BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-02-05 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.

Hey all!  Wow, busy group!

Mitch, great to see you!  Persevering through injuries as you have is so difficult.  An experiment of one...just continuing to seek out what will make it better.  That kind of determination is inspiring.  Looking forward to seeing you sign up for that race when the time is right.

Pam, love your waterbug description! And shuddered a bit when you mentioned the fist drill (not my favorite!).  So hard to know what to do on the swims. I really enjoyed the pool school where our coach would just tell us what was next.

Mike, kitchen remodel + hungry all the time.  Don't let the golden arches suck you in!

Jay, you got some speed in you.  Very nice 8 @ 8:32!  On the bike fit, does the shop possibly have more than one type of fit?  The shop where I had mine done offered Retul, but I opted for the low tech version which was much cheaper. 

Steve, thanks for the input on the taper schedule.  Did one more set of 6 X 800 this morning and came out well, but warmed up for 2 miles first to make sure I felt recovered enuf to do them.  Will shift the remaining "speed" days to tempo.  Sounds like you may have found a good training/rehab option w/ the water running, but only if the "too much too soon" bug can be kept at bay.  No doubt bigger numbers to come for you, and look forward to seeing your return.

Fred, nice mix on your numbers for the month!  Stop in when you can, but no guilt when life is in your face.

Kate, I hear you on the end of longer runs.  I know exactly what you mean about just wanting to bag the whole thing when the pace or whatever is not as planned.  I have a terrible tendency to do that, not just in training, but in races.  You know...turning a needed stop or walk into something longer than it really needs to be and then "oh, what the heck...it's a nice day out...why push it?".  So lately, I've been really trying to focus mentally on being more determined and resilient within each run because...well, thats the way I want to be come race day.

Cheryl, you do the most fun races!  Does part of the Kentucky Derby Marathon take place on the track?  Do you have a goal time you're aiming for?

John, sorry the cold bug has gripped your household!  Hopefully you are all on the mend.

Stu, if you don't mind me asking, what back exercises do you do?  I'm a bit concerned about overbalancing the abs and not doing anything for the back.  Was doing some supermans and deadlifts with light weights earlier on, but have let them fall by the wayside, and now my back is really tightening up on runs.

Samantha, how is your build cycle going this week?

2013-02-05 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Thanks for the positive reinforcement guys and gals.  I run with people who run 1:30 half marys so its nice to feel like I'm not a tortoise!  Mike, I'd take your 1:30/100 swims any day of the week over my running lol!

I went back and did some strength training and swam for about 600 yards.  Not surprisingly, my effort wasn't what I'd consider stellar.....but I got it done.  I went 600 because week 4 starts with a 600y consecutive followed by a 300y consecutive so if I can do the 600 after an 8 miler, I should be good to do it fresh!

Steve, I'm trying to go deep into my Don Fink memory banks to figure out z1, z2, z3....I think its a HR rate percentage.  I'd agree with your assessment that I worked hard to get my pace...but that's okay.  I know for the HIM, I should be able to stay at 10/mile pace fairly easily.

Carol: I think my LBS is trying to recoup some of the money he spent getting trained to fit.  I know he went out to Cailifornia for a few weeks.  I did ask the owner about it and he wasn't exactly thrilled at my inquiry so I just let it go.  However, he may have helped me figure out my problem.  My bike has an XLAB on the back of my saddle and it really bothers me when I ride....so I think I'm going to take it off.  I'm hoping that I maybe adjusting because it is there.  Here's a sample pic of it below

Karin-Thurig

2013-02-05 2:28 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

The $120 sounds about right, tire true $20, chain $50, overall tunup $60 (new cablesx4  ($20) adjustment/laber ($40).  I would think the fit would be closer to $100. 

Jay is that a picture of you on your bike..... the fit looks pretty good....

Edited by Baowolf 2013-02-05 2:29 PM
2013-02-05 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
No Steve , I posted the pic so everyone could get a visual of the XLAB I was talking about.  Look at the back of the seat...that water holder is what maybe causing me problems.
2013-02-06 12:18 AM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

January Totals:

Bike: 10hr 49min - 173 Mi

Run: 13hr 33 min - 83 Mi

Swim: 1hr 35 - 5200 Yd

and a little motocross for 1 hr 45min!

