BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-01-28 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4015579

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

peterflagg - 2012-01-28 4:55 AM Totally off touch but I have to share this moment with all of you. For all that do not know me, I weighed 304 back in October and was diagnosed with diabetes. Being a nurse I see the horrors of it and I had 2 options. 1) let the disease control me or 2) control the disease as much as possible. I choose to control it, I have lost over 70 lbs so far and yesterday bought my first shirt size large and it fits perfectly. I am so happy about that. Now back to our normal training!

Peter, I totally understand.  My son (and his mom) are obese. He also was born with a congential heart defect and had surgery 15 years ago.  He, like me, was told not to do much after his heart surgery.  Unfortunately his metabolism is not as good as mine was.  I'm hopeing I will inpsire him at some point so he can loose his weight.  GREAT JOB in getting to a size large.

2012-01-28 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

OMG, Shelly, was it you with the green bean-egg torte thing?  I made that this morning...threw in some green onions and mushrooms with the green beans and topped it with some halved cherry tomatos and cubes of avocado...drizzled a bit of balsamic over the whole thing! OMG it was sooooo good!

I am trying to cut out some carbs right now and replace with protein...so instead of a slice of toast I just had two eggs instead of one...I feel like I will be full thru mid-afternoon!

Thanks for the tip!

Oh, and Dave, now I'm afraid to try hot yoga, hahaha...

2012-01-28 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4015400

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
oriolepwr - 2012-01-27 9:45 PM

ALRIGHT Alright!   Settle down people!   lol   we need a comedy break.

This fits the bill on two levels. 

There is an element of frugality, as it is a used item found on Craigslist. 

Its also about Yoga.  

Ok I'll be quiet for a sec.    Check this link out.  You will not regret it.  

Craig's list used Yoga mat!

Classic!!

I laughed out loud at this line(which probably reveals alot about me)

"I consider that if anyone in this room farted that we would all certainly perish."

2012-01-28 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4015522

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
quincyf - 2012-01-28 12:29 AM
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-27 5:25 PM

HI Gang,  I haven't felt well the last few days, and not sleeping well either.  Hence, training suffered.  Great reading all the cost savings.  I'm seriously watching what I spend.  House is in foreclosure and income is way down.  After I bought the new shoes, that will be it for a while.  I'm glad I feel I'm a good swimmer and I'm happy working on my running and cycling.  I've made the decision that I will enter a race close to the last minute because money is so tight and I don't want to risk loosing $$'s if I don't go.  I may enter fewer ones, but my goal is to enter, at the very least, the one that will be 10 miles from home.

Tom

Tom, the good news is, working on the engine is free! I am in the same boat as far as entering races...I can't begin to figure out how my body is going to be acting, so if that means giving up a race that sells out to avoid losing the entry fee, so be it.

Sorry Tom, that really sucks. Good advice above and as others have mentioned probably good for the stress.

2012-01-28 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

Woke up a little bummed this morning that I wasn't racing the brewery run 10 miler. I was really looking forward to this race as it went through my hometown and cause I really like beer, particularly the free variety Cool. It was the right thing to do though, had a great morning with the kids and threw down a 10 bagger in my neighborhood so win/win! I'll down a coupla Bluepoint Ales tonight w/dinner and all will be right with the world! My buddy Bobby(Dream Chaser) smoked the course w/a 1:08 despite fighting a groin injury since the fall. Fast dude.

Whats everybody else got going on this weekend?

2012-01-28 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

peterflagg - 2012-01-28 4:55 AM Totally off touch but I have to share this moment with all of you. For all that do not know me, I weighed 304 back in October and was diagnosed with diabetes. Being a nurse I see the horrors of it and I had 2 options. 1) let the disease control me or 2) control the disease as much as possible. I choose to control it, I have lost over 70 lbs so far and yesterday bought my first shirt size large and it fits perfectly. I am so happy about that. Now back to our normal training!

Doooooood!!!! 70 LBS in 3 months is AWESOME, congrats! Are you feeling the benefits in your training?

2012-01-28 4:33 PM

User image

Sacramento, CA
Back to it!  Went for a run with my sweet 10 year old who wants to do a kids triathlon...nothing like the motivation of youthful exuberence!
2012-01-28 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4016264

User image

Veteran
cherifortin - 2012-01-28 5:33 PMBack to it!  Went for a run with my sweet 10 year old who wants to do a kids triathlon...nothing like the motivation of youthful exuberence!
Ya got that right! My little ones inspired me to tri! They did the Swim for Smiles triathlon last may, the largest youth tri in north America, so much fun!
2012-01-28 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4015169

User image

Expert
Hammond
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-27 5:25 PM

HI Gang,  I haven't felt well the last few days, and not sleeping well either.  Hence, training suffered.  Great reading all the cost savings.  I'm seriously watching what I spend.  House is in foreclosure and income is way down.  After I bought the new shoes, that will be it for a while.  I'm glad I feel I'm a good swimmer and I'm happy working on my running and cycling.  I've made the decision that I will enter a race close to the last minute because money is so tight and I don't want to risk loosing $$'s if I don't go.  I may enter fewer ones, but my goal is to enter, at the very least, the one that will be 10 miles from home.

