BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2009-04-29 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2069346

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
Subject: RE: Wednesday stuff
Good morning, Manatees!

It's a beautiful day here in South Louisiana! Hope you all are enjoying a taste of spring as well.

Lauren, I'm so sorry to hear about your knee. My son tore his acl while playing football and your symptoms sound somewhat like his. Definitely stay off it as much as you can. Insurance companies are such a pain! Of course their guidelines don't take athletes into consideration at all. They're just looking to spend as little money as possible. Maybe you could call your primary care provider and be assertive about getting an ortho consult. Good luck to you and remember to do no additional harm by staying off or it. I personally think the bike is a bad idea until you have a diagnosis and your dr's ok to ride. I'm a retired ER nurse and we immoblize knees with a device to keep them from bending and we give out crutches when someone presents with your history and symptoms. Don't risk permanent damage. Not doing anything is frustrating, but your chances of a full recovery are better the less damage you do. Oh, btw, have you seen the physical therapist? What is his/her take? They usually have lots of experience with hurt knees. Also, they may be able to push for an speedier MRI order.

Thanks for the swim advice. I should be able to swim where I can touch the bottom. Also, if we set up buoys, I can practice sighting, and I'll wear my bright yellow cap, so Tim can see me and he'll know I'll be beween those buoys. 

For those of you who are looking for bike shoes, I bought my first pair a few months ago. I definitely would not buy them without trying them on. I probably tried on 10 pair and they were anywhere from a 38 to a 42. The ones I finally got are a size 41. I wear a 7.5 street shoe and a size 9 running shoe. The bike shoes seemed to have a lot more variation from one manufacturer to another as far as size. 

I am sore from a tough leg workout the other day and bike & run interval training yesterday. Today I have a long swim planned. We are having company from out of town, so I have plenty of housework and grocery shopping to do as well.

Happy training and have a nice day, everyone!!

2009-04-29 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2117704

mammatri's - 2009-04-30 7:00 AM Good morning, Manatees!

It's a beautiful day here in South Louisiana! Hope you all are enjoying a taste of spring as well.

Lauren, I'm so sorry to hear about your knee. My son tore his acl while playing football and your symptoms sound somewhat like his. Definitely stay off it as much as you can. Insurance companies are such a pain! Of course their guidelines don't take athletes into consideration at all. They're just looking to spend as little money as possible. Maybe you could call your primary care provider and be assertive about getting an ortho consult. Good luck to you and remember to do no additional harm by staying off or it. I personally think the bike is a bad idea until you have a diagnosis and your dr's ok to ride. I'm a retired ER nurse and we immoblize knees with a device to keep them from bending and we give out crutches when someone presents with your history and symptoms. Don't risk permanent damage. Not doing anything is frustrating, but your chances of a full recovery are better the less damage you do. Oh, btw, have you seen the physical therapist? What is his/her take? They usually have lots of experience with hurt knees. Also, they may be able to push for an speedier MRI order.

I see the PT next week. I'so anxious to see him/her (waiting for the office to call), hoping they have an idea of what is going on. I live in Co. Springs, so I could really turn up trumps and get a great PT. We have the AF Academy, CC Hockey, Olympic Training Center and even the Denver Broncos come down here because we have some of the premier sports dr/PTs in the country here.

Unfortunately, my health care provider is the US Army (haha), and with their concentration on soldiers and keeping them happy (naturally).....family members can get a pretty short stick on ortho needs.  Luckily, physical therapy is something they always send out to civilian providers, so that was pretty simple.

I have wanted to tell you since the group formed that I lived in La. for the 5 most blissful yrs of my adult life. I absolutely loved it and my BFF still lives there. I was there last New Yrs visiting her (she lives near DeRidder). Now that I"m in Colorado, I've been teaching my friends all about beignets, King Cakes and crawfish etouffee, lol.

Lauren
2009-04-29 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
Lauren, where did you live in LA? How do you like living in CO? I love LA and I have lived here all my life, but I bet it's easier training in CO.
2009-04-29 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2117109

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL

lunabelle - 2009-04-28 6:28 PM Still not feeling so hot, so today I got a massage and a garmin 305.  Does this count as training?

