BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-03-20 3:20 AM
in reply to: #3404895

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL
norcal_SAHD - 2011-03-19 5:58 PM

sigh...  my tooth infected again last night, I'm so swollen up i look like a squirrel with a cheek full of food... I had to go to Urgent Care this morning and am back on antibiotics and Vicodin.  I am exhausted, haven't really slept for about 2 nights now. 

On a personal brighter note, yesterday my wife got an official job offer with a new company!!  She got a layoff notice a few months ago, we've both been looking for work for a while now.  So, my days as a Stay at Home Dad will continue for a while longer. Smile

Hope your tooth gets better soon!  

2011-03-20 3:24 AM
in reply to: #3404320

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
bendart - 2011-03-18 8:59 PM

I've been dealing with some sort of injury in my left foot for the past month or so and it's frustrating theout of me.  It was feeling pretty good last weekend and I was able to run (jog) 5 miles on Sunday.  It felt alright while I was running but afterwards (and for the next three days), pain.  I've been all over the internet trying to diagnose and the best I can come up with is peroneal tendonitis.  I have an appointment with a podiatrist next Wednesday.  We'll see what the experts have to say.  My guess is that he'll tell me to rest it for longer than I have been before running again.  I've been to the doctor twice in ten years so this is a pretty big step for me.

Hope your pain gets handled soon.  I had a nagging pain that I kept running through last year.  It ended up being a stress fracture, and I was out of running for months.  I would def. not doing anything on it until the dr.  My dr told me that if I had stopped running when it was clear that the pain was not going away, that I would have only been down for a month and not 6.

Hopefully it is not that major and is something that can be easily fixed.  Let us know how it goes.

2011-03-20 3:25 AM
in reply to: #3404871

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Hollz - 2011-03-19 5:20 PM

he GOOOOO Dix!! Hope your race is awesome-I see your logs and you're a Powerhouse-I know you'll kill it!! 

Holly

Thanks!  I feel really strong and I am really hoping that I can meet my if the stars align goal.  

2011-03-20 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3404895

User image

Extreme Veteran
norcal_SAHD - 2011-03-19 4:58 PM

sigh...  my tooth infected again last night, I'm so swollen up i look like a squirrel with a cheek full of food...

I feel your pain regarding the tooth - I don;t think there is anything worse in the world.

My teeth have hurt me for the past few years. It has not been fun ...
http://www.powermultisport.com/2011/01/poker-nights-and-poker-tells...

Good luck on all of the races!

2011-03-20 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3405215

User image

Sunderland
Dixbry - 2011-03-20 4:24 AM

Hope your pain gets handled soon.  I had a nagging pain that I kept running through last year.  It ended up being a stress fracture, and I was out of running for months.  I would def. not doing anything on it until the dr.  My dr told me that if I had stopped running when it was clear that the pain was not going away, that I would have only been down for a month and not 6.

Hopefully it is not that major and is something that can be easily fixed.  Let us know how it goes.

I'll definitely let you guys know how it goes.  Hopefully it's nothing too serious.  How much did the stress fracture hurt?  In my head, it sounds pretty painful.

I took my new bike out for a ride today.  It was everything I hoped it would be an more.  I did a little over 20 miles in an hour and 20 minutes.  The weather was gorgeous and the bike felt great.  This is my first road bike and I'm absolutely loving it.  Zero foot pain while riding, btw.  Ah, spring is in the air. 

2011-03-21 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3406059

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA

Bendart - wow!  Nice ride.  Get that foot issue figured out.  Definitely worth taking some time now, to heal up faster on the back end.

Dixbry - tell us about the race!  I'm sure you crushed it.

David - I hope the tooth gets better.  I don't know what it is, but tooth pain is the worst, IMO.  Good to hear your running is going well!

I'm in Oklahoma City now for a few days.  About one week left of travel/shooting.  The hours have been crazy and my training has been pretty terrible.  It's so hard to drag myself to the gym after a 15+ hour day and running on only a few hours sleep.  Reading all of your reports is helping though.  In fact, I'm heading out to run quickly!

Keep it up everyone!

Drew 

2011-03-21 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3257746

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

my race report is up.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=245484&posts=1&start=1

Had a ton of fun.  I am very Happy with my time.  Just missed the 1:45 time ultimate goal, but it gives me something to shoot for next time.  That and I need to figure out why the cramp.

Edited by Dixbry 2011-03-21 10:40 AM
2011-03-21 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3406059

Just an update.

