BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-06-10 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4253038

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL!
skibummer - 2012-06-09 11:40 AM

This weekend needs to get amped up because I took three days off from training this week. Usually I take one or two. I'm trying to find the balance between family and sport. Also, the weather has been awful. It finally climbed to 70 deg. this week but that causes thunder storms.

So I plan on a long bike ride today, MAYBE a swim Sunday and definitely a run. This is all pending that my wife gives me permission, of course.

Marcus: What part of The Shore do you go to? I lived in Ocean County, NJ through high school, and worked at Seaside Heights during the summers. No, I didn't know Snookie.  

Good luck Ski - I hope you get a chance for a good cleansing arse kicking workout!

2012-06-10 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4252876

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Zbridget - 2012-06-09 7:27 AM

stephsprint - 2012-06-08 7:56 AM OK gang, what's up for the weekend?

4 mile run for me- maybe more, I have been keeping up with the 3.2 mi "run for beer" gang on Tuesday nights- want to increase my distance to 6 mi by the end of the month.

HM in September

Burning out from weight watchers- tired of counting points, I am so close to goal that it's killing me.  I'm just concentrating on eating healthy.  

BTW, eliminating ice cream is out of the question!  Not that I eat it that often.  All the local stands are open for the summer, and I love the home made stuff.  

Bridget

I'm still so jealous of the 'run for beer' thing, I can't stand it.
2012-06-10 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4128264

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Can't wait to hear how Terri the awk did on her race.

I met the team this morning for a long run. I only made 3 miles. Geesh, it was tough. 85 degrees and humid. I also did a fair amount of walking so I'm not sure if I made a total of 4 miles or not. BUT my cadence was good, my heart rate OK, and my miles were 12:23 on average. For a long run I should actually be 30 seconds slower than that, but hell. I'm starting over so this is fine. I love my new footpod, keeps my steps light which probably also makes me go a little faster. I wore my Newtons, which the coach hates, so it was fun to torture him.

Lots of folks missed the run this morning due to being up late watching the HEAT beat the Celtics. I couldn't stay up for the whole game so I'm watching the last 9 minutes now. Cool.

Tomorrow morning is pool swim. Tuesday, bike. 5:45 is so early, but that's the way we do it down here...don't want to be out much past 6:30am.
2012-06-10 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4253764

User image

New user
Stonington, CT

Bridget

I'm still so jealous of the 'run for beer' thing, I can't stand it.Tuesday's at 6 pm at the Dog Watch Cafe in Stonington CT. See you this week?
2012-06-10 10:21 AM

User image

New user
Stonington, CT
Ran with my new app for the first time today, ismoothrunning. 4.21 miles at 10.41 miles a min- my last run forBeer was about 10 min mi for 3.2. I run faster for beer!Have a great weekend everyone!
2012-06-10 2:51 PM

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN

EQUIPMENT QUESTION FOR EVERYONE:

Im wanting to buy a GPS trainer, but not sure which one to get.  I know that Garmin seems to be the top dog on the block.  But after searching several ones, I have found that I am liking the Motorola Motoactv.  Not only does it have all the features the Garmin has, it also has a smart mp3 player that remembers which songs pump you up and make you run faster and creates a special play list with them.

I dont know how you guys download your workout data via your GPS on this site yet, I was wondering if the Motoactv can do that too?

Dont want to spend all that money on a GPS if it isnt what I am expecting it to be.

Does anyone know anything about the Motoactv? 

Or any suggestions on which GPS would be a great buy?

Thanks

Okey

2012-06-10 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4254070

User image

New user
Stonington, CT
oak73 - 2012-06-10 3:51 PM

Im wanting to buy a GPS trainer, but not sure which one to get.  I know that Garmin seems to be the top dog on the block.  But after searching several ones, I have found that I am liking the Motorola Motoactv.  Not only does it have all the features the Garmin has, it also has a smart mp3 player that remembers which songs pump you up and make you run faster and creates a special play list with them.

I dont know how you guys download your workout data via your GPS on this site yet, I was wondering if the Motoactv can do that too?

Dont want to spend all that money on a GPS if it isnt what I am expecting it to be.

Thanks

Okey

I would like to know this as well. My polar hr monitor is pretty basic. & I am still learning he iPod app I am using. I like the pump up feature on the mp3 list you mentioned. Bridget
2012-06-10 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4253783

User image

stephsprint - 2012-06-10 8:50 AM Can't wait to hear how Terri the awk did on her race.

5:45 is so early, but that's the way we do it down here...don't want to be out much past 6:30am.

