BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-06-03 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3531542

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
If you are going to be aiming towards 1/2s and fulls I would go tri bike.  I'm sure others would habe opinions too.

2011-06-03 3:28 PM

User image

Master
If you are going to be aiming towards 1/2s and fulls I would go tri bike.  I'm sure others would habe opinions too.
2011-06-03 3:28 PM

User image

Master
2011-06-03 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Master
sorry for the triple post
2011-06-03 3:55 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
I agree with Mitch, tri bike if that is your idea...
2011-06-03 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Jen and Jackie, a lot of great feedback already to guide your next bike purchase, and in the US you have so many options and good deals available :-) I finally bit the bullet 3 months ago, after doing my first 2 sprint Tris in my 13 yr old Fuji rd bike, and went for a carbon frame road bike (a Scott CR-1 Elite) which I'm really enjoying. I decided not to go with a Tri bike yet because down here in Guatemala they are not allowed for Sprint and Oly distance races (not sure about the US?). I did get some short Profile aero bars and am slowly getting used to riding in them.Jackie, congrats on your new job and hope you will now get more quality time for Tri training!

2011-06-03 4:02 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: Training Before Race

I want to play on the forum too!  It's too darn hot to run right now.  I can't acclimate until I get to Austin with a sauna.

So, what should I do between now and race day next Saturday?  I did bike intervals on Wed night and took yesterday off for graduation.  I was planning to do hill intervals tonight, since the track is too far away and then swim.  Or I could swim first and then do hill intervals.  Or, I could just get up tomorrow and do a practice tri in my neighborhood.  Or whatever else the mentor says. . .

Suggestions?

2011-06-03 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Sorry for those typos! Smile
2011-06-03 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Thank you for the feed back, and yes, longer distance races will be my goal.  However, I will be in Colorado for my training the next 4 years.  I am so torn.  Financially there seems to be a huge difference between a road and tri bike.  And like I stated before at best for 14 miles has been 15-16mph.  At that speed and ability I'm not sure I will truly get the benefit of a tri bike.  Part of me has locked down on getting a road bike...WITH AERO BARS.  but I guess part of me wants the tri bike..  I don't plan on backing down anytime soon..  If you all knew what it took to get me to this point and what I went through to get to where I am, you would understand.    

On another note, I've been following everyones training and getting great information off of what you all are doing.  After my race next week, I will continue to train but not for any races.  I will have to go through the altitude acclimation first before I can set my sites on another race.  

Thank you for conitnued pros and cons of the road vs tri bike purchase. I need it

2011-06-03 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3531715

User image

Expert
jenputnam - 2011-06-03 5:44 PM

Thank you for the feed back, and yes, longer distance races will be my goal.  However, I will be in Colorado for my training the next 4 years.  I am so torn.  Financially there seems to be a huge difference between a road and tri bike.  And like I stated before at best for 14 miles has been 15-16mph.  At that speed and ability I'm not sure I will truly get the benefit of a tri bike.  Part of me has locked down on getting a road bike...WITH AERO BARS.  but I guess part of me wants the tri bike..  I don't plan on backing down anytime soon..  If you all knew what it took to get me to this point and what I went through to get to where I am, you would understand.    

On another note, I've been following everyones training and getting great information off of what you all are doing.  After my race next week, I will continue to train but not for any races.  I will have to go through the altitude acclimation first before I can set my sites on another race.  

Thank you for conitnued pros and cons of the road vs tri bike purchase. I need it

Jen,

Why are you replacing your road bike again instead of just getting a tri-bike too?  If it were me, I'd probably look around for a used road bike.  It takes a while, but you can find really good deals on them.  I bought my entry-level road bike new and it was about $900.  Two years later, I found one for my riding friend that was a year newer than mine for $400.  Then one of my friends got me into mountain biking and found me a Specialized mountain bike that was sitting in someone's garage not being ridden for $50.

I might buy a used tri-bike if I knew what I was doing.  I'll have to visit some shops and get an education first.  Then, who knows what will happen.

Thanks everyone for the insights on tri-bikes and for the congratulations on the new job.  I'm so excited that I just took a 3-hr nap!  Now it's time to go run.

2011-06-03 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3531715

User image

Master
jenputnam - 2011-06-03 5:44 PM

Research the cervelo s1 soloist - and the special seat stem.  Might hold you over for a few years...2010 was last year they were built but a few new 2010s can still be found.  Consistently voted best frame for the money...recognize a new one is a bit more than you wanted to spend.

