Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-06-05 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3533793

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
evillarroel - 2011-06-05 8:47 PM

Ok, to question no. 1 anything that helps you tuck in to a more aerodinamic position will help, clip-on aerobars included. About the second, there's many factors that could have affected, you say nutrition was nailed but did you take any salt pills or electrolytes of any kind? Usually cramping is related to a huge loss of water (with its natural proportion of sodium, magnessium, pottasium and chloride) and replaced only with water or nothing at all.

It could also be a general fitness issue but your HR indicates this is not the case, it is actually a pretty well executed effort.

Was it really hot?

Prior nite's dinner was a carbo-load, pre-ride was good amount of oatmeal, during ride were 3xGu and 1 small energy bar. Hydration was 2x plain water and 1x Nuun water (22oz each). Weather was humid but not hot. I barely broke a sweat during the entire ride. As for salt tabs, I hear conflicting opinions on those in forums. Some say its required and some say its too much sodium. 

This was probably the most prep I ever did for a ride so I am curious to understand what broke me down. Just came back from 1-hr recovery ride with some small hills and it felt like a low effort. 

General question - Does anyone else use Nuun tabs? How do you guys feel about those?

2011-06-05 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3533859

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-06-05 8:16 PM

Way to go Barry!!!!!

Jackie- As for my run...It was great!  I wanted to post earlier but we went to San Diego last night.  Scott ran the Rock and Roll marathon this am.  

I wanted to run 10 miles so I headed out early yesterday morning.  The kids told Scott I had been gone over 2 hours so he came looking for me and I stopped at 9.47miles.  There is almost always a cross wind off the water but I had a headwind.  It offered great resistance and kept my pace in check.  I didn't have and knee or arch issues...YAY!  I posted my run in both my log and included my garmin link(below) for my splits.  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90078464

I am resting today (sort of) and I want to run MON.Tue.Wed.Thur.  Taking Friday and SAt off and race Sunday.

Ernesto, what type (distance / pace) should I be looking at this week?

Shoot! your recovery is nothing short of a miracle. Jen, this week you will not gain any fitness by going long. NOTHING, your objective is to reduce the load but increase the intensity a lot. Find a track, better if it's one of those rubberized ones. Nothing should go past 3 miles but you need to manipulate intensity to the point of being exhausted at the end of the workout.

DO NOT WORRY about what I just said, some might think this dude is crazy, telling you to exhaust yourself on race week, but the kind of tired you will have is the one you recover very fast from.

Do 200M repeats (8 in one session) with a WU and a WD.

Same another day (WU and WD) but run quick 20" strides. And last, run 40 to 45 minutes on Thursday, WU for fifteen, and the one minute hard, one minute easy for a total 8 times each, then WD. Don't do anything until Saturday, where you can go and do some strides on a grassy/soft surface for no longer than fifteen minutes.

Race day, pace, pace, pace. A half is well executed at the beginning, the rest puts itself into place.

Good luck!!

2011-06-05 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3533859

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Way to go Barry!  Isn't this rocking group fun?

Jen, so glad you're run was good.  What a sweet husband to come looking for you.  Hope he did well in the marathon.  I think you two will love Colorado.

Ernesto, need guidance for my race this week.  Couldn't get to the track today so I did intervals on a relatively straight and level stretch of roadway with no traffic.  Then I went swimming.

Could you please take a look and tell me what to do for the rest of the week?  As you know, our race day is Sat. 

2011-06-05 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3533879

User image

Master
evillarroel - 2011-06-05 8:30 PM

Race day, pace, pace, pace. A half is well executed at the beginning, the rest puts itself into place.

note to self: See above quote - repeat until memorized.  Today was my first race of the year - half marathon. I started with a pace that I felt comfortable with - but ignored the fact that my HR was telling me otherwise.  Didn't work or try hard enough to slow myself down.  Course was much hillier than I expected (it's been about 20 years since I traveled on that road, and it was a warm humid day (almost all my runs have been early morning before or right at sunrise).  So- long story short - 1st six miles I killed it.  Last 7 miles I stunk up the joint.  I see at least three lessons in the above - add on that my last few weeks due to knee injury were spotty from a training perspective and it all makes sense.  All I have to show for it is a huge blister on the outside of my big toe.  Ouch.

