BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-06-26 10:44 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Originally posted by sandishr

OK....I am relatively new to the bike. I am wondering a few things:

1) How do you train/increase speed? As I said earlier, a huge factor for me is my bike (a hybrid), I'm sure the weight isn't helpful in the slightest to getting much speed. On fairly flat surfaces I'm only getting 13 mph average, regardless of distance. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to increase my speed...training wise. My plan had to get slightly less bulky tires before the race, which should help a little bit.

2) Are there techniques, methods, strategies to gears during the race? Or do you just go as fast as you can since it's a race?

Thanks....24/28 today with a 13 mile bike. Now sitting down to have a Stinger Pale Ale from Sun Valley Brewing Co. Got a growler on my way back from the trail. :-) I think we're going to try out my wetsuit and my first OWS tomorrow.

Sandi

1) How do you train/increase speed?

Standard answers to this will relate to intervals, cadence and hill training.

Intervals - adding a minute or two (mile or two) into your ride where you really work hard and then lower to a comfortable cruising speed to recover, then repeat, many times..

Cadence - Perceived effort is considered lower from spinning a smaller gear at higher cadence 90-95 rev per min rather than turning a big gear at slower candence. However riding at a higher cadence does raise your heart rate. riding at a lower cadence requires a lot of torque per revolution, however. each comes with a cost. so, you find the "right" cadence for the effort. What is certain is that new riders often fall into the trap of pushing a big gear too slowly.

Hills - Ride a lot of hills and the flat bits seem much easier.

2) Basic gearing tools.

Select a smaller gear for taking your bike off the rack. Gives you a chance to power up gradually. Always select down for tight corners or u-turns. Don't get stuck in a big gear after a turn. Have a go-to ratio. A gear you know you can turn for an extended duration for when you are on a good flat or when you are fueling that is not going to leave you gassed.

2014-06-26 4:37 PM

User image

Expert

OK....I am relatively new to the bike. I am wondering a few things:

1) How do you train/increase speed? As I said earlier, a huge factor for me is my bike (a hybrid), I'm sure the weight isn't helpful in the slightest to getting much speed. On fairly flat surfaces I'm only getting 13 mph average, regardless of distance. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to increase my speed...training wise. My plan had to get slightly less bulky tires before the race, which should help a little bit.

2) Are there techniques, methods, strategies to gears during the race? Or do you just go as fast as you can since it's a race?

Thanks....24/28 today with a 13 mile bike. Now sitting down to have a Stinger Pale Ale from Sun Valley Brewing Co. Got a growler on my way back from the trail. :-) I think we're going to try out my wetsuit and my first OWS tomorrow.

Sandi

Sandi - I spent my first 2 seasons on a hybrid and they aren't the fastest things in the world. But you can get faster by making a few changes to your training. Try integrating the following two workouts into your your training every two weeks (one workout a week)

1) One of my favorite workouts is ladders - Warm up for 20-30 minutes. Then ride hard for 8, reduce intensity to recover for 4, then go hard for 4, then recover for 2, then go hard for 1, then recover for 30 seconds, then go hard for 30 seconds, and recover for 1, then go hard for 1 minute and recover for 2, et until you get back up to 8 minutes. The key is to go hard at a pace your can maintain for the entire period of time, so you can rest until the recovery interval.

2) I'm a big fan of hills so I try to do a hill workout each week. Uphills should be hard effort (no stopping, down hills are recovery, and flats should be at race pace. The hills will not only increase your muscle strength - but they will teach your body to deal with the lactic acid that slows you down.

If you really want to improve your speed - try integrating strength workouts into your routine as well.

Good luck!
DQ
2014-06-26 5:46 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

, Vermont
22/28 today - it's going to be close. 3 doubles in the last 4 days...I can feel it from a fatigue standpoint - not sore at all.

4.68 mile run in 41:45
1100 yds in the pool after

To enjoy after, I cracked open a Trout River Brewing Co. Rainbow Red and cried - either I got a skunky 6-pack or they have changed it and not for the better. So....I fed the septic system and opened a Goose Island Honker instead. Not sure what's up with the Trout but I will be sending them an email.

