BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-02-27 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2697140

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
bfoyle - 2010-02-27 1:35 AM definitely a redundant set...I'll look into how to remove them. Looks like the cable passes straight through to the other levers.

I have a hack saw you can borrow!  ;-)  LOL

2010-02-28 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2694510

User image

Elite

aarondavidson - 2010-02-25 11:52 PM

RunRene - 2010-02-25 8:50 PM Aaron, I have a question regarding the VDOT.

I plug in my latest race 5K 20:02 (using http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm). I generally try to run a long run, tempo and interval.

My easy run (long) should be at 8:40 pace...nice, that is much slower than I am use to.

If I do 800 intervals those would be at 3:00 - 3:10 pace.

Which pace should I run my tempo at?  Do those numbers sound right?

How long are your long runs? One thing about the calculators is that they are geared towards runners who are typically running more per week than we are. I would say looking at your logs your paces are good. I would try to get a 4th run in each week. I would say you could surely do a faster 5k. If you can not fit another 1-2 short runs each week I would keep doing what you are doing.

The other thing I was thinking about overnight was are you really pushing yourself in your speed work? You may find if you back up and slow down on the easy stuff that you can go harder and faster during what should be hard so that everything does not become muddled at medium to medium-hard.

2010-02-28 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2697140

User image

Elite

bfoyle - 2010-02-27 4:35 PM definitely a redundant set...I'll look into how to remove them. Looks like the cable passes straight through to the other levers.

I would ditch them, but make sure they were not primary. Typically when there are two sets of brake levers hooked up, one set does 'real braking' while the other is designed to slow you down more than come to a quick stop.

2010-02-28 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

NH
I'm home after my ski week.  Apparently there was a pretty bad wind storm here and we lost power Thursday night, so we came home last night to see how things were.  I admit true to my addictive personality, my first though was where would I shower after my bike and run on Sunday.  However, power came back on last night so we're good.

My neighborhood looks like a war zone - big oak and pine trees in the road, a few telephone poles down.  I'm actually amazed we have power already looking at the destruction.

Anyway, I'm happy to be back online and not happy to be heading back to work tomorrow.  I loved the wetsuit discussion.  Ray wins.  We always say if momma's not happy, nobody's happy!  I have an Xterra Vortex fullsuit.  The water is too cold around here for me, particularly the ocean where my tri was.  I think it was about 60 for the race - Jennifer might know.  I may look into a sleeveless suit for lake swims.

Rene, as far as running paces - on those VDOT pages Aaron posted it even said the long/slow paces had been modified to be slower.  Previous versions I've seen are about 30 seconds faster at my pace (was 9:00, now it's about 9:30).  I feel pretty comfortable at 9:00, but my HR does creep up over time.  I ran some runs at 9:25 this week and the HR stayed low and steady.  It's a bit of an ego thing for me going so slow, but I'm giving this thing an honest effort to see how my body responds.

2010-02-28 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2697822

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Welcome back Warren,  I've read your post a few times now about the coaching on slowing down your runs.  It takes a newby like me a few times to listen and learn what these coaches are saying.  I've just starting using my HR monitor so it will be interesting to see what that data will tell me about pacing.  I had a reverse tri workout on Friday that I think I strained or cramped up my right calf on the second to last lap of my swim, literally my last few minutes of the workout.  It was probably due to a variety of factors including, dehydration, too fast pacing w/ weak legs, lack of stretching, too hard wall push offs.  I am learning that as we scale our bodies to higher training levels, the pace is an important lever to understand.  Also, I was coming off a focused "swim" training week and I didn't previously take any hydration while I swam and I didn't routinely stretch as much, two things I will be doing more of.  I also didn't listen to my body signals that were early warning signs that i could have likely prevented this, I noticed I was being dehydrated, but didn't focus on correcting it, I knew my legs felt tired in the first 30 minutes but didn't keep an easy pace per the plan.  Anyways, just another heads up for us newbies that it may not be fun going slow...it's so much less fun not going.  I am hopeful that my calf heels fast as I think I may have just a minor strain/cramp.  I was able to do an easy swim today and stayed away from wall push offs as well as some light stretching.  I'm not sure about running or biking and my program was supposed to go into a "run" focused week.  Thinking of taking another day off or replacing a run with another swim.

Anyone who has any advice on healing calf soreness?  I've read some websites about it and I took a day off of training, have put an ice pack on it, took some advil, light stretching, stayed hydrated, put my legs up and it seems to be getting better and felt good that I could complete a long easy swim today.
2010-03-01 6:36 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Warren - sounds like you had a great time, but a difficult re-entry! It's still really windy here with the local ski area losing power and the local radio stations out because the antenna on the top of the mountain was completely demolished by the wind.