2011-06-03 9:59 PM
in reply to: #3531611

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Training Before Race
jdiis - 2011-06-03 4:02 PM

I want to play on the forum too!  It's too darn hot to run right now.  I can't acclimate until I get to Austin with a sauna.

So, what should I do between now and race day next Saturday?  I did bike intervals on Wed night and took yesterday off for graduation.  I was planning to do hill intervals tonight, since the track is too far away and then swim.  Or I could swim first and then do hill intervals.  Or, I could just get up tomorrow and do a practice tri in my neighborhood.  Or whatever else the mentor says. . .

Suggestions?

Stay with short and fast. I like the bike intervals you did, but where's the cadence? call Garmin... Swim long, run track FAST and keep doing bike intervals or hills. Speed is coming!
2011-06-03 10:08 PM
in reply to: #3531981

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Training Before Race
Thanks.  Already called Garmin.  New cadence sensor should be here Mon or Tue.  Riding short and hilly bike intervals tomorrow.
2011-06-04 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3531833

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Jackie

My current bike is 51cm.  I need 49cm womens specific.  My bike is all aluminum and and at least 6-7 years old.  I bought it for $250 in Jan of 2010.  I replaced the seat stem to help with the size and it helped but is a very old Jamis.  I will keep it to ride spinervals though and as a trainer.  

2011-06-04 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3532350

User image

Expert
jenputnam - 2011-06-04 1:06 PM

Jackie

My current bike is 51cm.  I need 49cm womens specific.  My bike is all aluminum and and at least 6-7 years old.  I bought it for $250 in Jan of 2010.  I replaced the seat stem to help with the size and it helped but is a very old Jamis.  I will keep it to ride spinervals though and as a trainer.  

Thanks for the explanation.  Somehow I missed that in the previous posts.  So 1 cm=.394 in.  I think that Trek is even numbers and Specialized is odd.  Looks like Jamis and Cannondale jump around going up by 2-4 cm each time.  Wow, my road bike is 7 years old.  I hadn't ever really thought about that.

How was your long slow run this am?

2011-06-05 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

It's been decided, my next Ironman adventure will be in 2013 and it's gonna be a hilly one. It will either be St George or France. Both courses are stunningly beautiful (France mostly) and they are TERRIBLY hard on the bike. France has a mountain pass and it is part of the Tour de France course (for most years), St George has only one more year of contract but they're very likely to renew.

Ironman France has been voted the most scenic race of all and it is one of the oldest IM races.

Opinions? help me decide...

2011-06-05 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3533091

User image

Expert
evillarroel - 2011-06-05 9:49 AM

It's been decided, my next Ironman adventure will be in 2013 and it's gonna be a hilly one. It will either be St George or France. Both courses are stunningly beautiful (France mostly) and they are TERRIBLY hard on the bike. France has a mountain pass and it is part of the Tour de France course (for most years), St George has only one more year of contract but they're very likely to renew.

Ironman France has been voted the most scenic race of all and it is one of the oldest IM races.

At my level, going out of the state is scary.  But since it's you, I vote for France!

2011-06-05 11:45 AM

User image

Regular
evillarroel - 2011-06-05 10:49 AM

The elevation charts in St. Georges made my heart skip a few beats. 

Getting yourself and the gear across Atlantic will be an additional expense but I bet it will be awesome experience. Go for it big dawg! Wink

2011-06-05 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3531539

User image

Regular
evillarroel - 2011-06-03 4:24 PM

Road bike: good for extremely hilly courses and roadies. To some extent good for winter training and for intervals. Good for peloton training where aerodinamic efficiency is not important because of the slipstream.

Tri bike: distributes the load of the leg muscles MUCH better, aero position makes for minutes faster since the racing format in this country is non drafting. Body position resembles running and utilizes the hamstrings different than the road bike, setting you up for a fast(er) run.

Thats a helpful bit Ernesto. I got a an Orbea roadie last year assuming they are more versatile for training and riding with other folks. So far, I have done only solos and been trying to increase the mileage. Are slap-on aero bars helpful at all? I under tri-bikes have a more aggressive geometry but I see quite a few people with profile bars on their roadies. My training doesn't involve big hills or any drafting. Suggestions?

