BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-06-05 6:44 AM
in reply to: #4244601

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL!
otisbrown - 2012-06-04 8:37 PM

Hey Everyone,

Sorry...  been away for a bit.  Looks like there were a number of successful races.  Congratz to all of you.  

Suzi ... I find that quite amusing.. then I realized that could have been one of my nieces or .. daughter.. ugh.. Surprised

Erin .. way to go on the open water swim... a mile .. holly cow.. 

Steph and Skibum.. I like the training point of view.. anything to helps keep going.

June plans??  A long weekend vaca at the end of the month and nipping all my swimming issues in time for my July races. 

Hey welcome back!! Nipping those swimming issues, I like that!

2012-06-05 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4243155

User image

New user
Stonington, CT

erin1621 - 2012-06-04 11:42 AM Did my first open water swim Sunday!!!!!!! IT was amazing I did not want to get out. I actually ended up doing almost a mile. I felt so at home and relaxed which is why it was such an amazing experience. I had read the night before about all these people freaking out in open water. So my anxiety was defiantly up but the water was really warm and I felt at easy and when I started to loose my form I just laid on my back and absorbed the warm sun shineCool I know the water was calm on Sunday and that it may be different on race day, but my fears are gone! Worse case scenario I just float on my back and fix my chi and get going again.  

Erin- that sounds beautiful, lying on your back and feeling the warm sun shine- the polar opposite of cold, wet, breathless, panic...  Sounds like something worth striving for!

2012-06-05 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4128264

User image

New user
Stonington, CT

Had 2 workouts today.  5am went for a 15mi. bike ride- my friends left without me, I hoped to catch up with them on their path- never did, but had a great run anyway.  Took my first fall on a steep hill- no injuries, just hurt my pride.  

After work, went for fun run at the local bar- beat my last time by a minute!  3.2mi in 32 min!  Felt better doing it this week too- felt even better with the free beer afterward...

Will sleep like a baby tonight!!

Bridget

2012-06-05 9:11 PM

Well, I had planned on swimming in the pond but it was like 55 degrees outside here and rainy today, well, it has been all week really. Hypothermia weather...so I swear to swim until fully saturated on the next nice day.

SO instead I did a 'fun' brick workout: Bike 5 Run 2 Bike 5 Run 1. ---I started the bike wearing shorts, shirt, and my winter hat on. I think I tried to impress another runner on the path and went out too hard on the first mile of the run. Those two miles hurt. Lesson learned. The last run session felt great. Could've gone for another mile and I think I ran faster.

CHALLENGE: Trying to not eat ice cream (my old nemesis) through the whole month of June. Anyone care to join me? 

2012-06-06 7:11 AM
in reply to: #4242522

User image

New user
Miami

First day of Marathon training this morning. Had a beautiful run under a beautiful moon. Just 2 miles... my form focus was lengthening my stride out behind me, chin down, and inhaling through the nose. I believe I found my Chi this morning.

Chi is like Mojo, but before coffee.
-----
"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."
Beverly Sills

Way to Go. Will you be at the hammies  ride this Sunday?

2012-06-06 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4246890

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
skibummer - 2012-06-05 10:11 PM

CHALLENGE: Trying to not eat ice cream (my old nemesis) through the whole month of June. Anyone care to join me? 

Challenge accepted!  From now until June 28th, I will be at the shore that weekend and there aint a snowballs chance in hell that  I wont have ice cream. Laughing

Ice cream is a staple in my house, so this should be interesting. 

2012-06-06 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Many of you have started getting in the open water. YEAH!  I'm hoping to take the plunge this weekend.  I just hope lake Michigan cooperates.  It's supposed to get pretty warm here on Sat and Sun, but when those southwest winds kick up (which brings in the warm air ) it also can cause the annoying phenomenon called "up-welling".  That's where the winds push all the warmer surface water out and the cold water underneath replaces it.  The water temp can go from 70 to 50 in minutes. Don't cha just hate that. Me too, especially since I am the cold water wimp who considers 70 degrees "tolerable".  We shall see.

However, in preparation.  I wore my wet suit in the pool yesterday.  Just to get used to the feeling as the first few swims in it I feel very claustrophobic. Didn't want to be battling that and open water scariness together.  Actually, I have to say I quite enjoyed wearing it in the pool.  Nice and toasty warm my whole swim when usually my teeth are chattering by the time I'm finished.

