BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-12 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3494949

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
kenj - 2011-05-12 5:39 AM Yikes!  We have been spammed!

Surprised

Funny, someone stole our spam!

2011-05-12 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3495315

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
kenj - 2011-05-12 9:09 AM
robingray_260 - 2011-05-12 10:08 AM

The weather is still crappy here - blowing snow since yesterday morning. Temps right around freezing.

I will have to go to the gym to get a workout in - I am suffering from major lack of motivation Frown

Also, need to make a dr. appt today about my arm/shoulder - not sure it is just a sprain.

I won't complain about my weather anymore!  Wow, snowing in May, Yuck!

It is supposed to be nice starting tomorrow and through the weekend (fingers crossed!).

2011-05-12 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3495195

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
scraver - 2011-05-12 9:23 AM

Running Shoe Question:

I have read that some people replace their sneaks every 3 months.  I don't get enough miles in to need them that often... But I have been running in the same pairs for an embarrasingly long time.  The one pair I have had about 2 years now and they are just so comfy.  Do I HAVE to replace them?  When I first started running, I could tell when I needed new sneaks.  My shins would hurt.  Now, it seems I have built up enough muscles that that no longer happens. 

This are kinda cool:http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteController/saucony/productdetails?catId=cat10002&productId=4-105720&skuId=***4********10098-1*M055&stockNumber=10098-1&showDefaultOption=true

I bought a new pair of shoes at the start of the season. I wanted something that I could wear sockless and went with a pair nike run free+. Unfortunately they didn’t work for me. I had a lot of knee pair from using them. Too bad cause I bought the whole minimal shoe thing hook, line and sinker from that salesperson at the running store. Maybe I got caught up in the minimal running shoe thing but the sales person analyzed my foot and stride and gave me a bunch of options that should have worked for me and the nike’s felt the best.

Anyway a couple months later and I’m back to using my old nike’s (that have been discontinued BTW) and I’m feeling stronger every run. I realized that I’m a natural heal striker and that changing my stride to accommodate a new shoe that doesn’t have the heel cushioning that I’m used was just not good for me.

So I’m due for a new pair of shoes. So to answer the original question I’ve been buying them about once a year. I try to buy them at the start of the season so I can ease into them.

2011-05-12 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3495179

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

kenj - 2011-05-12 9:17 AM You would think there would be more time efficient ways to market a product on the internet other than setting up an account and placing adds into forum threads. 

How's everyones training going so far this week?  Bike intervals for me this morning on the trainer.  Going to fit a recovery run in somewhere today, I have a new pair of shoes that I bought for shorter tri's and running races that I am looking forward to trying out.

I feel really good so far this week. I guess the recovery week blues (feeling tired and lazy) are over for me. A short run and a long bike ride this weekend and I'll be really happy about the week.

I was looking over my training from last year and noticed I started OWS's this week last year. I'm not sure I can HTFU enough to get in the water this week. I'm surrounded by water but I can't find an indoor pool any place close to me.

2011-05-12 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

After tendonitis, I am anal about wearing new shoes.  Still, I am nursing a knee that feels like it has a bruise.  I think it is minor tendonitis again.  Ran 6 miles ok with it last night.  But feels like I bumped something though I know I didn't.  Watching it. 

2011-05-12 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3495311

User image

Regular
Connecticut

The weather is still crappy here - blowing snow since yesterday morning. Temps right around freezing.

EEEWWW!  I won't complain about 50 degree weather any more.

2011-05-12 11:43 AM

User image

Regular
Connecticut
Thanks, guys, for the shoe advise.  I guess I will go get new ones!  I have been buying saucony for years.  They just seem to fit me well.
2011-05-12 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3495376

User image

Regular
Connecticut
acv - 2011-05-12 10:37 AM

Running Shoe Question:

I have read that some people replace their sneaks every 3 months.  I don't get enough miles in to need them that often... But I have been running in the same pairs for an embarrasingly long time.  The one pair I have had about 2 years now and they are just so comfy.  Do I HAVE to replace them?  When I first started running, I could tell when I needed new sneaks.  My shins would hurt.  Now, it seems I have built up enough muscles that that no longer happens. 

This are kinda cool:http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteController/saucony/productdetails?catId=cat10002&productId=4-105720&skuId=***4********10098-1*M055&stockNumber=10098-1&showDefaultOption=true

I bought a new pair of shoes at the start of the season. I wanted something that I could wear sockless and went with a pair nike run free+. Unfortunately they didn’t work for me. I had a lot of knee pair from using them. Too bad cause I bought the whole minimal shoe thing hook, line and sinker from that salesperson at the running store. Maybe I got caught up in the minimal running shoe thing but the sales person analyzed my foot and stride and gave me a bunch of options that should have worked for me and the nike’s felt the best.

Anyway a couple months later and I’m back to using my old nike’s (that have been discontinued BTW) and I’m feeling stronger every run. I realized that I’m a natural heal striker and that changing my stride to accommodate a new shoe that doesn’t have the heel cushioning that I’m used was just not good for me.

