BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2009-06-12 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2213950

User image

Randolph, NJ
Subject: RE: kalalau's Group - FULL for now
kalalau - 2009-06-12 2:56 AM

abbiesue - 2009-06-12 7:44 AM GOOD LUCK - this weekend - Dave, Becky and Josh!

Perhaps someday I will join you!!!!

You know what would be super cool?  Us all doing the 4.4 mile Chesapeake Bay Swim next year. :-)  Yes I know the idea sounds insane, but I'm telling you we have all been in that "I can't swim 1 mile much less 4.4 miles" place.  The bay swim is a victory over a weakness we once had.

I'll tell you what though, those 3-4 mile training swims are a serious killer training session.

Are you out of your mind???? I am freaking about a 1/2 mile and you think I can do 4.4?

I bought myself a wetsuit today for my b-day!!! I can't wait to try it out! A bunch of us are suppose to go to the lake on Sunday!!! I will think about that 4.4 AFTER I see how awesome the wetsuit is.

2009-06-12 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2214677

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
abbiesue - 2009-06-12 8:44 PM
kalalau - 2009-06-12 2:56 AM

abbiesue - 2009-06-12 7:44 AM GOOD LUCK - this weekend - Dave, Becky and Josh!

Perhaps someday I will join you!!!!

You know what would be super cool?  Us all doing the 4.4 mile Chesapeake Bay Swim next year. :-)  Yes I know the idea sounds insane, but I'm telling you we have all been in that "I can't swim 1 mile much less 4.4 miles" place.  The bay swim is a victory over a weakness we once had.

I'll tell you what though, those 3-4 mile training swims are a serious killer training session.

Are you out of your mind???? I am freaking about a 1/2 mile and you think I can do 4.4?

I bought myself a wetsuit today for my b-day!!! I can't wait to try it out! A bunch of us are suppose to go to the lake on Sunday!!! I will think about that 4.4 AFTER I see how awesome the wetsuit is.

Gonna have to side with Abbie on this one.  The swim is a means to get to the bike.  I don't think you're going to be able to convince me to do the Chesapeake Bay swim.  Josh said something about not wanting his mom to get the call that they had to drag his body out of the bay...or worse yet, he's at the bottom and they didn't! 
2009-06-12 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2214677

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

abbiesue - 2009-06-12 8:44 PM

You aren't ready to realize that you can do it one day, I jumped the gun in suggesting it.  Sometimes you can push people away with big ideas too soon.  Friends start running for the first time and you mention a race or a half marathon, and all of a sudden they stop because they can't take the pressure! :-)

Happy Birthday!!  So which wetsuit do you have?

Apparently there is a 2 mile swim in the Hudson River on Sunday too, that would be cool.  Lots of races this weekend.

It might take a while to get confidence enough to do a long swim.  Even for my first half Ironman, probably 18 months after my first triathlon, I was still scared to death of the 1.2 mile swim.  Now, I look at a 1.2 mile swim as a distance I can hammer myself and still not have issues.

I have a friend who thinks it's no big deal to go for a 10 mile swim out in the middle of the Caribbean by herself or with just one other person.  That is really bizarre.  Yet, she is no superwoman.  She's just a normal looking 50-some year old.  That's the kind of thing that makes me think I can do the JFK 50 Miler.  These aren't super heroes doing these events, they are possible if you train and just take your time.

Edited by kalalau 2009-06-12 8:26 PM
2009-06-12 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2214725

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ras26 - 2009-06-12 9:20 PM

Gonna have to side with Abbie on this one.  The swim is a means to get to the bike.  I don't think you're going to be able to convince me to do the Chesapeake Bay swim.  Josh said something about not wanting his mom to get the call that they had to drag his body out of the bay...or worse yet, he's at the bottom and they didn't! 

Haha, that's funny, I would've thought that Josh might be the first guy I could get to with this kind of Bay Swim talk. :-)  It is a really really cool event to do.

2009-06-13 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1876643

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
I'm always up for anything. I've come to learn that with enough training anything is possible. The hard part isn't the race it's making the commitment to the training.

I've been very jealous about everyone doing Eagleman. I would really like to do it next year. I'm still on the fence for the JFK. Dave, are you defintiely running?

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.
2009-06-14 4:03 PM

User image

Randolph, NJ
OK so I will share my newbie experience...today was my first open water swim....first time in a wetsuit...and first time swimming in a lake...it was HORRIBLE!!!