Now....about this icecream challenge.  Can substitute the icecream for the sugar nemesis of my choice? 

Edited by suzimmer 2012-06-06 12:05 PM
2012-06-06 5:59 PM
in reply to: #4247205

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
garylandry - 2012-06-06 8:11 AM

First day of Marathon training this morning. Had a beautiful run under a beautiful moon. Just 2 miles... my form focus was lengthening my stride out behind me, chin down, and inhaling through the nose. I believe I found my Chi this morning.

-----
Beverly Sills

I might. That's supposed to be my new long run day, but I don't care for the change in schedule... so we'll see. I get so cranky with the changes. It was Run M W F/orSat, and now it's T W Sunday. Grrrr. I am back in the pool with the team on Fridays though, so that's good.

Open water swim last night and tonight. I skipped 'em both. I don't like this weather.

Geez, I sound just generally cranky, you may want to steer clear of me!
2012-06-06 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4248610

User image

New user
Miami
r
garylandry - 2012-06-06 8:11 AM

-----
Beverly Sills

I might. That's supposed to be my new long run day, but I don't care for the change in schedule... so we'll see. I get so cranky with the changes. It was Run M W F/orSat, and now it's T W Sunday. Grrrr. I am back in the pool with the team on Fridays though, so that's good.

Open water swim last night and tonight. I skipped 'em both. I don't like this weather.

Geez, I sound just generally cranky, you may want to steer clear of me!
-----
Beverly Sills

LOL i hear ya about this weather we lost a tree at our house today and spent some time cleaning up the mess. I am feeling like crap (Sinus) and getting tired of sitting around trying to feel better. I am in for my open water swim Sat and the ride on Sunday hope to see ya there..

2012-06-06 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4247279

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN
otisbrown - 2012-06-06 7:52 AM
skibummer - 2012-06-05 10:11 PM

Challenge accepted!  From now until June 28th, I will be at the shore that weekend and there aint a snowballs chance in hell that  I wont have ice cream. Laughing

Ice cream is a staple in my house, so this should be interesting. 

I stopped eating ice cream, but replaced it with rainbow sherbert...have to feel like I am endulging my self some...lol.

2012-06-06 9:37 PM

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN

Been a crazy week so far.  Just updated my training logs. 

Thanks Marcus for keeping me in check.  After 13 1/2 hrs at work today, I sure didnt want to go to the gym.  Kind of felt good to get some of that work stress out in the weight room.  I work at 4am, so going to the gym in the am is out of the question, and after a normal 12 hr day, thats the last place I am thinking about on my way home.  Just got to drill it into my schedual till its routine.

Also, Im trying to watch what I eat.  Not calling it a diet, but changing some of my eating habbits.  I dont count calories or anything, so I am not sure if I am eating enough, or too much.  Example today:  breakfast-slimfast shake and a bannana... snack- was 8oz lowfat yogart and a can of Mt.Dew ( yes, still can not quit that all out yet, but cutting back)... lunch-was a turkey and swiss on 100% whole wheat bread, cup of 5 calorie sugar free jello, some almonds, and a bottle of water...snack-banana and can of Mt Dew...Dinner-grilled chicken breast, a potatoe sliced in 1/4" rings and seasoned and baked, peas, and ice-tea...desert-bowl of rainbow sherbert.

I also started taking Raztone Raspberry Ketone.  Saw it on Dr. Oz and he calls it the #1 miracle diet pill.  It claims to attack your fat cells and increase metabolizim.  They say that just by using it with out changing your diet or exercise you can lose 10 lbs in 28 days.  Well I guess it cant hurt trying.

2012-06-07 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4248927

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
oak73 - 2012-06-06 10:37 PM

Been a crazy week so far.  Just updated my training logs. 

Thanks Marcus for keeping me in check.  After 13 1/2 hrs at work today, I sure didnt want to go to the gym.  Kind of felt good to get some of that work stress out in the weight room.  I work at 4am, so going to the gym in the am is out of the question, and after a normal 12 hr day, thats the last place I am thinking about on my way home.  Just got to drill it into my schedual till its routine.

