BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-07-28 8:10 PM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

2ed in AG!!!!

3rd in AG!!!!

You guys are Beasts!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

off to read race reports to see what I can learn from you hot shots!!!

2013-07-28 9:03 PM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
2013-07-29 3:32 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by Jigger

Race report is up.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

congratulation Scott!
2013-07-29 7:05 AM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
awesome job on all your races this past weekend, beasties!!
2013-07-29 7:14 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by soccermom15

I hope everyone who had a race this weekend did well!  Sorry I didn't get on sooner to wish you luck.  Been having some computer problems at home and work has been too busy to log in.  I was finally able to get caught up with my log today.  Looking forward to some race reports!

I need an opinion or two.  Right now my plan calls for 3 bike workouts a week - one shortish (around 55' right now - usually done on either Tues or Wed), one medium (around 1:15 - Thursday) and one long (around 1:30 - weekend).  I can usually get both the shorter one and the long ride in during the week, but I'm having trouble getting the medium one in.  I'm thinking about splitting it into 2 days - I'd do 45' one day and 30' the other.  So the basic schedule would look like this:

Mon - medium run
Tues - 55' bike
Wed - short run
Thurs - morning swim/45' bike
Fri - 30' bike
Sat - long run
Sun - long bike/swim

This leaves me with no days off thoughFrown, and I'm not sure that's a good thing for me.  Wednesday is a short run which is usually around 30' so it's not a hard workout but not exactly a day off either.  The other option is to make Wed an off day, do the short run on Thur morning, and move the swim to Friday morning.  Unless someone can see a better option.  I'm open to suggestionsSmile.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Janet

I would just get the bike in on Thursday (if that is the best day).  Make it a short one.  Take Friday off.  Don't worry about the total time over all.

2013-07-29 2:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Another training question for you more experienced ones:

Next week is a rest week for me. Same schedule but volume of everything is lower.

A actually have slacked a little on my volume (by missing a bike, run, not shortening) the last 2 weeks.

So my run volume is what I am asking about. I am trying to build volume (10% per week). 

I run 4 runs a week SMWF (long run, med, med, short)

Last week I ran:

3.50, 2.7, 2.7, 2 (these are distances

this week I run:

4.20, 3.30; 3.30, 2.5

So next week on my rest week it is:

2.30, 1.8, 1.8, 1.4

So next week on rest week should I drop my run volume as listed above or just keep it the same as it is this week and then increase the following week???

I don't want to loose what i have built. My legs are sore today good sore.

Edited by Evergreen 2013-07-29 2:58 PM

2013-07-29 7:56 PM

User image

Well training (at least running) might be put on the back burner. Went into my daughters room and accidentally kicked her wooden stroller. I know your asking Why would i do Such a silly thng i guess getting 3rd in my age group made me feel a little bt of an iron man Didn't think to much about it until I came back in from cutting the grass and now that toe is purple and swollen. Hopefully it's not broken and just bruised. Been icing 20 min on then elevation.
2013-07-30 6:36 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Ouch Scott!!  Nothing like a dumb injury to really make you frustrated you can't train!!  I swear that's what pinkie toes are for, for finding objects in the dark!!  Hope it's just bruised or maybe that it doesn't hurt with shoes on and you can still run??

Melody... I'd keep my run distances the same or maybe just drop them a little bit?  Keep the long run the same but maybe drop the others a couple of tenths...  Dropping volume on the bike and the swim should help give you a little energy to maintain your run distances.  Just my thought, and then increase the following week...

2013-07-30 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by Evergreen

Another training question for you more experienced ones:

Next week is a rest week for me. Same schedule but volume of everything is lower.

A actually have slacked a little on my volume (by missing a bike, run, not shortening) the last 2 weeks.

So my run volume is what I am asking about. I am trying to build volume (10% per week). 

