BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-08-20 5:14 PM
in reply to: miche033

Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Originally posted by miche033

Originally posted by Sandyfeet Hi All! I'm 41, been running a few years but been off with an injury for about a year . I did a couple of sprint tris a few years ago and had a good time, even bought a road bike. Turned out I was too afraid to ride on the road and too outta shape to join a local club. But I've signed up for an outdoor cycling class, start Thursday and I paid for lap sessions at the local pool. I'm starting to run again too. I work overnights which is relatively new, so I'm trying to figure out how all this is going to work. I'm shooting for a sprint distance in October. FAMILY STATUS: Single, no kids CURRENT TRAINING: Plan to start running, biking and swimming this week! THIS YEAR'S RACES: No races completed this year, but planning on the tri in October. Last race was Ojai to Ocean Marathon last summer, 5 hours (yeah, I'm a slow poke)

Welcome, Sandyfeet! What is your real name?

Oops, sorry, name is Jill. Thanks for the Welcome!

2013-08-20 5:38 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Hi Sandyfeet and welcome to BT and our group.

I just wanted to say that taking a few riding lessons is a really good idea especially if you are nervous about it. You should also invest in some swim lessons if you are fairly new to swimming. Initially it can be frustrating to try and build proficiency on your own. Let us know how your training goes and don't let anything stop you. By all means ask any questions you have. Everyone is very patient and supportive.

I would also say congratulations on your 5hr Marathon. It definitely is an accomplishment to be proud of. Plus as a "PR" your time should be easy to beat in your next Marathon (or at least you have something to aim for).

Thanks, I'm thinking about swimming lessons. I took some a few years ago and feel like I've forgotten everything.
That 5 hour marathon was AWESOME!! I had a wonderful time. I did 5:15 in the same race the year before (also an AWESOME experience) and 6:00 on my first marathon. I've decided I should start thinking more about time, not too much but some. I've only ever raced for the fun and to finish. But I'd be thrilled to come in under 5:00 next time.
But for now, I'm thinking of the sprint in October. When I did it before I was just coming off the Couch to 5k and starting to lose the extra weight I'd been carrying for several years. I did two sprints and a couple super-sprints but didn't really do much training for them. My goals were: survive the water, hope the bike makes it (borrowed an old clunky mt. bike two days before each race), and run without walking even if "running" looks like walking to everyone else!! LOL! Had a great time and essentially want the same experience....with a little more planning and a focus on being as fit as I can be.
My biggest issue is motivation. I haven't found anyone to buddy with yet. I prefer to train in the mornings, but after a 9-10 hour night shift I just haven't been able to do it. I think I have to adjust my mindset and mornings have to become when I wake up instead of a time of day.

This looks like a great group. I've spent the last few days looking over the previous posts. It's great to see such a spread in goals. Motivating for everyone. Thanks for the welcome!
2013-08-20 5:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Here are the August stats as of this afternoon for those that I have access to and who have logged workouts this month:

SwimBikeRunTotal Time
TRIal_of_miles19863.47332.750.3132:09:34
mbehr198310900226.1630.5423:33:43
miche03311250193.3735.6527:03:38
iLOVEwaffles14287.2326256.126:17:00
strykergt19060.15118.3150.226:09:25
wenceslasz7217.85203.9326.1322:55:10
knighton10217.01124.5761.6818:39:48
PsyTri810085.4914.0311:14:14
Fresno_Joe361295.0427.3511:00:05
oriolepwr--10823.510:56:28
SuperClydesdale1859.1482.1624.3810:49:12
ransick----63.510:17:27
cayrip--46.4245.69:52:34
TomsTri-ing--1324.388:15:55
sarah73415036.1821.637:04:41
brrit20019.766.033:25:50
dannywilliams83--18.3611:10:04
lesandtj--15.44--0:45:00

Great job, everyone!  

Edited by Fresno_Joe 2013-08-20 5:58 PM
2013-08-20 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by wenceslasz  My issue is my medial left ischial tuberosity (aka left sit bone). Just where it connects with the saddle. The right side was a bit sensitive but nothing like the left. In my bike fit they found that I tend to sit on the saddle a bit to the right so increasing the pressure on the left. Now I'm trying to correct my rightness and to sit a bit further back on the saddle which seems to help.

The other thing you can do is just be out of the saddle a lot: going over bumps or tracks, stand; going down hills lift your weight off the seat; etc. More weight on your legs, less on your sit bone.

That's a good idea. I have read that we should do some standing as a matter of habit. On my last long ride I wound up standing to climb the last 4km up to Yellow lake. I'd pedal 10 times while standing then coast a bit and repeat. I was surprised that I was able to keep standing for a fair bit of the distance.
2013-08-20 9:24 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by strykergt

Fellow Trainees

I am going to embarrass myself again here. I am preparing for logistics for my next week Oly. I am just going to ask this question all the way.

