BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-01-19 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3256274

User image

Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL!
Yeah...that means there's still hope for me too...

2011-01-19 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3309024

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
tri808 - 2011-01-19 1:05 PM So something's wrong with me today.  Last night, I woke up at around midnight with an awful bloated feeling.  Like my stomach was going to explode.  It was affecting my breathing, and pretty much hurting my back and putting pressure on my organs.  I rolled around in bed for 3 hours just wishing somone would stab a hose in my stomach to relieve the pressure.

I'll spare some of the details afterwards, but basically I still feel bloated despite going to the bathroom about 12 times in the last 5 hours...but some of the pressure/pain/uncomfortableness has subsided.

Called in sick for work...but not sure what I should be doing.  I have a feeling I'm getting dehydrated as I've lost quite a bit of weight...but drinking or eating anything makes me feel like my stomach will bloat even more and bring the pain back.

I'll give it an hour or two...as things seem to slowly be getting better...but if not, I suppose I'll call my doctor.

Ugh, that sucks dude.  Hit the pepto and hopefully it'll go away.  What the hell did you eat yesterday?  I got something like that while on vacation at Jackson Hole.  Took a day to get rid of it, but you essentially get rid of everything in your body.  I lost 10 lbs that day.  Pretty awesome.  I don't think you can get dangerously dehydrated in a day, but I could be wrong.  I would try to sip on some water or flat gingerale, anything would probably help.  Hope you feel better!
2011-01-19 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3309053

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
jmkizer - 2011-01-19 1:14 PM
tri808 - 2011-01-19 12:56 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-19 2:29 AM
tri808 - 2011-01-18 9:20 PM yeah...form has definatley helped me get slightly faster despite less volume.  The 4000-7000 per week I was swimming on my own last spring was not including my masters classes.  So I was actually swimming more like 6500-10k per week. 

Wow...10k seems like a lot to me.  Is that mostly just swimming, or drills and speedwork too?

At the time, it was mostly swimming and pulling.  I was a really bad swimmer then...and I had motivation to get in the pool 4-5x per week.  When I had breakthroughs...even more motivation.  Now that the improvements are so much smaller...I don't itch to go to the pool nearly as often...

Wait!  So you're saying that there is hope for the Non Fish here?

Oh man...when I first started a couple years ago, I couldn't swim under 2:00/100 yds or run faster than a 10 minute mile.  Thank god my bike was "okay."
2011-01-19 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3309024

User image

Fall River, WI

tri808 - 2011-01-19 12:05 PM So something's wrong with me today.  Last night, I woke up at around midnight with an awful bloated feeling.  Like my stomach was going to explode.  It was affecting my breathing, and pretty much hurting my back and putting pressure on my organs.  I rolled around in bed for 3 hours just wishing somone would stab a hose in my stomach to relieve the pressure.

I'll spare some of the details afterwards, but basically I still feel bloated despite going to the bathroom about 12 times in the last 5 hours...but some of the pressure/pain/uncomfortableness has subsided.

Called in sick for work...but not sure what I should be doing.  I have a feeling I'm getting dehydrated as I've lost quite a bit of weight...but drinking or eating anything makes me feel like my stomach will bloat even more and bring the pain back.

I'll give it an hour or two...as things seem to slowly be getting better...but if not, I suppose I'll call my doctor.

Sip on a sports drink or Pedialyte.  Sounds like a nasty stomach bug.  While the dehydration would take a while to become life threatening it won't long until you start cramping badly.  If your not vomiting I would go for small amounts of bland food and drinks with electrolytes. 

2011-01-19 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3309053

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
jmkizer - 2011-01-19 12:14 PM
tri808 - 2011-01-19 12:56 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-19 2:29 AM
tri808 - 2011-01-18 9:20 PM yeah...form has definatley helped me get slightly faster despite less volume.  The 4000-7000 per week I was swimming on my own last spring was not including my masters classes.  So I was actually swimming more like 6500-10k per week. 

Wow...10k seems like a lot to me.  Is that mostly just swimming, or drills and speedwork too?

At the time, it was mostly swimming and pulling.  I was a really bad swimmer then...and I had motivation to get in the pool 4-5x per week.  When I had breakthroughs...even more motivation.  Now that the improvements are so much smaller...I don't itch to go to the pool nearly as often...