I run 4 runs a week SMWF (long run, med, med, short)

Last week I ran:

3.50, 2.7, 2.7, 2 (these are distances

this week I run:

4.20, 3.30; 3.30, 2.5

So next week on my rest week it is:

2.30, 1.8, 1.8, 1.4

So next week on rest week should I drop my run volume as listed above or just keep it the same as it is this week and then increase the following week???

I don't want to loose what i have built. My legs are sore today good sore.

x2 on what Hilde said.

2013-07-30 9:44 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Congrats racers!  Nice to see folks on the podium.

I am taking a rest week of sorts.  Schedule of various things are interfering with training times.  But I am feeling very good overall and think a step back week is in order.

My little 20-30 minutes of light strength work every weekday is paying off.  I think I have been at for about 4-5 weeks now.  No drop in weight but definitely have a different shape.  Pants fitting better and I am feeling fitter.

Looking forward to some good training over next two weeks to solidify gains prior to Iron Girl.  I just looked at the swim waves.  This year my daughters will start before me (about 30 minutes ahead).  I will have to work really hard to catch them!  Haha.  If their training works for them...they will be cheering me on at the finish and not visa versa.

2013-07-30 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4724462

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Ohhh I don't want to hear about dropping weight and clothes fitting different - I'm at the Mellow mushroom waiting on a pizza....

2013-07-30 7:54 PM

User image

Good news my toe is not broken. Went for a swim felt fine and I've been walking on it all day with no issues. Now to decide if I'm going to sign up for the race on Monday ( Canadian holiday) August 5. Siouxlookout Triathlon. Signed up for Thunder Bay Mile with the Giant race 22nd September running half marathon.

Edited by Jigger 2013-07-30 8:42 PM
2013-07-30 9:29 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee
Hi gang! Just a drive by to put up my race report. I won my division, Athena 40-99. Granted I was the ONLY athlete in that division but I finished and won the dang thing!
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=248...
2013-07-31 7:32 AM
in reply to: shadow67

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Another recipe I stumbled across.  This one is my new morning drink - at least for a few more days.  From Wellness Mama.

Prep time
2 mins

Cook time
1 min

Total time

3 mins

A delicious and creamy coffee that packs a powerful nutritional punch!

Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Drinks
Serves: 1

Ingredients

Instructions
  1. Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Mix 

2013-07-31 7:54 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Melanie, how funny, I'm having "Fat Coffee" as Melody calls it as I read this!  First time... unfortunately I tried to froth it with a hand held mixer and half the coffee came out of the cup onto the counter!  Need to find an easier way to mix it up!  It was good though, and I'm headed out for a run, so we'll see how it is energywise...

Shad, congrats on your 1st place win.... a first is a first, and I've been the only one in my AG too... I couldn't get to your race report, have you made it public?  There's a button at the bottom to do that, otherwise I think we can't get to your draft.  Can't wait to read all about it! (Edit...nevermind, I got to it somehow, but I couldn't get your link above to work... nice race, I left a comment on the RR)

Scott, I say go for it if your toe can handle it... always fun to do a spur of the moment tri!!

Edited by Hildebeast 2013-07-31 8:00 AM
2013-07-31 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Originally posted by hoffsquared

Another recipe I stumbled across.  This one is my new morning drink - at least for a few more days.  From Wellness Mama.

Prep time
2 mins

Cook time
1 min

Total time

3 mins

A delicious and creamy coffee that packs a powerful nutritional punch!

Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Drinks
Serves: 1

Ingredients

Instructions
  1. Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Mix 

This is exactly how I have been drinking my coffee (minus the butter and the vanilla, so I guess not exactly) and I love it!!

I love the Wellness Moma Site. She has a homemade sports drink recipe also.

