Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-08-18 11:49 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Thanks Joe. I did wonder about the quality of Chamois Butt'r. If its only good for 1.5 hours it won't be much help unless I carry it with me. I figure I'll be riding for 8hrs.

I only have 3 places to shop locally and all 3 sell the Chamois Butt'r. I'll have to see if they sell the Assos Chamois Cream as well. If it is as good as you say I definitely would prefer it.

2013-08-19 2:06 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Thanks Joe. I did wonder about the quality of Chamois Butt'r. If its only good for 1.5 hours it won't be much help unless I carry it with me. I figure I'll be riding for 8hrs.

I only have 3 places to shop locally and all 3 sell the Chamois Butt'r. I'll have to see if they sell the Assos Chamois Cream as well. If it is as good as you say I definitely would prefer it.

I carry Chamois butt'r in small packets in bike bag and a small stick of bodyglide.

(chamois_buttr_pkt10_nc.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
chamois_buttr_pkt10_nc.jpg (32KB - 16 downloads)
2013-08-19 3:28 AM
in reply to: 0

Hi All!

I'm 41, been running a few years but been off with an injury for about a year . I did a couple of sprint tris a few years ago and had a good time, even bought a road bike. Turned out I was too afraid to ride on the road and too outta shape to join a local club. But I've signed up for an outdoor cycling class, start Thursday and I paid for lap sessions at the local pool. I'm starting to run again too. I work overnights which is relatively new, so I'm trying to figure out how all this is going to work. I'm shooting for a sprint distance in October.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, no kids

CURRENT TRAINING: Plan to start running, biking and swimming this week!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: No races completed this year, but planning on the tri in October. Last race was Ojai to Ocean Marathon last summer, 5 hours (yeah, I'm a slow poke)

Edited by Sandyfeet 2013-08-19 3:54 AM
2013-08-19 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Originally posted by wenceslasz I did buy about 5 gallons of Chamois Butt'r which should help some, I hope.
I have been out of town and actively ignoring the tri life since my race, but I'm getting back into the swing of things tomorrow and will go through and comment on anything that's happened in the interim, but quickly wanted to touch on this Chamois Butt'r thing.  I always use Chamois Butt'r, but I've recently discovered there are other chammy lubes out there (I'm a total newb to the bike thing).  In my obsessive preparation for my 70.3, I found various recommendations on here.  The general consensus appears to be that Chamois Butt'r is passable while it lasts, it generally only lasts 1-1.5 hours.  Based on some recommendations here I got a thing of Assos chamois cream, and man that stuff is awesome.  It's a bit tingly at first, but I felt a noticeable difference on my long rides.  I'd check it out if you suspect the Chamois Butt'r might not be getting the job done.

ETA: I even put the Assos stuff on before my swim and did not put more on in T1, and it lasted the entire time.  I know from personal tests that I cannot say the same about Chamois Butt'r.

Ditto here. I just sucked it up and got the Assos. Definitely lasts longer than the Butt'r.

If you are still having difficulty, George, (and anyone else it applies to) you may need to reconsider your short/saddle combos. I have always been more comfortable in tri shorts, until I started doing 3+ hr rides this summer. Also, some of my tri shorts were old enough that seams were coming out and there was some extraneous rubbing that made for "hot spots". So I went back to my actual cycling shorts for the long rides. The chamois is wider and thicker, and together with the assos, that seems to have helped. (This just in the last week!) If you have hot spots or chafing some warm baths might help you heal. If you can't find shorts that are more comfortable, maybe you need to try a different saddle. Where is your issue? There are LOTS of saddle options: width, cushiness, gender-specific, etc.

2013-08-19 8:59 AM
in reply to: brrit

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by brrit Late to the party it looks like, but ready to join in. NAME: Bryan Ritchie STORY: Played club soccer as a kiddo and ran cross country. Found athletics pretty easy for me in my school years and was skinny as a rail, but since then I've slowly put on the pounds edging right up against the dreaded 200 pound mark. I know it is just psychological, but it is serving as a real motivator these days. I started running a couple of years back to start getting back into shape and have gone from barely able to run a half mile to finishing my first half marathon this year. Slow, but done! About 13 years ago, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, which has thrown getting healthy a little speed bump managing insulin during exercise, but is working out fine right now. Tired of just running and looking for some diversity so triathlons seem like a nice step. FAMILY STATUS: Married to wife for 18 years now with 4 wonderful adopted kiddos ages 10, 10, 9, and 7. The kiddos do most of my training with me whether it be on feet, scooter, stroller, or bike. CURRENT TRAINING: All running to date. I run/walk 10-15 miles a week at a about a 12-13 minute pace. Wanting to start swimming and cycling very soon. Found some local pools that allow lap swimming. THIS YEAR'S RACES: Big D Half Marathon (3:13), Independence Day 5K WEIGHTLOSS: Moving the wrong direction at the moment. 196 pounds as we speak and fighting hard to not hit 200. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am motivated to get healthy! Enjoy exercise and really excited learn more about triathlons.

