BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-06-22 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3562251

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL
TriAya - 2011-06-22 12:58 PM

Whoops. Guess I should have checked the race website earlier ... the Bali Ocean Swim 5K is now the Bali Ocean 10K.

Good thing I've been swimming the last few weeks. Heh.

I don't even own any watch anymore, much less a digital or sports watch ... maybe I should get one before the tri this weekend.

Wait,the swim is 10K!?!?!?!?! Yiiiikes! I am so impressed. I feel like I am drowning just thinking about that. Go get 'em! 

2011-06-22 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3434942

User image

Seattle

Alright, I have another question. How do I get better LOL!! I know, that is a veeeeery general question.

So, I have put a little work into getting a solid base of fitness, now what? Is it just something that is going to come with time (this is my first season of triathlon FYI) or is there something specific I should be doing that I am not?  I plan to start adding in hill repeats (in both running and biking) and doing more open water swimming but I am totally open to having my training regimen ripped to pieces.  Just keep in mind that I will be doing marathon training simultaneously starting at the end of July...

2011-06-22 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3562251

User image

Veteran
Austin
TriAya - 2011-06-22 12:58 PM

Whoops. Guess I should have checked the race website earlier ... the Bali Ocean Swim 5K is now the Bali Ocean 10K.

Good thing I've been swimming the last few weeks. Heh.

I don't even own any watch anymore, much less a digital or sports watch ... maybe I should get one before the tri this weekend.

You are CRAZY and I love it! You approach is such a good reminder for me to have fun with this thing, training, racing, all of it. 

2011-06-22 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3559828

User image

Veteran
Austin
trainforacure - 2011-06-21 10:25 AM

So sorry I've been MIA.  Dealing with life stuff since Memorial Day.  Will be updating log this week.  CONGRATULATIONS! to all new triathletes and GOOD LUCK LYNN!!Laughing

Glad you are back!  Hope everything is going okay.

2011-06-23 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3562826

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2011-06-23 8:34 AM

Alright, I have another question. How do I get better LOL!! I know, that is a veeeeery general question.

So, I have put a little work into getting a solid base of fitness, now what? Is it just something that is going to come with time (this is my first season of triathlon FYI) or is there something specific I should be doing that I am not?  I plan to start adding in hill repeats (in both running and biking) and doing more open water swimming but I am totally open to having my training regimen ripped to pieces.  Just keep in mind that I will be doing marathon training simultaneously starting at the end of July...

Veeeeeery general answer ... T.I.T.S. !!! BIIIIIIG T.I.T.S. !!! (Isn't that the answer to everything?)

Time In The Swim/Saddle/Street.

Considering we still don't know what your training regimen actually is, can't say, but as I said we are happy to pre-emptively rip it to shreds ...

Adding in some intensity is a good idea. With a strong base, you need to keep challenging your body. Plus--whether it's a sprint tri or a marathon in which a hill appears--you will ALWAYS have periods of higher intensity in a race.

Which marathon plan are you following again? Really, that is what is going to have to be your focus.

The truth is that after a sharp improvement curve if you're starting from zero (and you're not), you don't get much faster until you've laid down a pretty big base for a few YEARS. Mostly, you just have the ability to go longer.

There are exceptions to this, like if you lose a lot of weight, or you happen to have a lot of time to focus on one sport in a given year.

2011-06-23 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3563765

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2011-06-23 11:24 AM

Veeeeeery general answer ... T.I.T.S. !!! BIIIIIIG T.I.T.S. !!! (Isn't that the answer to everything?)

Considering we still don't know what your training regimen actually is, can't say, but as I said we are happy to pre-emptively rip it to shreds ...

Adding in some intensity is a good idea. With a strong base, you need to keep challenging your body. Plus--whether it's a sprint tri or a marathon in which a hill appears--you will ALWAYS have periods of higher intensity in a race.

Which marathon plan are you following again? Really, that is what is going to have to be your focus.

