BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-06-02 6:57 AM
in reply to: #3528152

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
cbrookhart - 2011-06-01 6:38 PM

Back from a 5 mile tempo run (on the treadmill).  I wasn't about to push two kids in a jogging stroller in this heat.  My plan was 10 min warm up, 8 min hard (8:20 min/mile), 2 min easy (10:00 min/mile).  Did it once.  Thought I would die.  Decided 8:20 wasn't doable.  Tried 9:00.  Ended up doing some kind of random hard 2 min (who knows how fast) 3 min easy.  I was just doing what I could to get it done.  Feel good now that it's over.  I almost quit after 30 min.  Glad I didn't.

Christy

haha, sounds like every one of my treadmill runs.

2011-06-02 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

I'm gonna try a run at lunch today.  I think I've been feeling like I feel a little better (purposely being overly vague there).  I played softball over the weekend and given the amount I jogged I should have gotten dizzy but felt ok (still wasn't much jogging, but a little).  I hopeful.

Of course, over the weekend I also bought a mountain bike figuring I was going to have to entertain myself w/o running all summer, so it would make perfect sense that immediately after that I get better.  An MD Bter was moving and had an offer I couldn't refuse.  My new house in the 'burbs (Moving Saturday!) is near some trails so I'm looking forward to trying it (I grew up mountain biking, but it's been over 10 years since I've done it).

I also leave for Denver for the week on Sunday, so I might be a little MIA for a bit.  American Society for Mass Spectrometry conference (don't lie, I know you're all jealous!).  The dang Rockies are out of town though...was hoping to catch a game.

2011-06-02 7:58 AM
in reply to: #3527779

User image

Veteran
Naples
nmladic - 2011-06-01 2:35 PM
[email protected] - 2011-06-01 9:30 AM

Let the Florida runner deal with the heat question lol

I run in heat all the time, summer is unbearable even in early morning hours.  You have to slow down and drink lots.  I ran the Chicago Marathon in 2007 when it was 95 degrees and they ran out of water (you probably heard about it, it was a mess).  Anyway during Chicago I kept telling people to drink and most of the ones who did not train in heat were passing the water stops early and paid for it later.  You have to drink lots and early but don't become water logged. Also were light clothes, don't try to sweat off pounds, and lots of cool drinks to recover after.  It's rough by you can do it. 

Why thank you! It's our first hot week here and I'm running outside tonight. You know what really bothers me running in the heat? Blisters, foot swelling and chafing. Any magic tricks you have for that are much appreciated. Running in heat is a whole different ball game for us Yankees.

Blisters, foot swelling and chafing   thats all fun stuff, body glide, body glide and more body glide, even on the feet.  It helps and on longer runs some of my friends even change socks half way through (i've never tried it). 

2011-06-02 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3527920

User image

Veteran
Naples
jsiegs - 2011-06-01 3:55 PM
[email protected] - 2011-06-01 10:19 AM

Hey guys

Had a good couple of training days on the bike, rode 35 on Sunday and 50 on Monday with a 3 mile run. Took yesterday off, well deserved.   I am going to try to fit a training run in today, but schedule is very tight.

Sprint tri this weekend, 5K run, 10 mile bike and .25 mile swim (yes, its backwards in Naples.  Wish me luck I am trying to break an hour.  Last two years my time has been 1:05:00 or so.

Good Luck!  Reverse seems crazy to me...I never feel good swimming as the second workout in a day, I think I'd just flail around in the water in a race.

Putting my weakest link last makes it all the more fun and interesting, luckily its only .25 mile.  Thats pretty much what I look like a flailing flooping bad swimmer :

2011-06-02 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Hey all,

Just got in from a easy (with some moderate interval efforts) on my new bike. I am really excited to get extremely comfortable on the bike...all in due time. Unfortunately I wish I had a bit more time to get acclimated to the bike before my race next weekend, however I am going to be riding a decent amount this weekend (the joys of a going to a wedding out of town, where there are some good roads to ride!).

