BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2012-05-12 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4123247

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED

Jim-do you have your race number yet for IMTX?

Randy

2012-05-12 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Ok, full race report!

Here's my race report: Race Report

Pre-Race: got up at 5, showered, etc. I had a smoothie and drove about 45-50 minutes to get there. It's my college alma mater. I set up my transition, ate a Stinger waffle (LOVE those things!), ran about 1/4 mile warm-up and then swam a little. Pretty nervous...

Swim: It was hard, but I did really well per my expectations. I did it in 20, which was my goal. No backstroke or doggie-paddle. This was what I was most nervous about, but just took all your advice and stayed calm and kept swimming. My form is atrocious, I know it. But I felt good the whole way.

T1: nailed it. Organized, simple, in and out in 1:13.

Bike: Felt good. Went hard, but made sure not too hard. Big hill 2 miles in that I made sure to pace myself on, from then on rolling hills. There were multiple cyclists riding all over the place: left, right, weaving all over! I was really worried about getting a drafting penalty, but I just tried to get clear as soon as I could. Also, I went a little crazy. I was in the Novice category, and every time I saw someone with an N on their leg, they became my Nemesis. Crazy, I know, but for the whole ride, I just kept focusing on one guy and saying, "You're the one I have to pass." I think I passed 5 or so Laughing. Felt great throughout. Gu at 3 miles, Nuun to drink.

T2: Had to put on socks, tried it once without and got blisters. Still ok for the first race at 1:31.

Run: This was fast for me, just over 40 secs. slower than my PR 5k. Felt great the entire time, no cramps or tightness. Loved it.

Overall: Loved it! I've been training hard since February and it all paid off. I'm only as sore as if I'd worked out this morning. I went really hard, and now I can say I'm a triathlete Tongue out I really didn't make any major mistakes and felt I was as fit as I could have been for the race. Thanks for everyone for all their support and advice so far, it was infinitely helpful!

2012-05-12 4:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Jamie - Congratulations on a job well done ... first triathlon down, a whole life of more triathlons yet to come! Nice race report!

I had a decent bike ride this morning minus the 45 minutes when I got a flat and had trouble with replacing it of course. I can see my improvements on the bike. I still got another 20lbs to lose (at least) and I can't wait to see how much that will improve my overall bike and run times. I am going to start using trainerroad.com and see if I can follow some of their workouts and see if that helps. 

Went out today to buy Chrissie Wellington's "A life without limits" and was shocked that it was sold out at all book stores that I went to. Can't wait to put my fingers on that book. Since starting triathlons I have become a data junkie of all things swim, bike, run!

Next week is my first OLY ... can't wait!

2012-05-12 4:26 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-FANTASTIC!  I read the race report and it sounds like you executed everything well. Happy that you had such a good experience.

Randy

2012-05-12 5:44 PM

User image

Massachusetts
Jamie, congrats!!
2012-05-12 5:46 PM

User image

Master

Congratulations, Jaime! Sounds like went very, very well for you. That's awesome! Lots of positive in that race report. I foresee many, many more in your future.

Good luck, Jimmy, on your IM!! Can't wait to hear how that goes for you.

How'd it go, Rene?

Happy Mother's Day to you mamas here!

2012-05-12 6:47 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Jamie.

Awesome race and report.

I don't know if I will ever learn to run without socks but I have learned how to put them on faster.
2012-05-12 7:00 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Sorry, I have been MIA for several days. Work, family, travel and training have all conspired against me posting much. Things are good and training is back in full swing.

Today I had a killer run. The kind where you just feel fast and like nothing can stop you. Even when it hurt it felt good. Someone a couple weeks ago posted about how, "they wished they could run as fast as you (me)." I was thinking about that today while I was running. I was really flattered that someone thinks of me as a fast runner. I don't really think of myself as fast at all but today sure felt good. There are a bunch of people that I wish I was as fast as. It is interesting that no matter how fast you get there is always someone faster so "getting fast" is really a moving goal.

