BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-01-13 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3256274

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL!
I don't have a trainer, but I have an old exercise bike in the basement, which is more than I had last year . Definitely a mental battle sometimes, but I find if I just crank the tunes and turn on the TV, it's not so bad. I've been getting some training in every day for the past 2 weeks, but Monday is when it will start to get tough. I start a 6 week teaching job (gr. 10 and 11), while keeping me night job going. Lots of early morning/noon/supper workouts in my future

2011-01-13 9:05 PM

Albany, NY
Rode on the drainer/ trainer early this AM for 1 hr 20 minutes while watching 2010 IM World Championchip (Kona) on DVR.  Very motivating.  First time on the new trainer was pretty good.  Started to get a little stir crazy about an hour in as, obviously, I was not moving anywhere, but for a first pass effort I thought it went well..

Ran for 40 minutes in the evening on the treadmill/dreadmill.  First 3 miles went well.  Done in 22 or 23 minutes.  next 2+ miles not as good.  I think my legs gave out abit.  Actually looking forward to swimming early tomorrow in the AM...  I would love to run outside this week-end if the cold lets up just abit.  It's been under 20 degrees most days for the last week here in Albany, not to mention the windchill..
2011-01-13 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3296876

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
newbz - 2011-01-13 9:53 AM
chasingkona - 2011-01-13 8:39 AM Dave I seem to be having some troubles on my trainer this winter so far. I can't figure out what is going on and maybe you can offer some insight. First the main problem for me is that my quads seem to be overloaded every ride whenever I up the tempo, or get into a gear higher then 53/19, and I'm usually around a 85-95 rpm cadance. I didn't do much biking after IMWI this fall, but do not think that a loss in my cycling fitness is the problem. Second I have tooled a bit with my fit and my seatpost has changed some positions but now I have it back into the same position as I had it all summer. Thirdly I switched from my Specialized Avater Gel saddle to the ISM Adamo saddle. I feel this may be the issue at hand since it is such a unique saddle, but can't figure out why a saddle would cause my quads to feel the way that they do. Did an hour ride yesterday and when I did my 3x5 minute inervals my quads started to really feel like they were building up lactic acid. I know trainers are hard, but I have had many similiar and harder rides in winters past and never encoutered this problem. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
Few things might be going on here (or all of them). you may have adjusted the fit a bit when you switched saddles. Have you rode outside on this one at all? maybe back off the trainer resistence a bit, could just be set too high and/or you are in a harder gear than you should slow down a bit, you are trying to ride harder than fitness is allowing mental, you dont want to be riding inside to start with -You might need some rest/better diet (sorry logs are not loading for some reason right now for me, cant check recent training).

Well I am taking everything that everyone is saying about this situation and looking for answers. I have not ridden outside (too cold), my resistance last time i checked is about normal, but as Brent has suggested, I do in fact know that my rear tire is low on pressure, so I will pump it back up to around 95-110 and see if that helps at all. Mike, you make a good point about the fore/aft position and I will look into that. I am going to try and get a fitting in sometime in February but this move to La Crosse temporarily has me saving every penny. I know Adamo saddles are unique and so I am hoping that getting fit (and I am doing my scouting on good fitters in Wisconsin) will correctly align me to the Adamo saddle. I did take a big break from my bike after IMWI and I think that may in large part have something to do with it, especially since I am getting back on the trainer versus just riding outside. 
2011-01-14 7:23 AM
in reply to: #3298103

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-13 5:08 PM For those of us who ride the trainer 6 months out of the year, it's a bit easier, but I know exactly what you guys are talking about.  And I also think it's partly mental.  There's nothing good to look at and you are forced to sit on a bike that doesn't move side to side.  It's good for you though.  My dad tells me it builds character.

Do you guys have access to any group trainer sessions?  My LBS offers Tuesday nights and Saturday early mornings.  I find I am much more motivated to schlep my trainer/bike etc. all the way to the shop for a group workout.  And, I work much harder in a public setting--I definitely am more likely to slack off a gear when left to my own conscience.

2011-01-14 7:26 AM

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

Took yesterday as a recovery day and saw the PT.  It seems I need orthotics, so no running till they're in place.  Apparently, my little ten-minute jog on Monday did a number on me.  (Go figure.)

I'll be skiing this weekend, so I'll have to weigh in on Tuesday rather than Monday.  I hope everyone has a productive weekend.

2011-01-14 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3298948

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
jtrezza - 2011-01-14 8:23 AM

jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-13 5:08 PM For those of us who ride the trainer 6 months out of the year, it's a bit easier, but I know exactly what you guys are talking about.  And I also think it's partly mental.  There's nothing good to look at and you are forced to sit on a bike that doesn't move side to side.  It's good for you though.  My dad tells me it builds character.

Do you guys have access to any group trainer sessions?  My LBS offers Tuesday nights and Saturday early mornings.  I find I am much more motivated to schlep my trainer/bike etc. all the way to the shop for a group workout.  And, I work much harder in a public setting--I definitely am more likely to slack off a gear when left to my own conscience.

