BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-25 6:31 AM
in reply to: #3319303

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!

jogo - 2011-01-24 8:45 PM

I am just catching up.  I went swimming this weekend and my swim buddy was able to pick right out what I am doing wrong with my arms and put in such I way I understand.  I am picking up some of those rectangle training paddles to help me out.  I am starting with private lessons for the next couple of weeks before true tri training begins. 

I need to rant.  You don't have to read.  I just have to vent. 

I have been doing WW since just after Thanksgiving and I have now lost and regained the same 2lbs since Dec. 13.  I am pretty disgusted.  Part of me knows its stress holding on to that weight, the other part of me wants to say F-it and give me some dang chocolate.  I am so upset.  I've done EVERYTHING right.  I don't cheat.  This is the 4th time that I have returned to Weight Watchers and this has happened.  Since I added training into my lifestyle, my weight doesn't budge.  When I initially lost weight 5 years ago, it was before I ever did my 1st event.   I sat on my skinny a$$ to do it.  Exercise is bad for my weight loss.  My weight shot up when I started tri training and has been stuck there ever since. I am exactly where I was before I became a lifetime member at WW.  My  body is very attached to those 27lbs.** Opinions here are not endorsed by anyone else but me (my disclaimer so others don't think I am the norm) I am an anomaly.  Its so sad. I frustrate every leader I've ever had.  They don't know what to do with me. They tell me to eat more and I gain, they tell me to eat less and I gain, they telll me to eat just enough and I gain.  This stinks!!!!!!  Maybe I need to try a fad diet or pills.  Doing the healthy stuff doesn't work for me.  I am so anal about nutrition, organic, whole foods, clean eating, balancing protein, etc... If weight loss was based on knowledge or effort, I'd be a size 0.  AAAAAARrrRRGGGHHH!!!!  I will keep going back because my daughter has now lost 26lbs since T-giving and I am incredibly proud of her.  I want her metabolism and I am so proud of her.  I want her to keep the momentum going.  I just need to find something that is going to work for me, aside from a less stressful job which I think is truly the reason my body holds the weight.   

Rant over. 

Note to clarify:  I love the Weight Watchers program.  The frustration is with my body.  The frustration is that I am not your typical couch potato that goes to WW and programs aren't designed for someone who already has an active lifestyle.  I kenw that going in to WW.  I think its a wonderful program and I want my daughter to be successful.  I would like to lose weight too but I know that I am an anomaly and that my body just likes this weight. I think WW is wonderful and they are committed to helping people lose weight.  I love the new program and the healthy things they've done with it.  I just get frustrated. 

Please do not interpret that this is the fault of the ww program.  This is my crazy body.

2011-01-25 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3319303

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
jogo - 2011-01-23 8:45 PM

I am just catching up.  I went swimming this weekend and my swim buddy was able to pick right out what I am doing wrong with my arms and put in such I way I understand.  I am picking up some of those rectangle training paddles to help me out.  I am starting with private lessons for the next couple of weeks before true tri training begins. 

I need to rant.  You don't have to read.  I just have to vent. 

I have been doing WW since just after Thanksgiving and I have now lost and regained the same 2lbs since Dec. 13.  I am pretty disgusted.  Part of me knows its stress holding on to that weight, the other part of me wants to say F-it and give me some dang chocolate.  I am so upset.  I've done EVERYTHING right.  I don't cheat.  This is the 4th time that I have returned to Weight Watchers and this has happened.  Since I added training into my lifestyle, my weight doesn't budge.  When I initially lost weight 5 years ago, it was before I ever did my 1st event.   I sat on my skinny a$$ to do it.  Exercise is bad for my weight loss.  My weight shot up when I started tri training and has been stuck there ever since. I am exactly where I was before I became a lifetime member at WW.  My  body is very attached to those 27lbs.** Opinions here are not endorsed by anyone else but me (my disclaimer so others don't think I am the norm) I am an anomaly.  Its so sad. I frustrate every leader I've ever had.  They don't know what to do with me. They tell me to eat more and I gain, they tell me to eat less and I gain, they telll me to eat just enough and I gain.  This stinks!!!!!!  Maybe I need to try a fad diet or pills.  Doing the healthy stuff doesn't work for me.  I am so anal about nutrition, organic, whole foods, clean eating, balancing protein, etc... If weight loss was based on knowledge or effort, I'd be a size 0.  AAAAAARrrRRGGGHHH!!!!  I will keep going back because my daughter has now lost 26lbs since T-giving and I am incredibly proud of her.  I want her metabolism and I am so proud of her.  I want her to keep the momentum going.  I just need to find something that is going to work for me, aside from a less stressful job which I think is truly the reason my body holds the weight.   

