BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-26 1:28 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Just catching up...

Happy belated bday Rachel!

So cool to swim with sea creatures! I've done a few training swims in Maui. Once I was joined by a turtle and once by a little ray!

Sorry about the crash Randy! Glad you are okay!

I'm beat. This past week has been fairly intense and high volume. Thursday I did a 3hr double run and yesterday had a 155km ride with a 5km run. I have a brick to try and get my body in gear for today and then tomorrow I start to rest for both Honu and IM France. I just want to sleep. Lol.

2013-05-26 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4757184

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randy, so sorry to hear about the wreck! I'm glad you're pretty much ok, and I'm sorry to hear about the wheel being busted! Whenever I'm riding it seems like there are always a couple times where I think, "Oh, if I hadn't seen that, I would've wrecked." Nate and I did our ironman Raleigh 70.3 practice ride yesterday and really enjoyed it. It is a great course, and I'm pretty pumped for the race. I'm also excited about TAPER WEEK!
2013-05-26 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Wow, Randy, sorry to hear about your crash, but I'm really glad you are okay! I've never really thought about a Road ID until recently. I think I'll definitely look into it harde now.
Came up here to Raleigh with Jamie to preview the HIM bike course. Really nice course! Beautiful ride and nothing too tough. Just rolling hills which we are pretty used to back in Greenville. We finished our long run this morning and are now enjoying the camping and are ready for next week's taper!
Everybody stay safe! Randy, heal up quickly!
2013-05-26 4:36 PM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Calgary, AB

Race report is up for my half marathon....

Scott. 

2013-05-26 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Great job, Scott! Congratulations on you first half marathon!
2013-05-26 6:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Scott, great job on the HM! That is an awesome race!

Does anyone have an opinion they can share on a bike. Saw this on Craigslist 3791418038
It is a 2007 Trek 1000, seller says 1,000 miles on it. They are asking $600.
I am currently riding a hybrid cheapo.
I would like to get into the road bike arena but am pretty clueless as to what to get. I don't mind a used one at all.

Any input would be appreciated.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/bik/3791418038.html. Here is the link to the listing.

Edited by Chunga 2013-05-26 6:31 PM

2013-05-26 6:37 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by Chunga

Does anyone have an opinion they can share on a bike. Saw this on Craigslist 3791418038
I would like to get into the road bike arena but am pretty clueless as to what to get. I don't mind a used one at all.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/bik/3791418038.html. Here is the link to the listing.

NOT a good deal. The bike retailed for $679 new in 2007 according to bikepedia. . A 10% discount for a 6 year old used bike is not a good deal. You can do a lot better.

2013-05-26 6:58 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

New user
Originally posted by Stuartap

Originally posted by Chunga

NOT a good deal. The bike retailed for $679 new in 2007 according to bikepedia. . A 10% discount for a 6 year old used bike is not a good deal. You can do a lot better.

Stuart, thank you I will keep looking.
I didn't know about bikepedia I will check that out too.
Thanks a lot!
Mary
2013-05-26 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Mary I went through this process last year. I was routinely checking both Craigslist and ebay. I knew what frame size I would need by talking with a fitter from a local store. I had a budget in mind so it was easy to narrow down what I was looking at. Once you have done it a while you will get a very quick idea what are good deals and what are not.

I ended up getting a 1 month old 2012 all carbon road bike. It was $3100 retail that the seller paid $2700 for (he included in the paperwork his receipt). I paid $1750 delivered. It took a few months and a few times not getting a bike I would have liked on ebay but I had a budget and stuck to it. It did take 3 months but I was not in a hurry.

Watch the postings and use sources like bikepedia. Also check out local and online sales. Often women's bikes are discounted more than men's. Keep at it and you will find what you want at the right price.
2013-05-26 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Scott, congrats on a great race! It sounds like it was a really great day!
2013-05-26 10:18 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

New user
Ok so I promise not to hijack our groups forum with used bike price questions constantly but here is one more.
Is there a rule of thumb for % of discount per year of age.

For instance I saw one on Craigslist. http://memphis.craigslist.org/bik/3774452528.html,2011 womens trek Lexa SLX.
When I checked bikepedia, (thanks Stuart) for the tip, it retailed new for $1,319. Seller is asking $1,200, says it has 350 miles on it.