So apparently my first mistake was trying to swim where it was somewhat shallow...there was SOOOOO much seaweed (i have never seen anything like it before) i TOTALLY freaked out and started to hyper ventilate...headed back to shore and was ready to quit right then and there...luckily I wasnt alone...my friends said it was a lot better the deeper you went. Once I calmed down I ventured out. The seaweed issues were better. Although as much as you read other peoples experiences about lake swimming nothing prepares you except doing it yourself. It was really gross and hard not being able to see...and the more the sun shined the worse it was (seeing everything floating around). I was able to calm down enough to swim but really need more time in the water to feel comfortable and work on my sighting. All in all I am glad I stuck with it...I know in time I will get over the grossness factor...i think...I actually am looking forward to getting back in next weekend now that I know what to expect.

PLEASE tell me it gets better!

2009-06-15 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2215632

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

SCamp07 - 2009-06-13 8:34 PM I'm always up for anything. I've come to learn that with enough training anything is possible. The hard part isn't the race it's making the commitment to the training.

I've been very jealous about everyone doing Eagleman. I would really like to do it next year. I'm still on the fence for the JFK. Dave, are you defintiely running?

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.

Eh, that's only because everyone around here seems to do Eagleman, and it's the closest MDOT race we have.  The downsides to the race are that it's expensive, hot, flat, and be kind of boring. The upsides are that it's MDOT, has the extra excitement and competitiveness of Kona and Clearwater slots, the volunteers and support are aweseome, and we get good pros.  I really like the shirt they gave us as well.

We haven't committed on JFK yet.  Unless someone steps up the commitment train, it seems likely we won't decide until June 30th.  But if one of us does it, it's like others in my group of friends will.

2009-06-15 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2216611

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

abbiesue - 2009-06-14 5:03 PM OK so I will share my newbie experience...today was my first open water swim....first time in a wetsuit...and first time swimming in a lake...it was HORRIBLE!!!

So apparently my first mistake was trying to swim where it was somewhat shallow...there was SOOOOO much seaweed (i have never seen anything like it before) i TOTALLY freaked out and started to hyper ventilate...headed back to shore and was ready to quit right then and there...luckily I wasnt alone...my friends said it was a lot better the deeper you went. Once I calmed down I ventured out. The seaweed issues were better. Although as much as you read other peoples experiences about lake swimming nothing prepares you except doing it yourself. It was really gross and hard not being able to see...and the more the sun shined the worse it was (seeing everything floating around). I was able to calm down enough to swim but really need more time in the water to feel comfortable and work on my sighting. All in all I am glad I stuck with it...I know in time I will get over the grossness factor...i think...I actually am looking forward to getting back in next weekend now that I know what to expect.

It does get better, because you will get used to it. :-)

Once I did a swim/run in Florida.  Visions of pretty blue water, right?  Well it's a bog too.  We get to the beach and there's this purple stuff all over the sand, and there's a sulfur smell in the air.  I ask someone what it was, and they thought it was because there was a sewage plant nearby.  Nice...

No matter the conditions, there is someone around there taking lots of measurements and having to certify that the course is within the strict government regulations.  It's not going to hurt us with our once a month swimming.

The seaweed issue does come into play in some races.  Just look at it like grass.  You like playing in the grass in the park, right?  Rolling around with the kids, crawling on your knees, wresting around?  Same thing.  You are just in the water.  It does get better away from the shore.

For lake swims, there's a high percentage of them where you aren't going to be able to see your arms and hands.  Eagleman was pretty much like that, and had the excitement of jellyfish.  I got stung on my lips!  I am glad that I went for a swim the day before and gotten my introduction to jellyfish stings, otherwise I might have freaked out a bit.

Was this a swim of your in your triathlon course lake?

A lot of swimming is about overcoming any panic, which makes it nice to do situations ahead of time.

2009-06-16 12:59 AM

User image

Chicago, IL
Out of the loop again...I would love to hear about the race experiences and stories from this weekend.  I hope all went well.  Nothing new to report here, I strated working with a swim coach and I am exponentially learning more.  I do feel like I am taking a few steps back and my times are slower for now, but its all about form.  I have yet to practice with a wetsuit myself, so Abbisue, I am curious to know how your quest with or for a wetsuit go.

