BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2009-02-23 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1976299

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-02-22 8:23 PM

First of all, Heidi, congrats on the running!

I read the posts but haven't posted due to being super busy and not having much to say!

I have to tell you that Kellie is a super swim coach and my swimming has improved so much! I feel like I can swim and swim and swim due to better form.

I am leaving for the Florida Keys this week.  I will be gone a total of three weeks and will start my HIM training plan when I return.  I plan on swimming and running when I am gone! 

I do have a question: on May 31st, I was considering doing a 1/2 marathon or a sprint tri.  Which would be more productive for me?  I have another sprint planned for 6/21.  My two "A" races are my HIM 8/1 and the Detroit Marathon 10/18...not sure if I should register for the 1/2 marathon or the sprint.

You know Im going to vote for the tri    I think getting in a couple of sprints, maybe a olympic before that HIM will be helpful in building your confidence in the triathlon arena.  Since you have already done a bit of running and a marathon, I dont think doing a half marathon will give you too much benefit in the area you need, which is transitions, pacing in a triathlon race, and getting used to the s/b/r.     

The main thing will be getting yourself in open water a couple of times before the May 31st race so that you have the open water swim experience and confidence.   Stoney Creeks water may be warm enough by them, at least with a wetsuit!

2009-02-24 6:29 AM
in reply to: #1978208

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
kellc09 - 2009-02-23 9:17 PM

Hey guys!  Im back from San Diego.  Man it was nice there.   Now Im back to snow and cold    The coaching clinic was great also, it was great to be surrounded by some pretty smart and well respected people who work with and have coached Olympians.  ANd to be at the Olympic training center was very motivating in itself I thought.  

I hope everyone had a good last few days!

I am glad you had a good time!  I bet you aren't happy to be back in this weather!

And thanks for the advice on the tri vs 1/2 marathon thing!

I am starting to wonder how I am going to get all the cycling in during my training!  I have the swimming, running and weights fitting nicely into my schedule. Those 2-3 hour bike ride are going to kill me!

2009-02-24 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1978545

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-02-24 6:29 AM
kellc09 - 2009-02-23 9:17 PM

Hey guys!  Im back from San Diego.  Man it was nice there.   Now Im back to snow and cold    The coaching clinic was great also, it was great to be surrounded by some pretty smart and well respected people who work with and have coached Olympians.  ANd to be at the Olympic training center was very motivating in itself I thought.  

I hope everyone had a good last few days!

I am glad you had a good time!  I bet you aren't happy to be back in this weather!

And thanks for the advice on the tri vs 1/2 marathon thing!

I am starting to wonder how I am going to get all the cycling in during my training!  I have the swimming, running and weights fitting nicely into my schedule. Those 2-3 hour bike ride are going to kill me!

Make yourself a early morning riser on the weekends if your not already   I usually am up and on the bike by 7 or 8 if its a longer ride.  Then done at a reasonable time

2009-02-24 7:47 PM
in reply to: #1974020

User image

Expert
slow turtle - 2009-02-20 8:53 PM

Hey guys- Am I crazy to consider this?

http://albany.craigslist.org/bik/1042976355.html

My bike is a "street performance" Jamis Coda. It's flat bar, 26 lbs. I bought it when I thought I was only going to do some bike commuting and pulling the kids in the trailer. It was fine on the sprint distance last year, but I'm hesitant to do an Oly on it.

Has anyone here checked out something like this? What do you think? (Buying a new bike is not an option for a couple of years for me.)

I went and checked this out tonight. It's a community bike co-op. There were some really cool things about it. First, I like the concept. They take in unwanted bikes, fix them up and sell them cheap, or you can trade/barter for them.

They didn't have anything that will work for me right now. But, 2 of the guys that volunteer have done a few tri's. So it was really cool to talk to them. I think it was my first face-to-face conversation with other triathletes .They gave me some good tips about buying a pre-owned bike.