I go to a group trainer session once a week.  Several of our local shops offer them -- Cycling Spoken Here, Inside-Out, TrySports and Bicycle Chain that I know of.  This is a good way for me to see some of my riding friends and get a decent workout in without clawing my eyes out. 

All of these sessions are Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Weird.

2011-01-14 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3298948

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Yup, we do have a LBS that does indoor group rides.  The only problem is that I'm most of the time not in the mood to take the bike off the trainer, walk it down two flights of stairs, pack it in the car and drive 20 mins to the shop and then repeat....for a 45 min - 1 hr workout.  If I have longer weekend workouts on the drainer, I will definitely do the group when I can though.

Question:  If all other factors are the same, is it true that a given person will produce more power on a road bike than a tri bike?  Is this due to the geometry??  I'm not really talking aero position, just the actual bike....this may not be enough to go on, but the reason I am asking is because my coach says that she wants me to eventually be riding exclusively on my TT bike.
2011-01-14 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3299124

User image

Champion
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-14 7:43 AM

jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-13 5:08 PM For those of us who ride the trainer 6 months out of the year, it's a bit easier, but I know exactly what you guys are talking about. And I also think it's partly mental. There's nothing good to look at and you are forced to sit on a bike that doesn't move side to side. It's good for you though. My dad tells me it builds character.

Do you guys have access to any group trainer sessions? My LBS offers Tuesday nights and Saturday early mornings. I find I am much more motivated to schlep my trainer/bike etc. all the way to the shop for a group workout. And, I work much harder in a public setting--I definitely am more likely to slack off a gear when left to my own conscience.

Yup, we do have a LBS that does indoor group rides. The only problem is that I'm most of the time not in the mood to take the bike off the trainer, walk it down two flights of stairs, pack it in the car and drive 20 mins to the shop and then repeat....for a 45 min - 1 hr workout. If I have longer weekend workouts on the drainer, I will definitely do the group when I can though.

Question: If all other factors are the same, is it true that a given person will produce more power on a road bike than a tri bike? Is this due to the geometry?? I'm not really talking aero position, just the actual bike....this may not be enough to go on, but the reason I am asking is because my coach says that she wants me to eventually be riding exclusively on my TT bike.

If all factors are the same power will remain the same.
Most loss of power on the tri bike is due simply to the position, you sometimes trade power to aero.
2011-01-14 11:55 AM

User image

Regular
Augusta
Been out of it for the past few days with the crud that's been going around here.  I think it's finally starting to go away though.  Only have a couple of weeks left here...thank god.  Just spoke with my LBS back home, (back in CT where the parental types live), and scheduled a fitting for my TT bike.  And get to pick up my Fisher 29'r MTB...

Quick question for the group...

Would going out and doing a once weekly or every other week MTB ride hurt my performance on the TT bike?  I would think that the variety would be beneficial.  What does everyone here think...
2011-01-14 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3299709

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Dagwoodz - 2011-01-14 12:55 PM Been out of it for the past few days with the crud that's been going around here.  I think it's finally starting to go away though.  Only have a couple of weeks left here...thank god.  Just spoke with my LBS back home, (back in CT where the parental types live), and scheduled a fitting for my TT bike.  And get to pick up my Fisher 29'r MTB...

Would going out and doing a once weekly or every other week MTB ride hurt my performance on the TT bike?  I would think that the variety would be beneficial.  What does everyone here think...

Congrats on the new bike!  We want pictures!

For me it would be beneficial.  The change in geometry really helped my back when it was acting up.  I'd keep my long ride on the TT bike for sure though.
2011-01-14 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3299124

User image

jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-14 3:43 AM

Yup, we do have a LBS that does indoor group rides.  The only problem is that I'm most of the time not in the mood to take the bike off the trainer, walk it down two flights of stairs, pack it in the car and drive 20 mins to the shop and then repeat....for a 45 min - 1 hr workout.  If I have longer weekend workouts on the drainer, I will definitely do the group when I can though.

x2 about the trainer

2011-01-14 1:13 PM

User image

Dagwoodz - 2011-01-14 6:55 AM

It shouldn't matter so long as you put in the effort.
2011-01-14 1:37 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Okay, need some advice.  It's not a great video, but try to help me out with this. 

This was filmed at the end of a hard workout and the first swim after christmas 2 week break from swimming, but gives a good example of what I think happens to my form after 20 minutes or so of hard swimming.  Why the heck is my right arm crossing over so much?  I honestly thought it was straight out in front of my shoulder the whole time.  How do I correct this if I can't tell I'm doing it??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYyVryW_TpM
2011-01-14 1:40 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Dagwoodz - 2011-01-14 12:55 PM Been out of it for the past few days with the crud that's been going around here.  I think it's finally starting to go away though.  Only have a couple of weeks left here...thank god.  Just spoke with my LBS back home, (back in CT where the parental types live), and scheduled a fitting for my TT bike.  And get to pick up my Fisher 29'r MTB...

