BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-06-03 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2899641

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
thndrcloud - 2010-06-04 5:40 AM I ran 10 miles for the first time today!

DOUBLE DIGITS! Woo-hooooo!

I *still* remember my first 10-miler.

2010-06-03 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2899641

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Nice job!! I think I was in nap mode all day after my first 10 miler...remember it well. :-)

Congrats on a great accomplishment!

2010-06-03 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Congrats Allison!  I guess the first 10 miler is a memorable one...I remember mine too...or more specifically I remember how hard it was...

2010-06-03 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2899692

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
blackledge - 2010-06-03 4:00 PM Awesome!  I need to work in longer distances too. How did you feel during your longest run??
Are you working your way to half-iron training for Lake Geneva?

Let me translate for you:

Hey, are we all going to Lake Geneva together?!? 
2010-06-03 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2896811

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
crews - 2010-06-02 12:26 PM

Hi Manatees.  Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend and remembered to remember the service men and women. 

My bike ride Saturday did not end well.  I had to quit at 60 miles.  The body just wouldn't go any farther...at a reasonable speed.  I had to catch the sag wagon (the ride of shame) back.  It sucked.  We have a 50 miler this weekend, then the century on the 12th.  All I can do now is hope I have a good day on the bike that day. 

We had a big cookout/bonfire on Saturday night, so Sunday was a pretty lazy day with a little cleaning here and there.  Headed up to the lake Monday, but got stormed out around 2pm, but we got in a few hours of fun in the sun.

The week is half over...Yay.  Another weekend is almost here

And how many people in this world get on a bike?  And of those, how many ride 20?  40?  60?  How many say, "I'm doing 100" but ONLY get to 60?  Cut yourself some slack.  Triple digits are right around the corner. 

And yay, weekend! 
2010-06-03 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2900143

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
quincyf - 2010-06-03 8:17 PM
blackledge - 2010-06-03 4:00 PM Awesome!  I need to work in longer distances too. How did you feel during your longest run??
Are you working your way to half-iron training for Lake Geneva?

Let me translate for you:

Hey, are we all going to Lake Geneva together?!? 

I'm going to Lake Geneva.  Which course I'm going to race is still up in the air, but I'm definitely leaning toward the HIM.  Cuz I think I can.

2010-06-04 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2900226

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I would like to do Lake Geneva as well.  And like Allison at this moment I am not sure what race I would like to do either.  Ideally it would be the 1/2 but may fall back to the Olympic. Maybe I will know better next month...hopefully.
2010-06-04 10:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Congrats on the 10 miler Allison.  Way to go!!  That is still somewhere in my future.....

I didn't think that I was going to get my ride in last night because the weather channel had been calling for thunder storms at 5:00.  It sprinkled a bit on my way home, but then it stopped and I checked the radar and all looked clear, so off I went!  When I got back, I decided to run around the block!!  I like to get a little bit of bricks in before races, and my first race is next weekend!  I can't wait for it to get here.  I am so excited, but always a little nervous too.

What does everyone have planned for this weekend??  Races??  I will probably have no training time.  Tonight and tomorrow morning are the rummage sale at my church.  I always volunteer to help, either in the kitchen or straightening out the tables - pretty much where ever they need me.  Immediately after the sale ends on Saturday, we pack up everything that is left and it is donated.  Then, the board that my husband and I are on is having a carnival for everyone in the church on Sunday.  We are setting up Saturday afternoon.  I volunteered us to be in charge of the kitchen, so I have all kinds of cooking and preparing to do sometime.  Then, I have a graduation party Saturday afternoon - evening.  I have no idea how long I will be at church on Sunday - this is the first time we have had the carnival.  So, I plan on trying to squeeze in a run either Saturday after the graduation party or Sunday after the carnival.  I'll have to see if that all works out!!

Have a great weekend!  Happy training and racing!

Karen
2010-06-04 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2901034

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
That's exciting that you have a race next weekend...it's your first tri of the season right?
I hope this time you are able to avoid the seaweed monster!
And hopefully you can get in a little working out this weekend but it's great that your volunteering for your church/community too...that's very important.
2010-06-04 11:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Carla- 60 miles?!!  That is nothing to be ashamed of!!  That is still one heck of a distance.  Good for you.

Allison- Congrats on the 10 mile run!  It's exciting isn't it?  Are you doing a HIM this season?  

Karen- sounds like you have alot on your plate this weekend.  I am sure you will squeeze in a run somewhere.  You need "me" time.

