BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-06-06 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED

Jackie I am not in military but given the area I can understand the confusion. 

Talking about hills, one of coworkers did 3 Mountain Madness in NC. Look it up.... TOUGH! 

Btw, you guys are quick on f/b. Laughing

2011-06-07 1:26 AM
in reply to: #3535837

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Umm... I think this would be a good time to mention, I have a metric century ride next weekend. Time limit 3.5hrs. Its draft legal but I am solo so no benefit for me. Ernesto, markz, all other endurance riders... tips, suggestions? Route below:

http://www.mapmyride.com/s/event/cycling/virginia/arlington/313858

Gotta do 8-laps of this circuit. Hoping to survive.... 

Aki, endurance riders and fast riders are two differnt things...

While Jackie suggested 18mph average over 100k distance would be a piece of cake for you, without seeing your log, I wouldn't be so quick in saying so. I hope you've done long rides of similar distance before, so you know your sustainable effort, nutrition etc. If not, heck, do it and find out! I would ride by myself for a while and find a rider/group with similar speed and hang on to them... Good luck!

2011-06-07 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3535411

User image

Master
Dallas
mikjamlec - 2011-06-06 3:04 PM

Hi all!  I'm back!  Great trip to NY, saw the wife sing at Carnegie Hall which was very cool.  Then she was on retreat and I had the kids for an extended weekend, so my training has been kaput.  I'm back on it starting today, adding some nutritional goals to it as well.

Three questions: 

First: I'm going to get new clipless pedals for my road bike.  At the same time I'm going to see if the shop will also put on the Garmen cadence sensor.  Any recommendations on pedals or shoes?  I was just going to go with the bike shop recommendations, but wanted to see if you guys had any opinions.

Second: I'm going slow on the run to build the aerobic base.  With all the talk about natural running, seems like now might be the ideal time for me to switch shoes since I'll be building up for a while.  Would you agree?  I never really considered doing that kind of shoe before, but if it is a better long-term option, maybe now is the right time.

Third: I didn't do the Tejas Tri on Sunday.  I had started this year with a goal of finishing in the top half of my age group in some race this year, but obviously that was the wrong goal for me.  So what should I be shooting for?  I mean, if this is day 1, how soon should I try to do a race, and what kind of results should I be trying for?  I'm just having a little trouble defining my goals at this point.  Again, any recommendations appreciated.

Glad to see everyone's progress and nice to be back! (BTW, I definitely would have voted for France!)

Mike

Sorry I've been out, lots of work yesterday.

For your first question, Speedplay zeros are the best clipless on earth, look keo blade a close second.

Second question, TRANSITION with the shoes. The five fingers may be a little too much on the minimalist side. Maybe some racing flats for shorter runs and racing of course. I love Brooks T7.

Third question, look for a Sprint in August or September but only if you can train with some consistency. If not wait for the early fall stuff.

2011-06-07 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3535837

User image

Master
Dallas
ironbaby - 2011-06-06 6:30 PM
jdiis - 2011-06-06 4:20 PM

Ironbaby Like your avatar.  What is your real name?

Alright I'll stop being my usual nerdy self in that case.  

My name is Aki. I might have missed the f/b bus but hopefully never too late. Nice to meet ya'll. :-

facebook - [email protected] 

Umm... I think this would be a good time to mention, I have a metric century ride next weekend. Time limit 3.5hrs. Its draft legal but I am solo so no benefit for me. Ernesto, markz, all other endurance riders... tips, suggestions? Route below:

http://www.mapmyride.com/s/event/cycling/virginia/arlington/313858

Gotta do 8-laps of this circuit. Hoping to survive.... 

You'll be fine, just find a pack at the very beginning and try to stick to them in the very back. That's called sucking wheel! Don't go with the front pack, they usually go between 24 and 27 mph from the get go. I guess you'll notice that real quick...
2011-06-07 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3535718

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-06-06 5:17 PM

@ Mitch...  Sorry your race didn't go as planned.  I think we are all learning so much on here, that good things are to come of it!

