BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2009-02-12 11:43 AM
in reply to: #1957913

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED

hughes411 - 2009-02-11 9:49 PM This is what we tell the track and cross country kids. When you run a distance and it feels fast mentally but is not reflected on the watch you need to be running faster. Ex. If I run three miles and it feels tough then I am working at the right pace. If a month later I run the same three miles and if feels easy but my time is the same then that is the clue for me to start running at a faster pace. We start our kids out with light speed work early on in the season. We increase the intensity and lower the recovery between intervals as the season progresses. Do not try to go all out as you start the season or you will develop injurties from stress and overuse just as you would trying to increase milage to quickly. Another important thing to remember as you incorporate speed work in the importance of tapering before a race.

Thanks Jon. That's a helpful perspective.

2009-02-12 11:45 AM
in reply to: #1958861

User image

Expert
kellc09 - 2009-02-12 12:37 PM
slow turtle - 2009-02-11 8:53 PM

kkcbelle - 2009-02-11 5:47 PM Heidi... just to give you some background on me learning about being able to run faster... I had been running for years, racing everything from the occasional (like once a year) 10K to 2-3 half-marys per year, plus marathons when the urge really hit. My times for all of those distances were relatively the same -- 9-9:30 pace. I didn't even do any speed work to learn I could run faster, I just kept up with this woman who seemed about my speed. And it didn't take her long to recognize that I could go faster, so I opened my mind and tried to. We did do a few speed workouts that summer at the track. But yeah, what Kellie says is so true -- if you want to run longer you need to run longer. I don't know when you're ready to add speed work, although you can work on speed without being overly intense. It might be running faster to the next tree. Or pushing it up a hill. Or sprinting the finish of a run. I don't think you need a huge base to do any of those things... (But I'm not speaking as an expert!) And don't be embarrassed by your times!!!!!! Ever!!! You are miles (literally and figuratively!) ahead of so many people... not that it's a competition, of course! What counts is that you are out there doing it!!!

Great ideas- Thanks. I think once I hit the four mile mark I might play with that a little to try to prep for the  race I entered on 3/7. I sprinted at the end of todays run, and it showed me that I definately could've pushed harder during the main run, because I had a lot to give at the end.

Yes, her suggestions are good.  Fartlek type workouts are good, and a good way to break up your run a couple days a week.   Strides or pickups are good to.   Basically every 4 or 5 minutes pick it up for 30 seconds, focus on your technique and stride, let it rip (ok not crazy VO2 max crazy, but get those legs and heart pumping), and then recover for 30 seconds.   This also can help with fomr a bit.  A lot of times we get very in our head about not running faster than we "should" for sake of injury.  So many people push the long slow steady pace talk in our faces that it can scare people from breaking out of that box.   If you run long slow and steady, you are training yourself to run long slow and steady.  Have to mix it up a bit if you want different results.  Plus, with all the slow and steady, alot of people can lose their natural stride, and that causes other issues.    Strides and pickups kind of help you correct that the whole run, without running the whole run all out.

Thanks Kellie- This is encouraging, as I am definately one of those people who goes slow from fear of injury.

Every one's input has been very encouraging- so thanks! I'm looking forward to tomorrows run!

2009-02-12 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1958759

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
slow turtle - 2009-02-12 11:39 AM
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-02-12 10:22 AM

Heidi - you probably can run further just like I could probably swim further...it is a mental block.  It is great that you are increasing the distance despite your fear.  Maybe practice belly breathing while you run long and slow to see if that helps with your endurance.  That is what I am trying with my swimming. 

I signed up for the nutrition plan on BT.  I needed to do something else.  Everything I have tried has been a big failure.  I don't quite know why.  I am usually easy to commit to things... I am planning on pretending that I am in Olympic Village and that I have to eat for my training! Too bad I don't have a chef!!

I am letting my knee heal over the weekend.  I believe it will be better come Sunday!! I am keeping the faith!  I ice it and use Epson salts on it every night. 