Rant over. 

Girl, I feel your pain. The exact same thing has happened to me. I have been stuck at the same weight since the end of December. Now, I did go to Las Vegas and chow down for two days earlier this month, but that was TWO DAYS only. I have been training and staying within my points allowance....and......nothing. Last week I used all my flex points and some of my activity points, but still had 40 activity points left. Went to weigh-in and only lost .4lbs (this is after I gained .8lbs in December). So, I'm actually .4lbs heavier than I was at the beginning of December and it seems as though I've hit a plateau. I hear you on alternative ways to lose weight. I've been thinking about taking a small dose appetite suppressant, but I just abhor the thought of resorting to meds to lose weight! I love WW, too and I've lost over 30lbs on it, but man....at the halfway point I'm stuck. 

On a positive note - I registered for three events today! Yay! One is even out of state and I'm super excited about the open water swim in the Gulf of Mexico! 
2011-01-25 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3319259

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
lounav - 2011-01-23 8:15 PM I'm just going to throw some ideas out for the Mad Manatee Health Challenge just to try and get the ball rolling!  Perhaps we could have a check-in day (maybe Monday, since they always seem to be a little slow around here) and everyone playing can check-in on their progress.  We could start an initial list of who's in and what their goals are - and each person could express their goals in any way they want (i.e. weight, inches, trying to eliminate something from their diet/life, body fat, clothing size, trying to add something healthy to their diet/life, etc.)  At check-in time people can let us know how they are doing and where they could use support.  Just ideas, too structured?, not enough structure?  Anyone have other ideas or things that have worked in the past?

I will post my measurements each Monday. However, this could be misleading because I'm doing strength training, and I don't know if the muscle will cause my limbs to get larger or not? 
2011-01-25 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3320612

User image

Master
Vista, CA

kickitinok - 2011-01-25 9:52 AM
lounav - 2011-01-23 8:15 PM I'm just going to throw some ideas out for the Mad Manatee Health Challenge just to try and get the ball rolling!  Perhaps we could have a check-in day (maybe Monday, since they always seem to be a little slow around here) and everyone playing can check-in on their progress.  We could start an initial list of who's in and what their goals are - and each person could express their goals in any way they want (i.e. weight, inches, trying to eliminate something from their diet/life, body fat, clothing size, trying to add something healthy to their diet/life, etc.)  At check-in time people can let us know how they are doing and where they could use support.  Just ideas, too structured?, not enough structure?  Anyone have other ideas or things that have worked in the past?

I will post my measurements each Monday. However, this could be misleading because I'm doing strength training, and I don't know if the muscle will cause my limbs to get larger or not? 

Which events did you register for? I'll check your logs, because I'm just a curious kind of gal! And, the strength training might at the onset make your muscles retain more fluids but overall should actually result in fewer inches because of the fat burning that takes place with more muscle mass....that of course is if you're not supplementing with protein drinks and muscle builders, which I have a feeling you are not. Hope that helps.