I think rest days are just as important in our training and harder days. Congrats on your Garmin purchase and hope the massage was blissful. Feel better.

2009-04-29 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2118202

mammatri's - 2009-04-30 9:28 AM Lauren, where did you live in LA? How do you like living in CO? I love LA and I have lived here all my life, but I bet it's easier training in CO.

We lived at Ft. Polk, which is central, between Lake Charles and Alex. But we really traveled all over La and spent quite a bit of time in NOLA, pre Katrina. We also loved to drive the shore, esp down in Cameron Parish. It is so beautiful down there.

It is easier training in CO. You wouldn't believe how active ppl are....there are races every weekend, the roads packed with big groups of bikers whenever the weather is nice. There are so many trails and parks and 75% the weather is perfect to train, not too hot or cold. And no gators in our ponds and lakes, lol

Still, I envy you! I'd go back to La in a heartbeat.
2009-04-29 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2117109

User image

Champion
lunabelle - 2009-04-28 8:28 PM Still not feeling so hot, so today I got a massage and a garmin 305.  Does this count as training?

YES, YES IT DOES. 

a massage is an ESSENTIAL part of trng imho (im due)

and the GARMIN.  retail therapy.   totally sweet.  you lucky duck.

sorry your not feeling so hot.

2009-04-29 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2117480

User image

Master
Utah
Subject: RE: weekly goal

TriAya - 2009-04-29 2:14 AM
givemashot - 2009-04-29 12:49 AM

Guess what? I swam! Yay! Not much, just 800 yards, but it was reallllly hard to make myself get in that water. I even sat in the parking lot for at least 10 minutes, trying NOT to bail out. My goal this week is to do at least one run, and two bike workouts. Easy, simple, just get on the trainer and spin for at least 20 minutes type of stuff. My joints are getting better, and everything else seems to be doing better as well.  

Congratulations on the swim! So glad things are getting better ...

Me too!

2009-04-29 6:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi everybody! Sorry I've been MIA for awhile. The last two weeks have included (in no particular order) turmoil at work (including a paycut), a broken mower and a funeral. When I did get a chance to get a bike ride in I got a flat and learned that: 1) The patches I had aren't worth the space they take up in my bag, 2) There are different valve stem legths and I need tubes with longer valves because of the design of my wheels on my new bike.

But that's life isn't it? Just got to deal with things as they come and get back into it. The good news is it looks like the worst is over. I also convinced my wife to do a sprint with me this year. She started taking swimming lessons yesterday. It'll be fun training with her.

Hope you all are doing well.

Art
2009-04-29 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2119411

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
reid15 - 2009-04-29 7:23 PM Hi everybody! Sorry I've been MIA for awhile. The last two weeks have included (in no particular order) turmoil at work (including a paycut), a broken mower and a funeral. When I did get a chance to get a bike ride in I got a flat and learned that: 1) The patches I had aren't worth the space they take up in my bag, 2) There are different valve stem legths and I need tubes with longer valves because of the design of my wheels on my new bike. But that's life isn't it? Just got to deal with things as they come and get back into it. The good news is it looks like the worst is over. I also convinced my wife to do a sprint with me this year. She started taking swimming lessons yesterday. It'll be fun training with her. Hope you all are doing well. Art

Art!

so good to hear from you!  sorry to hear things have been rough, sounds like a tough couple of weeks

that's awesome about your wife!  be sure to keep us posted

2009-04-30 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2119545

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: Weekly goals
Well - only Wednesday and I fell down on my goal. I had a yoga class and a bike ride planned, but didn't get the biking in. ;-(

I just had so much to do yesterday, and I was so tired ... Tuesday was a hard workout day and I felt like I needed a bit more of a rest day.

That's ok, right? To flake out on my own goal 3 days in?