I did my first half-century yesterday (logs updated). Goal was to be keep consistent and use 180-method as much as possible. I was well-rested, nutritioned (before and during), hydrated etc but it was still a BIG challenge. In summary- first 30miles were effortless, next 10 were moderate effort and quads were feeling the challenge and in 42nd mile quads on both legs cramped! I dropped to smaller cog in front which helped a lot in keeping me moving until the last inclined section. It wasn't a big incline but legs said differently. It was a huge effort on the last 8-9miles and legs were a bit shaky when I reached the parking lot. 30mins later... I was sore but fine otherwise. 

Was this a general fitness issue or I could have done things differently? 

Edited by ironbaby 2011-06-05 12:08 PM
2011-06-05 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

IRONMAN FRANCE.  Oui monsieur. Cool factor:10/10. Opportunity to see another (fantastic) country, great looking girls, learn few words in French, drink some of the best red wines and eat fresh baguettes in the morning (yes, wheat), the list could go on and on... No comparison. Period. Wink

2011-06-05 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3533145

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
jdiis - 2011-06-05 10:43 AM

At my level, going out of the state is scary.  But since it's you, I vote for France!

+1

2011-06-05 4:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
First ride on yesterday averaging 90 rpm! First ride averaging 15mph. I was starting to wonder if either one of those things were going to happen. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90156597

Edited by baurryman 2011-06-05 4:21 PM
2011-06-05 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3533206

User image

Master
Dallas

Thats a helpful bit Ernesto. I got a an Orbea roadie last year assuming they are more versatile for training and riding with other folks. So far, I have done only solos and been trying to increase the mileage. Are slap-on aero bars helpful at all? I under tri-bikes have a more aggressive geometry but I see quite a few people with profile bars on their roadies. My training doesn't involve big hills or any drafting. Suggestions?

I did my first half-century yesterday (logs updated). Goal was to be keep consistent and use 180-method as much as possible. I was well-rested, nutritioned (before and during), hydrated etc but it was still a BIG challenge. In summary- first 30miles were effortless, next 10 were moderate effort and quads were feeling the challenge and in 42nd mile quads on both legs cramped! I dropped to smaller cog in front which helped a lot in keeping me moving until the last inclined section. It wasn't a big incline but legs said differently. It was a huge effort on the last 8-9miles and legs were a bit shaky when I reached the parking lot. 30mins later... I was sore but fine otherwise. 

Was this a general fitness issue or I could have done things differently? 

Ok, to question no. 1 anything that helps you tuck in to a more aerodinamic position will help, clip-on aerobars included. About the second, there's many factors that could have affected, you say nutrition was nailed but did you take any salt pills or electrolytes of any kind? Usually cramping is related to a huge loss of water (with its natural proportion of sodium, magnessium, pottasium and chloride) and replaced only with water or nothing at all.

It could also be a general fitness issue but your HR indicates this is not the case, it is actually a pretty well executed effort.

Was it really hot?

2011-06-05 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3533483

User image

Master
Dallas

baurryman - 2011-06-05 4:17 PM First ride on yesterday averaging 90 rpm! First ride averaging 15mph. I was starting to wonder if either one of those things were going to happen. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90156597

I'm really proud of you Barry, your progress is obvious and most important, you're training very smart. Once you get the cadence developed, strength is the easy part of the equation.

Now you will start to see the BIG progress happen, you've done the hard part already.

Start doing the following workout once a week:

2 1/2 minutes @95 RPM (regardless of speed), 1 1/2 minutes @100 RPM, 1 minute @ 105RPM, 1 minute easy spin and repeat 5 times (total 30 minutes)

The second half of the workout lock your legs in high tension @65 or 70RPM and pedal feeling the muscles engaged for five minutes, then one minute easy spin and repeat five times as well.

Tell me about it later. Forget speeds, execution is what you're looking for. Speed is just a consequence of well done work.

The second or third time you do this workout, you'll see some IMPRESSIVE speeds on the second half of the hour.

2011-06-05 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3533483

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Way to go Barry!!!!!

Jackie- As for my run...It was great!  I wanted to post earlier but we went to San Diego last night.  Scott ran the Rock and Roll marathon this am.  

I wanted to run 10 miles so I headed out early yesterday morning.  The kids told Scott I had been gone over 2 hours so he came looking for me and I stopped at 9.47miles.  There is almost always a cross wind off the water but I had a headwind.  It offered great resistance and kept my pace in check.  I didn't have and knee or arch issues...YAY!  I posted my run in both my log and included my garmin link(below) for my splits.  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90078464

I am resting today (sort of) and I want to run MON.Tue.Wed.Thur.  Taking Friday and SAt off and race Sunday.

Ernesto, what type (distance / pace) should I be looking at this week?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84