BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-02-09 6:18 PM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.
Good job Ken, but you really should take in some water with the GU.  Otherwise the fluid to digest it comes from your blood and such..... leads towards dehydration...

2013-02-10 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: ARE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.
Quick check in - blizzard left us with no power, heat, phone. 42 in our house this AM. Moving to in laws to at least cook and a bit of heat. Tuesday for power restore. Zippo training as u may suspect other than shoveling and shivering.
2013-02-10 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Mike D, I hope your power's back on.  Keeping you and your family in my prayers.  

Went for a ride today on my road bike.  Normally not a big deal, but I hadn't ridden it in a couple of months and I changed the rear tire and didn't really test it.  Bad idea.  It didn't work.  Had a bad tire rub, chain kept slipping and it ended up being "the worse ride ever".  15 miles in 90 minutes.  Torture.  

Needless to say as soon as I was back home, I repair the chain and tire.  Too frustrated to go back out immediately but I will tomorrow.  

2013-02-10 7:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Mike, so sorry.  Stay warm and be safe.  Praying for all of you.

Ken, I think it's been said before but do not say 20 miles is great.  Hun, I looked at your log and hubby and I laughed.  Oh course you felt great after 20 miles because you did it so flipping fast that the pain didn't have time to find you.  I hope you know that I'm saying this from total and complete awe - as well as jealousy. So sorry about the bike ride today tho.

Stu, don't give bettie a capital - it makes her harder to get rid of.  bob is not capitalized because I don't want that pain in my back to hang around.  Good job on the 9 miler!!

The 4 separate bike rides yesterday just did me in.  Major problems with bob today.  Then spent over 4 hours at a rental today and I have no more energy to hop on the trainer tonight.  Did at least spend 1 hour playing tennis with my son today.  I'm horrible and it infuriates me that I can't make the plays that I could make 30+ years ago.  But watching his face laughing at my ineptitude is priceless.

I'll be busy with son's baseball for the next few days so I hope all have a great week.  Oh Carol, for the crunch challenge, put me down for 41 of 41.

2013-02-10 11:20 PM

User image

Veteran

Pam - your post from several days ago had me laughing out loud - thanks! I copied the comments that stuck out. Way to go on your Mary PR. I'm so glad you finished strong because that really helps the walking away process. And grats to your hubby too. So on the faster turn over you can keep your arms from burning out by applying less pressure on the pull. I sometimes bend my wrists backwards (hand position like doing a push up) so less pressure is applied to my shoulders/lat muscles. There are other ways to apply less pressure. But building those fast twitch muscles will benefit you in the long run, whcih I'm sure you already know. And I'm the exact same about absorbing info. Feel free to ask again rather than always going back through. Steve is a bit of a broken record on some things and I'm thankful he is so willing to be!

Steve, you so crack me up describing bonking.  I remember day early in training where I really lots in on nutrition and I wanted to lie beside the road, thumb in mouth, curl up in the fetl position, and baw like a baby.

Samantha, love the description of the retarded side of your body.  I think I've got two retarded sides.

So the retarded feeling in the pool just keeps gettting...better, er um, more retarded. Not sure. But last week we worked on rotation/balance. Let's just say in a matter of seconds it became very clear I have a weak core. I'm learning so much about how I don't swim correctly, but I'm really enjoying it.

Carol - I didn't even watch one second of the super bowl What's the name of the book you are reading? You're training is reaching epic proportions this year. I really look forward to hearing about your Mary.

Mike - you and Steve are crazy at-home working guys. Always training and completing huge home projects. I'm always impressed!

Mitch - I'm constantly looking for the parallels! Wow Mitch, you are getting back in and that is so awesome! I'm so glad you were able to get the healing necessary to train while NOT losing the motivation. Not easy to do. So glad the group has helped you with that! Looking forward to following your journey. No sleep is NO good. Hoping all gets better at your house.

Fred - Great job in January!

Steve - so happy to hear you got in a five mile run.

Ken - Carol is right about 'great' and '18 miles' being in the same sentence...bravo. That race is coming right up! 20 mile run, really? I'll be there soon, I hope.

Cheryl - Excited about your marathon! 17 days!!! Love the quote.

Jay - for some people in this group your 8:38 pace may be slow, which is really irrelevant; however, have you seen my run pace? My 8 mile run the other day was a 12:12/mile. Point being, excellent job!

There are people and stories I did not respond to. That's what happens when I don't check in regularly, but I'm sure stoked about every one of you having successful training on so many different levels happening.

