BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-01-14 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3300736

Lancaster
Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL!
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-14 9:40 PM
ClydeNewb - 2011-01-14 8:35 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-14 2:37 PM Okay, need some advice.  It's not a great video, but try to help me out with this. 

This was filmed at the end of a hard workout and the first swim after christmas 2 week break from swimming, but gives a good example of what I think happens to my form after 20 minutes or so of hard swimming.  Why the heck is my right arm crossing over so much?  I honestly thought it was straight out in front of my shoulder the whole time.  How do I correct this if I can't tell I'm doing it??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYyVryW_TpM

Your right arm really doesn't look that bad.  It crosses a little too much when you breath to your left.  If you are like me, you look like you struggle to breath to the left and it crosses over a bit more because your head is coming higher out of the water on that side.  When you are just swimming and breathing to the right, it doesn't look bad.  Your left could actually come in a little more.  If you practice catch up drills, that will help you get a feel for where your arms should be at the front of your stroke.  If you are getting a full stroke, you will feel your shoulders rolling a lot more.

Crap...looks like I'm struggling!?!?  haha!  I probably was at that point.  I never noticed the head thing.  I do know that when I breathe to the left I end up bending at the waist slightly and I slow just a tiny bit.  Maybe that has to do with the head issue.  I will work on that.  Definitely doing catch-up drills a bunch.   

hah.  The struggling wasn't meant to be a dig, just an observation.  I'm the same way which is why I only breath to the right.  To the right, I barely bring my nose out of the water, but to the left, I have to nearly bring my whole head out and I lose all streamline and slow significantly.

2011-01-14 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3300756

Lancaster
Dagwoodz - 2011-01-14 9:49 PM Anyone in the group planning on doing any of the REV3 events this year?  Specifically Knoxville or Quassy?  Would be cool to meet some of the group...

I'm planning on doing the half at Cedar Point in September.  That is the race I'm focusing on for the year.  With only a local mini and a sprint under my belt from last year, I figured the half would be a big enough fish to try and catch this year.  If all goes well I'll shoot for a full IM next year.
2011-01-14 10:20 PM
in reply to: #3300018

User image

Regular
Augusta
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-14 1:37 PM Okay, need some advice.  It's not a great video, but try to help me out with this. 

This was filmed at the end of a hard workout and the first swim after christmas 2 week break from swimming, but gives a good example of what I think happens to my form after 20 minutes or so of hard swimming.  Why the heck is my right arm crossing over so much?  I honestly thought it was straight out in front of my shoulder the whole time.  How do I correct this if I can't tell I'm doing it??

Ok, had a chance to watch the video, and noticed a couple of things. 

- Yes, you are crossing over the center line with your arms.  Not so much with the left arm, but you still are.  Much more noticeable in the second pass. 
- You are entering the water too soon with your hand/arm, which is preventing you from getting full extension/rotation.
- You're starting the grab portion of your stroke with your palm at a 45* angle to your body.  It's basically putting the brakes on in your swimming.  Much of this would be corrected by not crossing over.  (you can see this really well at 00:49 if you pause it)
- As ClydeNewb stated, you're breathing on the left is much more pronounced than on your right, which throws your whole body alignment off.

ClydeNewb gave a great bit of advice with the catch-up drills. 

Another drill to work on would be one armed drills.  Push off, on your side.  Use your top arm as your stroking arm, leaving the other arm straight out in front of you.  Don't rush the stroke.  This will give you the proper feeling of being on your side when you finish your stroke.  If you split it up into 25's, and continue looking at the same wall for both lengths, you'll work both sides equally.

As far as working on your entry, there are a couple of things that you can do.  When I was swimming distance in HS, the longer my stroke got, the more it felt like I was swimming closer to a catch-up stroke.  Really accentuate the reach and grab portion of the stroke.  It sets everything else up.   

Your arm should almost be fully extended before entry...almost.  There should still be a very slight bend in the elbow to keep it higher than the hand, and the hand should enter first.  Once your hand enters the water, you should be rotated onto your side and your fingertips should be starting to dip down to begin the grab portion of the stroke.  Remember to keep your elbow high to give yourself leverage through the rest of the stroke.  Hope this helps!
2011-01-15 6:50 AM
in reply to: #3300880

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Dagwoodz - 2011-01-14 11:20 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-14 1:37 PM Okay, need some advice.  It's not a great video, but try to help me out with this. 

Ok, had a chance to watch the video, and noticed a couple of things. 