@ Jackie...  I am trying to get an appt on Wed...  Running not recommended until then.  It's not the injury but the healing.  I will most likely lose both toenails and there lies the problem....The healing.  Doing a half will put to much pressure on the nail bed and could hinder the repair and prevent a nail growing back correctly and cause additional pressure and pain.  A podiatrist may very well saw it's fine go run though...I'll see.  How is your training going this week?

@ Mike... I second Jackie's comment about your wife.  That is really cool!!!!  

@ Ernesto...  I'll jump on the bandwagon with everyone else with France.  I should know at the end of the month if we are looking at IM UK....  If not the states have tons of 1/2 IM that I will be sure to find one.  I have been looking at training plans....  Depending how this toe issue goes I need to start building a base to be able to start the base phase of training next year.  Also looked at where our house is there.  It is at 7000'!  Lots of good hills and a nice ultra long trail to run.  Not to mention the roads around the house will have very little traffic  and seem to be nice long stretches from the maps.  Won't know milage until we are actually there though.

Whatever happens I know it's not the end and there are other races.  Colorado will bring many new adventures and lots of time to build a solid strong base!!!

Don't worry about the feet, welcome to the world of black and falling toenails! Very normal in our world. About Colorado, this will be GREAT for your endurance training. Living in altitude creates a superb oxygen carrying capacity (read Maffetone's hyperbaria and hyperoxia chapters) that will benefit you tremendously when racing at lower altitudes.

The only limiter (and mostly at the beginning, when you first move) is gonna be difficult to do speedwork. First few weeks just go for very short, easy runs and rides. You will feel you are running out of air, maybe dizzy too. All this will go away when your body catches up with more red cell production (about three weeks into it).

2011-06-07 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3535024

User image

Master
Dallas
squirt - 2011-06-06 12:39 PM

Hey Ernesto, saw on the disco race page you're doing the disco sprint.  Me too!  Maybe see you there, but only if you hang around the finish line for a while!  Like the France idea, and I'll bet your family does too.

Jackie, contgrats on your new job.  Think you might do the disco?  We'd probably be in the same swim wave, so maybe even get to meet you.

Hey Barry, glad to see you still going after it!  Keep up the good work.

See you at the Disco Carol!!! I'm bringing my 70's afro, disco ball and platform shoes!!

I love this race, last year they actually had a Disco band onstage playing some cool stuff.

DISCO, DISCO, DISCO!!!!!!Laughing

2011-06-07 9:04 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN

Ok.  Time for true confession about extreme stupidity.  (Ok, not a congressman twittering lewd photos of himself level of stupidity, but stupid nonetheless.)

On Saturday, I decided to run a few miles barefoot.  I don't run completely barefoot often, but I do it every now and then because it helps enforce good form when running in VFF's.   I even recommended this to Jackie.  After about 1.4 miles I decided to stop and check on my feet since I was running on chipseal and felt I might have been forming a blister on one of my toes.  (Chipseal is different than asphalt.  With asphalt, you mix tar and stones and roll the mixture out.  With chipseal, you put down tar, and then sprinkle it with little black rocks, and then you roll it out.)  Well, running on chipseal is like running on sandpaper.  When I looked at my feet, I had a blister covering the entire bottom of my second-to-smallest toe on both feet (about the size of a dime) and an absolutely huge blister on each foot in the middle of the foot at the ridge where the toes meet the rest of the foot.  Lost a huge amount of skin (it seems like an eight of an inch deep) about the size of a quarter.  (I actually held up a quarter to the.)  Limped home.

I've had blisters before, so I sure it will heal up by my Oly on Saturday, but this is really enforcing my taper until then.  On Sunday and less so on Monday, I could hardly walk.  A bit better now, although I'm getting sore calves from walking funny.  

So while I'm still a big fan of VFF's, as always I emphasize working up very very slowly with them, I'm pretty much giving up going completely barefoot.  This sucks.  

2011-06-07 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3536582

El Paso

Hey guys!