The other part of the co-op is that they have free bike maintenence/repair stuff available. So, I can bring my bike there to work on it, they will teach me how to do some basic stuff and I can use all of the tools that are there. Or, I can work on some of the donated bikes, if I'm hesitant to mess around with mine.

Plus, I can bring my  6 Y.O. daughter down, and they will teach her how to do some basic stuff.  She'll be totally psyched to work on her bike. Last year when we bought her kickstand and put it on, she was so excited to help.

So, even though they didn't have anything for me right now, it was definately worth checking out.

2009-02-25 3:58 PM
in reply to: #1980274

User image

Master
Sounds like you could learn a lot from the bike co-op, Heidi, cool!!

OK, gang, what would you do????????

I have a 3-hour ride on tap for tomorrow and a chance of snow. If not snow, definitely cold and it's raining here all day today, so it will be very wet. I'm thinking it's a day to slog away on the trainer. But 3 hours??? How would you do it?

I figure I should throw The Godfather or Gone With the Wind into the DVD player. (I do have a Spinnervals DVD that is 3 hours, I believe, but to me the only thing worse than sitting on the trainer for 3 hours might just be only listening to Coach Troy and only watching other spinners for 3 hours!)

Given that trainer rides can be "harder" than road rides, I was also thinking maybe 2 hours would suffice. But I hate to take the easy way out (unless it's a LT test -- LOL!!).

Got any ideas for how to break things up? I would keep the intensity low, it's only to be Z1/Z2. I figure stand in the big gears a few times to give my butt a break. Maybe play with the HR and ride 10 or 20 min. at various HR/%?

I welcome any ideas!!! Oh, and I am still getting over a nasty cold. I took yesterday and today off (first time I have taken two days in a row off in MONTHS), so I really will be ready to go tomorrow, I think.
2009-02-25 8:08 PM
in reply to: #1981883

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

kkcbelle - 2009-02-25 3:58 PM Sounds like you could learn a lot from the bike co-op, Heidi, cool!! OK, gang, what would you do???????? I have a 3-hour ride on tap for tomorrow and a chance of snow. If not snow, definitely cold and it's raining here all day today, so it will be very wet. I'm thinking it's a day to slog away on the trainer. But 3 hours??? How would you do it? I figure I should throw The Godfather or Gone With the Wind into the DVD player. (I do have a Spinnervals DVD that is 3 hours, I believe, but to me the only thing worse than sitting on the trainer for 3 hours might just be only listening to Coach Troy and only watching other spinners for 3 hours!) Given that trainer rides can be "harder" than road rides, I was also thinking maybe 2 hours would suffice. But I hate to take the easy way out (unless it's a LT test -- LOL!!). Got any ideas for how to break things up? I would keep the intensity low, it's only to be Z1/Z2. I figure stand in the big gears a few times to give my butt a break. Maybe play with the HR and ride 10 or 20 min. at various HR/%? I welcome any ideas!!! Oh, and I am still getting over a nasty cold. I took yesterday and today off (first time I have taken two days in a row off in MONTHS), so I really will be ready to go tomorrow, I think.

I have heard several times from coaches that trainer rides should not be much over and hour or maybe an hour and a half.  I hurt more on the trainer than I do on the road due to the lack of "lift" that the body gets when actually moving forward. 

Wait for Coach Kellie to advise you, but if you really feel you have to get 3 hours of ride time, I would split it up into 3 rides during the day.

2009-02-25 8:18 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

kkcbelle - 2009-02-25 3:58 PM Sounds like you could learn a lot from the bike co-op, Heidi, cool!! OK, gang, what would you do???????? I have a 3-hour ride on tap for tomorrow and a chance of snow. If not snow, definitely cold and it's raining here all day today, so it will be very wet. I'm thinking it's a day to slog away on the trainer. But 3 hours??? How would you do it? I figure I should throw The Godfather or Gone With the Wind into the DVD player. (I do have a Spinnervals DVD that is 3 hours, I believe, but to me the only thing worse than sitting on the trainer for 3 hours might just be only listening to Coach Troy and only watching other spinners for 3 hours!) Given that trainer rides can be "harder" than road rides, I was also thinking maybe 2 hours would suffice. But I hate to take the easy way out (unless it's a LT test -- LOL!!). Got any ideas for how to break things up? I would keep the intensity low, it's only to be Z1/Z2. I figure stand in the big gears a few times to give my butt a break. Maybe play with the HR and ride 10 or 20 min. at various HR/%? I welcome any ideas!!! Oh, and I am still getting over a nasty cold. I took yesterday and today off (first time I have taken two days in a row off in MONTHS), so I really will be ready to go tomorrow, I think.