My second build phase is starting out pretty good. I missed two short run this week. Had to do some schedule adjust due to weather and I had a sleepless night and training the next day took a back seat. But I got all my swimming and biking in. My arms were spent this morning for my 2400 swim. It was all I could do to keep going at a decent pace; turned out to be a good endurance swim with no stopping. Biking is getting a bit faster for me on the trainer, but only a bit. STill can't really maintain 15mph rides on anything over about  8 miles. I look at it as major strength building for my legs. Swim coach is teaching me almost too much, but I know its gonna pay off. Had dreams all night last night about race day and I had forgotten things and was running late for everything - it was more like a nightmare.

Anyway, happy training this week!

2013-02-11 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Power finally back on last night about 11. Wife & I went back to our house (were @ in-laws) and cranked the heat, dumped the contents of our fridge, and generally cleaned up a bit. Hopefully get things a bit back to normal starting tonight. And now that I have light & power, can hopefully get back at this whole training thing.

Not a weekend I really want to relive anytime soon.

2013-02-11 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Crunch Challenge Update

It's crunch time!  How goes the cruch challenge?  Add your update to the list below as you gaze at your navel and see those abs of steel emerging!

Pam - 41/41

Carol - 41/41

2013-02-11 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Wow, Mike, so glad you have power back on!  I guess times like that are a good time for family bonding, but otherwise pretty much suck.  Do you have a wood stove?  I'm thinking that and/or a generator would really be nice to have.

Samantha, great to hear from you!  re: not watching the superbowl...that confirms it...we are long lost sisters!  Great job on the training.  I suspect the biking speed will come along for you once you can get back outside after grinding it out on the trainer.  Sounds like you have found a great swim coach!  Just don't let those running shoes collect dust .  Oh, the book is called "A New Way of Living: Practicing the Beatitudes Every Day" (Gene Wilkes).  I'm so glad that "Blessed are the ones who have it all together" is NOT one of them .

Stu, I've always thought breast strokers were scary (after getting kicked in the face in my first OWS tri), but yep, the butterfly just looks violent!  Hope that cold virus passed on through by now.  LOL on naming betty.

Pam, wow, you rebounded really nicely from that cold!  Maybe that rest was some silver lining from the family crud.  Hang in there with the clipless pedals...it does become second nature after some time, and usually a couple of slow/zero speed tip overs.  Hope the rental clean up is behind you now, and that bob simmers down!

Mitch, hope your sleep cycles have been a bit better the last few days.  My hat is off to you juggling family, business and training!

Ken, glad you got the bike cobwebs out!  Bouncing back from your marathon with great runs is a testament to the fitness you have built up.  You are bouncy like Tigger

Steve, how are things going for you on the rehab and rebuild front?

Had a really strong 12 mile run on Saturday.  It was one of those low motivation mornings, but once I got out there, I just felt great.  A little taste of more rested legs I'm guessing.  So last week was 80% of normal volume, this week will be 60%.  Need to stay away from the $#@& refrigerator!  My one real regret this go-round is that I weigh 8-10 lbs above my "feel great" running weight.  Something about just running seems to make it so hard for me to shed weight.  I think it's called outeating your training, and I'm apparently quite good at it! 

2013-02-11 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Glad you got your power back Mike!  As I told you in PM, we lost ours from Fri night at about 10:30 until Sunday morning at 5:30.  I felt that cold and it wasn't a good feeling.  Nobody in our family had power so my wife and kids hunkered down while I went back and forth to work.  No exercise and bad eating has me yearning for some normalcy starting tomorrow.

I'm glad the rest of you are keeping on!  I can live vicariously through you all until the rest of my town gets power and my stir crazy kids get back to school!

2013-02-11 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Wow is it hard to keep up with this group.  Lots of stuff going on...

I'm thinking about back problems people are having.  I love how you name them!  When I first started training I was a big heal striker.  Every 9 months I would throw my back out.  All the pounding was taking a toll.  I switched to Newtons a few years ago and now run with a mid foot strike and all my back problems have gone away.  I actually trained injury free for a good 2 years until I broke my foot.  (Just a thought... I know everyone is different...) (also I broke all my PR's after I started mid footing..)  It's a long road for some people so if you are interested please do some research to make sure it is for you.

Also, all this Physical therapy has made me feel much more complete in my fitness. 
What I mean is I feel more in balance, have been working on my core and I feel stronger than I have ever felt.  Even though  I am not close to the shape I was in before the injury, I feel I will be able to surpass where I was.

Mike D - Glad things have gotten better and you are home!

Ken, I'm jealous.  My 2.5 mile run today felt like 20!  Can't wait to start logging miles again!  I feel you on that bike ride.  I did Ironman California last March and I had 3 flats!!!  Very frustrating...

Stu - nice 9 miler.  Hope the foot is ok.  I  cringe every time I hear about PF and foot problems...