Wait!  So you're saying that there is hope for the Non Fish here?

In my experience from swimming personally and what I have seen around is that you can really just drop a ton of time on your 100 time, but just getting in the pool swimming, and pulling. Just doing this along with some drill work will improve your stroke dramactically and your muscle memory will follow. Then in order to get towards the top of swim times you need to work more on muscular endurance and using short sets an threshold pace to get that true "fish" speed.

Just learning how to swim, how your body glides through the water, and what propels it the best and understanding this can go a looooong way in dropping significant time.  3 visits to the pool doing 6K a week should be plenty of time in the pool to help out. While we are on the topic of swimming here is what happened to me today at the pool...kinda amusing...straight from my log!

Well this was an interesting swim in a lot of different ways. First I left my jammers in Madison so I used my tri-shorts which do not have a drawstring but an elastic waistband, so I had to consistantly pull up my shorts a lot throughtout the course of the swim. This was my first swim at the YMCA in La Crosse and man is that one cloudy pool, which is also a tad but warm for my liking, but it was crazy how cloudy it was...too much chlorine? Then lastly when I choose my set for the day I choose the 3250 distance instead if the 2550 distance. After my frst 1600 yards I realized my arms were too fatigued to finish so I took out some of my main set, later to realize I choose the longer distance. Not the best swim so hopefully things will turn around on Friday in the water.
2011-01-19 1:27 PM

User image

I'm not sure it was a stomach bug.  The pain and discomfort was not like food poisoning or a bad stomach ache...it was mainly just the bloating.  Imagine taking a deep breath to expand your stomach as much as possible.  Now imagine holding that for 7 hours straight.  That's more how I felt.

The feeling has subsided a bit...but it's still there.  I haven't gone to the bathroom in a while...and btw the 12 times I went earlier was all water...no solids at all which is what confused me.  I was able to eat half a peanut butter sandwich about an hour ago and feel okay.

2011-01-19 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3308636

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

RBesecke - 2011-01-19 11:03 AM I got right-about a mile of running in at work, broken into one 450yd run and a bunch of 250 yd runs. I had about 30 extra pounds on. Not much, but it felt good. Unfortunately, when I got home from work I tried to go for a short run (intended 3 miles) my knee hurt. Appointment w/ the orthpaedist tomorrow.

I got some time on the trainer when I got my bike fitted a couple of days ago; does that count? The difference is definitely noticeable; my bike feels much more comfortable.

I'm kinda irritated about my weight. Realistically, I don't need to worry, but I was at 155 before my knee started bothering me, and this morning I weighed-in at 159/160 (couldn't tell exactly, not a digital scale). I thought I was being more careful with what I've been eating. Apparently not as careful as I thought. I know it'll drop when I can run and bike again, and 160 isn't unhealthy, but it's irritating as all heck.

Bummer about the knee Rick.  Regarding the extra weight: Since the bike is comfortable, can you just load up on the zone 2 trainer sessions and become a fat-burning machine?  Otherwise, is there any other cardio that doesn't bother the knee?  I know they won't help your tri training, but the arc trainer and elliptical helped me keep my weight from skyrocketing during the worst of my injury.

I feel your pain (literally).

2011-01-19 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3309095

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-19 1:27 PM Oh man...when I first started a couple years ago, I couldn't swim under 2:00/100 yds or run faster than a 10 minute mile.  Thank god my bike was "okay."

I resemble this remark.

2011-01-19 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3309258

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
tri808 - 2011-01-19 2:27 PM I'm not sure it was a stomach bug.  The pain and discomfort was not like food poisoning or a bad stomach ache...it was mainly just the bloating.  Imagine taking a deep breath to expand your stomach as much as possible.  Now imagine holding that for 7 hours straight.  That's more how I felt.

The feeling has subsided a bit...but it's still there.  I haven't gone to the bathroom in a while...and btw the 12 times I went earlier was all water...no solids at all which is what confused me.  I was able to eat half a peanut butter sandwich about an hour ago and feel okay.

Yeah...that's like exactly what I had!   Hopefully it passes soon. 
2011-01-19 5:50 PM
in reply to: #3309309

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
jtrezza - 2011-01-19 2:48 PM

jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-19 1:27 PM Oh man...when I first started a couple years ago, I couldn't swim under 2:00/100 yds or run faster than a 10 minute mile.  Thank god my bike was "okay."