So I’m due for a new pair of shoes. So to answer the original question I’ve been buying them about once a year. I try to buy them at the start of the season so I can ease into them.

I have a pair of VFF's I have been learning to run in... but barefoot/minimalist running is a completely different thing (to me) than running in sneakers.  I am only up to about 2 miles in them.  They work my calves real good.  Minimalist running and running with a jogging stroller should each be considered their own sport!

2011-05-12 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3495684

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
scraver - 2011-05-12 12:46 PM

Running Shoe Question:

I have a pair of VFF's I have been learning to run in... but barefoot/minimalist running is a completely different thing (to me) than running in sneakers.  I am only up to about 2 miles in them.  They work my calves real good.  Minimalist running and running with a jogging stroller should each be considered their own sport!

I was trying to ease into minimal fotwear and thought the run free+ would be a good transitional shoe. But even at the low mileage I was doing I felt every inch of pavement under my foot. So many things hurt that I was thinking that I was not going to be able to do any races longer than a sprint race this year.

After switching back to my old shoes the pain was almost gone by the second run and now I feel really good again. I really wanted them to work fo me but it just didn't happen.

One benefit from the bad start to my year with my running was that I really pushed my early bike rides and that has been such a benefit to me.

2011-05-12 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3495327

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
robingray_260 - 2011-05-12 8:12 AM

I will have to go to the gym to get a workout in - I am suffering from major lack of motivation Frown

Also, need to make a dr. appt today about my arm/shoulder - not sure it is just a sprain.

It is supposed to be nice starting tomorrow and through the weekend (fingers crossed!).

It was snowing at my house this morning as well.  fun, fun, not!

2011-05-12 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3495802

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-05-12 1:47 PM
robingray_260 - 2011-05-12 8:12 AM

It was snowing at my house this morning as well.  fun, fun, not!

Ok then, Colorado and Wyoming are now added to my never want to move there list! Wink

2011-05-12 6:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Ken I had no snow at my house just on the other side of town from Kathleen...and it will be in the 60's to high 70's next week....Colorado is beautiful....but you definitely wouldn't want to live here. (we're keeping how wonderful it is a secret!)
2011-05-12 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3496389

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

julta - 2011-05-12 6:42 PM Ken I had no snow at my house just on the other side of town from Kathleen...and it will be in the 60's to high 70's next week....Colorado is beautiful....but you definitely wouldn't want to live here. (we're keeping how wonderful it is a secret!)

x2 - just wait til August when it is in the 80's here!

2011-05-12 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3494892

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Kath2163 - 2011-05-11 11:32 PM

julta - 2011-05-11 7:30 PM Hey all things are moving along in here! So let's see...I'm just riding a bottom of the line Specialized road bike, no aero bars. I'm a little frightened of the whole idea of being aero. As far as races for May all I'm planning to sign up for the Bolder Boulder 10k which is held on memorial day. It is a huge! race in Boulder as I recall last year there were some where around 50,000 runners. I did it last year for the first time and it was a blast so I'm looking forward to running it again. Scott very nice picture!!! Hey Robin I'll have to see what's going on that weekend maybe I can come up to Ft. Collins and volunteer or just cheer you on! It would be fun to meet you!

If it works out, maybe both Julie and I could come watch you race.

That would be awesome! let me know and I will make sure you have my cell #. Never done this race, but it looks like a nice one.

2011-05-12 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3495785

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
acv - 2011-05-12 12:35 PM
scraver - 2011-05-12 12:46 PM

Running Shoe Question:

I was trying to ease into minimal fotwear and thought the run free+ would be a good transitional shoe. But even at the low mileage I was doing I felt every inch of pavement under my foot. So many things hurt that I was thinking that I was not going to be able to do any races longer than a sprint race this year.

After switching back to my old shoes the pain was almost gone by the second run and now I feel really good again. I really wanted them to work fo me but it just didn't happen.

One benefit from the bad start to my year with my running was that I really pushed my early bike rides and that has been such a benefit to me.

I am having a similar problem with my new shoes. I went from Nike Zoom Triax to Nike Zoom Vomero. Very similar shoes except the new ones are more neutral (with less cushioning) and the old ones were more for stability. I have worn the new ones now for about 15 miles and the balls of my feet fall asleep every time I run. I am not sure if it is the shoe, my feet,  or if I just need to break them in longer. I have extremely high arches and very narrow feet - so finding shoes can be difficult. I am hoping the new ones work as I really don't want to have to buy another pair of shoes right now!

2011-05-13 4:23 AM
in reply to: #3496389

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
julta - 2011-05-12 7:42 PM Ken I had no snow at my house just on the other side of town from Kathleen...and it will be in the 60's to high 70's next week....Colorado is beautiful....but you definitely wouldn't want to live here. (we're keeping how wonderful it is a secret!)

My son used to live outside of Aspen, I know it is a beautiful state.  You also get a lot more sunny days than we do here.

