BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-01-25 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

I haven't given much thought to songs, but I do have an Ipod, so that's a start. But these would be some of my choices:

Takin' Care of Business - BTO (Bachman Turner Overdrive for you youngin's)

Prelude/Long Time - Boston

Johnny B. Good - Chuck Berry

(boy am I showing my age LOL)

Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas

5:15 - The Who

Cool The Engines - Boston

Edited by TLakatos1259 2012-01-25 7:42 AM

2012-01-25 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4009262

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-24 8:44 PM

How's the base at MRG and Stowe. Cause where I am (hour and a half due north), it is melting away this week... Hope you get some good snow...

Not looking good. *fingers crossed for snow*

2012-01-25 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4009753

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-25 7:40 AM

I haven't given much thought to songs, but I do have an Ipod, so that's a start. But these would be some of my choices:

Takin' Care of Business - BTO (Bachman Turner Overdrive for you youngin's)

Prelude/Long Time - Boston

Johnny B. Good - Chuck Berry

(boy am I showing my age LOL)

Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas

5:15 - The Who

Cool The Engines - Boston

Holy c***, have you been hanging out with my husband? Every song on there is something he would have...

2012-01-25 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4009737

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-25 8:28 AM
Sammeg - 2012-01-24 7:58 PM
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-24 5:18 PM

My Reality check for comments

I got upto 7 1/2 minutes of jogging in my walk'n.  I did 10 minutes of warm up on nordic trak (indoor cross country ski)

By the way, since I live in New Jersey, Go Giants!  However we do resent they are still called NY.  Can't wait for Baseball!

Tom, well done!! Celebrate those wins and use them as motivation to keep pushin further.

I see you have the Suffolk County 5k in your race listing. That's in my neck of the woods and I'll be there this year. Let me know if you want a scouting report on the course(spoiler alert...flat and windy)

As far as the Giants go....Jersey can have them

Thanks, I want to make sure I will upto it before I register.  I'll let you know.  I'm really a Miami fan anyway.

That's actually worse

2012-01-25 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4009737

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-25 7:28 AM
Sammeg - 2012-01-24 7:58 PM
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-24 5:18 PM

My Reality check for comments

I got upto 7 1/2 minutes of jogging in my walk'n.  I did 10 minutes of warm up on nordic trak (indoor cross country ski)

By the way, since I live in New Jersey, Go Giants!  However we do resent they are still called NY.  Can't wait for Baseball!

Tom, well done!! Celebrate those wins and use them as motivation to keep pushin further.

I see you have the Suffolk County 5k in your race listing. That's in my neck of the woods and I'll be there this year. Let me know if you want a scouting report on the course(spoiler alert...flat and windy)

As far as the Giants go....Jersey can have them

Thanks, I want to make sure I will upto it before I register.  I'll let you know.  I'm really a Miami fan anyway.

You can do it! You guys should meet up if you both end up at the race! How fun!

2012-01-25 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4009536

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
kentkillsit - 2012-01-24 10:46 PM

Hey Everyone.  Just a quick check-in.  Been focusing on running with swim and bike workouts starting next week.  Woot woot!  Looking back over my running log from last year I realize that I spent a good deal of 2011 complaining about the heat.  Northern Cali gets hot.  So I'm trying to be grateful for the cool weather.  It's funny that we're talking about running/racing tunes because all my runs prior to today have been sans tunes.  I'm trying to get used to the idea that my races will feature a soundtrack of me wheezing and panting and drooling and whimpering.  However, today I forgot my Garmin and needed my i-phone, so I put on my headphones and treated myself to . . . wait for it . . . Mastodon's "Crack the Skye" in its entirety.  Yep.  Prog metal.  That, some hip-hop, some funk, and some classic rock tend to keep me on the road.  Here are a few off the top of my head that have come in handy on recent runs:

Phish, "The Divided Sky" and "Time Turns Elastic"

Run DMC, "Rock Box"

Ted Nugent, "Great White Buffalo"

Korn, "Freak on a Leash"

Allman Brothers, "Jessica"

Rush, "Spirit of Radio"

Anything by James Brown. 

Oh - and an embarassing pleasure that works amazingly well on the road is Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light."  I've gotten MILES out of that one.   