I resemble this remark.

As do I.  I am happy my swim time has improved to about 2:20/100, I am about 11:30 min/miles for runs and 5k pace is about 10:00 min/miles.  Unfortunately my bike is slow as well at about 16 MPH.  I get my money's worth when I do a tri.  I am on the course a long time.
2011-01-19 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3309115

Lancaster
inmyelement - 2011-01-19 1:33 PM

tri808 - 2011-01-19 12:05 PM So something's wrong with me today.  Last night, I woke up at around midnight with an awful bloated feeling.  Like my stomach was going to explode.  It was affecting my breathing, and pretty much hurting my back and putting pressure on my organs.  I rolled around in bed for 3 hours just wishing somone would stab a hose in my stomach to relieve the pressure.

Sip on a sports drink or Pedialyte.  Sounds like a nasty stomach bug.  While the dehydration would take a while to become life threatening it won't long until you start cramping badly.  If your not vomiting I would go for small amounts of bland food and drinks with electrolytes. 

x2 on the Pedialyte.  Does wonders for dehydration even in small amounts.  For those that don't have kids, it is a drink you give kids when they are sick/have the trots to keep them hydrated as they will likely dehydrate much quicker than a full grown adult.

On a side note, Pedialyte is a wonder drug for hangovers as well. Cool

Edited by ClydeNewb 2011-01-19 6:05 PM

2011-01-19 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3309305

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere

I didn't articulate well: my bike now fits me well, but riding still hurts my knee. Now that everything is set-up to my body (slightly odd proportions for shoulder width and arm length), the bike feels a lot more natural to sit on. It's easier for me to balance my weight properly on the bike, and I can get into the drops without feeling awkward. I hve it on a trainer right now, but it's just sitting there. Every time I try to pedal, even in a really low gear and at a relatively slow cadence, there's still pain right where the IT band connects at the distal head of the femur.

Otherwise I'd be riding on the trainer for 2 or 3 hours a day. If it wwasn't for my pull-up bar and doing push-ups and sit-ups, I'd be all kinds of fidgety. I really hate sitting around like this. I'm actually watching my fancy TV for an hour or two a day. I've never done that. Stupid TV!!

I know that I'm going to be ok and that it's just going to take time to get through this; I'm just being impatient. I've been working really hard to get to a decent level of fitness since I decided to join the triathlon world, so being sidelined 4 months out from my first tri is really frustrating. I know I'll complete it, but I'm not likely to be very competitive.

2011-01-19 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3309818

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
chmoore2 - 2011-01-19 4:50 PM

I resemble this remark.

As do I.  I am happy my swim time has improved to about 2:20/100, I am about 11:30 min/miles for runs and 5k pace is about 10:00 min/miles.  Unfortunately my bike is slow as well at about 16 MPH.  I get my money's worth when I do a tri.  I am on the course a long time.

My runs have never been outstanding, but I've always been decent. When I've been in positions of having regular physical fitness tests for work, I've always been a little better than average, but never at the front of the pack. Likewise, with cycling I can ride better than half-a$$ed, but I get dropped in EVERY group ride I make it to. Swimming, on the other hand, is my achilles heel. I only recently got to where I could swim 400 yards non-stop, and now I don't have access to a pool until Memorial Day. My swim speed is nothing to be impressed with either. I need to spend a week in Tucson or Albuquerque and get a swim coach for a couple of sessions.
2011-01-19 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Just finished my longest swim session ever.  2250 yds with a mix of speed work, drills and threshold training.  I am whipped as I also did a fairly hard run earlier in the day.
2011-01-19 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3309818

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
chmoore2 - 2011-01-19 6:50 PM

I resemble this remark.

haha...I'm with you on that.  I'm on the run course a hell of a lot longer than most people.  Those aid stations are depleted when I go through too.  Those gels belong to me baby!!! 
2011-01-19 9:21 PM

Lancaster
For those that are trying to drop weight, what do you do to curb appetite in the evenings?  We eat dinner at about 5 and I can't get to the gym until about 7:30.  By the time I get home around 9:30 I'm starving after working out but don't want to eat that late when I'm going to bed a short while later.