It's the bike ... you can't stop me from running and swimming - LOVE running and swimming ... but the bike is such a chore for me. Tell me the magic secret to loving it.
2009-04-30 10:59 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-04-30 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2120864

New user

You too Bill,  Good luck on your ride!!!
2009-04-30 12:32 PM

Champion
OOOOPS.  BILL thats right, your ride is this weekend.  forgive my 'whatever you are up to this weekend' msg.  HAPPY RIDING.

and i went to the link you sent me.  the bike looks totally awesome. i called the shop and they still have them available.  im gonna ride over on saturday after my kids run in the PGH Kids marathon (1 miler) and feast my eyes on the thing of beauty. 

thanks for all your help.
stacieb
2009-04-30 12:36 PM

Champion
alrighty manatees back from a threesome at the Y (sounds funny, huh?)

60 min spin.
20 min run
10 min swim.

in that order.

i was 'supposed' to do a 27 min run and 27 min swim, but i just felt 'flat' today. what w my 10K relay leg just thought it best to dial it back.  but a nice showing regardless.

since when is a 90 min workout not considered a workout??  silly me.

on to the EXPO tomorrow.  dont you all like event Expo.  such a BUZZ in the air.

ive been sporting wool sock and i love em.  im hoping i can pick up another/new pair tomorrow at the running stores booth, hopefully at a good discount too.

its gonna be a GRAND DAY IN THE CITY OF BRIDGES!!!

hope everyone is having a happy!
stacieb

2009-04-30 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2120750

Master
Utah

SpiritFire - 2009-04-30 9:29 AM Well - only Wednesday and I fell down on my goal. I had a yoga class and a bike ride planned, but didn't get the biking in. ;-( I just had so much to do yesterday, and I was so tired ... Tuesday was a hard workout day and I felt like I needed a bit more of a rest day. That's ok, right? To flake out on my own goal 3 days in? It's the bike ... you can't stop me from running and swimming - LOVE running and swimming ... but the bike is such a chore for me. Tell me the magic secret to loving it.

I think that's not flaking out on your goal. It's listening to our body and adjusting to what it needs most for optimal performance. Isn't that the whole point of training anyway?

And when you figure out the magic secret to loving the bike, let me know. I could use a little magic when it comes to loving the bike. 

2009-04-30 1:09 PM

Master
Utah
Subject: RE: today's activities

Guess what? I ran! And it felt pretty darn good, too. I kept it short, and tried to do a grandma-slow pace (really it's not that much slower than my race pace anyways ). I think the recovery from the half mary is becoming a reality.  Now to bike tomorrow. I think I might have to adjust my goals--I think I am going to do the 2k run/walk with my kids on Saturday. IF they still want to, that is.

2009-04-30 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2121259

Champion
Subject: RE: today's activities
givemashot - 2009-04-30 1:09 PM

Guess what? I ran! And it felt pretty darn good, too. I kept it short, and tried to do a grandma-slow pace (really it's not that much slower than my race pace anyways ). I think the recovery from the half mary is becoming a reality.  Now to bike tomorrow. I think I might have to adjust my goals--I think I am going to do the 2k run/walk with my kids on Saturday. IF they still want to, that is.

AMY THATS AWESOME.  feelin' pretty darn good.  woo hoo.  im sure your far from a granny-slow pace.    thats cute.

good job on the rcvry.

any events on the horizon??  resetting goals, huh?  what you got on your mind moving forward?

my kids are doin a 1 miler in conjunction w the PGH MARATHON this Saturday.  arent those kid races fun??

hope yours wanna.

stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-04-30 4:30 PM
2009-04-30 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2118393

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
lmscozz - 2009-04-29 12:42 PM

lunabelle - 2009-04-28 6:28 PM Still not feeling so hot, so today I got a massage and a garmin 305.  Does this count as training?

I think rest days are just as important in our training and harder days. Congrats on your Garmin purchase and hope the massage was blissful. Feel better.

I couldn't agree more about rest days!