Happy training everyone!
Jenn
2014-06-26 10:31 PM

Bismarck, ND
Sandi,

I am far from a roadie. Before I started triathlons, I hadn't ridden a bike since i was a kid. But, I had 2 things I wanted to say:

1. my sister rode her $200 bike for her first triathlon and KILLED it. She was training on hilly dirt roads. That is all she was able to ride on. So, when it came to the fairly flat tri course, she road almost at 18 MPH. So, I would say hills work. (I struggle with hills because I have some knee issues)

2. A couple summers ago, I decided to do an experiment. I rode the same course a couple different times. I would ride using a higher (I think higher is harder, right?) gear with slower cadence and then I rode the same course with a lower gear but faster cadence. I did this a couple times to get an average. I was then able to figure out which one made me go faster. I tried to find a "sweet spot". It seemed to help. Since my knee has issues, I have to keep my cadence higher. But, I am also faster that way as well.

Don't know if that helps.
2014-06-27 12:03 AM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. I do wonder if I'm in the "trap" of newer riders using a highergear, but I've played with it enough and just can NOT get faster in a slower gear with a higher cadence. I'm just totally feeling stuck here, and unfortunately at a low mph average. But I will definitely try the ills and the ladders...I just haven't done much to train this area other than getting comfortable biking 15 miles at a pop and trying to push it faster each time.

Had a real crapper of a training day today. I'd hoped to do my first OWS and try out my wetsuit today, but the lake I thought would be good to swim in (we are on vacation) was a total failure. I'll try elsewhere this weekend. So, I went for a run this evening instead. Good god....it felt like I'd just started running yesterday. I think the altitude here is just really getting to me even more as I adjust to it. Plus I realized tonight when I stepped on the scale that I've dropped five pounds in a week...I'm not unhappy about that but it wasn't planned so obviously I need to increase my calories (I've found previously that my weight can drop really fast at this altitude when I'm not trying...I do think much is water weight since it is so dry here, but I'm drinking tons of water). And I am suspicious this is way harder on my body later in the day. But, I still think I'm 25/28. It just was the worst run I've had in a year.

Sandi
2014-06-27 9:50 AM

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
27/28 so far and I have my ride home from work to go (13 km +200 m)

Some questions for the group: How many do your own bike maintenance? To what extent do you do your own work? (i.e. when do you say this needs a pro)

I am very practical and mechanically capable for most things (I have finished my own basement in a couple of house including the bathroom and electrical). I do most of the routine things like lube and derailleur adjustments. But on Tue I hit a pretty big pothole and my rear wheel on my relatively (200 km) new road bike is out of true. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on truing wheels but I am still a bit hesitant.

This also means I am back on the mountain bike. Which I can take some different routes but after about 200 km on the road bike feels really slow.

PS: The Plantar Fasciitis is doing better, thanks for the supplemental PT advice. I think I will re-start my running program next week.

2014-06-27 10:06 AM
in reply to: Qua17

Despite the highly male dominance of this thread, I think this is where I belong!

NAME: Michelle

STORY/WEIGHT LOSS/RACES: I was a very athletic kid: soccer, softball, basketball, volleyball. Porked out in college and after (too much beer...not enough exercise!) As an adult, my most athletic endeavor was a Sunday beer league volleyball for a couple of years before kids.

2010: I weighed 210 pounds and did nothing. I never lost the baby weight after my third child (girl 9, boy 6, boy 5) my friends got me to commit to a local 8k Turkey Trot. Took me 3 months to train for that to just finish. I've been hooked on running ever since. 2011: Ran 2 half-marathons and a handful of shorter races. 2012: Started using the Crossfit website to increase strength and try to slim down. Ran another half. 2013: Continued Crossfit and completed a FULL marathon (still can't believe that). 2014: Realized eating whole, real food was the key to health. I've dropped down to 167 pounds and have lost 10 pant sizes since I started. I can deadlift 215# and back squat 265#. I did another half marathon in May and now am ready for the challenge of a sprint tri! I did one on my own (not a race) as part of my CrossFit stuff in 2012. Finished that in 1:23, so I obviously want to do better than that in August--TriDunkirk.

FAMILY STATUS: Awesome hubby is doing a tough mudder next month and is on a weight loss journey too--has dropped 50# and just keeps getting more amazing. 3 kids as mentioned above.

CURRENT TRAINING: Swims in my spring-fed pond. Looking to get a few OWS in Lake Erie over the next month. Biking and running on hills around my home.