"Any Layer Under the Tri-Shorts"??????? or Commando all the way?

There i said it.

No embarrassment Carl. Just ditto what Joe said.
2013-08-20 9:24 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Originally posted by strykergt Fellow Trainees I am going to embarrass myself again here. I am preparing for logistics for my next week Oly. I am just going to ask this question all the way. "Any Layer Under the Tri-Shorts"??????? or Commando all the way? There i said it.
No need to be embarrased.  Definitely commando.  Tri-shorts and bike shorts are not meant to be worn with underwear or anything else like that.  The only thing between you and the shorts should be whatever your choice of chamois cream is. 

X2 on what Joe said. There are no dumb questions and no need to be embarrassed. Soon you be walking around at races in skin tight racing clothes and you'll become less modest since there is no way to be modest dressed like that. I still get a little self conscious running on my local bike trail in tri shorts during brick runs, but it is good motivation to run faster :-).

2013-08-20 9:50 PM
in reply to: Sandyfeet

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by Sandyfeet

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Hi Sandyfeet and welcome to BT and our group.

I just wanted to say that taking a few riding lessons is a really good idea especially if you are nervous about it. You should also invest in some swim lessons if you are fairly new to swimming. Initially it can be frustrating to try and build proficiency on your own. Let us know how your training goes and don't let anything stop you. By all means ask any questions you have. Everyone is very patient and supportive.

I would also say congratulations on your 5hr Marathon. It definitely is an accomplishment to be proud of. Plus as a "PR" your time should be easy to beat in your next Marathon (or at least you have something to aim for).

Thanks, I'm thinking about swimming lessons. I took some a few years ago and feel like I've forgotten everything.
That 5 hour marathon was AWESOME!! I had a wonderful time. I did 5:15 in the same race the year before (also an AWESOME experience) and 6:00 on my first marathon. I've decided I should start thinking more about time, not too much but some. I've only ever raced for the fun and to finish. But I'd be thrilled to come in under 5:00 next time.
But for now, I'm thinking of the sprint in October. When I did it before I was just coming off the Couch to 5k and starting to lose the extra weight I'd been carrying for several years. I did two sprints and a couple super-sprints but didn't really do much training for them. My goals were: survive the water, hope the bike makes it (borrowed an old clunky mt. bike two days before each race), and run without walking even if "running" looks like walking to everyone else!! LOL! Had a great time and essentially want the same experience....with a little more planning and a focus on being as fit as I can be.
My biggest issue is motivation. I haven't found anyone to buddy with yet. I prefer to train in the mornings, but after a 9-10 hour night shift I just haven't been able to do it. I think I have to adjust my mindset and mornings have to become when I wake up instead of a time of day.

This looks like a great group. I've spent the last few days looking over the previous posts. It's great to see such a spread in goals. Motivating for everyone. Thanks for the welcome!

So you have improved a lot already. Motivation can be difficult at times and having people to work out with does help a lot. For motivation I:

- read Triathlon books from the library.
- read race reports for races I'm interested in doing (tonight it will be Victoria Half Iron).
- volunteer at local triathlons (to learn and meet likeminded people.
- whenever available take any triathlon training courses you can.
- whenever you don't feel like doing a workout - remind yourself you'll feel really good when you finish it.

As you meet people and learn more about triathlons and working out you'll find it gets easier. Plus having an event date really helps to motivate you.

Keep just having fun and gaining experience and your times will come down.
2013-08-20 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Regarding motivation: I think I have posted this here before, but, How Bad Do You Want It?
2013-08-21 8:55 AM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Good swim workout this morning. Helped rid me of some pre-race nerves. Still, not really enjoying the taper. Want to keep pushing it and working out longer and more intensely, but find myself holding back some so I don't over do it.

Chatted with pool-mate I have not seen in a while. She placed first in her AG at recent HIM. I guess I don't know her so well yet, because when she said she's not sure how much longer she's going to keep doing it, I said, "Well, you could try for a full IM." She smiled and replied that she's already done 3 of them and will probably do a couple more - maybe Japan, Switzerland, and/or Germany -- before she hangs up her gear! In total awe!

When she heard I'm riding a hybrid, she suggested I register for flat tire category. I thought that's usually reserved for moutain bikes, but then I read something that said it's for tires 1.5 in + in width. Used a ruler, and my tire might just be 1.5 inches, but definitely no fatter. It might be a decent idea, since I can't break 17 mph average over the 10 mile distance when I'm at 85 - 90% effort. Any thoughts about fat tire?
2013-08-21 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by Fresno_Joe Regarding motivation: I think I have posted this here before, but, How Bad Do You Want It?