So - learn my lessons, rededicate myself to rebuilding my aerobic base and move forward.

Edited by dangremond 2011-06-05 8:40 PM
2011-06-05 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3533879

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
:No track close but there are 2 paths at the beach.  I usually run the curvy, Up and down path but the other is straight at flat.  I can march a stretch there and run.  Part of me is wondering if I can pull off the 2 hr but my came plan is head out at a 10min/pace till 6 miles (the turn around and gel intake) then drop to 9:15 9:30 pace Does that sound right or should I head out at 9:30-9:45 and hold steady??  This will be the longest I've ever ran so I'm lost..
2011-06-05 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Expert

Mark has not been putting any pics up lately, so I thought I would.  Here's one we saw on our ride yesterday.  Top that temperature!

And then there's the shirt the little boy was wearing at IM Texas.  All parents have to love it!

(Leon High Temperature Sign Small.jpg)

(Ironman Orphan 2.jpg)

(Ironman Orphan 1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Leon High Temperature Sign Small.jpg (89KB - 12 downloads)
Ironman Orphan 2.jpg (87KB - 11 downloads)
Ironman Orphan 1.jpg (77KB - 14 downloads)

2011-06-05 9:12 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

@Ernesto, I vote for IM France!  Between the charm of the famous Cote d'Azur and the chance to make a family vacation out of your race in beautiful Paris and its surroundings, it seems like a no brainer to me Smile

Separately, I just signed up for my 2nd Oly distance tri next weekend so I would appreciate your training advise during this week (my first Oly tri a couple of months ago really pushed me, so I hope that my endurance has improved somewhat for this one). 

@the group, does anyone have problems with the chlorine in the pool and how do you deal with it?  It seems like I'm highly allergic to the chlorine and even though I now swim with a nose clip, I still become severely congested for the next 2-3 days after my swim. 

2011-06-05 9:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Thanks Jen. Nice job on your training run! Thanks Jackie. This is a great group. I've learned so much from you all. Ernesto, thanks for the encouragement and input. I'll start your suggested workout this week and report back. (posting to the forum with an IPad is a pain)

Edited by baurryman 2011-06-05 9:27 PM
2011-06-05 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3533959

User image

Expert
sirgab - 2011-06-05 9:12 PM

@the group, does anyone have problems with the chlorine in the pool and how do you deal with it?  It seems like I'm highly allergic to the chlorine and even though I now swim with a nose clip, I still become severely congested for the next 2-3 days after my swim. 

Gabriel,

I've always been plagued with a lot of allergies.  I usually rinse my nasal passages once or twice a day with saline solution.  I also put alcohol in my ears after swimming.  I don't like the nose or ear plugs.  They make me feel stuffed up.  I did look some stuff up on the net since that's my thing.

"If a person's nose becomes itchy or stuffed up after smelling chlorine fumes (such as after opening a bottle of chlorine bleach) or after coming in contact with chlorine (such as when swimming in a pool treated with it), chlorine allergy is a possible cause. However, if the chlorine was ingested in a pool through accidentally breathing in or swallowing water, the person likely has swimmer's sinusitis as opposed to an allergy.

Many people develop stuffy nose after swimming in a public pool.  This is commonly called swimmer's sinusitis and is caused by getting water into the sinuses.  The best treatment is to drink plenty of water to keep the mucus thin and allow the sinusitis to drain properly.  Some people find that using a nasal spray after swimming will also relieve some of the symptoms.  If the problem continues then see a healthcare professional because a persistent sinus infection could lead to a more serious problem.

You can also boil water and inhale the steam."

Congrats on signing up for the Oly.