Way behind where I wanted to be but overall better than I have ever done in the past. Can you guess my least favorite? Swam tonight, felt good but will pick it up 2x per week from now on out. Been busy with work, cold, kids, normal life stuff so haven't posted but do "lurk" Smile

Pam - Congrats that is amazing!

Looks like Kate crushed everyone in January - NICE JOB! Stay confident you will get it done with those numbers. 

2013-02-06 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Jay -- the swim is only a small part of the race, so your running  >>>> than my swimming! Also, is the XLAB the one for a Cervelo? If so, and you are interested in getting rid of it, let me know.

Today was one of those days I was glad to get out of bed. It was snowing, cold, I was tired, roads were a mess, but I went to my swim class. Did just 2300 yards but they were tough, but I felt great after (although I'm a bit sore right now). Really pushed it, and with a main set of 300 repeats, it was great to get it in. Managed to negative split my last one by 10 seconds over the prior one, but I was spent. Tonight, on the bike. Feeling like I'm back on track. Love it!

2013-02-06 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4610702

User image

Expert
Mike_D - 2013-02-06 8:39 AM

Jay -- the swim is only a small part of the race, so your running  >>>> than my swimming! Also, is the XLAB the one for a Cervelo? If so, and you are interested in getting rid of it, let me know.

Today was one of those days I was glad to get out of bed. It was snowing, cold, I was tired, roads were a mess, but I went to my swim class. Did just 2300 yards but they were tough, but I felt great after (although I'm a bit sore right now). Really pushed it, and with a main set of 300 repeats, it was great to get it in. Managed to negative split my last one by 10 seconds over the prior one, but I was spent. Tonight, on the bike. Feeling like I'm back on track. Love it!

Way to go Mike!!!

2013-02-06 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Brian, nice numbers for January.  I saw a quote recently that referred to wellness/fitness is a dynamic state.  Simple, but true.  Sure is nice when the changes that are taking place are in a positive direction.  Way to go!

Jay, sounds like your bike shop owner is doing all he can to be on the cutting edge, so can understand him wanting to sell what he is trained to do.  Hopefully removing the x-lab is a simple and inexpensive fix.

Mike, way to push yourself out the door and into the pool!

A quick 5 miler this morning, then walked Katy the dog to the park.  Ran into our children's leader from church there.  She was participating in a "Camp Gladiator" boot camp.  Her sister, who I used to pet sit for, is the trainer.  Anyway, she is really jazzed about it, encouraging me to join, etc.  Probably would be good to mix things up a bit and have the social component, but now is not the time.  Ha, I could almost feel things being pulled and strained just thinking about it!

2013-02-06 11:17 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
So who has the next race? I am 55 days away!
2013-02-07 4:04 AM
in reply to: #4612166

User image

Expert

BMiller71 - 2013-02-07 12:17 AM So who has the next race? I am 55 days away!

44 for me. HITS Ocala 70.3.

2013-02-07 6:40 AM
in reply to: #4612235

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
KateTri1 - 2013-02-07 4:04 AM

38 for me.  Tobacco Road Marathon.  

2013-02-07 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
128 for me   Patriot Half Distance tri on 6/15

Blizzard heading our way tomorrow into Saturday. Up to 2 FEET of snow expected. (a big yawn from Steve on that one, no?)  Looks like some serious trainer time and a snowy run or two coming up! Time to try out the new YakTrax someone gave me for my birthday.
2013-02-07 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4609684

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
squirt - 2013-02-05 2:15 PM

Stu, if you don't mind me asking, what back exercises do you do?  I'm a bit concerned about overbalancing the abs and not doing anything for the back.  Was doing some supermans and deadlifts with light weights earlier on, but have let them fall by the wayside, and now my back is really tightening up on runs.

Carol - My issues are with lower back.  I do a combination of stretches and simple exercises.  Supermans (or something fairly similar), cobra, child and pigeon yoga positions, planks, bridges, something where I push my lower back to the floor (no idea what it is called) and then a few stretches that just help loosen things up from a side to side perspective (again, bad with names, sorry).  I could probably stand to spend a little more time on all of them, but always a bit pressed for time.  I'll throw in two other considerations that I know affect me - 1) I spend most of my day (and nights often) in a chair of some type hunched over a computer, so office ergonomics are pretty important and I don't do so well at that especially when I am really focused on a project.  Also, my wife's car seat doesn't agree with me.  So, when I'm vigilant, improving my ergonomic choices during the day seems to help.  I like to try to do a mid-day/afternoon workout to break things up.  2) I also have a bad tendency when I'm running tired to lean over a bit at the waist instead of leaning with my whole body.  I still haven't been able to make it through anything over sprint distance without serious lower back pain on the run.  Very frustrating.  Anyway, back is definitely better when I take the time to do the exercises regularly.  Need to keep it up!