- Yes, you are crossing over the center line with your arms.  Not so much with the left arm, but you still are.  Much more noticeable in the second pass. 
- You are entering the water too soon with your hand/arm, which is preventing you from getting full extension/rotation.
- You're starting the grab portion of your stroke with your palm at a 45* angle to your body.  It's basically putting the brakes on in your swimming.  Much of this would be corrected by not crossing over.  (you can see this really well at 00:49 if you pause it)
- As ClydeNewb stated, you're breathing on the left is much more pronounced than on your right, which throws your whole body alignment off.

ClydeNewb gave a great bit of advice with the catch-up drills. 

Another drill to work on would be one armed drills.  Push off, on your side.  Use your top arm as your stroking arm, leaving the other arm straight out in front of you.  Don't rush the stroke.  This will give you the proper feeling of being on your side when you finish your stroke.  If you split it up into 25's, and continue looking at the same wall for both lengths, you'll work both sides equally.

As far as working on your entry, there are a couple of things that you can do.  When I was swimming distance in HS, the longer my stroke got, the more it felt like I was swimming closer to a catch-up stroke.  Really accentuate the reach and grab portion of the stroke.  It sets everything else up.   

Your arm should almost be fully extended before entry...almost.  There should still be a very slight bend in the elbow to keep it higher than the hand, and the hand should enter first.  Once your hand enters the water, you should be rotated onto your side and your fingertips should be starting to dip down to begin the grab portion of the stroke.  Remember to keep your elbow high to give yourself leverage through the rest of the stroke.  Hope this helps!

Holy hell Josh.  At least I have something to focus on this Monday!  I'm wondering if the whole entering the water too soon thing is what is screwing me up.  We were taught total immersion style swimming, which, you probably know, means you enter the water almost right in front of your head.  I will try to switch it up and see if I can get another video. 

Thanks so much for the advice!
2011-01-15 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3256274

User image

Hugo, MN

It's very rare, but I had one of those weeks that I am just glad is over!

Hopefully, this weekend there will be some time to get some quality training done.  And the swim tips in this thread are extremely helpful.

2011-01-15 8:43 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
It's a balmy 3 degrees out today.  Almost no wind though.  Probably going to get about an hour and ten minute workout on the trainer when I get home from work.  I bet the attic is about 35 degrees right now!  Gonna be awesome.

2011-01-15 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Registered for Racine 70.3 today with all the loose change that I had laying around my house. I wish I could have handed them the loose change personally....time to go sub 5!
2011-01-15 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3301379

User image

Champion
SO far it looks like you've got better swim advice than i can give you, so i'll let that one.

Everyone nice job on keeping busy!

I'm taking it a bit easier this weekend, starting to make a shift into higher intensity running and backing off the volume a bit. getting excited to slowly start adding in more of the faster running:-)
2011-01-15 3:28 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Nice 1:10 on the trainer.  Watched this movie "Saint Ralph".  It's actually pretty good.  About a kid whose mom is in a coma and convinces himself that if he wins the Boston marathon that she'll wake up.  It's on netflix instant view.
2011-01-15 8:00 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta
So they changed my work shift, yet again, (fourth time in the past 4 months), so re-adjusting to the new schedule.  Going to try to get a short run in after a mandatory medical screening we've got today in about 2 hours. 

2011-01-15 9:42 PM

Albany, NY
Very busy day today..  1:40 on the trainer, 25 min on the treadmill, 30 min in the pool.  I may regret all that tomorrow.  Hoping to do long run (~10 miles) tomorrow (on the treadmill of course as it is 10 degrees with 10 to 20 mph winds around here..).  Hope all is well with everyone!

2011-01-16 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
PA
tough run yesterday--just not feeling it
swim was okay today
bike felt good today too
2011-01-16 4:51 PM

User image

Hugo, MN

Took the last two days off (Fri and Sat).  Too many hours at work = spend loads of time with the kids when I get home.

Had a nice long run today up the mostly snow packed trail (snowmobile route next to the fully snow covered paved trail).  Wow is that hard.  It's just unpacked enough to slow me down to recovery paces, but I was working hard (probably just under a marathon pace effort).  My legs are going to be hurting tomorrow.  Sweet.

2011-01-16 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3301709

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-15 4:28 PM Nice 1:10 on the trainer.  Watched this movie "Saint Ralph".  It's actually pretty good.  About a kid whose mom is in a coma and convinces himself that if he wins the Boston marathon that she'll wake up.  It's on netflix instant view.

+1 

I liked Saint Ralph as well.
2011-01-16 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3303259

User image

Champion
i really want to see Saint ralph, hopefully soon.

I've taken the past two days off as well, been sick and trying to get over it.
2011-01-16 7:31 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Actually had a very good run today.  50 minutes of constant running with zero pain.  I ran at zone 2, which is an embarrassing 10:30ish in the snow right now.  Looking forward to seeing those numbers fall!!!

