Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-08-13 8:55 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open

Originally posted by PsyTri BTW, how are you recovering? Does it feel different than recovering after a really long rid/run or a brick workout, or is it a whole other level of sore/fatigue? What's next for you?
The fatigue was really just the rest of the day on Sunday, and I get that after every tri, not just the HIM - between the waking up early, the adrenaline, the wind, the sun, it's just a long day. Yesterday I was fine as far as that was concerned.  My legs are still sore though.  It seems like different parts of my legs are sore at different times.  Yesterday my knees, today my hip flexors more.  Always my quads.  My legs still feel as if the race was yesterday; I can't remember a workout where my legs were this sore two days later.

Even on my longest/hardest bike rides, I don't recall my legs really being sore even the next day, let alone two days later.

2013-08-13 11:17 AM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles

Awesome job Joe, a sub-6 is blazing fast! Miche033, I couldn't have asked for nicer conditions at my oly this morning, sunny and 64 degrees with a water temp of 77, barely wetsuit legal . The swim has much room for improvement, mainly swimming i need to work on swimming more efficiently and with more intensity. Also my sighting was off and I constantly drifted to the right. However I did well concentrating on my kick, catch, and pull through in an effort to "glide" thought the water. I was also happy to get it under 30 minutes.

When on the bike i Just made sure to keep my cadence up and stay at a pace that I knew I could handle. The course was mainly flat with rolling hills except for tornado alley hill which was a deep valley. The descent was amazing but climbing up an 8% grade really puts things into perspective. Even in my lowest gear it felt like a struggle to maintain a seated climb. I did like to stick with cyclists wwhomhad a similar pace to help push me. Instead of trying to keep up with cyclists much faster than me I just biked my own race because I knew that I would have quickly ran out of energy. The ride felt hard but comfortably in my zone and under control.

And lastly my most favorite event, The run was okay but would have been better if my feet didn't go numb. I started the run off with my third gel to give me enough energy to the finish. Surprisingly my stomach was able to handle it. I had to shorten my stride a lot and felt very slow. I did work on always catching the person who was immediately in front of me as a goal to keep pushing. This is where I gained back some of my lost time.

Swim- 29:50
T1- 1:19
Bike- 1:16.xx (19.58mph)
T2- 59seconds
Run- 45:06 (next time I would like it to be under 45).

Total time- 2hr 33min

And now for the best part.... since the race only had 150 or so contestants I placed in the top 20 overall and got first in my age group (M20-24)

Congrats on the age group win and a fantastic race!
2013-08-13 11:31 AM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles Awesome job Joe, a sub-6 is blazing fast! Miche033, I couldn't have asked for nicer conditions at my oly this morning, sunny and 64 degrees with a water temp of 77, barely wetsuit legal . The swim has much room for improvement, mainly swimming i need to work on swimming more efficiently and with more intensity. Also my sighting was off and I constantly drifted to the right. However I did well concentrating on my kick, catch, and pull through in an effort to "glide" thought the water. I was also happy to get it under 30 minutes. When on the bike i Just made sure to keep my cadence up and stay at a pace that I knew I could handle. The course was mainly flat with rolling hills except for tornado alley hill which was a deep valley. The descent was amazing but climbing up an 8% grade really puts things into perspective. Even in my lowest gear it felt like a struggle to maintain a seated climb. I did like to stick with cyclists wwhomhad a similar pace to help push me. Instead of trying to keep up with cyclists much faster than me I just biked my own race because I knew that I would have quickly ran out of energy. The ride felt hard but comfortably in my zone and under control. And lastly my most favorite event, The run was okay but would have been better if my feet didn't go numb. I started the run off with my third gel to give me enough energy to the finish. Surprisingly my stomach was able to handle it. I had to shorten my stride a lot and felt very slow. I did work on always catching the person who was immediately in front of me as a goal to keep pushing. This is where I gained back some of my lost time. Swim- 29:50 T1- 1:19 Bike- 1:16.xx (19.58mph) T2- 59seconds Run- 45:06 (next time I would like it to be under 45). Total time- 2hr 33min And now for the best part.... since the race only had 150 or so contestants I placed in the top 20 overall and got first in my age group (M20-24)
Awesome race, man!  Congrats on the podium!
2013-08-13 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by PsyTri What's next for you?
Sorry, I didn't address this...I'm not really sure.  I'm not entirely convinced that I'm a HIM kind of guy.  I still really like the oly race, but at this point the oly swim and oly bike feel too short.  The only thing I have scheduled is a half marathon in November.  Maybe we'll see how that goes.  I'd like to do another HIM and try for a better time, but I think I'd only do so if I could get to a point where a stand-alone half marathon is not a daunting workout.  I mean I can do the 13.1 run, but I dread it and by mile 9 or 10 I'm having a hard time convincing myself to keep going.  The 1.2 mile swim doesn't worry me, and the 56 mile bike takes a long time but I don't mind it.  If I can get to a point where I feel the same way about the half marathon, I'll do the HIM again.  That may be next year, may not.  See how I feel after this race in November.

