BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-11 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3490842

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
GoGoGo - 2011-05-10 4:40 AM

May Race Round-Up:

Who is racing this month?

What event & when, so we can cheer you on...

R

PS.  Bit slow around hereInnocent

5k this weekend - hoping to PR this one

May 28th - Pelican Fest sprint tri in Fort Collins, CO

2011-05-11 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3493186

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-05-11 9:51 AM
scraver - 2011-05-11 8:47 AM

I just wanted to pop in and say "Hi!"  I am still here.  I have been slacking this week (and last week, tooEmbarassed  I have been using spare time to plant in my yard, play with my son, and trying my hand at making my own wine.  I did do a lot of physical activity on Saturday in my yard.  I do keep busy even if I am not doing a structured run or bike.

Gym today (ab class).  Maybe a swim this evening.  Spin class tomorrow.  I will run on Friday.

I am toying with the idea of doing a 10k on May 30th.  Looks like it is only $8 to pre-register.  How can it be so little?

Hey Sherri,

Good to hear from you.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't have the scary training schedule.  I admire the discipline that the rest of you have, but to be honest, I find it a bit foreign to me.  Maybe if I stick with you all it will be more familiar.

I had a nice run this morning, was able to run for a longer distance - at least 1 1/2 mi. out of 3! 

Progress is sure, but slooooW.  Tongue out

Vivian, the only one you should aim to please is yourself.  Don't worry about comparing yourself to others.  What works for some wont work for others, some people have more time available as well.  If you try to do more than you want or force your training it will become a chore rather than something enjoyable.  Just pick the races you do by the volume of time you are willing and wanting to devote to get you safely to the finish line.

This is all about having fun!
2011-05-11 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I know it isn't what you were trying to show Scott, but that is a good picture!
2011-05-11 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
5k on 5/29.  Ran 19:24 last year in my first year back to running.  Hoping to average 6 min. pace this year - around 18:36.  Fairly flat out and back course.
2011-05-11 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3493536

User image

Regular
Connecticut
kenj - 2011-05-11 11:56 AM

I just wanted to pop in and say "Hi!"  I am still here.  I have been slacking this week (and last week, tooEmbarassed  I have been using spare time to plant in my yard, play with my son, and trying my hand at making my own wine.  I did do a lot of physical activity on Saturday in my yard.  I do keep busy even if I am not doing a structured run or bike.

Gym today (ab class).  Maybe a swim this evening.  Spin class tomorrow.  I will run on Friday.

I am toying with the idea of doing a 10k on May 30th.  Looks like it is only $8 to pre-register.  How can it be so little?

Hey Sherri,

Good to hear from you.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't have the scary training schedule.  I admire the discipline that the rest of you have, but to be honest, I find it a bit foreign to me.  Maybe if I stick with you all it will be more familiar.

I had a nice run this morning, was able to run for a longer distance - at least 1 1/2 mi. out of 3! 

Vivian, the only one you should aim to please is yourself.  Don't worry about comparing yourself to others.  What works for some wont work for others, some people have more time available as well.  If you try to do more than you want or force your training it will become a chore rather than something enjoyable.  Just pick the races you do by the volume of time you are willing and wanting to devote to get you safely to the finish line.

@Vivian:  ~phew~  I thought I was the only one who wasn't working two times a day everyday.  I don't improve as fast as I could, but I am doing it at a pace that is DEFINITELY not going to case me any injuries and I am trying to keep this enjoyable.

@Ken:  thank you!  Your words make me feel a lot better.  I am seeing improvement.  I know at this point, I could finish the sprint tri.  Now I am just working on improving myself so that maybe I won't be last!  For me, it is just going to feel SO GOOD to be able to say "I did it!" and to be able to say "I am a triathlete."  I am certainly not going for any record breaking (other than my own PRs).

I think I might just add in some "fun jogs" in the evenings with my son in his jogger.  Just a short 2 mile run.  Aim to start with once a week.  He loves it and it would help me get some extra miles.

Edited by scraver 2011-05-11 12:51 PM
2011-05-11 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3493544

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

kenj - 2011-05-11 10:58 AM I know it isn't what you were trying to show Scott, but that is a good picture!

I had a request to show my Orbea.  I will post a better pic later. 

2011-05-11 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3493792

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
scraver - 2011-05-11 1:51 PM
kenj - 2011-05-11 11:56 AM

Hey Sherri,

@Vivian:  ~phew~  I thought I was the only one who wasn't working two times a day everyday.  I don't improve as fast as I could, but I am doing it at a pace that is DEFINITELY not going to case me any injuries and I am trying to keep this enjoyable.

@Ken:  thank you!  Your words make me feel a lot better.  I am seeing improvement.  I know at this point, I could finish the sprint tri.  Now I am just working on improving myself so that maybe I won't be last!  For me, it is just going to feel SO GOOD to be able to say "I did it!" and to be able to say "I am a triathlete."  I am certainly not going for any record breaking (other than my own PRs).

I think I might just add in some "fun jogs" in the evenings with my son in his jogger.  Just a short 2 mile run.  Aim to start with once a week.  He loves it and it would help me get some extra miles.

