BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-30 8:31 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by Chunga

Anybody else check out this thread in Triathlon talk?

I have tried some of this during my swims this week and I have liked the results.
I suppose I have relaxed enough to 'trust' that I can breathe just by turning and not lifting my head.
I haven't even had my whole mouth out of the water and am breathing fine most of the time, breathing through part of my mouth.
I even breathed through/around water in my mouth a few times.

Another thing that helped was concentrating on a controlled exhale as soon as my face is back facing down. I was holding my breath at times then exhaling fast when I realized I hadn't done that.
My effort seemed much less to accomplish my swims this week.

Since I've ramped up my swim training, I've noticed that I don't swim that much faster. However, like you mentioned, I can now swim at a faster rate with much less effort. About halfway through my last two race swims, I consciously noticed that I was holding a pace that I could easily hold for awhile, but I was still going at a pace that I was happy with. For me, that's always really been the goal. I don't think I'll ever swim fast enough to keep up with the big dogs, but I like that I can swim at a comfortable effort-level and still hit a pace I'm happy with.

Randy, I'm glad to hear that you can race this weekend! Your wounds remind me of that year Chrissie Wellington won Kona with the rash all over her legs. *ouch*

As far as doing anything more than peeing on a bike, it's time for a pit stop. End of story.

2013-05-30 8:32 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Half Marathon for me on Sunday morning. Tough, hilly course. Not sure how hard I want to do this with Mt Tremblant 70.3 only three weeks away.
2013-05-30 8:53 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

New user
First tri for me Sunday! Wild Rose womens tri in Oak Ridge TN.

300 swim, 10 bike and 2.4 or 3 mile run. Web site says one thing and email today said another so mystery run.

I am going to scout out the bike and run Saturday and do a short bike ride.

I am very excited.

Good luck guys with all the upcoming weekend events, or training if that is on your agenda.

Mary
2013-05-30 10:46 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Yes it has been an interesting day in this group, no racing this weekend my next tri is in about two months, we are doing a group brick Saturday morning and that usually turns into a race. Good luck everyone I'll defiantly trynoutnthe live tracking this weekend.
2013-05-31 4:51 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Good luck Jason, Mary, Jamie, Nate, Melissa and Randy!! Go represent! We'll be here cheering you all on!

I don't have a race but my big MS Fundraiser ride is Sunday. It's going to be 90 degrees and humid. URGH. I think we've decided to do the 50 mile route but start with the 100s at 7am to beat some of the heat. We'll see.

My wetsuit arrives today too so I'm hoping to get to the lake tomorrow am. Pics to follow.

Have a good day all.
MBC
2013-05-31 7:29 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Wow, we have a lot of racers this weekend! Good luck Mary, Melissa and Randy!
Randy, way to race whilst tore up, probably makes you look super bada$$!

2013-05-31 7:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Double Post!

Edited by leechj 2013-05-31 8:06 AM
2013-05-31 8:00 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nate/Jamie-thought of another thing about your race. If you have a headwind for a portion of the bike try to keep your effort level consistent rather than pushing hard through the headwind to maintain a goal speed. Don't worry about your speed at that point just focus on keeping your effort level even throughout. I hate headwinds and struggle with keeping my power even.  You will feel great on the bike early be patient...you want to feel great when you finish it as well. Remember you will still half a HM ahead of you. You will both do well. Training has been consistent and strong and you are more than ready!

Mary-hope you have a great day with your race. So excited to see how much progress you have made. Have fun....I know you will!

Melissa-can't imagine how much fun it would be to race at Hawaii.

Jason-its a run so I know you will crush it!

Going to try to swim today at lunch. Put a big Tegaderm patch on my shoulder and it is suppose to be water proof. Pretty amazing stuff. Looks like I have a big square of Saran wrap over my road rash.

Edited by slornow 2013-05-31 8:04 AM
2013-05-31 8:40 AM

Hudson Valley Region
You're not hard core unless you pee on your trainer!
2013-05-31 8:42 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

What an active bunch this weekend!   Best of luck to Jason, Mary, Jamie, Nate, Melissa and Randy.   We look forward to the race reports!

No race for me this weekend, but I'm looking to get some good training in this weekend - only 2 weeks until the Oly.  Took it a bit easy this week as I've had lingering soreness from the HM.    I was hoping to get a good ride in this morning, but I woke up at 5:15 and heard a massive thunderclap at 5:16.  So back in bed at 5:17.  Laughing     Will see if I can shift it to evening instead.

Scott.

