BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-01-31 8:01 AM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.
Ken -- check any batteries and also magnet alignment on the wheel & crankarm. If those are off, it would register only intermittently. I'm assuing thats the type you are using.

2013-01-31 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4602410

User image

Expert
kmatt318 - 2013-01-31 7:42 AM

Go Pam.  I am sure you will do great.  

Had a pretty good run yesterday, followed by spending some time with my trainer last night.  I was really frustrated with my odometer/cadence sensor. I rode for an hour and it only registered 30 minutes.  Distance was totally off.  What to do? I was so angry with it.  

Had a good swim this morning.  Will run again today at lunch.  

What are you using? I don't know if it applies but I think maybe the friction between the tire and the flywheel can have something to do with accurate recording as well... ??? 

Am also wondering because I just hooked up my Garmin speed/cadence sensor to my trainer bike and using it with my 405. The miles seem low compared to the perceived effort.

2013-01-31 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey Ken, not sure on the distance since I don't use a cadence sensor or bike computer.  But it seems odd that it would have only registered half of the time that you were spinning.  Did you possibly have auto-pause turned on for outdoor stuff, and then forget to turn it off?  Only asking because I've done it myself.

Samantha, sounds like you are learning lots of good things in the pool, and at just the right time in your training.  Good to refine your already nice stroke before heaping on too much distance.

Nice 5.65 mile run this morning, then last (really) long run is tomorrow.  The early part of this week didn't go as I had hoped, but figuring this is the most key workout to hit.  Probably do 3 loops of a familiar 7 mile route.  This means I will go by my favorite coffee shop....count it...3 times.  Latte, you are dead to me until the end of that 3rd lap, then you are MINE!

Go get 'em Pam!  Hope you have a great race weekend!!!

2013-01-31 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4602854

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
I am also using a Garmin 405.  It's frustrating.  I am going to change batteries and reduce the tension.  I hope that's it.  

Carol, I love a good latte as well.  Kudo's to you for being able to run laps.  If it's not a race, I cannot do multiple laps.  I get too bored and give up.  I force myself to run a big loop or an out an back.

I know that I have WAY to many questions but Steve, do you think it's important to have a Vo2 Max test done?  My tri club is thinking about getting someone to come an do them on site.  Just wanted opinions. 

Edited by kmatt318 2013-01-31 2:57 PM
2013-01-31 3:47 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ken, I think you can get close enough for training purposes to set up your HR zones.  I think we get pleanty of info from a garmin hitting current HR and pacing info.  I am sure if we were talking podium at Kona we would have little air suits with wind sensors and bike fit in a windtunnel, with aero wheles and ultralite tire tubes....... but this is a hobby and none of us here are fast enough that it will make a difference in training.  To run faster, you run lots, and faster at times (speedwork) up hill at times (strength work) and you can monitor your HR to evaluate fatigue and effort.  To bike faster you bike lots, fast often, tighter focus on HR when on trainer.  Swim you get a swim coach and learn the right form then swim lots, hard at times.  8).
2013-01-31 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Quick driveby post.  We have been at a baseball dinner all night (setup for an hour before) and I'm tanked.  But I wanted to tell all of you darling people thank you for the good wishes!!!!!  I love you all and I will think about you during the mary.  Don't expect a blazing time like Ken's but I'm just ready to "get 'er done" and then move on to tri training.  A 4:45 would make me happy but I suggest it will be longer.

Joe, congrats to your daughter on her swim meet!!!

Jay, 50 pound weight loss for your wife?  That is amazing!!!  That is a lot of hard work and dedication.  Congrats to her!

Steve, so sorry that it's taking longer to get back up to speed but you really are doing great.

Samantha, glad that the swimming is coming together for you.

Carol, wow, that is awesome to get a free entry for volunteering. 

I'm not trying to ignore the other posts but I swear, I gotta go to bed.  We have so much baseball in the next few days, the mary on Sunday, and a party for neighbors (at the same time as the Super Bowl.  Drats.) so it may be multiple days til I can really read the posts.  But thank you all again for the beautiful wishes.

2013-01-31 9:28 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Go PAM lets see a negative split 8).... well have fun you can finish it no problem even if it might not be  PR. 

Lets see those numbers for bad or good. If you do not have more miles than me you are wrong *).  This looks like a fairly solid week worth of training.... for the month.  A pretty low bar for next month.

