General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-11-04 3:20 PM
in reply to: Tryrn

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona : Official Thread
I've never heard more about a 14-day weather forecast between here and the IMAZ Facebook page. Sheesh

2013-11-04 8:12 PM
in reply to: jls42

User image

New user

jis42,

This is Mikeylee's wife. We did not see your post until now. We appreciate your prayers, and if you see Mike out there (he will be wearing the cap with Doug's name on the back) feel free to give him a pat on the shoulder and encourage him to keep going! Thanks again, and we hope to see you somewhere along the way on the 17th.
2013-11-04 8:55 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Everyone - weather forecasts this far in advance are a total crapshoot. That being said, if you are traveling in for the race, it would be smart (even w/o a forecast) to pack some rain and cold weather gear. But at this point I would not panic about the weather - soooooo much can change in the period or 2 weeks. Just chill (pun intended).
2013-11-05 6:00 AM
in reply to: 101abp40

User image

2013-11-05 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by Tryrn http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/phoenix-az/85003/daily-weather-for... There ya go... looking better??

LOL.  What about the wind??  4 mph with gusts to 12 mph.  The last few months here in Iowa make those numbers seem like a beautiful day in the park.

I will be ready for anything from 55 degrees in wind and rain up to 90 degrees in blazing heat.  No different then living in the Midwest every day of my life.

Holy Sh it!!!  12 days..

2013-11-05 8:47 AM

User image

Originally posted by Tryrn

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/phoenix-az/85003/daily-weather-for... There ya go... looking better??

I'll take that one. Lock it in!

2013-11-05 9:40 AM
in reply to: 101abp40

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by 101abp40

Everyone - weather forecasts this far in advance are a total crapshoot. That being said, if you are traveling in for the race, it would be smart (even w/o a forecast) to pack some rain and cold weather gear. But at this point I would not panic about the weather - soooooo much can change in the period or 2 weeks. Just chill (pun intended).

Agreed. Everyones perceptions are different, but I feel like AZ rarely has days full of awful weather. Sure, we have elements and it can get bad, but it's usually for short bouts of time. IMAZ 2011 is a good example of "bad" AZ weather - there was some wind and rain (amongst other things), but it cleared up and was sunny for most the day.
2013-11-05 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
The worse the weather is, the better I do in comparison to the field. Either I'm more mentally tough, don't slow down as much, or just crazy.

That being said I am not fast, and I won't be contending for any type of awards other than the finisher medal, so I'm hoping for good weather. I'm sure it will be.
2013-11-05 10:26 AM
in reply to: cstoulil

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

If we have bad weather then I will have a major challenge on my hands.  I will refer to that challenge as the "I got to deal with 3 naughty kids, by myself, for hours and hours and hours and weeks and months, only to find out that when it's time to watch my idioit husband do this race that I will be standing in the cold, rain, and wind" arguement presented by my wife. 

"Please God......  send sunshine and warmth for the benefit of my wife who is more happy about taper than me.  Oh, and if I could ask for a calm lightly breezy day, that would be great too."  -  Matt

2013-11-05 10:50 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

If we have bad weather then I will have a major challenge on my hands.  I will refer to that challenge as the "I got to deal with 3 naughty kids, by myself, for hours and hours and hours and weeks and months, only to find out that when it's time to watch my idioit husband do this race that I will be standing in the cold, rain, and wind" arguement presented by my wife. 

"Please God......  send sunshine and warmth for the benefit of my wife who is more happy about taper than me.  Oh, and if I could ask for a calm lightly breezy day, that would be great too."  -  Matt

Actually that may be the same thing I hear. My kids are 4,2, and 7 months.

I may have mentioned it somewhere here before, but if they get bored there is actually a park for the kids to play at right on the run course. It is on the corner of E College, and Curry rd. My family was there last year, I missed them on the first and second time by, then saw them on the last time by.

If they hang out there, they may or may not see your finish. I'm slow so they would have seen me finish last year, but then the kids feel asleep on the ride over so they didn't.

I didn't blame her for not dragging them out lol.
2013-11-07 10:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
I read somewhere that Gu Roctane was NOT provided on-course at IMFL last weekend. They claimed "supply & demand" issues which resulted in only regular Gu being offered on-course. I'm assuming this will unfortunately be the case at IMAZ as well... Not the end of the world but I was planning on living off the course provided Roctane so it kinda sucks.

Pretty quiet around here which is hopefully a good sign. For what it's worth, the weather has been perfect out here and the 10-day forecast looks great. Fingers crossed...

Edited by devilfan02 2013-11-07 10:59 AM

2013-11-07 4:08 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Interesting article on the future of IMAZ and the finances behind it -

http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/20131106city-vote...

I would bet top dollar it stays in Tempe. If so, it looks like the race will be renamed Ironman Tempe.

Also, pretty wild that the city of Tempe pays IM $100,000 per year for the right to hold the race there. I get it but it's still crazy how much pull the IM brand has. Any other race is paying the city for the right to use their land/streets.