Tom

Tom

I can't really add anything to whatthe others have said. I just wanted to say that we are all here for you. Finances can be a huge stress but the training certainly helps with that stress. And the great thing about tri training is that running and biking don't cost a whole lot ( at least once you've got the bike). Keep the faith, keep training and believe that things will get better.

Shelly

2012-01-28 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4015400

User image

Expert
Hammond
oriolepwr - 2012-01-27 8:45 PM

ALRIGHT Alright!   Settle down people!   lol   we need a comedy break.

This fits the bill on two levels. 

There is an element of frugality, as it is a used item found on Craigslist. 

Its also about Yoga.  

Ok I'll be quiet for a sec.    Check this link out.  You will not regret it.  

Craig's list used Yoga mat!

LMAO- That was one of the funniest things I've read in a while. Not quite as funny as the bugs in the pool thread though. If you missed that one you've got to search and read it. I think it's my all time BT favorite so far- lol.

Shelly

2012-01-28 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4015940

User image

Expert
Hammond
quincyf - 2012-01-28 11:47 AM

OMG, Shelly, was it you with the green bean-egg torte thing?  I made that this morning...threw in some green onions and mushrooms with the green beans and topped it with some halved cherry tomatos and cubes of avocado...drizzled a bit of balsamic over the whole thing! OMG it was sooooo good!

I am trying to cut out some carbs right now and replace with protein...so instead of a slice of toast I just had two eggs instead of one...I feel like I will be full thru mid-afternoon!

Thanks for the tip!

Yep- that was me and now you've got me wanting to try it your way. It really is a family favorite.

Shelly

2012-01-28 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4016094

User image

Expert
Hammond
Sammeg - 2012-01-28 2:25 PM

Woke up a little bummed this morning that I wasn't racing the brewery run 10 miler. I was really looking forward to this race as it went through my hometown and cause I really like beer, particularly the free variety Cool. It was the right thing to do though, had a great morning with the kids and threw down a 10 bagger in my neighborhood so win/win! I'll down a coupla Bluepoint Ales tonight w/dinner and all will be right with the world! My buddy Bobby(Dream Chaser) smoked the course w/a 1:08 despite fighting a groin injury since the fall. Fast dude.

Whats everybody else got going on this weekend?

Bummer about missing the race but at least you got the run and beer in- lol. Priorities right.

I worked today so no training. I work 12 1/2 hour shifts so I always make  at least one of my work days my rest day. Then I only have one or two other days in that week that I have to pull those hours and train. Today was the SRD.

Going to try and ride my bike tomorrow.

Shelly

2012-01-28 8:09 PM
in reply to: #4016098

Rochester
Sammeg - 2012-01-28 3:28 PM

Doooooood!!!! 70 LBS in 3 months is AWESOME, congrats! Are you feeling the benefits in your training?

Sam, yes and no. About 5 weeks ago I had ankle surgery and cannot run/bike for another week. I have been doing some biking though and I am walking everyother day, about a 5k each time. I do feel more energy and am dying to start running again. I just feel so much better now after  this loss and look forward to more!

2012-01-29 10:01 AM

User image

This is Awesome!

peterflagg - 2012-01-28 3:55 AM Totally off touch but I have to share this moment with all of you. For all that do not know me, I weighed 304 back in October and was diagnosed with diabetes. Being a nurse I see the horrors of it and I had 2 options. 1) let the disease control me or 2) control the disease as much as possible. I choose to control it, I have lost over 70 lbs so far and yesterday bought my first shirt size large and it fits perfectly. I am so happy about that. Now back to our normal training!

2012-01-29 10:17 AM

User image

Good Morning folks!  I know Dave put some info on posting pictures somewhere, but for the life of me I can't seem to find the page.  I did upload a photo I was going to use for my profile to an album, but can't find how to post it as my profile.  What am I missing?  I am looking at doing 2 triathlons prior to the "biggie" Racine 70.3,  Would the recommendation for my first triathlon ever be for a sprint or olympic length?  My first one will be in West Salem (both lengths available) about 5 wks prior to Racine and then I was thinking of doing the one in Pleasant Prairie June 24th (3 wks prior to Racine).  Does this seem to be good spacing? 

Also, I'd just like to say I think Quincy and Dave are doing an awesome job mentoring.  I feel like I'm in good hands.  Thanks everyone for your music suggestions.  I spent sometime this weekend loading a tune from everyone on my MP3 for the inspiration!