So, did the bike fit help at all?

I don't know if the bike fit helped at all...It may have but my knee was irritated from before.  I think I need to let it heal and then try again SLOWLY! I am scared to hurt it now by pushing things.  I am just going to spin on the bike for a week or so. 

2009-02-12 6:39 PM
in reply to: #1958886

User image

Master
I am totally one of those people who had "long and slow" pounded into my brain!!!!!!

My Garmin is helping kick me into a new gear! Today I did a 90 min. run where I was to do 60 min. at z1/z2 and then 30 at z3. I was in z1 for most of my 60 min., happily chugging along! LOL! (It kills me to read here on BT that Z1 is a "recovery" zone. I feel like such a lolly-gagger now!) I did kick it up, though, and then my HR was way up for the hills (into Z4), but I figure it's all good. It was fun to run with more of a "purpose" and I wasn't concerned with pace, just watching my HR. Hard to worry about pace on muddy trails and hills and such anyway, which is where I was.

Heidi you will have fun discovering your new running talents, I have a feeling! I think you can do more than you think you can, but it sounds like you are worried about your previous injury. Does it flare up at all at this point?

Bronwyn I really hope your knee feels better soon. I don't like reaidng that it is still bugging you!
2009-02-12 7:31 PM
in reply to: #1959711

User image

Expert

kkcbelle - 2009-02-12 7:39 PM I am totally one of those people who had "long and slow" pounded into my brain!!!!!! My Garmin is helping kick me into a new gear! Today I did a 90 min. run where I was to do 60 min. at z1/z2 and then 30 at z3. I was in z1 for most of my 60 min., happily chugging along! LOL! (It kills me to read here on BT that Z1 is a "recovery" zone. I feel like such a lolly-gagger now!) I did kick it up, though, and then my HR was way up for the hills (into Z4), but I figure it's all good. It was fun to run with more of a "purpose" and I wasn't concerned with pace, just watching my HR. Hard to worry about pace on muddy trails and hills and such anyway, which is where I was. Heidi you will have fun discovering your new running talents, I have a feeling! I think you can do more than you think you can, but it sounds like you are worried about your previous injury. Does it flare up at all at this point? Bronwyn I really hope your knee feels better soon. I don't like reaidng that it is still bugging you!

It sounds like a great run! I can't imagine running or biking as fast as a lot of people here. But then most people I know can't imagine doing this training at any pace, so it's all good

My foot does still act up.I see the chiropractor for it, and I got hard plastic orthotics a couple of years ago, and they've made a huge difference. Unfortunately, the tendon ruptured at the point of insertion of a joint, then was misdiagnosed for months. By the time any one figured out what was actually wrong, it was too late to really do anything about it.  All it really takes is one wrong step and I'm out for atleast a few days, or a couple of weeks.

So far I've been pretty lucky since last June . Just minor pains, but nothing to knock me out.

2009-02-12 7:33 PM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

Wow, I'm really sorry everyone!! I haven't been around in I don't know how long. I've been pretty out of it for the past month after losing my job. I'll be back regularly now though. I hope everyone is doing well and keeping up with their training!! My training has kept me goin.

Nate

2009-02-12 7:39 PM
in reply to: #1959796

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
zee744 - 2009-02-12 7:33 PM

Wow, I'm really sorry everyone!! I haven't been around in I don't know how long. I've been pretty out of it for the past month after losing my job. I'll be back regularly now though. I hope everyone is doing well and keeping up with their training!! My training has kept me goin.

