BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-02-03 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4606684

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.
Baowolf - 2013-02-03 4:29 PM

30F = indoor trainer 8).  If you are determined to bike in it, you need wool socks, hole in shoes taped shut, neopreme shoe covers, and lots of layers of stuff, thermals, kind of like a down hill skiing set up, windproof tights, full downhill ski gloves, full facemask, with windcover over the top of the helmet, thermas to keep water from freezing or camelback under your jacket with neopreem hose cover... etc. 

So today was an experiment, jogging against a 2 mph current in my pool with water at chest to shoulder deep.  May have cooked the calves a bit, but the knee was fine with it.. for 5 miles ish. I ran in the vibrims and well my feet may have never been this clean.  A bit sensitive.  We see how the calves are tomorrow. 

There was quite a bit of frost on the ground, but I just checked the weather of this morning and the temp was more like 40.  I think I'd have been ok with taped holes on the shoes and wool socks. My hands were pretty cold on the way home. Next time I'd start on the trainer and wait till the sun comes up to do the rest of the ride.

Steve: Cool to hear about your water run. 5 miles.. that is a lot of perseverance. I did some water running last summer when I had pain in my feet. I'm wondering about your injuries. Are they related to your bicycle accident?  

2013-02-03 8:41 PM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Quick report in.  I haven't caught up on all of the posts (Super Bowl game is dull but I have to watch the commercials) so I've just had time to read the last page of posts.

Steve, you so crack me up describing bonking.  I remember day early in training where I really lots in on nutrition and I wanted to lie beside the road, thumb in mouth, curl up in the fetl position, and baw like a baby.

Goodness I spoke too soon.  Is SF going to come back?

Mike, glad you got your mojo back.  You have a lot going on.

Samantha, love the description of the retarded side of your body.  I think I've got two retarded sides.

Ken and Carol, you both make those 18 and 20 mile runs look ez!!!!

Kate, we are from FL.  We are supposed to go outside when it's 30.

Thanks to all of you beautiful people for the race wishes!  I took time during the race to reflect on each of you; I felt you with me.  Remember that I'm slow (hubby calls me a diesel - not a sleek sexy sports car).  This was my last planned mary and I wanted a PR so I could say "Yay, I'm done."  My pastor (who also runs) asked me what I would do it I didn't get a PR and I told him I'd say, "Sh*t but I'm still done."  Well it was close, close, close, close but "Yay, I'm done."  4:47:53 but "Yay, it's over and done."  I'm proud of hubby too.  His first HM and he was also having major ITB issues and didn't know if he could even start.  Beautiful negative splits for him - picked up a mile a minute on the way back in.

January's totals:
Bike:3h 35m  - 46.5 Mi
Run:22h 49m 39s  - 122.4 Mi
Strength:10h 33m
Feb will be totally different.  Let's see if we can switch the bike and run miles and add in swimming.  I start swimming TOMORROW.

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-02-03 9:03 PM
2013-02-03 9:27 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Wooohoooo!  So happy for you, Pam!  What a day for you and your hubby .  The pool might feel good, but geesh...maybe time for a day off???  You probably thought you would only get a medal and a shirt, but we hereby award you a free pass on the crunch challenge. 
2013-02-03 9:57 PM
in reply to: #4606982

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

squirt - 2013-02-03 10:27 PM Wooohoooo!  So happy for you, Pam!  What a day for you and your hubby .  The pool might feel good, but geesh...maybe time for a day off???  You probably thought you would only get a medal and a shirt, but we hereby award you a free pass on the crunch challenge. 

Well, crap, I already dropped down and did them tonight during the Super Bowl.  Did my plank too (but I only did 1 min on the plank).  I may use my free pass tomorrow if I find myself unable to move.  Hey, what are you doing online during the Super Bowl?

2013-02-03 10:17 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Congrats to you and your hubby, Pam!  Great job!  You, Ken and Carol are making me want to try one more Mary.  Kind of. 

Is there a plank challenge for February?  Wow, I totally suck at planks and need to do more.

Glad that week is behind me.  Ready for a fresh start tomorrow!