Hey all,

Done.  Fini.  And still alive to talk about it.  A well-run all women's race, lots of bright sunny skies and no real issues other than my poor swim performance.  Terrible sighting on the dogleg first length into the sun trying to get clear of the wave.  Hope I didn't impede anyone or mess them up too badly.  Embarassed  2 lap bike course was uneventful, i'm just slow - not enough bike time yet and I don't use a road bike.  Run course was hot, but there were 4 or 5 aid stations (in a 5K!) plus 2 misting stations, 2 stations with ice and 1 with wet towels.   Well planned for the weather conditions.

Surprisingly, based on just a wild guess on my estimated bike time, I finished 1 minute under the total time I had predicted.  Who'da thunk?  

I am definitely an over-thinker, over-packer, over-planner etc. when it comes to races.  2 things I won't do again - 1) race belt-didn't work for me, ended up spun around at the finish. :p  2) don't try to eat GU and change gears with the same hand.  duh  

Thanks to everyone for all the support and good wishes!

I have decided I will S/B/R in exchange for cheesecake.  Wink

2012-06-10 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4254085

User image

Elite
washington state
awk1987 - 2012-06-10 1:15 PM

stephsprint - 2012-06-10 8:50 AM Can't wait to hear how Terri the awk did on her race.

5:45 is so early, but that's the way we do it down here...don't want to be out much past 6:30am.

Hey all,

Done.  Fini.  And still alive to talk about it.  A well-run all women's race, lots of bright sunny skies and no real issues other than my poor swim performance.  Terrible sighting on the dogleg first length into the sun trying to get clear of the wave.  Hope I didn't impede anyone or mess them up too badly.  Embarassed  2 lap bike course was uneventful, i'm just slow - not enough bike time yet and I don't use a road bike.  Run course was hot, but there were 4 or 5 aid stations (in a 5K!) plus 2 misting stations, 2 stations with ice and 1 with wet towels.   Well planned for the weather conditions.

Surprisingly, based on just a wild guess on my estimated bike time, I finished 1 minute under the total time I had predicted.  Who'da thunk?  

I am definitely an over-thinker, over-packer, over-planner etc. when it comes to races.  2 things I won't do again - 1) race belt-didn't work for me, ended up spun around at the finish. :p  2) don't try to eat GU and change gears with the same hand.  duh  

Great job!

2012-06-11 6:57 AM

awk1987 - 2012-06-10 4:15 PM

Like. Congrats on the finish to you and all the others who raced this weekend.

Day 2 of getting up early instead of going out late. A nice little 4.5 mile run on the trails. Stopped for about five minutes to watch the trout rising in the pond. Was about to swim in it, but didn't. Maybe later today if not stormy by then. Got home to see both my kids waiting near the door. Apparently my dog started barking when I left and woke everybody up. So much for that training plan. It turned out to be a good thing because I accidently locked myself out of the house. Made the kids breakfast at 5:30AM, about :30 minutes ahead of our regularly scheduled time. Next time the dog comes with me and I check the locks before I go out.

I feel ready to take on the day after my morning workout, although I have to admit I am a little tired and it's not even 8AM yet. Will have to get to bed earlier the night before these dawn patrols. That will take some discipline, but usually I'm asleep before 10PM anyway. Most likely an easy or rest day tomorrow. MUST SWIM!!!

2012-06-11 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
awk1987 - 2012-06-10 4:15 PM

Hey all,

Well done!  Sounds like you rocked the she rock! 

Now there is an idea-- cheesecake at the finish. Could have a nice variety, cheesecake with strawberries, cheesecake plain, cheesecake with raspberries,  cheesecake with chocolate.. suddenly I am craving cheesecake. 

2012-06-11 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4254070

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

Thanks

Okey

Okey,

Are you looking for a GPS or a heart rate monitor.  If you are just after a GPS that plays mp3s, depending on the phone you have there are lots of apps that already do this.  I have an Iphone and use my app to track all workouts except strength and swimming. I would mention the name of the app, but it is from a competing site. It allows me to use the GPS built into my phone to track all my runs and rides, plus the option to manually enter in training for the days that I am on the treadmill or stationary bike.  BT also has an app that does some of this, but I find it to still be a bit premature. 

I haven't leaped into the wold of a heart rate monitor just yet.  I have been ogling the Garmin, but it is a bit steep at the moment.  I keep telling myself I will pick one up at the end of the model year, but then I find the newer model just too appealing. 

--marcus

2012-06-11 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

Question for everyone, actually two questions.

How long are everyone's running shoes lasting before they need to be replaced.  I am starting to get some foot issues in my current pair and they have about 245.07 miles on them.  It seems a bit early, but it was the same symptoms I had before I replaced the last pair.  Considering, my previous pair went over 400 miles (probably pushed them a bit too long.)

Question numero two. 