January's totals:
Bike:5h 38m 20s  - 110.6 Mi
Run:7h 25m 05s  - 33.7 Mi
Swim:2h 54m 13s  - 7600 Yd

2013-02-01 6:05 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I've been quiet this week.  Been getting slammed at work and then we lost power for almost a day.  Hasn't been a stellar week on the running front, but getting the other things in as best I can.  Things should improve next week now that many deadlines have passed with the end of the month.

Samantha, isn't it wild about how one side can be so much stronger than the other?  I remember discovering last year that I had a 25% power differential on my left side vs. right on the bike (with one footed drills).  Have been trying to slowly improve my strength on the left.  In OWS it is especially important to get that ironed out as it can have an impact on how straight you go naturally.  We automatically compensate in the pool thanks to that black line, not so much in OWS.

Hey, one other thing one the swim stuff (and thanks about the swimming / golf thing - that was new to me).  I think it is important that we don't think of it as stroke cadence vs. gliding.  Ideally you have a fairly quick stroke with good glide (e.g. quick and smooth).  The coaches may be emphasizing one or the other based on where you are, but you shouldn't be thinking that you are giving up the other to achieve the goal.  That is, if your coach is asking you to speed up your turnover, don't lose your smooth stroke for a choppy one just for the sake of higher turnover. 

Anthony, we are tentatively aiming to do the Rev3 in Knoxville... so I look forward to meeting you in person.  Sounds like you have a fun week planned!  This will be my first "destination" Tri - I've always just done local ones that I can drive to that morning.  Are you doing the OLY or the HIM?  I think it will only be the OLY for me.

Pam, good luck in your race this weekend!  Here's hoping for good conditions for you and that you reach your goals for the race!

Here are my January numbers.  Happy with the swimming (especially since I pretty much started mid-month) and strength.  Just building the base on the run according to plan.  Bike - really need to clear out the mudroom so I can get the trainer set up.  Also lost 4lbs.  Was doing well there until this week.  Did some sliding due to stress, lack of time, and trading lunch salad bars for lunch meetings.  It happens.  Just get back on track.

January's totals:
Bike:8h 39m  - 118.1 Mi
Run:9h 56m 18s  - 58.7 Mi
Swim:5h 19m  - 16126 Yd
Strength:6h 32m

Have a great weekend everyone!

Stu

2013-02-01 6:30 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Here's my pathetic showing. Most of this was the second half of the month when I started my training plan. February will be MUCH MUCH MUCH better. Sadly I'm having some motivation issues, and I don't know why. I'm also struggling with feeling good, and have had lingering stomach problems for a couple weeks. Bottom line is I need a big dose of HTFU and have to get my pathetic rear-end moving.

January's totals:
Bike:3h 21m  - 58.39 Mi
Run:5h 07m 31s  - 32.79 Mi
Swim:4h 11m  - 15550 Yd
Boxing:1h 00m
Core Training:1h 30m
2013-02-01 6:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Yikes!  Looking at these numbers makes me feel crappy!  I'm having issues with my bike again   I woke up before work yesterday to train for an hour...a few minutes into it, my back tire stopped spinning and down to the floor I went.  I can see that the back tire is warped...what I don't know is how THAT happened.  I'm working 2nd shift tonight so I'll drop it off at my triathlon store to get it fixed and get my bike tuned up while I'm at it.  Silly question; in the interim, should I use the bikes at the gym or is that a waste?

January's totals:
Bike:3h 43m
Run:1h 53m 19s  - 12.47 Mi
Swim:3h 40m 36s  - 8400 Yd
Basketball:2h 00m
Racquetball:1h 15m
Stair Running:

20 min

2013-02-01 7:10 AM

User image

Expert

GM everyone. I did a long run last night that didn't feel so good. :/  When that happens I worry about dying during my race next month.. lol. I might finally understand the word "bonk".

January's totals:
Bike: 24h 46m  - 273.3 Mi 
Run: 19h 26m 30s  - 94.4 Mi 
Swim: 7h 10m  - 19300 Yd 
Strength: 50m 

2013-02-01 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4603874

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
KateTri1 - 2013-02-01 7:10 AM

GM everyone. I did a long run last night that didn't feel so good. :/  When that happens I worry about dying during my race next month.. lol. I might finally understand the word "bonk".

January's totals:
Bike: 24h 46m  - 273.3 Mi 
Run: 19h 26m 30s  - 94.4 Mi 
Swim: 7h 10m  - 19300 Yd 
Strength: 50m 

Kate, that is an awesome month.  Great job. 