The truth is that after a sharp improvement curve if you're starting from zero (and you're not), you don't get much faster until you've laid down a pretty big base for a few YEARS. Mostly, you just have the ability to go longer.

There are exceptions to this, like if you lose a lot of weight, or you happen to have a lot of time to focus on one sport in a given year.

I feared it would be something along the lines of this, damn, that requires patience! haha. But , sounds good to me!!!! Sealed  I am doing the Hal Higdon marathon plan and then just adding in the biking and swimming around per the OLY distance tri plan that is free on BT. 

2011-06-23 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3562008

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
TriAya - 2011-06-22 10:19 AM

mackjenn- 2011-06-22 7:19 AM
TriAya - 2011-06-21 10:33 AM

Jimbaran Bay where they have the Bali Tri, it depends on the day. Sometimes you get a wicked clear day there and seems you can see for kms. it's a pretty clear sand bottom (not seaweed or coral) so mostly it's schools of good eating fish there unfortunately sometimes jellyfish ... I don't think I got bitten last year, but I did the two years before.

The place near here I OWS on Sundays--it's on a reef so there's gobsmacking gorgeous sea life of all kinds.

[The place I've been training the last few weeks is a tiny island off the coast of Bali with some of the prettiest beaches, ocean, and snorkeling/diving in the world. I don't even have words to describe it--you are surrounded by so much sea life and beauty everywhere, literally surrounded, it's so dense ... and more often than not, a turtle will take you on a tour for your OWS. Just follow and paddle. ]

Sanur, Bali's center of whorehouses and black magic, I've swum there a million times (used to live there and it's where my sis lives) but TODAY when I swam there--it was a completely different world. There were TONS of fish, eels, starfish, sea worms, cucumbers, urchins ... living coral ... I've never seen it like that before or that clear, EVER. I actually swam WITH eels, not just saw them.

Figured that was the case - wish I was training there instead of the 55F green water that you can't see your fingertips in. 

Also got news my OWS spot now requires "swim buddies" - which I don't have - due to 2 incidents YTD.  I'm hopeful that they would wave this for me (swam the SF bay and did two 1 hour plus swims there already) the next time I go up - otherwise, I'll have to partner with someone.  Tough living in Pueblo with all the activities / training groups in COS and Denver.

Kind of funny item though - they clarified 2 immediate "no way you are swimming here" rules:  1)  Arrive with a divers wet suit (aparently designed to make you sink); and 2)  Coming out of the locker room with your wetsuit on backwards.

2011-06-23 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3563791

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2011-06-24 1:31 AM

I feared it would be something along the lines of this, damn, that requires patience! haha. But , sounds good to me!!!! Sealed  I am doing the Hal Higdon marathon plan and then just adding in the biking and swimming around per the OLY distance tri plan that is free on BT. 

What? Hard work and consistency over time? NOOOOOO Or you could follow the Yanti plan and just do whatever races you want whenever you want to regardless of condition or conditioning ... I guarantee vast improvements in the quantity of fun in your life (but probably trouble, too, and uh ... the Piglet Life is a little unpredictable).

Your plan, on the other hand, sounds wise. Be alert for when a major long bike also falls on the same weekend as a major long run and try to alternate them.

2011-06-23 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3564082

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2011-06-23 1:12 PM
Asalzwed - 2011-06-24 1:31 AM

What? Hard work and consistency over time? NOOOOOO Or you could follow the Yanti plan and just do whatever races you want whenever you want to regardless of condition or conditioning ... I guarantee vast improvements in the quantity of fun in your life (but probably trouble, too, and uh ... the Piglet Life is a little unpredictable).

Your plan, on the other hand, sounds wise. Be alert for when a major long bike also falls on the same weekend as a major long run and try to alternate them.

Your method sounds so much more... exhilarating Laughing That being said I made a compromise and am going to run the HALF marathon tomorrow(this was the full I was debating running.) It was sold out but I entered a contest and won free entry. Yesssssssssssssssssssss!

Thanks for all of your great (and entertaining) feedback!

