A group of us were are going to swim our IM location in 3 weeks to do a pier to pier swim race in practice for the IM.  So I was thinking it was in the intercoastal waterways, i.e. ON THE RACE COURSE!    In summation this is what I was expecting....

First of all, Tracy, you can definitely do this!  You have been swimming tons and you are very strong.  Once you get used to the rhythm of the water, you will be fine...I was surprised at how well I swam in the ocean (without a wetsuit) with the waves, and the salt water really keeps you buoyant.
I highlighted that last statement of yours because in my first olympic where it took fifty something minutes to finish, I was crying in my goggles and NO, it definitely did not improve my sighting, but then again I was on my back for the bulk of that swim!
You are WAY past that, girlfriend.  Swimming with the current is so much fun!  It almost feels like body surfing...it'll be fun! 

I agree with Kim...Tracy you are solid. When you are done, add another feather to the cap. You'll be swimming with a pack by the sounds of it. You're GOLD Tracy!!! (not Tracy Gold that's differentWink)
2009-08-24 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
 Hula Dancer  WAY TO GO TREVOR--a PB is awesome!!!!    I'm doing a little hula dance just for you!!!! 

You know another reason I am doing the dance?  I just booked our tickets to Hawaii--Feb 11-21!! I promise I won't be talking about this for the next 6 months, but I am pysched to be going back for our 13th year.  We are heading to Maui for 5 days before visiting the man's parents in Kaui for another 5 days!!  Still working on locking in on the perfect Maui condo, but it will be on Kaanapali for sure....great beach and great running area....YIPEE!

2009-08-24 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2366694

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-08-24 11:38 AM well speak of the devil...  just got an evite from my tri club.. riding the lone star course this weekend.  plenty of room for ya'll at my house ;-

Seriously, Andy c'mon down.

Wish I could, too much going on this weekend - and I am going to need some downtime as well, been burning at both ends for a week and half now...

2009-08-24 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2366861

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

TrevorC - 2009-08-24 12:28 PM Happy Monday all.....
I must be the only one in our group that breathes to the left. All you one directional breathers breathe to the right??? Are you all righthanded or something by chance??

I had a breakthrough moment this weekend...My 1/2 mary plan said to do a 5k race this weekend.Then an easy 6 or 7 miles the next day.....We were out at the cabin. I was feeling really lazy on Sat morning. Did not feel like running whatsoever. I started to think about wanting to keep on my plan and I actually laughed about the Barry/Chris HTFU moments from last week. So I ran the 5k and ended up PB'ing it!! Best was 27 flat prior, and I ran it in 26:32. I had a real mental breakthrough as I did not know if I could hold that pace, and I kept wanting to tell my body/legs to stop!!! But I pushed through it. I'm really starting to learn that my body can do more than my mind allows sometimes. I think my mind is what is limiting me sometimes, and I'm not sure how to bust out of it.... Not sure if its that former-fatty thing or what?? You guys experience that?? I'm thinking the Johns/Andys or the world may know what I'm saying.

I was reading some place that fatigue is a neuro-psychological response more than a muscular response... I'll have to find that again.  Kinda portends the old saying that is 100% mental...

2009-08-24 2:23 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
so what does one think of this treadmill
...........http://www.advancedfitnessgroup.com/products/treadmills/20AT.aspx

2009-08-24 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2367254

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

TrevorC - 2009-08-24 2:23 PM so what does one think of this treadmill

It looks like a fancy moving sidewalk with an ipod holder

Seriously though, Iwould have someone explain the warranty.  It says lifetime frame and motor and then 1 year labor and 3 years parts...  That confused me...  Have you googled it looking for reviews?

2009-08-24 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2367328

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
ashort33 - 2009-08-24 1:44 PM

TrevorC - 2009-08-24 2:23 PM so what does one think of this treadmill

It looks like a fancy moving sidewalk with an ipod holder

Seriously though, Iwould have someone explain the warranty.  It says lifetime frame and motor and then 1 year labor and 3 years parts...  That confused me...  Have you googled it looking for reviews?

I am just looking at one on  kijiji up here.
And Suzie also a Precor 9.35!! might be a  little pricey though.
2009-08-24 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2366861

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2009-08-24 12:28 PM

Congrats on the PB brother!  That's awesome!   Way to push through!!! Oh man is it ever mental.  I think all shapes and sizes face these mental hurdles... from Suzy to Reuben!  The only way I've found to bust out of it is trying to stay positive and keep at it.   

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-08-24 4:26 PM
2009-08-24 2:57 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
another way to bust out is to moonwalk.....

(Moonwalk.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Moonwalk.jpg (88KB - 20 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383