2011-06-05 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3533935

User image

Master
Dallas

jenputnam - 2011-06-05 8:54 PM :No track close but there are 2 paths at the beach.  I usually run the curvy, Up and down path but the other is straight at flat.  I can march a stretch there and run.  Part of me is wondering if I can pull off the 2 hr but my came plan is head out at a 10min/pace till 6 miles (the turn around and gel intake) then drop to 9:15 9:30 pace Does that sound right or should I head out at 9:30-9:45 and hold steady??  This will be the longest I've ever ran so I'm lost..
On race day what you should do is start EASY and start picking up as you feel, last four miles should be the fastest. Better way to gauge is HR, keep it low, conversational for two miles and start picking up slowly.

Check out my last half:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58860076

As you can see there's a big gap between the first and second mile (40"). That's what you're looking for but you should do it for at least two. For me, the first mile I chatted with a guy next to me (that's the kind of effort you should be putting out). At mile 9, I couldn't talk any more, it was all about running hard.

2011-06-05 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3533954

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-06-05 9:08 PM

Mark has not been putting any pics up lately, so I thought I would.  Here's one we saw on our ride yesterday.  Top that temperature!

And then there's the shirt the little boy was wearing at IM Texas.  All parents have to love it!

Well, it is certainly hot around that part of Texas! really funny that poor kid, he is still looking for dad I guess...

2011-06-05 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3533959

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-06-05 9:12 PM

@Ernesto, I vote for IM France!  Between the charm of the famous Cote d'Azur and the chance to make a family vacation out of your race in beautiful Paris and its surroundings, it seems like a no brainer to me Smile

Separately, I just signed up for my 2nd Oly distance tri next weekend so I would appreciate your training advise during this week (my first Oly tri a couple of months ago really pushed me, so I hope that my endurance has improved somewhat for this one). 

Then France it will be by unanimous decision by the group! Shoot, it will be so close to my birthday that I will consider that my present for my 39th year on this earth.

About your training, let me think about it tomorrow morning and I'll shoot you an email or post here.

2011-06-05 10:20 PM

User image

Regular
Jackie, that is the most awesome shirt. Hopefully they are still making it in 5-10yrs from now. Laughing

Barry how is the riding around suburbs? I lived in Chicago for a several years. Miss the city (not the weather). However I always lived along N. Lake Shore Dr so even casual riding was on one of the busiest trails on the planet but next to the lake.
Did you Bike The Drive this year? 
2011-06-05 11:03 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Jackie, the pictures are awesome! Love the T-sirt!!! And 'home of the cougars' has to be hot... Cool

Barry, congratulations!

Ernesto, I envy you now... better start with your basic French, monsieur.

Group, you guys have all been very active and making great progress!!! (I better get my act together...)

Edited by markz 2011-06-06 3:11 AM
2011-06-06 6:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
ironbaby - 2011-06-05 10:20 PM Jackie, that is the most awesome shirt. Hopefully they are still making it in 5-10yrs from now. Laughing

Barry how is the riding around suburbs? I lived in Chicago for a several years. Miss the city (not the weather). However I always lived along N. Lake Shore Dr so even casual riding was on one of the busiest trails on the planet but next to the lake.
Did you Bike The Drive this year? 

Riding in the burbs is not bad if you get up early before the traffic. There are mixed bike routes out here (about 60% dedicated bike lane and the rest proposed but still in traffic) I mainly go to several of the forest preserves out here. My favorite is an 8 mile loop that's close to work. My bike lives in my car now!

I didn't do "bike the drive" only because I had a 10K planned for the next day.

2011-06-06 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey Ernesto, saw on the disco race page you're doing the disco sprint.  Me too!  Maybe see you there, but only if you hang around the finish line for a while!  Like the France idea, and I'll bet your family does too.

Jackie, contgrats on your new job.  Think you might do the disco?  We'd probably be in the same swim wave, so maybe even get to meet you.

Hey Barry, glad to see you still going after it!  Keep up the good work.

2011-06-06 2:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Ran 3 miles today.  Felt good.  Ran the first mile and a half at a 10:48 pace but it is a slow incline.  Ran the next at some faster paces, dropping under 8 and then slowing a bit to under 9and so forth.  I stopped the watch at 3 miles and than walked home..... Felt good and had a good headwind coming back so that was good as well.  

