General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2015-10-04 9:14 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: RE: 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by leatherneckpa 2/23 - Swim - 25m 12s - 1100.00 yards - 02m 17s /100 yards My college swim coach always told us that if we lost count of our laps to take the lowest number we were sure of, because we would benefit from the extra laps but never from laps we didn't swim. I lost count today and wound up doing an extra 100 yds. C'est la vie. The focus on today's laps was breathing control. I wasn't paying attention to my pace or my kick, except for how they impacted my breathing. My goal, which I achieved, was to swim a steady pace that did not leave me huffin-n-apuffin at the end of the lap(s). For all that, I still turned in times comparable to my first weak efforts upon my return to the pool. All things considered it was a very pleasant workout.

I wish I could swim as fast as your "weak efforts".

Same here... wow!

2015-10-04 9:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Well.. I promised an update, but I'm not too terribly happy with myself at the moment... Okay, I need to account for all the way back to 9/20...

Weight: 256.0 as of this morning.

Swim: Unless it fell from the sky... I didn't get wet...

Bike: 26.03mi on 9/20 and 27.45mi on 10/1

Run: 2.41mi on 9/21 and 3.5 mixed miles on 10/3

Needless to say, my heavy week just didn't happen. I missed my run on the 23rd and was going to make it up on Thurs... Then work happened. I was taking out the back seat of a Dodge Ram while performing an airbag recall (side curtain bags are above the headliner, and the seat has to come out to get to the trim panels to get the headliner... major PITA), and the seat rack locked in the tilted position and I didn't notice. As luck would have it, it snapped shut on the meaty part of my right hand. Let's just say that there was much bleeding and many, many new words created. Luckily, I avoided stitches through judicious use of compression bandages (It's nice to not only have a nurse for a wife, but also having gone through field medicine training in the military), but the bouncing of running and road feedback through my handlebars made both... uncomfortable... to say the very least. I understand it's not a good idea to swim with an open wound... at least in a chlorinated public pool situation... so that was out too.

I did manage to get back on the bike Thursday, and it was bearable. I also wore bike shorts for the first time... comfy... I'll wear them this weekend for the Flatlander to try to lessen the sufferfest that I know it's going to be... Did have one funny bit tho... Volunteered to help set up the start line area for the BCB100 ride in Memphis yesterday. I park my van at Peabody Place and go to where GPS tells me... .8mi away. They're not there, so I look it up again and the site says it's at the corner or G.E. Patterson and Front St... 1.7mi away. Nope. I finally make a call and find out it's really at Beale and 4th behind the FedEx Forum... another 1.0 away. I ended up hoofing it the entire way because I figured there was no parking around... I was albe to help a bit when I got there, I just wasn't planning on running a 5k in Downtown Memphis at 5am... I did meet a few... interesting... individuals during my trek tho!

Edited by WebFootFreak 2015-10-04 9:33 AM
2015-10-04 8:03 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
My rest week was a little more restful than I had planned. After 25 consecutive days I ended up taking a full 3 days off.

I only got 4 runs, and the 1 swim done, for 3:10 total training. My diet was also quiet questionable last week. But surprisingly, I had a slight (0.6lb) drop from last monday. So that was a nice surprise this morning.

My goals for this week,

1. get nutrition back on track. I was very good, but the last month or so have slowly been creeping back into the bad habits. I need to fix this before any serious damage is done.

2. back to normal running, 6 runs for 4:20 total for the week

3. A step up in biking and swimming. 2 x trainer rides this week to go with the weekend long ride. And 2 visits to the pool.
2015-10-04 8:06 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Well.. I promised an update, but I'm not too terribly happy with myself at the moment... Okay, I need to account for all the way back to 9/20...

Your hand injury sounds like excellent justification for not getting the workouts you wanted in. Sometimes life gets in the way and training suffers. This was on of those times. Don't beat yourself up, all you can do is keep on going.

It's good to see you're still with us and getting the training back on track.
2015-10-06 4:21 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
3/23 - Strength - 30m
Strength day. 30 mins of calisthenics and other body weight exercises.
Google "body weight workouts" > Images > Ironman.
I printed a copy of the poster and used that as my guide.
Only 2 sets of each exercise, and THAT near killed me!
2015-10-07 7:50 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey all. Sporadic workouts going on here. I am getting ready to travel to Fla for the weekend. Driving down with my Mom and her cat. (she lives here in the summer, with my brother in the winter). Then flying home on Monday. I hope to get at least a couple of runs in down there. We shall see..