Stu

2013-02-04 7:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Great job Pam.  I am sure you are really excited about your PR.  Congrats to your hubby as well.  Pushing through that pain is tough.  

2013-02-04 7:29 AM
in reply to: #4607235

User image

Expert
kmatt318 - 2013-02-04 8:19 AM

Great job Pam.  I am sure you are really excited about your PR.  Congrats to your hubby as well.  Pushing through that pain is tough.  

+1 Great job Pam!!!

2013-02-04 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Pam, now that's some dedication....crunches and planks during the superbowl after a marathon!  Yes, I'm the world's worst football fan.  Went grocery shopping during the 1st half.  They may revoke my Texan card for that.

Stu, uhoh, don't let the marathon bug bite you again !

Ken, when you can put "great" and "18 mile run" in the same sentence you've got some mad fitness going on!

Joe, up and down weather is hard to deal with.  Way to hang in there!

Kate, brrrrrrrr.....that bike ride sounds miserable.  Glad your fingers and toes came out OK after some warming up. 

Mike, this one's for you....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEzTdBJUHO8

Anthony, training > logging.  Keep up the good work, and share it when you can.

Samantha, congrats on the 10 minute mile!  Here's to build phase #2!  Know what you mean about God providing at just the right times.  Gal from church gave me a book yesterday by a local pastor friend of hers who is a trail runner.  Only a couple chapters in so far, but he draws lots of parallels between physical and spiritual fitness.

Steve, way to go in the aquajogging ingenuity!  Hope it winds up being a good tool in your arsenal.  I appreciate the vote of confidence, and also the great description of running with a fatigue load.

Felt pretty ground down the last week and runs got slower, so pretty much hitting that fatigue description all the way.  Nothing is injured, but after a 5 mile "recovery" run yesterday, I still don't feel recovered from Friday's long run.  So taking today off other than situps, stretching, and foam roller. 

Steve, on the taper, here's what I came up with.  Would much appreciate any input:

Wk 1 - 80% recent volume (1 run incl 6 X 800, 1 incl 7 MP miles, 12 mi LR, and a couple of fillers)

Wk 2 - 60% of recent volume (1 run incl 5 X 800, 1 incl 6 MP miles, 8 mi LR, and a couple fillers)

Wk 3 - 33% of recent volume (1 run incl 3 X 800, 1 incl 5 MP miles, 4 ez, rest, rest, 3 ez, marathon)

2013-02-04 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Congrats, Pam to you & your husband!

Carol thanks for the link. Made me smiile, thats for sure.

Hit the pool this AM and put in a good 2500 yards. was particularly happy I was able to hold a constant 1:32 pace on the last 500 yards.

Yesterday was not so much tri training, but certainly was a day of exercise -- packing up our entire kitchen, moving boxes, chairs, and anything else you can find in a kitchen either up or down stairs. A LONG day of hauling stuff and making me glad that 'furniture mover' is one career option I'm happy I did not pursue. Tonight I get to go home and move all the newly removed cabinets to my garage, and make room so the new ones will have a place to go when delivered tomorrow.  Life with no kitchen for 2 weeks begins today.

2013-02-04 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Hey everybody.  I just wanted to check in.  Believe it or not I have been lurking along on a daily basis.

a few points I wanted to point out:

Carol - you are amazing.  Dealing with all the adversity with your training is quite an accomplishment.  You inspire me!

Ken - You are fast.  Keep it up..

Mike D - The ups and downs are definitely hard to deal with.  take it one day at a time and prioritize!  I have a 3 year old, one on the way and am self employed.  Balance is the key...

Pam - Very cool.  Congrats to you and your husband.

Stu - it's easy to catch that bug after reading all the inspirational stories.

Steve - I feel your pain with training.  Sounds like you are figuring out a way to train safely..

Samantha - fitness is a big part of my spirituality.  Many, Many parallels.

I'm sorry that I couldn't comment on everybody.  Lots to follow.  Hopefully I didn't mix anybody up!