I was able to establish a new pesonal record for running outside on Saturday. I ran 8 miles straight with about 15-25 mph winds. It was brutal, but still kept under my 10min/mile pace. This was awesome, and can't wait to move that number up this weekend.

This weekend my niece was in the hospital and needed emergency surgery, so that was the only workout i got in. She is okay now.

Today, I plan on running again 4-5 miles depending on weather and feel.

I am looking for some more advice. I have 2 half-marys on May 1 and may 22. after that I will have 3 solid months to get ready for a HIM on Aug 21st. Seperately, on may 22, I will be able to do 2 of the legs, the running and the biking. so my hyper focus will be on swimming for the 3 months, with a seperate goal of increasing my distance endurance up for the biking and the running. On June 1, I will be joining a master's swim class to help with my swimming. If my goal is to just finish the HIM, is this a doable goal? If it is questionable, what would you suggest to make it more doable? (longer workouts.? 2-a-days? supplements? several bricks per week? etc.?)

2011-03-21 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3406702

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Read your report Dix-Nice job!! I am sure you would have totally pr'ed it if you hadn't had a cramp for the last 5 miles. You had an awesome race even with that! Wow!
2011-03-21 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3407162

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Hollz - 2011-03-21 2:47 PM Read your report Dix-Nice job!! I am sure you would have totally pr'ed it if you hadn't had a cramp for the last 5 miles. You had an awesome race even with that! Wow!

Thanks.  Even with the cramp, I got an awesome PR.  Next time I will break the 1:45:00.  Gives me something to keep working at :-)

2011-03-21 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA

Nice time Dixbry.  Sorry to hear about the cramp - you'd have totally Shamrocked the course without that coming up.

I was stunned by the wind at the start.  I thought it was going to make for a very challenging day.

I spent the race pacing a friend who was running his first 1/2.  A few days prior, he was debating about skipping the event as he only trained up to 9 miles.  We started with the 2:30 pace group, but he couldn't maintain.  We switched to a run 1.5 mile/walk 2:30 minute cycle, which got us to the light house...  At mile 10, he was complaining of leg cramps.  We pulled to the side for him to stretch out a bit.

With less than 5k to go,  he insisted I go on ahead as he considered walking the rest of the way in.  I told him to run/walk 30 second intervals to the finish, which he did.

As I was quite fresh at the 10 mile mark (HR never went over 140), I ran as hard as I could to the finish, and waited for my buddy to cross the line, which he did about 15 minutes behind me. 

It was my slowest 1/2 time ever - but I had a good time encouraging all of the 2:45 groupers I was around.  It's a totally different perspective.  The other benefit is my knees/IT bands never flaired up, so I should be good to go for the first Sprint of the season in 2 weeks.

2011-03-22 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sounds like you really helped your friend out - good on ya!
2011-03-22 6:17 PM

New user

Carmel

Hello All,

I have been absent for quite sometime and been down on myself for the last 6 weeks.  I stayed away since it was making me worse reading what everyone was upto while I was home resting a knee issue and hoping it would be nothing.  I am having knee surgery on Friday - likely torn meniscus.  I am wondering has anyone gone thru this before and length of recovery before becoming fully active again?  I am saying likely torn because I can't have a MRI (I have a defibrillator) so they have to scope me to see what is wrong and then correct it. 

Thanks for any information and any good exercises to keep me going

Mike

2011-03-23 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3409340

User image

Extreme Veteran
mikered111 - 2011-03-22 6:17 PM

Hello All,

I have been absent for quite sometime and been down on myself for the last 6 weeks.  I stayed away since it was making me worse reading what everyone was upto while I was home resting a knee issue and hoping it would be nothing.  I am having knee surgery on Friday - likely torn meniscus.  I am wondering has anyone gone thru this before and length of recovery before becoming fully active again?  I am saying likely torn because I can't have a MRI (I have a defibrillator) so they have to scope me to see what is wrong and then correct it. 

Mike

Sorry to hear that Mike. I don't have any experience wth anything torn. But I can relate to feeling down and out. I am just now recovering from a bike accident - it derailed me for the past month+. Not the same level as your troubles but ...

Try to keep you chin up - now might be a good time to work on the swim and the weight training (upper body) and then after the knee is all better hit the pavement.

Good luck my friend.
2011-03-24 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3411230

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

Sorry to hear about everyone's injuries! Definitely not fun, and hope everyone recovers quickly.

Mike- good luck with your sugery, it will be over soon and you'll be back on your feet.