We all just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

2015-10-07 1:51 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

Pretty quiet around here this week. Halfway through the working week here and so far I've done 3 runs, 1 long, 1 medium and 1 short, and 1 swim. This time I ditched the 50m intervals and tried something a bit more interesting, I did a 50, 100, 150, 200, 150, 100, 50 pyramid with 10 second rests. And man, I was struggling by the last 50m of that 200m interval. I've really got to work on my endurance. Still thats motivation to get back to the pool a 2nd time this week.

Life's got in the way a bit this week, and I don't think that I'm going to get any trainer rides in. The plan for the rest of the week,

Th: short run in the pm
Fr: Med run in the pm
Sat: 'Long' bike in the am (maybe 90 minutes)
Sun: Short run at some stage

and a 2nd swim, either Thursday or Friday over the lunch break.

And another nice little milestone this week. My long run last night got me over the 100 hour mark for running this year. Yay me.
2015-10-07 1:53 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

3/23 - Strength - 30m
Strength day. 30 mins of calisthenics and other body weight exercises.
Google "body weight workouts" > Images > Ironman.
I printed a copy of the poster and used that as my guide.
Only 2 sets of each exercise, and THAT near killed me!

I'm a big fan of body weight exercises... or rather I hate the gym with a passion... so body weight it is.

Looks like a good workout. Keep it up.

If you're interested, this is the book that I get my workouts from... when I find the time to do any that is.
http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-Best-Weight-Free-Workout/dp/15948...
2015-10-07 1:55 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by ceilidh

Hey all. Sporadic workouts going on here. I am getting ready to travel to Fla for the weekend. Driving down with my Mom and her cat. (she lives here in the summer, with my brother in the winter). Then flying home on Monday. I hope to get at least a couple of runs in down there. We shall see..

We all just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Sporadic workouts are better than no workouts.

Have fun road tripping and in Florida. Hope you get your runs in too
2015-10-08 4:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
4/23 - Swim - 26m 55s - 1200.00 yards - 02m 15s /100 yards
Nothing like putting yourself behind the 8-ball on your own challenge! What the heck was I THINKING!? Missed 4 out of last 5 days, and that one workout I did was just some calisthenics and isometrics. I mean, sure it kicked my butt, but it wasn't a "real" triathlon workout. I look at strength workouts as supplemental stuff, not primary stuff. For this month, so far, I have already used HALF of my intended rest days. Not good.

So ANYWAY, I decided to "punish" myself for being so lazy the last few days and started my 200 yd distance set a week early. Surprisingly, it didn't hurt at all, and looking at lap times, didn't slow me down at all either.
2015-10-12 12:29 PM

User image

Going to try to keep this short...

Weight: 268.5... yeah

Swim: Real life got in the way again. it's now been 3-4 weeks since I've swam.

Bike: One ride: 62.7mi in 4:06:34 @15.3mph. The one shining star for last week was finally hitting that milestone. I was aiming for 4hrs, but between my recent lack of training and a brutal headwind (20+mph from the north) on the return... I'm still stoked. I did have a partner riding with me who has done several metric and imperial centuries, but the wind was so bad he called the SAG (his wife) about 40mi in. That's when I got stupid. I did what I always do on the bike leg: Started trying to reel in the rider in front of me. I managed to pass 15-20 riders (mostly at the final SAG stop that I skipped ) and some of them passed me back because I was wiped out. I was listening, and I don't have the exact time, but I hit mile 56 at 3:32:something @ 15.84mph. If you look at the numbers you will understand when I say I hit the wall at about the 52 mile mark.... and the wall hit me back right after 56. The last 3 miles were all at single digit speeds... I'm extremely grateful to have been wearing cycling shorts instead of my tri shorts, but I'm still hurting. I believe the thing that actually hurt me the most was nutrition. I had a calorie and carb heavy breakfast, but on the ride itself I only took in 2 bottles of water, 1 banana and a clif bar... stupid. I'm attaching the screen shot of the ride below

Run: One run, 1.6mi. Going to reboot from the beginning... one of these days I may actually finish the dang thing...

Basically, I need to get back on both horses: Diet and Training. I'm in winter mode now, so I can focus on building endurance and losing weight for next year. and I damn sure don't want to end up with a net 0 weight loss for the year (260)...