2012-01-29 3:38 PM

New user

peterflagg - 2012-01-28 3:55 AM Totally off touch but I have to share this moment with all of you. For all that do not know me, I weighed 304 back in October and was diagnosed with diabetes. Being a nurse I see the horrors of it and I had 2 options. 1) let the disease control me or 2) control the disease as much as possible. I choose to control it, I have lost over 70 lbs so far and yesterday bought my first shirt size large and it fits perfectly. I am so happy about that. Now back to our normal training!

What a fantastic accomplishment!!  Congratulations, Peter!!

2012-01-29 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4016932

New user

trei - 2012-01-29 10:17 AM

Good Morning folks!  I know Dave put some info on posting pictures somewhere, but for the life of me I can't seem to find the page.  I did upload a photo I was going to use for my profile to an album, but can't find how to post it as my profile.  What am I missing?  I am looking at doing 2 triathlons prior to the "biggie" Racine 70.3,  Would the recommendation for my first triathlon ever be for a sprint or olympic length?  My first one will be in West Salem (both lengths available) about 5 wks prior to Racine and then I was thinking of doing the one in Pleasant Prairie June 24th (3 wks prior to Racine).  Does this seem to be good spacing? 

Also, I'd just like to say I think Quincy and Dave are doing an awesome job mentoring.  I feel like I'm in good hands.  Thanks everyone for your music suggestions.  I spent sometime this weekend loading a tune from everyone on my MP3 for the inspiration!

[/QUOTE)

Q and Dave have been amazing as has everyone else.  I have been trying to keep up with all the posts but it's been hard.  The competitive speech season ramps up beginning in January, so scheduling has been super hard as I have to schedule student coaching, grading, online materials updates, program review, etc., etc., etc.,  and my own training!  It all makes me think of the movie Airplane where one character keeps repeating, "I picked the wrong week to quit . . . " (drinking/smoking/sniffing glue/amphetamines).  However, I'm saying, "Looks like I picked the wrong week to start training!"  The saving grace is ALL of you and your inspiring stories, comments, music lists, EVERYTHING!!  So, I'm plugging along.

Dave - I think you posted about not trying to keep up with everything.  I'll try to keep that in mind. 

Q - the photos of your calendar system were amazing!!  Clearly, I need that in my life.  While it's only the DH and me (we don't have kids), it's still pretty hectic when we're both coaching and traveling. This weekend he's in St. Louis while I'm home

Now, I'm off to swim!!

2012-01-29 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4016264

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

cherifortin - 2012-01-28 4:33 PM Back to it!  Went for a run with my sweet 10 year old who wants to do a kids triathlon...nothing like the motivation of youthful exuberence!

Great Cheri, glad to hear from you again! I am going to try to do a 5k with my daughter...she is a bit more reluctant than some kids, but I think if she could finish one, she would be hooked!

2012-01-29 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4016465

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-28 7:57 PM
quincyf - 2012-01-28 11:47 AM

Thanks for the tip!

Yep- that was me and now you've got me wanting to try it your way. It really is a family favorite.

Shelly

Uh, I had it again this morning! I LOVE it!

2012-01-29 6:04 PM
in reply to: #4016932

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Thank you so much for the kind words...

Not sure about west salem as a choice, but the timing is excellent. Have you checked race reports on it? I always kick off with a sprint...almost no recovery cost and excellent transition practice. For your first, honestly I don't see why it HAS to be a sprint if you are bent on an OLY, but it does give you all of the elements of a tri with the least recovery cost...one thing I like about sprints (and olys to a lesser extent) is that you will get religion about transitions really quick...if you're a typical new triathlete, you will look at your times and realize you could have moved up several places just by getting your act together in transition...

I think Dave is doing PP this year and I think my husband will be doing it as well...I have to see if my shoulder is in any condition to swim by then...and if it is I will only attempt the sprint (PP swim was a beyotch...Racine was WAY easier)...

but the Oly is perfect dress rehearsal for Racine...you can practice your pacing and some nutrition, and you'll start feeling some fatigue on the run that you'll have to fight through...

Plus, the PP run course is unshaded which will be good practice for the Racine death march run.  

Does this help? I think you're right where you need to be with your planning. I forgot, are you using a plan? A BT plan? I can't remember...if I get a chance I'll look back...

2012-01-29 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4017310

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
lmo123 - 2012-01-29 4:06 PM

Q and Dave have been amazing as has everyone else.  I have been trying to keep up with all the posts but it's been hard.  The competitive speech season ramps up beginning in January, so scheduling has been super hard as I have to schedule student coaching, grading, online materials updates, program review, etc., etc., etc.,  and my own training!  It all makes me think of the movie Airplane where one character keeps repeating, "I picked the wrong week to quit . . . " (drinking/smoking/sniffing glue/amphetamines).  However, I'm saying, "Looks like I picked the wrong week to start training!"  The saving grace is ALL of you and your inspiring stories, comments, music lists, EVERYTHING!!  So, I'm plugging along.