OK, as for me.  To catch up I have been injured the last year.  Broke my foot last Jan, then did IM Cali on it and really messed it up.  After trying many, many different things I have just recently turned a corner.  NMR (Neuromuscular Re-education) therapy and physical therapy has been the key.   I am now doing the Winter cycling program (on day 10), and after today's PT appt, I will be starting a slow running program.  Hopefully I will build a base for the next couple months and then if all goes well I will sign up for something at the end of the year.  Maybe a HIM? 

I have to tell you I am very excited to train again.  My biggest fear was that I would lose my motivation, but this year I have kept up on all you guys and it has really made a difference.  You all have kept me motivated through one of the toughest times in my Tri career!

I"m going to try to start posting again.  Thank you everybody!

2013-02-04 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

I just re-read my post from last night.  I must have been watching the Super Bowl more than I thought because much of my post made no flipping sense today.  So sorry.  Kate, I was trying to say that in Florida, we should NOT leave the house if it's 30 degrees.

Mitch, so glad to see you back!  You said it well that others can inspire us when we are sidelined.  This is an inspirational group.  So glad that you are back to training.

Stu, never let anything I say or do influence you toward a marathon.  Ken and Carol are studs and I'm going to run any future marathons vicariously thru them.

Oh my, today was a lesson in humility.  I finally went for my first swim session since {gulp} last October.  I am so exhausted.  I stopped my watch every time I rested -which was frequent.  I lost count on the total laps but I think it was around 1100 yards - maybe a little less.  I practiced as many techniques as I could remember that you have all discussed.  I tried long stokes where I hit my thigh on every pulldown, fast strokes where I felt like a waterbug, side strokes as a recovery, breast stroke (I didn't go under tho.  Steve, do you stay on top of the water or go under?), and swimming with my fists for balance.  I calculated my golf score which I think sucked at 93 (37 secs, 25 yards, 31 strokes - is that correct?). 

I must say, Samantha, I think I understand about the faster turnover that your coach mentioned.  I felt like I just moved across the top of the water when I did that; liked the feeling but arms were exhausted.  But I didn't need a kick because my body just skirted along behind.  I can see how it would be beneficial to build your strength.  When I did the fast turnover, my strokes went from 31 to 43 for 25 yards. 

Whew, I've got so much swimming that I need to work on.  I'm going to go back thru all of our group posts and try to absorb the swimming info.  I'm one of those people that can't really absorb it until I try it out.  Oh, fyi, I log on at work and read info but per my employer's policies, I can't post to a site from work.

Carol, how do we post our crunches - for beginning of year or just thru the month?  Either way, I'm 31 for 31 in Jan and 4 for 4 in Feb.  I'm really going to try to keep this up thru March's 90 a day.

2013-02-04 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4608106

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Pink Socks - 2013-02-04 3:19 PM

Oh my, today was a lesson in humility.  I finally went for my first swim session since {gulp} last October.  I am so exhausted.  I stopped my watch every time I rested -which was frequent.  I lost count on the total laps but I think it was around 1100 yards - maybe a little less.  I practiced as many techniques as I could remember that you have all discussed.  I tried long stokes where I hit my thigh on every pulldown, fast strokes where I felt like a waterbug, side strokes as a recovery, breast stroke (I didn't go under tho.  Steve, do you stay on top of the water or go under?), and swimming with my fists for balance.  I calculated my golf score which I think sucked at 93 (37 secs, 25 yards, 31 strokes - is that correct?). 

I must say, Samantha, I think I understand about the faster turnover that your coach mentioned.  I felt like I just moved across the top of the water when I did that; liked the feeling but arms were exhausted.  But I didn't need a kick because my body just skirted along behind.  I can see how it would be beneficial to build your strength.  When I did the fast turnover, my strokes went from 31 to 43 for 25 yards. 

Pam, I'm not Steve but I can say with certainty that you are supposed to go under, glide and then come up for air when you use the BS.  The better your glide...the more efficient your BS is.  As far as gliding across the top of the water...that's a visual that my swim coach liked.  I envision swimming like ice skating...every time I move forward, I "dig" or "anchor" my bottom hip into the water and move forward with my hand/arm.  That keeps me from over reaching with my shoulder (and making your arms tired)  My coach drilled that one into my head "Jay, your HIPS bring the arm forward, NOT your shoulder!"  I don't know if that visual works for you....I hope it does! 

