Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2007-05-25 12:51 PM
in reply to: #641608

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: COgirl's Group - FULL

Tapering....I knew I was forgetting something. 

Many people will say that you don't need to do this for a sprint, but definitely avoid hard workouts or sprints and intervals shortly before a race!  However, in your first season, I think it is a good idea to do a bit of a taper.  Take it easy the week of the race, and sit on your butt the day before the race.  And avoid hanging out all day at the race expo the day before in the hot sun   Plan in advance, pack up in advance and try to get a good night's sleep! 

2007-05-25 1:11 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Heather, the products that I know of that do not contain maltodextrin besides Clif Shots are: Honey Stinger gels, Sharkies, and Sport Beans.  So if you get tired of the Clif products, you could try these!
2007-05-27 10:18 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Happy Memorial Day Weekend everyone. Hope you all are doing something fun!
2007-05-31 6:38 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Hello from NC!  It has been awesome here.  Warm, sunny, no rain. 

How is everyone? 

2007-05-31 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

Are you going to come visit us in Charlotte?  The weather has been great for awhile here.  We haven't had rain in a long time.  I think it's not going to rain until this weekend sometime and he said it would probably rain at night.  How long are you in NC for?

Mel 

2007-06-01 8:17 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

I'm in Duck (OBX) and leave tomorrow.  Barely even a cloud all week here!  Headed home to CO tomorrow morning.  There was a huge hail storm at the Denver airport the other day and our car is at an off airport parking lot.  Hopefully it is ok!

Is training going ok?  What is the next race for everyone?

2007-06-01 10:57 AM

User image

MotoQueen
We went to Duck two years ago and loved it. Hope you are enjoying it as much as we did.

My next race isn't until August. I might need to find something between now and then, but between work, weddings & tennis, my weekends are pretty booked between now and then.
My daughter and grandsons (and her hubby of course) are moving to California in mid July, so what free weekends I have between now and then (2) are being spent with them.

I'll just have to live vicariously through everyone else's races in the meantime.
2007-06-01 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

I've never been to Duck or OBX before even though I've lived in NC for almost 17 years. I've heard it's really nice.  I'm glad the weather was nice for you.

Kendra, I'm sorry your daughter & her family are moving so far away.  I know that is going to be really tough for you.  My parents moved from Cape Cod to CA last year to live closer to my brother and his kids.  I haven't seen them as much as I did before.

My next race is coming up on Sun. June 17th Latta Plantation Tri (Sprint).  Heather (countregirl) is also going to be doing it and we are going up there this Sun to bike the route.  The race actually starts at 6:30 am b/c of traffic in the area the police requested the early start time.  We'll be starting the race half asleep!

After that I'm going to do my first OLY on Aug. 4th Lake Logan in NC.  It is located in the mountains but they said the bike and run are both flat.  It looks like it would be a good first time OLY race.

Hope everyone is having a good one! 

Mel 

2007-06-01 1:17 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Mel,

We've known it would happen. Her hubby is a captain in the Army and one grandson was born in California, the other in Arizona. When they came to Agusta Georgia, three years ago this coming Nov, we knew it would only be for about 3 years. I'm sad to see them go, but then again, it will give me another place to travel to. I know I'll be heading out to visit come January for she is expecting baby #3.

Thats great that you are getting to do the race together. Go Girls! The Lake Logan one sounds great. My race is the following weekend, so I don't think I could do both. I go up to NC a lot to the Ashville area. My sister is in Madison and my dad in Swannanoa. Have a friend in Charlotte that I should be able to visit with again once the grandsons are across the country. Kids! They do get in the way of social lives, but who's complaining? Not me.
2007-06-01 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Mel- That is so neat that you and Heather are doing a tri together. Did you all know each other before this mentor group or did you meet through this group? My next race is the Danskin sprint tri in Austin next weekend. I am REALLY looking forward to it since I am going down with a group of about 8 women and we are staying two nights in Austin without kids! YIPEEE! We are going to shop on the way down on Friday, eat out, sleep late on Saturday, shop and eat some more and then the race will be Sunday morning. I have not ever done this race before, but have heard it is a great event. I don't know all of the women that are going, so I am looking forward to meeting some new training partners. My good friend, Angela (yoblondie), is going with me. She and I trained for a Hal mary last Feb and she just did her first tri a few weeks ago. I am so glad to find other women friends who are interested in doing tris. Some people just think you are nuts when you mention the sport!

Does anyone else have good friends that do tris with them? Do you all like to train by yourself or with a group?

2007-06-01 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi girls

I see that Mel wrote that we are doing the tri together however I think that she will be WAY past me on the run!!! As I plan on run/jog/walking with my bad hip! My goal is to simply finish it

Texmom- many of my "friends" think that I have lost my marbles this past year training to do this race! It has not been an easy journey---along the way I have met some incredible people! I train with a masters swim team and for the past several weeks I joined a Wed night road ride----mostly women. I started this journey with Team in Training in mind. My 50 year old aunt was diagnosed with cancer last year and I talked about it extensively (training for a tri) with her. She was supportive and encouraging. She died on March 7th. I promised her I would do this and get my butt healthy. The results from the past six months have been amazing.... I have lost 75 pounds...and I am on my way to a healthy BMI, I feel 10 years younger.

I would not be able to train alone---I am too social LOL....

There are obstacles to this sport mostly time and $$$$ The stuff you need is way expensive!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Heather

2007-06-02 2:55 PM

User image

MotoQueen

My hubby & sister did my first tri with me. it was their first also. We had a lot of fun. I have another friend who is signed up to do the one in August with me. I also did the half mary in New York with her and will be doing the Las Vegas one with her.