Do you guys look at a certain amount off for age or some other guideline?

Thanks and no more examples from me!

2013-05-26 11:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Mary I think it comes down to if its a good deal for you. Personally, for a two year old bike I would be looking for more than 10% off. I did a quick search and found this site http://bikebarn.com/m/product/12trek-lexa-slx-c-130882-1.htmwhich had a new 2012 for $1150 on closeout.. You would need to add shipping but it would be new. Just a thought.

If you have a budget of $1200 I think you will have a lot of options. I resisted the urge to jump at a bike in my desire to get a real road bike and off my 37# mountain bike. Very glad I did. That said, if its a bike that fits you and you will really enjoy, you will ride it more. That is best outcome.

2013-05-27 7:11 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
South Alabama

Mary-no problem looking at the bikes. I would be looking for alot more that 10% off for a used bike.. Whatever you do make sure you get the right size. If it doesn't fit an expensive bike will be just as uncomfortable as a cheap bike. Check at your local bike shops (LBS) and see what they have witihin your budget. Most LBS will include a fit, some more thorough than others, with the purchase of a new bike. They can also help you find the right geometry. Some bikes are built for racing while other very sporty looking road bikes have a more comfortable geometry. Another thing that is important is the size of the crank set. Compact cranks have become very popular and I had no idea what they were when I bought my first bike. I would avoid a "triple", 3 rings,  on the front as my personal opinion is that they are hard to tune well. Of course, you are likely to pay more for a new bike at a LBS but you have a much better chance of getting the right bike for you.

There are several key items that will typically drive the price of a bike:

1) Frame material-a full carbon frame/fork will cost more than an aluminum frame which will typically be more expensive than steel frame. Carbon is suppose to be lighter and absorb more of the road than aluminum making for a more comfortable ride. It will be difficult to find a full carbon frame bike at a LBS for less than $2000. I think the best bang for the buck out there is a good aluminum frame with a carbon fork and possibly a carbon seat post.  Thats what I had with my first road bike. A Specialized Allez. I still wish I had that bike...I realize what a great bike it was and I think I paid $1100 for it at my LBS with Shimano 105 components.

2) Components-you will probably be looking at SRAM or Shimano. They are both good but the SRAM shifts just a bit differently than the Shimano. I have always used Shimano but there are people that swear by SRAM. There are many different component levels within each manufacturer.

SRAM-for less to most expensive is Apex, Rival, Force and Red

Shimano-less to most expensive is 2300, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and DuraAce

All of the components groups these days can provide a smooth effortless shift. I have never used SRAM but if I were buying a new bike with Shimano components I would try to get 105 or better components. I have had many mechanics tell me this and frankly the only difference between some of the upper level groups is the weight. Here again a well tuned 2300 set will shift better than a poorly tuned DuraAce group. This is another spot where the LBS can help get the bike set up and tuned correctly. Many of the LBS here wiill offer free tuning for X amount of time after you buy the bike.

3) Wheels/tires-don't worry about this. If you buy an entry level or enthusiast level road bike they will all have similar wheels and tires. These are easy to swap out later if you want a lighter/better set.

Conclusion-I'm all for saving money but keep in mind that the bike you buy from an individual will likely need a tune up. Unless you are a good bike mechanic the tune up will need to be done at the LBS and will cost you more money. If you do buy from an individual or online the LBS will usually be happy to work on your bike as they make $ from service work. However, many LBS will give priority to those that purchased bikes at their shop. If you are going to be a regular cyclist, in my opinion, one of the most important things to do is establish a relationship with a LBS that you like. Also, little things like a couple of bottles of wine at the holidays or a nice six pack of beer for the mechanic or some homemade cookies/cake will endear you to the folks there. You don't have to do it everytime you take the bike in but a showing of appreciation is always welcome. Find a shop where you like the people, they a not snooty, and genuinely seem interested in helping you.