Props to all you folks getting it done in the cold weather, in the pool, with injuries and time conflicts and family priorities and all else.  I'm consistently inspired by reading all you do - from the vets to the newbies.  And I'm clearly in good company.  

Cheers!

-Kent 

Kent, I grew up in Northern Cali-Clayton to be exact. Oh yes it can get hot! I miss that weather out there, but the heat sucks no matter what...Thanks for the kind words. Sounds like you are ramping up your training nicely, keep it up!

Music is a controversial issue on this board (well isn't everything). I like it when I am by myself, but some people don't like it. I definitely had to make sure I could run without it when I started tri' because obviously it is a no no...it does help when I am by myself, that is for sure! I'll have to check out everyone's suggestions, my stuff is a bit stale these days...

2012-01-25 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4009445

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
quincyf - 2012-01-24 10:37 PM
trei - 2012-01-24 12:37 PM

Another quick question:  I bought a compression shirt - just exactly how tight are these supposed to be?  Lets just say I feel a little self conscious looking at myself with it on.  Maybe after my training???

Ya, those are tough...compression means tight. DH used to throw a large tank top over his compression shirts b/c he felt weird...now he just rocks them...a combo platter of losing some pudge and just not worrying about it anymore...

I have made pretty good progress now with breathing on the right side while swimming.  It doesn't seem so unnatural now and I can switch right to left as needed.

This is so great, you will not regret this. 

I thought it would be fun if everyone could post one of their favorite workout songs, so that I can add that to my MP3 player then think of the group when the tunes come on.  Since its my suggestion I will go first:  Journey - Anything is possible (off the newest CD).  Looking forward to hearing your suggestions...

Switch-Will Smith

Paralyzer-Finger 11

In the Middle-Jimmy Eats World

Hot 'n' Cold-Katy Perry

My Love is Like Whoa-Mya

Catch Yer Own Train-The Silver Seas

That's Not My Name-The Ting Tings

FULL DISCLAIMER: My husband hates my music choices. You may too, I am ok with that. I think I pick stuff for running that matches my cadence. Thanks for sharing yours...I'll check them all out...always looking for new ideas...

I got these ^^^^^ on my playlist also as well as

ANYTHING Foo Fighters

Fool in the Rain - Zep

Cruise Missile - Steve Morse Band

Black Betty - Spiderbait version

Peace Frog  - Doors

2012-01-25 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4009884

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Sammeg - 2012-01-25 8:41 AM
quincyf - 2012-01-24 10:37 PM

Another quick question:  I bought a compression shirt - just exactly how tight are these supposed to be?  Lets just say I feel a little self conscious looking at myself with it on.  Maybe after my training???

Ya, those are tough...compression means tight. DH used to throw a large tank top over his compression shirts b/c he felt weird...now he just rocks them...a combo platter of losing some pudge and just not worrying about it anymore...

I have made pretty good progress now with breathing on the right side while swimming.  It doesn't seem so unnatural now and I can switch right to left as needed.

This is so great, you will not regret this. 

I thought it would be fun if everyone could post one of their favorite workout songs, so that I can add that to my MP3 player then think of the group when the tunes come on.  Since its my suggestion I will go first:  Journey - Anything is possible (off the newest CD).  Looking forward to hearing your suggestions...

Switch-Will Smith

Paralyzer-Finger 11

In the Middle-Jimmy Eats World

Hot 'n' Cold-Katy Perry

My Love is Like Whoa-Mya

Catch Yer Own Train-The Silver Seas

That's Not My Name-The Ting Tings

FULL DISCLAIMER: My husband hates my music choices. You may too, I am ok with that. I think I pick stuff for running that matches my cadence. Thanks for sharing yours...I'll check them all out...always looking for new ideas...

I got these ^^^^^ on my playlist also as well as

ANYTHING Foo Fighters

Fool in the Rain - Zep

Cruise Missile - Steve Morse Band

Black Betty - Spiderbait version (I need this one, good idea!!!)

Peace Frog  - Doors

2012-01-25 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4008291

User image

Expert
Hammond

Well I've got so many that I'm not sure I can pick- lol. I guess I'll just put a couple of my favorites.

Sweet Child O Mine by Guns n Roses

Life is a Highway- Rascal Flatts

Juke Box Hero- Foreigner

are a few of my favorites. Guess I'm showing my age here huh. I do like some newer stuff but my fav's are from my younger days- imagine that- lol.