Since I don't have any more tri's this year, this is basically my offseason when it comes to swimming and biking.  I'm going to keep going to Masters, and I'm actually going to try and go more.  I'll bike every once in a while so as to not completely lose it.  I want to fit some circuit workouts back into my routine.

2013-08-13 11:59 AM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

I've decided that I like the HIM swim and the HIM bike, and the run is just too long.

I think my perfect race is a HIM swim, HIM bike, and a 10k run.

I agree! I don't like running for over 2 hrs!

2013-08-13 10:15 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Alright, everybody. Maybe I'm just showing my newbie-ness, but what the [favorite expletive] is "scratch" that Joe's been drinking? I'm starting to give some thought to what, if anything, I want to eat and drink along the way during my Sprint, and now I've got to break out the triathlon recipe book?

Seriously, though, any thoughts/suggestions for sustenance? I know it's a short duration, but I could see getting a boost during the ride and maybe the run on race day. Staying hydrated is probably the biggest thing, but I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Gary

2013-08-13 10:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by PsyTri Alright, everybody. Maybe I'm just showing my newbie-ness, but what the [favorite expletive] is "scratch" that Joe's been drinking? I'm starting to give some thought to what, if anything, I want to eat and drink along the way during my Sprint, and now I've got to break out the triathlon recipe book? Seriously, though, any thoughts/suggestions for sustenance? I know it's a short duration, but I could see getting a boost during the ride and maybe the run on race day. Staying hydrated is probably the biggest thing, but I'd like to hear what you have to say. Gary
Skratch is just an electrolyte drink that I'm particularly fond of.  Mild flavor, natural ingredients.  Electrolytes without the excess sugar and calories.  Philosophy is get your calories from real food (at least that's the idea, I still go to gels for the ease).  Comes in a powder and mix it to your hearts content.

But that's just one of many many options out there.

For a sprint don't overthink it.  You shouldn't need any gels or anything like that.  Hydrate, and go ahead and use a sports drink if you have one you like.  Don't overdo it so that you're sloshing around.

2013-08-14 6:02 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Master
St. Louis

Originally posted by PsyTri Alright, everybody. Maybe I'm just showing my newbie-ness, but what the [favorite expletive] is "scratch" that Joe's been drinking? I'm starting to give some thought to what, if anything, I want to eat and drink along the way during my Sprint, and now I've got to break out the triathlon recipe book? Seriously, though, any thoughts/suggestions for sustenance? I know it's a short duration, but I could see getting a boost during the ride and maybe the run on race day. Staying hydrated is probably the biggest thing, but I'd like to hear what you have to say. Gary
Skratch is just an electrolyte drink that I'm particularly fond of.  Mild flavor, natural ingredients.  Electrolytes without the excess sugar and calories.  Philosophy is get your calories from real food (at least that's the idea, I still go to gels for the ease).  Comes in a powder and mix it to your hearts content.

For a sprint don't overthink it.  You shouldn't need any gels or anything like that.  Hydrate, and go ahead and use a sports drink if you have one you like.  Don't overdo it so that you're sloshing around.