I did complete my longest ride ever, I went 52 miles with a friend of mine on Sunday.  TOTAL exhaustion in the legs was both interesting and hilarious.  The last 7 miles, my HR was about 160, I was pedaling constant, I just had no, absolutely, no power.  This of course means I am getting used to the road bike and loving it.  I am in school right now and I am focusing on balancing hard workouts with plenty of rest, about a 60/40 mix.  I have noticed that my strength and stamina seem to be increasing with harder, shorter workouts and longer periods of rest.  My diet has stayed the same.  No supplements except for the vitamins, etc.

Dave, question, how do I make the long rides more comfortable...saddle cream?  Never heard of it, my friend mentioned it...what are the do's and dont's of long rides and protecting yourself from...well, yourself?

By the way, if I lived near the area, I would do the 4 mile swim with you...I love crazy ideas.  Train hard and stay safe everyone! 
2009-06-16 7:36 AM
in reply to: #2220327

User image

Randolph, NJ
Dave - Yes this was the lake where the triathlon is going to be...but in the triathlon you swim the entire perimeter of the lake. They dont set it up until the night before...so we were just allowed in a small area of the lake. And no...i do not enjoy rolling around in the grass...i am petrified of bugs and I have never even been camping...so that does not help! LOL Thank God I didnt wait until the actual triathlon to get in a lake!

I have yet to practice with a wetsuit myself, so Abbisue, I am curious to know how your quest with or for a wetsuit go.

I decided to buy a wetsuit...let's face it...I am hooked on this triathlon thing...I got a Blue Seventy and it was not cheap! Where I bought it you had the option to rent and then put that money towards the purchase. Soooo many people tell me how much better a wetsuit made the swim. The swim is where most of my anxiety is coming from. I tried it for the first time this weekend. (look at my last post) Once I calmed down a bit I was able to actually notice the benefit of wearing a wetsuit. It definitely made me more buoyant in the water and I want to say it made it easier to swim. Almost felt like i was cheating. When I get back into the lake this weekend I will be able to get a better feel for the actual wetsuit...now that I know what to expect from the lake...ewww (not to forget to mention it protected me from all that seaweed) I opted to go sleeveless and I did not find it restricting at all. But it did not keep me the least bit dry underneath. I used triglide spray on my calves and it was pretty easy to take off.
2009-06-16 1:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

gone - 2009-06-16 1:59 AM Out of the loop again...I would love to hear about the race experiences and stories from this weekend.  I hope all went well.  Nothing new to report here, I strated working with a swim coach and I am exponentially learning more.  I do feel like I am taking a few steps back and my times are slower for now, but its all about form.  I have yet to practice with a wetsuit myself, so Abbisue, I am curious to know how your quest with or for a wetsuit go.

I did complete my longest ride ever, I went 52 miles with a friend of mine on Sunday.  TOTAL exhaustion in the legs was both interesting and hilarious.  The last 7 miles, my HR was about 160, I was pedaling constant, I just had no, absolutely, no power.  This of course means I am getting used to the road bike and loving it.  I am in school right now and I am focusing on balancing hard workouts with plenty of rest, about a 60/40 mix.  I have noticed that my strength and stamina seem to be increasing with harder, shorter workouts and longer periods of rest.  My diet has stayed the same.  No supplements except for the vitamins, etc.

Dave, question, how do I make the long rides more comfortable...saddle cream?  Never heard of it, my friend mentioned it...what are the do's and dont's of long rides and protecting yourself from...well, yourself?

By the way, if I lived near the area, I would do the 4 mile swim with you...I love crazy ideas.  Train hard and stay safe everyone! 

Way to go on your ride!!

Abby got a Blue Seventy wetsuit, pretty awesome!  That is worn by people who are really fast. :-)

I'm planning on writing a race report but time keeps drifting away.  Becky, Josh, and I all did well and had a good time.  Well, Josh and Becky had more fun than I did, because I suffered for a good 3 hours.  I finished in 5:21, which was a PR by about 6 minutes for a HIM.  I had a decent all-around race, but really struggled on the run and felt overheated.

A friend of mine just suggested a 5.8 mile race in the Hudson River in September.  That sounds really long, but I looked at her time, and the course description, and it makes me think that you are REALLY swimming with a really good current in that race, it looks like the effort of a 2.5-3 mile swim.