Matt - something I have used in the past for muscle issues is Arnica Gel - its a topical gel that you can usually get at your local health food store. It seems to work for me.

Bob - how was the reverse tri?

A lot of races for our group coming up this weekend. Is everyone ready? Tapering? Excited? Nervous?

2010-03-01 8:51 AM

User image

NH
Wow, I didn't realize so many of you have races this weekend.  And Bob is doubling up after a great race last weekend for him.  Breaking 20 for a 5k in a sprint is crazy!

Everyone get healthy, I saw a few have some dings.  Calves can be tough, I have crazy tight calves, especially my left, from a bad ankle injury which has left that ankle less flexible and causes all kinds of problems.  I just make sure to stretch lightly through out the day.  It's not one of those competitive things where more is better - I suggest not making it hurt, just get a good stretch.  Massaging really helps me as well, though I'm lucky in that my oldest son loves to massage my calf so I get a lot freebies.

Can't wait to read the race reports.  Does anyone else like readin those as much as I do?  Aaron, your Timberman one was inspiring.  I know exactly where you crashed - nasty spot.  Are you planning to do that one again?  I'm doing the sprint on Sat., but I may head over Sunday if you're there.

2010-03-01 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Matt, I have trouble with my calves all the time...seems like they are sore/stiff every morning (probably just getting old). I use "the Stick" pretty frequently and it seems to help. I also discovered that, being a heavy sweater (by heavy I mean "drenchingly heavy"), I have to take electrolytes...thermotabs or endurolytes...during long runs (over half hour). You may want to check with your doctor first since the extra sodium may have downsides but it did stop my calf cramping which happened pretty much every run.

Reverse tri was fun and I think it was good to do one to know how but I mainly did it to meet some of the BT'ers who are local here. I'm looking forward to doing regular one next week.

Have a good week everyone!
2010-03-01 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2699758

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!

it's interesting to hear others doing reverse tris. The three tris I've done have all been reverse order. Sometimes, people don't understand this - actually make some interesting comments about safety and such. But, the tris I've done have been December and April - all with weather issues as well.

What do you think of swimming at the end? Were you swimming at the same pace you normally do, or did you find it a little harder than normal?

I plan on a few regular tris this year and am curious as to how I do with the swim first and come out compared to having dead legs at the end.

2010-03-01 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2697798

User image

Expert
WA
aarondavidson - 2010-02-27 6:32 PMThe other thing I was thinking about overnight was are you really pushing yourself in your speed work? You may find if you back up and slow down on the easy stuff that you can go harder and faster during what should be hard so that everything does not become muddled at medium to medium-hard.

My speed work basically entails doing heal repeats and I am pushing it hard.  

That is an interesting perspective.  I will think further about this.  Some of the guys I run with are HAULING on there long runs.

Thanks for the insight.
2010-03-01 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2698637

User image

Expert
WA
mdfahy - 2010-02-28 5:26 AM
Anyone who has any advice on healing calf soreness?  I've read some websites about it and I took a day off of training, have put an ice pack on it, took some advil, light stretching, stayed hydrated, put my legs up and it seems to be getting better and felt good that I could complete a long easy swim today.

I do everything you do ice, advil and foam roller.

When you roll the calf on a foam roller or using a stick, it is actually more painful the next day but is suppose to be good for it.  I rolled my calf yesterday and today and it is very sore.  I am going to ice it and lay off it, hoping I will be OK for the 1/2 this weekend.

2010-03-02 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
My wife is looking to start cycling.  Someone in my cycling club is selling a 1988 Cannondale.  It has Shimano 105 components and no pedals.  He told my wife to come look at it and make an offer.  I have no idea where to start negotiations.  Any ideas?  I don't want to insult him nor do I wanna get taken to the bank.
2010-03-02 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
That's basically my bike. I paid $800 for it way back when. I have upgraded the crank, shifters, etc when I started training for tri's. Bike technology has changed SOOOOO much since then that it really isn't worth much. I would start with $75 (which personally, I would be thrilled with getting for my bike). How many miles are on the frame? How much would it cost you to get it workable? How much would it cost for a new bike?

Arrggghhh! Now I want a new bike! I've got a 1988 Cannondale for cheep. (It's not in the cards for this year, but a girl can dream can't she?)
2010-03-02 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2700942

User image

NH
RunRene - 2010-03-01 6:50 PM

When you roll the calf on a foam roller or using a stick, it is actually more painful the next day but is suppose to be good for it.  I rolled my calf yesterday and today and it is very sore.  I am going to ice it and lay off it, hoping I will be OK for the 1/2 this weekend.