Well, I may be the wrong person to ask Im a bit hard core on this matter since Im used to spending alot of time on the trainer here in Michigan.  If I have a time to cover, or a distance to cover, I still cover it on the trainer.    I watch movies, and listen to music.  ANd it sucks   But you get used to it.

However, if your not used to a lot of time on the trainer (and be honest), I would suggest topping it out at 2 hours for now and focus on quality riding for the 2 hours, and maybe throw in 2 or 3 sets of 15-20 minutes where you pick up the pace a bit.  That or just switching days around so that you can get that long ride in outside if the weather will be better later on in the week

2009-02-25 8:19 PM
in reply to: #1980274

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2009-02-24 7:47 PM
slow turtle - 2009-02-20 8:53 PM

Hey guys- Am I crazy to consider this?

http://albany.craigslist.org/bik/1042976355.html

My bike is a "street performance" Jamis Coda. It's flat bar, 26 lbs. I bought it when I thought I was only going to do some bike commuting and pulling the kids in the trailer. It was fine on the sprint distance last year, but I'm hesitant to do an Oly on it.

Has anyone here checked out something like this? What do you think? (Buying a new bike is not an option for a couple of years for me.)

I went and checked this out tonight. It's a community bike co-op. There were some really cool things about it. First, I like the concept. They take in unwanted bikes, fix them up and sell them cheap, or you can trade/barter for them.

They didn't have anything that will work for me right now. But, 2 of the guys that volunteer have done a few tri's. So it was really cool to talk to them. I think it was my first face-to-face conversation with other triathletes .They gave me some good tips about buying a pre-owned bike.

The other part of the co-op is that they have free bike maintenence/repair stuff available. So, I can bring my bike there to work on it, they will teach me how to do some basic stuff and I can use all of the tools that are there. Or, I can work on some of the donated bikes, if I'm hesitant to mess around with mine.

Plus, I can bring my  6 Y.O. daughter down, and they will teach her how to do some basic stuff.  She'll be totally psyched to work on her bike. Last year when we bought her kickstand and put it on, she was so excited to help.

So, even though they didn't have anything for me right now, it was definately worth checking out.

SOunds very cool even though you didnt walk away with a bike.  More resources and people to tap into more knowledge on is always good

2009-02-26 9:52 AM

User image

Expert

kkcbelle - 2009-02-25 4:58 PM Sounds like you could learn a lot from the bike co-op, Heidi, cool!! OK, gang, what would you do???????? I have a 3-hour ride on tap for tomorrow and a chance of snow. If not snow, definitely cold and it's raining here all day today, so it will be very wet. I'm thinking it's a day to slog away on the trainer. But 3 hours??? How would you do it? I figure I should throw The Godfather or Gone With the Wind into the DVD player. (I do have a Spinnervals DVD that is 3 hours, I believe, but to me the only thing worse than sitting on the trainer for 3 hours might just be only listening to Coach Troy and only watching other spinners for 3 hours!) Given that trainer rides can be "harder" than road rides, I was also thinking maybe 2 hours would suffice. But I hate to take the easy way out (unless it's a LT test -- LOL!!). Got any ideas for how to break things up? I would keep the intensity low, it's only to be Z1/Z2. I figure stand in the big gears a few times to give my butt a break. Maybe play with the HR and ride 10 or 20 min. at various HR/%? I welcome any ideas!!! Oh, and I am still getting over a nasty cold. I took yesterday and today off (first time I have taken two days in a row off in MONTHS), so I really will be ready to go tomorrow, I think.