January's totals:
Bike:8h 46m 41s  - 156.04 Mi
Run:13h 07m 33s  - 104.25 Mi
Swim:3h 12m 34s  - 8750 Yd

2013-02-01 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey all!  Great to see the numbers rolling in this morning. 

I detect a trend. Those who are good at swimming...they actually swim

Steve, you've been doing exactly what you need to do. 

Mike, seems like your family had a stomach bug, maybe some residual from all that? 

Kate, I had several of those bad run moments earlier this week.  We will both bounce back stronger, mentally and physically. 

As for me, it's quite simple.  I ran...that's about it:

January's totals:
Bike:2h 30m 52s  - 37.73 Mi
Run:33h 13m 01s  - 197.34 Mi
2013-02-01 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Oh, and for those doing the crunch challenge....time to move up to 60/day.  Starting TODAY!
2013-02-01 8:39 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois
?

Pam, Best wishes for your Mary this weekend! Sounds like even when you aren't running you are still running here and there staying busy. Enjoy all the baseball, parties and of course the mary.

Nice training everyone! Mine isn't quite as impressive.

January Training Totals:

Bike:2h 25m
Run:2h 08m 30s  - 14.5 Mi
Swim:23m  - 3300 Yd

I did train more, but I failed my goal to log my training better. Looks like I will have to really get into the crunches and logging my training. A new month means a new chance to reach the goals set. Good luck everyone!

Jay, congrats to your wife! 50 lbs is very impressive and takes a lot of dedication and life changes to achieve.

Stu, my wife and I have been talking about a trip to Tennessee for the last 4 years. I guess signing up for Knoxville Rev3 was a way to put the trip on the calendar and really get the ball rolling. Plus Knoxville is a cool town and there is lots to do in the area. I will be doing the Oly. Right now I just like going fast. Short, pedal to the metal races are my thing. We'll see if that changes in the upcoming years.

Happy February everyone!

2013-02-01 5:52 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Jay if you are on a spinning bike, you are probably fine at the gym, if you are ona  junky cheap bike simulator thing... it is better than nothing but not really the same.  That said, when I am out of town I ride the junky thing and move my bike workouts around those days if possible. 

Carol those are some sweet run miles..... Lets see 4:10:00 with something left in the tank or a 4:05:00 with nothing left.  You will be suprised how that many miles will help you hold that faster pace.  If I were you I might start at a 4:00:00 pace and see what happens.  If you blow up meh you can walk some.  You are in good enough shape though to make a massive PR no matter what you do. 

Each month we put up numbers.... and compare to ourselves....  It looks like most of us will have more miles in Feb than in Jan.  Beating one's self up is not all that productive and leads to the .dark side... er the couch.  It is just a chapter in the book, each day we write a new page and move forward.  I think the expression is that one can not throw a rock into the same river twice. 

2013-02-01 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran

Carol - The time on the swimming coach is perfect, and I'm always amazed at God's faithfulness to take care of small details. Steve is layin down the Mary law for you, so now you know you can pull off one heck of an awesome time...Steve said so. haha. How was that last REALLY long run?

Stu - You are so right about how wild it is to realize the difference from one side to another. I still laugh every time I think about my left side trying to swim...would've never guessed that. I'm taking your experience with the bike as a reminder to make sure both sides are strong.

Mike - Sorry about the lack of motivation. I struggle with that often and know how terribly frustrating it is.

Jay - Those are crazy bike issues. I hope your LBS gets it all figured out and up to snuff. Yeah for your wife!

Kate - Great totals for January! And you are not gonna die during your race, I promise . Keep up the mileage and you will finish and feel good. Take it from me who did my first HIM in September and am clearly alive today.

Anthony - yes, every day/month is new. Yesterday is only a memory. February will be a good month!

Pam - Excited to hear about your race!

January's totals:
Bike:15h 27m 34s  - 220.39 Mi
Run:4h 06m 25s  - 22.14 Mi
Swim:5h 43m 30s  - 12750 Yd

My totals reflect the beauty of a slow build, and a little bit of my struggle with motivation. It's all good, right! February will see some mileage increase. Ran a 10 minute mile today, which is cool. Took yesterday off to spend with friends from out of town. Two runs, a bike and a swim on tap for the weekend to complete my recovery week. Monday I will begin build phase number two. 

Happy weekend to everyone!