I see people talking about "Chamois Butter" for chafing issues on the bike, but I've never used that so I don't know anything about it.  I use "Body Glide" which was a crossover from doing marathons, and it works pretty well.  Just put it anywhere that would rub.  You can buy it in running and biking stores.  Other types of issues like seat pain, neck stiffness, and shoulder pains, get resolved by more bike riding most of the time.

2009-06-16 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2220509

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

abbiesue - 2009-06-16 8:36 AM Dave - Yes this was the lake where the triathlon is going to be...but in the triathlon you swim the entire perimeter of the lake. They dont set it up until the night before...so we were just allowed in a small area of the lake. And no...i do not enjoy rolling around in the grass...i am petrified of bugs and I have never even been camping...so that does not help! LOL Thank God I didnt wait until the actual triathlon to get in a lake!

I decided to buy a wetsuit...let's face it...I am hooked on this triathlon thing...I got a Blue Seventy and it was not cheap! Where I bought it you had the option to rent and then put that money towards the purchase. Soooo many people tell me how much better a wetsuit made the swim. The swim is where most of my anxiety is coming from. I tried it for the first time this weekend. (look at my last post) Once I calmed down a bit I was able to actually notice the benefit of wearing a wetsuit. It definitely made me more buoyant in the water and I want to say it made it easier to swim. Almost felt like i was cheating. When I get back into the lake this weekend I will be able to get a better feel for the actual wetsuit...now that I know what to expect from the lake...ewww (not to forget to mention it protected me from all that seaweed) I opted to go sleeveless and I did not find it restricting at all. But it did not keep me the least bit dry underneath. I used triglide spray on my calves and it was pretty easy to take off.

You are going to have to "back it up" with the super cool wetsuit.  Get fast!  Wetsuits aren't supposed to keep all water out, it just brings in a small layer of water, which warms up against your body, and that's how you keep warm.  I don't know much about triglide, but it sounds like when I use Pam.  You are talking like you have been doing this for years. :-)

So I'm wondering, when does Abby buy a Cervelo P3 bike? :-)  Maybe you should wait til you start winning awards, before buying that one.

Keep getting out in the lake when you get the chance and race day will be just another swim in your favorite open water swim lake. :-)

Oh, if you are swimming with that coach dude, get him to swim overtop of you, and hit your around a bit in the swim, so you can see how that feels too.

Edited by kalalau 2009-06-16 1:17 PM
2009-06-16 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2216611

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
abbiesue - 2009-06-14 5:03 PM OK so I will share my newbie experience...today was my first open water swim....first time in a wetsuit...and first time swimming in a lake...it was HORRIBLE!!!

It gets WAY better...i promise.  My second and third experiences were infinitely better than the first.  I did a short swim on Saturday to try to combat whatever happened at Columbia that caused me to panic.  I don't know if it was the warmer water or what, but I had no issues at all (even with jellyfish).  Then on Sunday, race day, I was ready and was able to swim my own race.  I did get swam over a little bit when the fast people from the next waves caught me, but by staying in the back at the start, I avoided a lot of the splashing and thrashing that can happen if you start in the front or middle of the pack.  For me, for now, the best thing was to start at the back and avoid it.  Overall I can say first hand that it gets better.  The wetsuit adds a nice level of comfort because if you get tired, it makes you float.  No treading water necessary!!  :-)  Keep at it and you'll be comfortable in no time. 
2009-06-16 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
gone - 2009-06-16 1:59 AM

You didn't ask me specifically, but I have taken a liking to Aquaphor, and J uses Bodyglide.  I did have some chafing on Sunday, but I am not sure any product would have prevented it completely.  Try stuff out and see what works best for you.
2009-06-16 11:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
2009-06-17 10:19 PM
in reply to: #2223212

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Nice job, Dave!  My Race Report is also up. 

2009-06-18 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Never to be the fastest at much, my race report is also now up. 
2009-06-18 11:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Ok, 3 more big races down from us; we are doing great.  Next up, Steve and his sprint in Westminster this weekend.  Go get'em Steve!  Somehow he will make that work even with camping in the rain. :-)

Then, the moment we've all been waiting for.. in just over 3 weeks, Abby becomes a triathlete. :-)

2009-06-18 11:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Oh, Becky, in case you haven't started already, now would be a good time to start bi-lateral breathing in your training swims.  You don't have to do it in races, but doing it in training gets your body balanced better, and is an indicator of how you are progressing in that area.