What kind of ear phones is everyone using on their MP3 players.  I still use the defacto Iphone ear phones, but they are not very sweat resistant.  Once the sweat gets inside the on wire controls they start to do random things, which is annoying to say the least.   I like the overall fit. I have tried the skull candy replacements, but they just dont say in my ear.  Any suggestions?

--Thanks Marcus

2012-06-11 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4255013

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
otisbrown - 2012-06-11 8:48 AM

Question for everyone, actually two questions.

How long are everyone's running shoes lasting before they need to be replaced.  I am starting to get some foot issues in my current pair and they have about 245.07 miles on them.  It seems a bit early, but it was the same symptoms I had before I replaced the last pair.  Considering, my previous pair went over 400 miles (probably pushed them a bit too long.)

My shoes last anywhere from 250 to 300 miles.  I currently am running in Nikes which do break down faster (confirmed by my friend who works in a running store)  When I ran in Brooks I seemed to get about 350.  Then they went on changed my shoe, I hate that.  I too can tell when certain aches and pains start happening that it's time for a new pair.

2012-06-11 5:16 PM
in reply to: #4254078

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN
Zbridget - 2012-06-10 3:00 PM

Thanks

Okey

I would like to know this as well. My polar hr monitor is pretty basic. & I am still learning he iPod app I am using. I like the pump up feature on the mp3 list you mentioned. Bridget

Its powered by Android software...it comes in either 8gb or 16gb.  Itune and media player downloads, comes with a watch band strap...has attactments for puting on your bike, works with all blue tooth devices, and also you can get wireless head phones for it.  They say they will have continual free software upgrades.  Looks like the 8gb goes for $220, and the 16gb goes for $280.  Also has heart monitor too.  Im really thinking about getting this.

2012-06-12 7:08 AM

All you tech geeks are killing me. I would love to get my hands on some of these products. Recently I have been going out with just a stop watch and guessing my distances. VERY uncharacteristic. Usually carry a GPS, or drive my route and check the odometer, or check my mileage with Map My Run. When I go tech free, from experience I know that on the trails I can put up between a 9-10 minute mile. I just do the simple math after.

SWIM!! About 400 yards. A good start. My form has deteriorated, but it felt great to get wet again. There was a rather large group of 20somethings partying there. I've heard of pace booty, but shore booty is a little harder to appreciate. A couple of them were fishing, so I had to swim way out. Turns out that the pond gets a little shallower as it goes out. The scariest part was closest to the beach where, for some reason, it drops down deep. Still got me nervous every time I had to cross the 'deep end'. Weirdness. I had to trail run .5 miles each way to get to the water because parking was jammed from these folks. That took away from some of the session time because I promised my wife I wouldn't be out past 6 o'clock. If the storms hold off, I'll get in again today. Praying for more shore booty.Cool

2012-06-12 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4256357

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
oak73 - 2012-06-11 6:16 PM [

Its powered by Android software...it comes in either 8gb or 16gb.  Itune and media player downloads, comes with a watch band strap...has attactments for puting on your bike, works with all blue tooth devices, and also you can get wireless head phones for it.  They say they will have continual free software upgrades.  Looks like the 8gb goes for $220, and the 16gb goes for $280.  Also has heart monitor too.  Im really thinking about getting this.

Sounds similar to an ANT+ device for the Iphone, but stand alone. The free software upgrades dont always mean all that much as it is typical for a vendor to stop providing updates once the new model year is out.

Any time I look at a device like that I worry that it is a jack of all trades and I wonder if it really does all the things you really need it to well or just kinda ho hum.

2012-06-12 7:38 PM
in reply to: #4257101

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
skibummer - 2012-06-12 8:08 AM

All you tech geeks are killing me. I would love to get my hands on some of these products. Recently I have been going out with just a stop watch and guessing my distances. VERY uncharacteristic. Usually carry a GPS, or drive my route and check the odometer, or check my mileage with Map My Run. When I go tech free, from experience I know that on the trails I can put up between a 9-10 minute mile. I just do the simple math after.

SWIM!! About 400 yards. A good start. My form has deteriorated, but it felt great to get wet again. There was a rather large group of 20somethings partying there. I've heard of pace booty, but shore booty is a little harder to appreciate. A couple of them were fishing, so I had to swim way out. Turns out that the pond gets a little shallower as it goes out. The scariest part was closest to the beach where, for some reason, it drops down deep. Still got me nervous every time I had to cross the 'deep end'. Weirdness. I had to trail run .5 miles each way to get to the water because parking was jammed from these folks. That took away from some of the session time because I promised my wife I wouldn't be out past 6 o'clock. If the storms hold off, I'll get in again today. Praying for more shore booty.Cool

Nice getting out there is AM!  