Uggh what a horrible run I had today!  Let me backtrack to yesterday- I am usually swimming on Thursday nights but had a PTA fundraiser to attend last night so skipped my swim (felt guilty).  Well 5 glasses of Cabernet and food that is not conducive to training were consumed.  My sister was coming by 10am this morning to watch the little one while I ran.  I was feeling the after-effects of the wine this morning, and it was hot as blazes out, but I said to myself "suck it up and get out there to run".  I was planning to go 4 miles.  Dropped it to 3 when I felt how how it was.  Started slow and it just got worse from there!  Now I read online that there is an Ozone/Air quality alert for the area and outdoor physical activity should be kept to a minimum.  So everything combined made for a lousy run.  But I guess it is better than no run!

This weekend I have a 25 mile hilly ride planned early tomorrow followed by a 2 mile run off the bike.  Sunday we are having a garage sale.  My plan calls for a 6 mile run on Sunday so I hope that I have enough energy left to do it in the evening after the garage sale is over.  

I didn't get to read everyones posts- anyone racing this weekend?? 
2010-06-04 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Hi Manatees!  I hope everyone has a great weekend!  I have a 50 mile ride planned for tomorrow.  I've had to work 13 hour days all week, so the ride will be a challenge...and the high is 97.  We'll start at 7am, so we should get done before the real heat of the day sets in.  The century is next weekend...wowzer...that came up fast!

Took the doggies to the vet this morning.  We have a 9 year old and a 5 year old weimeriner.  The 9 year old has heart worms.  Not good.  They said we should let the heat of the summer pass before treating her since she's got a very light case at this time.  So $280 later, I leave.  She has to go back for a $500 stay.  Remember those 13 hour work days...that money is spent!

2010-06-06 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Hope everyone's having a great weekend! Several of you have some races coming up soon. Be sure to remind us when you're racing so we can send fast and safe thoughts your way.

2010-06-06 9:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Hello all!!  

I feel like I had a good training weekend.  Yesterday was my first hilly ride of the season.  Let's just say I need to get on the hills more often!!  My close route is 5 min from home by car and the hilly stuff is 30 minute drive so for time constraint purposes I tend to stick to the local path.  However Timberman will knock me on my rear if I don't get up on those hills more to train.  So I am going to try to make every weekend ride on hills.  I followed the ride with a 2 mile slow run.  Then came home and got ready for our garage sale that we had today.  Sat in hot humid weather all day for that, then dinner and a late 6 mile run after the kids were in bed.  Not too bad considering... but not my 10 min miles either.  My legs are shot right now.  

First race of the season is Saturday!  Yikes!!!  It is an Oly- RJ Aaron Memorial Mighty Montauk Tri.  It's just under a 2 hour drive but since packet pickup is mandatory on Friday I have to head out there the day before, so I am making a weekend of it with my sister while the hubby's play Mr. Mom for the weekend.  I don't know how well prepared I feel for the race, but that't OK- it was a race I only decided to do about 4 wks ago.  

Night all! 
2010-06-07 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2901442

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Carla - Sorry to hear about your dog.  I hope that she makes a speedy recovery! Our pets are such an important part of our lives so I'll keep you in my thoughts as I know it can be a rough time. But I am sure she will pull through and fight it!
            Good luck on your century ride this upcoming weekend.

Laura - Hill work is never fun but it does help a lot in the long-run as it makes your actual race day much easier than your training days.  Are you excited for your first race?! I am excited for you!  This is your first Olympic right? I am doing my first one this summer too. Keep up the training this week and don't forget to get a good night's rest 2 nights before your race.

Edited by blackledge 2010-06-07 9:23 AM
2010-06-07 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Happy Monday Manatees!

Carla - hope your pup is okay!  I would be going crazy if that were one of my furry ones, I know how much they mean to you!  How did your ride go on Saturday?  Hope you had fun!!!

Laura - Sounds like you had a crazy busy weekend.  But you got in some great training.  Way to go!  Good luck at your race on Saturday.  The first race of the season is so exciting!!

I made it through my packed weekend, and even got in my run last night.  I wasn't sure if I would fit it in, but I managed!  I also have my first race of the season this weekend, and I am so ridiculously excited that I am going crazy.  And nobody here understands the excitement of your first race of the season, or any race for that matter.  Now, my only concern is that it is to just get into the 70s this week, and is to drop to the 40s at night!  And I am a cold person as it is!!

Have a good week everyone!

Karen
2010-06-07 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Carla- I don't know how I missed the part about your dog being sick.  Hope he feels better soon.  I am a total animal lover.  We have 2 cats right now.  