Yesterday I shared a lane with a woman who had an amazing swimming stroke.  Wow was she fast in the water.  And it looked effortless.  Just blew by me again and again.  When I was done I just watched her technique for a few laps - that great combination of fast turnover (that kind of looks slow because it is so smooth) and really good technique - especially the kick.  I need to try to get in the pool a 3rd time each week, even if for a short, technique-focused workout.  The strength and endurance is coming back, but I know I'm leaving alot of time in the pool due to less than stellar technique.

Have a great day everyone!

Stu

2013-02-07 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4612305

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
kmatt318 - 2013-02-07 6:40 AM
KateTri1 - 2013-02-07 4:04 AM

38 for me.  Tobacco Road Marathon.  

17 for me...Cowtown Marathon.

2013-02-07 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Thanks for the suggestions re: the back exercises, Stu.  I think a little goes a long way, it's just a matter of spending the time as you pointed out.  The office ergonomics check is spot on as well.  For a while I was using one of those big inflatable balls as my "chair", which encourages a bit of engagement of the core.  Need to give that another whirl.  I work from home most of the time, so can look as weird as I want while working .

Mike, hope the blizzard doesn't leave you housebound for too long!

Off to...you guessed it...run.  Hubby asked me to nag encourage him to exercise this evening, so might even hop on the trainer later on.

2013-02-07 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Carol, My PT has me doing a lot of balancing exercises on the Bozu Ball (that half ball thingy).  1 leg extensions are the best!  Makes you engage your core and strengthen your back.  Also lots of planking stuff.  1 leg out.  Opposite leg and arm extended.  Side planks with an up and down motion....

I did a 1 mile run/walk today before PT.  Things are feeling pretty good!  Winter cycling program day 13 this eve!

2013-02-08 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Today is a recovery day.  Only doing the Crunch Challenge.  Long run tomorrow and recovery ride Sunday.  Love it.  
2013-02-08 8:30 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Thanks Mitch!  I think one of those Bosu balls would be a good purchase.  Like them for flipping over to do pushups.  The new park exercise area includes a wobble board type thing, but I haven't been brave enough to get on it....VERY wobbly.  The balance stuff is really helpful w/ the hip area too.

Ken, nice to hear from you, and glad you are enjoying training and crunch challenge!

Mike, how's the snow storm shaping up?

Rest day today, and then a busy weekend...step-father's 70th birthday on Sunday, and retirement party for one of our friends on Saturday.  31 years as a police officer with 25 of it on a motorcycle.  Now THAT's a marathon!  Quite happy that long run is only 12 miles tomorrow morning.

What does everyone have on tap for the weekend?

2013-02-08 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Came across this quote yesterday, and felt that the last part applied each of you in this group. I especially thought of it in regards to Steve.  Thanks for encouraging us to go beyond what we previously thought possible, and helping us figure out how to make the most out of the journey:

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great people make you feel that you, too, can become great.” — Mark Twain.

2013-02-08 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Snow is already coming down fast, and I'm bailing out on work in about 20 minutes.  Its perfect bike trainer weather. Had thought about a quick run today when I get home, but looking at how its coming down now, not a chance of getting on the road. SUnday is next run day. Today & Tomorrow are bike time.

2013-02-08 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Carol - Love the quote.  Rings so true!

Ken - enjoy that recovery day

Stu - I hear you about those smooth swimmers.  I was doing masters classes at a local college and there was a girl who was an Olympic trialist in the pool.  My coach had me watch her and I was just amazed.  She was sooo fast but looked so smooth and effortless... 

I read something that states if you give 100% more effort on the run you get 100% back, 100%on the bike and you get 60% back and in the swim 100% effort only gives you 20%.  It's all about technique in the water...

I did 1.5 miles on the treadmill today.  first half mile was walking and drills, then I did my first mile run in a loooong time!  Felt pretty good,  I then  came home and did my Day 13 of the winter cycling program. 