I have no intelligent answer- but I'm wondering what you decided to do!

2009-02-26 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Kyla - I am wondering how you handle your three hour ride!

Greg asked me who was making me feel guilty for all my training...it is my fiance.  He thinks I put that over my kids.  It is just that training is a lot more satisfying.  My kids are a little spoiled and I get better results when training.  We talked about it and I think things will be okay.  He wants me to keep training and I train early in the morning while my kids are sleeping so usually they don't even notice me gone or are watching cartoons when I return.

Bigger issues: My knee still hurts when I ride my bike.  What do I do next? Go to the doctor?  Do you think some people just can't ride a bike?? I don't know what I will do about my HIM if I can't ride.  Will I have to give up the whole thing?  I know it is not the running.  When I lay off the bike, the knee heals even though I am running.

Good news: I am in Key Largo and ran outside in the warm weather and swam laps in a community pool which is outside in the sun.  It was lovely!

2009-02-26 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1983523

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-02-26 11:15 AM

Kyla - I am wondering how you handle your three hour ride!

Greg asked me who was making me feel guilty for all my training...it is my fiance.  He thinks I put that over my kids.  It is just that training is a lot more satisfying.  My kids are a little spoiled and I get better results when training.  We talked about it and I think things will be okay.  He wants me to keep training and I train early in the morning while my kids are sleeping so usually they don't even notice me gone or are watching cartoons when I return.

Bigger issues: My knee still hurts when I ride my bike.  What do I do next? Go to the doctor?  Do you think some people just can't ride a bike?? I don't know what I will do about my HIM if I can't ride.  Will I have to give up the whole thing?  I know it is not the running.  When I lay off the bike, the knee heals even though I am running.

Good news: I am in Key Largo and ran outside in the warm weather and swam laps in a community pool which is outside in the sun.  It was lovely!

I was wondering myself who was making you feel guilty, but didnt ask.   Well, I think most people have dealt with this.   I think its natural for some people to get up in arms about it, but they need to realize taht they have (or at least should have) something that they like to do also taht takes up some time out of the home, or not with the kids or whatever.   There are times training will interfere with something, there are times other things not training related will interfere with life also.  A lot of times its peoples inability to plan for training and non training related things that make it "get in the way"    Ive taken time off before, and Ive still been busy somehow, or I put off other things until the night, or until they ahve to be done, etc.  For most its about time management, not necessarily what your doing with your time.   

So for training, early mornings are a good compromise.  Sounds like youve figured some of that out and talked with him so that is good!!!!      Remind him also that a unhappy mommy isnt a very good mommy either.  

As for the knee.  Youve got the bike fit, youve got shoes, inserts, etc.  Could just be a injury flaring still, or you have some part of your leg that is biomechanically inefficient and could use some help, via therapy.   Thats unfortunately the only suggestion is to find someone who is good with biomechanics that can see how your lower body is working.

2009-02-26 6:28 PM

User image

Master
Thanks for the trainer feedback Greg and Kellie... Unfortunately life threw me CRAP for today!!! My power went out last night at 8pm while I had 15 women over for a book club (no storm, just old underground wiring and something blew). Then it snowed 4 inches and today was a snow day. Great... at home with kids and no power. Talk about a recipe for disaster. We killed the morning at Starbucks and on errands, then killed 4 hours by going skiing (didn't ski much, but loading/unloading/dressing/undressing etc.).

My cold is still lingering and I haven't done anything today!! I hope to sit on the bike a bit tonight -- I'll just log some time. Tomorrow was to be a 2-hour run. I think I will do a longish trainer ride (1:30-ish) and then an hour or 1:30 run, filling the time I have until I have to shower and be elsewhere.

