BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-29 9:37 PM
in reply to: leechj

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
There will be a sign as you near the aid station that says, "drop bottles here." As you leave the aid station there will be another sign that says, "last spot for bottle drop" or something to that effect.

Friends can track you at

www.ironmanlive.com

2013-05-29 10:04 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Expert

Good luck and I look forward to tracking you this weekend in between rounds at the hospital. Very sound advice given. Some little extras that help me include:

1) Hydration cannot be emphasized enough. One thing I'd be careful about is when drenching yourself with water, make sure you keep your feet dry. I've managed to have to run in wet socks multiple times, and it can lead to early blisters as your feet slide around in your shoes.

2) I always make sure I have an extra bottle of fluid on the bike because if it is very hot, the Aid stations can seem extremely far away from one another. It is not uncommon in the intensity of the event to accidentally drop a bottle of fluid, or have one launched if you hit a pot hole. The extra weight of one bottle of insurance is worth it to me in endurance events. Once one becomes dehydrated, it becomes very difficult to come back.

3) Are you going to pee on the bike? (had to ask) I often do in IM events and not just because of the time saving factor. After a long swim, then long bike in hot weather you may find that stopping to pee can lead to miserable leg cramps which really suck.

4) You will more than likely see people drafting. I TRY to not let it irritate me and I focus on racing my own race.

5) Have a blast!!!!!!!

Good luck to you all and thanks for sharing your names/numbers!!! I'm excited for you! Jim
2013-05-30 7:01 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by jimmyb

Good luck and I look forward to tracking you this weekend in between rounds at the hospital. Very sound advice given. Some little extras that help me include:

1) Hydration cannot be emphasized enough. One thing I'd be careful about is when drenching yourself with water, make sure you keep your feet dry. I've managed to have to run in wet socks multiple times, and it can lead to early blisters as your feet slide around in your shoes.

2) I always make sure I have an extra bottle of fluid on the bike because if it is very hot, the Aid stations can seem extremely far away from one another. It is not uncommon in the intensity of the event to accidentally drop a bottle of fluid, or have one launched if you hit a pot hole. The extra weight of one bottle of insurance is worth it to me in endurance events. Once one becomes dehydrated, it becomes very difficult to come back.

3) Are you going to pee on the bike? (had to ask) I often do in IM events and not just because of the time saving factor. After a long swim, then long bike in hot weather you may find that stopping to pee can lead to miserable leg cramps which really suck.

4) You will more than likely see people drafting. I TRY to not let it irritate me and I focus on racing my own race.

5) Have a blast!!!!!!!

Good luck to you all and thanks for sharing your names/numbers!!! I'm excited for you! Jim

Jim, thanks for the advice, and thanks for bringing up the *ahem* issue of peeing on the bike. I have been wondering about this, especially if the goal is to stay hydrated. Anyone else do this?
2013-05-30 7:36 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Jim, thanks for the advice, and thanks for bringing up the *ahem* issue of peeing on the bike. I have been wondering about this, especially if the goal is to stay hydrated. Anyone else do this?

Well we're all family, right? LOL

I can tell you there is no way I would ever do that - as a woman it just brings up the possibility of too many other issues that are far worse than stopping to pee
2013-05-30 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Thanks for the extra advice, Jim!

I don't PLAN on peeing on the bike, but if I have to go, I have to go! I've actually never tried this before and don't even know if my body wil let me. First time for everything I guess!
2013-05-30 8:28 AM
in reply to: leechj

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I tend to stay very well hydrated in races..... this means that I need to pee quite frequently, which is a blessing and a curse.

I will deny this vehemently but I pee on the bike. The first time is hard and then it is just something that you do. Have to stop pedaling (pick a downhill portion). Have to stand up a little bit to relieve some pressure. It just happens. Not my proudest moments but I'm racing for time.

Remember what I said about dousing yourself with water as you near the aid stations? Well that helps clean up this issue as well.

Enjoy.

Again, this conversation never happened.

2013-05-30 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4760565

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
What conversation?
2013-05-30 8:39 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I tend to stay very well hydrated in races..... this means that I need to pee quite frequently, which is a blessing and a curse.