I agree with Joe. A good breakfast a couple hours before the race is all you need then drink water or sports drink to thirst. If you want to take a gel on the ride or run to give you something to look forward to, then do it but you don't really need it. Sometimes during half marathons ill take a gel at mile 4 and mile 8 just to give me something to look forward to but any race under two hours doesn't really require calorie intake. I've experimented with just taking a gel before the race and one on the bike for an Oly which takes me about three hours. I was close to bonking just after the race, so I know what my minimum is.

That said, experiment and see what works for you. Everyone is a little different.
2013-08-14 8:30 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Originally posted by ransick

I agree with Joe. A good breakfast a couple hours before the race is all you need then drink water or sports drink to thirst. If you want to take a gel on the ride or run to give you something to look forward to, then do it but you don't really need it. Sometimes during half marathons ill take a gel at mile 4 and mile 8 just to give me something to look forward to but any race under two hours doesn't really require calorie intake. I've experimented with just taking a gel before the race and one on the bike for an Oly which takes me about three hours. I was close to bonking just after the race, so I know what my minimum is.

That said, experiment and see what works for you. Everyone is a little different.

Thanks, guys. That's really helpful. I like the idea of having something to look forward to after each leg. Thinking of shot blocks. What kind of gels do you guys like?
2013-08-14 9:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
gels that i like

right now whichever is cheaper Gu $1.25 Ea at Academy Sports or Hammer gel if its the sampler pack $1.00 ea. normally
Hammer or Gu is $1.40 ea.

Edited by strykergt 2013-08-14 9:19 PM
2013-08-15 11:02 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by strykergt gels that i like right now whichever is cheaper Gu $1.25 Ea at Academy Sports or Hammer gel if its the sampler pack $1.00 ea. normally Hammer or Gu is $1.40 ea.

I buy them bulk online (~$1.04 ea). But then I only have 2 flavors. (Plus whatever random ones I got in the last race swag.) I like Clif shots and Gu. Shot blocks are fine too, but only on the bike. For the HIM length I have been experimenting with banana, clif bars, and nutter butters. My coach says to shoot for 250 cal/hr, which seems hard for me to do. I have to get some calories from my drinks (unlike Joe).

2013-08-15 7:26 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
I like Triberry flavor GU. If you try cliff shot bloks, make sure to open the package before your workout or race. I tried them once on a long ride and couldn't open them. After knowing on the package for a few miles, I gave up. I was really ticked off at the time :-)
2013-08-15 11:20 PM

User image

NAME: Danny Williams

STORY: I played baseball at the minor league level for a few years. I ended up retiring because I blew up my shoulder. Two years ago I decided in January that I would run a marathon in May after not doing anything for two years. It was hell the first week, but I ended up finishing a race that they cancelled at 20 miles because of heat. I did another marathon in September of that year and I met my goal time of 3:45. My next goal is to finish IM Wisconsin in 2014. I'm doing my first triathlon(a sprint) in 9 days. Because of a vacation and my baby I really haven't trained like I would have hoped, but I have a goal time of 1:20.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married for a little over 3 years and I have a 7 month old son who makes going to the gym a difficult task.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been lazy all summer and really since the last marathon. I need a group to push me and I'm hoping that having to post my result pushes me to the next level.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did a 10k in June, it did not go well. My split was terrible, 3.1k in 21 minutes with a final time of 54 minutes. I died trying to keep up with my friends.

WEIGHTLOSS: It will happen with commitment to the goal.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I just need accountability and posting results for the week is exactly what I need. I have a year to get there and I will climb the mountain.....Til i collapse.

Edited by dannywilliams83 2013-08-15 11:26 PM
2013-08-15 11:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by miche033

Originally posted by strykergt gels that i like right now whichever is cheaper Gu $1.25 Ea at Academy Sports or Hammer gel if its the sampler pack $1.00 ea. normally Hammer or Gu is $1.40 ea.