If you are interested in someone who is really, really fast I would suggest you look at the blog of a guy named Dave Roche. I wish I was somewhere in the same galaxy as him, speedwise. Unfortunately, he is so much faster than me, that I will probably never get there but you need to have goals, even if they are crazy. Put "beauty and change" in to google and Dave's blog will be the first match. He has some really funny, amazing race reports. I consider it a must-read site. I like to imagine that one day I will be able to run like Dave.

Can't wait to read more reports on racing this weekend.
2012-05-12 8:47 PM

User image

Master
Jaimie, congratulations! Looks like all of that hard work paid off. So are you now hooked on triathlons? Have you signed up for another one yet? Now that you've got the base you should find another race to do this month!!

I'm halfway between Lubbock and Houston at a hotel. I had a good race. Report is up in my log. Learned a lot about the BSLT course and what I need to work on. Well worth the trip out here. Ended up with Overall Female Masters even with my time. I was off of my projected time by quite a bit. But given the course did as best as i could for the day.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and Happy Mothers Day!

Jimmy enjoy that taper. One week from now you'll be done with IMTX!
2012-05-12 10:01 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

First chance to log in today.

Jamie:  Great job on your first tri!  It sounds like you did it very well indeed.

Rene:  First masters is fantastic!  Congrats!

2012-05-13 3:49 AM

User image

Master

Rene: Girl, sounded a bit scary with the breathing issues, but so glad you managed that well and finished awesomely! Great reminder for us asthmatics to keep our inhalers nearby. Congratulations, girlfriend!

The entire weekend, starting Friday afternoon, was just one big celebration with birthdays and Mother's Day shindigs. Zero WORKouts, but got a fun swim in today. Brought my new GoPro to test it out. Was with my swim instructor and his family, so a pretty swim focused sorta fun! A few stills here:

Hope you all had lovely weekends.

Edited by Blanda 2012-05-13 4:05 AM

2012-05-13 7:30 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Rene-great job on a tough course with difficult conditions.  Sounds like it was a good idea to do the race and see what to expect come June.  Safe travels on the last leg home.

Blanda-cool pictures! Sounds like a great way to specd the weekend.

We never got all the rain that was predicted for yesterday and none so far today.  I'm going to do a hard hour on the trainer and then a 20 minute run.  Maybe the rain will come by then and I can skip the yardwork and spend some quality time on the couch later.

Jamie-still feeling good after your race?  How's the foot pain you were having.

Randy     

2012-05-13 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

So, I'm feeling good today. My legs are a little sore, but no more than if I'd just gone to the gym or had a long bike yesterday. My feet are hurting a little, but I think that they just need more care overall. I'm on my feet pretty constantly at school, so I think I just need some more arch support. I'll also go with the massaging with lacrosse ball and frozen water bottle.

So, where to go from here? I have a ton of questions now that I'm done with my first. I loved the training, and I loved the race, so I know I want to stick with it. I just need some vision on how to proceed:

1. I'd like to ramp up over time. So, I am thinking: another sprint in June, sprint in August, Anderson Olympic Rev3 in October, and then (!) Wildflower HIM next May. I've read about the Wildflower and I'd love to be in that event. With the proper training, does this seem like a possible roadmap, or am I being crazy?

2. Gear: I know I need a wetsuit, especially for the Rev3 in October. So, that's a given. It's mostly warm here year-round, and most of the summer races won't even be wetsuit legal, so full length or sleeveless?

3. As for the bike...what should I do? I have a Trek 1.2 that I bought when I started training. I've been reading up on aerobars, etc. and I'm torn as to whether I should just race this season with the Trek and save money for a tri bike, or spend some money on aerobars and possibly a more-forward oriented seat post, still saving for a tri, but further off.

Thoughts?

2012-05-13 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Michael, I'm looking for a 2nd race now. I saw that you've done the Tri the Midlands race the past couple years, would you recommend it? I'm looking for a race in June; I have to go on a trip the 11-19, but I could do that race when I get back. Let me know what you think, thanks!
2012-05-13 3:18 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-lots of good questions.  I'll take a shot at a few.