In other news.. Panara Bread for lunch and Mellow Mushroom pizza for supper = scale up 5 lbs overnight!!! Cry

Edited by Evergreen 2013-07-31 7:57 AM

2013-07-31 4:46 PM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Evergreen

Originally posted by wrkinprogress Race report to come, folks-- apologies for yet another drive-by post! Short version is I finished, though hardly in PR time: oceanic swells on the swim (seriously- - I saw more people clinging to kayaks than I'd ever seen before, and saw one woman in my wave turn around and swim back to shore in pure panic), a bumpy bike (but no accidents involving yours truly, yay!), and a HOT run (second lap cooled down a bit, but make no mistake-- the people handing out ice at the aid stations were my favorites EVER). Add the anemia tedium to the mix and you have me happy to be a finisher in 7:12! Will wait for another year to worry about PRs, methinks. Then I got into the car, drove home through insane stop-and-go traffic for hours, picked up dinner fixings and COLD BEER on the way, showered, did laundry, and planned out packing for the next part of Alex's Month Of Four Weekends In Four Different States (And Three Time Zones) before conking out. Monday, got up and packed before catching a flight to NYC at 1:10. Got tiresomely delayed getting in to my hotel so was ravenous for dinner when I did finally arrive, and as a result slept badly before starting a week of intensive theatre workshops today. So it might be a while before I have the mental power to write up the race report...sorry about that. I seem to have recovered well from Racine, though, as I got a workout in this morning before the workshop and will continue to do so while I'm here... More whenever I can find the time and stray brain cells, I promise! *cheers all you Beasties on*

Never mind, I don't have a RUSH lifestyle- Alex does!!!  4 weekends on 4 states!!! You GO girl!!

Don't scare me!!! I have an ocean swim on my next tri  in October and playing at the beach last week was a huge wake up call for me on how much harder ocean swimming is- TIPS APPRECIATED!!! 

One question: Do you use different goggles for ocean swim than pool and other swims? Its so much rougher out there, I cant imagine mine not being swept off my face.

Hi Melody-- I ended up using my regular goggles, and they worked pretty well, with only a bit of water getting in as I ploughed along. They're TYR Orions, but I heard from someone at the race that they've discontinued them, sigh... If you can, try your goggles out in the ocean beforehand-- if there's a problem, you'll have time to test-drive some others before race day. Hope that helps!
2013-07-31 4:57 PM
in reply to: wrkinprogress

User image

Expert
Hi everyone! Flew in from NYC after the week of workshops yesterday, and I drive 10 hours to visit my family in Canada tomorrow...so this will be brief (BUT-- I should have internet access at the cottage-- my, how times have changed!-- and thus should be able to update logs and keep up with all your racing brilliance from there!). Needless to say, my place is a disaster area.

But the good news of the day is that I got a swim in this morning, and somehow my time was the best one I've had all season! Still not breaking any speed records, natch, but it felt GREAT to realize that I hadn't been plodding along and the 2500 felt good-- I could have gone longer with no problem, but I figured 2500 was enough before breakfast... The brick after breakfast was pretty good if not stellar-- still, I'll take any improvement I can!

Off to get more stuff ready to pack in the car... a race report will be up soon, promise! In the meantime, GO, BEASTIES, GO!!! *cheers you all on like crazy*
2013-08-01 4:36 AM
in reply to: wrkinprogress

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
An Alex drive-by!  And of course she is off and driving somewhere new!!  I'm sure the workout hoarding will be on her logs soon!  Good to hear from you Alex, hope you get some downtime at the cottage!
2013-08-01 8:30 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Hey Beasties! I'm getting packed and ready to drive to New York with my 3 kids this afternoon for my first Oly race this Saturday. My husband is staying back in MA for a restful weekend of golf (sigh). We're staying with my parents who will help with the kids while I race.

Sorry I have not been posting here as much as I'd like lately.... Training for this race has been so challenging, especially the LONG weekend bricks (about 3.5 hours long - seems a bit excessive for an Oly, no?)! I can't imagine how people train for a HIM or IM!!! I can't wait to have this race behind me and just focus on running for my HM in September!

I learned a valuable lesson this season... if I want to train for a longer tri, it's best for me to race early in the tri season so I can get most of my training done during the school year. Our summer schedule has been so crazy and I have had such a struggle with fitting my training in without feeling guilty or like I'm sacrificing quality summertime with the kids. I'm sure things will get easier as the kids get older and more self-sufficient. I just don't have enough "down time" these days, haha!