BEER PREFERENCE: Stouts and Porters, yum. #1 and 2 favorites are Founders Breakfast Stout and Left Hand Milk Stout (on nitro, of course). I'm also currently in love with Ruby RedBird for summer--so refreshing!

CHEERS!
2014-06-27 10:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Welcome to the thread, Michelle. 

Congrats on everyone else for efforts on the training challenge! 

As for me, I just finished the last day of my 5 day climbing challenge. In the last 5 days I've ridden 600km and climbed 5000m. Today, my last ride, I managed to hold a 30km/h (18.6mph) average speed over 120km and 1000m of climbing. This weekend is going to be a relaxing recovery weekend at my old man's place out in the country. Going to drink lots of beer and celebrate Canada Day with the family while my legs recover. 

Good luck to anyone who is racing this weekend. 

Here's me at the top of the Champlain lookout in Gatineau Park, Quebec just across the border from Ottawa having just completed the last big climb of the week. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-06-27 10:23 AM

(IMG_4603.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_4603.JPG (2555KB - 2 downloads)
2014-06-27 12:11 PM
in reply to: RunnerGrl76GoesTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Great job on the weight loss. There are quite a few of us who have went through weight loss here. You are more than welcome here! Stay active in the group! There is a wealth of information on triathlons and beer! Gotta love your own personal OWS pond!!

Originally posted by RunnerGrl76GoesTri Despite the highly male dominance of this thread, I think this is where I belong! NAME: Michelle STORY/WEIGHT LOSS/RACES: I was a very athletic kid: soccer, softball, basketball, volleyball. Porked out in college and after (too much beer...not enough exercise!) As an adult, my most athletic endeavor was a Sunday beer league volleyball for a couple of years before kids. 2010: I weighed 210 pounds and did nothing. I never lost the baby weight after my third child (girl 9, boy 6, boy 5) my friends got me to commit to a local 8k Turkey Trot. Took me 3 months to train for that to just finish. I've been hooked on running ever since. 2011: Ran 2 half-marathons and a handful of shorter races. 2012: Started using the Crossfit website to increase strength and try to slim down. Ran another half. 2013: Continued Crossfit and completed a FULL marathon (still can't believe that). 2014: Realized eating whole, real food was the key to health. I've dropped down to 167 pounds and have lost 10 pant sizes since I started. I can deadlift 215# and back squat 265#. I did another half marathon in May and now am ready for the challenge of a sprint tri! I did one on my own (not a race) as part of my CrossFit stuff in 2012. Finished that in 1:23, so I obviously want to do better than that in August--TriDunkirk. FAMILY STATUS: Awesome hubby is doing a tough mudder next month and is on a weight loss journey too--has dropped 50# and just keeps getting more amazing. 3 kids as mentioned above. CURRENT TRAINING: Swims in my spring-fed pond. Looking to get a few OWS in Lake Erie over the next month. Biking and running on hills around my home. BEER PREFERENCE: Stouts and Porters, yum. #1 and 2 favorites are Founders Breakfast Stout and Left Hand Milk Stout (on nitro, of course). I'm also currently in love with Ruby RedBird for summer--so refreshing! CHEERS!

2014-06-27 12:16 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Jeakins 27/28 so far and I have my ride home from work to go (13 km +200 m) Some questions for the group: How many do your own bike maintenance? To what extent do you do your own work? (i.e. when do you say this needs a pro) I am very practical and mechanically capable for most things (I have finished my own basement in a couple of house including the bathroom and electrical). I do most of the routine things like lube and derailleur adjustments. But on Tue I hit a pretty big pothole and my rear wheel on my relatively (200 km) new road bike is out of true. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on truing wheels but I am still a bit hesitant. This also means I am back on the mountain bike. Which I can take some different routes but after about 200 km on the road bike feels really slow. PS: The Plantar Fasciitis is doing better, thanks for the supplemental PT advice. I think I will re-start my running program next week.

I like to do a lot of my own maintenance but truing the wheel...maybe not.

If you purchased it new from your LBS, they will usually do adjustments for the first year for free...just mention the back wheel and maybe not mention the pothole...at mine they do tuneups and adjustments for free the first year.

