General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2015-09-11 9:21 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
when it comes to tri tops I like 2xu and zoot. Zoot been way better for me at 6'6" 325 lbs. It hides me gut while 2xu rides up a bit over it.

2015-09-12 10:04 AM
in reply to: dag5306

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by dag5306
I should have been posting in here constantly, its very motivating to see other big guys get after it.
It IS a great group for motivation, isn't it. I happen to be very visual-oriented. I find that logging my training log and watching the calendar fill up with colored squares also really helps my motivation. I notice you aren't logging your training there. You are welcome to swing over and look at my training log/calendar to see what I mean. It's actually a good month for it too because I have workouts, sports days, and rest days all indicated so far this month. No strength workouts yet, but there will be some next week. Just click on my user name, then click on "Go to training log".

I also created a Challenge for September, if you are interested.
2015-09-12 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by chirunner134

when it comes to tri tops I like 2xu and zoot. Zoot been way better for me at 6'6" 325 lbs. It hides me gut while 2xu rides up a bit over it.
What size?
2015-09-12 10:07 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
8/20 - Walk - 1h 22m 48s - 4.50 miles - 18m 23s /Mi

It started to rain, quite literally, the second I stepped out the front door. I walked anyway. It stopped raining sometime in my 3rd mile. That's about the time I noticed my MMF app was not logging the gps route. I had planned to do a long, slow walk around the River Rd today. It was VERY difficult to keep myself from launching into racewalking mode. But I held to a steady walk pace and just persevered. The other really hard part was to stop at my house after the 4.5 and not just add the Hillside Dr loop to bring it up to a 10k. It's probably just as well. I should have eaten breakfast before I left. I could feel my energy dissipate and bonk around 3.5-4 miles. That last half mile was a real struggle. Also, one bike bottle is not enough to walk that route. It was weird, not one single car passed by on the entire walk.
2015-09-12 7:11 PM

I just linked my Garmin Connect to my training log, it didn't add today's workout to it so hopefully it will work automatically download after today. I guess I will find out tomorrow. Today was a run day for me I just finished 4.5 miles in 50 mins. It was warm out, not as warm as it has been in Houston but 86* and humid made the run no fun lol. I tried to smile the entire time! Tomorrow I have a 1.5 hr bike ride so hopefully it will show on the training log here.
2015-09-13 5:40 AM
in reply to: dag5306

User image

Yardville, NJ
Ran (sort of) 16.25 yesterday. Longest run ever. I ended up with horrible cramps in my calves after mile 14 and walked most of the last 2 miles. 4 hours is a long time to run alone and lots of things go through your head. It's amazing how things ache or bother you at one point and then go away and get replaced by something else. I truly believe a marathon is as much mental as it is physical. It's a struggle, but I'll keep plugging along. 18 on tap for next weekend.

2015-09-14 8:18 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
It's Monday and I'm the boss again this week, so I'm going to keep it short. You gotta love all the vaca you get after almost 20yrs... that is unless you're the guy covering the shifts...

Weight: 255

Swim: Nope (not surprised)

Bike: 1 ride, 52.00 mi. Longest ride to date. I also performed better than I had hoped. Shooting for 15.0mph avg and came out with 15.66. The last 3-4 miles were agonizing... even with a killer tailwind. Side note: Wardrobe malfunction. The crotch in my tri shorts gave up the ghost. Can't complain as it's been almost 2 years and they've been doubling as my cycling shorts as well. Also, no Sat ride due to scheduling...

Run: Rewind to week 6 of c210k a success. I decided to quit pushing for the 50mi run/walk challenge for the month, and just run the program. 2 more weeks until the 5k portion is done again and then the training time jumps immediately by 14 mins... oh yeah, I'm waiting for this... ugh.

Mmmmmkay... This week's plan is to get in 1 swim (looks like Thurs PM), both bikes (already got yesterday, and it was short and chilly), and complete week 7's 3 runs. Keeping the diet clean would help too...
2015-09-14 9:13 AM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Mfechter67

Ran (sort of) 16.25 yesterday. Longest run ever. I ended up with horrible cramps in my calves after mile 14 and walked most of the last 2 miles. 4 hours is a long time to run alone and lots of things go through your head. It's amazing how things ache or bother you at one point and then go away and get replaced by something else. I truly believe a marathon is as much mental as it is physical. It's a struggle, but I'll keep plugging along. 18 on tap for next weekend.

Good job. I ran 18 this weekend myself thought I think it was more like 17.5. I shut off gamin for awhile and was told to turn around a little early. Hang in there nice thing only a few more times at that distance and your done. :
2015-09-14 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Mfechter67 Ran (sort of) 16.25 yesterday. Longest run ever. I ended up with horrible cramps in my calves after mile 14 and walked most of the last 2 miles. 4 hours is a long time to run alone and lots of things go through your head. It's amazing how things ache or bother you at one point and then go away and get replaced by something else. I truly believe a marathon is as much mental as it is physical. It's a struggle, but I'll keep plugging along. 18 on tap for next weekend.