Can't wait to see what others list. Great Idea.

Shelly

Edited by fitmomma2010 2012-01-25 11:13 AM
2012-01-25 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4006343

User image

Expert
Hammond
Sammeg - 2012-01-23 1:53 PM
quincyf - 2012-01-23 11:51 AM

Hey everybody, long time no post Embarassed

Here's a lil clip of my wifes's running partner enjoying the white stuff over the weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A9ZJVjsCb4&list=UUedRO_4h-ilEkMFbOk2tf8w&index=1&feature=plcp

As far as taking care of the home stuff, that's awesome advice. I put together 2 lists, one for the stuff that really needs to get done and another listing what tasks buys me the most equity w/the wife. Then I throw the first one away Smile.  Makes for a much happier household if the garage door is working while I'm out running.

I have a 10 mile race on the calendar for Saturday which I have decided to approach like a training run since we're leaving for a ski trip later that day and I want to save my legs for the mountain.

Happy Monday!

Love the list idea and the dog ;-). I want a four legged running partner but haven't been able to convince the master of ceremonies aka dh. We have one four legged furry friend already and that's one more than he wanted- lol. She's too small to take running so I just have to run alone for now. Dh does come with me often but he isn't as much fun- he pushes me too hard and he isn't furry ;-).

Shelly

2012-01-25 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4009422

User image

Expert
Hammond
oriolepwr - 2012-01-24 9:23 PM
Sammeg - 2012-01-24 9:43 AM
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-24 8:31 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-23 9:05 PM
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-23 6:05 PM

[/QUOTE

I know you all will be hoping for  Giants win for ME!  wont you????   

Well since I can't root for my Saints- I guess I can pull for the Giants for you. I'm still really bummed that my team isn't playing though.

Shelly

2012-01-25 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4009474

User image

Expert
Hammond
quincyf - 2012-01-24 9:52 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-24 9:23 PM
Sammeg - 2012-01-24 9:43 AM
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-24 8:31 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-23 9:05 PM
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-23 6:05 PM

Not to dredge up personal ethos here, but can I just say what a good Dad you are to put Melissas beautiful smile before a tri bike. Without getting into minutae, not every parent does this for their kids. It deserves applause! And you deserve to win that damn pool. When are you and Eileen and the girls coming down to hang? PM me and we'll set it up...

I so agree Q. I am often amazed at how many  parents put themselves before their children. Back in October I won a fitness challenge at our gym that translated into almost 900.00 for dh and I. I had earmarked that money for a 910 xt for myself and dh. However, about a month after I won it, we realized that my sons tires on his truck were in dire need of being replaced. Ironically they cost almost exactly 900.00. Guess where that money went? I had at least two training friends and three co workers who thought I was crazy for paying for those tires with that money. I was just floored. There wasn't enough in our budget to do both and my son certainly didn't have that kind of money- he works and pays his gas and insurance and barely gets a few dollars a week left over for him. For me it wasn't even a question.  I just found it interesting that other people thought a hrm watch should come before my sons safety. Now don't get me wrong I wouldn't have just given that money to him for a new radio system or something just because he wanted it- but for tires- please.

And it all worked out anyhow because dh was able to use Am Ex rewards points to get my 910 for Christmas and it should arrive today or tomorrow- yeah!!

Anyway- just wanted to say I agree with you.

Shelly

2012-01-25 5:21 PM
in reply to: #4010301

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-25 12:12 PM
Sammeg - 2012-01-23 1:53 PM

Hey everybody, long time no post Embarassed

Here's a lil clip of my wifes's running partner enjoying the white stuff over the weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A9ZJVjsCb4&list=UUedRO_4h-ilEkMFbOk2tf8w&index=1&feature=plcp

As far as taking care of the home stuff, that's awesome advice. I put together 2 lists, one for the stuff that really needs to get done and another listing what tasks buys me the most equity w/the wife. Then I throw the first one away Smile.  Makes for a much happier household if the garage door is working while I'm out running.

I have a 10 mile race on the calendar for Saturday which I have decided to approach like a training run since we're leaving for a ski trip later that day and I want to save my legs for the mountain.

Happy Monday!