I was loving it til he got to the not sleeping part. I'd rather be unsuccessful and get enough sleep, lol! Maybe that's just because I've been sleep deprived for the past 5 years, thanks to babies. But seriously, you do need to sleep to be healthy and at your top performance. I'm planning, as part of my taper, to take naps. Innocent

PS: My motivation is largely fear and mind tricks. Fear: I sign up for the race and then I think, uh-oh, I better train or I'm really going to regret it! Mind tricks: Whatever works to get me started. For example, I know if I don't go in the morning, I'm not going to do it. If it's my first time [sport here] in a while, I tell myself, "you don't have to go fast, just go." BT's color-coded bar graphs make me happy too. Find out what works for you.

Edited by miche033 2013-08-21 10:24 AM
2013-08-21 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by wenceslasz Almost squished a rattlesnake that was trying to cross the road. Just missed it by a few inches.

Good thing you didn't squish it or you'd be in trouble with cayrip!

2013-08-21 3:20 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by wenceslasz Almost squished a rattlesnake that was trying to cross the road. Just missed it by a few inches.

Good thing you didn't squish it or you'd be in trouble with cayrip!

[/QUOTE

I always like the small things George see's along his rides making solo riding more interesting . I wish i can be like that,

2013-08-21 3:21 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
10 days out from my first Oly sprained left shoulder joint
2013-08-21 3:39 PM

User image

Damn! What happened? Is it something you can rehab in time for the race? I feel for you.
2013-08-21 3:42 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by PsyTri

Damn! What happened? Is it something you can rehab in time for the race? I feel for you.

i think i over did it in my swim . I am not sure may need to see an Orthopedic Dr.
2013-08-21 8:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by PsyTri Damn! What happened? Is it something you can rehab in time for the race? I feel for you.
i think i over did it in my swim . I am not sure may need to see an Orthopedic Dr.
Dang man, that sucks.  Hope it's a very temporary issue.

2013-08-21 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by Fresno_Joe Regarding motivation: I think I have posted this here before, but, How Bad Do You Want It?

I was loving it til he got to the not sleeping part. I'd rather be unsuccessful and get enough sleep, lol! Maybe that's just because I've been sleep deprived for the past 5 years, thanks to babies. But seriously, you do need to sleep to be healthy and at your top performance. I'm planning, as part of my taper, to take naps. Innocent

Well yeah, I don't actually advocate not sleeping.  I just find the speech very motivating.

2013-08-21 9:09 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Originally posted by PsyTri

Apply ice. I've also alternated heat and ice over and over always ending on ice. I've had enough shoulder issues, I even took an old t-shirt and had a friend sew pockets on it so I could surf the net without having to hold ice on my shoulders.
2013-08-21 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4725974

User image

Really like the video joe. I've really struggled with motivation between 12 hour work days and the baby up at night. First sprint is Saturday and I'm so unprepared. I'll definitely post a race report on my poor decision making after.
2013-08-21 10:13 PM
in reply to: #4835937

User image

@psi
Was or is there any burning sensation? How much range of motion do you have?
2013-08-21 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

10 days out from my first Oly sprained left shoulder joint

This is disappointing to say the least but don't write your race off yet. Definitely do the icing as Ransick says and you could try something like "Icy Hot".

How's your range of motion of the shoulder (looking in a mirror - compare it to your opposite shoulder)? What does it feel like (achy, sharp, tight, or something else)?

What were you doing when you injured it and what did you feel at that moment?

2013-08-21 10:44 PM
in reply to: dannywilliams83

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by dannywilliams83

Really like the video joe. I've really struggled with motivation between 12 hour work days and the baby up at night. First sprint is Saturday and I'm so unprepared. I'll definitely post a race report on my poor decision making after.

Hi Danny, don't be too hard on yourself. Even if you are poorly prepared this is just a first event for you and really is more about learning and having fun rather than excelling. You have enough stress in your life, your training and your events should be stress relievers for you (just my opinion).

I think a lot of people have trouble with the swim because they start swimming too fast so start slow and speed up as you feel comfortable. And, if you have to just use breaststroke or any other stroke you like - just keep going.

Good luck and I am looking forward to reading your report.
2013-08-21 11:18 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Thanks Guys

I still have a full range of motion at my left arm ,but i feel pain of 3/10 when moving. I am aapplying cold compress as of now.

ill keep you guys posted.

Edited by strykergt 2013-08-21 11:19 PM
2013-08-22 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by strykergt Thanks Guys I still have a full range of motion at my left arm ,but i feel pain of 3/10 when moving. I am aapplying cold compress as of now. ill keep you guys posted.

Hope it's better soon! All of my pains have come and gone in a few days (she says while icing her shins).

2013-08-22 8:34 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by strykergt Thanks Guys I still have a full range of motion at my left arm ,but i feel pain of 3/10 when moving. I am aapplying cold compress as of now. ill keep you guys posted.

Hope it's better soon! All of my pains have come and gone in a few days (she says while icing her shins).

[/QUOTE

Thanks Rebecca!!!

I am giving it 96 hrs before i try swimming again. I can feel the improvement, but uncomfortable still. I think what caused it all is the lack of stretching before the swim and i lack pre nutrition.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41