Don't you ride with a group from a LBS periodically? If so, that might be a good place to start. Sorry so long. I'll be online alot today as I'm still laid up so don't hesitate to post your questions....or you can send me a PM if you like. Always fun to look at bikes      

2013-05-27 7:24 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Mary-sorry, one other thing. If you do look to buy from an individual I would be "aggressive" in my negotitions. It is a buyers market. All they can say is no. Consider the asking price to be a very high starting point...be prepared to walk away. Try to be patient....not my best quality in these types of situations. When I decide I "need" something I get pretty obsessive. With that said, if its a good deal, the right fit, in good shape and you still have the $$ in your budget to get it tuned up then......

The bike you Stuart linked looks like a solid bike for the price. Aluminum frame, carbon fork and 105 components. If you do deal with a LBS you can try to negotiate a bit. But, for most new bikes the profit margin is fairly low. Many LBS will give you a discount on accessories.....pedals, shoes etc when you buy them with a new bike. So, if the LBS won't negotiate on price maybe you can get a deal on new pedals, helmet, gloves......  Don't be intimidated. They are in the business of selling bikes and making money. I was given a piece of negotiating advice many years ago that I never forgot. "You don't G-E-T unless you A-S-K."

Keep us updated.  

2013-05-27 7:28 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
When I started looking for a bike this spring, I scoured the internet/Craigslist/BTclassifieds for what I wanted. In the end, though, purchasing through my LBS was the smartest thing I did.

By purchasing through the LBS I get the bike tuned FOR FREE as long as I own the bike, and I got the bike fit to me at no cost. Tomorrow I'm taking it in to have the backs of the aerobars chopped off (so that my knee doesn't hit it anymore) since we've gotten my position pretty much where I want it). Won't cost me a dime.

You might see if any LBS have any leftover 2011 or 2012 models hanging around. They might make a good deal on it just to get rid of old inventory. My bike is a 2011 model, and although the bike shop was having a 20% off sale, I reminded them that the bike had been in their inventory for 2 years and it needed a home. They dropped the price even more.

If I had purchased the bike online, I would have had to pay $100 to tune it and another $150-200 for a bike fit. Plus, every time I needed it tuned, more $ out of my pocket.

Edited by glfprncs 2013-05-27 7:29 AM
2013-05-27 7:33 AM

User image

Woo-Hoo!  Time to celebrate!

Randy--I definitely wear my Road ID all the time.  For me, I think it is better than the driver's license or cell phone.  I'm epileptic and it lets people know it in case I am out cold on the side of the road.  It also can outline any drug allergies you might have.  well worth the $20.

Long run done, skipping a bike to go have lunch with some friends.  Wine tasting tonight.  The Holiday Weekend continues.  Enjoy it!

I wear my Road ID all the time as well. I have a penicillin allergy and I also have a medical condition called Factor V Leiden which means I have a higher risk of throwing a blood clot that the average human. I have both my husband's cell # and my sister's cell # on it.

2013-05-27 2:09 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Veteran
Denton
Bikes .... if you want to buy a cheap Triathlon bike look for the Kestrel Talon. I bought the bike in January of this year for $1400 from my local bike shop. Its a full carbon bike and has 105 components. I also get a free tune-up when needed for free. Those are the perks of buying at a LBS and you also support the local economy. 
2013-05-27 4:23 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

New user
Hi guys, thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to my bike purchase questions.
This is some great information for me to consider as I make my decision. I really appreciate the replies!

I still have to successfully lobby for the new bike at home. I keep getting reminded of how my bike was new last summer and I have invested in alignment, new wheels etc...... I am working on that part.

I really like the idea of supporting a LBS in my area. The tune ups and commitment to their customers make a lot of sense.

Once I decide I will share, with pictures!

Mary
2013-05-27 4:27 PM

User image

Champion
It's TAPER TIME! TAPER TIME! I love TAPER TIME!

5 days till Honu 70.3 and 28 days till IM France!

Easy swim in the ocean today since the pool is closed and a short tune up run this afternoon once it cools off.

I LOVE taper time!
2013-05-27 5:50 PM

User image

Master
Excellent, Scott!

It's the Tues after holiday Monday. I always feel like I have some kind of hangover after long weekends, even if I don't drink.

My swim was very motivating. I'm looking forward. A friend and I are talking about the Half IM in the Philippines, August of 2014. Today I have hill repeats on the bike.