Micro- glad to hear you're recovery is going well.

Dix - great run!

Not much new going on here. Still doing the reverse periodization for running 1x/wk along with my regular runs, changed my outdoor solo ride for an indoor tempo ride on the trainer, added a HIIT day on the trainer too. Trying to ramp up the swimming again after sacking off the past couple of months.

Started teaching the wife how to swim, which has been a lot of fun! She's doing really well since she already knew how to swim to a certain degree. Also went to an OWS clinic this past weekend which is always fun.

First tri of the season is this weekend. It's just a local race in a pool, but it's a good way to start the season. I'm debating a 'splash and dash' the following weekend (2K swim w/ 4 mile run). In 3 weeks I'll be racing in my first Oly with the same venue as the splash and dash. That would be 3 races in 3 weekends, but the middle race is mostly for the OWS practice.

Any OWS tips? I'm about a 1:30/100M swimmer in the pool but in open water, my form breaks down and I start moving left or right, causing me to sight too much. The water usually isn't clear enough for my to see my hand in front of my face, so following feet gets to be tough. My plan is to take it nice and easy on the swim and just concentrate on form instead of speed. Pretty much just do my own race. Thoughts?

2011-03-25 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3412299

User image

Extreme Veteran
MonkeyClaw - 2011-03-24 10:54 AM

water, my form breaks down and I start moving left or right, causing me to sight too much. The water usually isn't clear enough for my to see my hand in front of my face, so following feet gets to be tough. My plan is to take it nice and easy on the swim and just concentrate on form instead of speed. Pretty much just do my own race. Thoughts?

Same type of conditions here in MS. Since I do not breath on both sides (I breath on my right) I will almost always line up a little to the left. I then just try to sight off of strong swimmers. If I can grab some feet all the better. I count my strokes and then try to sight every 7 - 8 strokes and manage the corrections the best that I can.

2011-03-25 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3414025

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA

Mike - good luck with the surgery.  I don't have experience with that type of thing, but my roommate had knee surgery in college.  It was a long road back, but he got back to top form by the following season.  Keep your thoughts positive, and try to focus on what you can control, not what you can't.  

Monkeyclaw - good luck with the race.  If you have issues swimming in a straight line, you may want to practice OWS more often, or even take some time swimming with your eyes closed in the pool.  Learn to get a feel for what you are doing when you get off line.  Enjoy the race, and only push as hard as you are comfortable with.

2011-03-25 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3414237

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc

Sorry for being MIA lately.  Been a couple weeks of good and bad.  Found out that we are finally getting to move into our new house...about 20 miles closer to town. Then about 2 hours later, I found out, and I apologize for getting political, but that the Tea Party idiots have accomplished getting me and about 150 other federal gov't contractors laid off in a couple weeks.  So unless the new budget funds our program I'm out of work in 2 weeks. But I have been keeping up with training none the less. 

I finally decided to up my bike mileage against what my program called for, I was tired of going from 25 to 25.5, to 26 week to week, when I knew I could do a lot more. So I mapped out a 40 miler and killed it. It was actually one of the easiest rides I've had to date.  I tried to avoid some of the massive climbs I've done around here on the shorter rides, so maybe that's prepared me for the longer distance.  Which is pretty encouraging since the Ironman in November is completely flat.  Maybe I won't need to get in too many 90+ mile rides if I'm doing big hills???  Hoping anyway.

But this Sunday is FINALLY my first race of the year, and the weather looks awful.  They're calling for low 40's and rain.  Not sure if I want it to be cancelled or not.  I'm excited for the race, but at the same time, jumping on a bike soaking wet in that kind of weather seems like begging to get sick.  As for tips, is it worth throwing on a long sleeve shirt to keep warmer? Not sure if that'll slow me down or if it's worth it or what? I haven't had a cold enough race in the past that it was necessary.  Any thoughts on that?

2011-03-25 9:51 PM

User image

Sunderland

Hi Guys - I saw a podiatrist Wednesday to get my foot checked out.  The prognosis is pretty much what I expected: peroneal tendon strain.  They took a few x-rays to confirm that nothing was broken, gave me a cortisone shot (behind my fifth metatarsal), some stretches to do, told me not to run on it, and made me an appointment to come in again next week for a check up.  At this point I don't have an ETA for my return to running so we'll have to see how it goes.

BUT - I can still bike.  It's supposed to be a bit chilly this weekend but I'm hoping to get out for at least a little bit on Saturday and Sunday.  I picked up some knee warmers and a burly long sleeve jersey to wear until it really warms up.