Couldn't do it last night my pregnant wife and 3 year old just haven't been sleeping, so no sleep for daddy.  2 hours the other night total so I pulled out after an hour last night.

Feels good to be training again!

Mitch

2013-02-08 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4614098

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
squirt - 2013-02-08 9:38 AM

Came across this quote yesterday, and felt that the last part applied each of you in this group. I especially thought of it in regards to Steve.  Thanks for encouraging us to go beyond what we previously thought possible, and helping us figure out how to make the most out of the journey:

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great people make you feel that you, too, can become great.” — Mark Twain.

Love the quote and it's so true.  Small people want small people around them and great people encourage others.  This group is awesome!

My whole family has been out of it this week.  We have all been sick with a silly, stupid cold.  Gosh, I hope I can do something tomorrow.

Stu and Carol, you are talking about back issues.  I have a constant stitch in my right middle back.  Named him bob.  I try to ditch bob in two ways.  One is the "Do Nothing Stretch" where I lie on my back and try to elongate my back by stretching my arms over my head and my feet as much as they can stretch.  20 to 30 seconds, relax, and do again.  Helps.  The other thing my son suggested.  We have a bar that is located in a doorjam where they do their pullups.  Son suggested that I hang from the bar and wow, it really helps stretch out the back.  Another option is to stand about 1 foot from the bar, grab the bar, and then lean in and let my back form a C.  This may not help your backs but wanted to mention in case your issues were from back compression.

2013-02-09 3:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Big day for me.  Have been so sick the last 3 days and barely did anything.  Today, I hit the bike trainer first thing, then ate b'fast, hit the trainer again, and then went for a re-fit on my bike.  I had them take off the baby pedals and put my clipless pedals back on!!!!  Why did I put that with exclamation points because TBH, scares the phootey out of me riding in clipless.  But I've got to get over it.  Came back home and went for over a couple of miles on the road with the clipless.  Then on toasted legs went out for an 30 min run/walk.  Capped it off with planks and crunches.

I vow that next week I'm going to attempt at least 30 min a day on the bike.  Son's ball games start next week so I'm going to try to get up early on those days and hit the trainer before work.

Can't wait to hear what everyone else is doing this weekend.  I know that most of ya'll train hard on the weekend and then report in on Monday.  Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  For those of you up north, will be praying for you all with that storm. 

2013-02-09 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Hello all.  Everyone on up North is making out ok in the snow.  Glad I live in the South, lol. 

Today went for a 20 mile run.  It was great.  I have switch back to GUs for nutrition. Today, I took one before I started and then every 5 miles after.  All worked pretty good except I didn't carry water.  I was able to maintain pace and cadence throughout.  My course had a hill/climb at the start and then again at the end.  I still had energy so I am happy. Next week is a recovery week. Tomorrow I am scheduled for a 35 mile ride but I have a friend with a Go Pro video camera whose going to ride out marathon course and I am going to ride with him.  I may try to add some miles at the end just to get the correct distance.  We will see.  

2013-02-09 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Went out for my longest run of 2013 today - a mere 9 miles, but felt pretty good despite fighting a minor cold for the last few days.  We'll see how the foot feels tomorrow.  It's held up well so far this week, so keeping my fingers crossed.  Couldn't help but think about Mike (and many other friends) up in New England battling the blizzard.  Seen some amazing pictures from friends' backyards.  Gonna be awhile before things are back to normal up there.  Hope you're making out okay, Mike.  40ish degrees here and sunny - other than the wind, perfect weather for a run.  Nice not to be on the treadmill.

Pam, thanks for the additional back thoughts.  Betty (might as well name mine too) is on my lower left side.  I do a bit of the attempting to make a 'C', but I'd say mine looks more like an 'I' than a C ;-)  I do something similar to your bar hang when I do the lat machine weights - just let it kind of pull up my back and also twist a bit side to side - feels so good!

Mitch - good description on the the swim vs. run regarding technique.  Glad you're getting back into the routine.  Not sure how you folks with young families manage to juggle it all!

Yesterday was sharing the lane with a guy doing butterfly.  That is a stroke I never did figure out!  Fortunately he was paying attention to where I was in the lane - don't want to lock arms with a butterflier - ouch!

Happy training!

Stu

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52