Enjoy your extended weekend.
2013-05-27 6:41 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Aw Randy that sucks - sorry about your crash Glad it wasn't worse.

Mary - keep up the good work! 41 miles is nothing to sneeze at!

Blanda awesome swim! I hope I'm as at home in the water as you are when I hit the open water swims!

Suzy - so glad to hear you are feeling better Also, like you I wear my roadID all the time - seriously, I sleep with it and it doesn't leave my wrist.

Tay - I've never seen a Garmin track from Ireland! Very cool! Looks like a mostly flat ride.....except for the END! EEK!

WAY TO GO SCOTT!! Crush that goal! WOOT and I read your race report. I love how your wife signed you up for it!

Melissa - Keep up the good work. I know it's going to pay off. Happy taper!

I had a really good weekend. Threw down 6miles on the treadmill on saturday (rain and cold here) and I listened to one of my new podcast subscriptions (thanks for the tip) so the time went by fast. No problem on the run but yesterday and today my leg has been achy so I'm taking another day off from running. Swim definitely tomorrow and bike - maybe if I can get out of work early enough to join the group.

I have my first open water swim practice on Wednesday if can get my wetsuit in time (don't ask LOL).

Other than that - 4 day work week ahead and then it's BikeMS next weekend and then the weekly TRI series starts. WOOT!!

Have a good night all.

2013-05-27 7:04 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by slornow

Everyone-sounds like a good training day yesterday. Good job.

Blanda-2.5 mile swim. That is phenomenal. Can still remember when you were trying to get from one end of the pool to the other. Really impressed with your accomplishment and determination.

Dave-funny but right after...like as soon as I sat up, I thought....OK so I fianlly crashed.....it was just a matter of time. Good luck with the 10k today.

Suzy-the helmet is scrap as it is cracked all the way through the styrofoam liner in several places. Will head to the LBS for a new one on Tuesday. So glad I went to the doctor and had xrays done as my shoulder/neck gave me fits last night and I would have been worried about a broken collarbone.

I have thought back about the crash alot since yesterday. I was well into a hard interval, going about 23-24mph and close to my  turn around spot. Had just passed a string of cars that were parked off the right side of the road which is unusual for this road. I think I missed the visual clues that I usually rely on to remind me of the depression in the road. Or, I may have been checking my Garmin or grabbing a water bottle....just don't remember why I didn't see it.  Looking back at the minutes afterward I think I hit right lower body. right shoulder/back and then head. I was a little foggy for a minute or two after the crash. Even though it was not a direct hit the helmet took alot of impact. I would never ride without a helmet and am certain that without a helmet I would have suffered a serious head injury. No matter how short the trip or slow the ride...put that helmet on! My wife is now threatening to make me wear one on the rollers in the garage. Have to admit that in hindsight I was very lucky. Thanks for all the  well wishes.

Today will be more couch time and trying to clean up some of my gear. It was my first ride in my new tri shoes. Pretty, white and comfy Specialized Tri Vents. My firs new bike shoes in 3+ years. They got all scraped up and now look like my "old" tri shoes. Will be online looking for a front wheel replacement. Not how I want to be spending money right now but better than wasting money in the hospital

Have fun today everyone. I didn't need mine yesterday but if you don't have a road ID for when you run/ride. GET ONE!

I have been out of touch. Randy, glad to hear that you are going to be ok. I certainly couldn't do this without you

I think I have heard something about Zipp having a crash replacement policy for original owners. It might be worth talking to you bike shop about it.

I had a pretty spectacular crash in 2011 that I discussed with the group. I walked away with a broken finger and a bad case of poison ivy. My crash came because I stopped paying attention for just a couple seconds. Live and learn.

I had a great weekend of biking and running in Northern Michigan. It is so nice to get off the trainer for a couple rides. I am convinced that if I could train at my Northern home full time I would be a different/better triathlete. It is triathlon training heaven-except the lake water is still too cold for me to swim in. It needs a few more weeks to warm up to tolerable.
2013-05-27 7:04 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by slornow

Everyone-sounds like a good training day yesterday. Good job.