I *heart* rest days

Seriously, our bodies need time to recover and rebuild.......the scheduled rest days are for a purpose, and while it's sometimes hard to believe, they do help to make us stronger and faster

2009-04-30 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2120750

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
SpiritFire - 2009-04-30 11:29 AM Well - only Wednesday and I fell down on my goal. I had a yoga class and a bike ride planned, but didn't get the biking in. ;-( I just had so much to do yesterday, and I was so tired ... Tuesday was a hard workout day and I felt like I needed a bit more of a rest day. That's ok, right? To flake out on my own goal 3 days in? It's the bike ... you can't stop me from running and swimming - LOVE running and swimming ... but the bike is such a chore for me. Tell me the magic secret to loving it.

TR

a rest day is more than ok!

I would encourage you to take a look at your goals and make sure they are realistic for you. You have a busy life and it needs to be about balance and enjoyment

The only thing I will say about the biking is to share some of my experience with learning to run

i felt it was the biggest chore and i couldn't stand it..........i almost love it now, but shhhhhhh, i don't want anyone to know

someone much wiser than me advised me to quite focusing on the fact that it was a chore and to take the challenge head on

i have to admit i resisted this approach for quite some time....but i finally realized that by only swimming and biking i was never going to learn to improve on the run, let alone enjoy it

so, i made a decsion, on days that i had to choose between running and something else, i chose to run

it was PAINFUL at first and i hated it, but then i started to see some progress, and some more progress, i became interested and all the sudden, it wasn't so bad

just some food for thought

2009-04-30 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2121167

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
skrtrnr - 2009-04-30 1:36 PM alrighty manatees back from a threesome at the Y (sounds funny, huh?)

60 min spin.
20 min run
10 min swim.

in that order.

i was 'supposed' to do a 27 min run and 27 min swim, but i just felt 'flat' today. what w my 10K relay leg just thought it best to dial it back.  but a nice showing regardless.

since when is a 90 min workout not considered a workout??  silly me.

on to the EXPO tomorrow.  dont you all like event Expo.  such a BUZZ in the air.

ive been sporting wool sock and i love em.  im hoping i can pick up another/new pair tomorrow at the running stores booth, hopefully at a good discount too.

its gonna be a GRAND DAY IN THE CITY OF BRIDGES!!!

hope everyone is having a happy!
stacieb

threesome at the Y!

makes me giggle

2009-05-01 12:44 PM

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
wow!

did i kill the thread?

Happy Friday everyone!

2009-05-01 1:27 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: My Friday
Hi Everyone,

I have been running around like a crazy lady for the past few days...thus no posts.   I have read everything but not replied.

I got my Bike!!!!!!!!!!!!    It was so nuts yesterday!   My son had a track meet about an hour east of us, so left home at 9am to watch him run.   I knew the bike was supposed to be on the UPS truck so called our driver and told him I wanted that bike and not to come all the way to the ranch.    I called the LBS and asked if they would put my bike together and do a fitting if I was there by 3pm....the bike shop is an hour back west to our town, then 90 miles south to Cheyenne.   Everything fell into place....my son ran his 200m, I took off, met the UPS guy at the mini-mart, met my dh at the end of our road (he brought my workout bag with bike clothes and swim suit), and got the LBS at 3:11!!  

These guys were awesome!   The are a Specialized store and loved my bike...thought it was an awesome deal.    We unpacked the box, they put it together...said it was in perfect shape!    Then I went for the fitting and...wow, it was so cool.   He put the bike on a trainer and me on the bike and we tweaked and adjusted.    He measured all kinds of angles and it felt so good when we were done.   It was also a real boost because he said I was a "natural" because I had perfect form even though I had never been on a bike.   I needed to hear that because I have been so afraid of the bike part.    They found some used Shimano pedals for me - $20, through in the cleats.  I bought a helmet and also ordered Specialized Riata MTB shoes.   (I always second guess myself and read today that these might not be a good choice for Tri's???  Any comments???).     I have to go back next week when the shoes come in to get the final fitting with the pedals...for now they loaned me some pedals to use so I could get out on the bike.