Edited by Hoos 2013-05-31 8:42 AM
2013-05-31 8:52 AM
in reply to: thirdstation

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by thirdstation You're not hard core unless you pee on your trainer!

HaHa! I've had some bike workouts on the trainer where I've been drooling...does that count? I always joke that if you do a 20 minute power test on the bike correctly, at the end of the test, you will be leaking fluids from at least 2 orifices and you don't get to choose which ones. Crude, I know but thats how I feel when doing those tests! 

2013-05-31 9:38 AM

Hudson Valley Region
Have a great weekend all you racers!!

I have my first tri of the season tomorrow. I have no idea what to expect. Well, I do kind of. I expect to be pretty slow.

This will be the seventh time I'm running this race. If I somehow beat last year's time of 1:35:03 then I'll be happy. My intention, as usual, is to run the race I trained for - that is, stay just at the top of my comfort zone. However slow that is.

On another note, I took advantage of the price drop on Garmins and purchased a 310XT. It is truly, as they say, a boat anchor of a watch :-) Although I was hesitant at buying old technology I read some reviews (particularly the ones at http://www.dcrainmaker.com/)and decided that it's worth a shot. Now that I have the 310XT I look at it as buying proven technology. If I get a few years of use out if it then I'll have gotten my utility.

I got the HR strap with it so now I can track my HR on the bike. My older HRM was the analog type and didn't play nice with my wireless bike computer.

I sense a rabbit hole of tech goodness nearby. I am going to try it out today on an easy, pre-race bike ride.

Wishing a dry race day for you all! Only 20% chance of thundershowers for me tomorrow.

-Mark

2013-05-31 1:05 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by thirdstation Have a great weekend all you racers!! I have my first tri of the season tomorrow. I have no idea what to expect. Well, I do kind of. I expect to be pretty slow. This will be the seventh time I'm running this race. If I somehow beat last year's time of 1:35:03 then I'll be happy. My intention, as usual, is to run the race I trained for - that is, stay just at the top of my comfort zone. However slow that is. On another note, I took advantage of the price drop on Garmins and purchased a 310XT. It is truly, as they say, a boat anchor of a watch :-) Although I was hesitant at buying old technology I read some reviews (particularly the ones at http://www.dcrainmaker.com/)and decided that it's worth a shot. Now that I have the 310XT I look at it as buying proven technology. If I get a few years of use out if it then I'll have gotten my utility. I got the HR strap with it so now I can track my HR on the bike. My older HRM was the analog type and didn't play nice with my wireless bike computer. I sense a rabbit hole of tech goodness nearby. I am going to try it out today on an easy, pre-race bike ride. Wishing a dry race day for you all! Only 20% chance of thundershowers for me tomorrow. -Mark

Good luck on your race!  For what it is worth, I still use my 310XT and love it.

2013-05-31 1:05 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by thirdstation Have a great weekend all you racers!! I have my first tri of the season tomorrow. I have no idea what to expect. Well, I do kind of. I expect to be pretty slow. This will be the seventh time I'm running this race. If I somehow beat last year's time of 1:35:03 then I'll be happy. My intention, as usual, is to run the race I trained for - that is, stay just at the top of my comfort zone. However slow that is. On another note, I took advantage of the price drop on Garmins and purchased a 310XT. It is truly, as they say, a boat anchor of a watch :-) Although I was hesitant at buying old technology I read some reviews (particularly the ones at http://www.dcrainmaker.com/)and decided that it's worth a shot. Now that I have the 310XT I look at it as buying proven technology. If I get a few years of use out if it then I'll have gotten my utility. I got the HR strap with it so now I can track my HR on the bike. My older HRM was the analog type and didn't play nice with my wireless bike computer. I sense a rabbit hole of tech goodness nearby. I am going to try it out today on an easy, pre-race bike ride. Wishing a dry race day for you all! Only 20% chance of thundershowers for me tomorrow. -Mark

What is the deal with double posts???? 

Edited by SSMinnow 2013-05-31 1:06 PM
2013-05-31 1:41 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by thirdstation

On another note, I took advantage of the price drop on Garmins and purchased a 310XT. It is truly, as they say, a boat anchor of a watch :-) Although I was hesitant at buying old technology I read some reviews (particularly the ones at http://www.dcrainmaker.com/)and decided that it's worth a shot. Now that I have the 310XT I look at it as buying proven technology. If I get a few years of use out if it then I'll have gotten my utility.