2011-06-23 7:27 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

Hey Manatees,

Sooo, this week I have not been following my HIM plan because of a heavy work schedule, family visiting from Florida, and in general doing the mom stuff.  Of course mom stuff never ends...LOL.  My question is should I try to catch up on missed workouts or should I just pick up where I left off and scrap the missed workouts.  I know I probably haven't hurt my overall fitness, but it's got me anxious missing valuable workouts so close to my HIM (July).  

I can't believe it's almost July.  I'm really getting nervous.  I want to have fun and just relax about it, but I can't help it.  Thinking about each event, especially the swim has turned me into a nervous wreck!!!!   

2011-06-25 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3564073

User image

Melon Presser
mackjenn - 2011-06-24 3:08 AM

Figured that was the case - wish I was training there instead of the 55F green water that you can't see your fingertips in. 

Also got news my OWS spot now requires "swim buddies" - which I don't have - due to 2 incidents YTD.  I'm hopeful that they would wave this for me (swam the SF bay and did two 1 hour plus swims there already) the next time I go up - otherwise, I'll have to partner with someone.  Tough living in Pueblo with all the activities / training groups in COS and Denver.

Kind of funny item though - they clarified 2 immediate "no way you are swimming here" rules:  1)  Arrive with a divers wet suit (aparently designed to make you sink); and 2)  Coming out of the locker room with your wetsuit on backwards.

If it makes you feel any better, Jimbaran Bay (where the tri is tomorrow) is currently disgusting, on a good day you can see your hands, on a bad one you can't, but regardless you come out smelling like week-old mahi mahi. EEEEEW that should make for awesome post-race cuddling.

Hope you get your swim buddy deal worked out.

LOL on the wetsuits!

The tri tomorrow has exactly SIX RULES. Total. Should I be worried?

2011-06-25 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3564884

User image

Melon Presser
cggale - 2011-06-24 9:27 AM

Hey Manatees,

Sooo, this week I have not been following my HIM plan because of a heavy work schedule, family visiting from Florida, and in general doing the mom stuff.  Of course mom stuff never ends...LOL.  My question is should I try to catch up on missed workouts or should I just pick up where I left off and scrap the missed workouts.  I know I probably haven't hurt my overall fitness, but it's got me anxious missing valuable workouts so close to my HIM (July).  

I can't believe it's almost July.  I'm really getting nervous.  I want to have fun and just relax about it, but I can't help it.  Thinking about each event, especially the swim has turned me into a nervous wreck!!!!   

absolutely DO NOT try to make up the missed workouts ... you will be fine, a missed week sure won't hurt you (might even help) and you've been putting great training in. Just pick up where you left off.

I'm so excited for you!

2011-06-25 7:50 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Just another reminder that LYNN is doing her first Ironman at Coeur d'Alene, Idaho this Sunday ... ironman.com will have a live feed of the finish line as well as updates; I'll be posting Lynn's progress as the day goes on and we can catch her crossing the finish line!!!
2011-06-25 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3566745

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Hey Manatees!! Just saying hi from Coeur d'Alene Idaho. Went to the athletes meeting last night and met some BTers. Always great to see a real living human being behind these monikers and tales of victory. Thanks for all of your support. I'm just going to go out and do the best I can at each moment. Off to swim a bit more today, 15 min of bike and 15 min of run and then just chill baby, baby the rest of the day.Yanti, did I read that YOU are doing a tri tomorrow in the warm Bali waters? Have a blast and say hi to fishes (and the piglets) for me!{{{Melon Presses}}}}Lynn And, yes I'm essited and nervous and pumped and ?? READY !!
2011-06-25 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3566804

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
lmscozz - 2011-06-25 8:53 AMHey Manatees!! Just saying hi from Coeur d'Alene Idaho. Went to the athletes meeting last night and met some BTers. Always great to see a real living human being behind these monikers and tales of victory. Thanks for all of your support. I'm just going to go out and do the best I can at each moment. Off to swim a bit more today, 15 min of bike and 15 min of run and then just chill baby, baby the rest of the day.Yanti, did I read that YOU are doing a tri tomorrow in the warm Bali waters? Have a blast and say hi to fishes (and the piglets) for me!{{{Melon Presses}}}}Lynn And, yes I'm essited and nervous and pumped and ?? READY !!
Have a great race!!! I will be rooting for you.
2011-06-25 4:06 PM