Love the list idea and the dog ;-). I want a four legged running partner but haven't been able to convince the master of ceremonies aka dh. We have one four legged furry friend already and that's one more than he wanted- lol. She's too small to take running so I just have to run alone for now. Dh does come with me often but he isn't as much fun- he pushes me too hard and he isn't furry ;-).

Shelly

Thanks. She(Cajun) can run FOREVER, endless energy. My wife does alot of runs at night and I like that she has a dog w/her(not that she poses a threat to anything but my furniture, my dog that is, my wife is not a threat to to the furniture ).

What kind of pooch o you have?

2012-01-25 5:47 PM

Rochester
For music I absolutely LOVE Metallica for workout songs. Anything that is going to get my blood flowing well I love.

Kids...I love them very much, I have 3 and 2 grandchildren so I do use money towards them. I so want a 910 but at $500 I just cannot swing it right now. I worry to much for this summer, my gf's appointment for her job ends in June, she is a lawyer in a appellate court so she is looking for a new job. I am crossing my fingers she finds something so I saving my money in case I am the only income. Thanks God I stop paying for braces in July!!!!
2012-01-25 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4011112

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

peterflagg - 2012-01-25 5:47 PM For music I absolutely LOVE Metallica for workout songs. Anything that is going to get my blood flowing well I love.

Kids...I love them very much, I have 3 and 2 grandchildren so I do use money towards them. I so want a 910 but at $500 I just cannot swing it right now. I worry to much for this summer, my gf's appointment for her job ends in June, she is a lawyer in a appellate court so she is looking for a new job. I am crossing my fingers she finds something so I saving my money in case I am the only income. Thanks God I stop paying for braces in July!!!!

This might be a good time to pick up a 310xt from someone else who is upgrading...that would be a super nice entry level watch...for a lot less than retail...just a thought...

2012-01-25 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4011125

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
quincyf - 2012-01-25 6:57 PM

peterflagg - 2012-01-25 5:47 PM For music I absolutely LOVE Metallica for workout songs. Anything that is going to get my blood flowing well I love.

This might be a good time to pick up a 310xt from someone else who is upgrading...that would be a super nice entry level watch...for a lot less than retail...just a thought...

This discussion seems like a good opportunity to come clean with the group and re-introduce myself.....Hi, I'm Ted and I'm the cheapest "triathlete" on earth. Nice to meet you all.

So I struggle with spending $ on myself...more specifically tri related spending. Seems like my girls were born just yesterday then I suddenly turned around and they were 10. I really try to make the most of this small window I have with my kids before they realize I'm an embarrassment to them and they start asking me to drop them off a block away from the movies so their friends don't see me(which is right around the corner). So we try and take 3 vacations a year together and I always weigh any large purchases against that.

Two of the races I wanted to do this year required travel; Mont Treblant 70.3 and either the Philly or Marine marathon. I didn't want 2 of our vaca's to revolve around me so I decided to travel to a fall marathon and do Mont Treblant next year.

All that being said, here's some of the things I do to save $

Volunteer at races: The RD's around here offer credits for future races when you work an event. I saved ~ $500 dollars last year on race fees by volunteering and will probably save that much this year as well. It also is a great way to learn/share knowledge at races. I typically work transition and get alota good info from the peeps at the larger races. In the smaller races, I come across alota folks doing there first race who are extremely nervous and receptive to any encouragement and limited advice I can provide. This, I find extremely rewarding.

Ride an old school steed: (hmmmm, Double entendre alert) This is where I'm most conflicted. I ride a 1983 Motobecane Grand Record steel frame road bike that was the sh!!t when I bought it as my 15 year old self. Titus tubing, shimano 600ex components, etc, love the retro bike but seriously, it's 30 years old. On the other hand, is it worth 2k (week skiing with the family) to be incrementally faster when not a single person will know the difference but me? That's the dilemma. So far, for me the answer is no but........

Training Gear: With the exception of really cold weather, the compression gear at Target and Walmart works really well for me. Under 20 degrees, UA gear is definitely worth the $.

Nutrition: This is highly personal but I find that PB on mini bagels, fig newtons, fresh fruit, etc work really well. I also try and use what's provided on the course when possible. Of course I make sure I have no problem w/any of this in training prior to race day. Also stocking up on bulk Gels/etc at superstores when on sale can save alot of scratch.