Sorry for the vent session, but you all are always the best "sounding board"! I'll post back on here after the weekend to let you all know if I survived the Oly!
2013-08-01 8:39 AM
in reply to: kpringle

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by kpringle Hey Beasties! I'm getting packed and ready to drive to New York with my 3 kids this afternoon for my first Oly race this Saturday. My husband is staying back in MA for a restful weekend of golf (sigh). We're staying with my parents who will help with the kids while I race. Sorry I have not been posting here as much as I'd like lately.... Training for this race has been so challenging, especially the LONG weekend bricks (about 3.5 hours long - seems a bit excessive for an Oly, no?)! I can't imagine how people train for a HIM or IM!!! I can't wait to have this race behind me and just focus on running for my HM in September! I learned a valuable lesson this season... if I want to train for a longer tri, it's best for me to race early in the tri season so I can get most of my training done during the school year. Our summer schedule has been so crazy and I have had such a struggle with fitting my training in without feeling guilty or like I'm sacrificing quality summertime with the kids. I'm sure things will get easier as the kids get older and more self-sufficient. I just don't have enough "down time" these days, haha! Sorry for the vent session, but you all are always the best "sounding board"! I'll post back on here after the weekend to let you all know if I survived the Oly!

Good luck on your OLY!!! I know you will do great!!!

2013-08-02 5:20 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Good luck Kristen!I will have to look up the Wellness Mama sports drink.Today is a rest day of sorts again. Just the bike commute. Lunch with friends. This has been lunch week. Office potluck, staff lunch, and now lunch with some other colleagues. It is nice to share a meal with folks every now and again.
2013-08-02 9:05 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Good luck to Kristen on her OLY tomorrow!!  And to Michelle doing an International Distance (I think that's also an OLY?) on Sunday!!

I leave for vacation tomorrow and will have to rely on my iPhone for internet access, so don't know how much posting I'll be doing till I get back, BT is a PITA on my phone!!  So everyone have a GREAT week, I can SEE your logs even if I don't inspire, so no slacking while I'm gone!  I'm taking running stuff and swim stuff and hope to not be a total slug, and will be back in Texas on Aug. 12th.  REALLY looking forward to getting away and hope hubby doesn't pull his normal "freaking out about going on a trip" crap he usually does, takes him a coupe days to calm the *F* down...

2013-08-02 3:42 PM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hilde - have a great vacation!  Sounds like a fun time, especially BMG - I'd love to see them sometime.

Kristen & Michelle - good luck with your races this weekend!

Took a couple of unscheduled days off this week - not feeling well (dizziness/stomach was "off"/no energy) but I'm feeling a lot better now and am hoping to get all of my workouts in.  It's a cutback week so I think I can still get them in without cramming too much together.  I'm thinking about doing a 5 mile race Sunday morning.  I've done it the past couple of years and usually it's unbelievably hot, even at 8 am.  This year the temps will be upper 60's with a chance of rain, so pretty good running weather.  The only reason I'm hesitating about signing up is because I haven't run more than 4 miles (and that was only once - last weekend) in quite a while, most of my runs have been 3 miles or less.  I'd use it as a training run, not really a "race".  I'm curious to see how I'd do in a race situation though.  Guess I'll see how I feel Sunday morning.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Janet

2013-08-02 4:50 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Expert
Have a wonderful holiday, Hilde-- YAY for the last moments of freedom before school begins (said as a fellow teacher!)!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend-- get out there, have an amazing time, and let your Beastie flags fly!

Got some training done today, including an OWS in the lake, yay-- all before the threatened rainstorms came, yeeha. Am hoping tomorrow's a bit better weather-wise, as I've a 5.5-hour bike followed by a 1.5-hour run brick session on the plan for the day...

Hope you all have wonderful weekends!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29