BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-05-19 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2867394

User image

Welllington, NZ
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
kenj - 2010-05-19 5:57 PM
I think the key to marathon training is frequency.  I would do the same number of miles/kilometers over 5 runs per week if you can vs. 4.  Then build the weekly mileage over the 5 runs.  But you are doing great, so keeping on doing what you are doing works too!!!

Yea, it sounds good but this year i just don't have the time to fit in more than 4 runs a week (and i'm having to work hard to fit those in). For example, this week my wife is away in Oz and i'm doing all the kids stuff/runarounds so i have had to take 1/2 days off work so i can fit in my long runs in my time off in the mornings! Foot in mouth

Thanks Ken (and Scott) - i'm hearing you! I know the small increases work well as i did them in my marathon 2 years ago, but i knew i could do more - kinda like jumping into a 20 week plan at week 10 i suppose. I know that my current mileage is now at it's peak though so it's time to rethink (as you say Scott work smarter) and adjust my plan accordingly - hence adding some more alternate exercise (in my case biking).

Scott - excellent news re the times - well done!

How's everyone else doing? I thought this thread would get busier as you guys in the NH got into your seasons!

Cheers guys,

Lewis.

2010-05-26 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
What's up guys.  Been out of town for a bit and then getting caught back up.  Riding has been going well. Almost back up to the pre-surgery speed (long ride stamina is another issue).

Going out on my first group ride in months.  I'm sure I'll try to hang with the A group and bonk.

Still not sure WHEN to start running.  I've tried a few short ones (100 yards short) and while I have no "pain" in the knee I'm having weird muscle twinges.  I'm guessing this is to be expected but wow is it unnerving.
2010-05-26 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2883929

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

TriRSquared - 2010-05-26 3:17 PM What's up guys.  Been out of town for a bit and then getting caught back up.  Riding has been going well. Almost back up to the pre-surgery speed (long ride stamina is another issue).

Going out on my first group ride in months.  I'm sure I'll try to hang with the A group and bonk.

Still not sure WHEN to start running.  I've tried a few short ones (100 yards short) and while I have no "pain" in the knee I'm having weird muscle twinges.  I'm guessing this is to be expected but wow is it unnerving.

I'm sure after what you have been through there is a little bit of extra awareness with the knee!  Good to hear the cycling is going well!

Thanks for checking in!!!

2010-05-31 11:06 PM

User image

New user
Hey guys and gals!  Long time no posting etc.   I just wanted to let everyone know my baby boy arrived this past week.  Finally the fun begins and the waiting is over.  Can't wait to get back into the game, even though the game is going to be a little different.

2010-06-01 5:09 AM

User image

Congratulations, Dan!! No job is better in this world than being a parent and loving a child. Enjoy the many sleepless nights to come.

2010-06-01 6:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Awesome on the baby!  Glad everything is going well.  Have fun.

Awesome on the recovery from the knee. 

I'm still flirting with 22 mph on the 12.5 mile Tuesday time trials.  PR'd last week at 21.95.  Can you believe it?  I had to slow down for a truck on a turn too.  Going to go out again. 

I bought a Wheelbuilder aero cover for the power tap rear wheel and bought a bontrager aero wheel for the front.  The Orbea is riding pretty sweet.  Just needs a bigger motor.

I'm up to 10 miles on my long runs.  19 for the week. 

Tapering this week for my first triathlon of the season, a sprint on Saturday. I need to get intoi an open water swim on Wednesday to get the feel of the wet suit before the race, but other than that all is good.  The run course is same as last year, I rode the new bike course Monday.  It's got grades but relatively flat and should be fast.  A loop so its better and safer than the out and back previously. 

All good.  Have a great week.

2010-06-01 6:54 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
Hey everyone! Long time no talk. 

So..an update on me.  Been training like a fiend, whenever I can find time and really getting into it.  May 22 I ran a 5k and ran it in 19:46, finishing 11th overall and 1st in my age.  

Saturday I ran Buffalo Half Marathon (deciding the morning before) and ran it comfortably in 1:50:16, happy for my first half marathon ever.