(Metric.png)

Attachments
----------------
Metric.png (357KB - 5 downloads)

2015-10-12 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well I did not make my goal of 300 lbs or less by Sunday. In fact I was at 315. (4 lbs was from taper /all the wrong carb loading). I did complete my 15th marathon. My one and only race this year. except for a painful blister I am relativity good shape. I would have walked at lunch except for the blister. in a few days I will be fine.

I learned from this race that I really do need to get faster. I need to get to at least a 5:45 marathon time if not faster. even though I finished in the allowed time I was not able to cross the finish line. How ignoring. 2012 same thing but I can understand that. I was racing end of race car from mile 6 and lost the battle at mile 18. This time he caught me at 20 and with the heat it was a slow death march for the last 6 miles. I need to run at least 5:45 or faster so if I need to slow down I will not be too close to the cut off.
2015-10-12 2:55 PM

User image

Weight: 268.5... yeah

oops 258.5
2015-10-12 3:00 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134

Well I did not make my goal of 300 lbs or less by Sunday. In fact I was at 315. (4 lbs was from taper /all the wrong carb loading). I did complete my 15th marathon. My one and only race this year. except for a painful blister I am relativity good shape. I would have walked at lunch except for the blister. in a few days I will be fine.

I learned from this race that I really do need to get faster. I need to get to at least a 5:45 marathon time if not faster. even though I finished in the allowed time I was not able to cross the finish line. How ignoring. 2012 same thing but I can understand that. I was racing end of race car from mile 6 and lost the battle at mile 18. This time he caught me at 20 and with the heat it was a slow death march for the last 6 miles. I need to run at least 5:45 or faster so if I need to slow down I will not be too close to the cut off.

WTG!!! I really wish I had your distance capabilities!
2015-10-12 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Here I sit, reading of folks finishing their 15th marathon and another finishes a 62.7 mile bike, and meanwhile I am doing 3.7 mile walks or 9 mile bikes. Not feelin' really cocky right now. At least my swims are respectable.

That earth-shaking rumble you all felt last week was me, falling off the workout wagon. Have to re-dedicate myself this week. Not even sure I have enough time to meet my October challenge or goals. Will just have to satisfy myself with coming as close as I can get in the time remaining.
2015-10-12 7:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
6/23
Bike #1 - 35m 42s - 3.00 miles - 5.04 Mi/hr

Took LJ to the bike path. It is not easy to ride at only 5mph.

Bike #2 - 32m 11s - 4.50 miles - 8.39 Mi/hr
Cindy and I went for a "real" ride when we got home. First time on the Synapse all season and I had forgotten how much I like this bike. Not much of a workout, but better than the nothing I logged most of last week.

Bike #3 - 20m 45s - 4.50 miles - 13.01 Mi/hr
And a final lap by myself to finish things off.

Total miles for the day - 12.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2015-10-12 7:45 PM

2015-10-12 8:39 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Last week for me was a pass, without being perfect.

Swim, 2 swims 1,550m 32:50
Bike, 1 outside ride, no trainer rides, 32.1km, 1:24:40
Run, 5 runs, 32.8km, 3:54:15

Weight, up slightly on Monday, my nutrition suffered.

My excuse, for the poor nutrition, and missing my Sunday run, is that it was my wifes birthday on Sunday, Friday night was dinner with her extended family, Saturday lunch a surprise party with family friends, and Saturday night out to dinner with some friends. Thats a lot of bad food... and by Sunday all too tired to do anything. So it became a rest day.

This week, same same again, 6 runs, increasing duration slightly again, 2 swims, a long ride on the weekend and hopefully at least 1 trainer ride this time.

And of course FOCUS ON NUTRITION.... that's probably the number 1 thing at the moment.
2015-10-12 8:43 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Bike: One ride: 62.7mi in 4:06:34 @15.3mph.

Congratulations on your ride. That's a great effort.

Basically, I need to get back on both horses: Diet and Training. I'm in winter mode now, so I can focus on building endurance and losing weight for next year. and I damn sure don't want to end up with a net 0 weight loss for the year (260)...

Don't let 'winter mode' fool you. There is no off season!