Welcome, Bryan! Triathlon is great for diversity! That's one of the reasons I love it! If I did any one of the sports 6 days a week, I'd want to shoot myself. But each twice a week is perfect.

Are your 10 yr olds biological twins, or did they arrive separately? My hubs and I are just starting an adoption journey. I look forward to a day when my kids can do workouts with me. I'm not counting pushing them in the stroller like I currently do.

2013-08-19 9:01 AM
in reply to: dannywilliams83

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by dannywilliams83 NAME: Danny Williams STORY: I played baseball at the minor league level for a few years. I ended up retiring because I blew up my shoulder. Two years ago I decided in January that I would run a marathon in May after not doing anything for two years. It was hell the first week, but I ended up finishing a race that they cancelled at 20 miles because of heat. I did another marathon in September of that year and I met my goal time of 3:45. My next goal is to finish IM Wisconsin in 2014. I'm doing my first triathlon(a sprint) in 9 days. Because of a vacation and my baby I really haven't trained like I would have hoped, but I have a goal time of 1:20. FAMILY STATUS: I've been married for a little over 3 years and I have a 7 month old son who makes going to the gym a difficult task. CURRENT TRAINING: I've been lazy all summer and really since the last marathon. I need a group to push me and I'm hoping that having to post my result pushes me to the next level. THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did a 10k in June, it did not go well. My split was terrible, 3.1k in 21 minutes with a final time of 54 minutes. I died trying to keep up with my friends. WEIGHTLOSS: It will happen with commitment to the goal. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I just need accountability and posting results for the week is exactly what I need. I have a year to get there and I will climb the mountain.....Til i collapse.

Welcome Danny! Babies do make getting the workouts in hard. But totally doable.

2013-08-19 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by wenceslasz Thanks Joe. I did wonder about the quality of Chamois Butt'r. If its only good for 1.5 hours it won't be much help unless I carry it with me. I figure I'll be riding for 8hrs. I only have 3 places to shop locally and all 3 sell the Chamois Butt'r. I'll have to see if they sell the Assos Chamois Cream as well. If it is as good as you say I definitely would prefer it.

You can take Butt'r with you - a dollop in a baggie. You have to stop to apply, though. You can order Assos online, also. Got mine from REI.

2013-08-19 9:04 AM
in reply to: Sandyfeet

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by Sandyfeet Hi All! I'm 41, been running a few years but been off with an injury for about a year . I did a couple of sprint tris a few years ago and had a good time, even bought a road bike. Turned out I was too afraid to ride on the road and too outta shape to join a local club. But I've signed up for an outdoor cycling class, start Thursday and I paid for lap sessions at the local pool. I'm starting to run again too. I work overnights which is relatively new, so I'm trying to figure out how all this is going to work. I'm shooting for a sprint distance in October. FAMILY STATUS: Single, no kids CURRENT TRAINING: Plan to start running, biking and swimming this week! THIS YEAR'S RACES: No races completed this year, but planning on the tri in October. Last race was Ojai to Ocean Marathon last summer, 5 hours (yeah, I'm a slow poke)

Welcome, Sandyfeet! What is your real name?

2013-08-19 9:16 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Virginny -

My 10 year olds are not twins. Our adoption story is a little odd. The short version is... My wife and I had troubles conceiving for about 10 years with some medical assistance, so we thought that fostering some kiddos in the CPS system would make sense. I was a teacher, youth paster, and camp director, so how hard could it be, right? LOL. So, we picked up our 2 girls when they were 2.5 (now 10) and 1.75 (now 9) years old. After a year or so, they didn't have any options, so we felt that less change was best for them so we adopted them. About a year later, we thought we'd have some foster kiddos come through the house to show our girls their journey and have them help others with similar backgrounds. So we got our two boys just to foster them. Well... They didn't have any long-term options either, so we adopted them as well. They were 2 months old (now 7) and 3.5 years old (now 10 - 2 weeks younger than our oldest kiddo). So, now it is like have triplets with the 3 oldest being within 10 months of each other...