Congrats Jakie on your new job and trainning, 

Ernesto, well yesterday I had my doctors apoinment and the verdict was Chondromalacia of the patella, or something like that, fortunatelly in is not too severe, he did recomended to stop running and riding for a while and to keep icing the knee for 20 min at least 2 times a day, if all goes well i could be back first on the bike in no time and then on my feet, it turns out that I have low arch and the weird part is that im a Supinator, so I need a very cushioned shoe, like the ones that I had, He mentioned that if i wanted to run very slow to go ahead but the recovery will be longer, I dont think that I need that,

Im going to concentrate on my swiming and the eliptcal machine, oh! Im supose to do more streingth trainning for my legs, like squads and standing in my toes, so i guess more time in the gym for the next couple of weeks,..  any recomendations other than to follow the doctors intructions?

France???  thats great!!!  Im sure you will enjoy the view!! and the Run !! 

2011-06-07 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3536654

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-06-07 9:04 AM

Ok.  Time for true confession about extreme stupidity.  (Ok, not a congressman twittering lewd photos of himself level of stupidity, but stupid nonetheless.)

On Saturday, I decided to run a few miles barefoot.  I don't run completely barefoot often, but I do it every now and then because it helps enforce good form when running in VFF's.   I even recommended this to Jackie.  After about 1.4 miles I decided to stop and check on my feet since I was running on chipseal and felt I might have been forming a blister on one of my toes.  (Chipseal is different than asphalt.  With asphalt, you mix tar and stones and roll the mixture out.  With chipseal, you put down tar, and then sprinkle it with little black rocks, and then you roll it out.)  Well, running on chipseal is like running on sandpaper.  When I looked at my feet, I had a blister covering the entire bottom of my second-to-smallest toe on both feet (about the size of a dime) and an absolutely huge blister on each foot in the middle of the foot at the ridge where the toes meet the rest of the foot.  Lost a huge amount of skin (it seems like an eight of an inch deep) about the size of a quarter.  (I actually held up a quarter to the.)  Limped home.

I've had blisters before, so I sure it will heal up by my Oly on Saturday, but this is really enforcing my taper until then.  On Sunday and less so on Monday, I could hardly walk.  A bit better now, although I'm getting sore calves from walking funny.  

So while I'm still a big fan of VFF's, as always I emphasize working up very very slowly with them, I'm pretty much giving up going completely barefoot.  This sucks.  

Trust me, you don't beat me at stupid. If I give good advice now it is based on trial and error (in triathlons or life). Don't worry, consider this part of the taper.

Have you ever considered racing on flats? (like Brooks T7s or similar), the added traction of the running surface could probably make your toe off more efficient. Just a thought... I would give it a try on a 5K to see what happens.

You already have the biomechanics to run perfectly without the arch, it's not gonna hurt to try.

2011-06-07 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: Training Checkup

Ernesto,

If you get a chance, could you please check my logs and tell me what else to do before Saturday besides get my bike and helmet inspected?  I found out what I thought was 600 yards of OWS was really 795.  I'm glad to see I wasn't as slow as I thought.

2011-06-07 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3536713

User image

Master
Dallas
alfredo1414 - 2011-06-07 9:36 AM

Hey guys!

Congrats Jakie on your new job and trainning, 

Ernesto, well yesterday I had my doctors apoinment and the verdict was Chondromalacia of the patella, or something like that, fortunatelly in is not too severe, he did recomended to stop running and riding for a while and to keep icing the knee for 20 min at least 2 times a day, if all goes well i could be back first on the bike in no time and then on my feet, it turns out that I have low arch and the weird part is that im a Supinator, so I need a very cushioned shoe, like the ones that I had, He mentioned that if i wanted to run very slow to go ahead but the recovery will be longer, I dont think that I need that,

Im going to concentrate on my swiming and the eliptcal machine, oh! Im supose to do more streingth trainning for my legs, like squads and standing in my toes, so i guess more time in the gym for the next couple of weeks,..  any recomendations other than to follow the doctors intructions?

France???  thats great!!!  Im sure you will enjoy the view!! and the Run !! 

Sounds like a fancy marmalade or something. I hope you heal soon and YES! SWIM! a lot! one good way to keep some of your fitness.

2011-06-07 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3536950

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Training Checkup
jdiis - 2011-06-07 10:58 AM

Ernesto,

If you get a chance, could you please check my logs and tell me what else to do before Saturday besides get my bike and helmet inspected?  I found out what I thought was 600 yards of OWS was really 795.  I'm glad to see I wasn't as slow as I thought.