Nate

OH man, that stinks, Im sorry about the job!  Could be any one of us in this economy

2009-02-12 7:55 PM
in reply to: #1959711

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

kkcbelle - 2009-02-12 6:39 PM I am totally one of those people who had "long and slow" pounded into my brain!!!!!! My Garmin is helping kick me into a new gear! Today I did a 90 min. run where I was to do 60 min. at z1/z2 and then 30 at z3. I was in z1 for most of my 60 min., happily chugging along! LOL! (It kills me to read here on BT that Z1 is a "recovery" zone. I feel like such a lolly-gagger now!) I did kick it up, though, and then my HR was way up for the hills (into Z4), but I figure it's all good. It was fun to run with more of a "purpose" and I wasn't concerned with pace, just watching my HR. Hard to worry about pace on muddy trails and hills and such anyway, which is where I was. Heidi you will have fun discovering your new running talents, I have a feeling! I think you can do more than you think you can, but it sounds like you are worried about your previous injury. Does it flare up at all at this point? Bronwyn I really hope your knee feels better soon. I don't like reaidng that it is still bugging you!

Yeah in those situations HR can be pretty helpful!  Nice run by the way

2009-02-12 8:05 PM
in reply to: #1959796

User image

Expert
zee744 - 2009-02-12 8:33 PM

Nate

I'm sorry to hear about the job. Do you have something lined up yet?

2009-02-12 8:25 PM
in reply to: #1959849

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
slow turtle - 2009-02-12 9:05 PM
zee744 - 2009-02-12 8:33 PM

Nate

I'm sorry to hear about the job. Do you have something lined up yet?

I wish I had something lined up. I'm currently working temp. until the at least the end of the month. I should be able to find another temp job quickly as my temp agency loves me lol. My gym is hiring a Marketing & Sales coordinator. I have a degree in Business Admin. concentrating in marketing and I'm at the gym about 7-10 hours a week, so I'm waiting to hear back from them.

And the training is going great, thanks for asking!

Edited by zee744 2009-02-12 8:26 PM
2009-02-12 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1959873

User image

Master
zee744 - 2009-02-12 8:25 PM

I wish I had something lined up. I'm currently working temp. until the at least the end of the month. I should be able to find another temp job quickly as my temp agency loves me lol. My gym is hiring a Marketing & Sales coordinator. I have a degree in Business Admin. concentrating in marketing and I'm at the gym about 7-10 hours a week, so I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Your training has been going great. Good for you for keeping that up! It would be cool to get a job at the gym! Talk about killing two birds with one stone!

2009-02-12 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1959953

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
kkcbelle - 2009-02-12 10:08 PM
zee744 - 2009-02-12 8:25 PM I wish I had something lined up. I'm currently working temp. until the at least the end of the month. I should be able to find another temp job quickly as my temp agency loves me lol. My gym is hiring a Marketing & Sales coordinator. I have a degree in Business Admin. concentrating in marketing and I'm at the gym about 7-10 hours a week, so I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Your training has been going great. Good for you for keeping that up! It would be cool to get a job at the gym! Talk about killing two birds with one stone!

Yea tell me about it, I'm pumped. I don't have the experience, but I think I can talk them into it. I might as well get paid for the time I put in!!

2009-02-13 7:26 AM
in reply to: #1960044

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
zee744 - 2009-02-12 11:14 PM
kkcbelle - 2009-02-12 10:08 PM
zee744 - 2009-02-12 8:25 PM I wish I had something lined up. I'm currently working temp. until the at least the end of the month. I should be able to find another temp job quickly as my temp agency loves me lol. My gym is hiring a Marketing & Sales coordinator. I have a degree in Business Admin. concentrating in marketing and I'm at the gym about 7-10 hours a week, so I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Yea tell me about it, I'm pumped. I don't have the experience, but I think I can talk them into it. I might as well get paid for the time I put in!!

I'll be looking forward to hearing if you get the gym job!!

2009-02-13 5:49 PM
in reply to: #1960209

User image

Master
Just browsed through logs and see lots of sickies out there. Take care Roni, Heidi, Bronwyn... and David I hope you get your strength back too! Lots of rest, lots of liquids and GET BETTER!!!
2009-02-14 7:11 AM

User image

Expert

Thanks Kyla- I'm feeling much better now.