2013-02-04 3:27 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Yes my head definately goes under when I do breaststroke.  I am around 2:00/100 sustaned at breaststroke and that may actuall come up with all the time I have been putting into it recently.  Last swim I did 200 yards breaststroke 100 yards freestyle, x 5.  I am at about a 2:06/100 pace currently and trying to not put too much stress on the shoulder.  The odd thing is that it is bringing the arm from the hip out of the water and forward that is what causes pain not the push underwater.  Man are my calves sore from running upstream on Sunday for 45 min.  Mental note... doing a new exercize.... for shorter periods of time to evaluate strain on the body... I was just so happy to be able to "jog" without the knee acting up.  Also the zero drop heal thing was probably an issue... maybe I drop the current down a bit next go. 

Pam grats on your Mary and we will get you up to speed for a solid PR for your next one....  Look at Carol she is going to PR by 30 minutes on this next mary. 

Carol, if I follow what your shorthand is looks good.   I know that the plans say to keep intensity on your shorter runs during that last week or two, but... I can't say that it works for me personally.  The body is doing funky healing up things and I think the risk of pushing things while recovering after all that work is too high.  I would change the last 2 800 repeats on week 2 and 3 of taper into tempo runs.  You can peak out at 8:00 for your top half mile, but build and drop down to normal speed from there.  You won't gain speed or fitness in your last two weeks, but you could screw something up. 

Ken solid as ever, glad you took the time to recover and then move into a solid build on muscles that are not stressed.  This sport requires way too much patience or a way younger body.  The balance of pushing things and recovery is a tough one. 

Kate, tell me more about that bad run, I want to make sure that you know what went wrong so we can have you solid for your HIM. 

You all know that I am expecting bigger numbers in Feb right?  I am hoping to double everything from Jan to Feb.... which won't be that hard if everything holds together. 

Mitch good to see ya, glad the foot thing is working out that must be sooooo frustrating.  Do lots of walking before running and jogging in place in the shallow end of the pool may be a good activity for you.  It is different than aquajogging in the deep end of the pool, but ya it does require quite a bit of mental focus to stay at it.  You could do like 10 foot runs back and forth and back and....

2013-02-04 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Yeah, thanks Steve.  I've been working with the Physical therapist for the last 4 weeks or so.  Lots of plyometric movements, working on flexibility, range of motion etc...  My pool has been shut down the last month so my PT says to do work in sand. (I live by the beach) Lots of side to side, back and forth etc... in 2 weeks the PT says I'll be ready to start slow...  1 mile jog etc...  He's more of a slow run rather that a run/ walk guy.  We'll see how that works...
2013-02-05 6:39 AM
in reply to: #4608234

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

Hi Group,

crazy schedule right now on many fronts. Here are my numbers for January:

January's totals:
Bike:16h 51m 41s  - 391 KM
Run:14h 02m 15s  - 161.08 KM
Swim:7h 52m  - 24100 M
Strength:3h 15m

Still have not finished to catch-up on the many posts.

Pat, congratulations on your Marathon! Way to go!!!

Fred

2013-02-05 7:01 AM
in reply to: #4608950

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
fdulak - 2013-02-05 7:39 AM

Hi Group,

crazy schedule right now on many fronts. Here are my numbers for January:

January's totals:
Bike:16h 51m 41s  - 391 KM
Run:14h 02m 15s  - 161.08 KM
Swim:7h 52m  - 24100 M
Strength:3h 15m

Fred

No wonder it is crazy.  Those are crazy good numbers for January, Fred.  Congrats!

Stu

2013-02-05 7:26 AM

User image

Expert

Steve: I think it's more of a psychological issue past the 6 mile mark. I get bored, start feeling the aches, and feel discouraged at the fact that I am soooo slowwww. The last three miles really suck. 

2013-02-05 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Well shoot...forgot to post the crunch challenge update.  Thanks for the reminder Pam!  If you're participating, just cut and paste  and add your name and how many days you met the goal so far this year.