Keep it short and fast and make Thursday your last workout. Can you run today and bike and swim tomorrow? Then you can do some fast intervals (running) on thursday morning.  
2011-06-07 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3533959

User image

Master
Dallas

Gabe,

Is your race this Saturday or Sunday? Depending on that, you should make Friday or Saturday your last workouts. Make it short, increase intensity dramatically on the run but for very short periods. If you can find a track, better.

For the bike, go to the velodrome and do 3KM repeats (3 on and 3 off) and do it four times after a 15 minute warm up, finish with a 5km easy spin. Your runs should be between 36 and 48 minutes.

2011-06-07 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3537022

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Training Checkup
evillarroel - 2011-06-07 11:25 AM
jdiis - 2011-06-07 10:58 AM

Ernesto,

Keep it short and fast and make Thursday your last workout. Can you run today and bike and swim tomorrow? Then you can do some fast intervals (running) on thursday morning.  

Good call coach!  I already did swim and a very short run.  Yes, I can bike and swim tomorrow and do intervals on Thursday morning.  Thanks!

2011-06-07 12:27 PM

User image

Regular
Should I try to get a big ride in between now and Saturday? Or couple of 20-30milers will be good to free-up the legs a bit.
2011-06-07 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3537203

User image

Master
Dallas

ironbaby - 2011-06-07 12:27 PM Should I try to get a big ride in between now and Saturday? Or couple of 20-30milers will be good to free-up the legs a bit.
Aki,

Sure, why not.

2011-06-07 1:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Went to a "Doc in the Box" this am about my toes.  It seemed to be a wasted trip.  I have to call the base daily to see a real doctor and the advice given by the one I saw today was worthless.  He said I can "tape my toes if I want to run..  Or don't.."  What??? Really!  He said that my toe issue was "trauma induced and needed time to heal".  My 11 yr old made that determination before I went.  I asked about running the half on Sunday and he actually said that I can do whatever.  Did I mention he barely even looked at my feet....  So glad I didn't have to pay for the visit!
2011-06-07 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3537364

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-06-07 1:45 PM Went to a "Doc in the Box" this am about my toes.  It seemed to be a wasted trip.  I have to call the base daily to see a real doctor and the advice given by the one I saw today was worthless.  He said I can "tape my toes if I want to run..  Or don't.."  What??? Really!  He said that my toe issue was "trauma induced and needed time to heal".  My 11 yr old made that determination before I went.  I asked about running the half on Sunday and he actually said that I can do whatever.  Did I mention he barely even looked at my feet....  So glad I didn't have to pay for the visit!
I got the same diagnostic, did we see the same "professional" by a chance?
2011-06-07 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Jackie, cool you're coming to town.  Yes, do let me know when/where you are meeting for dinner...would love to meet you if it works out .  I'm in Grapevine...right by DFW airport.

Ernesto, cool re: Disco!  This does sound like a fun one.  My hair already kinda looks like an afro...espcecially after swiming, so I won't even have to wear a costume!

Hey Jen, I don't post a lot here, but do try to soak up a little of the wisdom .  Saw the post about your toenail issue, and also happened to see a very good write up on it by my podiatrist, who is a runner and triathlete.  May or may not help in your specific situation, but thought I'd share just in case:

Black Toenails From Running

Posted by: Dr. Marybeth Crane Posted Date: 05/26/2011

Over my 30+ years of distance running, I've had many black toenails. In fact, I suffered one at Ironman Texas last weekend! A few of my friends, who also participated, stopped by the office this week for black toenail treatment. The following is my advice in trying to avoid and treating this common problem. 

Almost everyone who runs will eventually get a black toenail. Getting your first one is a sign that you are now part of the endurance club. Its kinds like cycling. There are two types of cyclists; those that have fallen and those that will fall. While most runners blame a shoe that is too small, this is often not the main cause. Mine was from the well-meaning volunteers who soaked my running shoes trying to cool off the triathletes with their hose! Squish, squish, squish for 26.2 miles equals blisters and black toenails!