Although I have never been there, I am sure that Wyoming is beautiful as well.  And for the record, the next time I move it will be to a state (or country) that the national media is there if it snows. Cool

2011-05-13 4:26 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
For those that have tried or are trying the minimalist shoes, is there a reason you are doing that?  A friend of mine has found that it has reduced his running injuries but it was like starting over. 

Just wondering the motivation for trying.
2011-05-13 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3496776

User image

Regular
Connecticut

kenj - 2011-05-13 5:26 AM For those that have tried or are trying the minimalist shoes, is there a reason you are doing that?  A friend of mine has found that it has reduced his running injuries but it was like starting over. 

Because it is the cool thing to do. 

And I have been having fun - wearing the goofy shoes, meeting other minimalist runners, learning a new way to run, etc.  I am looking for ways to enjoy being physically active (hence the now trying out a Triathlon).  This was something fun to try.  I love wearing my VFF's.  I want to get a second pair for bumming around on the weekends.

It IS like starting over.  I bought my VFF's, joined a group and immediately did a 3 mile jog.  For a WEEK, I could barely walk.  My calves were well beyond that nice I-am-sore-and-it-feels-good-b/c-I-had-a-good-workout sore.  Going up and down stairs was like torture.

2011-05-13 9:10 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

I'm with Ken on a few points: I live in Houston and while it does get crazy hot in the summer you can still train in it. The weather doesn't get in our way very often. My rule in the winter is to not bike below my age and I only miss a couple of weekends a year. Our training and most of our racing season is all year. First good tri's are in March and go through November. I love the option of having so many events. There is a triathlon in Houston just about every single weekend. I lived in Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis where it gets just as hot as it does here just not as long and the winters are simply horrible. Most of my family lives in Colorado and while it is beautiful it is CRAZY expensive compared to Houston and we would only live there if we could afford a second winter home somewhere else.

I'll also chime in on the minimalist discussion - I think this is a trend and in 15 years or so people will say 'remember when there were folks running barefoot or in those funny looking toe shoes' and have a good laugh. My husband and I both have VFFs but neither of us run in them. I ran once from my house around the corner to the mail box and thought my legs were going to crumble. NOT a good feeling after running about 150 yards. I think minimalist shoes *can* work for *some* people but I don't think they work for most people.

I see chiropractor who specializes in ART = Active Release Techniques, he is also an ultra runner and is training for triathlon. He told me since people started wearing minimalist shoes his business is BOOMING! He is seeing more injuries now than he has seen in the last 5 years. When he has a patient come in the first thing he does is ask what shoes they are wearing but he says half the time he can tell them based on their injuries. For most folks swapping traditional running shoes for minimalist shoes is swapping injuries. It does change your technique but should you be changing your technique? If it's not broke, don't fix it.

2011-05-13 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3496776

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

kenj - 2011-05-13 5:26 AM For those that have tried or are trying the minimalist shoes, is there a reason you are doing that?  A friend of mine has found that it has reduced his running injuries but it was like starting over. 

Don't we all ant t be injury free? I think that was why I wanted to give it a shot.

2011-05-13 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3497346

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-05-13 11:37 AM

Don't we all ant t be injury free? I think that was why I wanted to give it a shot.

I agree we all want to be injury free, which is why I haven't tried them.  I don't have many running injuries and when I do it isn't something that this would have prevented (usually it is just me being stupid doing more than I should). 

2011-05-13 12:42 PM

User image

Regular
Maryland

Hey there, what are people's plan for the weekend?

I'm going to try for a bike ride tomorrow, though they're calling for rain.  If that's the case, will try to catch a spin class or ride the stationary bike at the gym.

Good news to report!  I actually ran for 2.5 miles straight this morning!  I warmed up for 1/4 mi., and cooled down for another 1/4 mi.  Super slow, but it was a good feeling to be able to accomplish that!

2011-05-13 12:46 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Well done Viv!!!

It's all downhill from there.

2011-05-13 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3497562

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kenj - 2011-05-13 1:08 PM
acv - 2011-05-13 11:37 AM

I agree we all want to be injury free, which is why I haven't tried them.  I don't have many running injuries and when I do it isn't something that this would have prevented (usually it is just me being stupid doing more than I should). 

Hence the reason why I'm back to using my old shoes - the new more minimal shoes caused me a lot of pain. Surprised

PS I should have put a smiley face after my other comment it was more tongue and cheek! Embarassed

2011-05-13 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3497641

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Viyoung - 2011-05-13 1:42 PM

Hey there, what are people's plan for the weekend?

I'm going to try for a bike ride tomorrow, though they're calling for rain.  If that's the case, will try to catch a spin class or ride the stationary bike at the gym.

Good news to report!  I actually ran for 2.5 miles straight this morning!  I warmed up for 1/4 mi., and cooled down for another 1/4 mi.  Super slow, but it was a good feeling to be able to accomplish that!

WOW nice job! Slow and steady works.

I'm planning on a long bike ride tomorrow morning.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72