I'm sure many others will have a different take on much of this which is cool. I just wanted to share  a few things that work for me based on my priorities and circumstances. I'd love to hear everybody else's thoughts on being a "Frugal Triathlete"

Edited by Sammeg 2012-01-25 10:07 PM

2012-01-25 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

For those of you struggling in the water, here is a thread for you.

Not exactly OWS panic or pushing too hard panic, but I really liked the guys attitude. It was a combo of returning to the pool and returning here for more encouragement. 

What do you think? I wonder how many people give up on triathlon because they couldn't get past a swimming problem. I'm pretty stubborn and I tend to give up on the pool when I am at a plateau.

I guess I just really liked the aspect of keeping on trying and coming back here for advice and motivation. I believe just coming on BT and logging and participating can serve to keep people motivated to continue training...that's what's so great about the mentor program...it gives newbies a safe place to post while they get comfortable with BT.

Sounds corny, but it is so true...

Have a nice night y'all,

Q

2012-01-26 12:13 AM
in reply to: #4011173

User image

Expert
Hammond
Sammeg - 2012-01-25 6:36 PM

This discussion seems like a good opportunity to come clean with the group and re-introduce myself.....Hi, I'm Ted and I'm the cheapest "triathlete" on earth. Nice to meet you all.

So I struggle with spending $ on myself...more specifically tri related spending. Seems like my girls were born just yesterday then I suddenly turned around and they were 10. I really try to make the most of this small window I have with my kids before they realize I'm an embarrassment to them and they start asking me to drop them off a block away from the movies so their friends don't see me(which is right around the corner). So we try and take 3 vacations a year together and I always weigh any large purchases against that.

Two of the races I wanted to do this year required travel; Mont Treblant 70.3 and either the Philly or Marine marathon. I didn't want 2 of our vaca's to revolve around me so I decided to travel to a fall marathon and do Mont Treblant next year.

Volunteer at races: The RD's around here offer credits for future races when you work an event. I saved ~ $500 dollars last year on race fees by volunteering and will probably save that much this year as well. It also is a great way to learn/share knowledge at races. I typically work transition and get alota good info from the peeps at the larger races. In the smaller races, I come across alota folks doing there first race who are extremely nervous and receptive to any encouragement and limited advice I can provide. This, I find extremely rewarding.

Ride an old school steed: (hmmmm, Double entendre alert) This is where I'm most conflicted. I ride a 1983 Motobecane Grand Record steel frame road bike that was the sh!!t when I bought it as my 15 year old self. Titus tubing, shimano 600ex components, etc, love the retro bike but seriously, it's 30 years old. On the other hand, is it worth 2k (week skiing with the family) to be incrementally faster when not a single person will know the difference but me? That's the dilemma. So far, for me the answer is no but........

Training Gear: With the exception of really cold weather, the compression gear at Target and Walmart works really well for me. Under 20 degrees, UA gear is definitely worth the $.

Nutrition: This is highly personal but I find that PB on mini bagels, fig newtons, fresh fruit, etc work really well. I also try and use what's provided on the course when possible. Of course I make sure I have no problem w/any of this in training prior to race day. Also stocking up on bulk Gels/etc at superstores when on sale can save alot of scratch.

I'm sure many others will have a different take on much of this which is cool. I just wanted to share  a few things that work for me based on my priorities and circumstances. I'd love to hear everybody else's thoughts on being a "Frugal Triathlete"

Ted,

Actually I am right there with you. I've just never been one to not be frugal. My theory is that I work too hard for my money, and like you dh and I like to travel with our family. Not that we are able to do it a ton, but family fun is important to us.

I buy things on sale. Like you I get work out gear from Target or JCPenney. We do have an Academy Sports around the corner and I check their clearance racks often. I do get quite a bit of Nike and UA workout clothes for either 9.88 or 4.88. Last week lucked up into Nike running shorts for 2.88 a pair. Bought 2 for me and 4 for my 9 year old. We're set for awhile. ;-)

I did spend on my bike but I saved for almost a year to buy it and asked for any of my gifts that year to be donations towards my bike. Birthday, anniversary, Christmas, etc. And I have a small part time business selling hair bows. I did a few extra sales and put half the money to my bike fund and the other half to our vacation fund.