And, I hear you both about the WW program. I lost 30# 10 yrs ago and have worked hard to keep it off. It's a daily decision though and I am conscious about what and how I'm eating. I'm mostly motivated by my really crappy family history -- mom died at 52 from heart disease, grandfather at 59 after 3 heart attacks, grandmother died at 75 but only after suffering through 10 years following a massive stroke that left her paralyzed and aphasiac. And I have no idea of my father's health history. Probably TMI, but while I like to look good in my jeans, even if I'm not at the number on the scale I want, I try to realize all the good things I'm doing for my body via food and activity and focus on that. I know the scale will move and does eventually. I do find that endurance events don't always lend themselves to weight loss. I've found that when I'm doing more speed work and interval work where my heart rate gets a bit higher, my weight loss seems to improve.

I like the idea of posting on Mondays where you are with inches/weight/size or whatever you're using to gauge your progress. No pressure to join in for anyone, but it might help some people be accountable. Posting goals, either on the spreadsheet Yanti already made, or in your log is also a great idea as well as sharing with our Mad Manatee friends if you want.

Thoughts?

2011-01-25 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
I will post my measurements on my log....just easier to remember that way.
2011-01-26 6:36 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Decided to take control.  I'll stick with WW but I am going to tweak it and do clean eating.  I can't think of anything that is getting in the way of this weight loss.  I follow the plan to the letter.  I have tried everything so I am thinking that maybe I need to rethink the way I eat food.  I will be having protein at every meal.  I will be eating organic, whole foods.  No chemicals, no pesticides, no colorings, no artificial.  I already do this 70 percent of the time but I'm shooting for 90 percent. The big change will be adding in more protein. 

This morning with my hot multigrain cereal and blueberries, I had a side of scrambled egg whites. 

For the challenge, are we each picking individual quantitative goals or is everyone doing measurements?  

2011-01-26 7:53 AM

User image

Altrincham
Right I'm back in the saddle so to speak. My triathlon's gone but there's no need to sit about idle; I'm going to strive to do a 12 week fitness programme anyway.  To be honest I could do with shifting a little Christmas turkey and it'll hopefully set me up to be better placed to resume tri-specific training nearer the end of the season. So anyhow I'll stick around for the ride and see where we end up!
2011-01-26 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

Back on Track for weight loss - down ~3lbs since last week.  I went back to my "eating" and training logs from Nov when I was successful in dropping ~10lbs in preparation for the 1/2 Mary.  Like many of you, I've been stuck on ~191 +/- 1lbs since early December.

Review reminded me about what seems to work for me:
- Approach the weight loss just like training.  It will be HARD
- If it goes in my mouth, it goes into my log.  Only exception is water.  I look up EVERY food for calorie count and record (some surprising findings).  I found that doing this is not necessary to maintain, but helps to loose.  ONLY CALORIES MATTER for weight loss - all else has effects and can affect how full I feel, but ONLY CALORIES COUNT.
- NO EXTRA CALORIES THROUGH SPORT DRINKS.  Water only - no protein shakes, no Powerbars, not Gatorade or hammer. 
- Eat NORMAL regardless of workout intensity (no workout is > 3 hours at this point, so no need for extra calories).
- I'm never full getting up from the table.  I, unfortunately, could often eat 100% of what I just had again before getting full.  YEP - I do get hungry just like my legs get sore (training the gut).  It PASSES after a week.
- Expect my training and abilities to drop.  Can't train for weight loss and for improved performance at the same time.  (note:  Typically if you are loosing weight while training hard for improved performance, you may not be recovering adequately).
- Aim for average calorie count on a weekly basis (ie- throw in a high cheat day or to keep calories for week up) - target 500 calories less per day on weekly average.  This means some days I'm right at calories in = calories out or slightly more in.  Other days I may be under by 1000 - 1200.  Weekly average is calories in is 500 less than calories out.
- EAT ALL DAY LONG.  Breakfast (muffin, black bean burger with hummus, juice) - snack (low-fat cheese stick, .5 oz almonds) - lunch (left overs from night before or healthy choice soup) - banana for snack (MAYBE protein bar) - light dinner with cal target ~500).  Some cheat food (candy, sweet) if calorie count down.  If up, suck on a few frozen strawberries.