I'm still training hard for my Half Ironman in August. Seeing what the future will hold for me in this sport. My coach seems to think that if I can run a half with moderate effort in 1:50 that I have untapped potential, but we'll see!

Hope all is well with the rest of you. I'm off to Ireland for a week tonight. Going to do some fun runs when I'm over there. That's for sure.  
2010-06-01 6:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Sounds great!  Keep up the great work! 
2010-06-01 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2893084

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

selonimes - 2010-06-01 12:06 AM Hey guys and gals!  Long time no posting etc.   I just wanted to let everyone know my baby boy arrived this past week.  Finally the fun begins and the waiting is over.  Can't wait to get back into the game, even though the game is going to be a little different.

Congratulations to you and your wife Dan!!  That is awesome!!

2010-06-01 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2893290

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-06-01 7:49 AM Awesome on the baby!  Glad everything is going well.  Have fun.

Awesome on the recovery from the knee. 

I'm still flirting with 22 mph on the 12.5 mile Tuesday time trials.  PR'd last week at 21.95.  Can you believe it?  I had to slow down for a truck on a turn too.  Going to go out again. 

I bought a Wheelbuilder aero cover for the power tap rear wheel and bought a bontrager aero wheel for the front.  The Orbea is riding pretty sweet.  Just needs a bigger motor.

I'm up to 10 miles on my long runs.  19 for the week. 

Tapering this week for my first triathlon of the season, a sprint on Saturday. I need to get intoi an open water swim on Wednesday to get the feel of the wet suit before the race, but other than that all is good.  The run course is same as last year, I rode the new bike course Monday.  It's got grades but relatively flat and should be fast.  A loop so its better and safer than the out and back previously. 

All good.  Have a great week.

Great work on the TT Scott, you will hit 22 soon!!

Good luck at the tri this weekend!!  Have a fun race!!

2010-06-01 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2893300

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ryanknapp - 2010-06-01 7:54 AM Hey everyone! Long time no talk. 

So..an update on me.  Been training like a fiend, whenever I can find time and really getting into it.  May 22 I ran a 5k and ran it in 19:46, finishing 11th overall and 1st in my age.  

Saturday I ran Buffalo Half Marathon (deciding the morning before) and ran it comfortably in 1:50:16, happy for my first half marathon ever.

I'm still training hard for my Half Ironman in August. Seeing what the future will hold for me in this sport. My coach seems to think that if I can run a half with moderate effort in 1:50 that I have untapped potential, but we'll see!

Hope all is well with the rest of you. I'm off to Ireland for a week tonight. Going to do some fun runs when I'm over there. That's for sure.  

Fast running Ryan!! Great job!!

Have a safe trip and a great time!!

2010-06-01 7:09 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great to hear from everyone, keep up the great work on reaching your goals!!

2010-06-01 5:59 PM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Wow! No updates for a while and then a raft of activity. Great news re bub - years of fun to come!

Good to hear training going well for people too! Only 3 weeks to go until my marathon - did a 27k run on Monday and knees are pretty whacked! I'm too old for this stuff! ;-) Only kidding guys, i'm looking forward to it - and i might even put my entry in soon!

Lewis.
2010-06-02 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2895282

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

lbishop - 2010-06-01 6:59 PM Wow! No updates for a while and then a raft of activity. Great news re bub - years of fun to come!

Good to hear training going well for people too! Only 3 weeks to go until my marathon - did a 27k run on Monday and knees are pretty whacked! I'm too old for this stuff! ;-) Only kidding guys, i'm looking forward to it - and i might even put my entry in soon!

Lewis.

Those long runs are tough, but necessary!!  Nice work!!

2010-06-02 7:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I have found knee relief two ways as I stretch farther;

- I run off the pavement when I can.  I read many marathoners shoot for 70% off road training just for that reason;
- I do the Chi Running bit and keep my knees under me and increase cadence rather than stride. 

I notice a huge difference in knee pain when I fail to do either off the above.