2011-01-19 9:40 PM

User image

I think you have to eat at least a little bit after you work out.  It's part of the recovery process.  But so is staying up a little while and letting some of that food digest...maybe at least an hour after you work out.  I'm not even sure how you go to sleep so soon after a workout...

That being said...I'm one who doesn't believe in the whole "you shouldn't eat before you sleep".  Guess what happens to the undigested food in your stomach when you go to sleep?  Yeah...it just sits there and slowly digests.  It doesn't magically turn to fat just because your digestive system slows down.  It just means you digest it slower.  It still follows the rule of a calorie is a calorie.  IMO, the whole eating before you go to sleep will make you fat is an urban legend.  If eating before you sleep puts you over your calorie balance...yes, too many calories will make you fat.  But if eating before you sleep is still under or equal to your daily burn, you will not gain weight.
2011-01-19 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3309305

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
jtrezza - 2011-01-19 12:47 PM Bummer about the knee Rick.  Regarding the extra weight: Since the bike is comfortable, can you just load up on the zone 2 trainer sessions and become a fat-burning machine?  Otherwise, is there any other cardio that doesn't bother the knee?  I know they won't help your tri training, but the arc trainer and elliptical helped me keep my weight from skyrocketing during the worst of my injury.

I feel your pain (literally).

I decided to be masochistic and got on the trainer. I probably shouldn't have, but I did 30 minutes with a light effort. The knee burned a little, but not bad. I think that was just the capsacin I put on this morning reactivating with my sweat. It's like getting sprayed with pepper spray, but it helps with the discomfort from the tendonitis.

The "ride" felt ok, and I got on a foam roller right afterwards. My knee isn't bothering the heck out of me, so I'm feeling good about it. It wasn't as much as I'd like to be doing, but it's better than sitting around watching tv. I'm sick of the tv!

The Speed Play pedals really do make a difference. I could feel how my left foot moved on the pedal. I now believe my old pedals, with almost no float, contributed a lot to my knee bothering me. I like these pedals more than I thought I would.
2011-01-19 10:37 PM
in reply to: #3310156

User image

Champion
ClydeNewb - 2011-01-19 8:21 PM

For those that are trying to drop weight, what do you do to curb appetite in the evenings? We eat dinner at about 5 and I can't get to the gym until about 7:30. By the time I get home around 9:30 I'm starving after working out but don't want to eat that late when I'm going to bed a short while later.

First, jason i hope you feel better soon, i had something like that last week but it went away pretty fast.

Now on the quoted section, this is partly why i dont eat as much early in the day, and tend to eat later in the evening for dinner.

I tried the eating small meals all day, and just ended up hungry all the time, so i moved back to my larger meals (i know, if i had more self control this would probably not be an issue but it works well for me).

I'll eat something mid-morning, say 9-11 range. Today it was a big bowl of cherrios and fruit. then i'll possibly have a small snack or not, get my training and work in, and then another workout in the evening/early night, and have dinner around 7-9. Seems to work well for me, i've never had issues eating later at night and having it effect me, just watch total numbers to start with.
2011-01-19 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3310228

User image

Champion
For everyone getting into swimming now, and those asking about it,
agreed with those saying swim more. My single largest set of swim improvements across the board came when i started swimming more, more often. I had two real large jumps in volume, one two years ago, and one three years ago.

The first time i went from ave 3-4k a week, up to 8-10. that on its own, no real structure, just swimming faster some, longer some, etc, dropped my ave 100 times from 1:50+ down to 1:30s for sets.

After that for a year i upped things a lot more (probably more than most non-swimmers ever will), and dropped another huge chunk of time over the next two years.

Getting that time in the water often will go a long way (assuming proper form). You'll gain a great feel for the water and get comfortable and that will do wonders for your swim.
2011-01-20 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3310156

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
ClydeNewb - 2011-01-19 10:21 PM For those that are trying to drop weight, what do you do to curb appetite in the evenings?  We eat dinner at about 5 and I can't get to the gym until about 7:30.  By the time I get home around 9:30 I'm starving after working out but don't want to eat that late when I'm going to bed a short while later.