As for my 910xt, originally I was supposed to get it with money I won from a fitness challenge at the gym. That money ended up being needed for tires for my son's truck so I thought I wasn't getting one. My dh surprised me for Christmas by using some of our Am Ex rewards points and ordered me one. It cost us nothing out of pocket. And my cardiologist really was pushing me to get one, he didn't want me in another spin or cardio class without it. So it was needed although I do know I could have gotten one less expensive and still met my needs so I realize it's a luxury as well. But as I said we didn't pay any actual money for it.

Dh and I have been through him being laid off twice, me having cancer twice and having to be out of work for 2 and 3 months each time, and losing a child and all the associated medical bills and yet financially we have always been fine. It's because we live well within our means and choose wisely how we spend our money. In other words we are very frugal. And we too realize how precious and fast this time with our children is. Mine were born yesterday- I'm sure of it- yet one is a grown woman (19 about to be 20) and another is a grown man ( 18 about to be 19). And my baby is 9. She should still be in newborn sizes if you ask me.

I love your volunteer suggestion. We've volunteered for races but didn't even know to ask about reduced entry fees. Thats a great way to save money and learn. Great suggestion.

So let me reintroduce myself- I am Shelly another frugal triathlete- lol.

2012-01-26 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4011516

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-26 1:13 AM

Ted,

Actually I am right there with you. I've just never been one to not be frugal. My theory is that I work too hard for my money, and like you dh and I like to travel with our family. Not that we are able to do it a ton, but family fun is important to us.

I buy things on sale. Like you I get work out gear from Target or JCPenney. We do have an Academy Sports around the corner and I check their clearance racks often. I do get quite a bit of Nike and UA workout clothes for either 9.88 or 4.88. Last week lucked up into Nike running shorts for 2.88 a pair. Bought 2 for me and 4 for my 9 year old. We're set for awhile. ;-)

I did spend on my bike but I saved for almost a year to buy it and asked for any of my gifts that year to be donations towards my bike. Birthday, anniversary, Christmas, etc. And I have a small part time business selling hair bows. I did a few extra sales and put half the money to my bike fund and the other half to our vacation fund.

As for my 910xt, originally I was supposed to get it with money I won from a fitness challenge at the gym. That money ended up being needed for tires for my son's truck so I thought I wasn't getting one. My dh surprised me for Christmas by using some of our Am Ex rewards points and ordered me one. It cost us nothing out of pocket. And my cardiologist really was pushing me to get one, he didn't want me in another spin or cardio class without it. So it was needed although I do know I could have gotten one less expensive and still met my needs so I realize it's a luxury as well. But as I said we didn't pay any actual money for it.

Dh and I have been through him being laid off twice, me having cancer twice and having to be out of work for 2 and 3 months each time, and losing a child and all the associated medical bills and yet financially we have always been fine. It's because we live well within our means and choose wisely how we spend our money. In other words we are very frugal. And we too realize how precious and fast this time with our children is. Mine were born yesterday- I'm sure of it- yet one is a grown woman (19 about to be 20) and another is a grown man ( 18 about to be 19). And my baby is 9. She should still be in newborn sizes if you ask me.

I love your volunteer suggestion. We've volunteered for races but didn't even know to ask about reduced entry fees. Thats a great way to save money and learn. Great suggestion.

Wow Shelly, after what you've been through, I'm thinking nobody appreciates their family time more than you. You are clearly a very strong person.

On a side note, my post was not intended to make any judgements about what people choose to spend their money on, just how I try and keep my costs down. If it came across as "judgey" I apologize.

2012-01-26 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4011516

User image

Sutton
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-26 1:13 AM

Ted,

Shelly,

Great eye opener, matter of fact "humbling".

Thanks for sharing...

2012-01-26 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4011944

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

On a side note, my post was not intended to make any judgements about what people choose to spend their money on, just how I try and keep my costs down. If it came across as "judgey" I apologize.

OMG, I think this is the least judgey group of triathletes on BT!!! Hang onto that humility and you will never go wrong! 

LOVELOVELOVE the saving money tips...I am going to add some later, but I gotta do that mommy s*** right now!

Carry on crew!

Edited by quincyf 2012-01-26 9:20 AM

2012-01-26 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4011173

User image

Sutton
Sammeg - 2012-01-25 7:36 PM

Ted,

I will be doing the 70.3 Mont Tremblant and will let you know how the event/race/organization is. I too, try to be frugual in my spending. It took me 3 weeks before I decided to spend the $275 for the race in Mont Tremblant.