Samantha - funny, funny dream.  Crazy how this stuff slips into our unconscious!  I now am an OCD preparer.  I start organizing my races WAY before to try and keep those dreams at bay!

Pam - the clip-less will come... practice make perfect!

Carol, Great job!  Your training is epic!

I did a 3.5 mile run an Sat... with some walking and stretching, 2.5 mile run today.  first time with no stopping.  Felt like 20 but I  am on my way.  I thought the motivation was going to be a problem but so far it has not been.  Patience will be my virtue.  I just need to get out there and  get my base back.  Going to be a long year but I'm ready for it!!!  Foot feels good!

Oh and still no sleep.  Maybe 3 hours last night... Luckily I am self employed and it is my slow season so Hopefully I can grab a cat nap at lunch! 

Physical therapy in an hour then winter cycling program day 15 this eve!

2013-02-11 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I'm going to try to get on the bike for a while tonight. I'm a little concerned about my rocky training schedule so far, and while I have 4+ months until my HIM, I think I'm going to need them all to be ready. Road conditions look favorable for a YakTrax tryout tomorrow AM.

Mitch - glad you are feeling better.

Pam -- falling over with clipless is like your initiation to the club.

2013-02-12 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey group!

Jay, sure hope things get sorted out and back to normal sooner rather than later.  Those types of things tend to bring priorities into sharper focus.

Mitch, I hear you on the balance thing.  I think the older I get, the more I see the benefit in that.  Just hard to keep up with all the "maintenance".  Hope you get something resembling a good night's sleep!

Mike, how were the yak trax?

This morning is mid 40's and raining + dangerous fugitive escaped last night 5 miles from here, stabbing a deputy in the process.  Pre-school I usually run by is on lockdown.  Hmmm...think I'll wait until later on the run. 

2013-02-12 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Didn't make it out this AM due to just being wiped out and needing the sleep. Will go out tonight for a quick run, and be happy with that. Lots of stuff going on, and my wife just called to say our hot water heater is now leaking, so the fun goes on and on.
2013-02-12 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
I needed to write and tell people who understand that I had the most aweful trainer ride last night. Everything hurt more than other times and I simply didn't have motivation. I did manage to finish the ride, 44miles, but barely. Here's to hoping next week is better. After work I'll be off for mile 10 mile long run.

2013-02-12 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4619225

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

anthalynn - 2013-02-12 12:39 PM I needed to write and tell people who understand that I had the most aweful trainer ride last night. Everything hurt more than other times and I simply didn't have motivation. I did manage to finish the ride, 44miles, but barely. Here's to hoping next week is better. After work I'll be off for mile 10 mile long run.

A 44 mile ride on a trainer?  You are a rock star.  That's awesome.  Congrats.

2013-02-12 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4619269

User image

Expert
kmatt318 - 2013-02-12 2:01 PM

anthalynn - 2013-02-12 12:39 PM I needed to write and tell people who understand that I had the most aweful trainer ride last night. Everything hurt more than other times and I simply didn't have motivation. I did manage to finish the ride, 44miles, but barely. Here's to hoping next week is better. After work I'll be off for mile 10 mile long run.

X2 Way to go!

2013-02-12 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

anthalynn - 2013-02-12 12:39 PM I did manage to finish the ride, 44miles.

There, I left the important part for you to focus on.  As Ken said, you are a a rock star, and did not quit even when it was so tempting.  Great practice, mental and physical, for your race!

2013-02-12 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
I tip my virtual hat to you Samantha!  Great job getting done what you didn't want to do but needed to do!
2013-02-12 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

anthalynn - 2013-02-12 1:39 PM I needed to write and tell people who understand that I had the most aweful trainer ride last night. Everything hurt more than other times and I simply didn't have motivation. I did manage to finish the ride, 44miles, but barely. Here's to hoping next week is better. After work I'll be off for mile 10 mile long run.

Your my today's hero, Samantha!  Great job!

2013-02-12 7:45 PM
in reply to: #4619354

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
KateTri1 - 2013-02-12 2:40 PM

X2 Way to go!

x1000.  And then a 10 miler after work?  TOTAL ROCK STAR!  Ok, that settles it.  I've had a long hard day but if Sam can do 44 miles on a trainer, I'm gonna get my butt on it for 30 min before bed.

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

X2 Way to go!

x1000.  And then a 10 miler after work?  TOTAL ROCK STAR!  Ok, that settles it.  I've had a long hard day but if Sam can do 44 miles on a trainer, I'm gonna get my butt on it for 30 min before bed.

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

X2 Way to go!

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

X2 Way to go!

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

X2 Way to go!

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

X2 Way to go!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52