BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-04-05 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2768567

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
-Keep the transition area simple. Take up as little space as you can.  Get there early.  
-Wear a tri top and bottoms under the wet suit.  Rip off the wet suit, add socks if you haven't trained with out them and head out.  I once saw a guy try to change complete from wet suit, nude to bike/running clothes under a towel with kids participating.  If that happened on the street, he would have been arrested. 
-The race belt if a huge help - no safety pins needed.  Number on the back for the bike, then just move it to the front for the run.
-Make sure your bike is in an easy gear before you put it on the rack.  Put your helmet on the aero bars with the sun glasses and whatever else you need, like a garmin if you have.   
-There are videos on BT and on youtube about transitioning.  HUGE HELP!
- Practice the transition at home during training.  You will be glad you did. 

2010-04-05 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
I'll third the race belt.  It's a cheap investment and makes transitions a lot easier.

Just a random tip: I no longer place my sunglasses in my helmet and rest the helmet on the handle/aero bars.  After coming to T1 to find my helmet knocked off the bike and my sunglasses crushed.  I now put the helmet on the ground and glasses underneath.
2010-04-05 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2768668

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Yeah, that would suck.  I put my bike on the far end of the bar.  I have more room and no one is running by. 
2010-04-05 11:10 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good advice guys!  If you are following a training plan (which you should be) there will be some brick workouts.  (Swim/bike or bike/run).  Great time to practice transitions, but really any practice is good.  Even if you aren't planning to run after the bike, do a transition practice anyways. 

Just like swimming, you won't win a race in transition, but you can certainly lose one here. 

2010-04-05 4:16 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

It appears that BT is getting ready to start the April - June mentor groups.  Eventually we will get moved into the archive thread.  What this means to us is completely up to you.  The group I mentored last year stayed active through the entire tri season and into the fall (we all still inspire and PM each other regularly now). 

I'll keep posting here as long as you want to keep it active.  My thoughts are that we are only beginning the season and we should keep supporting each other through till fall. 

Edited by kenj 2010-04-05 4:16 PM
2010-04-06 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2769709

I have a question for any of you swim experts...Call me crazy, but is there something to my assessment that swimming in deep water is easier than shallow water?  It isn't too often that I can get into the deep end (17') because the college swim team is usually practicing when I'm there so I resort to the shallow end (4-5').  On the rare occasion I do get a chance to swim in the deep end, it seems as if it take less effort to put in the same distances as in shallow water; almost as if there is more bouyancy.  Is this even possible?  Is there anything to this or am I just off my rocker??Laughing 

2010-04-06 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2772714

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

brm75 - 2010-04-06 10:03 PM I have a question for any of you swim experts...Call me crazy, but is there something to my assessment that swimming in deep water is easier than shallow water?  It isn't too often that I can get into the deep end (17') because the college swim team is usually practicing when I'm there so I resort to the shallow end (4-5').  On the rare occasion I do get a chance to swim in the deep end, it seems as if it take less effort to put in the same distances as in shallow water; almost as if there is more bouyancy.  Is this even possible?  Is there anything to this or am I just off my rocker??Laughing 

The only thing I can think of Brenda is that there may be some sub conscience fear of kicking the bottom?  But, I may be completely out to lunch!

2010-04-08 6:53 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

How is the training going this week folks?  I am travelling this week, but fortunately to an area I am very familiar with so the bike and swim will suffer some but the run will be good!

2010-04-08 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Brenda, I'm thinking it's in your mind.  The specific gravity of water and your body are the same no matter the depth so your buoyancy would be the same, yes?  Maybe your breathing is more relaxed in deep water for some reason.  The easy breathing is what makes us more buoyant.  Google your question.  You will find you are not alone in your sensation.  I actually am with you.  I much prefer swimming over deep water and in open water than in shallow lanes at a pool.   Unsure why. 

Training is good this week.  2X swimming, 5X bike, with four hard interval sessions, but only two runs.  Bike coach wanted me to take the Monday 5K off to rest for one of the interval sessions on Tuesday.  As a result, I'll get 14 miles this week. 

Looking forward to the week after next.  I'm off so I plan to play with the bikes...put a compact crank and a cassette with a broader range on the TT bike and see how I like them. 

Have a great weekend, y'all.  Glad you are all here and posting.
2010-04-08 7:53 AM

User image

brm75 is MIKE, not Brenda. I can't swim, regardless of the depth of water I'm in, but thanks for answering the question, Ken and Scott. Did you get those answers, Mike?

Tax season is ending in one week and then I'm FREE!! No time for brick workouts now, just doing what I can. Next week I get to ratchet up the training. As a tax season reward, I ordered the Rocket Science Rocket transition bag yesterday. It's a totally unnecessary backpack since I have other bags that have worked fine, but once in a while a girl's gotta buy herself something special.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

2010-04-08 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2776358

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

bswcpa - 2010-04-08 8:53 AM brm75 is MIKE, not Brenda. I can't swim, regardless of the depth of water I'm in, but thanks for answering the question, Ken and Scott. Did you get those answers, Mike? Tax season is ending in one week and then I'm FREE!! No time for brick workouts now, just doing what I can. Next week I get to ratchet up the training. As a tax season reward, I ordered the Rocket Science Rocket transition bag yesterday. It's a totally unnecessary backpack since I have other bags that have worked fine, but once in a while a girl's gotta buy herself something special. Have a great Thursday everyone!