Most of this is based on Weight loss for triathletes.  It works for me (well - has worked).  I do understand how hard it is and how frustrating the plateaus can be - I've had many and the more I loose, the more I have.  Mine were 230, 220, 210, 205, 200, 195, 190 (just broke this one after ~2 months), and at one time - 185 (TBD now).   Target is 180 as race weight.  Once I hit that, I'll focus on performance and maintenance.

WHY do this?  I've battled weight my entire life - never real heavy (always carried my weight well - even at 240), just never build well.  Was called "doughboy" even when I raced bikes - skinny legs, big trunk.  Was told by my dad last summer "you don't have the shape of a triathlete".  That said, I have 2 sisters who are obese - 1 morbidly - and 1 sister who has been like me (trying to control but never fully winning or loosing the battle).  Recent blood work came back - sucks - and blood pressure was borderline high.  Bad knee (torn meniscus in both knees, strained / partial tear ACL in left knee) - a whole laundry list of issues. All of which are contributed to by carrying extra weight. 

I REALLY do want to be the first one in my family to live to see 80 AND I'm going to have tons of fun getting there.

BTW:  Jack Lalanne - rest in peace.  There is someone who really broke the mold on healthy living (ie - first to promote weight training for athletes and women).

2011-01-27 3:01 AM
in reply to: #3316436

User image

Regular
New Zealand

Late summer here if you fancy a trek over to NZ... I have plenty of corners if you can fend off the kids and crazy cat
2011-01-27 3:19 AM
in reply to: #3321988

User image

Melon Presser
jogo - 2011-01-26 7:36 PM

Decided to take control.  I'll stick with WW but I am going to tweak it and do clean eating.  I can't think of anything that is getting in the way of this weight loss.  I follow the plan to the letter.  I have tried everything so I am thinking that maybe I need to rethink the way I eat food.  I will be having protein at every meal.  I will be eating organic, whole foods.  No chemicals, no pesticides, no colorings, no artificial.  I already do this 70 percent of the time but I'm shooting for 90 percent. The big change will be adding in more protein. 

This morning with my hot multigrain cereal and blueberries, I had a side of scrambled egg whites. 

For the challenge, are we each picking individual quantitative goals or is everyone doing measurements?  

hey hey hey sorry i've been awol for a couple of days ... been in a FUNK and busy, and that's always a punishing combo

Personally, I keep no sugar in the house anymore. I just don't. If I need some for something, I'm going to have to go out and buy a packet. So far I haven't needed to.

Okay, the challenge. I'd say pick individual quantitative goals. Winners are everyone reaching 100% of goal.

From when to when should this be? I'm okay with backdating.
2011-01-27 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3323947

User image

Veteran
Austin
TriAya - 2011-01-27 3:19 AM
jogo - 2011-01-26 7:36 PM
Okay, the challenge. I'd say pick individual quantitative goals. Winners are everyone reaching 100% of goal.

From when to when should this be? I'm okay with backdating.

Sounds perfect to me - starting now -  lasting two months?  (or less?)   

2011-01-27 12:02 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Welcoming You to the ...

INAUGURAL MAD MANATEE HEALTH PICKLE CHALLENGE

Gotten yourself into a health pickle? Want to eat more pickles? Just in it for fun?