Dude, which 29'er did you get?  I want that superfly sooo bad.
2011-01-14 1:44 PM

User image

Fall River, WI
I will be passing on doing the butterfly from now on in swim class.  It has everything from my waist up sore.  If there is a silver lining I guess it would be that I was actually able to swim butterfly.  I've tried in the past with no luck. 
2011-01-14 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3300036

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

inmyelement - 2011-01-14 2:44 PM I will be passing on doing the butterfly from now on in swim class.  It has everything from my waist up sore.  If there is a silver lining I guess it would be that I was actually able to swim butterfly.  I've tried in the past with no luck. 

Yeah, I am waaay more caterpillar than butterfly.  Luckily, my masters swim coach doesn't even bother including butterfly in the slow lane workout.  Fine by me.

2011-01-14 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3300025

User image

Regular
Augusta
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-14 1:40 PM

Dude, which 29'er did you get?  I want that superfly sooo bad.

I picked up a Paragon...hardtail 29'er perfect for some fast singletrack.
2011-01-14 6:21 PM
in reply to: #3300058

User image

jtrezza - 2011-01-14 8:53 AM

inmyelement - 2011-01-14 2:44 PM I will be passing on doing the butterfly from now on in swim class.  It has everything from my waist up sore.  If there is a silver lining I guess it would be that I was actually able to swim butterfly.  I've tried in the past with no luck. 

Yeah, I am waaay more caterpillar than butterfly.  Luckily, my masters swim coach doesn't even bother including butterfly in the slow lane workout.  Fine by me.

The only way I can do butterfly is with fins.  It's awesome core work though.  I'd like to eventually be able to do butterfly without my fins...it just ain't happening anytime soon.
2011-01-14 6:51 PM

User image

Fall River, WI
In full disclosure I was wearing fins.  I don't think it would have happened without them.  I haven't tried it in over 20 years but my problem was always combining the legs with the kick.  I got into a grove for a bit but then lost it and the whole thing fell apart.  Definitely is a good workout.  100 yards and I was spent.  I'm still paying for it in the neck, shoulders and traps.
2011-01-14 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3300018

Lancaster
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-14 2:37 PM Okay, need some advice.  It's not a great video, but try to help me out with this. 

This was filmed at the end of a hard workout and the first swim after christmas 2 week break from swimming, but gives a good example of what I think happens to my form after 20 minutes or so of hard swimming.  Why the heck is my right arm crossing over so much?  I honestly thought it was straight out in front of my shoulder the whole time.  How do I correct this if I can't tell I'm doing it??

Your right arm really doesn't look that bad.  It crosses a little too much when you breath to your left.  If you are like me, you look like you struggle to breath to the left and it crosses over a bit more because your head is coming higher out of the water on that side.  When you are just swimming and breathing to the right, it doesn't look bad.  Your left could actually come in a little more.  If you practice catch up drills, that will help you get a feel for where your arms should be at the front of your stroke.  If you are getting a full stroke, you will feel your shoulders rolling a lot more.
2011-01-14 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3300018

User image

Regular
Augusta
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-14 1:37 PM Okay, need some advice.  It's not a great video, but try to help me out with this. 

I'll take a look at the video when I get done with work, (they've got Youtube blocked).  Sounds like it's a rotation problem, but I'll be able to give a better answer when I see the video.

2011-01-14 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3300604

User image

inmyelement - 2011-01-14 1:51 PM In full disclosure I was wearing fins.  I don't think it would have happened without them.  I haven't tried it in over 20 years but my problem was always combining the legs with the kick.  I got into a grove for a bit but then lost it and the whole thing fell apart.  Definitely is a good workout.  100 yards and I was spent.  I'm still paying for it in the neck, shoulders and traps.

well...100 yards is a different story.  I'm not sure if I can make it 100 yards even with fins.  You're right...at a certian point fatigue kicks in and your timing just goes out the window.
2011-01-14 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3300648

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
ClydeNewb - 2011-01-14 8:35 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-14 2:37 PM Okay, need some advice.  It's not a great video, but try to help me out with this. 

Your right arm really doesn't look that bad.  It crosses a little too much when you breath to your left.  If you are like me, you look like you struggle to breath to the left and it crosses over a bit more because your head is coming higher out of the water on that side.  When you are just swimming and breathing to the right, it doesn't look bad.  Your left could actually come in a little more.  If you practice catch up drills, that will help you get a feel for where your arms should be at the front of your stroke.  If you are getting a full stroke, you will feel your shoulders rolling a lot more.

Crap...looks like I'm struggling!?!?  haha!  I probably was at that point.  I never noticed the head thing.  I do know that when I breathe to the left I end up bending at the waist slightly and I slow just a tiny bit.  Maybe that has to do with the head issue.  I will work on that.  Definitely doing catch-up drills a bunch.   
2011-01-14 8:49 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta
Anyone in the group planning on doing any of the REV3 events this year?  Specifically Knoxville or Quassy?  Would be cool to meet some of the group...
2011-01-14 8:53 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Was on the edge of signing up for Quassy...but $175???  Not my cup of tea this year.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 57