User image

Veteran

lmscozz - 2011-06-25 8:53 AM Hey Manatees!! Just saying hi from Coeur d'Alene Idaho. Went to the athletes meeting last night and met some BTers. Always great to see a real living human being behind these monikers and tales of victory. Thanks for all of your support. I'm just going to go out and do the best I can at each moment. Off to swim a bit more today, 15 min of bike and 15 min of run and then just chill baby, baby the rest of the day.Yanti, did I read that YOU are doing a tri tomorrow in the warm Bali waters? Have a blast and say hi to fishes (and the piglets) for me!{{{Melon Presses}}}}Lynn And, yes I'm essited and nervous and pumped and ?? READY !!

Have a fantasic day tomorrow Lynn!! Can't wait to hear all about it!  Good luck!  GO LYNN GO!!! WOOOOHOOO!!!

2011-06-25 7:09 PM

User image

Dallas, TX

lmscozz - 2011-06-25 9:53 AM Hey Manatees!! Just saying hi from Coeur d'Alene Idaho. Went to the athletes meeting last night and met some BTers. Always great to see a real living human being behind these monikers and tales of victory. Thanks for all of your support. I'm just going to go out and do the best I can at each moment. Off to swim a bit more today, 15 min of bike and 15 min of run and then just chill baby, baby the rest of the day.Yanti, did I read that YOU are doing a tri tomorrow in the warm Bali waters? Have a blast and say hi to fishes (and the piglets) for me!{{{Melon Presses}}}}Lynn And, yes I'm essited and nervous and pumped and ?? READY !!

Good luck!

2011-06-25 7:13 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
I will be thinking positive thoughts for you tomorrow Lynn.  Good luck and enjoy your moment.
2011-06-26 11:39 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GO LYNN GOOOOO!

Steady IM swim (2.4 mi) just like a Manatee at 1:47

About 30 min in T1, but that's not unusual for a first-time IMer and I think she's changing into bike clothes.

2011-06-26 11:43 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Race didn't go so well today. Couple of crashes on the bike, 2nd one bad. Concussion and three bruised ribs.

Still finished, though (stupid stupid stupid) ... unfortunately tonight, I don't think I've ever been so miserable (and I went through four really horrendous illnesses last year) as when I'm projectile vomiting with those ribs.

2011-06-26 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3567750

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
TriAya - 2011-06-26 11:43 AM

Race didn't go so well today. Couple of crashes on the bike, 2nd one bad. Concussion and three bruised ribs.

Still finished, though (stupid stupid stupid) ... unfortunately tonight, I don't think I've ever been so miserable (and I went through four really horrendous illnesses last year) as when I'm projectile vomiting with those ribs.

Oh Yanti, I hope you're alright!!  Sorry about the rough day.  I admire your determination for finishing your race.  Of course, we probably wouldn't expect anything less from our fearless manatee leader.  Rest up and take it easy.   

2011-06-26 6:45 PM

Charlotte, North Carolina
Aw man Yanti that's awful I'm sorry.. I hope u feel better! you're such a trooper
2011-06-26 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3568093

User image

Veteran
Austin

Looks like Lynn just finished her bike (7:42) ~ looks like she is doing an amazing job!!  GO LYNN!!

Yanti- Oh no, hope you have someone with you looking over you.

2011-06-26 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3568093

User image

Veteran
Austin

Looks like Lynn just finished her bike (7:42) ~ looks like she is doing an amazing job!!  GO LYNN!!

Yanti- Oh no, hope you have someone with you looking over you.

2011-06-26 8:23 PM

User image

TriAya - 

Concussion and three bruised ribs... Still finished, though

You are my hero.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43