I'm with Jason on this one.  If you really want to lose weight, it's better to eat earlier than later, but you have to put something into your system to help your recovery.  It's better to eat right after your workout.  If my workout is late, I usually have a medium glass of milk.  That usually fixes the hunger problem for before I go to bed.  My training partner goes with chocolate milk, but I'm seriously sensitive to any sort of caffiene...I'll be awake for the next three hours if I drink chocolate milk right after my workout.

2011-01-20 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3310252

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
newbz - 2011-01-19 11:41 PM  Getting that time in the water often will go a long way (assuming proper form). You'll gain a great feel for the water and get comfortable and that will do wonders for your swim.

Thanks for confirming. :-)
2011-01-20 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3310252

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

newbz - 2011-01-19 11:41 PM For everyone getting into swimming now, and those asking about it, agreed with those saying swim more. My single largest set of swim improvements across the board came when i started swimming more, more often. Getting that time in the water often will go a long way (assuming proper form). You'll gain a great feel for the water and get comfortable and that will do wonders for your swim.

Does the running credo, "run lots, mostly slow sometimes fast, etc." apply directly to swimming as well?  If I increase my volume, what intensity do you recommend?  Should I add an additional workout at (x) total effort, or add increasing yardage to established workouts at (x) effort?

At present, my goal is to increase my swimming volume to 3 swims of 3000 yds/week.  But because I am so darned slow, that will take a big chunk of my training hours.  Also, while I feel I am gaining swim endurance, my swim times are consistently slower than a year ago.  I'm feeling a bit frustrated about my swimming.  I'm actually going to do a timed one-hour swim today and I'll post my splits later.

2011-01-20 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3310521

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
jtrezza - 2011-01-20 8:42 AM

newbz - 2011-01-19 11:41 PM For everyone getting into swimming now, and those asking about it, agreed with those saying swim more. My single largest set of swim improvements across the board came when i started swimming more, more often. Getting that time in the water often will go a long way (assuming proper form). You'll gain a great feel for the water and get comfortable and that will do wonders for your swim.

Does the running credo, "run lots, mostly slow sometimes fast, etc." apply directly to swimming as well?  If I increase my volume, what intensity do you recommend?  Should I add an additional workout at (x) total effort, or add increasing yardage to established workouts at (x) effort?

At present, my goal is to increase my swimming volume to 3 swims of 3000 yds/week.  But because I am so darned slow, that will take a big chunk of my training hours.  Also, while I feel I am gaining swim endurance, my swim times are consistently slower than a year ago.  I'm feeling a bit frustrated about my swimming.  I'm actually going to do a timed one-hour swim today and I'll post my splits later.

Jackie...don't get discouraged.  Did you take some time off from swimming?  You'll get those times back down, so don't be too worried...plus it's JANUARY!!  I would probably do what you are saying.  If you can swing it financially, I would jump into some lessons instead of just adding the yardage.  If you can't, I would just go swim for as long as you can now.  Focus on steady form.  make sure you aren't just going easy.  I think moderate pace is a great way to go and has worked for me.  The idea is that you don't want to go too hard and lose your form.  If you start feeling this happen, slow down a bit or take a minute rest and start again.
2011-01-20 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3310521

User image

Champion
jtrezza - 2011-01-20 6:42 AM

Does the running credo, "run lots, mostly slow sometimes fast, etc." apply directly to swimming as well? If I increase my volume, what intensity do you recommend? Should I add an additional workout at (x) total effort, or add increasing yardage to established workouts at (x) effort?

At present, my goal is to increase my swimming volume to 3 swims of 3000 yds/week. But because I am so darned slow, that will take a big chunk of my training hours. Also, while I feel I am gaining swim endurance, my swim times are consistently slower than a year ago. I'm feeling a bit frustrated about my swimming. I'm actually going to do a timed one-hour swim today and I'll post my splits later.

swimming, assuming you have the stroke down, you can get away with more intensity without it hurting you due to no impact.
Swimming for the most part is entirely interval based, where as in running you'd only do it once a week, if that for most people.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get to the pool, but if you can, swimming most often (vs making 3 swims longer), is a good idea, at least for now. You get in more frequent practice (ie less time to "forget" that feel for the water), less stress on your body per swim, and you can get more of it done at higher quality. from there its also much easier to add 200 on here, 500 there, etc, to make them longer, vs adding a whole new workout.

I understand getting to the pool more often may be hard, that's simply how i would approach it in a perfect world.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 57