And for Josh it is time to start leaving the shoes on the bike in transition. :-)  He's too fast to be running around in transition in bike shoes.

2009-06-19 3:03 PM
in reply to: #2226656

User image

Randolph, NJ
ras26 - 2009-06-17 11:47 PM Never to be the fastest at much, my race report is also now up. 

Are you kidding - fast or not you did an EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon!!! Not many women can say that! I am beyond impressed!!!

Dave - don't start counting my days down yet...(23 days to be exact)!! I already have butterflies thinking about it! Is that normal?
2009-06-19 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2229712

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

abbiesue - 2009-06-19 4:03 PM

Dave - don't start counting my days down yet...(23 days to be exact)!! I already have butterflies thinking about it! Is that normal?

Yep, pretty normal.  In fact I just read a comment in the Ironman Lake Placid thread that some guy keeps feeling like he is going to throw up, and we're over 5 weeks out.  You're just heading into something that's unknown.  You have no idea that it's not nearly as scary as it seems. :-)

2009-06-19 8:37 PM

User image

Randolph, NJ
ok i have another newbie question regarding the bike...how do you get faster? Is it just a matter of the more you do the faster you get? I have to say I truly put in a good effort on these group rides...90-110% throughout the entire ride...the rides always get broken up into smaller groups...there are the fast riders...then me usually all alone then the middle of the road group then the slower group...no matter how hard i push myself i always seem to trail off from the faster group...and alot of the time they are passing me going downhill! What the heck?? I am in the hardest gear going downhill and pedal as much as i can and it is like i am standing still...whats up with that? The weird thing is I can hold my own going up the hills...Should I be adding in legs when I do strenght traing? Do you think it would make a difference in 23 days? UGH...do i sound psycho? I have to say i lay awake at night thinking about this stuff...
2009-06-19 9:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Yep, time in the saddle == speed.  I've seen some programs that talk about hill repeats and interval training, just like running; that could help.  With hills, I think weight plays a factor, as well as the rolling resistance of the tires people have, the pressure in the tires, bike weight, aerobars, etc.  Are the guys you are riding with using aerobars, and you aren't?  That would be huge going down a hill.

I was hoping to do a big bike ride tomorrow outside of York, but I am tired, and I see likely thunderstorms, "some may be severe."  I'm not feeling it!  It's been kind of a downer last couple of days.  Probably still tired from Eagleman, and heading right back into training.

2009-06-20 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2230269

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-06-19 10:12 PM

Yep, time in the saddle == speed.  I've seen some programs that talk about hill repeats and interval training, just like running; that could help.  With hills, I think weight plays a factor, as well as the rolling resistance of the tires people have, the pressure in the tires, bike weight, aerobars, etc.  Are the guys you are riding with using aerobars, and you aren't?  That would be huge going down a hill.

I was hoping to do a big bike ride tomorrow outside of York, but I am tired, and I see likely thunderstorms, "some may be severe."  I'm not feeling it!  It's been kind of a downer last couple of days.  Probably still tired from Eagleman, and heading right back into training.

Sorry the weather is sucking, Dave.  I think it might clear up soon though so you can do your ride.  I can't imagine doing a long ride right now.  Between Eman and softball the other night, my quads, hip flexors, and back are still pretty sore!  Going to try to get some recovery workouts in this weekend. 
2009-06-22 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2230215

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
abbiesue - 2009-06-19 9:37 PM ok i have another newbie question regarding the bike...how do you get faster? Is it just a matter of the more you do the faster you get? I have to say I truly put in a good effort on these group rides...90-110% throughout the entire ride...the rides always get broken up into smaller groups...there are the fast riders...then me usually all alone then the middle of the road group then the slower group...no matter how hard i push myself i always seem to trail off from the faster group...and alot of the time they are passing me going downhill! What the heck?? I am in the hardest gear going downhill and pedal as much as i can and it is like i am standing still...whats up with that? The weird thing is I can hold my own going up the hills...Should I be adding in legs when I do strenght traing? Do you think it would make a difference in 23 days? UGH...do i sound psycho? I have to say i lay awake at night thinking about this stuff...

Abbie, I haven't done any specific bike workouts. I just ride and ride. I've improved each year which is encouragiing. I don't know if you can make much of an impact in only 23 days but I may be wrong.
That will just give you more people to pass on the run.  :-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 38