Blanda-2.5 mile swim. That is phenomenal. Can still remember when you were trying to get from one end of the pool to the other. Really impressed with your accomplishment and determination.

Dave-funny but right after...like as soon as I sat up, I thought....OK so I fianlly crashed.....it was just a matter of time. Good luck with the 10k today.

Suzy-the helmet is scrap as it is cracked all the way through the styrofoam liner in several places. Will head to the LBS for a new one on Tuesday. So glad I went to the doctor and had xrays done as my shoulder/neck gave me fits last night and I would have been worried about a broken collarbone.

I have thought back about the crash alot since yesterday. I was well into a hard interval, going about 23-24mph and close to my  turn around spot. Had just passed a string of cars that were parked off the right side of the road which is unusual for this road. I think I missed the visual clues that I usually rely on to remind me of the depression in the road. Or, I may have been checking my Garmin or grabbing a water bottle....just don't remember why I didn't see it.  Looking back at the minutes afterward I think I hit right lower body. right shoulder/back and then head. I was a little foggy for a minute or two after the crash. Even though it was not a direct hit the helmet took alot of impact. I would never ride without a helmet and am certain that without a helmet I would have suffered a serious head injury. No matter how short the trip or slow the ride...put that helmet on! My wife is now threatening to make me wear one on the rollers in the garage. :) Have to admit that in hindsight I was very lucky. Thanks for all the  well wishes.

Today will be more couch time and trying to clean up some of my gear. It was my first ride in my new tri shoes. Pretty, white and comfy Specialized Tri Vents. My firs new bike shoes in 3+ years. They got all scraped up and now look like my "old" tri shoes. :) Will be online looking for a front wheel replacement. Not how I want to be spending money right now but better than wasting money in the hospital :)

Have fun today everyone. I didn't need mine yesterday but if you don't have a road ID for when you run/ride. GET ONE!

I have been out of touch. Randy, glad to hear that you are going to be ok. I certainly couldn't do this without you :)

I think I have heard something about Zipp having a crash replacement policy for original owners. It might be worth talking to you bike shop about it.

I had a pretty spectacular crash in 2011 that I discussed with the group. I walked away with a broken finger and a bad case of poison ivy. My crash came because I stopped paying attention for just a couple seconds. Live and learn.

I had a great weekend of biking and running in Northern Michigan. It is so nice to get off the trainer for a couple rides. I am convinced that if I could train at my Northern home full time I would be a different/better triathlete. It is triathlon training heaven-except the lake water is still too cold for me to swim in. It needs a few more weeks to warm up to tolerable.

Ahhhhhh. The dreaded double post :)

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-05-27 7:05 PM
2013-05-27 11:08 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Expert

No training action for me this weekend. Spent the last 2 days with my nieces and nephews. Plus just bought my lucky son a new car for graduation (quite a difference from the $750 1971 rust bucket Camaro I owned at his age).

I had a very interesting bike fitting this weekend. Went in with my Cervelo P3 and will be coming out with a Shiv Red w/ SRAM components. I am not surprised as I have been looking a the SHIV for quite some time. Anyway, it will available for pick up in a week or two. Will try to upload pictures if I can figure out how to. I have to catch up on the weekend's forum activity. Right now, however I need to suppress the excitement of my new purchase and get to bed as I work early tomorrow morning. Jim
2013-05-28 7:03 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

I had such a great weekend! The weather was gorgeous for all kinds of outdoor tri things. Yesterday I did a bike and run on our local Greenway trail, and it was like triathlon central. I met so many new people from the local tri club.

Did an open water swim in the afternoon in my wetsuit. It was an experience that was 1000 times better than 2 weeks ago when I couldn't even manage to swim 100 yards without wanting to spit out my left lung. Swam about 800 yards non-stop and even passed one of the 'veterans.' One of the girls is training for IMFL, so I'm going to start doing one of my weekday rides with her as it's a short ride for her (30-40 miles), whereas it'll be my longer training day on the bike.

When I trained for my marathon, I was totally on my own, and I was okay with that. I have to admit, though, it's been really nice meeting people who have been so welcoming. I'm enjoying the comraderie and like how riding and swimming with others pushes me to be better.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88