Also, Im trying to watch what I eat.  Not calling it a diet, but changing some of my eating habbits.  I dont count calories or anything, so I am not sure if I am eating enough, or too much.  Example today:  breakfast-slimfast shake and a bannana... snack- was 8oz lowfat yogart and a can of Mt.Dew ( yes, still can not quit that all out yet, but cutting back)... lunch-was a turkey and swiss on 100% whole wheat bread, cup of 5 calorie sugar free jello, some almonds, and a bottle of water...snack-banana and can of Mt Dew...Dinner-grilled chicken breast, a potatoe sliced in 1/4" rings and seasoned and baked, peas, and ice-tea...desert-bowl of rainbow sherbert.

I also started taking Raztone Raspberry Ketone.  Saw it on Dr. Oz and he calls it the #1 miracle diet pill.  It claims to attack your fat cells and increase metabolizim.  They say that just by using it with out changing your diet or exercise you can lose 10 lbs in 28 days.  Well I guess it cant hurt trying.

That looks great! Once you get rid of the Mt. Dew, you'll be golden. Is it the bubbles? the sugar? the caffeine? When I quit drinking soda-pop I went to seltzer and/or club soda. I do enjoy a glass of ice water, but there has to be more to life than water.... for me anyway. I like bubbles.
2012-06-07 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sorbet. I buy a strawberry, a raspberry, a chocolate, and then add a vanilla frozen yogurt. So I can put a half a scoop of two of them together over a half a scoop of frozen yogurt. Haagen Daz, of course. Sometimes a mango sorbet if there's any at the store. Helps if there is a 2 for 1 sale also.

otherwise it's a pint of ben and jerrys and a spoon, and we just DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE at our house
2012-06-08 6:56 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
OK gang, what's up for the weekend?
2012-06-08 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4251254

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

stephsprint - 2012-06-08 7:56 AM OK gang, what's up for the weekend?

Tomorrow will be a busy day.  Wifey will be gone most of the day so I will be cramming spin class and strength in the AM.  Sunday is another busy day with a birthday party, so I will be up early for my run.. hopefully 8 miles with the stroller. 

What-cha got planned Steph? I think you mentioned some biking and swimming?  Has the weather gotten any better for you?

--Marcus

2012-06-08 3:12 PM

User image

stephsprint - 2012-06-08 6:56 AM OK gang, what's up for the weekend?

Sprint race #2 for me this weekend, SheRox Naperville on Sunday. My nerves are starting to buzz.

Terri

2012-06-08 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4252300

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
awk1987 - 2012-06-08 4:12 PM

Sprint race #2 for me this weekend, SheRox Naperville on Sunday. My nerves are starting to buzz.

Terri

Sweet Terri.. you go rock that thing! Is this your first?

Edited by otisbrown 2012-06-08 3:34 PM
2012-06-08 11:04 PM
in reply to: #4252352

User image

otisbrown - 2012-06-08 3:34 PM

Terri

2nd tri so far.  I hope to rock the SheRox , but 90 degree temps may force some slow down in the bike and run legs. We'll see. My wave starts at 7:45 - and I know for sure I won't be bothering with a wetsuit.   Prepping frozen towels and water bottles tonight.  

Don't know how some of you guys & gals are able train down south. ?

Best to everyone - hope your weekend is enjoyable!

Terri

2012-06-09 6:27 AM

User image

New user
Stonington, CT

stephsprint - 2012-06-08 7:56 AM OK gang, what's up for the weekend?

4 mile run for me- maybe more, I have been keeping up with the 3.2 mi "run for beer" gang on Tuesday nights- want to increase my distance to 6 mi by the end of the month.

HM in September

Burning out from weight watchers- tired of counting points, I am so close to goal that it's killing me.  I'm just concentrating on eating healthy.  

BTW, eliminating ice cream is out of the question!  Not that I eat it that often.  All the local stands are open for the summer, and I love the home made stuff.  

Bridget

2012-06-09 10:40 AM

This weekend needs to get amped up because I took three days off from training this week. Usually I take one or two. I'm trying to find the balance between family and sport. Also, the weather has been awful. It finally climbed to 70 deg. this week but that causes thunder storms.