Doing some nail painting and I noticed my toenails had turned black from the prior swelling last week (happened before in college. Bad soccer shoes then).  So I made a phone call.  I'm lucky that one of my best friends is a doctor and on speed dial for questions and concerns....I just never use it until after the fact!  I explained everything that happened leading up to what I termed a minor injury from over compensating and explained how swollen my toes were.  His best advice was to call my personal Dr tomorrow and get into a podiatrist, as well as stay off my feet until someone looks at them.  His concern is that they are infected and although I have no pain...I will have a bigger problem if I push...  He threatened to call my Mom and my Husband if I don't see a Dr this week!  Gotta love that!!!!

Here is my run anyway.....http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90642299

2011-06-06 3:04 PM

User image

Houston, Texas

Hi all!  I'm back!  Great trip to NY, saw the wife sing at Carnegie Hall which was very cool.  Then she was on retreat and I had the kids for an extended weekend, so my training has been kaput.  I'm back on it starting today, adding some nutritional goals to it as well.

Three questions: 

First: I'm going to get new clipless pedals for my road bike.  At the same time I'm going to see if the shop will also put on the Garmen cadence sensor.  Any recommendations on pedals or shoes?  I was just going to go with the bike shop recommendations, but wanted to see if you guys had any opinions.

Second: I'm going slow on the run to build the aerobic base.  With all the talk about natural running, seems like now might be the ideal time for me to switch shoes since I'll be building up for a while.  Would you agree?  I never really considered doing that kind of shoe before, but if it is a better long-term option, maybe now is the right time.

Third: I didn't do the Tejas Tri on Sunday.  I had started this year with a goal of finishing in the top half of my age group in some race this year, but obviously that was the wrong goal for me.  So what should I be shooting for?  I mean, if this is day 1, how soon should I try to do a race, and what kind of results should I be trying for?  I'm just having a little trouble defining my goals at this point.  Again, any recommendations appreciated.

Glad to see everyone's progress and nice to be back! (BTW, I definitely would have voted for France!)

Mike

2011-06-06 3:20 PM

User image

Expert

Carol Not sure about the Disco.  Have to see how the move goes.  The Metroplex is this Saturday.  I'll be in town Friday night.  Maybe you can have dinner with us?

Jen Glad your run went well.  My toenails used to be black everytime my horse stepped on them Frown.  I would definitely get it checked out though.

Mike That's awesome about your wife.  What kind of singing does she do?  I was thinking about you and wondering if you did the Tejas.  I think that was a good decision for you.  I was at Academy the other day with my daughter.  I am amazed that they have a whole aisle of minimal type running/walking shoes now.  I guess Born to Run affected the running shoe industry also.

Mitch So sorry that your run didn't workout the way you planned.  I like this aerobic base stuff.  I feel like I could train forever that way.  Maffetone has really changed my life and I am so excited to see progress.  I hope it works that way for you too.  BTW, where are you from again?

Ernesto Can I come to France and watch? I might even have enough vacation by then.

Ironbaby Like your avatar.  What is your real name?

Hope everyone is having an awesome day.  I'm pitching and sorting and getting ready to move.  Oh, I did cut the grass today before it got to 95 degrees.  Can I put that down as training?  I had to drink two bottles of Gatorade, so it should count for something.

2011-06-06 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3535465

User image

Master

Jackie:

Thanks for the comments.  I hail from Michigan and my heat is no where like your heat.  All my training from March on, due to our long winter and cold spring, was in temps pretty much 55 and below with no real humidity.  So, a little bit of heat and humidity was a big change. 

On the heart rate front I train with the 5 HR zones and will be focusing on mid zone 2 for all of my runs for the next 4 weeks.  After that I plan to add in one day of speed and then progress from there.

My training volume was no where near where it should have been from a long run perspective and no clue that the course was hillier than anything I've run.  I paid the price.  As long as I learn from my mistakes it will be worth it.

-Mitch 

2011-06-06 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

@ Mitch...  Sorry your race didn't go as planned.  I think we are all learning so much on here, that good things are to come of it!