My training is mixed. I have a group of friends that I walk with. They are the ones who have the goal of doing a half marathon in each state. So i walk with some of them usually once a week. The biking I do with my husband and the swimming is pretty much on my own. I can't make it to the masters swim that takes place in the area and they would more than likely be too fast for me anyway.

I tried to meet up with other BT people at the lake lanier tri, but that did not happen. I've communicated with some on the site, but no in person stuff yet. There is a Tri club that meets the first Thursday of the month, but they are about an hour away without traffic. Don't know what it would be with the traffic. Trying to decide if I am going to try and go to their meeting this week.
2007-06-02 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Heather - WOW, 75 lbs! That is amazing!!! Have you seen the before and after photos in the Tri thread? You need to post there! I have lost 20 and now very few of my clothes fit. I am going to do some major shopping on my way down to Austin next weekend. You must have an entire new wardrobe.
Z
2007-06-02 9:52 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member

Heather, great job losing 75 LB! Share your secrets, I'm stuck with the "last 20" stubborn afterbaby pounds that would not go anywhere no matter how hard i train!

Good luck with the race! 

2007-06-03 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi girls thanks for the props

Mel and I rode the tri course yesterday----and I found out she is faster than me LOL she is a great bike rider!!!!! I still have trouble with gradual grades and small hills. I have to work on that. I cannot wait to do the OWS next weekend! We may try to hit the running course after the swim, although we heard yesterday it is not well marked at all.

Texmom--I did have to buy all new clothes. I am trying not to buy too much because I am not at my goal. I have to stay out of REI!!!!! I love the clothes there!

Z----there are no secrets to my weight loss.....it has been HARD. I have cut out almost all refined sugars, I eat mostly whole foods, lots of fruit and veggies, no red meat. Alot of WATER, and honestly I have worked my tail off and I am still hungry most nights when I go to bed. I was at a stall for about 2 months but in the last few weeks have lost 7 pounds road riding. I hoped to be about 25 lighter by now but I will get there!

I am getting excited/nervous about my first tri...2 weeks from today!

Heather

Edited by countregirl 2007-06-03 7:24 AM
2007-06-07 8:02 AM

User image

Hi!

OK, so I just took a MAJOR break from working out--- I didn't mean to--- one day led to two then before I knew it a month went gone by. The good news is that it I've picked up where I left off-- Swimming I'll need to spent some extra time doing-- lost it there! I figure it's an open water swim so it's either swim or else... I hear the doggie paddle is effective! I read all the posts--- You ladies have been working so hard! It's so encouraging to read about your races and workouts! I'd be lost without all of your great comments

Melissa

2007-06-07 9:43 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Yay, Melissa's back!

OK, I know Kateri is racing this Sunday....is anyone else? 

I'll be able to run as of Wednesday   Looking forward to that.....good thing too, because my first race of the season is 6/17....and the NC contingent is racing then too. 

Hope everyone is well!

2007-06-08 9:42 AM
in reply to: #835150

User image

Broomfield, CO
COgirl - 2007-06-07 8:43 PM

Yay, Melissa's back!

OK, I know Kateri is racing this Sunday....is anyone else? 

I'll be able to run as of Wednesday   Looking forward to that.....good thing too, because my first race of the season is 6/17....and the NC contingent is racing then too. 

Hope everyone is well!

That is great news that you will be able to start running again!

Yup, my first tri is Sunday and I am so freakin excited!
2007-06-08 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

I am doing the Danskin in Austin on Sunday. I am headed out of town today! Yipee!! There are 6 gals headed down to shop, eat, hang out, relax, shop, eat  and oh yeah, do a triathlon on Sunday morning. I am really excited to get out of town. This is my first break from my kiddos (besides a brief night away when we did the Playtri festival) since last August. I am long overdue! Hope everyone's races go well! Good luck to the first timers and remember to have fun!

Jill

2007-06-08 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
SC

Good Luck Kateri on your first Tri!!! I'll be cheering you on virtually.  Have fun that's what it's all about.  Jill, I hope you have a good time at yours too.  It sounds like your going to have a good time.  Cathy, You must be psyched to run.

My kids are fighting over a little Dora doll so I gotta go break up a fight! aagh! 

Mel 

2007-06-08 3:11 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Jill and Kateri, get out there and KICK BUTT this weekend!  WOO HOO! 

I love racing season   And Jill I am totally jealous of your time away.  I'm suffering through no husband this week and it totally sucks!  He's actually in your state (in San Antonio!). 

It's Friday! 

2007-06-09 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi girlies I cannot wait to hear about your races!!!!

Mel and I did an OWS this morning and I was really nervous but it was GREAT!!!!!

I was the first female out of the water in our wave and the second person out of the water one guy beat me!!!!

It was really good to practice and I needed a little confidence as I am not the best biker and definately not a runner!!!!

Have a great weekend!

Heather
2007-06-09 9:30 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

So the OWS's are races?  Darn, 1st female out is AWESOME.  Someday I hope to turn into the fishie that you are   Congrats Heather! 

Mel, how was the OWS for you? 

2007-06-09 10:13 AM
in reply to: #837090

User image

Veteran
I don't know if you would call them races???? We all started in the lake in a wave and they said go----I think it is more a practice time yourself kind of thing......it was really fun!!!! I have to invest in a watch/heart rate monitor I cannot stand wearing them.

Heather
Z
2007-06-09 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member

Congrats Heather!

Hey OWS Goddesses, question for you,

How do you handle looking under the water? I have this horrible fear of opening my eyes  on open water (looking under)... I know it is weird but I have been this way since I was a kid... I guess you never know what's in that murky water ;-) Call it phobia I guess.

My OWS tri is in Septembers so I'm hoping to overcome it by then.

Good luck with the races this weekend!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 34