Very good idea and a great way to start getting the running frequency up!
2011-05-11 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3493812

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-05-11 1:59 PM

kenj - 2011-05-11 10:58 AM I know it isn't what you were trying to show Scott, but that is a good picture!

I had a request to show my Orbea.  I will post a better pic later. 

Ah! I thought you were trying to show Keri the Adamo seat!
2011-05-11 1:05 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

I've tried two different Adama seats and hated both of them. I like the idea but they are too wide for me and caused great discomfort. Right now I am on a Cobb and have been but only because it is the least worst I have found.

I totally agree conditioning and time on the bike is very important and I am lacking in my bike training right now. However, last summer/fall I had hundreds of miles with lots of 4+ hour rides while training for my HIM and it wasn't any better then. Blood blisters the size of nickels are no fun let me tell you.

2011-05-11 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3493350

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
robingray_260 - 2011-05-11 10:51 AM

I was supposed to swim today, however I pulled a muscle in my bicep? a couple of days ago lifting boxes and it hurts pretty bad right now. In fact it seems to have gotten worse (tingling pain all the way into my fingers) - most likely b/c I was helping hubby put sheetrock up on bathroom ceiling last night.

I am doing the ibruprofun regimen and have placed  anelgesic cream on my arm - any other suggestions? ice? heat?

BTW - it is snowing hard here right now (hence the planned swim). Maybe I can get some abwork and leg weights at the gym in today.

On no - not even training related. Cry

The best thing you can do is:

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

http://www.tutorials.com/06/0612/06121.asp

And if it is really getting worse go get an xray and have it checked out.

2011-05-11 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3493280

User image

Expert
Canada
IceManScott - 2011-05-11 11:26 AM

Have you tried an Adamo saddle?  After cancer surgery (prostate) I tried them and have never used anything else since.  Can't see it well here.  Only one I have here at work off it.  I have better at home.

Oooohhh...Rear disc wheel.  PurtyTongue out

Cover or solid wheel?

What are yo running on the front & why?

2011-05-11 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3493547

User image

Expert
Canada

Trout - 2011-05-11 12:59 PM 5k on 5/29.  Ran 19:24 last year in my first year back to running.  Hoping to average 6 min. pace this year - around 18:36.  Fairly flat out and back course.

Very fast goal!!!

Look forward to a race report!

2011-05-11 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Hey all things are moving along in here!

So let's see...I'm just riding a bottom of the line Specialized road bike, no aero bars. I'm a little frightened of the whole idea of being aero.

As far as races for May all I'm planning to sign up for the Bolder Boulder 10k which is held on memorial day. It is a huge! race in Boulder as I recall last year there were some where around 50,000 runners. I did it last year for the first time and it was a blast so I'm looking forward to running it again.

Scott very nice picture!!!

Hey Robin I'll have to see what's going on that weekend maybe I can come up to Ft. Collins and volunteer or just cheer you on! It would be fun to meet you!
2011-05-11 9:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
How do you post a picture to share??
2011-05-11 11:31 PM
in reply to: #3493826

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
KeriKadi - 2011-05-11 12:05 PM

I've tried two different Adama seats and hated both of them. I like the idea but they are too wide for me and caused great discomfort. Right now I am on a Cobb and have been but only because it is the least worst I have found.

I totally agree conditioning and time on the bike is very important and I am lacking in my bike training right now. However, last summer/fall I had hundreds of miles with lots of 4+ hour rides while training for my HIM and it wasn't any better then. Blood blisters the size of nickels are no fun let me tell you.

YIKES!

I was going to suggest the Adamo saddle as well as I have had lots of problems with saddles like you have. I think I have three saddles in my basement collecting dust. I have a Specialized Jet saddle on my road bike and have the Adamo saddle on my tri bike. It is a bit wide but the issues I had before are gone. It is nice to be able to get into the shower and not wince in pain, if you know what I mean.  If you are interested, I am happy to let you try out the saddles I have tried. I think I have Another Specialized Jet downstairs. It is just a bit smaller then the one I am using. Let me know, I would be glad to send them your way. I know how horrible it can be. I hated riding my bike for the same reasons and the bike is my strengh.

2011-05-11 11:32 PM
in reply to: #3494678

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

julta - 2011-05-11 7:30 PM Hey all things are moving along in here! So let's see...I'm just riding a bottom of the line Specialized road bike, no aero bars. I'm a little frightened of the whole idea of being aero. As far as races for May all I'm planning to sign up for the Bolder Boulder 10k which is held on memorial day. It is a huge! race in Boulder as I recall last year there were some where around 50,000 runners. I did it last year for the first time and it was a blast so I'm looking forward to running it again. Scott very nice picture!!! Hey Robin I'll have to see what's going on that weekend maybe I can come up to Ft. Collins and volunteer or just cheer you on! It would be fun to meet you!

If it works out, maybe both Julie and I could come watch you race.

2011-05-12 4:39 AM
in reply to: #3493547

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-05-11 11:59 AM 5k on 5/29.  Ran 19:24 last year in my first year back to running.  Hoping to average 6 min. pace this year - around 18:36.  Fairly flat out and back course.