Definitely will be running also, I am glad to finally have that spark again.

P.S. I was 'spying' on some other groups...we have a pretty rad group if I may say so myself. Thanks Randy and Joe!

2011-06-02 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3528824

User image

Master
Baltimore
Savage8778 - 2011-06-02 9:53 AM

Hey all,

Just got in from a easy (with some moderate interval efforts) on my new bike. I am really excited to get extremely comfortable on the bike...all in due time. Unfortunately I wish I had a bit more time to get acclimated to the bike before my race next weekend, however I am going to be riding a decent amount this weekend (the joys of a going to a wedding out of town, where there are some good roads to ride!).

Definitely will be running also, I am glad to finally have that spark again.

P.S. I was 'spying' on some other groups...we have a pretty rad group if I may say so myself. Thanks Randy and Joe!

New bike eh???  Pics or I don't believe you.

I agree too - we are pretty awesome!  Thanks you you as well.

2011-06-02 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3528611

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-06-02 7:07 AM

I'm gonna try a run at lunch today.  I think I've been feeling like I feel a little better (purposely being overly vague there).  I played softball over the weekend and given the amount I jogged I should have gotten dizzy but felt ok (still wasn't much jogging, but a little).  I hopeful.

Of course, over the weekend I also bought a mountain bike figuring I was going to have to entertain myself w/o running all summer, so it would make perfect sense that immediately after that I get better.  An MD Bter was moving and had an offer I couldn't refuse.  My new house in the 'burbs (Moving Saturday!) is near some trails so I'm looking forward to trying it (I grew up mountain biking, but it's been over 10 years since I've done it).

I also leave for Denver for the week on Sunday, so I might be a little MIA for a bit.  American Society for Mass Spectrometry conference (don't lie, I know you're all jealous!).  The dang Rockies are out of town though...was hoping to catch a game.

Good luck with the run.  And the move.  Kind of funny that you're moving in with your fiance on Saturday and you're leaving for Denver on Sunday Smile.

Do you mtn bike at Loch Raven?  

2011-06-02 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3528960

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

I'm contemplating training for a half marathon. Training starts July 17th (right in the heat of the summer, yay! Frown )

I'm thinking it would help me on my running, and the club I would join has seminars every Saturday (I'm guessing before the run) about things like: proper shoes, nutrition, hydration, etc. Costly? Yes, it's $130 to join.

I've done a group thing before for a marathon but I did it with a friend. That program was nothing like this group, and in fact, we ended up doing our own training and broke away from the group. They didn't miss us apparently!

I know I would never actually train by myself for a HM, but what are your thoughts? I guess I'm looking for someone to push me over the edge with this - doing this would prolong us expanding our family, which I REALLY want to do, this year. At the same time, I'm no where near the weight I want to be before getting pregnant again, and that is a huge factor for me.

thoughts?

2011-06-02 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
EDIT: tried to post a picture from my phone, but I am experiencing a technological fail. Will post tomorrow, as I will be on the road later today for the wedding.

Edited by Savage8778 2011-06-02 11:26 AM
2011-06-02 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Well....my swim was cut short by a poopy diaper.  On the bright side, it was my son's, not mine Smile.

Christy

2011-06-02 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3529217

User image

Veteran
Naples
cbrookhart - 2011-06-02 12:35 PM

Well....my swim was cut short by a poopy diaper.  On the bright side, it was my son's, not mine Smile.

Christy

thank god for that : )   Just think some day he will be changing your poopy diapers

2011-06-02 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3529050

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Karla, I think it's a great idea to join the group. You'll be more motivated and push yourself more. The comraderie will be nice, too. Since you already want to lose more weight, and want to push yourself, you don't really have a reason not to do it now. A couple months on the kiddos isn't that much. Now, ask me what I really think!  Wink Deb
2011-06-02 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3529050

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
khharms - 2011-06-02 10:36 AM

I'm contemplating training for a half marathon. Training starts July 17th (right in the heat of the summer, yay! Frown )

I'm thinking it would help me on my running, and the club I would join has seminars every Saturday (I'm guessing before the run) about things like: proper shoes, nutrition, hydration, etc. Costly? Yes, it's $130 to join.