Edited by devilfan02 2013-11-07 4:09 PM
2013-11-07 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4509327

User image

New user
Thanks for sharing, seems like a no-brainer if those revenue projections are accurate. Have my fingers crossed for good weather too! Quick question for IMAZ veterans, do you need to pack a light for the run after it gets dark? Or is it unnecessary?
2013-11-07 9:22 PM
in reply to: TriManGA

User image

u dont need a light... the path is light up and there is very little street running and what is is safe.
2013-11-08 7:53 AM

User image

http://wx.tempe.gov/townlake.aspx

water temp holding solid at 65 thats warm for this race if it stays the same
2013-11-08 8:01 AM

User image

Expert

My kids always do a "snow day" ritual ... flushing icecubes down the toilet the night before a possible snow day. I wonder if there is a special ritual we can do to keep the water a "warm" 65???

2013-11-08 8:07 AM
in reply to: TrishM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
Maybe if everyone pees a whole lot in the Tempe Town Lake water during the Saturday practice swim the water temp will go up a degree or two! Everyone, drink extra coffee before the swim!
2013-11-08 8:13 AM
in reply to: Mikeylee

User image

Veteran
Denver
Originally posted by Mikeylee

Maybe if everyone pees a whole lot in the Tempe Town Lake water during the Saturday practice swim the water temp will go up a degree or two! Everyone, drink extra coffee before the swim!

You beat me to it!! I was going to suggest the same thing!!!
2013-11-08 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Originally posted by devilfan02

I read somewhere that Gu Roctane was NOT provided on-course at IMFL last weekend. They claimed "supply & demand" issues which resulted in only regular Gu being offered on-course. I'm assuming this will unfortunately be the case at IMAZ as well... Not the end of the world but I was planning on living off the course provided Roctane so it kinda sucks.

Pretty quiet around here which is hopefully a good sign. For what it's worth, the weather has been perfect out here and the 10-day forecast looks great. Fingers crossed...

GU was out of Roctane for a few weeks......every single flavor. I don't understand how that happened!! They have three Roctane flavors back in stock. I sent them a message, asking about Roctane on course at IMAZ. I'm still waiting to hear back. Hopefully I'll hear back today. I was going to live off the course provided Roctane for the run.
2013-11-08 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
double post. whoops

Edited by Dino019 2013-11-08 8:17 AM
2013-11-08 9:42 AM
in reply to: Dino019

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by Dino019

GU was out of Roctane for a few weeks......every single flavor. I don't understand how that happened!! They have three Roctane flavors back in stock. I sent them a message, asking about Roctane on course at IMAZ. I'm still waiting to hear back. Hopefully I'll hear back today. I was going to live off the course provided Roctane for the run.

I was planning on living off the course provided Roctane as well. So strange that they're out of stock... You have to wonder what's really going on?

2013-11-08 9:45 AM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ

Fingers crossed but I bet it stays around 65 by 11/17. The projected highs through next Friday are mid-to-low 80's with lows in the mid-to-low 50's. Seems like too much warm weather to cool the water temps all that much. We shall see.... Either way, it's shaping up to be a great race week weather wise.
2013-11-08 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

Fingers crossed but I bet it stays around 65 by 11/17. The projected highs through next Friday are mid-to-low 80's with lows in the mid-to-low 50's. Seems like too much warm weather to cool the water temps all that much. We shall see.... Either way, it's shaping up to be a great race week weather wise.

This is close to weather patterns last year, and the water temps droped to the lower 60's by race morning. Don't plan on it staying mid 60's into next weekend.
2013-11-09 10:04 AM

User image

New user

Subject: What to have for IMAZ on raceday. Did I leave anything out?
I'm ready as far as training goes for next week, but I have not done a 140.6 yet. I did a 70.3 last year, and was OK except that I could have used a little more sodium that day, but I finished OK & under my target time. I couldn't have been happier.
What do I need for raceday?
I'm planning on using my wetsuit with a jammer under it, then changing into regular cycling bibs & a jersey, then running shorts and a tank for the run.
No trisuit for me, I want the comfort.
I'm settled on nutrition, I've trained with Cliff Bloks, Fig Newtons, gels, bananas & my wife's banana bread, so that's what I'm going with on the 17th.
I'll probably bring a wind vest & sunsleeves for the bike, in case it's too cool in the AM.
Two tubes, CO2, a tire boot, pump, multi-tool etc. for the bike (should I bring an extra tire?)
Tegaderm for the nipples & any other area that could get chafed, Bodyglide, sunscreen, lip balm, ibuprophen (if necessary I'll go easy on it).
My Garmin 910xt, mostly to monitor HR & pace myself on the run.
And I'll have sunglasses.

I have no idea what to put in the special needs bags, other than some extra food, a pair of socks, maybe a shirt.

What else?

Thanks,

I can't wait until that gun goes off at 7:00 on Sunday. I'm going to soak in & enjoy every minute of the day, regardless of my time.

Edited by GDTRFB 2013-11-09 10:04 AM
2013-11-09 8:46 PM
in reply to: GDTRFB

User image

Subject: RE: What to have for IMAZ on raceday. Did I leave anything out?
sounds like you have it all wrapped up.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 30