Ryan- This is not my first oly.  I did one last season that was a total disaster because of the swim (it was choppy and I got really seasick- almost had to take a DNF) so I am hoping to do better in this race.  

Sounds like a few of us are racing this weekend??

Can I rant a little about locker room behavior... Do you need to empty your bag and organize it, wash and dry your goggles, go through your wallet and do other non important tasks while completely naked with a towel arms length away?  Do you really?  I mean, I am no prude... I get dressed/undressed in the locker room in front of everyone else and don't have issues with me or anyone else being naked in the locker room while in the process of getting dressed/undressed.  But I really don't need to see all your bits and pieces while you wander aimlessly checking email on your blackberry...  OK done rantingTongue out 

2010-06-07 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2905736

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
elbi999

Can I rant a little about locker room behavior... Do you need to empty your bag and organize it, wash and dry your goggles, go through your wallet and do other non important tasks while completely naked with a towel arms length away?  Do you really?  I mean, I am no prude... I get dressed/undressed in the locker room in front of everyone else and don't have issues with me or anyone else being naked in the locker room while in the process of getting dressed/undressed.  But I really don't need to see all your bits and pieces while you wander aimlessly checking email on your blackberry...  OK done rantingTongue out 

Do we go to the same gym???  Haha. 

Hey all, I am wanting to do a race report on the Udder Century, but I won't have time until tomorrow night.  Boo.  Short version is that it was windy, but we managed to pull it off.  My time (just under 6) was only in the saddle, so with all the rest stops (and extensive goofing around at said rest stops) we took a lot longer to do it...and I need  a new bike.

First tri of the season next Sunday.  I am going to have to find a way to channel this adrenaline, whew, I am excited. 

More later manatees...who else had an event this weekend???

PS Laura, have you tried ear plugs???  I get dizzy when I swim if I don't wear them, and I didn't realize it was the earplugs until I read about someone else who gets seasick and uses them to keep the symptoms down.  (I refuse to admit seasickness as I was in the Navy for 10 years...no way!)  I started wearing them b/c I have tiny eustacian tubes and water gets trapped in there very easily and I was getting ear infections.  I didn't have them the other day (my swimming FAIL day) and I was WOOZY coming out of the water.
2010-06-07 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2905857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
quincyf - 2010-06-07 1:50 PM
elbi999

Do we go to the same gym???  Haha. 

Hey all, I am wanting to do a race report on the Udder Century, but I won't have time until tomorrow night.  Boo.  Short version is that it was windy, but we managed to pull it off.  My time (just under 6) was only in the saddle, so with all the rest stops (and extensive goofing around at said rest stops) we took a lot longer to do it...and I need  a new bike.

First tri of the season next Sunday.  I am going to have to find a way to channel this adrenaline, whew, I am excited. 

More later manatees...who else had an event this weekend???

PS Laura, have you tried ear plugs???  I get dizzy when I swim if I don't wear them, and I didn't realize it was the earplugs until I read about someone else who gets seasick and uses them to keep the symptoms down.  (I refuse to admit seasickness as I was in the Navy for 10 years...no way!)  I started wearing them b/c I have tiny eustacian tubes and water gets trapped in there very easily and I was getting ear infections.  I didn't have them the other day (my swimming FAIL day) and I was WOOZY coming out of the water.

Hahaha we must go to the same gym!!  
Oh I wear earplugs every single time I  swim.  I had never had issues in the pool or open water.  But the dday of that race a nasty storm blew in over night and made for very choppy conditions for the normally calm swim.  I get sea sick quite easily but never considered that it would happen while I was swimming.  I bought ginger capsules that I heard keep your sea sickness at bay so if I need to use them I will let you all know how it turns out.  
Looking forward to the race report for the century.

2010-06-09 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Everyone is sooo quiet. 
Hope it's because you are all out training
Hope it's not because the grossness of the gym lockeroom has scared you!
2010-06-09 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Gah!  I tried to take the little dude for a run this morning but he screamed so I scrapped it and we spent two hours at the park instead.  Now he's crashed out and I'm ready to try the run again but I'm afraid to hit the roads because I just had two big glasses of water.  Monday night I ended up having to stop and pee in the bushes TWICE because I just couldn't hold it.

It's time to see a doctor but in the meantime I've got to either suffer in the bushes or use the treadmill at the gym where I can hop off and hit the bathroom whenever the need arises.  I hate the treadmill but I hate peeing my pants too.  GAH!!!