@ Jackie...  I am trying to get an appt on Wed...  Running not recommended until then.  It's not the injury but the healing.  I will most likely lose both toenails and there lies the problem....The healing.  Doing a half will put to much pressure on the nail bed and could hinder the repair and prevent a nail growing back correctly and cause additional pressure and pain.  A podiatrist may very well saw it's fine go run though...I'll see.  How is your training going this week?

@ Mike... I second Jackie's comment about your wife.  That is really cool!!!!  

@ Ernesto...  I'll jump on the bandwagon with everyone else with France.  I should know at the end of the month if we are looking at IM UK....  If not the states have tons of 1/2 IM that I will be sure to find one.  I have been looking at training plans....  Depending how this toe issue goes I need to start building a base to be able to start the base phase of training next year.  Also looked at where our house is there.  It is at 7000'!  Lots of good hills and a nice ultra long trail to run.  Not to mention the roads around the house will have very little traffic  and seem to be nice long stretches from the maps.  Won't know milage until we are actually there though.

Whatever happens I know it's not the end and there are other races.  Colorado will bring many new adventures and lots of time to build a solid strong base!!!

2011-06-06 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3535465

User image

Regular
jdiis - 2011-06-06 4:20 PM

Alright I'll stop being my usual nerdy self in that case.  

My name is Aki. I might have missed the f/b bus but hopefully never too late. Nice to meet ya'll. :-

facebook - [email protected] 

Umm... I think this would be a good time to mention, I have a metric century ride next weekend. Time limit 3.5hrs. Its draft legal but I am solo so no benefit for me. Ernesto, markz, all other endurance riders... tips, suggestions? Route below:

http://www.mapmyride.com/s/event/cycling/virginia/arlington/313858

Gotta do 8-laps of this circuit. Hoping to survive.... 

Edited by ironbaby 2011-06-06 6:35 PM
2011-06-06 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3535837

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

I added you Aki...

Anyone else miss the Facebook post...So we can see the you outside of non stop training...  Do we do anything else other than train?  Mine is [email protected]  or Jennie Putnam

2011-06-06 7:06 PM
in reply to: #3535837

User image

Expert
ironbaby - 2011-06-06 6:30 PM
jdiis - 2011-06-06 4:20 PM

Alright I'll stop being my usual nerdy self in that case.  

My name is Aki. I might have missed the f/b bus but hopefully never too late. Nice to meet ya'll. :-

facebook - [email protected] 

Umm... I think this would be a good time to mention, I have a metric century ride next weekend. Time limit 3.5hrs. Its draft legal but I am solo so no benefit for me. Ernesto, markz, all other endurance riders... tips, suggestions? Route below:

http://www.mapmyride.com/s/event/cycling/virginia/arlington/313858

Gotta do 8-laps of this circuit. Hoping to survive.... 

Hi Aki,

Those are my old stomping grounds.  You in the military? I used to work at Bolling AFB.  As I recall, Crystal City is pretty flat.  You need to average 18 MPH to finish under the time limit.  Since you look young and you're male, 18 MPH should be a piece of cake for you.  I'm assuming you're on a road bike.  Just get behind somebody bigger than you that's riding about 21 MPH and you'll be fine.  You don't have to know them to draft off of them Innocent  Sometimes you can get behind a whole pack of people.

FWIW, my first metric century was the Armadillo Hill Country Classic in the hill country of Texas.  I swear there was this one hill that went straight up.  Half the people were walking their bikes.  I was pretty new to clip-in pedals and didn't know about zig zagging up the hill when I ran out of gears.  Needless to say, I found myself on the ground with one foot still clipped in.  I had to brush off my pride and climb back on that horse, I mean bike.  Thank goodness, I've learned a lot since then.

2011-06-06 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3535895

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Jackie...  You will have to take a trip to visit me once I'm in CO.  My husband used to live there and he's been telling me about the hills.  We found a few rides that I may be able to do by September..  A few I won't be doing the first year have 2000' climbs!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84