Good work! I bet you are pretty proud of yourself now. I disagree. I think marathon is way more mental than physical. Minds are scary, scary things

I hate you got cramps. Are you getting electrolytes in?

2015-09-14 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Mfechter67 Ran (sort of) 16.25 yesterday. Longest run ever. I ended up with horrible cramps in my calves after mile 14 and walked most of the last 2 miles. 4 hours is a long time to run alone and lots of things go through your head. It's amazing how things ache or bother you at one point and then go away and get replaced by something else. I truly believe a marathon is as much mental as it is physical. It's a struggle, but I'll keep plugging along. 18 on tap for next weekend.
Good job. I ran 18 this weekend myself thought I think it was more like 17.5. I shut off gamin for awhile and was told to turn around a little early. Hang in there nice thing only a few more times at that distance and your done. :

great work!

2015-09-14 9:45 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Workouts last week were pretty good. I got my runs and bikes in, though I am just riding rather than actual "training". I need to get some actual training rides in. I am stuck on week 5 of c25k, even when I go longer. I know I can do more, I am just mentally lazy. I am going to change that this week. I missed my long swim this week and all but one of my strength training. This week I will get at least one swim in, all my biking and all my runs and EVERY one of my strength training in. That is really the most important at this stage. I need to build up some muscle and it helps to burn fat way more than aerobic training.

2015-09-14 3:13 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by ceilidh

Good work! I bet you are pretty proud of yourself now. I disagree. I think marathon is way more mental than physical. Minds are scary, scary things

I hate you got cramps. Are you getting electrolytes in?

I thought I was ok with electrolytes and hydration, but probably not. I was using Nuun, Gatorade, Hammer gels, and Sport Beans.

I ordered Tailwind last week and it arrived today, so that's what I'll try on This weekend's 18 miler. The people on the MCM page swear by it and say they don't use anything else since switching to it. We shall see.
2015-09-14 3:13 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Originally posted by Mfechter67

Great job on the 18! I hope to be able to say that this weekend
2015-09-15 8:43 AM

User image

Good to see that all of you are still plugging along!

I ran into my old cold-weather nemesis last night: Dry, cracking skin on my feet. The only thing that even remotely helps is Vaseline and Prayer... I've applied both liberally... I did get through my run last night with moderate discomfort and just a little bleeding. I'm thankful that it's in the arch on not on the heel, because that is an immediate run stopper!
2015-09-15 9:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by WebFootFreak
I ran into my old cold-weather nemesis last night: Dry, cracking skin on my feet.
Rick, you are going to think my shoes are laced too tight, but try it before you snicker and disregard. Go to a Tractor Supply Company or other farm supply store. Buy a green cube tin of something called "Bag Balm". I guarantee that daily application will cure that for you.
2015-09-15 9:17 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak Good to see that all of you are still plugging along! I ran into my old cold-weather nemesis last night: Dry, cracking skin on my feet. The only thing that even remotely helps is Vaseline and Prayer... I've applied both liberally... I did get through my run last night with moderate discomfort and just a little bleeding. I'm thankful that it's in the arch on not on the heel, because that is an immediate run stopper!

OUCH! Keep that vaseline on. (Though, that could make for tricky walking )

2015-09-15 9:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa
Originally posted by WebFootFreak I ran into my old cold-weather nemesis last night: Dry, cracking skin on my feet.
Rick, you are going to think my shoes are laced too tight, but try it before you snicker and disregard. Go to a Tractor Supply Company or other farm supply store. Buy a green cube tin of something called "Bag Balm". I guarantee that daily application will cure that for you.

That is wonderful stuff. I have been using that for years for "gardener's hands". It works. I had forgotten about it, good save, Aquaman.

Edited by ceilidh 2015-09-15 9:19 AM
2015-09-15 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Okay, chime-in with any suggestions you may have. I'm "talking out loud" here, brainstorming if you will.

Drafting my Annual Training Plan (as per Friel) was easy, and very beneficial since it showed me unplanned gaps in my schedule. My Weekly Plans, on the other hand, are giving me absolute fits! I subscribe to the theory that while a triathlon is swim-bike-racewalk, there are actually four disciplines that one needs to train for. Based upon everything I have read, and my personal experience, I believe that strength training must be included in my regimen. ETA: And I know that I train better if I know ahead of time what workouts I have to do in a given week or on a given day. I don't do nearly as well when I wake-up and ask myself, "Well what shall I do today."

Even if I only plan for TWO workouts in each discipline, that is still going to be EIGHT workouts a week. Which means that I will have to double up at least two days a week to schedule a rest day. However, at my age and weight, I believe I would really benefit from scheduling two rest days per week. So that means I would be doubling up at least three out of five days a week. And if I want to focus on my greatest weakness (racewalking) I should be doing THREE workouts in that discipline each week. Now I am up to NINE workouts in five days, or four doubles.