Treadmill question:

When I'm on the treadmill I frequently start to lose my balance. I come close to falling off atleast a couple of times in a half hour workout. Forget watching anything on the attached monitor, because then I'm a goner. I think it's a coordination issue. Does any one else have this problem, and know how I can correct it?

2009-02-14 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1961537

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

kkcbelle - 2009-02-13 6:49 PM Just browsed through logs and see lots of sickies out there. Take care Roni, Heidi, Bronwyn... and David I hope you get your strength back too! Lots of rest, lots of liquids and GET BETTER!!!

Thanks!!  Is it just me or are local gym's (local ymca) the most unsanitary places on earth.  I am lucky as I have everything but a pool at home to workout but every once in a while I like to change the view.  The problem is out of the 4 times I went there the last year I was sick 3 times the following week. Either I have no immune system or they have toooo many viruses.  :-)

2009-02-14 1:06 PM
in reply to: #1962078

User image

Master
razorxp - 2009-02-14 11:04 AM

kkcbelle - 2009-02-13 6:49 PM Just browsed through logs and see lots of sickies out there. Take care Roni, Heidi, Bronwyn... and David I hope you get your strength back too! Lots of rest, lots of liquids and GET BETTER!!!

Thanks!!  Is it just me or are local gym's (local ymca) the most unsanitary places on earth.  I am lucky as I have everything but a pool at home to workout but every once in a while I like to change the view.  The problem is out of the 4 times I went there the last year I was sick 3 times the following week. Either I have no immune system or they have toooo many viruses.  :-)

Maybe it's like preschool... you gotta get out there and toughen up that immune system!!

I do try to be a super-good hand-washer when I hit the Y. I do use their Yoga mats and such and I go regularly but tend to be healthy. That said, I'm sure my kids have helped toughen up my germ resistance!

Anyway, get healthy, folks! Races are just around the corner, right??!!
2009-02-14 6:28 PM
in reply to: #1962178

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Hand washing is not an issue for me! my wife always threatens to put me on OCD medice .  lol  your probably right just need to get used to the filth (opps I mean germs) lol
2009-02-15 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hey everyone, I'm back!  Had a great cruise!  I didn't workout as much as I wanted to, but I am going to log 9 hours of physical activity anyway!  I swam, biked, ran, took a spinning class(the second one was cancelled due to only two of us showing up!), took a yoga class also. 

I ate soooo much food, but didn't gain any weight!  Yay!  I think the typical weight gain on a cruise (1lb per day) is from alcohol, lol. 

Kissed a stingray, so I am supposed to have 7 years of good luck!  Met a really cool couple that we had a lot in common with.  They were interested in physical activity also, so we kept one another going.

Kyla, I am with you on the sleeping part.  Talk about being rocked to sleep!  It was great!

Good to be back, I start my HIM plan tomorrow, though it's a rest day, Ha! Ha!.

2009-02-15 11:24 AM
in reply to: #1963038

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Gregkl - 2009-02-15 10:42 AM

Hey everyone, I'm back!  Had a great cruise!  I didn't workout as much as I wanted to, but I am going to log 9 hours of physical activity anyway!  I swam, biked, ran, took a spinning class(the second one was cancelled due to only two of us showing up!), took a yoga class also. 

I ate soooo much food, but didn't gain any weight!  Yay!  I think the typical weight gain on a cruise (1lb per day) is from alcohol, lol. 

Kissed a stingray, so I am supposed to have 7 years of good luck!  Met a really cool couple that we had a lot in common with.  They were interested in physical activity also, so we kept one another going.

Kyla, I am with you on the sleeping part.  Talk about being rocked to sleep!  It was great!

Hey Greg!! sounds like you guys had a great time, welcome back!  

2009-02-15 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1963038

User image

Master
Gregkl - 2009-02-15 10:42 AM

So awesome!! I peeked at your logs before I knew you were back and saw this post and I was cracking up at all of your 5's for sleep, stress, soreness, and fatigue! Glad you had a good trip and no weight gain is awesome. Very jealous!