Question - What do you rock during triathlons/ duathlons?  I think we had this conversation before but I thought I'd bring it up again.  Do you have an outfit that you absolutely love?  I was checking out one and two piece tri-suits and there are so many options.  The guys on Slowtwitch seem to love DeSoto gear but it's really expensive.  There are a ton of other brands out there and I was wondering if you guys could share your opinions.  I don't mind investing in a solid tri suit but I don't want to make a ~$100+ mistake. 

2011-03-26 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3407501

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
mandsberry - 2011-03-21 3:18 PM

It was my slowest 1/2 time ever - but I had a good time encouraging all of the 2:45 groupers I was around.  It's a totally different perspective.  The other benefit is my knees/IT bands never flaired up, so I should be good to go for the first Sprint of the season in 2 weeks.

Way to help out a friend! Good luck with your first sprint coming up next weekend! you'll rock it for sure.

2011-03-26 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3409340

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
mikered111 - 2011-03-22 5:17 PM

Hello All,

Mike

Mike, My husband had a scope to repair a torn meniscus. He felt so great days after that he did FAR TOO MUCH TOO SOON and really messed up his recovery. They leave a painkiller in that knee that wears off very slowly so you will have a feeling of being better than you are in that first week post surgery. Just don't go climbing ladders and doing stairs (yes, he really did!!) Make sure and listen to your doc and take it easy for the first couple weeks after. DO go and see a PT and do exactly what they tell you to do and in a very short time, you will be back in the groove. Good luck!

Holly

2011-03-26 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3414394

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
RookieIM - 2011-03-25 12:43 PM

But this Sunday is FINALLY my first race of the year, and the weather looks awful.  They're calling for low 40's and rain.  Not sure if I want it to be cancelled or not.  I'm excited for the race, but at the same time, jumping on a bike soaking wet in that kind of weather seems like begging to get sick.  As for tips, is it worth throwing on a long sleeve shirt to keep warmer? Not sure if that'll slow me down or if it's worth it or what? I haven't had a cold enough race in the past that it was necessary.  Any thoughts on that?

Good luck with your race tomorrow if it doesn't get cancelled. I raced in one very cold race 2 years ago and I did wear a long sleeve on the bike. I got out of the water so cold that it really helped. By the run, I was all warmed up and shed it at transition. If you have a chance to pick up a warm cap for the swimming (if its OWS and COLD Water) that would help out a lot! Have fun!!

2011-03-28 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3415693

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc

Thanks, Hollz!  The race was not canceled.  All that happened was they had to change the run course cause of the rain...I wrote up my report about it. I've never written one before, so hopefully it's interesting. It's probably way too long, but oh well. I tried to make it fun!

I probably spent more time writing it than I did during the actual race.

http://journeyfrommantoironman.blogspot.com/2011/03/cool-breeze-triathlon-race-report-long.html

2011-03-28 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3415054

User image

Extreme Veteran
bendart - 2011-03-25 9:51 PM

>

Question - What do you rock during triathlons/ duathlons?  I think we had this conversation before but I thought I'd bring it up again.  Do you have an outfit that you absolutely love?  I was checking out one and two piece tri-suits and there are so many options.  The guys on Slowtwitch seem to love DeSoto gear but it's really expensive.  There are a ton of other brands out there and I was wondering if you guys could share your opinions.  I don't mind investing in a solid tri suit but I don't want to make a ~$100+ mistake. 

I wear a one-piece unitard by Desoto and Tyr. They both work well. I bought the Desoto one on clearance a few years ago for $70ish. A friend gave the Tyr to me because it was too small for them. I like them both.

Neither of the two that I use is fancy or the latest and greats fabrics but they get the job done - they have a small think chamois, comfortable and I do not have to mess with any clothing in transition.

2011-03-29 6:09 PM

User image

Expert

Hey all, I'm still hanging around...  I ended up getting two root canals last week, I'm finally pain free!!!!  I raced an Xterra tri on Sunday, it was a total blast, but I was in no way ready.  Due to the tooth problems, I'd not been in a pool or on a bike in about a month.  Still did well, right in the middle of the pack.  Now I've pretty much got to do a full teardown/rebuild of my bike.  It's trashed from all the mud! 

I just typed up a race report if you're interested: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=246450&posts=1&start=1

I'm going to take today off, then get back in the pool tomorrow.  Fun stuff!  Sure feels great to be medication free after a month of Advil/Vicodin 24/7...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24