Balancing that plus work and any kind of normal life seems pretty impossible to me, unless I suddenly officially retire and simply pretend that triathlon is my job. That's one of the reasons this month's challenge was only to score 20/30 workout days, to build consistency. I figure by the end of September I should have established the "workout habit" and hopefully they will have become priorities in my life.

I am toying with the idea of developing a 3-week split rotation where I can score all 27 workouts in 18 days, allowing for 1 rest day per week, then on the recovery week drop down to maybe only 5 or 6 workouts that week. Or maybe just doing four doubles, then a rest day, four doubles, then a rest, and so on. Any suggestions on how to fit this all in? I'd like to have it "finalized" before the end of September, when my training will start for real.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2015-09-15 10:02 AM
2015-09-15 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by ceilidhOUCH! Keep that vaseline on. (Though, that could make for tricky walking )
Shouldn't really be a problem walking, as long as he stays out of pumps and stilletos.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2015-09-15 10:05 AM
2015-09-15 12:34 PM

User image

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by WebFootFreak I ran into my old cold-weather nemesis last night: Dry, cracking skin on my feet.

That is wonderful stuff. I have been using that for years for "gardener's hands". It works. I had forgotten about it, good save, Aquaman.

I quoted this one since it has all the pertinent info...

I must admit I've never tried Bag Balm... I have used Udder Butter before to no avail... are they similar?
2015-09-15 12:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by ceilidhOUCH! Keep that vaseline on. (Though, that could make for tricky walking )
Shouldn't really be a problem walking, as long as he stays out of pumps and stilletos.

Yeah, but they show off my calves and glutes so well!

2015-09-15 12:37 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak
Yeah, but they show off my calves and glutes so well!

It's a trade off, Man.

2015-09-15 12:48 PM

User image

Okay, chime-in with any suggestions you may have. I'm "talking out loud" here, brainstorming if you will.

• I'm not privvy to your exact schedule, but I am assuming that you work the "normal" 9-5 M-F. Tossing together a quick 2/2/3 plan with 2 strength sessions and 1 rest day isn't too hard with that schedule. The 2's can be kept on opposite days as well:

Sun: Swim & Long Run
    Mon: REST
    Tue: Short Bike and Strength
    Wed: Short Run
    Thu: Swim
    Fri: Short Run and Strength
    Sat: Long Bike

The only real hiccup I can see is that your long bike and long run would be back-to-back days.... But that is generally because the "normal" schedule allows for extra time on weekends... I'm interested in this because I'm in the same lake... I need a sustainable 1/2/3 plan w/2 days of strength

Edited by WebFootFreak 2015-09-15 1:00 PM
    2015-09-15 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Nisbet, PA
    Rick, I've never heard of Udder Butter. I grew up raising and milking dairy goats, baling hay all summer long, and shoveling stuff all winter long. We always used Bag Balm on the girls and just from that my girlfriends were always jealous of how soft my hands were. I never had blisters or calluses because of it.

I've been fighting with the schedule all afternoon, without success. I was planning long bike and walk for the weekends, for just the reasons you said. I'm thinking about putting my rest day on Friday, right in front of them. Then I can do a swim on Monday to rest the legs.

Cindy wants to start making the gym a regular Tu/Th event. Now I have to try to schedule workouts around her interests as well. Hmmm, dreadmill and Expresso bikes?
    2015-09-15 6:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Nisbet, PA
    9/20 - Bike - 20m - 4.25 miles - 12.75 Mi/hr
    Took all I had to go to the Y after school today. Wish I knew what I have done to my lower back. Could barely bend over to tie my sneakers. Went upstairs and attempted to use a recumbent bike, figuring it would be easier on my back. It might have been too, if the darned thing didn't keep re-setting itself to use Level 25 effort. Killer! Switched to one of the Expresso bikes and managed to ride two trails for a total of 4.25 miles in 20m. Better than nothing. Then went and soaked my back in the hot tub for 10 minutes, followed by the sauna for 15 minutes, and a gentle walk into the pool. Was too sore to even contemplate taking a shower, just dried off and rode the motorcycle home.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 37

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
    Views: 56522 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by BikerGrrrl
    Views: 69674 Posts: 1113

2013-12-30 2:13 PM Fechter99

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
    Views: 8970 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614

Athena group vs. Beginner Triathlete group

Started by Tri-Ro
    Views: 2636 Posts: 6

2008-09-03 10:34 PM Artemis

Love Being an Athena/Clyde [Newbie] Because

Started by TriAya
    Views: 3743 Posts: 25

2007-08-16 1:45 AM Iron_Gus
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : February 13, 2005
    author : JeremyLikness
    comments : 9
    Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?