Dave - I think you posted about not trying to keep up with everything.  I'll try to keep that in mind. 

Q - the photos of your calendar system were amazing!!  Clearly, I need that in my life.  While it's only the DH and me (we don't have kids), it's still pretty hectic when we're both coaching and traveling. This weekend he's in St. Louis while I'm home

Now, I'm off to swim!!

+5 points for Movie Quoting!!!!! Airplane is one of my favorites (possibly because I am a pilot and can I tell you some of the aviation jokes are a little close for comfort) Roger roger, over under, get me a clearance clarence, what's your vector victor...kills me every time.

Other awesome movies for quotes:

Sixteen Candles, "yes, he's wearing red sweater, tan pants, and argyle socks. NO, he's not retarded!" "No more yankie my wankie, Donger need food."

Blues Brothers, "Gotta go see the Penguin!" "we're on a mission from God."  "It saddens and hurts me to think that the two boys I raised to believe in The Ten Commandments have returned to me as thieves, with filthy mouths and bad attitudes!" Basically the whole movie is quotable.

Same with Monty Python's "Holy Grail" "How do you know he's the king? He hasn't got sh** all over him." What's the airspeed of an unladen swallow? African or European? (about Camelot) "On second thought, let's not go there, it's a silly place." Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

Top Gun (your ego's writing checks your body can't cash), Goodfellas (funny, how? funny like a clown), Caddyshack (be the ball Danny!), Office Space (I was told I could play my radio at a reasonable level, someone's got a case of the mondays), Anchorman, Happy Gilmore, Blazing Saddles, The Big Lebowski, Animal House, Dumb and Dumber, The Jerk, Old School, Pulp Fiction, Fletch, Casablanca...heck I even have one from the Amazon Queen I love (I now pronounce you man and wife, now proceed with the execution!"

What are your favorite movies? Favorite Quotes?

Sorry I went a little overboard here...apparently I DID pick the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!

Edited by quincyf 2012-01-29 7:02 PM

2012-01-29 7:09 PM

Rochester

Favorite movie quotes...there are a ton, however two favorite scenes stand out in my formative years. I think I was 10-12 years old and saw the movie Airplane. Well, loved the movie, still due so I kind of question any type of maturity people think I have, but there was the scene of the stewardess blowing up the doll and then the favorrite part, when mass hysteria there was a pair of large breasts that were bouncing around. I remember recording the movie and watching that A LOT!!! Sorry ladies.

The other movie would have to be Animal House. Once again the sex overtones in that movie. Ah, the joys of being a kid back then. Kids have it so much easier nowadays!

2012-01-29 7:57 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Yeaow!!!!   been celebrating my birthday (shameless plug there)  this weekend!      Oh my girls and DW have been spoiling me!    I did manage to get my 1st annual birthday half mary  in earlier today before hitting Fatman's for din din tonight!       Last night Eileen and I had a wonderful dinner/drinks just the two of us.   Had a great time.          Oh if you are wondering  I think I'm 28 now.     Ok not really  but I do feel like I'm 28!!    ok 32 

2012-01-29 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4017567

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
peterflagg - 2012-01-29 7:09 PM

Favorite movie quotes...there are a ton, however two favorite scenes stand out in my formative years. I think I was 10-12 years old and saw the movie Airplane. Well, loved the movie, still due so I kind of question any type of maturity people think I have, but there was the scene of the stewardess blowing up the doll and then the favorrite part, when mass hysteria there was a pair of large breasts that were bouncing around. I remember recording the movie and watching that A LOT!!! Sorry ladies.

The other movie would have to be Animal House. Once again the sex overtones in that movie. Ah, the joys of being a kid back then. Kids have it so much easier nowadays!

Any good movie has naughty overtones (IMO)...I am thinking the austin powers fruit covering body parts bit...and I remember the boobs on airplane...and I'm not even a guy, hahahahaha!

2012-01-29 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4017630

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-01-29 7:57 PM

Yeaow!!!!   been celebrating my birthday (shameless plug there)  this weekend!      Oh my girls and DW have been spoiling me!    I did manage to get my 1st annual birthday half mary  in earlier today before hitting Fatman's for din din tonight!       Last night Eileen and I had a wonderful dinner/drinks just the two of us.   Had a great time.          Oh if you are wondering  I think I'm 28 now.     Ok not really  but I do feel like I'm 28!!    ok 32 

You don't look a day over 25! Happy happy my friend...hi to Eileen and the girls...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44