Adoption is a fun and trying process. We've helped lots of folks through their adoption journey. Just be flexible and don't get set on specific kids. Know why you are wanting to adopt and stay with that plan. I know several couples that have been just broken through the process. They "meet" a kid online and are just convinced that is their child. All too often, the kid is not adoptable, already adopted, or carries disabilities that are well beyond their abilities. But, when folks get something in their mind, it can be hard to shake them loose of that. My advice: know that you are going to encounter some horrific situations, but know your own limitations and abilities. Just my 2 cents...

Originally posted by miche033

Originally posted by brrit Late to the party it looks like, but ready to join in. NAME: Bryan Ritchie STORY: Played club soccer as a kiddo and ran cross country. Found athletics pretty easy for me in my school years and was skinny as a rail, but since then I've slowly put on the pounds edging right up against the dreaded 200 pound mark. I know it is just psychological, but it is serving as a real motivator these days. I started running a couple of years back to start getting back into shape and have gone from barely able to run a half mile to finishing my first half marathon this year. Slow, but done! About 13 years ago, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, which has thrown getting healthy a little speed bump managing insulin during exercise, but is working out fine right now. Tired of just running and looking for some diversity so triathlons seem like a nice step. FAMILY STATUS: Married to wife for 18 years now with 4 wonderful adopted kiddos ages 10, 10, 9, and 7. The kiddos do most of my training with me whether it be on feet, scooter, stroller, or bike. CURRENT TRAINING: All running to date. I run/walk 10-15 miles a week at a about a 12-13 minute pace. Wanting to start swimming and cycling very soon. Found some local pools that allow lap swimming. THIS YEAR'S RACES: Big D Half Marathon (3:13), Independence Day 5K WEIGHTLOSS: Moving the wrong direction at the moment. 196 pounds as we speak and fighting hard to not hit 200. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am motivated to get healthy! Enjoy exercise and really excited learn more about triathlons.

Welcome, Bryan! Triathlon is great for diversity! That's one of the reasons I love it! If I did any one of the sports 6 days a week, I'd want to shoot myself. But each twice a week is perfect.

Are your 10 yr olds biological twins, or did they arrive separately? My hubs and I are just starting an adoption journey. I look forward to a day when my kids can do workouts with me. I'm not counting pushing them in the stroller like I currently do.

2013-08-19 4:12 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by brrit

Virginny -

My 10 year olds are not twins. Our adoption story is a little odd. The short version is... My wife and I had troubles conceiving for about 10 years with some medical assistance, so we thought that fostering some kiddos in the CPS system would make sense. I was a teacher, youth paster, and camp director, so how hard could it be, right? LOL. So, we picked up our 2 girls when they were 2.5 (now 10) and 1.75 (now 9) years old. After a year or so, they didn't have any options, so we felt that less change was best for them so we adopted them. About a year later, we thought we'd have some foster kiddos come through the house to show our girls their journey and have them help others with similar backgrounds. So we got our two boys just to foster them. Well... They didn't have any long-term options either, so we adopted them as well. They were 2 months old (now 7) and 3.5 years old (now 10 - 2 weeks younger than our oldest kiddo). So, now it is like have triplets with the 3 oldest being within 10 months of each other...

Adoption is a fun and trying process. We've helped lots of folks through their adoption journey. Just be flexible and don't get set on specific kids. Know why you are wanting to adopt and stay with that plan. I know several couples that have been just broken through the process. They "meet" a kid online and are just convinced that is their child. All too often, the kid is not adoptable, already adopted, or carries disabilities that are well beyond their abilities. But, when folks get something in their mind, it can be hard to shake them loose of that. My advice: know that you are going to encounter some horrific situations, but know your own limitations and abilities. Just my 2 cents...

Inspiring
2013-08-19 5:22 PM
in reply to: Sandyfeet

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Hi Sandyfeet and welcome to BT and our group.

I just wanted to say that taking a few riding lessons is a really good idea especially if you are nervous about it. You should also invest in some swim lessons if you are fairly new to swimming. Initially it can be frustrating to try and build proficiency on your own. Let us know how your training goes and don't let anything stop you. By all means ask any questions you have. Everyone is very patient and supportive.