I'm still in a focus on building endurance and losing weight, and I'm 4 weeks away from race 1 for the summer. So we have similar goals at the moment.
2015-10-12 8:45 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by chirunner134

So between us, we've done 15 marathons! Congratulations on completing your race. And good to see that you're not too beat up afterwards. A nice easy week for you and then back into training for the next one... you can, and will smash that 5:45 time goal next time.
2015-10-12 8:52 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by leatherneckpa
That earth-shaking rumble you all felt last week was me, falling off the workout wagon. Have to re-dedicate myself this week. Not even sure I have enough time to meet my October challenge or goals. Will just have to satisfy myself with coming as close as I can get in the time remaining.

You've had a bad week.

We all have at some point.

There's no point beating yourself up over it.

Don't get too hung up on beating your challenge. Like you've said before, you're a bigger guy and having too many days without a rest day could end up injuring yourself. The last thing you need is a long lay off from an injury picked up trying to meet some arbitrary number of workouts for the month. How about a new goal for the rest of the month, I challenge you to work out 15 days between now (Monday 12 Oct) and the end of the month. That's the same 2 rest days a week you had planned, without the risk of trying to catch up.
2015-10-13 6:13 AM
in reply to: #5080193

User image

Truth. For me "winter season" is the time if year to focus on building, and there are no carrots (events) to chase. I know I desperately need to build my run and overall endurance. I'm hoping weight loss is a part of that.

2015-10-13 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Truth. For me "winter season" is the time if year to focus on building, and there are no carrots (events) to chase. I know I desperately need to build my run and overall endurance. I'm hoping weight loss is a part of that.

I will tell you this I speak from experience. If you want to lose weight winter is the best time. Weight will will help you run and your overall endurance but building your run endurance will not always help your run. 1 lbs weight lose should make you .02 mins/mile faster. That does not sounds like much but for me if I dropped the 65 lbs I would like to lose it will turn me from 14 min / mile to 11:50 min / mile. Plus it makes running much more fun.

This winter my focus MUST be weight lose. I lost about 15 lbs in my 20 weeks of marathon training.

I am not saying not to work on running. at all just focus on using it to lose weight.
2015-10-13 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by bulfrog
My excuse, for the poor nutrition, and missing my Sunday run, is that it was my wifes birthday on Sunday, Friday night was dinner with her extended family, Saturday lunch a surprise party with family friends, and Saturday night out to dinner with some friends. Thats a lot of bad food... and by Sunday all too tired to do anything. So it became a rest day.

And of course FOCUS ON NUTRITION.... that's probably the number 1 thing at the moment.
Aah, wife's birthday and all the attendant celebrations are legit reasons for a tough week. And you have a plan to recoup. I'd say you have it well in hand.
2015-10-13 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by bulfrog

You've had a bad week. We all have at some point. There's no point beating yourself up over it.

Don't get too hung up on beating your challenge. Like you've said before, you're a bigger guy and having too many days without a rest day could end up injuring yourself. The last thing you need is a long lay off from an injury picked up trying to meet some arbitrary number of workouts for the month. How about a new goal for the rest of the month, I challenge you to work out 15 days between now (Monday 12 Oct) and the end of the month. That's the same 2 rest days a week you had planned, without the risk of trying to catch up.

Friel (and everything else I have read) says only increase your goals by no more than 10%. I went and looked at mine and my run and bike goals were up by 100% and 50% respectively. I might just allow myself to ease up on those a little bit. I like your 15 day challenge idea. Might adopt it.
2015-10-13 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
7/23 - Swim - 26m 36s - 1200.00 yards - 02m 13s /100 yards
Rainy, gloomy day. Love working South Williamsport though, because right after school lets out there is almost nobody swimming laps. Knew I was on a time limit because Cindy was at the Y and I didn't want to keep her waiting too long, so all my times felt like I was dragging. Then I got home and enter them into my lap sheet and found that I was actually swimming faster than the last time and I dropped 20s off my 1200 yd total, Happy dance!

While I was sitting in the sauna afterward I got to thinking about it and have decided that sometime this month I also have to do a distance effort, just to see how many yds I can swim non-stop until my lungs give out. I'd be satisfied if it were at least 500 yds non-stop.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 37

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 55250 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 68604 Posts: 1113

2013-12-30 2:13 PM Fechter99

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8857 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614

Athena group vs. Beginner Triathlete group

Started by Tri-Ro
Views: 2597 Posts: 6

2008-09-03 10:34 PM Artemis

Love Being an Athena/Clyde [Newbie] Because

Started by TriAya
Views: 3687 Posts: 25

2007-08-16 1:45 AM Iron_Gus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?