Hope you feel better David.  Lots of water and Vit. C! 

2011-01-16 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3303372

User image

Champion
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-16 6:31 PM

Actually had a very good run today. 50 minutes of constant running with zero pain. I ran at zone 2, which is an embarrassing 10:30ish in the snow right now. Looking forward to seeing those numbers fall!!!

Hope you feel better David. Lots of water and Vit. C!

nice job, i've had runs that make that look fast in the snow! Keep up the work, it's the races where it counts.

I'll be fine, this always happens over hte winter when i start working with teams again. something is going around and hits me hard. luckily this just seems like a bad cold.
2011-01-16 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Back to the 17hr/days again tomorrow... for the next 6 weeks.  I have a couple of vacation days booked in there from my night job, and my weekends are completely free.  I did it for four years, but I've been spoiled lately with a 40hr work week   Time for bed.
2011-01-16 10:33 PM

User image

Been keeping busy

8ish mile run friday night
45ish mile bike Saturday
9ish mile run Sunday

Also about 3-5 miles of walking around Waialae golf course for the Sony open on both Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

Since I'm off for MLK day tomorrow, I'll likely get in another long ride.  Maybe a short run or swim in the afternoon.
2011-01-17 2:28 AM

User image

Regular
Augusta
Well, after switching shifts, mandatory functions to prep for re-deployment and coming down with a nasty case of the crud..(102* temps, fever dreams, aches, the whole 9 yards), finally felt well enough to get out and go on a quick run.  Mainly just wanted to get a couple of miles in and try and clear the crap that is in my lungs out.  The run felt real good though.   Hopefully I can do the same tomorrow.
2011-01-17 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3303708

User image

Dagwoodz - 2011-01-16 9:28 PM Well, after switching shifts, mandatory functions to prep for re-deployment and coming down with a nasty case of the crud..(102* temps, fever dreams, aches, the whole 9 yards), finally felt well enough to get out and go on a quick run.  Mainly just wanted to get a couple of miles in and try and clear the crap that is in my lungs out.  The run felt real good though.   Hopefully I can do the same tomorrow.

hope you continue to feel better.

2011-01-17 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3289785

User image

tri808 - 2011-01-10 5:22 AM Start weight 162
Goal weight (end of May) 155

Weekly goal: find out if I broke/fractured my wrist this past weekend.  I think it's just a bad sprain...but I'm going to try and see the doctor today for some xrays.

Weight as of 1/17 is 161.2. 

New goals for 1/17-23

Ride - 120+ miles
Run - 30ish miles
Swim - get at least one session in (hand is still sore, but getting better)
Weight - again...lose something...161.2 to start the week
Other - bring home lunch at least twice this week.
2011-01-17 9:46 AM

User image

Fall River, WI

My goals for the week are going to be the same as last week since I failed miserably.  So once again, do core training 3x's this week and stretch everyday.  Also need to watch my food intake for the first part of the week.  We are having a late family xmas at our house this weekend.  10 or so guests for 2 1/2 days.  I'm going to try and eat somewhat healthy, but making no promises.

Since we have family coming over I have moved some training days around.  For the last 2 weeks I have been dead tired come the end of the week so I'm hoping a little juggling around will help with that.  If not I have an easy week coming soon and once I officially start the Oly plan my total hours will go down a bit. 

I'll have my weigh-in tomorrow.  I'm trying to use the same scale for weigh-in for consitancy.  So far it is not looking good.

2011-01-17 10:52 AM

User image

Regular
Augusta

Weight: 192.2...maybe 1-2 lb loss.  I was able to weigh myself in just my workout clothes today vice my full uniform.

Goals for the week: keep trying to squeeze runs in when I can.  Get the remainder of the crap in my lungs out.  Get out of Afghanistan. 

*note*

My internet service is going to be extremely intermittant in the coming weeks starting late on the 19th, as we're moving to the transient billets here, and then will be in transit soon following.  I'll have the work computer, (where I'm at now), to check the forums.  I'll still try and check in as often as I can and provide updates though and encouragement when I can.  It shouldn't be too terribly long.

2011-01-17 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3303988

User image

Regular
Augusta
tri808 - 2011-01-17 9:17 AM
Dagwoodz - 2011-01-16 9:28 PM Well, after switching shifts, mandatory functions to prep for re-deployment and coming down with a nasty case of the crud..(102* temps, fever dreams, aches, the whole 9 yards), finally felt well enough to get out and go on a quick run.  Mainly just wanted to get a couple of miles in and try and clear the crap that is in my lungs out.  The run felt real good though.   Hopefully I can do the same tomorrow.

hope you continue to feel better.

Thanks!  I dont' get sick often, but when I do...I'm usually down for the count. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 57