- Challenge runs from NOW (or if you want to backdate a few days or to your last significant value, fine) until MARCH 31
- Pick a goal type that has a quantifiable STARTING VALUE (you can set it to zero if you don't want to reveal the number). Possibilities/examples include weight, measurements (ex: mine is hip+waist circumference starting at 150cm), time/100yd swim, OR let's say a number that you want to increase--say your longest run now is 5 miles and you want to get to 10 miles by then.
- Identify your END VALUE (ex: mine is get hip+waist circ. to 136cm)
- Check in every week with your new numbers or change in numbers

I have, of course, set up a spreadsheet for this and it happens to be Sheet 2 of our existing Goals Spreadsheet:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0An7ZkKfHG1L1dHphaHc0aFczX0FkOEdhaERqWG0wa1E&hl=en&authkey=CJGo6JsM#gid=1
2011-01-27 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3324776

User image

Master
Vista, CA

TriAya - 2011-01-27 10:02 AM Welcoming You to the ...

Gotten yourself into a health pickle? Want to eat more pickles? Just in it for fun?

- Challenge runs from NOW (or if you want to backdate a few days or to your last significant value, fine) until MARCH 31
- Pick a goal type that has a quantifiable STARTING VALUE (you can set it to zero if you don't want to reveal the number). Possibilities/examples include weight, measurements (ex: mine is hip+waist circumference starting at 150cm), time/100yd swim, OR let's say a number that you want to increase--say your longest run now is 5 miles and you want to get to 10 miles by then.

I have, of course, set up a spreadsheet for this and it happens to be Sheet 2 of our existing Goals Spreadsheet:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0An7ZkKfHG1L1dHphaHc0aFczX0FkOEdhaERqWG0wa1E&hl=en&authkey=CJGo6JsM#gid=1

You're awesome! Thanks Yanti. Melons--er, uh, {{{{Melon presses}}}}

2011-01-27 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3324876

User image

Melon Presser
lmscozz - 2011-01-28 1:34 AM

You know, it's like a whole new world whenever I get a compliment. And any day with hotredhead Lynn AND a {{{MELON PRESS}}} is ... well ... makes that whole new world totally worth living and celebrating in.

Recently I got two compliments I have *NEVER* received before.

1. Someone thinks my feet are lovely and yummy and would like to nibble on them. (!!! I have horrified some pretty hardened running-shoe-store trail-runner piglets with my feet.)

2. Someone (who actually would know something about this) told me I am a very good driver!
2011-01-27 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Thanks for the spreadsheet, Yanti! Think I will just stick with weight lost since I keep track of that anyway. 

I would give anything to break this plateau. I do have to admit, I AM STARVING ALL THE TIME. I'd try to HTFU and just go with the hunger and hope it passes in a week or so, but I can't sleep when I'm hungry. I will try tweaking a few things in my diet and see how that goes. Also, my WW group leader thinks that salty foods are bad since it makes us retain water and thus bloated and heavy. I am going to try to cut down on salt, and only allow myself one diet soda a day. I remember when I was shedding weight pretty easily I was drinking no diet sodas - and I've also heard that they mess with your metabolism so they could be the culprit. Dunno.

I saw my shadow today as I was running outside - it's not a pretty sight. I look like an injured animal that's recently given birth when I run. The only way I know to change that is to lose more weight. Argh!

Edited by kickitinok 2011-01-27 5:41 PM
2011-01-27 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3324934

User image

Master
Vista, CA

TriAya - 2011-01-27 10:50 AM
lmscozz - 2011-01-28 1:34 AM

You know, it's like a whole new world whenever I get a compliment. And any day with hotredhead Lynn AND a {{{MELON PRESS}}} is ... well ... makes that whole new world totally worth living and celebrating in.

Recently I got two compliments I have *NEVER* received before.

1. Someone thinks my feet are lovely and yummy and would like to nibble on them. (!!! I have horrified some pretty hardened running-shoe-store trail-runner piglets with my feet.)

2. Someone (who actually would know something about this) told me I am a very good driver!

Okay, were you driving with your feet? Ha! Better marry the piglet who likes your feet...a rare find....a rare find indeed.