If a toe is under pressure from the shoe or a sock that is too tight or too thick, the sustained pressure, step after step, produces an impact or a friction problem between the toenail and the tissue surrounding it. When the tissue gets damaged, fluid accumulates. This is called a subungual hematoma. The red or black color is the result of a few blood capillaries that become broken in the process. The more fluid that accumulates, the more pain. The extra fluid, colored by some blood, accumulates below the toenail. When the pressure gets too great, the existing toenail will be separated from the nail bed.

Really, most of the pressure that results in this "toenail injury" is produced by the regular action of the foot coming forward, thousands of times every mile. Each time your foot swings forward, a little extra blood is pushed into the toe region due to the force of the foot coming forward. If you increase your distance regularly and very gradually, your toes will adjust to each new maximum distance and only complain when you extend farther. In a marathon training program, almost everyone gets at least one black toenail. Running faster too soon and too long will increase the chance of this injury.

Hot weather also improves your odds of getting one. When it's warm, your feet swell more than they would on cold days. Because there is more pressure, and more fluid, there are more black nails generated during the summer months. This is especially true when it is humid!

How do I prevent black toenails?

You'll reduce the chance of a black nail if you ensure that you have enough room in your toe area when you fit your shoes. At least half an inch is needed, when you're standing in the prospective shoes (in the sitting position, the toes aren't all the way forward). If you've had a history of black toenails and summer is approaching (or here), you may want more toe room. When you add more room at the end, ensure that the arch of the shoe matches up with your arch. Also, run in the shoe before you buy it to make sure that the shoe isn’t too big and that your foot doesn't slide forward as you're running, which can aggravate the toe more than a tight toe box.

Do all black toenails need to be treated?

Leave black toenails alone and allow them to grow out if they are not painful. About 70 percent of the black toe problems are best treated by ignoring them. The damaged part of the nail is gradually pushed out, and the foot slowly returns to normal. If they are painful, red, or swollen; time to see your podiatrist.

Can I just stick a needle in it to drain it?

Do not attempt bathroom surgery! Many runners will heat up a needle and drain the fluid under their nail. Often this introduces bacteria and now you have a painfully infected toe! Take any sign of infection seriously. If it continues to hurt or the pain increases, this is a bad sign. Toe infections can lead to cellulitis (blood poisoning), gangrene, and worse, especially if you have diabetes. See your podiatrist first, not last!

Will I lose my toenail?

Yes. It will take a few weeks or months, but as the toenail continues to grow, eventually it shoves out the damaged, blackened toenail. The black toenail is raised off of the toenail bed, and underneath it is often the healthy remainder of your toenail. Your black toenail will gradually loosen from the sides and you will be able to trim it away.

When will my toes be pretty again?

If pretty toes are important to you, you can paint the black toenail or even the thin new toenail, or the bare skin. You can also stop by Healthy Steps and have a prosthetic nail put on by our licensed medial nail technician. Most people won't notice the difference if you use a darker shade of polish. Full replacement of your toenail takes about 3 to 6 months, and the new toenail will often be a bit wavy, thin in some areas and thicker in others. After 8 to 10 months your toenail should be back to normal (unless you get a side infection of fungus….another topic).

Black toenails are part of distance running, but take them seriously or they can stop you in your tracks!

2011-06-07 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3537043

User image

Expert
Guatemala
evillarroel - 2011-06-07 10:31 AM

Gabe,

Is your race this Saturday or Sunday? Depending on that, you should make Friday or Saturday your last workouts. Make it short, increase intensity dramatically on the run but for very short periods. If you can find a track, better.

For the bike, go to the velodrome and do 3KM repeats (3 on and 3 off) and do it four times after a 15 minute warm up, finish with a 5km easy spin. Your runs should be between 36 and 48 minutes.

Ernesto, thanks for the suggestions, race is on Sunday morning so I will focus on doing short intense workouts (bike and run) through Saturday and I hope to do better on this Oly!

Jackie, thanks for your info on chlorine related allergies/congestion and Carol, for posting the info on preventing black toenails.  Fortunately, I still have not experienced this one yet due to training/races, and will keep in mind the prevention part.

Alfredo, hope you get better pronto from your injury and enjoy the swimming!

Jen, best of luck on your 1/2M and Chris, on your Oly tri this weekend, let us know how you both do!