I've done a group thing before for a marathon but I did it with a friend. That program was nothing like this group, and in fact, we ended up doing our own training and broke away from the group. They didn't miss us apparently!

I know I would never actually train by myself for a HM, but what are your thoughts? I guess I'm looking for someone to push me over the edge with this - doing this would prolong us expanding our family, which I REALLY want to do, this year. At the same time, I'm no where near the weight I want to be before getting pregnant again, and that is a huge factor for me.

thoughts?

It sounds like a great idea.  If you have the money, and if you're ok with waiting to have a baby.  Is your husband ok with waiting?  I do think it is a good idea to get close to a weight you're comfortable with before trying.  It was MUCH harder for me to lose weight after my second.   And it took a lot longer.  I'm not sure if that's true for everyone.  

Christy

2011-06-02 2:13 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
cbrookhart - 2011-06-02 11:35 AM

Well....my swim was cut short by a poopy diaper. 

Christy

Pics or it didn't happen.... Just kidding of course   I don't miss those diaper days.

Randy
2011-06-02 3:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
@Randy: you just made me actually 'LOL' and people around me at the car wash are looking like I am crazy. Sweet.
2011-06-02 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3529352

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
cbrookhart - 2011-06-02 12:38 PM
khharms - 2011-06-02 10:36 AM

thoughts?

It sounds like a great idea.  If you have the money, and if you're ok with waiting to have a baby.  Is your husband ok with waiting?  I do think it is a good idea to get close to a weight you're comfortable with before trying.  It was MUCH harder for me to lose weight after my second.   And it took a lot longer.  I'm not sure if that's true for everyone.  

Christy

lol - my husband is good with one! I want 2 more, but I think we will stop at 2.

The flip side to waiting is that I won't get a single Tri in next year if we wait... I'm not sure I want to do that! Now that I'm 'addicted' I want to keep going, even if I have a post baby set back.

I'm going to think about it more, but I may wait and do one after baby #2, then that way I don't have to decide!

2011-06-02 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
cbrookhart - 2011-06-02 11:35 AM

Christy

Hate that!! I got called out b/c Audrey fell on her ear and wouldn't stop crying! At least I got the whole spin class in, I only missed core.

2011-06-02 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3529625

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Savage8778 - 2011-06-02 3:03 PM @Randy: you just made me actually 'LOL' and people around me at the car wash are looking like I am crazy. Sweet.

LOL!! Me too!! Except I'm home... just the dog is staring at me like I'm crazy. hmm.

2011-06-02 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3529642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

lol - my husband is good with one! I want 2 more, but I think we will stop at 2.

The flip side to waiting is that I won't get a single Tri in next year if we wait... I'm not sure I want to do that! Now that I'm 'addicted' I want to keep going, even if I have a post baby set back.

I'm going to think about it more, but I may wait and do one after baby #2, then that way I don't have to decide!

Funny.  We had the same issue here.  I'd still like 3, but I think I'd have to find another husband.  You can always try and let whatever happens, happen.  It took us a lot longer to have our second.

2011-06-02 10:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Hi gang. Finished my long swim tonight. Felt like I was swimming through mud at first, but managed to get a better rhythm after about 20 minutes in the water.  Rest day tomorrow - woot!

In related news ... I had planned to focus on swimming in June, but now I find out our pool is closed for a whole week next week! Darn. I will need to find another place to swim, which isn't easy when you don't start until 9 p.m.  I hope I can swim Sunday night before they start draining the water.  (I won't be home in the morning to go early.)  Talk about a setback.