2011-01-27 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3322201

User image

Master
Vista, CA

mackjenn - 2011-01-26 6:59 AM

Back on Track for weight loss - down ~3lbs since last week.  I went back to my "eating" and training logs from Nov when I was successful in dropping ~10lbs in preparation for the 1/2 Mary.  Like many of you, I've been stuck on ~191 +/- 1lbs since early December.

Review reminded me about what seems to work for me:
- Approach the weight loss just like training.  It will be HARD
- If it goes in my mouth, it goes into my log.  Only exception is water.  I look up EVERY food for calorie count and record (some surprising findings).  I found that doing this is not necessary to maintain, but helps to loose.  ONLY CALORIES MATTER for weight loss - all else has effects and can affect how full I feel, but ONLY CALORIES COUNT.
- NO EXTRA CALORIES THROUGH SPORT DRINKS.  Water only - no protein shakes, no Powerbars, not Gatorade or hammer. 
- Eat NORMAL regardless of workout intensity (no workout is > 3 hours at this point, so no need for extra calories).
- I'm never full getting up from the table.  I, unfortunately, could often eat 100% of what I just had again before getting full.  YEP - I do get hungry just like my legs get sore (training the gut).  It PASSES after a week.
- Expect my training and abilities to drop.  Can't train for weight loss and for improved performance at the same time.  (note:  Typically if you are loosing weight while training hard for improved performance, you may not be recovering adequately).
- Aim for average calorie count on a weekly basis (ie- throw in a high cheat day or to keep calories for week up) - target 500 calories less per day on weekly average.  This means some days I'm right at calories in = calories out or slightly more in.  Other days I may be under by 1000 - 1200.  Weekly average is calories in is 500 less than calories out.
- EAT ALL DAY LONG.  Breakfast (muffin, black bean burger with hummus, juice) - snack (low-fat cheese stick, .5 oz almonds) - lunch (left overs from night before or healthy choice soup) - banana for snack (MAYBE protein bar) - light dinner with cal target ~500).  Some cheat food (candy, sweet) if calorie count down.  If up, suck on a few frozen strawberries.

Most of this is based on Weight loss for triathletes.  It works for me (well - has worked).  I do understand how hard it is and how frustrating the plateaus can be - I've had many and the more I loose, the more I have.  Mine were 230, 220, 210, 205, 200, 195, 190 (just broke this one after ~2 months), and at one time - 185 (TBD now).   Target is 180 as race weight.  Once I hit that, I'll focus on performance and maintenance.

WHY do this?  I've battled weight my entire life - never real heavy (always carried my weight well - even at 240), just never build well.  Was called "doughboy" even when I raced bikes - skinny legs, big trunk.  Was told by my dad last summer "you don't have the shape of a triathlete".  That said, I have 2 sisters who are obese - 1 morbidly - and 1 sister who has been like me (trying to control but never fully winning or loosing the battle).  Recent blood work came back - sucks - and blood pressure was borderline high.  Bad knee (torn meniscus in both knees, strained / partial tear ACL in left knee) - a whole laundry list of issues. All of which are contributed to by carrying extra weight. 

I REALLY do want to be the first one in my family to live to see 80 AND I'm going to have tons of fun getting there.

BTW:  Jack Lalanne - rest in peace.  There is someone who really broke the mold on healthy living (ie - first to promote weight training for athletes and women).

Great plan! I think a big part of the weight loss thing is figuring out what works for you. Seems like you've been able to accomplish that. Nice!

BTW-- the BT nutrition log is pretty good for calories, but if you have an iphone or smart phone check out the Lose IT app. It's free and has a pretty good database, including restaurants.

2011-01-27 10:40 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Here is an article I saw on indoor running from Runner's World today -- wanted to share, 'cos I'm just generous that way -- sharing the pain of the treadmill. :-)

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How-Indoor-Workouts-Can-Help-Your-Run.htm?cmp=291&memberid=107047621&lyrisid=21386168

2011-01-28 12:54 PM

User image

Regular
Dubln, Ohio

I get to retest my HR zones on Saturday.  My favorite; NOT!  I need motivation.  If you haven't done one before,  if completed properly it is hard.   