Were you able to get that shore booty??  How is the ice cream challenge going?  So far I have been killing it, but then wifey made chocolate chip cookies so I have a substitute. 

2012-06-12 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4255777

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
suzimmer - 2012-06-11 2:34 PM 

My shoes last anywhere from 250 to 300 miles.  I currently am running in Nikes which do break down faster (confirmed by my friend who works in a running store)  When I ran in Brooks I seemed to get about 350.  Then they went on changed my shoe, I hate that.  I too can tell when certain aches and pains start happening that it's time for a new pair.

Thanks Suzi,

I have heard some folks buy there shoes in pairs to help increase the life?  Have you or any one else tried that.. any success to it?

2012-06-13 7:08 AM
in reply to: #4258625

otisbrown - 2012-06-12 8:38 PM 

Were you able to get that shore booty??  How is the ice cream challenge going?  So far I have been killing it, but then wifey made chocolate chip cookies so I have a substitute. 

No ice cream yet. Been substituting with a bowl of mini wheats cereal instead. My co-workers (polar opposites of me) can not fathom why I would want to deny myself such a treat. They also wonder why I would want to S/B/R. They are also overweight and diabetic. It reinforces my habits. In fact, over the years much of my life has been changed by not wanting to become the people I work with.

RE: Shore booty: Although I am married, I couldn't resist saying hello as I walked past the girls. Not sure a young pretty girl would want anything to do with a guy who has a wife, kids, and has to work two jobs to cover his bills. AND I'm sure my wife would NOT be cool with me dating other chicks. Like I tell my wife: On my schedule, WHEN would I be able to see other chicks? I think I could fit an affair in from 2:30-2:45AM on the third Thursday of every 5th month. (If I was a sleazy male skank, but I am not.)

2012-06-13 7:12 AM

1000 yard pond swim in the rain Tuesday afternoon. Three kids fishing soon left. While wading knee deep trying to get the nerve to jump in, a crayfish tried to eat my big toe. Almost made 100yds non stop, but my sighting still needs work and had to break form to look around. 

2012-06-13 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4259044

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

skibummer - 2012-06-13 8:12 AM 1000 yard pond swim in the rain Tuesday afternoon. Three kids fishing soon left. While wading knee deep trying to get the nerve to jump in, a crayfish tried to eat my big toe. Almost made 100yds non stop, but my sighting still needs work and had to break form to look around. 

Nothing like a crayfish to get you moving and the non-health conscious to get you motivated. 

2012-06-13 11:40 PM

User image

New user

I know I have been a little absent lately, but life has been hectic.  Was sick most of last week, and feeling it this week in training.  I haven't had sore and fatigued muscles for a long time, and now all of a sudden I am almost aching everywhere!

Did a swim time trial this morning, and have knocked 15 seconds per 100m off my first time trial 10 weeks ago - I am stoked!  Wouldn't say I'm very fast, and certainly not going to win any races, but training is definitely moving me in the right direction.

Planning my first ever race next weekend (24th June), was going to do a sprint tri, but I don't have a bike, and not feeling very confident about it, so thinking I'll just run the 5km instead....

Anyway, sounds like everyone is powering on at the moment!!  Keep it up!

Suzanne

2012-06-14 5:54 AM
in reply to: #4259044

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
skibummer - 2012-06-13 8:12 AM

1000 yard pond swim in the rain Tuesday afternoon. Three kids fishing soon left. While wading knee deep trying to get the nerve to jump in, a crayfish tried to eat my big toe. Almost made 100yds non stop, but my sighting still needs work and had to break form to look around. 

The IDEA of creepy crawly things certainly gets me across the water quickly. Swimming in the rain had to be interesting!
2012-06-14 5:56 AM
in reply to: #4259038

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
skibummer - 2012-06-13 8:08 AM

otisbrown - 2012-06-12 8:38 PM 

No ice cream yet. Been substituting with a bowl of mini wheats cereal instead. My co-workers (polar opposites of me) can not fathom why I would want to deny myself such a treat. They also wonder why I would want to S/B/R. They are also overweight and diabetic. It reinforces my habits. In fact, over the years much of my life has been changed by not wanting to become the people I work with.

RE: Shore booty: Although I am married, I couldn't resist saying hello as I walked past the girls. Not sure a young pretty girl would want anything to do with a guy who has a wife, kids, and has to work two jobs to cover his bills. AND I'm sure my wife would NOT be cool with me dating other chicks. Like I tell my wife: On my schedule, WHEN would I be able to see other chicks? I think I could fit an affair in from 2:30-2:45AM on the third Thursday of every 5th month. (If I was a sleazy male skank, but I am not.)

Skank is one of my favorite words! You make me laugh!

One of the things I love about triathlon is the bodies.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  

of 45