On the bright side, I contacted the hotel where we're staying on my vacation to California (for the first leg of the trip - Carmel), and the owners found me a 25 yd pool at a local health club where I can swim by purchasing a day pass.  I was worried I'd have to go 9 days with no swims - which was very troublesome for me as it's my weakest sport. I should be OK for the tri, but I can't help worrying about it.  I guess this is what they mean by the phrase "life gets in the way!" 

2011-06-03 1:29 AM

User image

Regular
Carmichael
With graduation coming up next weekend I am already planning how I will spend my graduation money. Not sure how much I will get but am hopeful it is enough to make a couple upgrades. Namely an aero helmet, or a new bike saddle. Any suggestions on either of these purchases would be very helpful! If any of you have rode an ISM saddle or Fizik saddle let me know as those are two I am looking at. Totally open to whatever helmet I can find, so open to ay suggestions. Help me spend my money

2011-06-03 7:52 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Matt-I have been using an Adamo Road ISM saddle since last November.  Before that I was using a Cobb V-Flow Max.  I liked the Cobb alright but had read so many good things about the Adamo that I thought it was worth a try.  Took me several weeks to get the Adamo dialed in.  Several times I considered going back to the Cobb.  The Adamo does take some getting use to.  I am not one of those people that have found that magical experience where I could ride forever on it.  With that said I do like it and have not had any problems with it.  I use chamois creme for all my rides and I think that helps with any saddle you use.  Saddles are such a personal thing.  Some bike stores may let you try a few out and I think Trisports has a demo program on the Adamo where you can use it for awhile for around $25.  Another option is to find a used one.  There are many people that never get comfortable on the Adamo and sell them in new condition.   

My experience was the Adamo was most comfortable when riding aero...not very comfortable initially when sitting up.  Cobb was good while sitting up but not as comfortable while riding aero.  May make a difference if you are putting it on a road or tri bike.

No experience with the Fizik.

Randy
2011-06-03 8:09 AM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Excited today. Have an appt. with Coach Bob, the TI swim coach here in Dallas. Have my first open water Sunday and know he will give me some good pointers. What's everyone got planned for this weekend?
2011-06-03 9:14 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Deb-good luck with the swim training.  I did a TI (Total Immersion) clinic early on in my learning to swim journey.  I think it provides some really good basics for "mere mortals" like myself.  I sill use several of the balance drills that I learned in the clinic in almost every one of my workouts.  Getting good balance in the water is a big part of what TI teaches.

This weekend-tomorrow I will be racing the Grandman Sprint in my hometown of Fairhope, AL.  This was my first tri 2 years ago.  I competed in the First-timers division and finished 2nd out of about 60-70 despite a 4+ minute T1...not sure what I did but it was SLOW.  Hopefully, I have learned from my mistakes over the past 2 years.    Fast forward to now and it will be my 11th tri and 4th of this season.  I am very anxious/excited about the race and have set some goals that I would like to achieve (keeping those to myself for now...dont want to jinx it ).  The bike course is longer now so I really can't compare times.

Also, one of the rare times my wife and children will be at a race.  Lets face it..triathlon...particularly anything longer than a sprint is not much of a spectator sport.   

I love actually racing but really don't enjoy the day before.  I get really anxious..butterflys etc..  I played competitive tennis growing up and  in college and would get butterflys but I get fairly consumed with thinking about my race the day before it occurs.  Maybe it will get better the more I do. With tennis there were so many matches you just didn't have time to get nervous before every match.  I can't imagine how I would feel the day before a full IM.  So much training, time and $$ going into one day.  Of course, the butterflys go away once I start and the race just flies by..despite the pain .  Guess the nerves are worth that feeling you have at the finish line???

Randy
2011-06-03 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3530658

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX

Randy, I'll be thinking about you this weekend. Good luck with your secret "goals". I like to keep mine quiet due to the "foo foo" jinx, so I understand.  Glad to know you'll have some family support. That always makes it more fun!

I can't even start talking about nerves, I'd get too nervous!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56