Tri bike-now I did not follow my own advice here but I would try to get through this year with your current bike.  Plenty you can do to get faster on the bike without purchasing a tri bike.  Some aerobars are a good idea but keep in mind that using those will change your position and to some extent your fit on the bike.  There are many ways you can get faster on the bike for relatively low cost.  An aero helmet at $100-150 will be some low cost speed and something you can take with you regardless of the bike you are on.  Another is good race tires/tubes maybe another $100-150 and if you switch bikes you can take them with you.  You can save a good bit of time with a low rolling resistance tire and latex tubes.  Trade off is they are not typically as puncture resistant and do not provide as many miles.  None of those upgrade is as fun/sexy as a tri bike but perhaps a way to gain some speed a little more economically. Probably the best investment for gaining speed on the bike is to work on the engine...train more.  My first tri bike was a Cervelo P1...classic aluminum frame with good components.  I could still be riding it and it would not be holding me back in anyway.....its still in my garage.......size 54 if you are interested

Wetsuit...I'm on the Gulf Coast so I bought a sleeveless and it has been fine for everything I do that is wetsuit legal.  I bought an Xterra brand and they constantly run good sales. If you plan to do a race within the next year that is going to be a cold water swim then maybe go with a long sleeve?  I suspect sleevless might be more versatile in your area but really just depends.  Michael probably has better guidance given his proximity to you.

Races-I think your schedule looks good. Just don't overdo it.  I did an olympic at the end of my first season and it was something I kind of built my first season toward.  Don't feel that as you become more experienced you have to bump up in distance.  I think that's a natural progression for lots of people but some of the top triathletes in my area focus almost exclusively on sprint/olympic distance.  Nothing wrong with moving up in distance but IM distance isn't for everyone.  Just keep having fun!

Randy

2012-05-13 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randy, thanks for the advice! As far as the bike goes, I'm more than happy (and so is my wife!) with staying with my current bike, I just don't want to sink money into it (aerobars, tires, tubes, etc.) if it's more cost-efficient to just upgrade in the long run. As far as the race schedule goes, I don't have my heart set on IM distance, but I'd really love to do the Wildflower Long Course. I've read about it and it just seems like an amazing event, so Olympic this Fall leading to that just seems a natural fit. 

2012-05-13 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Jaimie- I would also recommend the 2 piece wetsuit by De Soto. I started out with a Blue Seventy wetsuit that is long sleeved. It is a great suit but didn't have as much buoyancy as I needed.

I really like the De Soto suit. The bottoms are bib john style. Then I bought the sleeveless top and a long sleeved top. So depending on the water temperature I can change it out to fit my needs. We also only use our wetsuits between the months of October-May unless it is for an out of state race. I shopped around and got the De Soto pieces on sale. I've also taken a bit of time off of my OWS swim since switching over to the De Soto suit. With the De Soto you could always start with the top that you would need for your "A" race and then add the other one later.

http://www.desotosport.com/products/wetsuits/index.php

BTW- If Wildflower is your dream race then you need to sign up for it. Nothing is better than having a dream or goal race to train for.

Bike-
Stay with your current set up and then work on the engine. If you were wanting to change out the components on the current bike then it would be cheaper to buy a tri bike in the long run. Tubes and tires make a difference. I also only use my "race tires" for races. After the race they come off the bike and wait for their next outing unless they have too many nicks in them.

I would also recommend getting fit for a triathlon bike. Spend the next year "shopping" to see what you want in a bike and your size. Then you can start looking around for a used bike. Go to bike stores and ride the different brands. See which one you like. You'll be able to tell once you start riding them. My roadie (beloved Colnago with Campy) was ridden by a Cat 1 bike racer for 1 season. People are always upgrading or selling bikes for various reasons. Once you know your size and what you want then you can wait for a good deal.