I will deny this vehemently but I pee on the bike. The first time is hard and then it is just something that you do. Have to stop pedaling (pick a downhill portion). Have to stand up a little bit to relieve some pressure. It just happens. Not my proudest moments but I'm racing for time.

Remember what I said about dousing yourself with water as you near the aid stations? Well that helps clean up this issue as well.

Enjoy.

Again, this conversation never happened.

LMAO

Even on the TDF they stop to pee and it's courtesy that no one loses their place in the peloton! I like that much better
2013-05-30 8:44 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
Peeing on the bike is an excellent way to rid yourself of drafters
2013-05-30 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by jimmyb

Peeing on the bike is an excellent way to rid yourself of drafters

Hahaha! Love it
2013-05-30 10:03 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Well we're all family, right? LOL

I can tell you there is no way I would ever do that - as a woman it just brings up the possibility of too many other issues that are far worse than stopping to pee

I agree with the negative female possibilities.
Aside from that, doesn't the acidic balance cause irritation regardless of gender. Then there is the smell. I can imagine feeling like I am pulling a shift in the nursing home smelling that on myself for miles.
Of course I am just doing sprints so I can never say never.

2013-05-30 10:46 AM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Well as much as I would like to talk about peeing on a bike, that conversation has never happened in this group so let me ask a different question.

Sitting here like a veal for the past 7 weeks I have been reading a lot. I was reading some of the lean for life stuff I learned I need to get some protein in my breakfast. I like Cream of Wheat as a quick easy breakfast. Has anyone tried to add whey protein powder to this or oatmeal etc? Not really concerned about the taste as much as how to get it mixed in. Even in milk it takes a blender to mix properly.

Anybody ever tried this?

2013-05-30 11:13 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Stuartap

Well as much as I would like to talk about peeing on a bike, that conversation has never happened in this group so let me ask a different question.

Sitting here like a veal for the past 7 weeks I have been reading a lot. I was reading some of the lean for life stuff I learned I need to get some protein in my breakfast. I like Cream of Wheat as a quick easy breakfast. Has anyone tried to add whey protein powder to this or oatmeal etc? Not really concerned about the taste as much as how to get it mixed in. Even in milk it takes a blender to mix properly.

Anybody ever tried this?

I have not but I heard it mixes well!

on another note, for the Newton shoe people (if any) they are on the today
http://www..com/brand-event/4755/Newton-Running

and if you don't know about the , sign up and check it every day at 8am pst. They have awesome deals that sell out fast!
2013-05-30 11:19 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hypothetically, if we were to assume there was a conversation about peeing on the bike I would tell you that I've never been able to do it. Of course, most of my races have been sprints and olympic distance but I may have to try it at Eagleman. I will use Jason's non advice on how to accomplish such a goal....again not that we would everr talk about such a thing not would he have knowledge of how to do it. .

2013-05-30 12:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
With the saddle issue I had earlier this spring, this girl will be finding a bush/tree/anything for peeing even if it takes me time. My girly parts finally found a happy place on the bike, and I'm not about to disrupt that.

Now...did any of you stumble across the thread on the main forum about someone who pooped on their bike?

That said, I had a GREAT 34 mile ride with a new tri friend this morning (she's training for IMFL), and will be riding the Augusta HIM course on Sunday if the weather cooperates.

Edited by glfprncs 2013-05-30 12:15 PM
2013-05-30 12:23 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
I've never peed on the bike. For IMLP I stopped at 110km to pee and have a snack because I was cranky, for my first 70.3 I had to pee but just never went and then for Cali a few months ago I had to go in T2. I've never experienced cramping from stopping myself. In IMLP I actually had to go at about 60k but told myself I wasn't getting off the bike until I had gotten past half way! Lol. (Yes I realize this has possible adverse side effects and don't really recommend this approach....haha)

It's IM expo day!!! Aka. Spending money on IM stuff day!! Wooooooo!