So I plan on a long bike ride today, MAYBE a swim Sunday and definitely a run. This is all pending that my wife gives me permission, of course.

Marcus: What part of The Shore do you go to? I lived in Ocean County, NJ through high school, and worked at Seaside Heights during the summers. No, I didn't know Snookie.  

2012-06-09 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4252803

User image

Elite
washington state
awk1987 - 2012-06-08 9:04 PM
otisbrown - 2012-06-08 3:34 PM

Terri

2nd tri so far.  I hope to rock the SheRox , but 90 degree temps may force some slow down in the bike and run legs. We'll see. My wave starts at 7:45 - and I know for sure I won't be bothering with a wetsuit.   Prepping frozen towels and water bottles tonight.  

Don't know how some of you guys & gals are able train down south. ?

Best to everyone - hope your weekend is enjoyable!

Terri

Good luck to you!  Have fun!

2012-06-09 6:37 PM
in reply to: #4253038

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
skibummer - 2012-06-09 11:40 AM

Marcus: What part of The Shore do you go to? I lived in Ocean County, NJ through high school, and worked at Seaside Heights during the summers. No, I didn't know Snookie.  

I grew up in Bayville, so I have spent my fair share of time in Seaside.  We now live clear across the state, fairly close to philly.  For our little gettaway we will be going down to Ocean City, MD. 

--Marcus

2012-06-09 10:35 PM

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN

Well I got side tracked the past three days.  Thursday I got talked into being a ref for our church softball team game, so I missed my run.  Friday night was my sons high school graduation ceremony, so didnt have time to go to the gym.  Then today I over slept, felt so good after only getting 4 hrs of sleep every day this week, then spent the day with the kids at the beach then at a festival...and missed todays run. 

So I know life calls and we cant allways make our workouts happen, but it still make me feel guilty when I am trying so hard to make all my workouts.

I have one week till my next 5k.  Thinking of skiping my gym workouts and just focusing on running?  Or should I stick with just my 3days a week running?

2012-06-10 6:49 AM
in reply to: #4253587

oak73 - 2012-06-09 11:35 PM

Well I got side tracked the past three days.... so didnt have time to go to the gym....and missed todays run. 

but it still make me feel guilty when I am trying so hard to make all my workouts.

Thinking of skipping my gym workouts and just focusing on running?  

I would run. One week is not going to diminish your ability as much as you think. Three weeks on the other hand... The most important thing is to not go out one or two days before your race and try to run a personal best. Do some easy runs leading up to your race day. The other most important thing is to realize and embrace how you feel when you skip workouts. As long as you have the motivation and drive to continue after a short hiatus, you have already won. I feel low when I skip workouts, but I know that fire is burning inside and I can stoke it up to full flame from the embers. --ETA--And congrats on the graduation!!!

Got out for a bike ride this morning. Left the house at 4:45AM. 16 miles on a perimeter route around town. My longest ride to date. I destroyed the gear shifter on my bike today though. Now I only have uphill gears. Bike training for me can now be summed up in two words: Hill and Sprints. Who'd of thought that a $100 Walmart bike would only last two years before being useless. Actually, that is 22 months longer than I would have thought. 

Some rest, then a run and I HAVE to go swimming.

Edited by skibummer 2012-06-10 6:53 AM
2012-06-10 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4253587

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
oak73 - 2012-06-09 11:35 PM

Well I got side tracked the past three days.  Thursday I got talked into being a ref for our church softball team game, so I missed my run.  Friday night was my sons high school graduation ceremony, so didnt have time to go to the gym.  Then today I over slept, felt so good after only getting 4 hrs of sleep every day this week, then spent the day with the kids at the beach then at a festival...and missed todays run. 

So I know life calls and we cant allways make our workouts happen, but it still make me feel guilty when I am trying so hard to make all my workouts.

I have one week till my next 5k.  Thinking of skiping my gym workouts and just focusing on running?  Or should I stick with just my 3days a week running?

Ski bummer is right, just take it easy. You know... you only make growth hormone and repair when you sleep. Sleep is actually the most important thing you do. THEN running.

You can't 'make up' workouts so just try to get back on track. 15 -20 mins of running is better than none. Congrats on the graduation!!!

You'll be fine. One thing you CAN control, your diet. How is that going?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  

of 45