Did the TT last night.  Naturally, my timing stuff, my PT and the Garmin, have me at 22 plus for 12.5 miles but I have to wait and see.  I've been flirting with the 22 mark and come up so short in the last two times, as close as .02 in fact.  Last night's wind was a head wind for the long portion. So I'm glad to just be near a PR under those conditions.  Climbing better and ripping on the flats. Not bad for a 58 year old.  Did a 5K brick after with a friend.  Felt good.  All I really wanted was to check out the bike set up before Saturday's race.  Got that done so I'm good. 

Have a great day!
2010-06-02 9:13 PM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Thanks Scott - will keep that in mind as i run! good work on the bike! Just signed up for the marathon now - good motivation to keep it up now!

Lewis.

2010-06-05 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Race report to my coach:

Swim: 12:39:   Went really well.  Stayed to the right and out of trouble.  Almost no jostling this time.  Not because there weren't people...they were everywhere, but I managed my space really well.  Kept sighting well.  Happy with it. The time includes running up the hill so I'm good with that.

Bike: 35:08   22.2 mph.  When you zoom in on the TT portion of the file, I was at 265 w and 96 cadence.  That's right under 90%.  Not bad for having to slow down in and out of the park...  The speed was really great for me.  I was never passed by anyone on the bike.  Just opened up and flew - except for corners.  Bike performed great.  They have me at 22.2.  Really happy with that.   

Run:  28:28.  They had me at 9:11/mi.  My Garmin has me at 9:03.  Felt strong.  I was tired after the bike but the form on the run was good and it was just a matter of light and quick.  Kept repeating it.  Went well, I thought.  I could always be faster and I will.

Transitions: hey sucked.  The 1st announcement was they were delaying the start.  I went to the bathroom again and was in line when I heard they were going at 8.  I had 10 minutes to get back and get the wet suit on.  I had everything so well organized too but didn't lay it out because of the delay and the rain coming down.  So every transition was a search for this or that.

Overall: 1:22:41.6  7th.  I don't know where these guys were ahead of me because I never got passed on the bike at all and never passed by anyone in my age group on the run.  They must have passed me in the water and stayed ahead or they must have passed me in transitions.  

I feel good about the race overall, I feel great about the bike.  I feel good about the swim and the run.  Overall, I had a great time.  Lots of comments about how good I am looking with the weight done.

Scott
"It's hard to be me, I just make it look easy"
309-275-7120          cell
309-820-3227          work
2010-06-06 1:20 AM
in reply to: #2902961

User image

Welllington, NZ
Nice going Scott. Sounds like pretty much everything felt good out there - that's the great feeling eh when you run your race as you want! Congrats.

Lewis.
2010-06-06 9:19 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Congrats on a great race Scott!! Way to go!

2010-06-06 7:36 PM

User image

Sure wish I could pedal my bike as fast as you, Scott! Great job!

2010-06-07 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2903997

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

bswcpa - 2010-06-06 8:36 PM Sure wish I could pedal my bike as fast as you, Scott! Great job!

You and me, both!

2010-06-07 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2903997

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

bswcpa - 2010-06-06 8:36 PM Sure wish I could pedal my bike as fast as you, Scott! Great job!

Double post!

Edited by kenj 2010-06-07 2:16 PM
2010-06-07 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I love the bike. I feel like a 15 year old on Saturday morning.
2010-06-09 8:06 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
First run last night since the knee surgery.  We have a summer beach run series (a kid's 1 mile run and then followed up by an adult run of various diustances).  Every Tuesday night for 12 weeks.  It's a great time.

So I ran the 1 mile run with my 8 year old.  Had the knee in a soft sided brace (probably for more peace of mind than anything else).  Went good.  Took it very easy at 9:20/mile.

Each step produced some weird pang but nothing I'd call pain.  Just unnerving.  After the run I had no pain so that's all I can ask for.

Thus begins a LONG, frustrating road to running recovery (swim is back, bike is almost there).  Last piece of the puzzle.
2010-06-09 8:11 AM

User image

You're going about your recovery the right way, TriRS, so don't get discouraged. That's great news that you didn't have any pain afterwards. Keep eating away at those miles, one at a time.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29