Mike, congrats on your wife singing at Carnegie Hall, very cool and I recommend the Look Keo pedals which I really enjoy

2011-06-07 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3537602

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Carol... Thank you so much for that!  That is in fact the issue...  I had new shoes, ran 8 miles and the toe box design was different on my old shoes causing the damage.   Both nails have separated underneath the nail so it is only a matter of time before I lose them.  The issue is my left nail...  I accidentally kicked my daughters hat and the pain dropped me to my knees.  It hurts in the first metatarsal region of that same toe as well.  That's why I need to know if I need to let it heal some more before adding 13.1 miles of pressure.

Thank you again for that post....It did make me feel so much better!  

2011-06-07 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Who was asking about pedals again??

I second Ernesto on Speedplay Zero!!!  I don't have them yet, but I will be by the end of July.  My husband has them and loves them.  You never have to worry about them being upside down either when you try to clip on.  I've talk with several people and they all recommend them even if they don't use them.

2011-06-07 10:15 PM

User image

Houston, Texas

That was me asking about the pedals.  Thanks for the input guys!

And thanks for the nods to my wife, though I shouldn't imply she sang alone.  She's part of the Arch-Diocesan Choir of Galveston/Houston and performed along with several other choirs from around the country.  They sang the Lord Nelson Mass by Haydn in the matinee and then at the evening performance the choir was solo and sang several classical choral pieces.

I thought about jogging in central park while we were there, but it was the first vacation away from the kids since my daughter was born, so between late nights and sightseeing, I just gave in.

Happy to be back on the trail again, though.  I found a September sprint near Houston that I think I will sign up for.  The timing seems right and it will give me a target to work towards.

Carol - glad to see you posting here.  We shared the mentor in absentia from earlier this year, if you'll recall.  I hope Troy is doing well, I never did find out what happened to him.

And thanks Jen et al for sharing your injuries and aches!  I know that sounds weird, but I feel like it's a great way to help other folks avoid or address the same issues, and I appreciate the chance to learn from your pain!    Here's to a speedy recovery for all!

Mike

2011-06-08 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3537748

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-06-07 5:04 PM
evillarroel - 2011-06-07 10:31 AM

Gabe,

Ernesto, thanks for the suggestions, race is on Sunday morning so I will focus on doing short intense workouts (bike and run) through Saturday and I hope to do better on this Oly!

Jackie, thanks for your info on chlorine related allergies/congestion and Carol, for posting the info on preventing black toenails.  Fortunately, I still have not experienced this one yet due to training/races, and will keep in mind the prevention part.

Alfredo, hope you get better pronto from your injury and enjoy the swimming!

Jen, best of luck on your 1/2M and Chris, on your Oly tri this weekend, let us know how you both do!

Mike, congrats on your wife singing at Carnegie Hall, very cool and I recommend the Look Keo pedals which I really enjoy

Gabe, I meant to say Thursday/Friday your last workout. Since the race is Sunday, do your last run on Friday morning and make it really short (like 2 miles) seasoned with some speed. Good luck on your Oly!!
2011-06-08 11:50 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN

Ernesto (and everyone else)

Ok, pace strategy question time for my oly.  

I swim in the pool 100 yards in roughly 2 minutes.   Assuming the same for the .93 mile swim, that's 33 minutes for the swim.  I will have a full sleeve wetsuit on.  (It was 102 here yesterday, but the lake will still be wetsuit legal for certain.)

The bike is 24.37 miles.   At 18 mph, that's  81 minutes.  

If I then run the 10k at my half marathon pace (7:30), that's 46:30, but let's say 47 minutes. 

Add 4 minutes for transitions, that's 33+81+47+4 = 165 minutes, or 2:45.

I was hoping to do better than that.   

But here's my question.  At my sprint last year (my only tri), I basically didn't pace myself except on the swim.  On the bike and the run, I just went.   But at an oly distance, I have to worry about bonking.   For a run, I know what to do about this (at least at the half marathon pace): pick the right pace and stick with it mile after mile.   Not sure what the right pace is on the bike however.  I don't want to bonk, but I also don't want to leave too much gas in the tank. 

Chris

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84