This is just one of those bust weeks as far as training goes. My attitude is that EVERY workout is money in the bank so a few of these days won't kill me. It is hard for me to think like this because I really get motivated by seeing my logs and my minutes and such!! And once I commit to a plan I really like to follow it to a T as much as I can. It's not a lack of motivation that has held me back, it's just been a lot of things rolled up together. So I'll be back in the saddle (literally!) ASAP.
2009-02-26 7:21 PM
in reply to: #1984456

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

kkcbelle - 2009-02-26 6:28 PM Thanks for the trainer feedback Greg and Kellie... Unfortunately life threw me CRAP for today!!! My power went out last night at 8pm while I had 15 women over for a book club (no storm, just old underground wiring and something blew). Then it snowed 4 inches and today was a snow day. Great... at home with kids and no power. Talk about a recipe for disaster. We killed the morning at Starbucks and on errands, then killed 4 hours by going skiing (didn't ski much, but loading/unloading/dressing/undressing etc.). My cold is still lingering and I haven't done anything today!! I hope to sit on the bike a bit tonight -- I'll just log some time. Tomorrow was to be a 2-hour run. I think I will do a longish trainer ride (1:30-ish) and then an hour or 1:30 run, filling the time I have until I have to shower and be elsewhere. This is just one of those bust weeks as far as training goes. My attitude is that EVERY workout is money in the bank so a few of these days won't kill me. It is hard for me to think like this because I really get motivated by seeing my logs and my minutes and such!! And once I commit to a plan I really like to follow it to a T as much as I can. It's not a lack of motivation that has held me back, it's just been a lot of things rolled up together. So I'll be back in the saddle (literally!) ASAP.

LIfe can happen!   Dont sweat it if it doenst happen often

2009-02-27 5:21 PM
in reply to: #1984563

User image

Master
kellc09 - 2009-02-26 7:21 PM

kkcbelle - 2009-02-26 6:28 PM Thanks for the trainer feedback Greg and Kellie... Unfortunately life threw me CRAP for today!!! My power went out last night at 8pm while I had 15 women over for a book club (no storm, just old underground wiring and something blew). Then it snowed 4 inches and today was a snow day. Great... at home with kids and no power. Talk about a recipe for disaster. We killed the morning at Starbucks and on errands, then killed 4 hours by going skiing (didn't ski much, but loading/unloading/dressing/undressing etc.). My cold is still lingering and I haven't done anything today!! I hope to sit on the bike a bit tonight -- I'll just log some time. Tomorrow was to be a 2-hour run. I think I will do a longish trainer ride (1:30-ish) and then an hour or 1:30 run, filling the time I have until I have to shower and be elsewhere. This is just one of those bust weeks as far as training goes. My attitude is that EVERY workout is money in the bank so a few of these days won't kill me. It is hard for me to think like this because I really get motivated by seeing my logs and my minutes and such!! And once I commit to a plan I really like to follow it to a T as much as I can. It's not a lack of motivation that has held me back, it's just been a lot of things rolled up together. So I'll be back in the saddle (literally!) ASAP.

Thanks. Today I got back at life getting in my way and I did the three-hour trainer ride!!!!!! I was going to try to do a ride and a run and just do a long workout that way, but when I was on the trainer I talked myself into going the full 3 hours since biking is my weakness. Tomorrow morning I will try to do a decent-ish run before skiing. So, it may have been a crap week as far as training goes, but I got in that long ride, dammit, so I am pleased as punch about that. I'm back on the horse and ready to build up those minutes again!!!
2009-02-27 5:31 PM
in reply to: #1986687

User image

Expert
kkcbelle - 2009-02-27 6:21 PM

Thanks. Today I got back at life getting in my way and I did the three-hour trainer ride!!!!!! I was going to try to do a ride and a run and just do a long workout that way, but when I was on the trainer I talked myself into going the full 3 hours since biking is my weakness. Tomorrow morning I will try to do a decent-ish run before skiing. So, it may have been a crap week as far as training goes, but I got in that long ride, dammit, so I am pleased as punch about that. I'm back on the horse and ready to build up those minutes again!!!

That's awesome! Way to go!