2011-01-28 2:03 PM
in reply to: #3326080

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
lmscozz - 2011-01-27 9:38 PM

[Great plan! I think a big part of the weight loss thing is figuring out what works for you. Seems like you've been able to accomplish that. Nice!

BTW-- the BT nutrition log is pretty good for calories, but if you have an iphone or smart phone check out the Lose IT app. It's free and has a pretty good database, including restaurants.

Thanks!  I've been using a blackberry app to look stuff up, but recording it in a mole skin notepad.  For me - has to be easy and instantaneous (never get around to logging it if done at the end of the day).  I will have to start playing some with the BT one since I THINK it might actually give me the delta between in and out - something I can use to relate to the scale.

2011-01-28 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Hey Yanti / Lynn,

What units should I use if my healthy challenge is to go from butt ugly to sexiest man alive?

2011-01-28 7:58 PM

For the last few weeks I have noticed my legs are low in the water and I feel like they are slowing me down. I warmed up with drill today and noticed that I do not have very good cadence with my kick and slow down or stop on occasion without noticing. Today was my long swim and I focused on making sure I kicked consistently (used my arms less than usual) I ended up completing my long slow swim at my 100m sprint pace barely trying?

I noticed that if I kick consistently my legs don't drop in the water, are there any drill for working on kick speed/etc?

Also I was speaking to a swim coach the other day for an interview and she made a statement about how long course triathletes can focus bilateral breathing every 5th strokes instead of 3rd. Thoughts on that?
2011-01-29 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3327352

User image

Altrincham
mackjenn - 2011-01-28 8:04 PM Hey Yanti / Lynn,

What units should I use if my healthy challenge is to go from butt ugly to sexiest man alive?

The milliniall!

:P

Hehe
2011-01-29 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3327352

User image

Master
Vista, CA

mackjenn - 2011-01-28 12:04 PM Hey Yanti / Lynn,

Maybe you can post photos and we can vote?

2011-01-29 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3327907

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Tucker_lr - 2011-01-28 5:58 PM For the last few weeks I have noticed my legs are low in the water and I feel like they are slowing me down. I warmed up with drill today and noticed that I do not have very good cadence with my kick and slow down or stop on occasion without noticing. Today was my long swim and I focused on making sure I kicked consistently (used my arms less than usual) I ended up completing my long slow swim at my 100m sprint pace barely trying?

I noticed that if I kick consistently my legs don't drop in the water, are there any drill for working on kick speed/etc?

Also I was speaking to a swim coach the other day for an interview and she made a statement about how long course triathletes can focus bilateral breathing every 5th strokes instead of 3rd. Thoughts on that?

Good job on the kick. There's a lot of disagreement about the kicking in triathlon. The TI coaches promote a slower 4 beat kick, I believe and really focus on distance per stroke and body position. I know as far as body position, the leg propulsion will help but pressing your chest down and keeping the head down also helps raise your mid and lower body. I'm not the best swimmer but I do notice  difference when I keep my head down and try to as they say, "look toward your toes."

One of the best kicking drills I"ve heard of is to stay vertical in the water and kick with your legs underneath you. Obviously you have to be in deep enough water to make this work, but I'm starting to encorporate that into my swim drills. When you get really good at that, you can try raising your arms above your head while kicking vertically.

As far as the breathing thing, again disagreement among coaches, but it is recommended you can breath bilaterally so you can spot on either side of you. I know gordo (Gordon Byrne) really likes the every 3rd stroke bilateral. He's said that show you can be relaxed in the water if you can do that comfortably. I can share his exact words once I'm back to my computer. I'm using DH's because we're away for the weekend. (Yes, and I'm on BT).

Let us know how it's going with it all.

Lynn

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38