Good luck with the calf for the half.

In general I think we tend to go too fast on the long, slow stuff, and too slow on the hard interval stuff, at least I know that's my tendency.

Are the guys hauling on long runs triathletes or runners?  Recovery is the key, and recovering from a long, hard run can really compromise a week of training all the sports effectively.  Long runs have a purpose, but it's not to increase your top end speed!

I heard someone say we are training to be triathletes, not training to be a runner, a biker, and a swimmer.  It's a subtle difference but one that's worth thinking about.  I'm just starting to wrap my mind around how to do this.

And yeah Jenn, you can dream!  I can't wait to add a tri bike, but it's a ways down the road.

Ray - I have no idea what to offer for that bike, but it sounds like a great starting cycle.  Have you checked ebay or Craigslist or cycling forums for comparable bikes?  Good luck.
2010-03-02 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2699428

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
wbayek - 2010-03-01 9:51 AM Wow, I didn't realize so many of you have races this weekend.  And Bob is doubling up after a great race last weekend for him.  Breaking 20 for a 5k in a sprint is crazy!

Everyone get healthy, I saw a few have some dings.  Calves can be tough, I have crazy tight calves, especially my left, from a bad ankle injury which has left that ankle less flexible and causes all kinds of problems.  I just make sure to stretch lightly through out the day.  It's not one of those competitive things where more is better - I suggest not making it hurt, just get a good stretch.  Massaging really helps me as well, though I'm lucky in that my oldest son loves to massage my calf so I get a lot freebies.

Can't wait to read the race reports.  Does anyone else like readin those as much as I do?  Aaron, your Timberman one was inspiring.  I know exactly where you crashed - nasty spot.  Are you planning to do that one again?  I'm doing the sprint on Sat., but I may head over Sunday if you're there.

I'm hooked on race reports.  I frequently print a bunch of them off and bring them home for some evening reading material.
2010-03-02 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I did a 1 hour trainer ride with my new Adamo Road Saddle this morning.  I guess new saddles take some getting used to, huh?  I had a little discomfort and feel like I need to tweak the angles a little.  Feels like the nose may be a bit too high and I may need to rotate the seat a few degrees, which is what they say to do in the instructions until you get the perfect fit.  For everyone that has a race this weekend... best of luck and be safe!!!

2010-03-02 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2702009

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-03-02 10:52 AM That's basically my bike. I paid $800 for it way back when. I have upgraded the crank, shifters, etc when I started training for tri's. Bike technology has changed SOOOOO much since then that it really isn't worth much. I would start with $75 (which personally, I would be thrilled with getting for my bike). How many miles are on the frame? How much would it cost you to get it workable? How much would it cost for a new bike?

Arrggghhh! Now I want a new bike! I've got a 1988 Cannondale for cheep. (It's not in the cards for this year, but a girl can dream can't she?)

Also agree with the $75. Something she can ride and hang out, and then if she gets serious spend more money.

2010-03-02 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2702268

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-03-02 12:31 PM
RunRene - 2010-03-01 6:50 PM

Good luck with the calf for the half.

In general I think we tend to go too fast on the long, slow stuff, and too slow on the hard interval stuff, at least I know that's my tendency.

Are the guys hauling on long runs triathletes or runners?  Recovery is the key, and recovering from a long, hard run can really compromise a week of training all the sports effectively.  Long runs have a purpose, but it's not to increase your top end speed!

I heard someone say we are training to be triathletes, not training to be a runner, a biker, and a swimmer.  It's a subtle difference but one that's worth thinking about.  I'm just starting to wrap my mind around how to do this.

And yeah Jenn, you can dream!  I can't wait to add a tri bike, but it's a ways down the road.

Ray - I have no idea what to offer for that bike, but it sounds like a great starting cycle.  Have you checked ebay or Craigslist or cycling forums for comparable bikes?  Good luck.

Long runs are more for endurance and efficiency not speed. Speed comes from shorter efforts. I would slow down the long runs some and see how the rest of your training adapts. Easy should be easy, hard should be hard.

2010-03-02 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2703052

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-03-02 4:26 PM I did a 1 hour trainer ride with my new Adamo Road Saddle this morning.  I guess new saddles take some getting used to, huh?  I had a little discomfort and feel like I need to tweak the angles a little.  Feels like the nose may be a bit too high and I may need to rotate the seat a few degrees, which is what they say to do in the instructions until you get the perfect fit.  For everyone that has a race this weekend... best of luck and be safe!!!