I buy them bulk online (~$1.04 ea). But then I only have 2 flavors. (Plus whatever random ones I got in the last race swag.) I like Clif shots and Gu. Shot blocks are fine too, but only on the bike. For the HIM length I have been experimenting with banana, clif bars, and nutter butters. My coach says to shoot for 250 cal/hr, which seems hard for me to do. I have to get some calories from my drinks (unlike Joe).

Hey, I do get some calories from my drink!  Just not as much as most other electrolyte drinks.  I get 60-80 calories per 24 oz bottle.

I like Honey Stinger gels, because I get a deal on them and they are thin so I find them easier to take.  Really it's a completely personal thing.  Ask 10 people what brand gel they like and you're likely to get at least 5 different answers.

2013-08-16 8:29 AM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Late to the party it looks like, but ready to join in.

NAME: Bryan Ritchie

STORY: Played club soccer as a kiddo and ran cross country. Found athletics pretty easy for me in my school years and was skinny as a rail, but since then I've slowly put on the pounds edging right up against the dreaded 200 pound mark. I know it is just psychological, but it is serving as a real motivator these days. I started running a couple of years back to start getting back into shape and have gone from barely able to run a half mile to finishing my first half marathon this year. Slow, but done! About 13 years ago, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, which has thrown getting healthy a little speed bump managing insulin during exercise, but is working out fine right now. Tired of just running and looking for some diversity so triathlons seem like a nice step.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to wife for 18 years now with 4 wonderful adopted kiddos ages 10, 10, 9, and 7. The kiddos do most of my training with me whether it be on feet, scooter, stroller, or bike.

CURRENT TRAINING: All running to date. I run/walk 10-15 miles a week at a about a 12-13 minute pace. Wanting to start swimming and cycling very soon. Found some local pools that allow lap swimming.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Big D Half Marathon (3:13), Independence Day 5K

WEIGHTLOSS: Moving the wrong direction at the moment. 196 pounds as we speak and fighting hard to not hit 200.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am motivated to get healthy! Enjoy exercise and really excited learn more about triathlons.
2013-08-16 8:48 AM
in reply to: brrit

User image

Pearland,Tx
Welcome Bryan!!! and Welcome Danny!!!

Its never too late
Feel free to upload your workouts and add Fresno_Joe as a friend he keeps tabs on our weekly workouts.
Feel free to ask your questions and frustrations. You just caught up in a time where most of them are tapering or recovering.

@Danny- I also like running to build base endurance, too bad for me its not my strength.

@Bryan- Busy Family life never stopped the gals and guys here from training and finishing.

Again Welcome Guys!!!!

2013-08-16 12:35 PM

User image

Welcome Danny and Bryan. I was a late-comer, and I've found the forum very helpful. Hope you do, too.
2013-08-16 10:12 PM

User image

Thanks guys. I guess question #1, how important is strength training to an IM program? Also I've been looking over plans and I haven't decided what I'm going with. Does anyone have a plan the really like?
2013-08-17 10:56 AM
in reply to: dannywilliams83

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Originally posted by dannywilliams83

Thanks guys. I guess question #1, how important is strength training to an IM program? Also I've been looking over plans and I haven't decided what I'm going with. Does anyone have a plan the really like?

Welcome to BT and Hashers/Mashers!

I did IM-WI in 2011 So certainly can answer any specific questions to the event itself.

question #1, how important is strength training to an IM program?

You will hear plenty of debate on this one:

In my opinion. Not super important. will it help? for sure. I have seen many peeps place the wrong priority here, and focus way too much thought/effort on strength training. Core workouts would be where I would focus time in the weight room.

I see people who are super duper strong from strength training workouts, but have not focused enough on their engine. They look great. I will see them on the machines while I'm running for 2 hours on the tready. After many many times watching them as a captive audience on the tready, I think. "Hmm interesting they are doing the same race as I am, but I never see them on the bike, or running or in the gym pool."

I can't help you with the plan. Best advice I can give you is especially for IM-MOO "It's all about the bike" the stronger you are on the bike, the better you will do. Real easy to take what I just said lightly. Please don't. Also ride that course a few times in practice. I managed to do that 5-6 times before my event. I went too fast on loop #1 EVERY time except on race day. I had finally learned my lessons, then NAILED that part.