Great goal pace!  I hope you get there!
2011-05-12 4:39 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Yikes!  We have been spammed!

Surprised
2011-05-12 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3494949

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

kenj - 2011-05-12 5:39 AM Yikes!  We have been spammed!

Surprised

Yeah and who has time for another sport especially GOLF!

2011-05-12 8:17 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
You would think there would be more time efficient ways to market a product on the internet other than setting up an account and placing adds into forum threads. 

How's everyones training going so far this week?  Bike intervals for me this morning on the trainer.  Going to fit a recovery run in somewhere today, I have a new pair of shoes that I bought for shorter tri's and running races that I am looking forward to trying out.
2011-05-12 8:23 AM

User image

Regular
Connecticut

Running Shoe Question:

I have read that some people replace their sneaks every 3 months.  I don't get enough miles in to need them that often... But I have been running in the same pairs for an embarrasingly long time.  The one pair I have had about 2 years now and they are just so comfy.  Do I HAVE to replace them?  When I first started running, I could tell when I needed new sneaks.  My shins would hurt.  Now, it seems I have built up enough muscles that that no longer happens. 

This are kinda cool:http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteController/saucony/productdetails?catId=cat10002&productId=4-105720&skuId=***4********10098-1*M055&stockNumber=10098-1&showDefaultOption=true

Edited by scraver 2011-05-12 8:23 AM

2011-05-12 8:36 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

I have my first pair of Saucony's after wearing Asics for years, I just felt it was time for something

different. I'd suggest going into a running store and trying on some shoes. Sometimes I can't tell

how worn down my shoes are until I put on another pair. If you don't rack up enough mileage to

change out every 3 months I think the longest you should run in them is a year. Of course you can

use them for walking and every day use but these shoes have gotten wet and the cushion has

compressed and started to break down. I have had two injuries because of my running shoes

breaking down, not fun knowing $100 could have saved you a lot of pain.

I joined a local tri club specifically for the 15% discount I get at the running shoe store. I don't get

to go to any of their events but the discount pays for the membership fee easily.

I'm in full taper mode today with a 28 minute bike ride and I think a 21 minute run.

2011-05-12 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3495233

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
KeriKadi - 2011-05-12 9:36 AM

I have my first pair of Saucony's after wearing Asics for years, I just felt it was time for something

different. I'd suggest going into a running store and trying on some shoes. Sometimes I can't tell

how worn down my shoes are until I put on another pair. If you don't rack up enough mileage to

change out every 3 months I think the longest you should run in them is a year. Of course you can

use them for walking and every day use but these shoes have gotten wet and the cushion has

compressed and started to break down. I have had two injuries because of my running shoes

breaking down, not fun knowing $100 could have saved you a lot of pain.

I joined a local tri club specifically for the 15% discount I get at the running shoe store. I don't get

to go to any of their events but the discount pays for the membership fee easily.

I'm in full taper mode today with a 28 minute bike ride and I think a 21 minute run.

Good advice Keri!  I like to support the local running store and they do a great job usually of making sure I am in the right shoe.  Sometimes if I find the same model on line for a deal I will order online, but I always get the first pair of even a model change from the local store.  Most good stores will video tape your feet on a treadmill to see how your ankles and feet react to a particular model shoe. 

I am a long time Saucony user starting with the ProGrid Omni 6's and now up to the Omni 9's and also a couple pairs of the Hurricane 12's.  I will usually have 3 or 4 pairs in rotation at any given time (my wife thinks this is hillarious).  But, except during the off season I am usually runningat least 5 days a week and I think the shoes hold up better if they are given more than a day in between runs to dry out.  Plus as they get older I generally use them for shorter runs or leave them at work to use on the office treadmills.

The new pair I mentioned above are the K Swiss Kwicky Blade.  I had to order them on line as there isn't a local store that sells K Swiss that I could find.  They are lighter racers that offer a little support, which I need.  Plus the inside is designed to run without socks which I would like to do for the sprints and oly races this summer.  Hopefully they work out, but I bought them from a place that has a fairly liberal return policy.

I use 350 miles as the guideline for retiring and there is a equipment tracker function on your blog here.  I beleive it is a free feature.  If you train by time rather than distance, 350 miles is about 50 hours for me.  I don't necessarily can them at 350 and I have stretched a couple of pairs to 360 or 370, but when I know they are over that distance I look at them a little closer or wont use them for long runs.

Edited by kenj 2011-05-12 9:08 AM
2011-05-12 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

The weather is still crappy here - blowing snow since yesterday morning. Temps right around freezing.

I will have to go to the gym to get a workout in - I am suffering from major lack of motivation Frown

Also, need to make a dr. appt today about my arm/shoulder - not sure it is just a sprain.

2011-05-12 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3495311

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-05-12 10:08 AM

The weather is still crappy here - blowing snow since yesterday morning. Temps right around freezing.

I will have to go to the gym to get a workout in - I am suffering from major lack of motivation Frown

Also, need to make a dr. appt today about my arm/shoulder - not sure it is just a sprain.

I won't complain about my weather anymore!  Wow, snowing in May, Yuck!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72