Crunch Challenge as of 2/4/13

(Goal: 30/day in January; 60/day in February)

Carol - 35/35

2013-02-05 8:48 AM

Hi all!

Just checking in. I met up with a free local tri group near me and I'm excited because it will give me some training accountability. I am in training for the Kentucky Derby Marathon so my running miles have increased. I still haven't pulled my bike out of hibernation but I plan to dust off the trainer next week.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Cheryl

2013-02-05 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Today I decided that it would be fun to run in the light snow and see if my basketball/racquetball training is really helping my running.  I stayed true to Steve's theory of slowly building on my previous long run so I went a little over 8 miles. I'm pleased to report that my cardio has really increased more than I thought.  I was able to run the 8 at an average pace of 8:32  That may not be too fast for some of our group but for me, its pretty darn fast!  The one thing I need to make sure of is that I continue to hit the pavement.  I noticed that my legs were getting a little tired from pounding the pavement.

I got a call today that my bike is ready for pickup.  I ended up spending about $120 for a tune up, a new tape job, new chain, and readjusting that back tire.  I'm hoping that isn't a bad price for what I got.  I inquired about getting fit for my bike...I wasn't expecting to hear at least a couple of hundred bucks!  Maybe its my ignorance toward the bike shining through again.....

Hope you all have a good day.  I'm hoping to rest up and maybe hit the pool this afternoon.

2013-02-05 9:29 AM

User image

Alexandria

Hi everyone, busy month, family and I all suffering with cold bugs...hope you are all fairing better.  Here are my January totals:

Bike: 8h - 128.2 miles, Run 3H 40 m - 25 Miles, Swim 6h 15 m - 17637 yds, Strength - 3 h 45 m

Happy training!

2013-02-05 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Hungry, hungry, hungry, hungry..... forgotten how  much I want to eat nearly all the time when I'm doing this stuff. My desk has plenty of fruits, nuts, and other goodies. Tough not to hit the candy jar and eat a pack of MnM's .

Jay -- i'd be psyched to run 8 miles at 8:32 pace! For me that is blazing fast. Congrats.

2013-02-05 10:06 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Jay nice run, 8:30 for a Z2 effort is very nice (bet you pushed Z3 though).  And ya the best way to get better at running.. is running.  RB and BB help some, but it really is not the same, too many breaks in both sports. 

Kate, if you get bored with running mix it up, throw some tempo into your run if bored or just pick up the pace for 3 telephone poles or whatever, count your strides to make sure you are up around 90, lean forward slightly at the ankles not bending at the waiste and try to keep up.  Also, you can remember to look around when running and enjoy the scenery 

John, good swim.... time to start working that bike and run more.....

Cheryl, you have nothing logged on BT 8(. How many miles did you run in Jan?

Edited by Baowolf 2013-02-05 10:08 AM
2013-02-05 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4609311

User image

Expert
Baowolf - 2013-02-05 11:06 AM

Kate, if you get bored with running mix it up, throw some tempo into your run if bored or just pick up the pace for 3 telephone poles or whatever, count your strides to make sure you are up around 90, lean forward slightly at the ankles not bending at the waiste and try to keep up.  Also, you can remember to look around when running and enjoy the scenery 

Thanks Steve. I read the book "Chi Running" last summer and learned about using a forward posture. I've done my best to implement those concepts. I was doing fartleks before my PF issues and noticed an increase in my 5K time. But since, I've been afraid to aggravate it and backed off of all speed training. Most of the long training runs are done in the dark. I try to do them really early morning on weekends. Last week I did it in the evening, which is why I might have felt more fatigued.

I have a cadence sensor on my shoe and for my last run ave run cadence was 86. 

2013-02-05 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

My January totals.  Finally am able to build my base again for the next few months!

January's totals:
Bike:7h 30m  - 145.67 Mi
Swim:30m  - 1000 M
Elliptical Training:1h 05m
Physical Therapy:8h 00m
Stretching:3h 10m

I am very, very excited to start training again.  I just have to keep it under control and hold back!  So far the body is responding very well!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52