Dave

2013-08-18 12:38 PM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

As I start training more, is the goal for most training sessions to stay in HR Zone 2? I've had a couple of tri buddies tell me this is their strategy. Is this common?
2013-08-18 8:00 PM

User image

I have not done much HR zone work, except for some of the pre-programmed workouts on the stationary bike in the gym. Maybe some of the others in the forum would know. For me, I was just trying to get comfortable with each and improve stamina for distance over time by increasing the duration of the workouts steadily.

On another note, I'm starting my taper tomorrow, finally! The plan I'm on has me doing a couple bricks this week and next for the first time. I'm pretty excited to give those a whirl. I'm going to don my tri shorts and tri top tomorrow for the first time and set up a little transition area by my bike outside the pool. Lots of fun. Getting psyched for race day. 14 days and counting!

2013-08-18 8:00 PM

User image

I have not done much HR zone work, except for some of the pre-programmed workouts on the stationary bike in the gym. Maybe some of the others in the forum would know. For me, I was just trying to get comfortable with each and improve stamina for distance over time by increasing the duration of the workouts steadily.

On another note, I'm starting my taper tomorrow, finally! The plan I'm on has me doing a couple bricks this week and next for the first time. I'm pretty excited to give those a whirl. I'm going to don my tri shorts and tri top tomorrow for the first time and set up a little transition area by my bike outside the pool. Lots of fun. Getting psyched for race day. 14 days and counting!

2013-08-18 10:49 PM
in reply to: dannywilliams83

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by dannywilliams83

My next goal is to finish IM Wisconsin in 2014. I'm doing my first triathlon(a sprint) in 9 days. Because of a vacation and my baby I really haven't trained like I would have hoped, but I have a goal time of 1:20.

Danny

I noticed your training for IMW '14 , I read about good things about "Be Iron Fit by Don Fink" i just bought the book and im just looking into the training.

Goodluck to your training, let us know how it goes.

Carl
2013-08-18 11:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Welcome Danny and Bryan. I hope you'll both jump right in.

Bryan - Pretty neat your kids work out with you. That's a great gift to them and when they're older that is what they will remember.

Psy Tri - Your bricks should be a great practice for you. I find I'm very poor at getting off the bike and running. It's a problem I hope to fix by next season.

Miche - I always enjoy reading your "inspires".

I've been looking at 2014 events and have my eye on Ironman Victoria 70.3 and IMCalgary 70.3. So far I'm just looking for fun but Victoria does look really good and so does Calgary...Hmmm! I'd really like to knock a lot of time off my HIM PR.

Today I rode a short ride on part of my race route coming up this weekend. Almost squished a rattlesnake that was trying to cross the road. Just missed it by a few inches. More importantly for a short ride I was disappointed to still have some saddle issues. I'm hoping that if I take it easy this week I'll be back to normal by Sunday. If not then I may be in for a very "un-fun" ride.

I did buy about 5 gallons of Chamois Butt'r which should help some, I hope.
2013-08-18 11:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by wenceslasz I did buy about 5 gallons of Chamois Butt'r which should help some, I hope.
I have been out of town and actively ignoring the tri life since my race, but I'm getting back into the swing of things tomorrow and will go through and comment on anything that's happened in the interim, but quickly wanted to touch on this Chamois Butt'r thing.  I always use Chamois Butt'r, but I've recently discovered there are other chammy lubes out there (I'm a total newb to the bike thing).  In my obsessive preparation for my 70.3, I found various recommendations on here.  The general consensus appears to be that Chamois Butt'r is passable while it lasts, it generally only lasts 1-1.5 hours.  Based on some recommendations here I got a thing of Assos chamois cream, and man that stuff is awesome.  It's a bit tingly at first, but I felt a noticeable difference on my long rides.  I'd check it out if you suspect the Chamois Butt'r might not be getting the job done.

ETA: I even put the Assos stuff on before my swim and did not put more on in T1, and it lasted the entire time.  I know from personal tests that I cannot say the same about Chamois Butt'r.

Edited by Fresno_Joe 2013-08-18 11:23 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41