Sorry, that was way TMI but this is becoming a seriously frustrating problem for me.  That and being attacked by birds.  I may start hating the run again.
2010-06-09 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2911131

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Sorry that I have been quiet too.  The gym/locker room is always scary. I plan on heading there for a swim tonight and don't get me started on the strange/annoying things that happen in the pool. I want to get a swim in because we are visiting friends this weekend so I won't be able to do anything except early morning runs probably.

Sorry to hear about your run frustrations Allison.  Hopefully if you go to the dr., he/she will be able to help you out.  Does it happen to you when you're biking too? Not sure what to do about the birds unless you choose to run with a tennis racquet?

2010-06-09 4:23 PM
in reply to: #2911131

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Allison -- I've had the potty issue, too. FWIW -- I found that running as early in the a.m. as possible seemed to help. Since I've been off caffeine for a couple of months, that's seemed to help as well. I have discussed this with my Dr. and done some research on it. What I've learned is sometimes artificial sweetners in tea, coffee, soda, etc. can trigger bladder issues as well as hormonal fluctuations in different times of the month. Plus, that 'ol childbirth thing didn't help much either, but nothing to do about that now. Also, one practitioner told me to wear a tampon, which helps to "hold up" the bladder. Also, there are some acupressure/acupuncture points on the inside of the ankle about 2 inches from the ankle bone that can be stimulated to help alleviate the problem. That was actually told to me by a medical nurse practitioner! Maybe some of that will help...and Ryan's idea of the tennis racket for the birds??

Cool that so many of the manatees are racing this weekend. I ran the San DIego Rock and Roll half marathon on Sunday and had a great time. I've posted a RR if anyone's interested, but it's a long and winding tale that may be kind of boring. It was the first year for the 1/2 and I really enjoyed the course and will run it again. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=211866

2010-06-09 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2911852

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Great race Lynn!  Someday I will be able to run that fast and that far.  Not today though.

Running earlier definitely helps but not entirely and it's never been a problem when biking.  I never have caffeine and drink pretty much only water and sometimes milk.  I actually had problems with this and surgery to correct it when I was a kid so I'm thinking it may be a relapse of some sort.  Until I sort it out I'll be mapping my runs based on access to restrooms. 
2010-06-09 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Lynn - Great run - and sounds like you had a blast.  I too want to do a HM.  Really, what is it like?  How much training?

My training this week has been different since I am racing on Saturday too.   Tonight I ended up doing transition practice.  Sometimes I really think that the neighbors must think I am crazy.  I ran around the corner of the house to where I had my bike set up in the drive way.  Did a quick T1 and ran with my bike to the end of the driveway, and hopped for a quick ride around a couple of streets.  Then back into the driveway where I hopped off my bike at the end of the driveway and ran to the garage.  Did a quick T2 and ran around the block.  Repeat 5 times.  Oh yea, and it was raining.  Pretty hard at times.  Oh well, it might not have been a great workout, but I had fun!!  They are calling for scattered thunder storms on Saturday, so I hope we get the race in without any rain.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.

Karen
2010-06-09 8:56 PM
in reply to: #2912295

User image

Master
Vista, CA

gadgetlaw - 2010-06-09 6:50 PM Lynn - Great run - and sounds like you had a blast.  I too want to do a HM.  Really, what is it like?  How much training?

My training this week has been different since I am racing on Saturday too.   Tonight I ended up doing transition practice.  Sometimes I really think that the neighbors must think I am crazy.  I ran around the corner of the house to where I had my bike set up in the drive way.  Did a quick T1 and ran with my bike to the end of the driveway, and hopped for a quick ride around a couple of streets.  Then back into the driveway where I hopped off my bike at the end of the driveway and ran to the garage.  Did a quick T2 and ran around the block.  Repeat 5 times.  Oh yea, and it was raining.  Pretty hard at times.  Oh well, it might not have been a great workout, but I had fun!!  They are calling for scattered thunder storms on Saturday, so I hope we get the race in without any rain.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.

Karen

That sounds like a great transition workout, Karen. I remember someone suggesting to get in the wetsuit, spray yourself down with the hose and then start the T1 and T2 from there. I think my neighbors think I'm a bit nuts, too. Maybe they're right!

As far as half marathon training, the first one I did a couple of years ago I wasn't ready for but did anyway. The furthest I'd run was 10 miles and even that was a walk/run. Now, I kind of tag the running training onto my tri training. A full marathon is way different (for me) though -- that's like 20 weeks worth of building and backing off.

Yes, best of luck to you Karen in your tri and everyone else, too. I'm sure we'll have some more shout-outs before Saturday/Sundays races come along.  Oh, btw-- the first tri of my season this year was done completely in the rain and it wasn't that bad.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60