2013-05-30 1:25 PM
in reply to: mndymond

So incredibly jealous of those who can pee on the bike. That is a skill I have not learned. If anyone is doing Eagleman, there is a party house 2 miles into the run. I used their port-a-potty (my family was there). It scared a bunch of folks when I jumped into the race again!
2013-05-30 3:18 PM
in reply to: rallen12

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Whizzing during the swim is the ticket for me.  It limits the need later on.  If I knew I was close to KQing I would work on the whiz skill on the bike. though   Since that isn't likely in the cards, I'll stop once during IM.  It maybe wastes 2'. Someone holds your bike and refills your H20 while you're in there so not a total loss.  I really can't bear the thought of both my saddle and my shoes stinking after it's all over.

Another insanely windy day in Wisconsin.  Even on my SEVEN I was getting blown all over the road.  Boo.

2013-05-30 4:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Jason, my respect for you was way up there already, but this admission of the thing that we do not talk about added about 3000 points.

I'd probably get off the bike to pee, unless I'm gunning for placement. Then I would definitely go on the bike and use Jason's on bike bathing technique. Being a girl, sitting on padding full of pee is probably not the best idea though.

I've been bumming around. Have my new June schedule for a July Oly though, so back at it tomorrow. This weekend is full of non-sports stuff. Volunteer week for the Air Guard families. Making a ton of chili today for a fundraiser. Woooo!

Happy training!

Edited by Blanda 2013-05-30 4:03 PM
2013-05-30 4:19 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

LOL LOL LOL Can't stop laughing at this non talk LOL

Got my wetsuit today! Best thing I done was to try it on the shop rather than buy online, I would have definately bought a size too big.
My daughter says I look like a super hero... Might wear it under my regular clothes...
2013-05-30 6:28 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by tatous LOL LOL LOL Can't stop laughing at this non talk LOL Got my wetsuit today! Best thing I done was to try it on the shop rather than buy online, I would have definately bought a size too big. My daughter says I look like a super hero... Might wear it under my regular clothes...

Picture!!

2013-05-30 7:34 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

New user
Does anyone else find it amusing that we went from a urination conversation into a "wetsuit" one?

I read the pooing on the bike thread too, left me rather speechless.
The lifting up and pushing, then supposing it Wouldn't travel down the leg, and 40 more miles to go. WOW just wow
2013-05-30 7:48 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

New user
Anybody else check out this thread in Triathlon talk?

I have tried some of this during my swims this week and I have liked the results.
I suppose I have relaxed enough to 'trust' that I can breathe just by turning and not lifting my head.
I haven't even had my whole mouth out of the water and am breathing fine most of the time, breathing through part of my mouth.
I even breathed through/around water in my mouth a few times.

Another thing that helped was concentrating on a controlled exhale as soon as my face is back facing down. I was holding my breath at times then exhaling fast when I realized I hadn't done that.
My effort seemed much less to accomplish my swims this week.

2013-05-30 7:57 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by tatous

LOL LOL LOL Can't stop laughing at this non talk LOL

Got my wetsuit today! Best thing I done was to try it on the shop rather than buy online, I would have definately bought a size too big.
My daughter says I look like a super hero... Might wear it under my regular clothes...

Mine will be here tomorrow! YAY

Pics for sure!
2013-05-30 8:09 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Such an interesting day here with our group. I will specifically refrain from looking at the poo topic in triathlon talk. Just can't imagine pooping on the bike.  Wow...... 

Well, it looks like I should be able to race this weekend. Everything seems to be OK and in working order. I picked up some waterproof bandages for my road rash and knee gash (nice littly ryhme there ). May also spray the road rash with some Liquid Skin to protect it during the swim. For the doctors...any concerns with spraying Liquid Skin on road rash type of abrasion? Not a deep cut type of wound.  Plan on covering the shoulder road rash with a Tegrederm (sp?) covering to hopefully keep water away from the wound. Thought some Liquid Skin then the covering would be good pretection.

We have some big races this weekend with Jamie and Nate at Raleigh 70.3 and Melissa at Hawaii 70.3. Anyone else racing? I'll be doing our local sprint.....this was my first tri 4 years ago. Two miles from the house on roads I ride and run on all the time. Unfortuantely the pothole/depression that caused my wreck is on the course but should be well marked. I will definitely be on the lookout for it! Anyone else racing this weekend?  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88