Then I went for a swim.  I had swum on Wed morning and it was a hard workout.  I was really doubting myself that I could do this and could get in shape in time...but last night, my swim was wonderful!    I did 1000yds and it felt great!   I also met 3 other ladies who are doing the Cheyenne Tri.   Two were training together and they weren't too friendly, but the other gal is a newbie and she was great.    I was thinking that we had to give a swim time in order to be seeded correctly at the race, so my Ebay Tri friend, Larry, told me to swim a 250 at a reasonable speed, double it and use that.   I did that after my warm-up yesterday, but I don't know if I should use it.   My concerns...it was much faster than I expected!   Also, it was 250yd rather than 250meters, but I swam it in exactly 4min.     I was thinking more like 15-20min for the 500???  Your thoughts?

One other question - somewhere I read about it costing to register for races on Active.com...is there another way?  

2009-05-01 2:10 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: pool or lake?
I just talked to the race director on the phone. Funny thing...he was at the pool last night coaching his wife and when she got out of the pool, I took her place in the lane.  We exchanged a few words.  If I had known, I would have picked his brain for more tips, etc!

I called because I printed out the registration form and it says "Pool swim for those with times over 15min."   I truly don't know what mine will be but I am kind of afraid of the open water.   He said it was ok for me to go ahead with the pool swim, to try to get a more accurate time and also that he was trying to keep the pool open for those who were really not strong swimmers.   He said some registrations had already come in with times of 7 and 8min.   He has x-number of spots for the pool and he said if they all filled, he would start calling those fast folks and tell them they had to do open water.

My thoughts...this lake is yucky!   I don't really want to swim in it.  It probably wouldn't need a wet suit, but I sure can't afford to buy one now - lake temp estimated at 72*.     The only other thing to consider is that the pool swimmers will have ~3min hike/run to get from the pool to T1! And he said you will need some kind of shoes for that hike/run.   Would you suggest running shoes, Keen sandals, ?????   Because of this, he is running it as 2 completely separate courses, i.e. pool swimmers are only competing against other pool swimmers.

Sharie
2009-05-01 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2124245

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: pool or lake?

ranchrunner - 2009-05-01 12:10 PM I just talked to the race director on the phone. Funny thing...he was at the pool last night coaching his wife and when she got out of the pool, I took her place in the lane.  We exchanged a few words.  If I had known, I would have picked his brain for more tips, etc!

I called because I printed out the registration form and it says "Pool swim for those with times over 15min."   I truly don't know what mine will be but I am kind of afraid of the open water.   He said it was ok for me to go ahead with the pool swim, to try to get a more accurate time and also that he was trying to keep the pool open for those who were really not strong swimmers.   He said some registrations had already come in with times of 7 and 8min.   He has x-number of spots for the pool and he said if they all filled, he would start calling those fast folks and tell them they had to do open water.

My thoughts...this lake is yucky!   I don't really want to swim in it.  It probably wouldn't need a wet suit, but I sure can't afford to buy one now - lake temp estimated at 72*.     The only other thing to consider is that the pool swimmers will have ~3min hike/run to get from the pool to T1! And he said you will need some kind of shoes for that hike/run.   Would you suggest running shoes, Keen sandals, ?????   Because of this, he is running it as 2 completely separate courses, i.e. pool swimmers are only competing against other pool swimmers.

Sharie

Congrats on your bike!! It sounds just perfect for you. So glad you are getting support from the LBS, swim peeps, etc. SOunds like your 250 time is pretty good. Do you have a swim background?

Never had a choice on a swim and never have done a pool swim so I can't help you there. The open water swims are scary/fun, kind of like a rollercoaster. I would think you'll have more space to spread out vs. the pool dealing with clogged lanes. You'll have to see what everyone else things though.

Have a great weekend. Send us a picture of your new sweetie (the bike).

2009-05-01 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2124245

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: pool or lake?
ranchrunner - 2009-05-01 3:10 PM

br />

Sharie

Sharie - If you want to use a wetsuit but don't want to buy one you could rent one at www.wetsuitrentals.com. I understand the yuck factor, I did a couple training swims in a bay last year with a squishy bottom and sea weed.....ick. I'd have to use my running shoes for a 3 min run. That's too far for my bike road shoes.

Art
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  

of 59