Edited by Catwoman 2012-05-13 4:28 PM
2012-05-13 4:29 PM

User image

Master
Blanda- love the pics! Can I come and live with you???
2012-05-13 6:17 PM
in reply to: #4207441

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Rene, thanks for the advice! I'm looking at the wetsuits now, and I really appreciate the race/bike advice! Laughing
2012-05-13 8:13 PM
in reply to: #4206177

User image

Expert
slornow - 2012-05-12 11:51 AM

Randy

2331!

2012-05-13 8:19 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-Rene makes a good point about getting fit for a tri bike.  Might be worth having a fit done (stack and reach numbers etc.) for a tri bike and then you will know what will work for you.  Tri bike sizes and measurements differ dramatically by manufacturer.  Some provide a more tall posistion while others might be long and low.  Some models offer a good bit of adjustability while others don't.  If you have a fit and know what will work you can be ready if a good deal comes along.  Much better to own a bike that fits than to try to fit yourself to a bike.

I hope I didn't sound like I was trying to discourage you from a run at IM distance.  It is an amazing accomplishment and I may give it a go someday.  There are many people, including several in our group, that have completed numerous IM distance events, but I also have seen people locally that do tris for a year or 2 then do an IM and you never see them do another race.  My perspective on triathlon is more long term....do it until I can't do it anymore or find something I enjoy more.   On the other hand there are people that do 1-2 IM distance events every year and having been doing it for years.  Regardless of the distance of the race enjoy what you are doing.   

Randy  

2012-05-13 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4207657

User image

Master
South Alabama
jimmyb - 2012-05-13 8:13 PM
slornow - 2012-05-12 11:51 AM

Randy

2331!

Excellent.....I'll be tracking you whenever I can. Will be on the road some next weekend with son's HS graduation.  Sounds like a good number!

Randy 

2012-05-13 11:40 PM

User image

Expert

Jaime - congrats to you on your race performance! 

Jason - I will be reading that blog this week during my downtime.  I have to admit that I don't have any discipline that I would say I thrive.  I always want to get faster but regardless of how much I improve there is always going to be someone who will breeze by me. How do you like Ann Arbor?  I grew up there and think it is an awesome city!  Do you ever run in the arboretum?  I hope to mke it over for the Art Fair this summer.

Renee - great job!  I had to drop out of a race on the swim due to an asthma attack.  It was awful.  If I had just had my inhaler nearby.  Lessons learned.

Edited by jimmyb 2012-05-13 11:44 PM
2012-05-14 7:29 AM

User image

Expert
2500 yard swim this morning - done.  Felt really good.  Last long swim before the IM.  Getting very excited.  Just have to get through one more day of work then fly out to Texas tomorrow.  Started packing my gear last night.  It's amazing how much "stuff" I have accumulated over the years.  Jim
2012-05-14 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4207844

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Jim, Love Ann Arbor. I grew up here as well, Pioneer High School class of 89. When did you graduate? We have decided that we are pretty much Ann Arbor folks for life. The only thing that would change that is a move to the Northern Lower Peninsula.

I do some of my Sunday runs through the Arb. Love the hills and being out in nature so close to town. I get lost sometimes......

Where are you at? I read that you were dropping your bike off in Detroit so I figured you must be somewhere nearby. I am taking my bike over to Fraser in a couple weeks so it can make it to Eagleman. It is kind of a pain but it is also a real convenience.

Send me a message if you want to meet for a run or bike when you are in town for art fair. I am always looking for someone to train with-makes it more fun.

---------------------------------

Blanda, Love the pictures. It makes me wish it was 10 degrees warmer here, both the air and the lake water. My daughter was begging to go out to the lake to swim this weekend. I had to explain the concept of hypothermia to her

---------------------------------

Jaime, I worked up to IM distance over four years and have loved every second of it. I will do my second IM this year but think that after this one I will concentrate on Olympic/HIM for awhile.

I would just find a race or event that excites you, sign up for it and train like crazy. It does get addictive--which is a good thing.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 100