2009-02-27 5:32 PM

User image

Expert

Jon- I believe this is the weekend for your Sprint! How are you feeling? Are you ready?

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

2009-02-27 7:56 PM
in reply to: #1986687

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
kkcbelle - 2009-02-27 5:21 PM

Awesome!!!!!!!!!   3 hour trainer rides rock!  In a mentally painful way

2009-02-27 9:43 PM

User image

Elgin, Ok
Yes this weekend is the sprint tri. My heat starts at 7:30 on Sunday morning. Not feeling so good. Throat is sore and lymph nodes are swolen. I am pumping in the orange juice tyring to knock out the cold before it starts. I ran a 22:13 3 mile today after playing keep away cardio football with the students. ( That game is better cardio than any running workout. It is awsome as an inside workout on cold days.) I hope that turns into a 21:00 on Sunday. I had a little left and count on the excitement of race day for an extra push.
2009-02-28 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1987060

User image

Master
hughes411 - 2009-02-27 9:43 PM

Yes this weekend is the sprint tri. My heat starts at 7:30 on Sunday morning. Not feeling so good. Throat is sore and lymph nodes are swolen. I am pumping in the orange juice tyring to knock out the cold before it starts. I ran a 22:13 3 mile today after playing keep away cardio football with the students. ( That game is better cardio than any running workout. It is awsome as an inside workout on cold days.) I hope that turns into a 21:00 on Sunday. I had a little left and count on the excitement of race day for an extra push.

So sorry to hear you are feeling something coming on. Hopefully it won't get worse. I'm a big fan of Zicam as well...

GOOD LUCK in your race tomorrow!! Lucky you!! We will all be so anxious to hear how it goes! HAVE FUN!!
2009-02-28 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1987060

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

hughes411 - 2009-02-27 9:43 PM Yes this weekend is the sprint tri. My heat starts at 7:30 on Sunday morning. Not feeling so good. Throat is sore and lymph nodes are swolen. I am pumping in the orange juice tyring to knock out the cold before it starts. I ran a 22:13 3 mile today after playing keep away cardio football with the students. ( That game is better cardio than any running workout. It is awsome as an inside workout on cold days.) I hope that turns into a 21:00 on Sunday. I had a little left and count on the excitement of race day for an extra push.

Yes good luck!!  And let us know how it went!

2009-02-28 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Roni and Holly- How was Snow Joke today? Give us a report!

2009-03-01 5:48 AM

User image

Elgin, Ok
Race morning. Eating some cereal and fixing to head out the door. It is about a 45 min drive to the race location. Thank you for all the well wishes and encouragement. I feel better this morning knowing that there were days that I wanted to skip training and new I couldn't because you all would call me on it. I feel pretty good. Crud that was comming on is gone. It will be a great day. I will post how I did as soon as I can get back to a computer. Once thanks again.

Here's to the start of a beautiful tri career!
2009-03-01 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1989026

User image

Master
hughes411 - 2009-03-01 5:48 AM

Race morning. Eating some cereal and fixing to head out the door. It is about a 45 min drive to the race location. Thank you for all the well wishes and encouragement. I feel better this morning knowing that there were days that I wanted to skip training and new I couldn't because you all would call me on it. I feel pretty good. Crud that was comming on is gone. It will be a great day. I will post how I did as soon as I can get back to a computer. Once thanks again.

Here's to the start of a beautiful tri career!

LOVE that attitude!! Really looking forward to the results! So happy to hear you fought off the cold. Go get 'em!
2009-03-01 11:16 AM

User image

Elgin, Ok
Swim 5:44
Bike 23:16
Run 24:01

Total 53:01
2009-03-01 11:18 AM

User image

Elgin, Ok
The plan worked until the run. I knew I needed a sub 6 min on the swim, and a sub 24 min on the bike. I was counting on the run to bring me home. I wanted a sub 21 min on the run but that did not happen. No real explination as to why. Just did not finish the race like I needed to.
Looking forward to the half iron in late may.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30