2014-06-27 12:48 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Alan, congrats on finishing your hill challenge! Inspiring, if only the hills in my area were still green and scenic.

For the June challenge I'm currently at 21/28 due to life getting in the way of some planned workouts earlier in the month. This weekend I have my next race, a small local sprint which will be my first race on a TT bike instead of a MTB or hybrid commuter. Planning on a nice fast bike split!

2014-06-27 1:49 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by Jeakins 27/28 so far and I have my ride home from work to go (13 km +200 m) Some questions for the group: How many do your own bike maintenance? To what extent do you do your own work? (i.e. when do you say this needs a pro) I am very practical and mechanically capable for most things (I have finished my own basement in a couple of house including the bathroom and electrical). I do most of the routine things like lube and derailleur adjustments. But on Tue I hit a pretty big pothole and my rear wheel on my relatively (200 km) new road bike is out of true. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on truing wheels but I am still a bit hesitant. This also means I am back on the mountain bike. Which I can take some different routes but after about 200 km on the road bike feels really slow. PS: The Plantar Fasciitis is doing better, thanks for the supplemental PT advice. I think I will re-start my running program next week.

If you purchased it new from your LBS, they will usually do adjustments for the first year for free...just mention the back wheel and maybe not mention the pothole...at mine they do tuneups and adjustments for free the first year.

I called 3 different LBS today at lunch and the earliest anyone would look at is mid-August... Seriously once the weather gets a bit nicer here in Calgary everyone wants their bike tuned up. I think I will give it a shot myself. So long as I don't make it much worse... Otherwise I would be without it for about 6 weeks and I don't feel like waiting that long. (I bought the bike online so no free tune-up, but I think I saved $300-$500 vs. LBS, I guess this is how I pay for the savings)
2014-06-27 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Jeakins
Originally posted by thor67

I called 3 different LBS today at lunch and the earliest anyone would look at is mid-August... Seriously once the weather gets a bit nicer here in Calgary everyone wants their bike tuned up. I think I will give it a shot myself. So long as I don't make it much worse... Otherwise I would be without it for about 6 weeks and I don't feel like waiting that long. (I bought the bike online so no free tune-up, but I think I saved $300-$500 vs. LBS, I guess this is how I pay for the savings)

Worst to happen is buy a new rear wheel and transfer components.

By the way is there anything you can do about this crappy weather this weekend...going camping  Canmore/Banff this weekend. Really puts a crimp in my biking plans when it is rainy and cold...Might have to go warm up at the Grizzly Paw brewpub!

2014-06-27 2:11 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

, Vermont
23/28 today with a nice bike ride - only 12.4 but what a hill section! Used Strava for the first time and the hill section is a segment where everyone compares themselves to others. I stopped to take a couple of early morning fog pictures and forgot to pause my device so my time was off - no worries. It will be fun to "climb" the leaderboard in the future!

I have a 10k tomorrow and am hoping to get in an afternoon ows for my first ows. I haven't taken a "rest day" since camping last week - if you call sleeping on the ground resting (but I love it). I'm looking forward to some Davidson Brothers beer this weekend on the NY side of Lake Champlain.

Mark, I'm with you - life getting in the way. LOL The only way I'll make 28 is to take no rest days until Tuesday and do 2 doubles in the next 3 days. All in all, I am happy to have had this goal because I don't think I would have been nearly as good about being consistent, so thank you to Thor. In case it's necessary, does one cold PBR = 12 warm Coors?
2014-06-27 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4996400

So...I hit Lake Erie today to see what's what with the OWS. Did 17 minutes as I wanted to bike afterwards. Oh boy. I'm very very bad at swimming. I mean I'm not going to drown, but...eek. Pointers?
2014-06-27 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Jeakins

27/28 so far and I have my ride home from work to go (13 km +200 m)

Some questions for the group: How many do your own bike maintenance? To what extent do you do your own work? (i.e. when do you say this needs a pro)

I am very practical and mechanically capable for most things (I have finished my own basement in a couple of house including the bathroom and electrical). I do most of the routine things like lube and derailleur adjustments. But on Tue I hit a pretty big pothole and my rear wheel on my relatively (200 km) new road bike is out of true. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on truing wheels but I am still a bit hesitant.

This also means I am back on the mountain bike. Which I can take some different routes but after about 200 km on the road bike feels really slow.