I would also say congratulations on your 5hr Marathon. It definitely is an accomplishment to be proud of. Plus as a "PR" your time should be easy to beat in your next Marathon (or at least you have something to aim for).

2013-08-19 5:28 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
The small packets would be handy but locally all I can get is the Chamois Butt'r in tubes. I'll have to resort to Miche's suggestion of a small baggy. I won't try to apply it while riding though.

As soon as I can I'll order some Assos - most likely from Amazon. I just won't have it by this Sunday but I will have it for this fall and next year.
2013-08-19 5:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by wenceslasz I did buy about 5 gallons of Chamois Butt'r which should help some, I hope.
I have been out of town and actively ignoring the tri life since my race, but I'm getting back into the swing of things tomorrow and will go through and comment on anything that's happened in the interim, but quickly wanted to touch on this Chamois Butt'r thing.  I always use Chamois Butt'r, but I've recently discovered there are other chammy lubes out there (I'm a total newb to the bike thing).  In my obsessive preparation for my 70.3, I found various recommendations on here.  The general consensus appears to be that Chamois Butt'r is passable while it lasts, it generally only lasts 1-1.5 hours.  Based on some recommendations here I got a thing of Assos chamois cream, and man that stuff is awesome.  It's a bit tingly at first, but I felt a noticeable difference on my long rides.  I'd check it out if you suspect the Chamois Butt'r might not be getting the job done.

ETA: I even put the Assos stuff on before my swim and did not put more on in T1, and it lasted the entire time.  I know from personal tests that I cannot say the same about Chamois Butt'r.

Ditto here. I just sucked it up and got the Assos. Definitely lasts longer than the Butt'r.

If you are still having difficulty, George, (and anyone else it applies to) you may need to reconsider your short/saddle combos. I have always been more comfortable in tri shorts, until I started doing 3+ hr rides this summer. Also, some of my tri shorts were old enough that seams were coming out and there was some extraneous rubbing that made for "hot spots". So I went back to my actual cycling shorts for the long rides. The chamois is wider and thicker, and together with the assos, that seems to have helped. (This just in the last week!) If you have hot spots or chafing some warm baths might help you heal. If you can't find shorts that are more comfortable, maybe you need to try a different saddle. Where is your issue? There are LOTS of saddle options: width, cushiness, gender-specific, etc.

I did pull out my first pair of bike shorts (virtually still new) and I'll try them out with Butt'r before this weekend. I find the tri shorts are quite functional up to 90km but after that I think a bit more padding is in order. I'm still hopeful that this saddle will work for me but if it doesn't improve I'll have to replace it pretty quickly.

My issue is my medial left ischial tuberosity (aka left sit bone). Just where it connects with the saddle. The right side was a bit sensitive but nothing like the left. In my bike fit they found that I tend to sit on the saddle a bit to the right so increasing the pressure on the left. Now I'm trying to correct my rightness and to sit a bit further back on the saddle which seems to help.
2013-08-19 5:46 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
George

When you decide to change your saddle you may need to coordinate it with your pro fitter for readjustment. My pro fitter gave me 4 weeks from out the door t make the add-ons i wanted to do so i can go back for re-adjustment FOC.

2013-08-19 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Bryan - pretty neat story about how you "fell" into your family. I know for me life seems to be a series of random/chance/coincidences but when I look back it's been a straight line all the way.

2013-08-19 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
That's good to know Carl. When I was leaving after my fit he said to let him know if anything needs adjustment. We specifically talked about the saddle but he never specified a time frame. I should know how it is by next Monday so I'll go in right away if it isn't working out rather than letting it slide.

Kind of foolish of me to care about keeping the saddle that came with the bike. Comfort is by far the more important issue.

2013-08-19 7:55 PM
in reply to: dannywilliams83

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by dannywilliams83

Thanks guys. I guess question #1, how important is strength training to an IM program? Also I've been looking over plans and I haven't decided what I'm going with. Does anyone have a plan the really like?

Most plans I've seen include strength training. I haven't done a full IM yet but when training for sprints, Oly's and 70.3's, I usually shoot for 2 swims, 3 rides and 3 runs per week and rarely had the time or energy to get all eight done in a week so I didn't even try to fit in any strength training. Also don't forget about trying to get a rest day in every week to help with recovery.
2013-08-19 8:16 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by brrit

As I start training more, is the goal for most training sessions to stay in HR Zone 2? I've had a couple of tri buddies tell me this is their strategy. Is this common?