-Mark

I jumped on the sale too and got the 910. Although I'm feeling incredibly guilty about it so it's still in the box
2013-05-31 1:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

-Mark

I jumped on the sale too and got the 910. Although I'm feeling incredibly guilty about it so it's still in the box

I wish I'd waited a little longer because I got the 310xt a couple months ago! If I'd known there was going to be such a big price drop, I would've waited and gotten the 910. However, I love my 310, so there's not much to complain about.

2013-05-31 1:52 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

I wish I'd waited a little longer because I got the 310xt a couple months ago! If I'd known there was going to be such a big price drop, I would've waited and gotten the 910. However, I love my 310, so there's not much to complain about.

Whenever I buy something like that I always try to get it from REI because they'll pretty much take anything back at any time for any reason.

I have an almost brand new 210 in the limited edition white and green......that didn't come from REI - it was a birthday gift. Hence the guilt.......
2013-05-31 2:12 PM

Hudson Valley Region
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Whenever I buy something like that I always try to get it from REI because they'll pretty much take anything back at any time for any reason.

I have an almost brand new 210 in the limited edition white and green......that didn't come from REI - it was a birthday gift. Hence the guilt.......

Need I remind you that you have two wrists? :-)

2013-05-31 2:14 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Need I remind you that you have two wrists? :-)

that's what I love about this group. We're always there for each other!
2013-05-31 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Good luck, racers!! Kick some butt and tell us all about it when you're done.

I want a fancy shmancy Garmin.

No racing for me. I'm up at the butt crack of dawn to make some cash money selling chili for Air Guard families. Be jealous!

Have a great Friday.
2013-05-31 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Good luck to all the racers out there especially to the ones that are competing in their first triathlon. I will try to track as much as possible and thought it might be a good idea to put the bib numbers and names in this post again. I can't wait for all your race reports. I have my first HIM coming up in October. I am doing HIM Austin and can't wait to use your experiences to make it a great race. 

Jamie Roszel bib#1845

James Leech bib#1799

Melissa Dymond bib#1889. 

It is also the last day of the month and I am done with my workouts for today. Here are my numbers for the month. From here on out they will be going up. 

Swim:6h 49m 47s - 22040.42 Yd

Bike:18h 42m 32s - 307.89 Mi

Run: 5h 10m - 31.52 Mi

Edited by d3term1ned 2013-05-31 5:45 PM

2013-05-31 6:09 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

Master
South Alabama

Training numbers for the month. One race and build into HIM on June 9. Missing a whole week of swimming and several bike and run workouts due to the crash probably kept it from being one of my biggest bike/run months. Oh well, my coach said I wrecked at a "good" time as all of the hard work for Eagleman was pretty much done...

swim 11h 00m 21s  - 35100.00 Yd
bike  22h 17m 24s  - 483.93 Mi
run  14h 07m 38s  - 100.92 Mi
2013-05-31 6:12 PM

User image

Champion

Thanks for putting the tracking together. Very excited to see the results!!  Go get 'em guys!!!!

May was a lower volume month for me, but optimistic that the ribs will be healed and I will be fully back on track in June.  i really missed my TRX class!:

Swim: 12h 50m - 24100 Yd

Bike: 27h 31m 56s - 472.5 Mi

Run: 17h 53m 29s - 116.7 M

iTRX: 2h 05m

Walking: 3h 05

PS.  I give up on the formatting.

Edited by SSMinnow 2013-05-31 6:15 PM
2013-05-31 7:40 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Expert

Best of luck to all the racers this weekend. I will be thinking of you while at work tomorrow!

May's totals

Swim: 9h 44m - 27875 Yd
Bike: 29h 21m 35s - 558.76 Mi
Run: 15h 42m 22s - 107.03 Mi

Peeing on bike - 17.2 times (kidding!)

So here are last months totals. Overall a good volume although most pleased with my biking volume. The next time I hit the rode on a Tri Bike will be with my new Shiv! So excited, feel like a kid again waiting for his first bike. This was the first month this year of running over 100 miles. I need to continue to build on this. Swimming volume is decent, but what's more important is this morning I did 2000 yds time trial, focusing on easy stroke, long reach and solid pull, (NOT hard effort), maintaining form and I PR'ed this distance (pool, sans wetsuit). I felt like I could go much longer at that pace. This is without doubt progress!

Next month is going to be a challenge as I am either working or traveling the entire month. The hardest challenge will be to get in my long bikes.

Jim

2013-05-31 8:36 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by thirdstation Need I remind you that you have two wrists? :-)

A person with one Garmin knows how fast he raced.  A person with two Garmins is never certain... Smile

Edited by Hoos 2013-05-31 8:36 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88