PS: The Plantar Fasciitis is doing better, thanks for the supplemental PT advice. I think I will re-start my running program next week.

Jeff - Sorry to hear about the bike. I am really bad when it comes to servicing my own bike and truing a wheel is outside of my league. I tried once and I'm pretty sure I just made it worse. I ended up having to get a new tire. On a good note - glad the PF is getting better. Keep up those exercises and be sure to ice next week with a ice filled dixie cup )or better yet an ice cold can of beer to avoid a relapse.

2014-06-27 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by RunnerGrl76GoesTri

Despite the highly male dominance of this thread, I think this is where I belong!

NAME: Michelle

STORY/WEIGHT LOSS/RACES: I was a very athletic kid: soccer, softball, basketball, volleyball. Porked out in college and after (too much beer...not enough exercise!) As an adult, my most athletic endeavor was a Sunday beer league volleyball for a couple of years before kids.

2010: I weighed 210 pounds and did nothing. I never lost the baby weight after my third child (girl 9, boy 6, boy 5) my friends got me to commit to a local 8k Turkey Trot. Took me 3 months to train for that to just finish. I've been hooked on running ever since. 2011: Ran 2 half-marathons and a handful of shorter races. 2012: Started using the Crossfit website to increase strength and try to slim down. Ran another half. 2013: Continued Crossfit and completed a FULL marathon (still can't believe that). 2014: Realized eating whole, real food was the key to health. I've dropped down to 167 pounds and have lost 10 pant sizes since I started. I can deadlift 215# and back squat 265#. I did another half marathon in May and now am ready for the challenge of a sprint tri! I did one on my own (not a race) as part of my CrossFit stuff in 2012. Finished that in 1:23, so I obviously want to do better than that in August--TriDunkirk.

FAMILY STATUS: Awesome hubby is doing a tough mudder next month and is on a weight loss journey too--has dropped 50# and just keeps getting more amazing. 3 kids as mentioned above.

CURRENT TRAINING: Swims in my spring-fed pond. Looking to get a few OWS in Lake Erie over the next month. Biking and running on hills around my home.

BEER PREFERENCE: Stouts and Porters, yum. #1 and 2 favorites are Founders Breakfast Stout and Left Hand Milk Stout (on nitro, of course). I'm also currently in love with Ruby RedBird for summer--so refreshing!

CHEERS!

Michelle - So glad you joined us! Anyone who likes Founders and Left Hand has great taste.

Question - Where do you live? Anywhere near cleveland? I grew up in Shaker.

Don't get too bummed about your swim in lake Erie - it's a totally different fish bowl. OWLs in lakes with big waves really require good form and lots of practice. And even with that practice - I still suck down lake water from time to time.

Hope you enjoy the group and please let us know how we can support you!

Dave
2014-06-27 8:22 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

Welcome to the thread, Michelle. 

Congrats on everyone else for efforts on the training challenge! 

As for me, I just finished the last day of my 5 day climbing challenge. In the last 5 days I've ridden 600km and climbed 5000m. Today, my last ride, I managed to hold a 30km/h (18.6mph) average speed over 120km and 1000m of climbing. This weekend is going to be a relaxing recovery weekend at my old man's place out in the country. Going to drink lots of beer and celebrate Canada Day with the family while my legs recover. 

Good luck to anyone who is racing this weekend. 

Here's me at the top of the Champlain lookout in Gatineau Park, Quebec just across the border from Ottawa having just completed the last big climb of the week. 

OK - is that a star trek bike jersey? Is so - that's BA. 5000 feet climbing is even more BA. Congrats on having such a good week. I'm getting to MT on Thursday. Let's be sure to get together for a beer or two!
2014-06-27 8:24 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

23/28 today with a nice bike ride - only 12.4 but what a hill section! Used Strava for the first time and the hill section is a segment where everyone compares themselves to others. I stopped to take a couple of early morning fog pictures and forgot to pause my device so my time was off - no worries. It will be fun to "climb" the leaderboard in the future!

I have a 10k tomorrow and am hoping to get in an afternoon ows for my first ows. I haven't taken a "rest day" since camping last week - if you call sleeping on the ground resting (but I love it). I'm looking forward to some Davidson Brothers beer this weekend on the NY side of Lake Champlain.