Pretty common. There are all kinds of different plans and approaches one being to train mostly in zone 2 with some zone 3/4 work. The thought being zone 2 builds endurance and zone 4 builds speed while zone three is in between. Plenty of other opinions though. I would look at as many plans as you can and see what works for you. If you recover quickly and don't injure easily, you can do more intense workouts than someone like me.
2013-08-19 8:24 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

I haven't tried Assos but have heard good things about it. I found Aquaphor works for me and its cheap. You can buy a container at Walmart in the baby diaper cream section. I put it on before the swim at my last HIM and didn't have any issues. Finding the right saddle helps too. After some serious undercarriage pain that resulted in several trips to the doctor, then urologist, then a couple ultrasounds, I switched to the Adamo road saddle and love it. I've heard goods things about the Cobb V-flow max too.
2013-08-19 8:29 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Big Chamois can hold lots of water. If you plan to go with a thicker pad for racing, practice soaking it before a couple brick workouts to make sure you won't have an issue on race day.
2013-08-20 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by wenceslasz  My issue is my medial left ischial tuberosity (aka left sit bone). Just where it connects with the saddle. The right side was a bit sensitive but nothing like the left. In my bike fit they found that I tend to sit on the saddle a bit to the right so increasing the pressure on the left. Now I'm trying to correct my rightness and to sit a bit further back on the saddle which seems to help.

The other thing you can do is just be out of the saddle a lot: going over bumps or tracks, stand; going down hills lift your weight off the seat; etc. More weight on your legs, less on your sit bone.

2013-08-20 9:56 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by ransick

Big Chamois can hold lots of water. If you plan to go with a thicker pad for racing, practice soaking it before a couple brick workouts to make sure you won't have an issue on race day.

Not planning on using it race day. I can just suck it up with the tri shorts (which are otherwise more comfy) and if I pay for it later that's OK. I'll be taking time off. Probably 8 days.

2013-08-20 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by brrit Virginny - My 10 year olds are not twins. Our adoption story is a little odd. The short version is... My wife and I had troubles conceiving for about 10 years with some medical assistance, so we thought that fostering some kiddos in the CPS system would make sense. I was a teacher, youth paster, and camp director, so how hard could it be, right? LOL. So, we picked up our 2 girls when they were 2.5 (now 10) and 1.75 (now 9) years old. After a year or so, they didn't have any options, so we felt that less change was best for them so we adopted them. About a year later, we thought we'd have some foster kiddos come through the house to show our girls their journey and have them help others with similar backgrounds. So we got our two boys just to foster them. Well... They didn't have any long-term options either, so we adopted them as well. They were 2 months old (now 7) and 3.5 years old (now 10 - 2 weeks younger than our oldest kiddo). So, now it is like have triplets with the 3 oldest being within 10 months of each other... Adoption is a fun and trying process. We've helped lots of folks through their adoption journey. Just be flexible and don't get set on specific kids. Know why you are wanting to adopt and stay with that plan. I know several couples that have been just broken through the process. They "meet" a kid online and are just convinced that is their child. All too often, the kid is not adoptable, already adopted, or carries disabilities that are well beyond their abilities. But, when folks get something in their mind, it can be hard to shake them loose of that. My advice: know that you are going to encounter some horrific situations, but know your own limitations and abilities. Just my 2 cents...

Neat story. Thanks for your $0.02.

2013-08-20 12:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Fellow Trainees

I am going to embarrass myself again here. I am preparing for logistics for my next week Oly. I am just going to ask this question all the way.

"Any Layer Under the Tri-Shorts"??????? or Commando all the way?

There i said it.

Edited by strykergt 2013-08-20 12:44 PM
2013-08-20 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by strykergt Fellow Trainees I am going to embarrass myself again here. I am preparing for logistics for my next week Oly. I am just going to ask this question all the way. "Any Layer Under the Tri-Shorts"??????? or Commando all the way? There i said it.
No need to be embarrased.  Definitely commando.  Tri-shorts and bike shorts are not meant to be worn with underwear or anything else like that.  The only thing between you and the shorts should be whatever your choice of chamois cream is. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41