And there is a full IM in August in Mont Tremblant, I plan to volunteer for potential rebate and experience. My wife may be volunteering at my race as she too is a ski patrol and they may have some use for her qualification.

Bought a used bike (2008 Treck Madone 5.2SL got a great deal) and will borrow some of those TT arm doodads, go to the Louis Garneau sowing shop in Newport, VT to get deals on riding apperal, bought a used Cateye trainer (the nice thing about it is it was used by an olympian Lyne Bessette, you can Wikie her). Can't think of spending much on watches (but can't wait to here about the 910XT from Shelly), so I'll work on ways to remember my lap count in the pool. But will make sure I have the best running shoes for the money, bad experiences with inexpensive ones...

As my family is fully grown and about to leave the house, our focus is on supporting them in times of crisis (more than I want too, but we love them). As I've begun my journey to the half IM, that I'm dedicating to my sister (57 years old), who was diagnosted with Parkinson (for which I plan to raise money for the Michael J Fox Foundation). I've seen my boys starting to excercise, not that they were phisically challenged, but just the fact that they are getting more active is an unexpected reward for our family.

And that's my story...

2012-01-26 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4012013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-26 10:42 AM 

Ted,

I will be doing the 70.3 Mont Tremblant and will let you know how the event/race/organization is. I too, try to be frugual in my spending. It took me 3 weeks before I decided to spend the $275 for the race in Mont Tremblant.

And there is a full IM in August in Mont Tremblant, I plan to volunteer for potential rebate and experience. My wife may be volunteering at my race as she too is a ski patrol and they may have some use for her qualification.

Bought a used bike (2008 Treck Madone 5.2SL got a great deal) and will borrow some of those TT arm doodads, go to the Louis Garneau sowing shop in Newport, VT to get deals on riding apperal, bought a used Cateye trainer (the nice thing about it is it was used by an olympian Lyne Bessette, you can Wikie her). Can't think of spending much on watches (but can't wait to here about the 910XT from Shelly), so I'll work on ways to remember my lap count in the pool. But will make sure I have the best running shoes for the money, bad experiences with inexpensive ones...

As my family is fully grown and about to leave the house, our focus is on supporting them in times of crisis (more than I want too, but we love them). As I've begun my journey to the half IM, that I'm dedicating to my sister (57 years old), who was diagnosted with Parkinson (for which I plan to raise money for the Michael J Fox Foundation). I've seen my boys starting to excercise, not that they were phisically challenged, but just the fact that they are getting more active is an unexpected reward for our family.

And that's my story...

Can't wait for the Mont Treblant review, I have a feeling it's gonna go off really well.

Dedicating the race to your sister is truly inspiring.

2012-01-26 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4011957

User image

Expert
Hammond
quincyf - 2012-01-26 9:18 AM

OMG, I think this is the least judgey group of triathletes on BT!!! Hang onto that humility and you will never go wrong! 

LOVELOVELOVE the saving money tips...I am going to add some later, but I gotta do that mommy s*** right now!

Carry on crew!

x2- I didn't take it judgey at all. I love seeing where others save money or cut costs. Great topic adn I enjoyed your post. Hope I didn't sound defensive in my reply about how I paid for my bike and 910xt  cause I surely didn't feel that way. Just offering suggestions on how to get some of the more expensive toys without hitting your actual family budget. I love getting ideas on where to save- Right up my alley- lol.

Shelly

2012-01-26 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4012013

User image

Expert
Hammond

Bought a used bike (2008 Treck Madone 5.2SL got a great deal)

As I've begun my journey to the half IM, that I'm dedicating to my sister (57 years old), who was diagnosted with Parkinson (for which I plan to raise money for the Michael J Fox Foundation).

And that's my story...

That's awesome that you're doing that for your sister. I am sure it means the world to her.

I am sooo jealous of your Madone- lol. That's the bike the LBS put me on for my first test ride when I was buying my bike. Of course they aren't stupid- nothing else compared. That bike was hard to walk away from. I love my bike but I fantasize about the Madone- lol. Awesome getting it used for a great deal. Right place at the right time- love when that happens ;-).

Cant wait to hear the race report also.

Shelly

Edited by fitmomma2010 2012-01-26 11:28 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44