That is my fault, I'm sorry!  I do know who you and Mike are, don't know how I messed that up!  Glad for you getting your time back once tax season is over and you deserve the reward! 

Edited by kenj 2010-04-08 9:09 AM

2010-04-08 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Sorry Mike!
2010-04-09 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2776752

No problem...

Thanks for the input.
2010-04-09 8:11 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

A full day at work, then flying home over night so I am guessing tomorrow may wind up a rest day, although I would like to find time to re-aquaint myself with my bike if I can just get a sleep on the plane! 

How is everyones training going this week?  Any big plans for the weekend?

2010-04-09 7:08 PM

User image

New user
Hey all..been a while since I was able to post.  Been out of town here for a while with business stuff.

Glad to hear everything is going great and everyone is starting to enjoy the spring.  Keep up the good work! 
2010-04-10 4:17 AM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Hi all, back after my week off. Had a lovely week with the kids and the weather was great for this time of year. Got some small runs in, mostly just running the dog and having the kids tag along on their bikes - nice.

Good to see the comments so far. I reckon the shallow/deep water swim question is mental - i find i glide easier when coming into the shallow end! Go figure! ;-) Perhaps it's because we're on the other side of the world here - you know, like our water rotates the other way when going down the plughole! Laughing Actually i'm just kidding - i don't know if it does or not!

Back to a proper schedule (and work) next week. Time to start ramping up the runs... but boy it's feeling cold in the mornings now!

Lewis.

2010-04-10 4:43 AM
in reply to: #2781349

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

selonimes - 2010-04-09 8:08 PM Hey all..been a while since I was able to post.  Been out of town here for a while with business stuff.

Glad to hear everything is going great and everyone is starting to enjoy the spring.  Keep up the good work! 

Good to here from you Dan, how is the C25K going?

2010-04-10 4:44 AM
in reply to: #2781803

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

lbishop - 2010-04-10 5:17 AM Hi all, back after my week off. Had a lovely week with the kids and the weather was great for this time of year. Got some small runs in, mostly just running the dog and having the kids tag along on their bikes - nice.

Good to see the comments so far. I reckon the shallow/deep water swim question is mental - i find i glide easier when coming into the shallow end! Go figure! ;-) Perhaps it's because we're on the other side of the world here - you know, like our water rotates the other way when going down the plughole! Laughing Actually i'm just kidding - i don't know if it does or not!

Back to a proper schedule (and work) next week. Time to start ramping up the runs... but boy it's feeling cold in the mornings now!

Lewis.

Glad you had a good vacation Lewis and the weather was good!!!

2010-04-11 11:29 PM

No backin out now, signed up and paid for my first timed Tri event. Its a Sprint Tri with a pool swim, this coming Sunday,,,,
Any more advice?????
2010-04-12 4:01 AM
in reply to: #2784364

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

DougJ - 2010-04-12 12:29 AM No backin out now, signed up and paid for my first timed Tri event. Its a Sprint Tri with a pool swim, this coming Sunday,,,,
Any more advice?????

Good for you Doug, you have done the work!!  The only advice at this point is to relax and focus on the work that you have done to get where you are!  You will do fine, enjoy the experience!!

2010-04-12 9:19 AM

More 1st time questions????

This is only a Sprint, so how realistic would it be to wear a tri suit during each part to reduce transition time. Or would it be better to swim in the jammers then change into a suit?
Thought about taking my tri suit to the pool today to get a feel for it while swimming.

Edited by DougJ 2010-04-12 9:19 AM

2010-04-12 1:16 PM

Did my own Xtra Sprint Tri today;
Ran 3.75 miles @ 31.42 to the pool,
T1 1.47
Swam 500yds @ 9.19
T2 4.04 (had a short visit conversation)
Ran 3.75 miles @ 33.36 back to home
T3 7.02 (had to untangle dog from bush and fix a water bottle)
Bike 11 miles @ 37.34

Wore the Tri suit the whole way. Felt decent, started to get a little irritating in the rear late in the second run.
2010-04-12 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

On a sprint, you save time wearing tri clothes in the wet suit.  Take off the west suit, put on bike shoes, a helmet and sun glasses and you are off on the ride.  Exchange shoes for running shoes and the helmet for a visor and you are off on the run. 
2010-04-12 1:51 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Up to a half and I where the tri suit for the entire race.  Try putting a shirt or jersey on when you are wet and you will understand!   You should also get some body glide to put anywhere you may chafe. 

Personally I don't where socks on the bike, but do for the run.  Not to bad putting socks on in T2, but like the jersey socks over wet feet are a pain.  BUT, you should not try to go sockless for the first time on race day.  Try it during a training day and be carefull of blisters.

Never forget this saying and it applies to apparel as well as nutrition; Nothing new on race day!! 

2010-04-12 5:59 PM
in reply to: #2785915

User image

Welllington, NZ
Doug, well done for signing up! From just doing my first tri i went with tri shorts - they were well worth it! I did however spend time drying off and putting on a shirt and socks for the bike. For the socks i just pre-rolled them to the toes and then they went on easy enough. That said, i did spend a fair amount of time in T1 ;-)

Good luck with it and well done on doing your own version before hand (i only managed bike/run bricks)! Let us know how it goes.

Lewis.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29