Mark, I'm with you - life getting in the way. LOL The only way I'll make 28 is to take no rest days until Tuesday and do 2 doubles in the next 3 days. All in all, I am happy to have had this goal because I don't think I would have been nearly as good about being consistent, so thank you to Thor. In case it's necessary, does one cold PBR = 12 warm Coors?

I admire your diligence and drive and I hope you make your goal. But if you start to feel sore - be sure to take a rest day. You've earned it!
2014-06-27 8:46 PM
in reply to: #5018599

Dave,
Thanks for the warm welcome and the sweet thread you've got here. I live in WNY, Dunkirk is my lake entry point. We LOVE going to Cleveland! Have had many a frosty pint down there over the last few years. I'll be flying out of CLE in a couple weeks for an epic all-girls camping/canoeing trip in the boundary waters of MN with my mom and daughter. Sounds like we have lots of ppl in the BDAAS who love that kind of thing, like me.
Michelle
2014-06-27 11:26 PM

User image

I discovered today that mountain biking at 6500 feet elevation is really freaking hard. In fact, I pretty much didn't stop swearing until my first beer tonight. It was a hard enough workout that I actually don't even know what I drank, and can't even report on it. I do know it wasn't great, but it was beer, and at the time that was all that mattered.

Sandi

PS. Yes, this means I got hills in.

2014-06-28 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by RunnerGrl76GoesTri

Dave,
Thanks for the warm welcome and the sweet thread you've got here. I live in WNY, Dunkirk is my lake entry point. We LOVE going to Cleveland! Have had many a frosty pint down there over the last few years. I'll be flying out of CLE in a couple weeks for an epic all-girls camping/canoeing trip in the boundary waters of MN with my mom and daughter. Sounds like we have lots of ppl in the BDAAS who love that kind of thing, like me.
Michelle

We are glad to have you! Frosty pints in Ohio, huh - you must have been to Great Lakes and Head Hunters (which I like more). You'll have to have a couple to kick off your EPIC canoeing trip!

I went out for a swim this morning and I made it about 5 minutes before I sucked down a couple pints of lake water, which got me thinking about your post yesterday. For our mutual benefit - here are some things that helped me this morning.

1) body rotation - by turning your whole body instead of just your head - your head and mouth are a little higher above the water line. Plus, focusing on getting good rotation will really help your get leverage on your stroke.

2) Slicing your hand into the water so you cut through the water instead of slapping into it.

3) All that bobbing around screwed with my body position and I found myself having to push my chest and head down to get my legs up.

Hope these suggestions help.

Edited by Qua17 2014-06-28 12:52 PM
2014-06-28 12:54 PM

User image

Expert

I discovered today that mountain biking at 6500 feet elevation is really freaking hard. In fact, I pretty much didn't stop swearing until my first beer tonight. It was a hard enough workout that I actually don't even know what I drank, and can't even report on it. I do know it wasn't great, but it was beer, and at the time that was all that mattered.

Sandi

PS. Yes, this means I got hills in.

Loved this - "But it was beer and at the time that was all that mattered." Sounds like you earned it.
2014-06-28 12:57 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Alan, congrats on finishing your hill challenge! Inspiring, if only the hills in my area were still green and scenic.

For the June challenge I'm currently at 21/28 due to life getting in the way of some planned workouts earlier in the month. This weekend I have my next race, a small local sprint which will be my first race on a TT bike instead of a MTB or hybrid commuter. Planning on a nice fast bike split!

Good luck to you today Mark and anyone else who is racing this weekend! Hope you have a blast and crush that bike split.
2014-06-28 2:35 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by MOlsen

This weekend I have my next race, a small local sprint which will be my first race on a TT bike instead of a MTB or hybrid commuter. Planning on a nice fast bike split!

Good luck to you today Mark and anyone else who is racing this weekend! Hope you have a blast and crush that bike split.

And crush it I did! I beat my time from last year by a good 5 minutes! Not all of it was bike either, on the run segment I held on to an 8:20 pace compared to my usual 9:15-9:30. Read the race report for the details. Next I'm heading to a BBQ where I'll enjoy my traditional post race beer: Racer 5 IPA.

Edited by MOlsen 2014-06-28 2:35 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51176 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19864 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.