Happy HIM training! Roni and I are in the thick of it. I think she's on week 4 and I'm about to start week 3. It's been sort-of kicking my butt but I'm finding my stride I think. Lots of workout juggling to fit the schedule.

Glad to have you back! We missed you!

2009-02-16 9:49 AM

User image

Master
On Jorge's plan I'm supposed to do a LT today... but I really, really don't want to. But I feel like that is a wussy cop-out not to want to. I also want/need to bike longer than his workout (which is only 40' -- I'd like to do 1:00 or 1:15) but know I won't want to tack on more to a LT. I also didn't have my speed hooked up the first time I did a LT, so I can't see if I improved. But if I did the LT now and did one again later I could see if I'm improving.

I'm trying simultaneously to talk myself into this and out of it. Not sure if I'm looking for advice or if I just want to vent. I need to decide soon so I can get the workout done no matter what and get on with the day. The more I sit and think the more I think I should do the test but just with a long/easy warm-up.

Ack!! Hope you guys get the day off from work and go do something fun! My hubby has the day off as do the kiddos and we're off to see a movie later.

Happy training!
2009-02-16 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1964283

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

My opinion. which is all it is...do the longer workout focusing on where you should be with your HIM training.  I am not going to finish Jorge's workout at this time.  I will do what my training plan says I should do for my HIM and incorporate Jorge's plan if it fits.  LT test is just a barometer of your improvement from the last test.  Without MPH from last test, you probably won't know much.

Jorge's program has been great discipline for me to keep riding during "pre-season". 

2009-02-16 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1964283

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

kkcbelle - 2009-02-16 9:49 AM On Jorge's plan I'm supposed to do a LT today... but I really, really don't want to. But I feel like that is a wussy cop-out not to want to. I also want/need to bike longer than his workout (which is only 40' -- I'd like to do 1:00 or 1:15) but know I won't want to tack on more to a LT. I also didn't have my speed hooked up the first time I did a LT, so I can't see if I improved. But if I did the LT now and did one again later I could see if I'm improving. I'm trying simultaneously to talk myself into this and out of it. Not sure if I'm looking for advice or if I just want to vent. I need to decide soon so I can get the workout done no matter what and get on with the day. The more I sit and think the more I think I should do the test but just with a long/easy warm-up. Ack!! Hope you guys get the day off from work and go do something fun! My hubby has the day off as do the kiddos and we're off to see a movie later. Happy training!

I would have to agree with Greg if you have no indicator from the last test anyways to know if you are improving or not.   If you want to continue Jorges program though, then you better do the test and monitor from this point.   However, testing is worthless if you arent going to continue testing and structure your plan around your test results.

2009-02-16 1:41 PM
in reply to: #1964494

User image

Master
Gregkl - 2009-02-16 11:29 AM

My opinion. which is all it is...do the longer workout focusing on where you should be with your HIM training.  I am not going to finish Jorge's workout at this time.  I will do what my training plan says I should do for my HIM and incorporate Jorge's plan if it fits.  LT test is just a barometer of your improvement from the last test.  Without MPH from last test, you probably won't know much.

Jorge's program has been great discipline for me to keep riding during "pre-season". 

Jorge's plan is fitting wonderfully into my HIM plan while the weather isn't perfect!! I am doing his workouts for my bike days that are 1:00-1:20, and adding on a set at 75% to draw out the time. In fact, I'm feeling nervous about what I'll do when I'm done with his plan!

I opted out of the LT test and just made up my own long workout for an hour.

Jorge's plan is great because a few days each week I need to be done with my workout before kiddos are up. I will find any excuse not to run in the dark, so I usually do the bike workout at home on those mornings.

Are you doing the silver or beginner HIM plan? And I agree, Jorge's program has been great to keep me disciplined. I logged many workouts that I probably wouldn't have otherwise... or I would have done a lot more runs but what I need are the bikes, so it's kept me honest on that front!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30