2013-02-01 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Steve is a wise man. Thank you.
2013-02-01 11:34 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Kate, walk me through your day for your run that tanked.  It was the 9 mile run in 1:52:xx?  So for that run you are looking at 200 to 300 calories.  If you experienced a lot of fatigue with your build throw that in.  Let me know if there were any differences in your routine, like biked before, missed breakfast, didn't sleep well, edge of or recovering from a cold etc.  Your HIM is pretty far out still ... so my guess is a cold... didn't fuel right... or cumulative fatigue or all 3 at once.  All of those will be fixed with time and recovery/taper.... or adding in more calories or whatever.  I think you will be fine for your HIM if you keep your build going.  So lets get this anxiety about the run quashed 8).

A bonk looks like this, increased respiration rate, decreased heart rate, increased perceived effort, massive decrease in speed, slight lightheadedness, feeling like you are running in quicksand if running, nightmare can't go any farther run slower than walk pace.  On the bike it feels like you might want to get off and push the bike as you are having trouble maintaining enough speed to stay upright, you are coasting alot slung over the handlebars like one of those westerns with the gunshot guy trying to stay on his horse as it walks into town.  Decision making is not good, tunnel vision is high, thoughts of taking a nap in a wet muddy ditch seems more inviting than anything else you can think of in the moment, if ya die meh not a biggie at least you could stop.  It can also feel like you are falling asleep while running, blinking longer, running with your eyes closed, head nodding.  This can even happen when swimming.  Almost falling asleep while swimming is an odd experience, very sureal.  What is more common is just running with a massive fatigue load that makes you just feel like crap the whole way after the first mile.  It is a bit similar with higher percieved effort, slower, pace, lower HR than percieved effort, but no hyperventilating, not as much tunnel vision, and just the desire to walk rather than acually lie down in the wet grass or snow next to the road for a 3 day nap.  Anyway more info... 8).

Edited by Baowolf 2013-02-01 11:46 PM
2013-02-02 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Fresh off 1.5 hours on the trainer is a great way to start a Saturday. I feel great, and I had some time to figure out what is going on and its just a matter of having so much happening outside of tri stuff its nearly overwhelming. We are doing some major house renovations which kick into gear tomorrow, work is getting crazy busy, not feeling well much of the time, and letting it all stress me out makes Mike an unhappy boy at times. Amazing how a good workout clears the mind. Now time to get ready for the day and take my youngest to her basketball game. Have a great Saturday everyone!!
2013-02-02 12:22 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Take care of you Mike. Races will always be there, sometimes the hobby needs to take a backseat fora  while.  Although it is a good way to blow off some steam.  Have a bad day at work, go out and run LT+ for 5 miles and then you have less to worry about... other than remmebering where your bed is 8).

2013-02-02 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Had a great 18 mile run today.  Felt great and no cramps.  Then went to an Endurance (MultiSports) Expo today.  Lots of great information.   It was a good to see my tri friends.  
2013-02-02 6:18 PM

Blairstown, NJ

Good luck on the races everyone. Weather here has taken an icy turn. After the 50 degrees and rain, the temp dove below freezing and roads are very ice in spots. So more indoor training.. ehh. Still getting in some good workouts even if Jan totals are low. Still plenty of time before mid May sprint.

Bike:2h 02m  - 28.44 Mi
Run:3h 18m 52s  - 19.35 Mi
Swim:4h 28m  - 10200 Yd

2013-02-03 8:50 AM

User image

Expert

Well that was dumb.

I decided to get up and do my long bike ride in the early morning. I bundled up Florida style (I think it was 30F) and took off. I felt pretty ok until mile 9 and then I noticed my feet were getting kind of cold. Two miles later and I was in agony. I took my bike shoes off and tried rubbing them. It didn't help much. I tried to solder on for another mile or two, but then I decided that it was time to accept my poor judgement call and head home.

On the way back there was a slight cold head wind. This succeeded in freezing most of the rest of me so that when I got home I was a total mess.

After soaking my feet in warm water and taking a hot shower, I'm still shivering a bit.  

2013-02-03 3:29 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

30F = indoor trainer 8).  If you are determined to bike in it, you need wool socks, hole in shoes taped shut, neopreme shoe covers, and lots of layers of stuff, thermals, kind of like a down hill skiing set up, windproof tights, full downhill ski gloves, full facemask, with windcover over the top of the helmet, thermas to keep water from freezing or camelback under your jacket with neopreem hose cover... etc. 

So today was an experiment, jogging against a 2 mph current in my pool with water at chest to shoulder deep.  May have cooked the calves a bit, but the knee was fine with it.. for 5 miles ish. I ran in the vibrims and well my feet may have never been this clean.  A bit sensitive.  We see how the calves are tomorrow. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52