Mine was fine right out of the bat. Other people take a while to get used to the saddle, some people never adjust. Use the return policy if need be.

2010-03-02 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2700924

User image

Elite

RunRene - 2010-03-01 6:40 PM
aarondavidson - 2010-02-27 6:32 PMThe other thing I was thinking about overnight was are you really pushing yourself in your speed work? You may find if you back up and slow down on the easy stuff that you can go harder and faster during what should be hard so that everything does not become muddled at medium to medium-hard.

My speed work basically entails doing heal repeats and I am pushing it hard.  

That is an interesting perspective.  I will think further about this.  Some of the guys I run with are HAULING on there long runs.

Thanks for the insight.

Hill work should not be the same as speed work. Really are different efforts. Hills when you start to get fatigued tend to destroy calves. Instead of picking you foot up and putting it in front of you, you instead push off the ground starting with your toes. Sort of hard to describe.

2010-03-02 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2699758

User image

Elite

bfoyle - 2010-03-01 11:48 AM Matt, I have trouble with my calves all the time...seems like they are sore/stiff every morning (probably just getting old). I use "the Stick" pretty frequently and it seems to help. I also discovered that, being a heavy sweater (by heavy I mean "drenchingly heavy"), I have to take electrolytes...thermotabs or endurolytes...during long runs (over half hour). You may want to check with your doctor first since the extra sodium may have downsides but it did stop my calf cramping which happened pretty much every run.

Reverse tri was fun and I think it was good to do one to know how but I mainly did it to meet some of the BT'ers who are local here. I'm looking forward to doing regular one next week.

Have a good week everyone!

One thought on sodium. The more you take in on a regular basis (in life more so than workouts), the more you 'need' during hard workouts. Your body adapts to sodium and requires more after time.  I am also a heavy sweater.

I loathe swimming after running or cycling. Legs are always so heavy.

2010-03-02 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2698637

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2010-02-28 8:26 PM Welcome back Warren,  I've read your post a few times now about the coaching on slowing down your runs.  It takes a newby like me a few times to listen and learn what these coaches are saying.  I've just starting using my HR monitor so it will be interesting to see what that data will tell me about pacing.  I had a reverse tri workout on Friday that I think I strained or cramped up my right calf on the second to last lap of my swim, literally my last few minutes of the workout.  It was probably due to a variety of factors including, dehydration, too fast pacing w/ weak legs, lack of stretching, too hard wall push offs.  I am learning that as we scale our bodies to higher training levels, the pace is an important lever to understand.  Also, I was coming off a focused "swim" training week and I didn't previously take any hydration while I swam and I didn't routinely stretch as much, two things I will be doing more of.  I also didn't listen to my body signals that were early warning signs that i could have likely prevented this, I noticed I was being dehydrated, but didn't focus on correcting it, I knew my legs felt tired in the first 30 minutes but didn't keep an easy pace per the plan.  Anyways, just another heads up for us newbies that it may not be fun going slow...it's so much less fun not going.  I am hopeful that my calf heels fast as I think I may have just a minor strain/cramp.  I was able to do an easy swim today and stayed away from wall push offs as well as some light stretching.  I'm not sure about running or biking and my program was supposed to go into a "run" focused week.  Thinking of taking another day off or replacing a run with another swim.

Consistent stretching helps. Stretch whenever you can during the day.

2010-03-03 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2703534

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2010-03-02 8:56 PM

Consistent stretching helps. Stretch whenever you can during the day.

x2 on stretching throughout the day.  One thing I've been doing is a simple stretch that my trainer from high school gave me.  I spell out the alphabet with my toes in cursive, small and then caps.  It does hit the calf from all angles and you can do it while sitting in a meeting.  Old school.  VERY old school!
2010-03-03 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2704239

User image

Veteran
Richmond
That's great, kill meeting boredom with the alphabet stretch, I love it!

I ran in zone 2 yesterday and learned what RPE 3 really feels like!  Question, what if my average HR was zone 2, but I crept into zone 3 (at same pace) for some of the time, actually a third of the time, but like 4 beats into zone 3?  Is going by HR avg. ok or do you lower pace throughout workout to keep zone 2?

Edited by mdfahy 2010-03-03 1:30 PM
2010-03-03 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
I have that same problem, Matt. I just figure if I'm close and not moving away from the zone, I'll consider it top of zone due to inaccuracy of my LT test ;-)

on another note, not related to zones ...interesting article http://www.active.com/running/Articles/4-Fast-Tweaks-to-Run-Like-the-Elites.htm
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76